#28: The man's a joy magnet!

ldyjocelyn

New Thread Title  

44 members have voted

1. 1. WEEEEEEEEEE How many mods does it take to put up a new thread title...and which one do you want?

• Winning people over all the time
    • More kool-aid for me, please.
    • WHERE'S THE SMUT???!!!!!
    • ....having a verra verra good time!
    • Things are progressing!
    • Hannah is My Hero
    • Be warned. He's quite lethally cute!
    • My pocket book is groaning but I'm happy. Sigh.
    • songs chosen by Clay
    • EEEEEEEEEEEE!!! It's really happening!
    • he's teasing us, ya'll!
    • Put the kiddies to bed; this is gonna get good.
    • Holy mother of GUH!!!!!!!
    • I don't give a s**t what Clay chooses to sing on his CD. It's his choice. I'm happy with that.
    • Did you know GUH was not an acceptable scrabble word?
    • He sings, he dances?he drinks tap water?
    • in my mind I will cheerfully add "all the way to the bank".
    • I'm just happy happy. What else can I say? shrug.gif Thanks fer the koolaid?

First, I've got to join in on the ATDW love. It was wonderful for me to see that video again yesterday of Clay talking about the songs and the album with such love and excitement. I agree that the album should be a classic someday.

About covers: There's a guy on my Grateful Dead scholars list who is always seeking the originals of songs the Dead have done. What? The Grateful Dead a cover band?? No, I wouldn't say that they were, but, in addition to the songs written by Garcia/Hunter and Weir/Barlow (only half of each pair being band members) the Dead did a lot of covers and folk tunes. Just got a message yesterday about his tracking of a song, one of my favorites, "Man Smart, Women Smarter," which folks thought was a Harry Belafonte original. He had a radio hit with it in 1956. There was another version that came out about the same time, maybe one year earlier, maybe one year later, no one could say for sure, by the Brute Force Steel Band. Now this guy has found a recording 10 years prior by Macbeth the Great (who is the father of a guy from Weather Report). The liner notes from that album mentioned another recording, by the song's composer Norman Span--aka King Radio, although the notes had the date wrong. Eventually the guy was able to track down a 1939 recording in which the composer is backed by Gerald Clark & his Caribbean Serenaders. Clark also backs Macbeth the Great on his live version from seven years later.

The same kind of story is often the case for songs that were hits before the era of the singer/songwriter. The version that becomes a hit is rarely the original version, and even in the era of the singer/songwriter, the version that becomes most popular isn't always the original. While I don't think popularity is the ultimate criterion, I don't think I can accept the term "authentic," which for me has implications that any subsequent version is inauthentic in some way. Musically, some versions are superior to others, although always a matter of taste, and the original isn't always the best, IMO. "Original" works better for me than "authentic." Clearly in today's industry parlance, for some that term "originals" is stretched quite a bit, and seems to mean any song that wasn't a hit already in the US. But if "original" refers to the original recording, it can always be found and identified.

I love covers with a passion, which isn't to say that I love them just because they are covers, but I'm always interested in hearing what another artist or group does with a song. I think it's cool that the Grateful Dead will sing a song in the 80's that was a hit in the 50's and originally recorded in 1939. And if people never covered songs, then so many songs would be lost. Seems like my boyfriend was talking about something like that when he did the "Classics" medley on the DCAT tour (that losing some of these current songs would be no great loss).

I love ATDW. My response to YSRN and Claygasm in defining the term 'cover' was never meant to devalue any of Clay's cover work. I defended ATDW prior to listening to one note over at the OFC. I have the battle scars to prove it.... :cryingwlaughter:

Clay is a vocal stylist in my opinion and I have great respect for his glory chords...regardless if he is recording a cover or not.....Even though I may not particularly care for or gravitate to a certain song/track, I always find some aspect of his phrasing that touches me.

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

keepingfaith I am thinking of you....

I love ATDW. My response to YSRN and Claygasm in defining the term 'cover' was never meant to devalue any of Clay's cover work. I defended ATDW prior to listening to one note over at the OFC. I have the battle scars to prove it.... :cryingwlaughter:

Clay is a vocal stylist in my opinion and I have great respect for his glory chords...regardless if he is recording a cover or not.....Even though I may not particularly care for or gravitate to a certain song/track, I always find some aspect of his phrasing that touches me.

Oh gosh!! I know that you love ATDW. We did battle side by side. My post was much more general and esoteric--having to do with the use of the term in general and not specific to ATDW. Sorry for giving the wrong impression.

keepingfaith I am thinking of you....

lightmyfire..oh we all know that! The covers question from CG just got me to thinking about other artists. ATDW will never be a red headed step child here although I have noticed at TWoP for instance..the only other place I read regularly, that happiness for the new album still comes with bitterness about ATDW. It's a bit sad but hey, for the people who want to forget it...they'll have something to hold on to with new music. To me... every stepping stone in this career of Clay is something to treasure in some way. Clay can make me love just about anything...hmmm maybe I'll listen to Mandy again hee.

{{{{{{keepingfaith and mom and dad}}}}}}

It will probably take a backseat for awhile, but I think one day it will get the respect it so deserves. When Clay wins his first Grammy, whatcha wanna bet that ATDW is no longer called a covers cd, but a cd of classics... betcha! (hope so!) :cryingwlaughter:

I so agree! You probably don't want to hear this, but I think you and I share a brain. I love the way you think. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

ahhh... ialreadyam... you may want to rethink that... some people think I'm pretty far out in outer space in some of my thinking. :cryingwlaughter:

KAndre rubs her hands together in glee...

I still refuse to listen to the mouse song!

KAndre.... but... but... but.... do you at least listen to Gladys Knight say he's magical???? I LOVE that!

Play... congrats on your upgrade!!! Lady luck was smiling on you fo' sure!

Lightmyfire... I like that... song stylist. He's an artistic, creative, song stylist. Ya' think that will all fit on his business cards along with lyricist, actor, dancer, philanthipist, humanitarian, ambassador and sexycutesingerguy??? :cryingwlaughter:

ldyj... I LOVE Clay's Alone!!! Not the first part so much, but when he moves over by the band and turns sideways and belts it out. I just watched some JBT last night and stayed up too late to see all the medleys. YUM!

Hi LMF!! Thanks for chiming in! :)

When Clay wins his first Grammy, whatcha wanna bet that ATDW is no longer called a covers cd, but a cd of classics... betcha!

Hee. You're probably right!

Mandy, yikes!

I'm not picky about covers/not covers, but I do like to ponder if/how the music industry determines one is or isn't. Sounds like their line moves to suit whatever project they're talking about.

*pets Alone*

I'll admit to not loving some of ATDW, but that's true of any album by any artist. I also LOVE some of it, and after seeing some of the live versions, I love some of what I didn't before. I don't tie any fan-generated label drama to any album/song, so it has nothing to do with any of that; just personal preference. My faves from ATDW continue to be BW, LNM, and TOA. LAA is growing on me, which I only found out last night when I was singing along thinking, oooo, I like this one, and then realized what it was. :cryingwlaughter: I can listen to some of the songs I don't like as much and still find things to love. That's just cuz it's Clay tho. Seriously, the song about mice... can't listen at all. BUT, if I was stuck on a deserted island and it was all I had, I'm sure I'd listen and oo and ah. Hee. I begrudgingly like BYLM now and I hated it before... so live Clay saved that one for me.

I also like to listen to other people sing other people's songs, so listening to the demos sung by other singers is ok by me. I never really think... ooo, this is XYZ's song. I can like Prince's WDC and Clay's on totally seperate levels. And KC's and Clay's Solitaire too. Clay singing Solitaire will never remind me of my childhood kitchen with the clack-clack curtains, so he can't really "own" the song to me. It's MINE. Hee.

Claygasm, have you ever been to Better Burger? I'm thinking of going there instead of Juniors because they have vegetarian items and an organic bent. It's on 9th and 46th.

FRENCH FLOPOVER | 11.95

An eggy, baked pancake (like a hearty crepe) filled with brie, roasted pears, diced jambon de paris & scallions

Oh yum! We'll skip the ham part tho. Heh.

What exactly is popover cafe and do they have vegetarian popovers???

popovercafe.com

Ok, I thought I was full from lunch until I looked at that menu. Now I'm ready for dinner. YUM!

It will probably take a backseat for awhile, but I think one day it will get the respect it so deserves. When Clay wins his first Grammy, whatcha wanna bet that ATDW is no longer called a covers cd, but a cd of classics... betcha! (hope so!) :cryingwlaughter:

I so agree! You probably don't want to hear this, but I think you and I share a brain. I love the way you think. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

ahhh... ialreadyam... you may want to rethink that... some people think I'm pretty far out in outer space in some of my thinking. :cryingwlaughter:

Oh Yeah? Me too! You'd be amazed what I believe... :cryingwlaughter: Esoteric is my middle name.

KAndre rubs her hands together in glee...

I still refuse to listen to the mouse song!

KAndre.... but... but... but.... do you at least listen to Gladys Knight say he's magical???? I LOVE that!

See? FLove her comments. So Prophetic!

ldyj... I LOVE Clay's Alone!!! Not the first part so much, but when he moves over by the band and turns sideways and belts it out. I just watched some JBT last night and stayed up too late to see all the medleys. YUM!

Yup, yup! I watch that portion over, and over and over again. :sickyet:

What exactly is popover cafe and do they have vegetarian popovers???

popovercafe.com

Yum! There's lots of things i can eat there!

I'll admit to not loving some of ATDW, but that's true of any album by any artist. I also LOVE some of it, and after seeing some of the live versions, I love some of what I didn't before. I don't tie any fan-generated label drama to any album/song, so it has nothing to do with any of that; just personal preference. My faves from ATDW continue to be BW, LNM, and TOA. LAA is growing on me, which I only found out last night when I was singing along thinking, oooo, I like this one, and then realized what it was. :cryingwlaughter: I can listen to some of the songs I don't like as much and still find things to love. That's just cuz it's Clay tho. Seriously, the song about mice... can't listen at all. BUT, if I was stuck on a deserted island and it was all I had, I'm sure I'd listen and oo and ah. Hee. I begrudgingly like BYLM now and I hated it before... so live Clay saved that one for me.

I did always like LAA because I loved and somewhat identified with the lyrics, but otherwise this is me. BYLM was saved by Live!Clay! but I don't love it.

Claygasm, have you ever been to Better Burger? I'm thinking of going there instead of Juniors because they have vegetarian items and an organic bent. It's on 9th and 46th.

Never heard of it but it looks good! Another alternative for me - and my meat eating friends.

BetterBurger

FRENCH FLOPOVER | 11.95

An eggy, baked pancake (like a hearty crepe) filled with brie, roasted pears, diced jambon de paris & scallions

Oh yum! We'll skip the ham part tho. Heh.

OMG this without the ham sounds devine!!!

Why am I suddenly hungry????

Any FCAers going to be in the Schubert area after the show on the 17th April? Theres a coffee brewing! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Yes! The more the merrier! Holaknight.gif

Hello, All!

I'm still behind, but this made me laugh. My cuz who sent it to me has no clue why it's extra funny to me at this time . . . hope it gives you a laugh, too!

A Message from John Cleese 

To the citizens of the United States of America:

In light of your failure to nominate competent candidates for President of the USA and thus to govern yourselves, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence, effective immediately.

Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will resume monarchical duties over all states, commonwealths, and territories (except Kansas , which she does not fancy).

Your new prime minister, Gordon Brown, will appoint a governor for America without the need for further elections.

Congress and the Senate will be disbanded.

A questionnaire may be circulated next year to determine whether any of you noticed.

To aid in the transition to a British Crown Dependency, the following rules are introduced with immediate effect:

(You should look up "revocation" in the Oxford English Dictionary.)

1. Then look up aluminium, and check the pronunciation guide. You will be amazed at just how wrongly you have been pronouncing it.

2. The letter 'U' will be reinstated in words such as 'favour' and 'neighbour.' Likewise, you will learn to spell 'doughnut' without skipping half the letters, and the suffix -ize will be replaced by the suffix -ise. Generally, you will be expected to raise your vocabulary to acceptable levels. (look up 'vocabulary').

3. Using the same twenty-seven words interspersed with filler noises such as "like" and "you know" is an unacceptable and inefficient form of communication. There is no such thing as US English. We will let Microsoft know on your behalf. The Microsoft spell-checker will be adjusted to take account of the reinstated letter 'u' and the elimination of -ize. You will relearn your original national anthem, God Save The Queen.

4. July 4th will no longer be celebrated as a holiday.

5. You will learn to resolve personal issues without using guns, lawyers, or therapists. The fact that you need so many lawyers and therapists shows that you're not adult enough to be independent. Guns should only be handled by adults. If you're not adult enough to sort things out without suing someone or speaking to a therapist then you're not grown up enough to handle a gun.

6. Therefore, you will no longer be allowed to own or carry anything more dangerous than a vegetable peeler. A permit will be required if you wish to carry a vegetable peeler in public.

7. All American cars are hereby banned. They are crap and this is for your own good. When we show you German cars, you will understand what we mean.

8. All intersections will be replaced with roundabouts, and you will start driving on the left with immediate effect. At the same time, you will go metric with immediate effect and without the benefit of conversion tables. Both roundabouts and metrication will help you understand the British sense of humour.

9. The Former USA will adopt UK prices on petrol (which you have been calling gasoline)-roughly $6/US gallon. Get used to it.

10. You will learn to make real chips. Those things you call French fries are not real chips, and those things you insist on calling potato chips are properly called crisps. Real chips are thick cut, fried in animal fat, and dressed not with catsup but with vinegar.

11. The cold tasteless stuff you insist on calling beer is not actually beer at all. Henceforth, only proper British Bitter will be referred to as beer, and European brews of known and accepted provenance will be referred to as Lager. Australian beer is also acceptable as they are pound for pound the greatest sporting Nation on earth and it can only be due to the beer. They are also part of British Commonwealth - see what it did for them.

12. Hollywood will be required occasionally to cast English actors as good guys. Hollywood will also be required to cast English actors to play English characters.  Watching Andie McDowell attempt English dialogue in Four Weddings and a Funeral was an experience akin to having one's ears removed with a cheese grater.

13. You will cease playing American football. There is only one kind of proper football; you call it soccer. Those of you brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play rugby (which has some similarities to American football, but does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full kevlar body Armour like a bunch of nancies). Don't try Rugby - the Australians and Kiwis will thrash you, like they regularly thrash us.

14. Further, you will stop playing baseball. It is not reasonable to host an event called the World Series for a game which is not played outside of America. Since only 2.1% of you are aware that there is a world beyond your borders, your error is understandable. You will learn cricket, and we will let you face the South Africans first to take the sting out of their deliveries.

15. You must tell us who killed JFK. It's been driving us mad.

16. An internal revenue agent (i.e. tax collector) from Her Majesty's Government will be with you shortly to ensure the acquisition of all monies due (backdated to 1776).

17. Daily Tea Time begins promptly at 4 pm with proper cups, never mugs, with high quality biscuits (cookies) and cakes; strawberries in season.

God save the Queen.

Only He can.

John Cleese

:cryingwlaughter:

. . . a letter from God! hee

So did anyone go to the Clique store and get their cuddle up with Clay blankie for $25?

So fast you'd think Clay actually came with the blankie for snuggling! :cryingwlaughter:

Annabear...how much longer until you head out on your great adventure?

Three weeks from tomorrow! :twinklewhore:

Hee, Cotton!

00lsee, how.... what.... where.... who.... ??? :cryingwlaughter: