#28: The man's a joy magnet!

ldyjocelyn

New Thread Title  

44 members have voted

1. 1. WEEEEEEEEEE How many mods does it take to put up a new thread title...and which one do you want?

• Winning people over all the time
    • More kool-aid for me, please.
    • WHERE'S THE SMUT???!!!!!
    • ....having a verra verra good time!
    • Things are progressing!
    • Hannah is My Hero
    • Be warned. He's quite lethally cute!
    • My pocket book is groaning but I'm happy. Sigh.
    • songs chosen by Clay
    • EEEEEEEEEEEE!!! It's really happening!
    • he's teasing us, ya'll!
    • Put the kiddies to bed; this is gonna get good.
    • Holy mother of GUH!!!!!!!
    • I don't give a s**t what Clay chooses to sing on his CD. It's his choice. I'm happy with that.
    • Did you know GUH was not an acceptable scrabble word?
    • He sings, he dances?he drinks tap water?
    • in my mind I will cheerfully add "all the way to the bank".
    • I'm just happy happy. What else can I say? shrug.gif Thanks fer the koolaid?

No offense, y'all, but unless it relates directly to Clay, I'd rather see political talk anywhere but here. The media is pervasive (and contentious) enough for me and quite frankly, I crave a place to take a break from all that turmoil, which is only going to intensify.

I could not agree more. Seeing one particular campaign banner here made me want to "run away" to quote some Spamalot-ese. Far, far away.

ITA with both of you. This is such a fun place with so much Clay love going on and I appreciate it even when people disagree but politics is divisive and some have very strong and at this time negative feelings, myself included. JMO.

Of course, that being said, I still plan to campaign shamelessly for CUTE Sir Robin of Clegg.

I understand the Clegg campaign has taken a controversial position on the hot button topic of the exploitation of swallows to assist in the illegal immigration of coconuts.

spmg.jpg

Pole position? We're talking sports? Yay.

So my sister dropped off a humidifier..I don't know what the hell to do with it...do you put in cold or warn or hot water...anyone?

The humidifier will produce steam so I think that hot water would be just fine, cold ok too but will take longer to produce the steam.

Unless of course it's a cool mist humidifier like mine. The instructions say NEVER to use hot water. So I think you need to decide if it's cool mist or warm mist and I'd suggest doing that by starting with cool water. If it gets warm, it's warm mist. If not then stay with cool water.

Clear as mud? :cryingwlaughter:

Good Morning Everyone,

Have to drop the cat off at the vet this morning to get spayed; my first time having to get her in the cat carrier...should be interesting. She could not have any food after 9:00 last night so she is not happy this morning..poor thing keeps looking at the spot where her food normally is and wondering why it's not there. I'll be glad when this done.

9 Days until Spring!

52 Days until The Closing Night of Spamalot!

54 Days until The New CD!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

Good Morning Everyone,

Have to drop the cat off at the vet this morning to get spayed; my first time having to get her in the cat carrier...should be interesting. She could not have any food after 9:00 last night so she is not happy this morning..poor thing keeps looking at the spot where her food normally is and wondering why it's not there. I'll be glad when this done.

9 Days until Spring!

52 Days until The Closing Night of Spamalot!

54 Days until The New CD!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

Kim, just leave the door open and put one of her favorite toys/blankies/towels in there, and before you know it she'll put herself in. Easy with a cat, whose natural curiosity takes them places......the first time. :lol: After that, you're on your own! :cryingwlaughter: Buy disinfectant. :cryingwlaughter:

Love those pictures with Rosie! He looks absolutely stunning. WHERE is that luckiest1 with our recaps??

Probably too late to help you this morning, aikim, but consider this for future reference. In my experience, an effective and safe technique for crating a cat...Make sure the crate is somewhere you can easily reach it...tucked firmly into one corner of a couch may be good, because it keeps the crate from sliding away from you as you try to put the cat in and you don't have to get all the way onto the floor. OPEN the crate door ahead of time (duh - ha ha). Catch the cats from behind in a bath towel, which you quickly criss-cross around their chest (like at the hairdresser, when they wrap the towel around the shoulders all the way up to your neck) binding the front legs down against the body to immobilize them (otherwise, the cats just leap out of the towel).

Bundle the towel quickly and firmly around the body and hind legs like a mummy (otherwise, they can still back out of the towel, since they can't leap forward) and, holding them against your body, hustle to the crate. Put them in crate, towel and all, and shut the door. Towel naturally falls off the moment you let go of the cat.

