#28: The man's a joy magnet!

ldyjocelyn

New Thread Title  

44 members have voted

1. 1. WEEEEEEEEEE How many mods does it take to put up a new thread title...and which one do you want?

• Winning people over all the time
    • More kool-aid for me, please.
    • WHERE'S THE SMUT???!!!!!
    • ....having a verra verra good time!
    • Things are progressing!
    • Hannah is My Hero
    • Be warned. He's quite lethally cute!
    • My pocket book is groaning but I'm happy. Sigh.
    • songs chosen by Clay
    • EEEEEEEEEEEE!!! It's really happening!
    • he's teasing us, ya'll!
    • Put the kiddies to bed; this is gonna get good.
    • Holy mother of GUH!!!!!!!
    • I don't give a s**t what Clay chooses to sing on his CD. It's his choice. I'm happy with that.
    • Did you know GUH was not an acceptable scrabble word?
    • He sings, he dances?he drinks tap water?
    • in my mind I will cheerfully add "all the way to the bank".
    • I'm just happy happy. What else can I say? shrug.gif Thanks fer the koolaid?

Awwwwwww. :wub: Wonderful recap! Thanks for sharing!

Claygary... I echo luckiest... Great recap!!! Thanks!

Hear, hear! I loved your recap Claygary and am so glad you and goldarngirl had such a good time. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

But eeeeeeeeeeeeee I can't wait to have my own memories!!

I'm with ya on that one, Couchie! EEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! Three weeks!!! :00000442:

I've just never cared that much about the distinction between a "cover" and an "original". They are all original to Clay, because he's never recorded them before. None of the songs on OMWH are songs that got any radio play, so unless you are a fan of the artist who originally recorded them (or the songwriter who wrote them and demo'd them) you won't have heard them before. So it's all new Clay music, in my book.

I'll echo the sentiments about ATDW too.....hate to see it become the redheaded stepchild. I love that album with a passion, and I think Clay kinda likes it too. ;) Wonder if we'll get Lonely No More on tour this time?

Recap from last night from imsnoqueen at CH:

I attended tonight (or should I say last night, since it's 3 a.m.) and can confirm that I too saw no evidence of the hip injury. I never saw Clay wince, or favor his hip. I thought the new Sir Galahad did a fine job, particularly as the Black Knight and Prince Herbert's father. I did feel badly for him because he seemed to be having problems with his wig. During "The Song That Goes Like This," a hair on both sides of his face got stuck in his mouth. I thought Hannah might smooth it aside, but she didn't. I noticed him brushing hair out of mouth at least 2 other times. If you weren't sitting close, I'm sure you wouldn't have noticed it.

loveOMC was the peasant tonight and did a good job. She said that, when you're up there, they do all kinds of things to distract you/divert your attention, so it's hard to focus on Clay. I wasn't able to get Clay's signature at the Stage Door, but I did get Rick Holmes' (Sir Lancelot) and Tom Deckman's autograph. I was thrilled because they are my favorites, after Clay. I told Rick that he was a young Steve Martin, and he seemed to be happy with that comment. I wish Hannah had come out tonight, but she didn't.

When I stopped at the Box Office at 5:30 p.m., it was already showing as Sold Out. There were lots of young people in the audience tonight, as well as kids.

Clay did a great job in You Won't Succeed on Broadway...his voice was steller. "Brave Brave Sir Robin" continues to be one of my favorite parts, as Clay sets himself as brave and undaunting, but starts to lose his confidence as the minstrels sing of all the horrible things that could happen to him. I really liked how Clay has slowed down a bit, as he plays Brother Maynard, so you can get the full impact of what he's saying.

We ate dinner at Junior's tonight, and I'd swear I saw David Foster there, when we left. But no one else saw him, so I guess I was mistaken.

I had a chance to spend some time with stripedshirts, which was fun. It was her birthday!

Two of my sisters are arriving tomorrow, one from Toledo, Ohio, and the other from Asheville, North Carolina. They'll be seeing Spamalot for the first time.

And these are the lyrics to As Long As We're Here, courtesy of berkeley at CH:

why do we have to fight

why cant we spend our time trying

I wanna be close to you

Keep love from slipping through... my hands

The words said in anger aimed at someone

Are hard to take back once the damage is done

Let's stop now....

As long as we're here... alive on this earth

I'm gonna love you... for all that it's worth

And one of these days ... we're gonna take off and fly...

Let's make the most of of our time

As long as we're here... (yeah...)

Some people live their lives

Holding their fears... inside them

Afraid to build windows

To let the light of the world in...

They hide in the darkness of self-imposed walls

If they could just tear them down... they'd have it all

I'm gonna love you for all that it's worth

Let's make the most of our time

As long as we're here...

When you're with me

i breath easy

you are my need

right now love me

As long as we're here alive on this earth

I'm gonna love you

I'm gonna love you for all that it's worth

Let's make the most of of our time

I'll make the most of our time

As long as we're here...

