#34: So, how about that Clay Aiken?

Ansamcw

Thread Title  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• You mean, it?s not all dressing up and dancing at FCA?
    • But I swear I tulibu dibu douchou Clay!
    • Tulibu dibu douchou
    • Until he starts singing with it though, it's a non-issue for me.
    • I guess I'll stay a Clay fan as imperfect as he is just because I'm imperfect too and he sings so good.
    • IF IF IF IF IF
    • IF IF IF IF IF uh
    • Clay is not just marching to a different drummer, he has a whole new fabulous marching band!
    • I'd still be a fan of anything else he may sprinkle his magic on.

Gibby and Cotton, thanks for the explanations about Clay's voice. I have to admit that I've been playing hooky lately and listening to this guy (who's Australian BTW, Hee!) who I think, after reading Cotton's post, swings between his head and chest voice as easily as Clay runs his hand through his hair. Cotton, can you check this song (Bui-doi) and let me know if that's what you were talking about?

Wow!

I would never have heard this and I loved it. It sounds like something from Musical Theater - I want to see the show! HAHA

Yes, I think he does travel from chest through to head voice without an obvious break.

Although part of that may actually be the melody itself not hitting the difficult "break". I don't know if that makes sense. Maybe Gibby can help.

But - vocalist have a note - or three - which is their break. And if a melody line doesn't hit that "break", the singer may not have trouble with the transition.

???

Clear as mud?

But thank you for linking that. It was lovely and I plan to listen again!

I dunno - me personally, I like a lot of old school trained voices and also good perfection - roughness or imperfection in and of themselves don't thrill me or add authenticity to me (which is also why I hate that "antiquing" stuff - you know, battering a perfectly good new piece to make it look like something you should throw away - I like shiny and new looking! I like old that looks like you took freaking care of it. And "homemade" looking stuff - I can't get past the fact if you were really skilled, it would look perfect. But then again, I don't mind machine made either.).

If the performance called for a different texture on purpose, that's different - but just sounding bad due to poor technique or lack of talent (not Clay, people!) just doesn't whip my panties off. It's like the only song I like by Bob Dylan sung by Bob Dylan is the one where he has the flash cards. I think he's singing. Otherwise, I especially like his stuff when other people are singing it. Like the Animals. I know, kf, I know - I'm a TOTAL heathen.

Me, I fuckin' love the pretty. And Clay brings the pretty consistantly.

I just loved this post.

I don't think Clay always sings perfectly. I don't expect him to.

That doesn't stop me from cringing when his voice cracks.

One thing I don't think he ever does - is lose pitch. But I admire that he sings live. When you hear Clay in concert, you know you're hearing Clay in the here and now!

I love that.

And I love his interpretive skills. He is an amazing actor in song, if you will.

And he can vary his treatment so much from one song to the next.

I mentioned favorite notes this morning. So - I listened to MOAM this morning on the way to work. I forget how much I love this album. I do. I loved it the first time I heard it and revisiting it this morning, I find I love it still.

Fav. Note - one of them - SONG - in NMSS. It's at the end. The 4th from the last time he sings the word "song" - with a bell like clarity and a bit of vibrato. Very nice.

Although I love some of his "HOLDS", the long-assed notes that I can eat an apple in the time he holds the, I also love the way he can power a note, then feather off of it with a whisper or a breathy cry. Lord he can make love with his voice.

I've been surfing around a bit and I'm reading some angst about whether or not Clay is OK. There seems to be a prevailing feeling that if he'd just blog, or make a statement, or something, it'd make things better, ease some minds. Help people stop worrying about him, stop perhaps believing some of the seedier versions of the story floating around out there. Some people even seem to think he's misrepresented himself in some way over the years. He is the same man he's always been. Give him time to deal with this in his own way, the way that is best for him, for Jaymes, and for the baby (regardless of paternity). I just hope the fandom at large can have a little faith in him.

luckiest, this is where I'm having trouble, too.

I'm thinking - "What?! You think he's betrayed you somehow? "

I just shake my head.

You know what I think Clay's trouble is?

I think he's too damned progressive.

He has a broader view of the world. How is that possible for a lowly North Carolina guy? An ordinary guy who was going to college and decided to enter reality show/talent contest?

But he is. Progressive. Religious, yet open to a variety of religious views.

Very aware of current events. Opinionated, yet accepting of a variety of opinions from others. Doesn't seem to be judgmental, yet has high expectations of people. Patient with people with learning differences. Impatient with laziness and unprofessionalism and intolerance. Injustice.

He's intelligent. He's a character. He has a wild sense of humor that sometimes doesn't translate in print.

And - then - he sings "off the chain"!

People are just used to celebrities who are less substance. More shallow.

Especially as young as he is.

It throws people.

And some people just don't see the intelligence and the snark. Some people don't recognize sincerity.

So - I guess they are right. He's odd.

And some people are just greedy bastards who want to sell magazines and papers and they aren't even aware enough of the world to see consequences. Others just don't give a damn.

I think I like odd. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I still wanna hit somebody.

Still waiting for suggestions.

:cryingwlaughter:

ETA:

Geez!

That turned out to be War and Peace! :lmaosmiley-1:

He actually referred to himself as a "progressive mama's boy" in LTS...it was pretty clear to me from reading the book that he was pretty liberal in his thinking...I think some missed that or maybe didn't want to see it.

Weren't we going to have a re-read of the book or did we have it and I missed it?, LOL!

Kim

Annabear..Bwah..thanks for bringing that over.

I loved KF's my people post..love how 00lsee expanded it to include Clay and Liney I agree with a lot of what you said as well. Spam was such a high!

Bewilderment? I can understand that...and that it might take time to process the IF IF UH (TM somebody brilliant). I only care about the feelings of my people... all of you here no matter where you are on the spectrum and Clay. While on the good days I love Clay Nation as a whole... we haven't shown that we can handle "messy" with grace so I'm staying put.

GO LAKERS!

ETA Oh lord I just jinxed my team by calling them larkers. Sigh.

annabear :cryingwlaughter:

...sorry guys, that's all I got at the moment...

I decided to edit and explain, because that ^^^ just sounded lame...even to me. I just mean I am too tired at the moment to give anything deep thought, and so much lately needs deep thought and feeling to be commented on. It just felt nice to laugh quietly for a moment and not think...

OMG, Cotton...this was downright HAWT! :hubbahubba: ou know what I think Clay's trouble is?

He has a broader view of the world. How is that possible for a lowly North Carolina guy? An ordinary guy who was going to college and decided to enter reality show/talent contest?

Very aware of current events. Opinionated, yet accepting of a variety of opinions from others. Doesn't seem to be judgmental, yet has high expectations of people. Patient with people with learning differences. Impatient with laziness and unprofessionalism and intolerance. Injustice.

He's intelligent. He's a character. He has a wild sense of humor that sometimes doesn't translate in print.

It throws people.

And some people just don't see the intelligence and the snark. Some people don't recognize sincerity.

And some people are just greedy bastards who want to sell magazines and papers and they aren't even aware enough of the world to see consequences. Others just don't give a damn.

I think I like odd.

Oh, man....I'm gonna take this whole thing to bed with me tonight! :yess:

laughn hugs to you... get well....

00Isee - thanks - great post!

wanda - love your short, to the point (and often frickin' hilarious) posts!

Isn't that my job here? :unsure:

Why, yes, I do believe it is... and you can never stop!!! It wouldn't be the same without you!

Lots of good posts today, took forever to catch up (of course, it doesn't help when you have to run to the grocery store in the middle....).

Had lunch with a Clay friend today... good times... talked about our favorite concerts from each tour, reminised about Spamalot (who's in it, who's leaving/replacing, stage doors (hers)/no stage doors (mine)), that we'll miss having a tour this summer but that we need to get the local gang together regularly to keep the summer from dragging along without traveling to see Clay and of course, the "news"... neither one of us is really that worked up over it, my friend is still in the "doesn't really believe it camp" and I'm pretty much in the "don't give a crap camp".... it was a great time... no angst, just fun!