Stealth and speed are key. Don't try to bundle a cat head-on, you must come from behind for this to work. If you wrap properly, you can easily keep them from wriggling free, so that it's a done deal. You don't get scratched or bitten and kitty doesn't get hurt. If I recall, our cat hated the crate so much that we had to "drop" him into the crate...in other words, set the crate on its end, door up, ahead of time, then steady it between your feet (or against a couch) when you walk up to it with the bundled cat. Drop cat in and shut door. Naturally, all this is easier if you have a helper to hold the door open and shut it after you. Even our large, strong, and agile Siamese was no match for The Towel. heh

Speaking of towels...

Explain to me why, quite unbidden, the image of a thick terry towel, wrapped low and casually around warmly damp, lean hips...just flashed into my mind? Why? Tell me.

Catching up on recaps from the past few days:

From Ms. Marm (CH) (Tuesday evening show)

Clayngel at CB wrote:

Ohhhhh my goodness! Tonight's show was absolutely amazing!

There was a huge crowd there. Bigger than I have seen on any other week night. I was in the front row and could see that the mezzanine and balcony sections were pretty full and there were people in standing room as well. The audience was very enthusiastic and laughed and applauded a lot for everything. The entire cast seemed to be in a really great mood and were having so much fun with their roles.

Brad Oscar (Sir Bedevere) wasn't there tonight, but his replacement was pretty good.

Tonight I took my mom to the show with me and it was her first time ever seeing it. She's not a Clay fan so it was fun seeing her react to everything. She thought the show was hysterical and that Clay fit in really well with the cast and was funny! She also said that when he first appeared on stage it took her second to realize it was him, especially as Brother Maynard. It was really fun and refreshing to see the show with someone who's never been before because it's like experiencing everything for the first time all over again.

I saw it mentioned up-thread about the Knights of Ni. When the lead Knight does the name-change thing he did in fact sing that mentioned selling yourself or something like that and then said "I'm Governor Spitzer and I approved this name change." The whole place lost it! It was hysterical!!! The audience literally couldn't stop laughing. When it started to die down he said "Not too soon, then?" and that just made everyone crack up all over again! The King was speeachless he kept trying to say his line, but when he opened his mouth he just started laughing. Clay could not contain his smile and looked like he was trying sooooo hard not to laugh. I have never seen him break character before during this scene, it was just so funny.

Some smaller details that I noticed tonight:

After the "Knights of the Round Table" song when God comes to yell at them, Clay yelled "What's going on?" and then Patsy I think had a little delay getting to his spot, which is next to Robin, so then Clay yelled "Patsy?!" it was really cute.

Right before intermission, after "Run Away" the Knights are all screaming and Sir Robin runs behind Sir Bedevere and tonight Clay screamed, "Wait for me! Wait for me!"

Clay seemed to be having a little trouble keeping his hat on his head tonight during the first scene and "I'm Not Dead Yet." He kept playing with it and adjusting it, but he totally worked it into the scene and it was adorable!

He just seems to be getting better and better. The audience was literally rolling in the aisles during his drunken guard scene. His dancing is so good too! I love seeing him have so much fun on stage.

There was a huge crowd at the stage door tonight! Again, it was so many more people than I have ever seen on a weeknight. A very nice woman let me squeeze in next to her at the front of the barricade, but I was kind of far to the right so I didn't know if he was going to sign all the way down there. He came out followed by 3 guys with cameras who took a couple of pictures of him signing autographs before they thanked him and left, so there may be more media coverage in the works! He was wearing a blue striped shirt, dark jeans and nice looking black sneakers. His hair wasn't slicked back tonight, it had more of the "shaken" look. He's gorgeous! He went down the line and luckily did sign where I was. He stopped a few feet down from me. I had my OFC Tote for him to sign and I told him he did a great job, while he was signing it. He smiled, thanked me and said that I was a familiar face! Ahhhh he actually recognized me. I am still in shock. It's so amazing to have someone you look up to as your hero know who you are. I never even thought he would ever know that I existed! I feel so fortunate and happy tonight. He's just so amazing.

I'm in a complete Aiken-fog, but if I remember anything else I'll be sure to post it!

jclay at CV wrote:

I'll give a bigger recap later, but tonight was so much fun. I laughed so hard I cried. The Knights of Ni broke the place up tonight. The song was Roxanne brought to you by Gov. Spitzer (it all makes sense if you've watched the news the last couple of days -especially here in NY).

Claym8 did a great job on stage as the peasant. She didn't look nervous at all. Didn't catch up with her at the stage door, but I can tell from the reports I've read that she had a great time up there.

