#36: It ain't my life, just my passion!

ldyjocelyn

New Thread Title Poll  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like our next thread title to be?

• Whatta man, whatta man, whatta mighty good man...
    • And the biggest protection of all will be love
    • Tell me another person that's ever gone through the Idol mill with such gifts.
    • Clay is the master lemonade maker
    • If you don't get Clay, no explanation is possible, and if you do, no explanation is necessary.
    • And--just on general principles--I love Clay.
    • muchos gracias to a globe-trotting, lazy-ass, dog-loving, soft-rocking dude!
    • Very nice to look at...this very well put together firecracker.
    • the class clown got to be the star
    • Whenever he's ready, I'm ready for whatever he's ready for.
    • FCA - An anarco-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync nomadic omnivores
    • when the sweetsingerman finds a style he likes he buys a dozen!!!!

Bombs should not be tossed in the the PM messenger.

:cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter: Oh Lordy, this made me think of Brother Maynard!

Oh Lord, bless this thou holy PM that with it thou mayest blow thine enemies to tiny bits in thy mercy. Then the Lord spake saying first shalt thou type up the holy PM then shall thou count to three. Three being the number which thou shalt count, then thou shalt click 'send', lobbying the holy PM towards thy foe who have been naughty in my sight shall snuff it.

:hysterical::hysterical:

Just in from garden; picked my first lettuce of the season...it is all nicely washed and tucked away in the fridge for dinner this evening. The tomatoes probably won't be ready to pick for another month...always look forward to fresh tomatoes from garden.

Sorry Couchie; I don't think this post is very witty or thread title worthy...but

:013085001176249046:

Oh and Wanda; just word to your whole post.

Kim

Tone. Freedom of speech. It all depends on where you're coming from in your life. For example, having grown up in an extremely sarcastic environment, I would never agree with the comment that "tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic." IMO, wit involves owning good intellectual capacity and being amusingly or ingeniously clever in conception or execution. Sarcasm is a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut, give pain or be derogatory in nature. Not the same thing in my mind at all. When someone on the board posts sarcastically, I bristle. When someone is witty is laugh my ass off. But again, it all depends on where you're coming from and on a message board we're all coming from a different place. Which is a good thing, IMO, and part of what makes it fun. Also, we as readers often time mistake the inention of someone's post. What one person meant to be witty, another might mistake as being sarcastic. I know for a fact that has happened to me.

AAAAAAND....

...to bring this all back to Clay: the same thing happens when fans talk about Clay's sense of humor, IMO. There has been times when I've thought Clay has been incredibly witty -- way too many times to even mention, frankly. There have also been times when I've noticed a "bite" to Clay's humor as well, showing to me that he's got a sarcastic side too. Since we all come to differences between wit and sarcasm, it's not surprising at all when some fans feel totally hurt when Clay has said something that may hit too close to home to a particular person, or even to the fandom in general. IMO, this is just something to remember...

I'm all proud of myself and stuff today because I just learned how to replace a doorknob. Stop laughing at me! I've never had to do this kind of stuff before....I thought it required a penis and a special screwdriver and knowing the right cuss words. I think I deserve a cookie.

Very witty!

Thanks Iseeme for bringing a few over from the last go around. Heh. I was thinking that with the small number of thread title possibilities this time, it would be an easy poll. But nooooooooooooooo....couchie has to speak up and say "we need more suggestions."

:imgtongue:

Oh Lord, bless this thou holy PM that with it thou mayest blow thine enemies to tiny bits in thy mercy. Then the Lord spake saying first shalt thou type up the holy PM then shall thou count to three. Three being the number which thou shalt count, then thou shalt click 'send', lobbying the holy PM towards thy foe who have been naughty in my sight shall snuff it.

Bookwhore is on a witty roll today!

cha cha, sorry the car thing didn't work out on time....

4thJulyKittyStamp.gif

C e l e b r a t e !