I just shake my head.

It throws people.

WOW thank for articulating exactly how I see Clay. This is pretty much my view of Clay....simply UNIQUE yet very human and REAL.

Cotton, I wish other boards had the benefit of that description.

Feel free to take it elsewhere, if you like.

(Except LBFCA. I left there for reason. I'll just leave it at that.)

I'll post it at CV as that's my other board.

And thank you all for your response.

I was thinking about this on my drive home from work.

And, thanks for a place to laugh and cut up.

I have a hard time with the doom and gloom. It's happened every time he has pulled one of his surprises. Think vignettes. :cryingwlaughter:

But I must admit, this surprise is a doozy! Even for him! :)

I think I caught up.

annabear! Loved the grocery pic. I'll have to check out the store when I go to work Saturday! (I work at Dream Dinners which Piggly Wiggly bought the grocery store franchise for so, essentially, I work at Piggly Wiggly. I'm sure some of you are going WTF is Piggly Wiggly! hee

Started in Charleston, SC, so if you're not in the South, it's a grocery chain.)

Gibby and Cotton, thanks for the explanations about Clay's voice. I have to admit that I've been playing hooky lately and listening to this guy (who's Australian BTW, Hee!) who I think, after reading Cotton's post, swings between his head and chest voice as easily as Clay runs his hand through his hair. Cotton, can you check this song (Bui-doi) and let me know if that's what you were talking about?

Wow!

I would never have heard this and I loved it. It sounds like something from Musical Theater - I want to see the show! HAHA

Yes, I think he does travel from chest through to head voice without an obvious break.

Although part of that may actually be the melody itself not hitting the difficult "break". I don't know if that makes sense. Maybe Gibby can help.

But - vocalist have a note - or three - which is their break. And if a melody line doesn't hit that "break", the singer may not have trouble with the transition.

???

Clear as mud?

But thank you for linking that. It was lovely and I plan to listen again!

I dunno - me personally, I like a lot of old school trained voices and also good perfection - roughness or imperfection in and of themselves don't thrill me or add authenticity to me (which is also why I hate that "antiquing" stuff - you know, battering a perfectly good new piece to make it look like something you should throw away - I like shiny and new looking! I like old that looks like you took freaking care of it. And "homemade" looking stuff - I can't get past the fact if you were really skilled, it would look perfect. But then again, I don't mind machine made either.).

If the performance called for a different texture on purpose, that's different - but just sounding bad due to poor technique or lack of talent (not Clay, people!) just doesn't whip my panties off. It's like the only song I like by Bob Dylan sung by Bob Dylan is the one where he has the flash cards. I think he's singing. Otherwise, I especially like his stuff when other people are singing it. Like the Animals. I know, kf, I know - I'm a TOTAL heathen.

Me, I fuckin' love the pretty. And Clay brings the pretty consistantly.

I just loved this post.

I don't think Clay always sings perfectly. I don't expect him to.

That doesn't stop me from cringing when his voice cracks.

One thing I don't think he ever does - is lose pitch. But I admire that he sings live. When you hear Clay in concert, you know you're hearing Clay in the here and now!

I love that.

And I love his interpretive skills. He is an amazing actor in song, if you will.

And he can vary his treatment so much from one song to the next.

I mentioned favorite notes this morning. So - I listened to MOAM this morning on the way to work. I forget how much I love this album. I do. I loved it the first time I heard it and revisiting it this morning, I find I love it still.

Fav. Note - one of them - SONG - in NMSS. It's at the end. The 4th from the last time he sings the word "song" - with a bell like clarity and a bit of vibrato. Very nice.

Although I love some of his "HOLDS", the long-assed notes that I can eat an apple in the time he holds the, I also love the way he can power a note, then feather off of it with a whisper or a breathy cry. Lord he can make love with his voice.