I love Clay as the drunken/clueless guard. The dialogue is hysterical.

Nope I didn't recognize Rosie when Jerome brought her in. Never saw her face. Now that I know it was her, it makes sense. When I reported her partner's hair as gray, that's what it looked like from a distance. Think it is really blond.

A great and fun night. Clay is so good and looks like he has so much fun in this part.

boundforhvn at CB wrote:

I know we've seen a lot of pictures, but really there never are enough right. Here are mine from stage door on the evening 3/8. Notice the chest hairs on the second one - thud!

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z262/bo...0Door/12345.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z262/bo...20Door/1234.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z262/bo...%20Door/123.jpg

from clotilde (CH)

I promised myself I would make this effort. Ages ago, I would let RL keep me from writing a recap. I will probably repeat what others have said but here goes:

I flew out of Kalamazoo to Detroit last Saturday with front row tickets waiting for me at Will Call that night. I have never sat on or near front row at any other Clay event. I also had way high up Mezz for the Sunday matinee and third row for Sunday evening. As others have shared getting to NY Friday and Saturday was a nightmare. We circled and ended up in Albany to refuel. I watched the hours tick away and tried to be adult about it all. I made it for the Saturday show wearing no make up and the really, really casual clothes I threw on at 4am. What a wonderful experience to sit back and have the day erased with hilarity and talent.

Saw the show in early February. Loved it then but he has taken Robin as far as he can by now. I am so impressed. His dancing had vastly improved in February from opening night (2 weeks). Now his dancing is liquid. He is completely at ease with moving that 6’1” frame around. There was a moment when he actually got his groove on. It was when they were doing side step right, clap, side step left, clap, etc at the big ending of find your grail. He added that groovy neck thing that some people do as they really get into their own dancing selves. Too cool, Clay!

I would have directed the Guard scene with Prince Herbert’s father a little different. I would have made the Guard either more drunk or less drunk and more stupid. Clay has taken that scene up a huge notch. In the beginning of the run, he spoke over the laugh (paraphrasing) “Oh you mean HIM! I thought it was funny you want’n me to guard when he’s a guardl” Now Clay waits for the audience laugh to subside and does a loud, funny laugh…sort of a chuckle to himself…..before he starts that line. Also, when he says “if-if-ah” “if-if-ah” as he tries to remember his question for Dad, Clay reached up and in a head scratching moment, scratched the tin helmet he was wearing. The next night he rubbed the helmet like a bald head in a effort to help him think of his question. Small movement but perfect for the moment. Loved it.

Those who have said that Clay has taken soiling himself to an art are not kidding. It all happens to fast. As his shoulders rise in fear, he yelps, his eyes get huge and there is a look of complete dismay and, then, acceptance, as he realizes there is nothing he can do to stop it except reach behind and limp away. You would swear he has a load in there.

I can’t say enough about the entire How To Succeed number. His second “we don’t stand a chance sire” is totally a plaintive cry that is close to tears. Such sadness! He comes right to the edge of the stage for his “special people” speech and sells his feelings about Broadway people. His voice is strong and thoughtful at the same time. He now notices the piano with excitement and plays up getting ready for a huge solo to a “T.” The pause before the shimmy/stomp sets up that entire sequence. He now gets an undeniable “should I?, can I?” look on his face, takes a visible deep breath, reaches up with both arms, twists his body, and STOMPS and the orchestra blasts as his foot hits the floor. You can feel the energy in the audience jump and with each stomp, the applause starts and continues to build. I am over the moon when he literally yells/sings “Papa can you hear me!” and sings and kick-steps his way to the end. At that moment, both Robin and Clay are Broadway Stars.

Hugs to all the meers with whom I met and shared this wonderful experience. For all those who will attend future shows, I have but one wish. *Dear Baby Jesus, when Lancelot kills Clay, please let his tunic fall to the side as he hits the ground. Mkay?*

Believe it or not, I actually have more to say about the overall production but I will stop now.

from CV via CH:

Another cute recap from d4kkkks at CB:
What another "Spamalot" getaway!!! I was the first on line at the backstage door last night. Thanks to the kindness of my Claymate friend. Clay came to me right away. He took my playbill. He asked where to sign. I pointed at him the part of insert JN Tie. This gave me the guts to say " You master your roles already". He looked at me smiling so sweetly and said " It's about time". Followed by" you came prepared" talking about my JN Tie nicely insert for him easy to autograph. I am in cloud9 again.

Absolutely, definitely, Clay artistically mastered his Broadway gigs. Never any moment, even he was in the shadow, did he stop acting.