Long-ass post. Scroll at will! :cryingwlaughter:

Thanks cotton and laughn for the Capital Fourth link. I'm not a great lover of "patriotic" songs so I didn't click on this the first one or two times I saw the link. I finally gave in and clicked, and I'm glad I did. Several times, (during each song) I got goosebumps from that voice. And at the end, watching the faces of all of those observers singing along, it just made me cry. I wonder what Clay was feeling looking out at that sea of people? I know he has said that he doesn't get nervous performing, but he did mention in an interview that this was one of the places where he may have had an anxiety attack backstage. It was weird to watch this again, knowing that, and knowing everything that has happened to him since that time. I was just hit with this feeling of sadness for the loss of innocence. It seems like such a long time ago, such a different world at that time. I miss those days!

I went 'to bed" early last night- the last couple of weeks have been very emotionally tiring for many reasons- and since my Yankees were getting spanked, and there was nothing good on tv, I re-read LTS. There are so many things in there that just go towards a better understanding of the man. I'm with someone (I forget who, sorry! Maybe play?) who mentioned that they tend to take his words literally, unless they know he is exaggerating "for effect". I do too, and it has always puzzled me when people take his written, or spoken words, and twist them around, and say "This is what he was trying to say." Even though he, like everyone else, may not always commuicate his thoughts as clearly as he would like at all times, I really do think that for the most part, he says what he means, and means what he says. No need for reading between the lines. I guess that is why I place my "trust" in him, as someone else (Iseeme?) asked about.

About the boards... We got our computer for Christmas in 2002. I didn't want one. I am extremely low tech- may be the only person in the world without a cell phone. Didn't own a CD player for the l.o.n.g.e.s.t time. (When I got a car that had a CD player, the first CD I bought was Marc Anthony- cause I loved the song "I Need To Know". It was the only CD I had for months- so it was the only thing I listened to. When I finally got another CD, my son, who was around 6 or 7 at the time, was confused to hear different music, and asked me "Whose car are we in? :cryingwlaughter: ) But, I digress. Anyway, I didn't want the computer, but I found that it was useful for looking up info on my "hobbies" at the time- the Yankees and Derek Jeter. It was then that I first became acquainted with message boards through DJ. The thing that confused me was that I would read along on these boards, dedicated to DJ, and I was surprised by how many of the regular posters- self-proclaimed "fans"- didn't seem to really like him very much. They would make what I considered to be demeaning comments about him all the time. Made no sense to me. I never signed

up to participate.

When I found the Clay boards, starting with my 1st- LBFCA- I was thrilled that there seemed to be a much different vibe- people really liked him, and were sharing wonderful stories about him- how his music made them feel, how much they enjoyed him on AI, the friends they had made through their common interest, etc. I loved it! I'd already been hooked by Clay, and now I was hooked by the message boards, where we could talk about him and share our fandom with others! But slowly, the elation started to wear off. I suppose it was bound to happen- like the glow of the honeymoon wearing off once you get to the grind of everyday living. (With a nod to the "storybook wedding" tales!) Suddenly, people were starting to "pick" at him- a line in an interview that rubbed them the wrong way, a career choice that they didn't agree with, his friends and family being subject to criticisms that I didn't understand, an "encounter" with the man that didn't live up to someone's pre-conceived notion of how they wanted it to be......... and on, and on, and on. I went from board to board when the "fit" just didn't seem right to me, looking for a place to call home. Some boards I left willingly, some I left sadly. I confess to being one of those "Susie Sunshine" types where Clay is concerned- when I read post after post of gloom and doom, or "he should/shouldn't(s), or blatant criticism, it frosts my cookies! And, I'm happy, FINALLY, to have found a place where, if someone says something that I not only don't agree with, but that actually makes me see red, then I can actually respond.(Probably not the most mature thing to do, I admit.) I try not to be too judgemental when I respond- I know I don't always succeed- but I appreciate that at least this is a place that allows me to have my say, without greenlining or fish-schlapping.

So, I guess this is my way to say :F_05BL17blowkiss: to all the mods here- thank you for making this a place for everyone to have an opportunity to express themselves in the best way they can. :wordpooper:

Bookwhore :laugh2: for penises, doorknobs and hand grenades!

