#28: The man's a joy magnet!

ldyjocelyn

New Thread Title  

44 members have voted

1. 1. WEEEEEEEEEE How many mods does it take to put up a new thread title...and which one do you want?

• Winning people over all the time
    • More kool-aid for me, please.
    • WHERE'S THE SMUT???!!!!!
    • ....having a verra verra good time!
    • Things are progressing!
    • Hannah is My Hero
    • Be warned. He's quite lethally cute!
    • My pocket book is groaning but I'm happy. Sigh.
    • songs chosen by Clay
    • EEEEEEEEEEEE!!! It's really happening!
    • he's teasing us, ya'll!
    • Put the kiddies to bed; this is gonna get good.
    • Holy mother of GUH!!!!!!!
    • I don't give a s**t what Clay chooses to sing on his CD. It's his choice. I'm happy with that.
    • Did you know GUH was not an acceptable scrabble word?
    • He sings, he dances?he drinks tap water?
    • in my mind I will cheerfully add "all the way to the bank".
    • I'm just happy happy. What else can I say? shrug.gif Thanks fer the koolaid?

Twin, those pictures of GreenSweater!Clay! are adorable. He does look like a little baby! A cute baby!! I thought he looked extra adorable in that sweater!

Liney! :lol: Good job on the arrows! Hee.

I didn't find the errant extra Clay Double in the picture, someone at Clayversity saw it I think. I just noticed them talking about it so I went and looked and there it was... kewpie-headed Clay. LOL!

I wonder if this is just a mock-up cover. Or if there's a sekrit meaning. Ooo.

I think songs that are not distributed in a mass market can be considered originals, or at least not covers. Clay seemed pretty hesitant with saying they are "originals" but remember he said they hadn't been heard by 95% (or whatever number he used) of the people. That sort of makes them not covers. The mainstream has never heard them.

Not sure if there's a magic number or what?

Maybe Lightmyfire, who I see lurking :F_05BL17blowkiss: has a better answer.

To me a cover is someone doing a version of a song that was previously a hit. I doubt that's the official definition but if nobody ever heard the original version then the new artist can bring it to the awareness of the public. I don't consider Invisible a cover song just because some boy band in Englad recorded it too, maybe a few months before Clay.

Ooooo! Are pigs flying? The OFC has the album news up and the album hasn't been released yet!!

http://www.clayonline.com/story/News/clays_new_album-4

Thanks for the thoughts on what makes a cover a cover. I have to say I never really thought about it before. I like couchie just assumed if someone sang a song that was a hit by someone else they were doing a cover of the song. But how big of a hit did it have to be?

Perhaps ldyj's hubby has something. Perhaps its a "cover" if it was a hit by someone else and its an original if written by or for the artist otherwise they are just songs chosen by the artist.

Clay really does have another head? That must be his "we". heh

Covers? Clay has been very up-front (down, smutters) about the origin of some of the songs. Some came to him gently used (none had wide circulation/were hits). Of course, when Clay's finished with them, they will be thoroughly used. Thoroughly.

*jealous*

Twin, those pictures of GreenSweater!Clay! are adorable. He does look like a little baby! A cute baby!! I thought he looked extra adorable in that sweater!

Liney! :lol: Good job on the arrows! Hee.

I didn't find the errant extra Clay Double in the picture, someone at Clayversity saw it I think. I just noticed them talking about it so I went and looked and there it was... kewpie-headed Clay. LOL!

I wonder if this is just a mock-up cover. Or if there's a sekrit meaning. Ooo.

I think songs that are not distributed in a mass market can be considered originals, or at least not covers. Clay seemed pretty hesitant with saying they are "originals" but remember he said they hadn't been heard by 95% (or whatever number he used) of the people. That sort of makes them not covers. The mainstream has never heard them.

Not sure if there's a magic number or what?

Maybe Lightmyfire, who I see lurking :F_05BL17blowkiss: has a better answer.

Ciao babe! A cover is a new take on a previously recorded song. The original is considered the authentic version. A cover is taking the authentic version and recording it with an alternative measure/fashion. Clay with a ATDW made certain that he respected the authentic version, but gave it his interpretation, his twist to the covers as he did with Solitaire.

Oh, my, I see the forhead and hair line. Weird, but you really don't notice it much unless you look at the full picture. It is weird. maybe it is for subliminal advertising for the forehead lovers. You know how someone loves this hair and someone else loves a different style. Well you put the majrity hair inthere and subliminal hair in different pictures. There was a time when I would look at all pictures and try to pick out the subliminal nudes, etc. Lots of disgusting stuff in advertising.

I am with the I don't want to hear it people thistime, Unless it is on promo squad, where I am still trying to earn a prize. I go and rate Clay Up, UP UP. But of course, I have to rate others down, down, down, like Fergie, I just find her music revolting or with other protooled wonders.

I have a serious question. What defines a "cover"?

I mean "The Real Me" is apparently on someone's album so doesn't Clay having it on his make it a cover?

I know Clay considered my favorite TOA to be an original, but yet it appeared on a Bon Jovi album (was it as a bonis track - I dont remember).