As Tower Guard, his attention to coconut (while playing his Helmet tie) than to become a Knights seems so real.

As Dead Guard, I like to hug him as being not so brave Sir Robin. I like to hug him again because of his cute dancing routine with Sir Lancelot and Not Dead Fred.

Not so brave Sir Robin, soiling his pants is so convincing, when he got scared.

I enjoy the "All for one" and "yodeling". I wish he finished it before Sir Galahad interrupted him.

I like the head moves when everyone singing "The find the grail end" act1, Clay did some extra dancing moves. He is so cute in this scene.

How can he smile with open mouth and with wide open eyes and still look happy while doing his cute dancing routine before the Piano playing?

The "haying" is more powerful with his big voice.

What a sight, the foot stumping with vengeance looked of his face. The wide spread of his legs, to avoid kneeling of his skirt.

While singing the part "Papa can you hear me", the first time I saw him shaking his shoulder.

The coconut dancing is so charming (the looks, and his body movement) to watch.

These are for me the most memorable scenes tonight.

tidbits;

6:45pm since it's a getaway show, I got the last SRO ticket.

7:45pm While waiting in front of the Theater, I saw a Greyhound Bus unloading more than 25 passengers going to watch the "Spamalot"; I saw a white stretch limousine unloading 10 passengers; I saw another Greyhound Bus unloading more than 50 passengers; when the Bus passed in front of me , I read a "Quebec" sign; More group of Broadway goers coming; Lots of men than women.

7:50pm I went inside the Theater, I was one of the last people who checked in. I saw Jerome inside obviously because he was tall. I was standing in Aisle 1, instead of standing at the other end, so I can see Clay at the Tower scene better.. One of the usher guy recognized me at the stage last Thursday. He was happy for me. I told him it was also my Birthday. Another sold out show. Even the box seats are taken. As the show started, some latecomers were coming. I saw Jerome walked in front of me followed by the Ladies (this gave the sense that these two Ladies were Rosie & company). I never heard any commotion about them until I read in this thread. The mere that Rosie spends time, money? and effort to come to see the show and Clay? Is a good and positive gesture. Clay did not come to them, they come to him. It's just proper to give the hospitality that they deserve.

from suziebird7

This is my 3rd day back from New York and am just beginning to recover from all the stairs and all the walking. Getting old sucks! Anyway, here's just a few thoughts on Spamalot and NYC. Scroll at will, as I am NO clotilde.

Spamalot: I know that it’s been said a bazillion times, but if you are on the fence about Spamalot, go! I am not familiar with Monty Python and don’t enjoy any British humor that I see on TV, yet at my first show I laughed so hard and long that I made myself sick. I had a whopper of a headache that didn’t go away for hours. It was sooo worth it! Time after time it was funny as heck…and then they’d do something to just take it OTT. In a good way.

I don’t do details, because I am a very unobservant person (not the best trait in a nurse!), but I can share some general observations, all that have been said before. And it has been said before, and I’ll say it again because to me it is the most important point in any critique of Clay’s performance: In a cast of so many very, very talented actors, Clay fits! He so fits!

I originally wanted him to stand out. To be the obvious stah! But this isn’t that type of role. It is a true ensemble piece and if Clay was standing out, well, he’d stand out. That would not be a good thing. He certainly does shine a few times, but does not detract from the whole.

A few shining moments for me: His tower guard dialogue. Fabulous. I wanted it to go on and on. His yodeling. I didn’t know that it was so big and rangy. Loved it. And of course, You Can’t Succeed On Broadway. His spot on comedic timing really comes in to play and it is simply hilarious.

My four showings have all kind of run together, but I noticed the “eyes” between Clay and Hannah at curtain call as well as Clay pointing at her at one of the showings. I immediately thought that it was some kind of joke/wager as to who gets the most applause. Whatever it was, the exchanges seemed very warm. The most applause at curtain call did seem to alternate between Clay and Hannah, IMO.

The mix of attendee’s was great. Young, old, lots of couples, lots of guys, lots of laughter! For my Sat. matinee showing I sat next to a very proper, well-dressed, and bejeweled New Yorker. At intermission I asked her how she enjoyed the show and she had some mild praise, but at the end, during the sing-a-long, she was singing her little heart out and swaying her arms in the air. That’s what Spamalot does for you. It is so heart-warming and uplifting, as well as funny as hell. So get up and go already!

I’m sorry that I don’t have more to say about Clay and the play. I’m not experiencing it in bits and pieces right now. It’s more like just one big, warm, fuzzy ball of happy. Okay, not so sure if that analogy worked, but maybe more details will come to mind later.

Shubert Theatre: Front row mezzanine is THE place to be. I couldn’t believe that it was so close. Truly the best views of the sets and overall action. Up close is amazing in a totally different way, but watch the close rows on the sides. Our seats in the middle of row D left side should have been sold as partial view, IMO, but still enjoyed being so close. Smitten and friend had great experiences with SRO and on a weekday, got to sit after intermission. I also sat in middle row L right side. All of my seats were good. Mez rocked, though.

They only open the doors about 30 minutes before the show starts. That sounds like plenty of time, but if you are someone who needs to use the ladies room before the show, proceed immediately to the restroom. The line is ridiculous and does NOT get shorter closer to show time. They sell beverages including alcohol and some light snacks.

Stage door: I can’t really add anything to all that has been said except that I was surprised how very quiet it is at the stage door both before Clay comes out, and once he starts signing autographs. He generally kind of keeps his head down and moves quickly, but on Saturday night, when he was right in front of smitten and I, he looked up and made eye contact. I don’t know if it was with her, me, or someone else, but it was startling. In addition to the gorgeous eyes, he really does have such a powerful charisma that just knocks your socks off.

If you go with the attitude that it would be cool to catch a glimpse of Clay and an autograph if possible, but you won’t die if you don’t, it can be a fun experience. The energy builds like before a concert. When he steps out all large and in charge, and clearly in his element, it is just GAH. He is beautiful in spite of whatever hair he is sporting. He just seems so solid. I know that’s a weird thing to say, but it is the only way to describe him. Solid.

I did get an autograph, my first, and it will go in the frame that I got from Playbill. I did wait at stage door two other times when he didn’t come outside, and it was okay. I figure that if he doesn’t come outside, he has a good reason.

NYC in general: Two words: Good shoes. You will walk and walk and walk! If you are planning on using the subway (which we did extensively) I strongly suggest that before you go, you get a good book/map or two and become familiar with the general layout of NYC and the subway system.

Some (like waterbaby,) mastered the subway quickly. Others (like me!) ended up on an express train on accident that zoomed past our stop. Smitten, smittenfriend, and I had to get off at the next stop (whatever it was going to be) in order to stop going in the wrong direction. When we stepped off the subway and saw soul food restaurants and hair weave joints, we got our first clue that we were no where near the Upper West Side where we were staying. Well, I always wanted to experience Harlem, and we did find our way back.

Speaking of Upper West Side, I loved The Hotel Bellclaire where we stayed (thanks to ebird’s recommendation). Safe, clean, neighborhood with lots of great inexpensive restaurants and cool shops. The grocery/deli just around the corner looked like a little hole in the wall, but once inside it went on and on. I literally have never seen so many cheeses in my life. Some reviews faulted the hotel’s service but they brought us extra hangers, towels, and even an extension cord quickly. The subway was very close. I’d go back there in a heartbeat.

Other tips, if you’ve never been to NYC before: Wear layers, at least at this time of year it can get very, very cold at night and the wind chill factor is through the roof. Skip the chain restaurants and go for the local deli, bagel shop, etc.

And if you get lost, need to confer with your group, etc, move to the side and don’t stand in the crosswalk, in front of the turnstile, etc. New Yorkers are in a hurry, y’all, so step aside. I’ve decided that in general they don’t deserve their “rude” label. They’re just focused. I had many very gracious New Yorkers help me out, and came away with a very positive impression of New Yorkers.

I would be remiss not to thank ficus, the sunniest little piece of sunshine that ever shined, for the fab get-together. I’m not even going to start naming other names, cause I might forget some, but CHer’s (and CVer’s) are some great people. Wish that I had been able to spend more time with you all. I was trapped in a corner and I didn’t even get to introduce myself because you all started talking before you got to me! Imagine that! CHer’s being chatty!

All in all a wonderful trip with more laughter than I’ve probably experienced in a year, and tons of good memories to tide me over until the next tour.

Ruh-roh! Wonder if this bit of gossip will have an impact on the Clegg Campaign.

A Blind Item from the Old York Post's Page VI gossip column:

BIG WHEEL KEEPS ON TURNING - Which melancholy monarch has a bit of a gambling problem? Sources say he had to hock his horse in order to pay off debts incurred at the very, very round roulette table.

You know, it has always bothered me that people tend to run away from talking about religion or politics. Discussing various points of view on both subjects WITH AN OPEN MIND is how you learn, how you grow. The negative reactions some had to one political banner? Perhaps if one were to open one's mind and LEARNS FACTS instead of propaganda (and that would apply to all candidates), then perhaps one woud not have such violently negative reactions. You still may not agree with a candidate's position on various topics, but perhaps you would respect them more and just agree to disagree. That would take the hatred out of many people's reactions to politics and perhaps then it wouldn't be such a contentious and divisive subject.

Sticking your head in the sand and always running away from things never helps anyone. This is an important election. It is our duty to learn everything we can about all the candidates, things that go beyond the sound bites and the rhetoric put forth by the campaigns. Look into their actual voting records, their actual experience, etc. Yes it is work, sort of like homework. But one reason this country frequently gets into such messes is we have become a sound bite society. We hear the sound bites of the political commercials over and over. We hear Obama's campaign spin every criticism of him as racist. We hear the Clinton campaign spin every criticism of her as sexist. We hear the McCain campaign spin every criticism of him as anti-veteran. But do we actually take the time to find out what the candidates REALLY believe, what their ACTUAL records say about their points of view? Rarely. Then we get disgusted with the whole campaign process and throw up our hands in disgust and apathy sets in. And I believe that is how this country ends up in such a mess. And we only have ourselves to blame.

Maybe it is just human nature. I see the hurt feelings and division that comes about here discussing much less heady subjects such as Clay's hair or song choices! But then again, I see people on these boards putting far more research into finding out about Clay than they do about finding out about any of the presidential candidates. I love and adore Clay, but he is far less important to the future of this nation than this election.

Our economy is in the toilet and getting worse. We are entrenched in a war in Iraq and Afghanistan that is taking many, many lives each day and it appears to be without end or plan. This country no longer has the respect around the world it once had. Gas prices are skyrocketing out of control. People on both sides of the aisle seem to agree that things are a mess. Whoever we elect as President - and also to the House and Senate - this year will help shape our lives as well as our position in the world. Chances are the next president will be appointing several Supreme Court justices - people who shape our laws for generations to come. Whoever is elected this November may make or break our economy for years to come.

These and many other issues do effect each of us and our parents and our children - even our ability to enjoy Clay! It is our obligation to do the work and learn about these candidates and to VOTE! Running away from discussion, running away from the work, reacting to candidates viscerally instead of actually learning the FACTS about them doesn't help anyone, and certainly doesn't help this country.

The key to understanding and respect IMO is an opening of the mind and the ears and taking the time to listen and read and learn, something I do not believe the majority of people in this country do. They dismiss politics as a dirty business, they hate all the candidates, they don't bother to research them and learn about them. Sometimes they don't even vote, but they sure do bitch. All too often, they just run away from the subject and/or hide their head in the sand rather than face the importance of it all because they find it a bit unpleasant.

Folks, this is too important to do that. Perhaps this board is not the appropriate place to discuss something like politics, but discussions must take place. It is incumbent on each US citizen on this board and everywhere to open their minds, do the research, do the work, read, think, get beyond the rhetoric on the candidates' websites and campaign stump speeches, to get beyond - for better or for worse, the candidates race, sex, military service, spouses, looks, and look beyond the media portrayals.

I look at the effort put into researching Clay's producer, his clothes, or the effort put into planning Clay's life and career. If we all put half that effort into looking at the candidates running for political office, this country would at the very least make an informed decision. Clay may be more fun than politics, but when you look at the big picture, he is not nearly as important.

Ok, I'm stepping off my soapbox now and return you to your regularly programming.

ScrpKym1.jpg

IMG_76722.jpg

Here's hoping I've turned the corner on my biorhythm meltdown. Yesterday was just too much. If it was in my hand, I dropped it. First, I spilled a coke on my desk. I hate it when that happens. Then I took three hours of meeting notes on a laptop yesterday afternoon, burned the file to a CD, sent the file to the recycle bin, emptied the trash, stood up and almost simultaneously dropped the CD and stepped on it breaking it into four pieces. So now the laptop is in recovery with IT. When I got to my car last evening I had a fresh crack in the windshield running directly across the driver line of vision -- I knew a rock had hit during the morning commute but thought I had escaped an actual crack. But noooo, I got a doozie. On the drive home, I picked up my cell phone to plug it into the charger when it slipped out of my hand and kerplunk into a full 16-oz cup of water. I totally killed it. I'm a little afraid to go out today. At least I'm getting my biorhythm-bottoming out of the way before going to New York in April. I sure don't want any more broken toes for that trip.