As long as we're here...

I've just never cared that much about the distinction between a "cover" and an "original". They are all original to Clay, because he's never recorded them before. None of the songs on OMWH are songs that got any radio play, so unless you are a fan of the artist who originally recorded them (or the songwriter who wrote them and demo'd them) you won't have heard them before. So it's all new Clay music, in my book.

I'll echo the sentiments about ATDW too.....hate to see it become the redheaded stepchild. I love that album with a passion, and I think Clay kinda likes it too. ;) Wonder if we'll get Lonely No More on tour this time?

I couldn't have said better myself, luckiest, so I'll just :word: you! I will add, though, that I would absolutely LOVE to hear him sing LNM live. Particularly if he works that growl in the beginning.... :beatingheart:

Thanks Lucky. It's funny I have no interest in hearing demos or anybody else sing these songs but am interested in the lyrics since Clay said this is his journey. For those who do listen though would love to hear impressions.

This is fun!

First, I've got to join in on the ATDW love. It was wonderful for me to see that video again yesterday of Clay talking about the songs and the album with such love and excitement. I agree that the album should be a classic someday.

About covers: There's a guy on my Grateful Dead scholars list who is always seeking the originals of songs the Dead have done. What? The Grateful Dead a cover band?? No, I wouldn't say that they were, but, in addition to the songs written by Garcia/Hunter and Weir/Barlow (only half of each pair being band members) the Dead did a lot of covers and folk tunes. Just got a message yesterday about his tracking of a song, one of my favorites, "Man Smart, Women Smarter," which folks thought was a Harry Belafonte original. He had a radio hit with it in 1956. There was another version that came out about the same time, maybe one year earlier, maybe one year later, no one could say for sure, by the Brute Force Steel Band. Now this guy has found a recording 10 years prior by Macbeth the Great (who is the father of a guy from Weather Report). The liner notes from that album mentioned another recording, by the song's composer Norman Span--aka King Radio, although the notes had the date wrong. Eventually the guy was able to track down a 1939 recording in which the composer is backed by Gerald Clark & his Caribbean Serenaders. Clark also backs Macbeth the Great on his live version from seven years later.

The same kind of story is often the case for songs that were hits before the era of the singer/songwriter. The version that becomes a hit is rarely the original version, and even in the era of the singer/songwriter, the version that becomes most popular isn't always the original. While I don't think popularity is the ultimate criterion, I don't think I can accept the term "authentic," which for me has implications that any subsequent version is inauthentic in some way. Musically, some versions are superior to others, although always a matter of taste, and the original isn't always the best, IMO. "Original" works better for me than "authentic." Clearly in today's industry parlance, for some that term "originals" is stretched quite a bit, and seems to mean any song that wasn't a hit already in the US. But if "original" refers to the original recording, it can always be found and identified.

I love covers with a passion, which isn't to say that I love them just because they are covers, but I'm always interested in hearing what another artist or group does with a song. I think it's cool that the Grateful Dead will sing a song in the 80's that was a hit in the 50's and originally recorded in 1939. And if people never covered songs, then so many songs would be lost. Seems like my boyfriend was talking about something like that when he did the "Classics" medley on the DCAT tour (that losing some of these current songs would be no great loss).

I agree about the lyrics & the journey. I love that this seems to be such a personal project for Clay and that he seems to be so willing to share it with us. I'm a truely sappy, hopeless romantic anyway and he manages to amplify my schmoopiness factor by about 100.... :wub: I did listen to the links provided and liked the songs, particularly The Real Me, but can't wait to hear what Clay & Kipper came up with. I'm also very intrigued by the song that Kipper brought to him with the R&B sound - that Green Eyed Soul needs a chance to be heard by everyone!

My favorite artist BC is Luther Vandross and covers is what he did best IMO. My second favorite album of his was a total cover album with his cover of You've got me goin' in Circles my favorite with Love Won't Let Me Wait being a close second. I love the originals and also his versions. And what do you know... this album that I love so much peaked on the R&B chart at #85. And what, there have been six albums since he died with a new one coming out this year? I guess eventually all the music in the vault gets heard.

Word, couchie! I guess dead men are allowed to do covers. :cryingwlaughter:

Clay also mentioned on the JBT that UM was on the charts in four different versions in the same year (none of them the original). One of my attractions to Clay from the demos on was his ability to find great songs--songs that worked for him. I think he has a terrific ear for that. At the JNT05 my sister was momentarily disappointed when she found out that Clay hadn't written the Christmas songs she didn't recognize, until I said, "but he found them."

pets jmh fondly...

I totally agree with the girl on covers...like y'all are surprised.

And I freakin' love ATDW - and I live in hope to hear LNM live. But I would pay stupid/crazy/insane money to hear "Broken Wings" live. With long chestnut hair. To me personally.

And couchie, I'm with you on the Luther love.

eeeeeeee on the Broken Wings live. One of these days. But I'm so excited about new album and I did love what I heard of On My Way Here. It was SO Clay. It sounds like they took really good care in picking the songs.