So when is a cover song not a cover????

And is anyone else really curious about the song Kipper brought with him "Everything I Don't Need" that Clay called left of center???

ETA: Liney, thanks for the diagram. I see it now! Obviously, I need these diagrams cause I'm blind! :cryingwlaughter:

Or just distracted by how pretty Clay looks in hi-res..... :hubbahubba:

CG... you're welcome! As payment for this extraordinary task, blow Clay a kiss for me next time you see him, since I cannot.

My understanding of the cover vs. original is that an original has not been recorded and released on an album in the U.S. Bon Jovi's was a bonus track only released in Asia/Japan so it could be classified as an original. Clay could claim Invisible as an original on MOAM cause it was recorded and released in the UK, not here. He said in the WRAL interviews that he was doing a couple of covers but that they were so obscure that very few would have ever heard them.

If ATDW can be called a cd of covers when it has 4 originals on it, then OMWH can be called a cd of originals when it has a couple of covers on it. :cryingwlaughter:

I am a Personal Manager now... do I get a raise???? :cryingwlaughter:

LMF - does it just have be previously recorded to be considered a cover, or did the original have to a hit or at least widely heard? What about couchie's example of "Invisible" or even TOA?

Each individual has a different definition of what they consider a cover... :cryingwlaughter:

I consider any track that was recorded and published first, the authentic version regardless if it was a hit or not.

Wooooohoooooo for more album news! I' with ya Couchie - the best thing about this album so far is that Clay seems so happy with the process, the concept and the music.

Okay , so Muski wants me to find a good but relatively inexpensive restaurant for she and I and our hubbies to enjoy before the show tonight. Does anyone who has been to Spamalot have a suggestion? Something not too far from the theater would be great. There are so many restaurants here, and so far we've really enjoyed the ones we've tried.

EEEEEEEE!!!!!! I'm going to Spamalot in less than 24 hours!!!!!!!!!

I was just going to lurk for a few mimutes then head off to bed and THEN I saw this -

Does anyone see the "ghost" looking over Clay's shoulder in the Hi Res picture?

What IS that?

th_OMWHCover_HiRes.jpg

Look closely -- there's a forehead and some hair... or is it just an illusion? Maybe it's younger Clay on his way "here". :lol:

YIKES!! That literally sent a chill down my back. jeezlouise THAT is some kinda strange. Just over his right shoulder it appears to be a/his crown. WTH? That ought to make for some interesting dreams tonight... :fca:

And this -

please don't trash ATDW in the process. I still love the album dearly.

ITA! I LOVE that CD. It was the first CD of Clay's I owned! It was when I first discovered him!

It is beautiful and hope it becomes a classic one day as it so deserves....IMO. I heart ATDW

And I feel compelled to pipe up one last time (I promise) about the fugly green sweater.

Sorry, but I just have a physical reaction to it everytime I see it. It's like I begin to itch all over. Every time. eek

Only 2 more sleeps and it's Claytime!! EEEEEE

g'nite all....

From a blog.

The wait is over, Claymates! Clay Aiken will release his new album, On My Way Here, May 6th. The first single hasn’t been selected yet but that didn’t stop Clay from lining up a summer tour after he wraps up his run in Monty Python’s Spamalot. Above is the cover for the album.

-

Want more Clay? Of course you do! A series of webisodes will be playing on AOL Music’s PopEater blog. Check the first one out here.

Okay , so Muski wants me to find a good but relatively inexpensive restaurant for she and I and our hubbies to enjoy before the show tonight. Does anyone who has been to Spamalot have a suggestion? Something not too far from the theater would be great. There are so many restaurants here, and so far we've really enjoyed the ones we've tried.

EEEEEEEE!!!!!! I'm going to Spamalot in less than 24 hours!!!!!!!!!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! for you all--have a blast!!

I'm sure you've heard of Junior's by now--it's right across the street. John's Pizzeria is a few blocks away: John's Pizzeria. Great food and very reasonable. I like Roxy's Deli--huge sandwiches. Not cheap, but if you split them, you'll be full and well fed. It's the next block after the Marriott Marquis on the same side of the street (Broadway) headed away from the theatre.

I totally see the forehead and hairline on that hi-res photo!

What I was thinking is maybe the cover "folds out" and behind it are pictures of Clay in his former 'looks'.

It is a bit spooky tho! It looks a bit like the MCWL cover hair, or the TV Guide photo shoot.

nite-nite! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I totally see the forehead and hairline on that hi-res photo!

What I was thinking is maybe the cover "folds out" and behind it are pictures of Clay in his former 'looks'.

It is a bit spooky tho! It looks a bit like the MCWL cover hair, or the TV Guide photo shoot.

Emmy's red carpet??

I leave my house for one night and look what happens?!? All Clay breaks loose!

...I think I'm going to grab my lovely green sweater and curl up with it in the corner over there...and I'm keeping my eye on that dude trying to look over Clay's shoulder, because that's just a wee bit creepy. :P

(though I do like the idea of a wrap around CD cover with pictures of different looks/ages of Clay)

Good Morning Everyone,

39 Days until The Closing Night of Spamalot!

41 Days until "On My Way Here" is here!

96 Days until The Summer of Clay! :whoohoo:

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

Gibby - I recommend's John's Pizzeria too. The food is good. Its in an old church complete with stained glass windows. They have more than pizza, the salads are huge and splitable. And its right across the street (44th) from the Shubert.

Other than the cheesecake I do not understand everyone's love affair with Juniors. I thought it was over-priced and had terrible service and the food was not good. JMO and all that.

Give both muski and Mr. muski a hug for me and have a GREAT time at Spamalot! And if someone wants to call me with a post show report, someone has my cell number! I would love to hear your reactions!

Ruben has a thread? Can someone point the way?

I liked Juniors. We had good service. The food was yummy. I could see the stagedoor from my seat. :)

I also liked Chevy's. Great food. Never tried John's Pizza, but I would like to.

I see the ghost over Clay's shoulder, too. Will be interesting to see if it's still there on the CD cover. Maybe it was intentional? Weird, for sure.

YAY for the OFC putting the album news on the site. Things are progressing!

Crap, I'm SO not caught up, but wanted to post the following, and I'll see y'all tonight after work!

I would do a recap, but as many others have already said, it’s all been said….so, let me just say:

Thanks to JetBlue for ontime, comfortable, friendly flights! This message not brought to you by Elliot Spitzer.

Goldarngirl and I would definitely fly JetBlue again.

Not too many thanks to Carmel Limousines who took over an hour and two phone calls to pick us up at JFK; and were on time but not very pleasant taking us from the hotel back to JFK. I would not fly Carmel again, and next time will take the hotel’s (likely more expensive) solution.

Thanks to the Milford Plaza Hotel, which is old but pretty clean, is in a great location relative to the theatres, restaurants and Times Square, and whose staff is just wonderful. Even the “foney people”, eh me myb and goldarngirl?

Would definitely use them again too.

And we believe Clay has slept there.

Thanks to the Europa Deli/Restaurant on 8th Ave between 43rd and 42nd streets (?) approx. It hosted us several times on the weekend, and the staff and food and selection are great.

Definitely recommended for inexpensive breakfast/quick lunch/after show dessert.

Junior’s is in a prime location for stagedoor watching, but was only OK for me. It’s very, very, very busy and noisy and quite expensive; if you’re like me and can’t eat huge portions, it’s a waste of money IMHO.

Thanks to dancermom for her pleasant company at lunch and guided tour of Times Square! Not SO sure I should be thanking her for the suitcase full of multi-colored M&M’s that seems to have followed me home.

Would you believe that’s the only sightseeing we did?

Thanks to neelie and DH, rcknrllmom and Kayla, yoyo4321 (about TIME we met!) me myb and goldarngirl for a great dinner at Sofia’s. If you’re looking for a dinner spot, this one is also recommended by us. It’s on 46th (?) between 8th and Broadway.

Thanks to tsunamimommy and rhustress for their company at lunch, even though I’m sure they’ll wonder WTH I am if they see this! :lol:

Thanks to the nice lady, tall with dark hair and long arms that grabbed my Playbill from me on Friday night and got Rick to sign it; I recognize you but don’t know what board you’re from! What a very nice thing to do!

Special “Hi’s” and hugs to all the people I saw in New York and thoroughly enjoyed spending time with once again: Kayla and Joy, Neelie and Den, goldarngirl and me myb, comfiecozyclay and Virginia, stripedshirts, hotclay, yoyo4321, tsunamimommy, rhustress, dancermom2 …and “Hi!” again to those I met for the first time: tiggywinkle, Sandy from Cali, the darling Victoria . If I’ve left someone out, I apologize! It was not deliberate, just the product of a failing mind in the Aiken fog.

…and finally, a few special moments I’m glad I was there for: a hug and a head on shoulder at Chris Seibert’s last show; the sung “Amen”; several pants soilings :biggrin: ; the top 1” of his hair from 20 ft back at one stagedoor. It was all amazing.

And of course, the biggest thanks of all to Mr. Aiken; the man who never fails to thrill me, inspire me, make me laugh, make me cry. The man who takes me places I’ve never been, with people I never see enough of, and makes me never want to leave. Thanks for the memories.

Regarding covers, I'm sure there are many interpretations of what a "cover" song is and I think there are purists who only think original music is that written by the artist themself (like ldyj's hubby, and my son). In fact, I don't think many of the critic's who reviewed ATDW, considered the BonJovi song an original. It's interesting to me, if you take a song like "Unchained Melody", when someone else records it, it's almost always considered to be a cover of the Righteous Brothers song, when in fact that version is itself a cover.

Another song, "How Do I Live" recorded both by Trisha Yearwood and LeeAnn Rimes at about the same time, which one is considered a cover?

Maybe it has a little to do with if the song was ever widely distributed or a hit, or if it was recorded by someone not as well known.

I do know this, I'm so happy that we're getting new music from Clay soon, I just feel the excitement.

I really enjoy reading all of the Spamalot recaps, but the last paragraph of From Claygary's got me a little choked up.