Happy Birthday muski!

Happy 4th!

TWoP is one of the places I post...not just Clay but varying topics over the years...and I've gotten warnings and notes from admins for 2 damn resons..talkinng about the board on the board and GRAMMAR. Bwah. I'm sorry but this stuff is supposed to be fun...half the time my fingers are way ahead of my brain. My most common problem is with homonyms. It's not that I don't know what bear and bare are but when you can type 80 words a minute sometimes the little details get past you. hee. Oh and I like to type stream of consciousness style..try doing that on twop... And I guess it works for them because in most of the areas I read and participate in there are some witty funny intelligent posters..just wish they weren't so darn anal about it. What's so wrong with the dot dot dot. :hysterical:

You mean, those dot dot dots are wrong? Crap, cuz that's how I always type up posts... it's kind of like I'm thinking out loud (I'm doing that stream of consciousness thing too)... it's good that I don't post (or read) at TWoP as I'd get slammed all the time for grammar I'm sure... I've always been a spelling freak and typos can drive me bananas, but I've learned to blow it off on the boards as people are typing quickly, some just aren't good typists, others are typing with emotion, a key might stick, some are just not great spellers like I'm not great with grammar, etc... so I realized being a spelling freak is my problem and so I move on... hopefully any grammatical errors I make can be taken in the same way and be forgiven/ignored...

Tone. Freedom of speech. It all depends on where you're coming from in your life. For example, having grown up in an extremely sarcastic environment, I would never agree with the comment that "tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic." IMO, wit involves owning good intellectual capacity and being amusingly or ingeniously clever in conception or execution. Sarcasm is a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut, give pain or be derogatory in nature. Not the same thing in my mind at all. When someone on the board posts sarcastically, I bristle. When someone is witty is laugh my ass off. But again, it all depends on where you're coming from and on a message board we're all coming from a different place. Which is a good thing, IMO, and part of what makes it fun. Also, we as readers often time mistake the inention of someone's post. What one person meant to be witty, another might mistake as being sarcastic. I know for a fact that has happened to me.

You know, this really makes me stop to think... and that's a good thing.. :) I know that I tend to use sarcasm when I talk and generally it really is supposed to be humorous... but it makes me wonder now how it's really being received. Do others in my RL feel like BW would? Now sometimes I do mean to be sarcastic and probably a bit biting, but I really don't mean that all the time. Certainly food for thought for me...

On the topic du jour (or maybe it was yesterday's topic), I don't post a lot because I do try to think how my post will be taken. Because I do tend to throw sarcasm into my speaking, I'm trying to be somewhat careful how I post. I realize no one here knows me and it's very easy to develop opinions about people based on their posts... I have definite opinions, right or wrong, about some posters at other boards just based on their posts and how they come across... not too many are people I wouldn't be interested in meeting, but there are a couple for sure that I want to stay away from.

I agree that it's better to be able to talk things out on the board as often times there are many others who are wondering/questioning the same things, just not posting it... I had no clue about FBM and the lot until the shit hit the fan... but I did see inking here or there that made me wonder WTF is going on? So talk about being surprised when it all came out and things started clicking. And there, to me, was no reason this should have been hidden... oh yeah, I forgot, the in-the-know crowd versus the not-in-the-know-crowd... :huh: are we still in high school? Sure feels that way sometimes... Or maybe it's about power and control? Dunno, just find it to be stupid.

Eh, enough, it's a beautiful day here, I need to go shower and take a walk... Starbucks up the street is calling my name... and I neeeeeeed to find out if they are one of the 600 in peril... that could bum me out... although it would be better for my bottom line...

Oh, and ALAWH, FLOVE. Actually, I haven't participated much in the song of the day because I really, really love this cd and I feel like I would just be repeating myself over and over... I guess I don't analyze what I'm listening too, I just roll with it. I love reading everyone else's opinions, especially the ones that get into the nits and nats (is that even a word?) of the music and lyrics because I find them interesting and informative... I'm just not wired that way I guess... but I'm learning!