ETA and I should probably stop posthoing!!

But I would pay stupid/crazy/insane money to hear "Broken Wings" live. With long chestnut hair. To me personally.

See, this is why I am KAndre's minion! BW with long chestnut hair!!! YUMMY!

but she's not sharing him...but hogging him all to herself!

I upgraded my final show soooo my good and eh tickets will be on sale, check the thread. Fear is sooooooooo happy. I happened to be on line when someone posted the tickets and almost broke my fingers in replying. She still has O center pair tickets for all other shows Friday, Saturday and Sunday moring. link up to may 3 (the matinee are in another thread, same info. Sadly, she cannot make her shows and has all the tickets up for resale at cost.

Covers - don't start me. I remember posting that as I look through all my albums of singers, not singer songwriters, most of the songs ontheir albums have been previously recorded. Why? Well, because there are only so many good songs and the rest suck. If you wandered into the Ruben thread, you would have seen he signed with a new major label (good for him! One of the top 3.) and he will be recording Classic songs (i.e. covers) - Good for him again. I guess evil Clive did not force that on him.

hugs14.gif

I am glad you had a good time From Calgary

Hi Beautiful People!

I'm checking-in with a shout out that I'm away from here for a day or two more as my father is in the hospital and my mother is ailing at home -- double duty for me as my sister is in NY! So -- I'm preoccupied with daughterly duties -- and lots of driving to the Medical Center for the past and next few days. And just when things are breaking loose I'm missing it!! Be back soon. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Hi Beautiful People!

I'm checking-in with a shout out that I'm away from here for a day or two more as my father is in the hospital and my mother is ailing at home -- double duty for me as my sister is in NY! So -- I'm preoccupied with daughterly duties -- and lots of driving to the Medical Center for the past and next few days. And just when things are breaking loose I'm missing it!! Be back soon. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Make sure to take care of yourself as well!!! Sometimes we forget to do that. Sending good vibes to you and your family.

keepingfaith, you and your family will be in my prayers. Have you had a chance to talk to your sister? Didn't she see Spamalot last night? I'd love to hear her recap!

I'm loving the discussion this morning, unfortunately, I don't have time right now to add to it. Maybe later today....

Gibby, If you guys like barbecue, there's a great restaurant on 43rd between 6th and Broadway (close to the theater)--Spanky's. It wasn't as crowded as the restaurants closer to the theater and it was REALLY good with huge portions. Carol and I shared a salad (BIG) and a rack of ribs. Plenty for both of us! OMG, I wish I had some right now!

Roxie's is good too--but it's very packed, and my daughter's camera was lifted from her purse once when we were there, so keep things close. Roxie's charges for sharing unless you each order something, so be aware of that. If you ask the waitperson, you can find out the "rules" about how much you each have to order.

If you're in the mood for a busride--go up to 87th and Amesterdam and have breakfast or lunch at the Popover cafe. SO GOOD!

I upgraded my final show soooo my good and eh tickets will be on sale, check the thread. Fear is sooooooooo happy. I happened to be on line when someone posted the tickets and almost broke my fingers in replying. She still has O center pair tickets for all other shows Friday, Saturday and Sunday moring. link up to may 3 (the matinee are in another thread, same info. Sadly, she cannot make her shows and has all the tickets up for resale at cost.

Covers - don't start me. I remember posting that as I look through all my albums of singers, not singer songwriters, most of the songs ontheir albums have been previously recorded. Why? Well, because there are only so many good songs and the rest suck. If you wandered into the Ruben thread, you would have seen he signed with a new major label (good for him! One of the top 3.) and he will be recording Classic songs (i.e. covers) - Good for him again. I guess evil Clive did not force that on him.

Considers buying tickets for closing weekend. :unsure: Checks bank account after April trip. :( Remembers that there's a summer tour coming up! :)

Thanks for the Ruben updates, Play. I always thought his first album should have been a more classic R&B sound and if that included covers, so be it. I was sooooooo disappointed in that first release.

Keep meaning to thank you for the hillarious Peep Art the other day, too! I emailed those around and everyone's been getting a kick out of 'em! :lol:

Prayers & positive thoughts for you and your family, {{{keepingfaith}}}.

hugs14.gif

I am glad you had a good time From Calgary

Good for you, play! And can I put you on the payroll to find me better seats for closing night? I swear to upgrade you need to be on the computer 24/7!!!

It will probably take a backseat for awhile, but I think one day it will get the respect it so deserves. When Clay wins his first Grammy, whatcha wanna bet that ATDW is no longer called a covers cd, but a cd of classics... betcha! (hope so!) :cryingwlaughter:

I so agree! You probably don't want to hear this, but I think you and I share a brain. I love the way you think. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

eeeeeeeeeeee I was just wondering if popover cafe was still there. YUM!

Yes!!! And the popovers and food are out of this world!!!!