I've been surfing around a bit and I'm reading some angst about whether or not Clay is OK. There seems to be a prevailing feeling that if he'd just blog, or make a statement, or something, it'd make things better, ease some minds. Help people stop worrying about him, stop perhaps believing some of the seedier versions of the story floating around out there. Some people even seem to think he's misrepresented himself in some way over the years. He is the same man he's always been. Give him time to deal with this in his own way, the way that is best for him, for Jaymes, and for the baby (regardless of paternity). I just hope the fandom at large can have a little faith in him.

luckiest, this is where I'm having trouble, too.

I'm thinking - "What?! You think he's betrayed you somehow? "

I just shake my head.

It throws people.

ETA:

Geez!

That turned out to be War and Peace! :lmaosmiley-1:

I loved your post. And you said the stuff about his voice much better than I could. And what you said about Clay, the man, was just perfect.

Are you already taken? I get so confused on who is with who on this board. And then you start talking about sharing and stuff. I'm rather monogomous myself.

Am I taken?

Nope.

Too short.

Too old.

Well, I guess I'm taken with Clay Aiken just a little bit.

That's about it.

Oh, there is my DH.

But no online message board GF hookups!

Maybe I'm odd, too! :)

Cotton, Thank you so much for your beautiful post!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

And your explanation about singing and voices. That was from Miss Saigon, btw.

:F_05BL17blowkiss: Awww, I lurve you but I just found Iseemee.... Let me introduce you to Solo (or have you met before)?

And your explanation about singing and voices. That was from Miss Saigon, btw.

:F_05BL17blowkiss: Awww, I lurve you but I just found Iseemee. But... let me introduce you to Solo (or have you met before)?

Oh!

Well, then that explains the nagging sense of familiarity!

I saw Miss Saigon years ago in Charlotte! Now the song clicks into place in the context of the show.

And - I am wa-a-a-y older than you, so I also lived through the Viet Nam era. I was in college when a friend of mine was killed in a helicopter accident ( training mission in Savanna - he was training pilots getting ready to go to VN) after surviving his first crash in VN.

:)

I think I've met you and Solo, briefly.

Hope to do so again whenever Mr. Aiken mounts a tour again.

heh

Clay and mounts in the same sentence. Where's muski?!

G'night, y'all!

Tired - AC not working well at the store today so I'm beat!

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

ETA:

Pigs may be flying . . .

A poster at the OFC just reported this:

The new issue of Rolling Stone has Clay at number 18 in their Top 40 Albums.

Oh, I'm so sorry Iseeme!!! *ashamed*

This'll give me an opportunity to say your name 500 times... Iseeme, Iseeme, Iseeme, *hopelessly sighs* Iseeme, Iseeme, .... *squee!*

:loveletter:

and goodnight, Cotton! :claydreaming_ClayIzzaQt:

ETA: Iseeme, both! I'll either "rescue you or be the death of you."

I've been reading over at the CH, which I usually like, but its a good thing I'm not a member, because there are a few there that are making me very angry so I thought I'd come back here. Anyway, there has been references to Santa Monica and apparently a Fran that is on the shit list. Can anyone here fill me in? I have no clue. I do remember a Fran that had to do with the BAF but hadn't heard anything else. And yes, I'm nosy, why do you ask?

Not sure what Santa Monica is but Fran Skinner Lewis (sp?) used to be the director of the Bubel-Aiken Foundation. There were charges of improprieties by a fan group - a relentless fan group. Eventually she resigned but that's all I know about it.

Doesn't Jaymes live in Santa Monica?

Scarlett.....I'm not scared! :imgtongue:

I have no idea what you meant with that comment. I was merely saying I believed what he said. Of course people change with time and maybe he did learn to love avocados but it was just a silly example.....sheesh! My point was I've always believed him when he said he wanted a family and children. HIS idea of what that meant isn't necessarily what MY idea is of what that meant.......so I don't feel he was misrepresenting himself. I might have been projecting.