Happy day everyone!

we need more thread title suggestions..say something witty!!

how about the runner-up from last time?

the one about the something-something society of omnivores? :cryingwlaughter:

yes - we're leaving - soon's I get my hair dried and the clothes out of the laundry!! :D

bringing this over from the cith thread from lucky...I'm sure view new posts key might be broken for some hee. LUcky, I swear, I will start on mine today... I'm thinking PUddins Joy won't be doing hers if anyone wants to take over wayc.. (what the hell is that one hee).

Just a reminder......here is the list of recommendations we are still waiting on. No time like the present! :)

ococe - atinal

mdyk - ansa

mcwl - cha cha trusty

cw - liney23

wwiak - ialreadyam

wtow - jmh123

wayc - PuddinsJoy

dsiafcd - couchie

aiw - kandre

Funny, I think I see 4 mods' names there.....can they spork each other? :cryingwlaughter:

Oooh, cha cha - finally something on a Clay board that I can show my hubby and know he'd be interested in - your Morgan. Very. very cool car. We're into cars too: He makes 'em, I drive or ride in them. We'll be headed down to the US soon for car show in Montana.

Cool info on the doorknob BW, here I've been searching around for the appropriate penis thinking that's the reason the one I tried to replace into our garage always sticks. Hmmm, must be something else then?

And definitely not trying to one-up the deer stories because I can't think of anything better than deer in the backyard but, this morning, I got a picture of a moose that was hanging out in ours. Boy, those are some ugly animals. Quite strange that all that lumpy weight can effortlessly clear a 6 foot fence.

I have absolutely no content in this post (admitting it shamefacedly) but can someone tell me what eHP stands for? I know I probably did know this at some point but it just isn't computing right now.

eHP stands for the evilHoustonPosse. Someone else will have to inform the newbies who all is in the eHP - it seems to be growing, and I don't want to leave anybody out! :lmaosmiley-1:

Generally, it's a group of wild and passionate Clayfans from the Houston/Texas area who love to speed, party, drink all manner of alcohol and follow Clay around the country. They do have a designated driver, IIRC. They disagree on how early they need to be at the airport for flights to Clay events, and their natural habitat is in the first several rows at Clay concerts. They are great fun, either in person or on the board.

And probably some of them are the opinionated, verbose, posthos that Ansa talked about earlier. :lol: In fact, I won't be a bit surprised if they take exception to my post. But they are funny, lovable and fun to have around!

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

ETA - I remember dreaming about owning a Morgan oh, so may years ago - live your dreams !!!

Play - tell me more! What happened that you never got one. They are so much fun (and WORK!) but Morgan Owners are a definite fun bunch of people!!

mrchach had this one before I met him, it was 10-12 years old already when he got it. (It's a '61) - We have definitely had a great time with it.

We have to leave now! Everybody have a great holiday weekend! I'll be checking in from the road if I can! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

eta: thanks to all for the moral support. I'll get some pix of whole Morgans and show you more!! :D

eta again: A LOOK BACK - JULY 4 AT THE PIZZA HUT PARK

Bwaahahaha - :cryingwlaughter:

gothedistance OMG - I laughed out loud when I read this. Then I read it again. Did you by any chance leave a couple of salient words out??

been searching around for the appropriate penis thinking that's the reason the one I tried to replace into our garage always sticks

I hatesss it when penises (penii?) stick in the garage!

And now for a broad-shouldered pretty picture - because I have no Clay content at all today.

brownclay.jpg

TWoP is one of the places I post...not just Clay but varying topics over the years...and I've gotten warnings and notes from admins for 2 damn resons..talkinng about the board on the board and GRAMMAR. Bwah. I'm sorry but this stuff is supposed to be fun...half the time my fingers are way ahead of my brain. My most common problem is with homonyms. It's not that I don't know what bear and bare are but when you can type 80 words a minute sometimes the little details get past you. hee. Oh and I like to type stream of consciousness style..try doing that on twop... And I guess it works for them because in most of the areas I read and participate in there are some witty funny intelligent posters..just wish they weren't so darn anal about it. What's so wrong with the dot dot dot. :hysterical:

You mean, those dot dot dots are wrong? Crap, cuz that's how I always type up posts... it's kind of like I'm thinking out loud (I'm doing that stream of consciousness thing too)... it's good that I don't post (or read) at TWoP as I'd get slammed all the time for grammar I'm sure... I've always been a spelling freak and typos can drive me bananas, but I've learned to blow it off on the boards as people are typing quickly, some just aren't good typists, others are typing with emotion, a key might stick, some are just not great spellers like I'm not great with grammar, etc... so I realized being a spelling freak is my problem and so I move on... hopefully any grammatical errors I make can be taken in the same way and be forgiven/ignored...

And hey, don't forget that in the Broadway play "Mama Mia", when reading her mother's diary, the daughter discovers that dot dot dot meant...er...hanky panky. So, me likes to keep a little dot dot dot around here. :)

Long-ass post. Scroll at will! :cryingwlaughter:

Bookwhore :laugh2: for penises, doorknobs and hand grenades!

didn't skip a thing.. great post.

and damn I'd like that to be a thread title but could never ever lurk at work hee....

Thanks everyone for the convo. We know it's not perfect and maybe to some of you how we see the board or how we want the board to be is not your reality but we are trying.

I agree that it's better to be able to talk things out on the board as often times there are many others who are wondering/questioning the same things, just not posting it... I had no clue about FBM and the lot until the shit hit the fan... but I did see inking here or there that made me wonder WTF is going on? So talk about being surprised when it all came out and things started clicking. And there, to me, was no reason this should have been hidden... oh yeah, I forgot, the in-the-know crowd versus the not-in-the-know-crowd... :huh: are we still in high school? Sure feels that way sometimes... Or maybe it's about power and control? Dunno, just find it to be stupid.

Loved your post spikesmom. In this case Clay wasn't the only victim... lot of the fandom was being taken for a ride so the more light that could have been shined on it the better.

the one about the something-something society of omnivores? :cryingwlaughter:

okey dokey

And probably some of them are the opinionated, verbose, posthos that Ansa talked about earlier.

and some of them, one in particular has like 5 posts and is always a month behind :cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter: Maybe she won't see this before she gets to San Francisco.

oK I think I'll go earn a few extra dollars... ..

ETA to wave to 00lsee..welcome back!!

have fun cha cha

Bwaahahaha - :cryingwlaughter:

gothedistance OMG - I laughed out loud when I read this. Then I read it again. Did you by any chance leave a couple of salient words out??

Weeelllll, I'd meant the funny but not quite the way I'd written it. :whistling-1: Then it made me giggle so I left it. After all, I never was all that good with tools.

Thanks Gibby, for the definition and associated characteristics. I probably knew that but now I'll be able to recognize them if I ever catch them in my binocs.

Alright, Clay's shirt on the ET thingie has been nagging at me for some reason.

th_psacap1.jpg

I finally had time to hit up my photobucket for historical comparisons. I think the dude must have the same plaid western-style shirt in multiple colors.

ClayAngie.jpg

Chautaquacandid.jpg

CAiken051107_3.jpg

CedarPoint6.jpg

And, yes, I am semi-embarrassed I spent part of my holiday afternoon on this question... :whistling-1:

Hah - Bottlecap - thanks. I was thinking it was the same shirt as the "Waldo-adjusting" picture shirt.....but the UNICEF shirt is brighter.

They're either a K-Mart special or some designer dude and they sell for 3 figures! :cryingwlaughter: I guess when the sweetsingerman finds a style he likes he buys a dozen!!!!

And hey, don't forget that in the Broadway play "Mama Mia", when reading her mother's diary, the daughter discovers that dot dot dot meant...er...hanky panky. So, me likes to keep a little dot dot dot around here. :)

Hahaha! Really? Haven't seen the show yet (although I am eyeing up the movie due in two weeks....) Hmmm... I guess another reason to like the dot dot dots! :cryingwlaughter:

Alright, Clay's shirt on the ET thingie has been nagging at me for some reason.

And, yes, I am semi-embarrassed I spent part of my holiday afternoon on this question... :whistling-1:

Oh hahaha! I thought the shirt looked familiar and figured he must own another one, but I had no idea he bought every color! And don't be embarrassed! You saved the rest of us from that search!! :cryingwlaughter:

To all of you south of the 49 parallel...Happy July 4th

Ansamcw Thanks for your post on posting tone and for everyone who has contributed to the discussion. I find myself quite often deleting posts which I have started because I get concerned that the post will be seen as redundant, especially after logging on late in the day or perhaps my words may be misunderstood.

Posting on a board, e-mailing etc is so unlike face to face discussion where body language plays such a large part of the communication. It's easy to see how misinterpretation can happen. And it's good to revisit this topic again and again.

Wow bottlecap I am impressed at your getting these pictures of Clay's collection of plaid shirts. Do you have a special file dedicated to them or just a phenomenal memory? Thanks for them.

Iseeme...what a tease. "Waldo-adjusting" picture shirt? How about posting it?

I used to buy those western shirts for my Ex, we saw them first at a square dance we attended and I had to hunt down a western store to find them, but stores are close here, I only had to drive 2 towns away or about 6 miles, heh - He liked them because they had snaps instead of buttons. I liked them because I didn't have to see him run around with buttons missing and didn't understand why I had to do the sewing when I was basically supporting of the family working 80 hours a week. On the other hand, he liked to rip his shirt open and not set buttons flying, made him feel manly to do that. sometimes it has nothing to do with the plaid.

No great pictures of Clay to post, but....will post about the song after I listen to it for hours on my night drive.Eep, must get gas! Gotta go.

Doesn't the lumberman remark come from the top 12 show when Clay is trying on shirts and says what he is wearing is fine, and the stylist says - for a lumberman!

Muski!!!

happybirthday.jpg

We just came back from seeing Get Smart. Good movie! Much better than I expected. I just didn't expect Steve Carrell and Ann Hathaway to be good casting and they were v.v. good, IMO!

Just the right combo of comedy and action/drama with a touch of romance thrown in.

And . . . somebody says she deserves a cookie.

I brought enough for everybody!

chocchipcookie_hero.jpgcookies.jpgchocchipcookie_hero.jpg

And definitely not trying to one-up the deer stories because I can't think of anything better than deer in the backyard but, this morning, I got a picture of a moose that was hanging out in ours. Boy, those are some ugly animals. Quite strange that all that lumpy weight can effortlessly clear a 6 foot fence.

I always figured God was trying to design the horse when he made the moose...it is definitely an "oops" animal. No idea what He had in mind when He made the lobster?? They're both good eating though, so maybe that was the intention all along.

Hmmm, nope, never used a penis to install a doorknob (aren't penises usually attached to jar openers?). I have used an electric drill to remove a cork from a bottle though, (in keeping with my earlier wine theme) and impressed the hell outta my host and hostess. Motto..always make sure to take a corkscrew with you if you're giving wine as a gift.

Clay content...I must rememer this if I ever visit Clay. I'm sure he doesn't have a corkscrew...and probably not an electric drill either. However, he does have a penis, which I'm sure has plenty of good uses... I bet he can open jars! :hubbahubba: !

Lotus, I just have a shamefully large collection of Clay pictures that are completely unorganized. I remembered the Cedar Point plaid shirt picture from last summer, and when I scrolled through my picture files, the others just kind popped out at me.

And see, I wasn't really digging the plaid shirt for the UNICEF thing, mainly because it seems to me to be a too-busy pattern to be completely camera friendly. Now having read playbiller's whole "sometimes you just want to rip it open" scenario, I'll admit I'm looking at the shirt with a whole new perspective.... :whistling-1:

ETA: And now, besides doorknobs, I will be giggling to myself at the sight of of a jar of pickles* or whatnot.

*Am I the only one who bangs 'em on the floor? :imgtongue: It supposed to break the seal... On the jar.