FWIW: Clay is so cute in those pictures with Rosie. I love his face. And I can't wait for the new album. I'm still hoping that Clay will be on the Idol finale this year. Which reminds me, Ryan mentioned that the AI7 Finale is moving from the Kodak to the Nokia. I'm assuming the Nokia is a much larger venue? Oh, and last night I saw David Foster with Katherine McPhee and I wasn't that impressed with either of them. I guess I'm with CG on covering George's Something. Lucky Patti Boyd, George wrote Something for her, and Eric Clapton wrote Layla and Beautiful Tonight for her. What a claim to fame!!! But Just NO to covering Something. I still listen to Abbey Road regularly, it's not yesterday for me at all. And I still adore You Never Give Me Your Money. Because boy you're gonna carry that weight a long time! 1-2-3-4-5-6-7

Here come the stilletos:

Yeah, but honestly? There is a time and place for everything and religion and politics don't HAVE to be discussed and dissected everywhere. Hell, intestinal functions are seriously vitally important to everyone but we don't feel the need to be guilt trip people into talking about it. Accusing people of shirking their duty for not wishing to talk about stuff in a particular time and place? Not cool. The majority of the "American people" don't post here. A lot of non Americans ones do too. The ones that do post here have shown themselves to be intelligent and clever and well informed and only a teensy bit argumentative and a little more opinionated and occasionally willing to participate in selective minionhood and so I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they have pulled every position paper every candidate has released over the last two years (including the Socialist Workers' Party, who has a couple of good points and a whole lot of bad ones).

So if you want a discussion, make a thread, and people can participate or not as they want.

And no, I don't actually remember what color we picked - actually, I don't think we picked a color. So random colors it is!

I don't care what Clay says (or doesn't say) - I don't particularly care for orange.

Yeah, now I'm just playing with the post.

Great post, Claygasm (really, sincerely, great post)...but just to be clear, I don't run away from politics or stick my head in the sand about issues. I have no difficulty understanding the relative importance of Clay Aiken versus world affairs or my responsibility to do the work to educate myself about the candidates...but...since there are many other avenues for me to discuss these concerns, I'd rather not bring them here, to the main page of a fun Clay Aiken fan board.

That's all.

If a separate thread were to spring up on this board where these things can be talked about with actual civility, I might be interested. However, my experience in other forums has shown how quickly real conversation can be shut down when players for the various sides insist The Others are unmitigated a-holes. This is true of religion, politics, or any other emotionally-charged subject.

Or, what KAndre said. :)

I'm here to Find Clay Aiken - in a place where fans of Clay come to PLAY. Doesn't mean I'm unwilling to face or unprepared to deal with the nitty-gritty of "real life".

(((keepingfaith)))

Since some of us on this board are not citizens and don't have a vested interest in any political race, It is nice to come here and not be bombarded with it!

This is my haven!

00lsee, you are a naughty, naughty woman....

bottlecap -- BWAH!!!! Was that blind piece in The Onion?

CG, in many ways I totally agree with you, and yet, I know I do bury my head in the sand regarding much of talk, when it comes to politics, or religion, or even Clay sometimes. It's the "conflict" part of it that makes me way uncomfortable. I do have a reason why I tend to flee with this though...and many parallels can be drawn between this fandom and the state of the world today.

I read this phrase on a different board lately, and I hope this person who created it (who also posts on this board) doesn't mind me borrowing it for a minute: "last word-itis." To keep this to the Clay perspective for a bit -- I think most of us have seen it. IMO, people talk past each other in order to have final say on something in regards to Clay's career, Clay's song choices, etc. Also IMO, it's why more than a few of us finally gave up on our old boards. The ability to "agree to disagree" got totally lost.

I feel the same way with much of politics. I do try my best to read and keep up with the issues -- but the spin in this world today is just so great. And then, you get the same kind of thing I mentioned above, someone always needing the last word. Ultra-conservatives and ultra-liberals alike. And then, there's a bunch of people in the middle just trying to make sense of it all. There will be some that just throw their hands up in the air because they are fed up, being bombarded by so much freakin' information.

I saw the banner that started this whole discussion last night. My thought: I almost posted a banner in order to get equal time for my candidate. But then, I decided it best to just "agree to disagree" and move on.

I guess my hope with this board is that we all find an outlet to learn about the topics to make informed decisions, but that this board is to, first and foremost, celebrate Clay Aiken.

I'm sure none of this made sense. I think I need more coffee.

Besides -- the state of the world today -- I blame Clive Davis. *g*

*and of course, fifty people posted in the time it took me to post my little rambling*

ldyjocelyn

Besides -- the state of the world today -- I blame Clive Davis. *g*

Clive Davis, my butt...you know perfectly well all the troubles in the world can ultimately be traced back to the original epitome of evil - Simon Cowell!

iblameray.gif

KAndre looks around furtively...seeing that the coast is clear, decides to share THE TRUTH!

Actually - IT'S ALL CLAY'S FAULT! We were all perfectly happy in our ignorance of the evils of Ray and Simon and Clive and Perezes and Kimmels and Presidential committees and then that boy showed up just like Prometheus or Coyote or a snake or something and tempted us with his voice and glimpses of his NAKED SKIN and the next thing you know we're sleeping with strange woman from around the country and making sure we have plausible deniability when (not if, but WHEN) security/the cops/the MAN stops to question us...

People are UP!!! **Runs around hugging everyone and tossing daisies!!** I've been lonely!

00lsee, you're new avatar is cracking me up. Claygasm and heck, everybody else, I have to agree with everything you've said.

And this is most definitely all Clay Aiken's fault with an assist from 00lsee who happened to suggest a towel around a pair of slim hips and then hit submit. With huge apologies to muski who I am copying unabashedly......

In my experience, an effective and safe technique for crating a cat cornering a mate...Make sure the crate mate is somewhere you can easily reach it him, tucked firmly into one corner of a couch may be good, because it keeps the crate mate from sliding away from you as you try to put the cat (purposely left blank) in and you don't have to get all the way onto the floor. OPEN the crate door your (purposely left blank) ahead of time (duh - ha ha). Catch the cats mate from behind in a bath towel, which you quickly criss-cross around their his chest (like at the hairdresser, when they wrap the towel around the shoulders all the way up to your neck) binding the front legs down against the your body to immobilize them (otherwise, the (purposely left blank) just leaps out of the towel).

Bundle the towel quickly and firmly around the his body and hind legs like a mummy (otherwise, they he can still back out of the towel, since they he can't leap forward) and, holding them him against your body, hustle to the crate bed. Put them him in crate bed, towel and all, and shut the door. Towel naturally falls off the moment you let go of the cat it.

Stealth and speed are key. Don't try to bundle a cat mate head-on, you must come from behind for this to work. If you wrap properly, you can easily keep them him from wriggling free, so that it's a done deal. You don't get scratched or bitten and kitty doesn't get no one gets hurt. If I recall, our cats hated the crate so much that we had to "drop" him into the crate ...in other words, set the crate on its end, door up, ahead of time, then steady it between your feet (or against a couch) when you walk up to it with the bundled cat. Drop cat in and shut door. Naturally, all this is easier if you have a helper to hold the door open and shut it after you. Even our large, strong, and agile Siamese was Sir Robin would be no match for The Towel. heh

Speaking of towels...

Explain to me why, quite unbidden, the image of a thick terry towel, wrapped low and casually around warmly damp, lean hips...just flashed into my mind? Why? Tell me.

Well, color me clueless about this whole political discussion. I must've missed whatever started the topic...my first glimpse was merryclay's post about politics being divisive and I posted a "huh" emoticon since I didn't know what the hell she was referring to and then all these other posts happened about the virtues and vileness of talking politics here and I'm exhausted.

Whatever. I'll talk politics, but that's not why I come HERE, so if that's the flavor of the day on main, I'll probably make myself scarce--not 'coss I'm avoiding the issues and importance but just because this ain't where I'd like to face them or dissect them. I'm cool with a political thread if someone wants to start one. God knows I'm an opinionated bitch and might have something to add :whistling-1: .

And I'm at work early this morning...don't know how long I'll last but I HAVE to get some things done before my vacation week or any discussions other than 'where can I find a new job?' will be moot. Feel shitty, but hey---them's the breaks.

Love the avie, 00lsee! Clay's such an animated sort, huh?

KarenEh, oh sure...go ahead and copy me---just make sure I get a percentage when you publish, 'kay? :lilredani:

bottlecap---I'm jiggywiddabuttons, yo.

Meh re: Katherine and David last night. She has a sweet voice and whatnot, but...meh.

Anybody else think the group medley sucked donkey balls? :PickMe-1:

bottlecap, you are killing me! :cryingwlaughter:

Late to the party, as usual, and many have already better stated how I feel. I'll just add that campaigning for Sir Robin is about as far as I want to get into politics discussion here, in this thread anyway. As someone else mentioned, certain names & issues make me want to join King Arthur & his Knights in running away....

Sending positive vibes your way today, {{{keepingfaith}}}.

Sending healthy vibes to all suffering from the crud. Oh, and here's a CUTE Knight who looks like he's offering to make you some fresh chicken soup!

amd_aiken_spamalot-1.jpg