Heee....I don't think it happens here, but on other boards there really are people who believe that since Clay joked about not liking avocados:

He will never eat them ever

He would never have a relationship with an avocado lover

He would never eat in a restaurant that serves avocados

He would never buy a house with an avocado tree in the yard

The nutrient content of avocados is listed and Clay is reprimanded for not eating them

And is sent books and lists about what he should eat

Faye will be blamed for Clay not liking avocados

Faye just prolly prepared avocados incorrectly when Clay was a poor pitiful child, because those southerners don't know how to fix or appreciate good food

Clay is only saying he doesn't like avocados because he wants the California Avocado Association to pay big bucks for him to recant and say he loves them now

Saying he hates avocados is a sekrit signal to fake baby mamas

Saying he hates avocados means some tortuous intrusive clue about Santa M.....sorry, just typing that makes me pukle

Saying he hates avocados means he is leaving RCA

There will be a thread at OFC denouncing his disdain for avocados

There will be a thread at OFC praising him for hating avocados and showing support for Cesar Chavez

I honestly could continue for another 20 minutes, but SOME people have deliberately and willfully chosen to regard my humorous sense of irony as, um, sarcasm......

If he is seen eating avocado:

He is a liar

He prolly lied about OTHER STUFF TOO

He has betrayed his fans, who have given up avocados in a show of support

Some of us just get an uncontrollable tic when we hear how Clay hates something :-O

(edited because my sense of irony does not reside in a bone in my arm)

I don't post here often, mainly because I usually don't have the time to keep up, but I just had to pop in and say this is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time! I had to read it to my DH - a Clay fan as well. :cryingwlaughter:

Hey wait! I'm not sloppy seconds to Solo, am I???? Hmmm....must ponder this new development....... :whistling-1: Why is Scarlett giving her away? I think we need a press release on this - and soon! Scarlett, I'll have my people contact your people and we'll come up with something.... :lipstick:

Everybody's going to bed and I'm just catching up.

Awwww, 00lsee, that was the most beautiful post. :F_05BL17blowkiss: Thank you for sharing it here. Everything you said was so ... well Dylan said it:

Then she opened up a book of poems

And handed it to me

Written by an Italian poet

From the thirteenth century.

And every one of them words rang true

And glowed like burnin' coal

Pourin' off of every page

Like it was written in my soul from me to you,

Tangled up in blue.

I wouldn't know what's being said anywhere but here, but you're all giving me a pretty good idea of the wear and tear and gnashing of teeth going on out there. Good Lord! People who can't handle the truth when they don't even know what it is are wasting valuable angst that they could maybe use some other time when they know what the truth is they can't handle. Such a waste.

Regarding Jaymes, how in God's green can people make "evil" assumptions about her. All I know about Jaymes Foster is that Clay keeps her close, she has special permission to call him Clayton, and for the longest Quiana has had a picture of Jaymes in her MySpace slide show captioned: When I grow up I want to be just like Jaymes Foster. How in the world can people be so shallow, obnoxious and rude as to attack her? For all I know, Clay could have fallen for this woman when he was on American Idol, and the story about how he selected her as Executive Producer may not be all there is to the story. He possibly could have directed his manager to talk to her about the EP job in the first place. He said he holds his cards close. Maybe he's been eaten up with love for her for years but she was first married, and then considered herself "too old for him." Maybe a deepening relationship has developed and Clay has been the one driving it. Maybe she's the one who doesn't want to get married because she's just been married for 20+ years. Maybe this will all work out and Clay won't be a lover all alone. Maybe they already live in a house with a white picket fence. Maybe maybe maybe. It's as good as anything anybody else has, as far I know.

Hey djs111 re Bob Dylan music - Yes, I agree about Joan Baez's Diamonds and Rust. A great, great song sung with conviction. Wasn't it an answer to Dylan's Simple Twist of Fate from Blood on the Tracks? Speaking of, I have a huge soft spot for If You See Her Say Hello.

Scarlett said:

You and kf can share Dylan, I'll take the Wallflowers.

Oh you don't get away with that! When I said I love Dylan, I meant Jakob too! My favorite Wallflowers song for the last ten years has been 6th Avenue Heartache and some days I simply MUST hear it! Wow, Scarlett, you love the Wallflowers, and you're so adorably cute ... and the bond we have over this amazing other person of mine, the one who sings and dances at the same time, that just seals the deal. Yes you are MY PERSON!!! :F_05BL17blowkiss: