#45: He Owns Us...

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title Poll  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• Avoid the crazy, enjoy the good, and chill.
    • How come I didn't notice before that he is so cute? Why didn't someone tell me?
    • Clay was a revelation, like fire and music
    • OMG...is this guy CUTE or WHAT?!?!?!?
    • Clay didn't just come out, he kicked down the door.
    • I think Clay Aiken is pretty special
    • Clay Aiken: High Priest of Hotness
    • Dear God: You do good work.
    • The man is priceless!
    • Clay really is a treasure.
    • Adorable times two!

Had a looong day yesterday but want to drop by to send a yay for couchie's mom feeling somewhat better and hugs to couchie on the spam trip!

and congratulations to Fear and Fearson!

and hugs to annabear and mamabear!

Looking forward to the Shogun marathon and White Elephant exchange tomorrow!!!

I was the last person at a White Elephant exchange last Wednesday and I stole a cute stuffed dwarf (Happy from Disney's SW&T7D). Unfortunately, before the whole thing began I made the suggestion that the first person to go gets to go again at the very end and the dwarf got stolen from me. Boo! So watch out tomorrow, I have a "Unix for Dummies" book that I have no use for, Hmmph! *sulks*

My favorite Hallelujah is from Rufus Wainwright unless Clay sang it in which case it's already my favorite even if I haven't heard it yet. Did anyone ever say why we had to vote on the 3 songs -- "Hallelujah", WAMLAW and "Amazing Grace"?

And also, hugs to those battling an Ice Storm today!!!

ETA: Stay warm, ldj!

ETAA: and gbmifan!

Well, it is snowing really hard right now. My work woke me up at 5am and told me I could stay home but be on call. I think they are crazy if they think they can call me in later on. The weather is going to get worse all day. It normally takes almost an hour to get to work, can you imagine how long it will take me since there is spinouts all over the expressway according to the news. Then I no sooner get back to sleep and around 6am the school system called me on their phone fan system to tell me there is no school. I finally just gave up and got up and had coffee. I am sitting here thinking what I want to do.

Couchie I hope you can work it out, I know I just go to my mom's once a week and do her things, but you have alot more responsibility. Hopefully you can find someone to help you. I know how much my trip ment to me, and I can imagine how you are feeling.

Good Morning Everyone,

Couchie Glad to hear your mom is coming home and I do hope you can make your trip to NYC! :thbighug-1:

Ldyj Glad you didn't lose your power; I think most of the snow went north. Isn't as bad here as I thought it was going to be.

We are getting sleet and ice here; there is a tree branch laying in my driveway in front of DH's car. He took my car last night as he has a mustang which is not good in snow and ice. I am just glad the branch didn't hit his car. Looks like I won't be going anywhere today...I don't mind driving in snow, but I will not drive in ice. We are supposed to get more snow this week-end.

16 Days until The Closing Night of Spamalot!

:cry:

38 Days until Golfing For Inclusion! :yahoo:

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

From the blogs, someone who had seen Spamalot before, but not on Broadway:

Through the Looking Glass: Tea, Spam and Santas

Now, I had only ever seen one other Broadway production: A Chorus Line at The Shubert Theater back in high school. So I found it a bit amusing to discover that Spamalot was also playing in the Shubert Theater. Perhaps next time I see a production on Broadway, it will be elsewhere.

They hadn't opened the doors when we arrived, so at The World Traveler's suggestion, we checked out the gift store, which sold souvenirs related to various Broadway shows. She looked at the posters promoting upcoming shows and spoke to the clerk about which ones she plans to see. I didn't see anything I wanted to spend money on, but My College Roommate found a card for a musical that a friend of hers loves, so she bought it for her.

When we finished in the gift store, they had opened the doors. I worried momentarily about the sign that said, "No Cameras," but The World Traveler assured me that simply meant you couldn't take pictures, not that you couldn't take them in. As it is, they didn't check our bags anyway.

We had terrific seats, thanks to The World Traveler, who used her knowledge of such things to get us good seats for a song. We were in the right section, about 10 rows back on the aisle. Of course, the set when we arrived looked much the same as when I'd seen the touring company in Philadelphia, back in April 2007. It looked like a large, medieval gate, flanked by two towers. Very little was different in the interior sets, as well.

In the first scene, as King Arthur (Michael Siberry) encounters two quibbling guards who take him to task over the origin of the coconuts carried by his footman, Patsy (David Hibbard), I thought I recognized one of the guards as Clay Aiken. But forgetting that most of the actors play multiple parts in Spamalot, I thought, "He wouldn't be in such a minor role."

Then, as the gates opened on "Finland" and "Fisch Schlapping Song," I was pleased with our view. We could see the expressions on the actors' faces, which is not something I enjoyed the first time around.

Having seen the play once before, I liked it just as much, even though I knew many of the jokes. It was fun to see how this particular cast performed it differently. For one, they worked in topical references that weren't even relevant when I last saw the show. During the second Knights of Ni sketch, when they change their name, the new name started "Ecke, ecke, ecke," followed by a string of nonsense syllables and closed by the Knight holding out the flap of an imaginary trench coat and saying, "You want to buy a Senate seat?" That, of course, a reference to the latest political scandal, involving the shady governor of Illinois, Rod Blagojevich. The audience roared.

At another point in the play, The Lady of the Lake (Merle Dandridge) worked in a snippet of the song, "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)" by Beyonce: "If you like it, then you shoulda put a ring on it," doing the dance move from the famous video.

As far as the performances were concerned, I'd been most curious to see how Clay Aiken did. For someone who was continually making faces and contorting himself into strange positions, he still had a hell of a voice. Anyone who can contort himself to that degree and still project for the back row has talent. I wasn't sure at first if he was hamming it up a bit too much, but The World Traveler, who saw the production when it first opened, said that David Hyde Pierce gave a similar performance. She suggested that maybe the director wants that role to be played like that. (For a taste of his performance, view this video on YouTube.)

I was very impressed with Rick Holmes, who played Lancelot and doubled as the French Taunter, the Knight of Ni and Tim the Enchanter. This role had been originated by Hank Azaria. He threw himself into each role so completely that it was often halfway through the scene before you realized it was the same actor.

By contrast, Clay Aiken was fairly similar in the guard role and Sir Robin, but when he played Brother Maynard, the keeper of the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, he was completely different, walking in a slow shuffling gate and, with his reading from the Book of Armaments, seemingly channeling Rowan Atkinson.

I also give props to Michael Siberry as King Arthur (a role originated by Tim Curry), who happened to be the same performer I'd seen in the traveling production in Philadelphia. I loved being able to see his facial expressions: the twinkle in his eye as he muddled through, good-naturedly, trying to lead his men and hold onto his dignity despite sometimes overwhelmingly silly circumstances.

Merle Dandridge did a terrific job as The Lady of the Lake. She wasn't quite as over-the-top as the actress in the Philadelphia performance, who I'd thought for a while might actually be a drag queen! She did a good job of handling the challenging songs while, at the same time, making fun of the conventions of musical theater and the attitudes of divas.

I was surprised at the end when confetti drops on the audience, because I'd forgotten about it. Then again, we'd sat in the balcony and weren't part of the confetti experience.

I'm with ausdon, my favorite version of Hallelujah is kd lang's. I'm damn curious to know why that was a voting choice for Clay to sing a few months ago...and wonder what happened to that whole poll. Ah well. Someday. (I think Clay could even make KAndre like that song...)

KAndre thinks REALLY hard...

OK, if Clay is willing to feel me up during the singing of Hallelujah, I'm sure I could manage to like that performance...c'mon, Clay! Take one for the team!

Morning!....NB, not GOOD morning :( I should take a pic out my window and show you what it's doing right now. :( Will this winter ever end???

Still praying for any hope of getting to my plane on Monday....it's a 3 hr drive away.

But for some sunshine to brighten your day: Vanislandgirl, the winner of the option to sit in the orchestra pit with Sean McDaniel, has posted her pics as well on the OFC. I would bring them over but she has asked that they not travel. It's post # 10756 in the Spam Thread (Message Board/Tours/Spamalot/Spamalot 2.0)

The ice storm hit...work is closed...but we still have power at home. W000t! I can play hooky!!!!

Woo hoo for those of you who get to stay home today! I don't think they ever cancel work here....we're in the midst of a blizzard, and it's supposed to get progressively worse as the day goes on, who knows if we'll even make it home tonight, LOL. But at least they closed the schools so I don't have to worry about that. My son is a happy couch tomato potato today. ;)

FromClaygary, let's think positive. The most recent forecast that I've heard says that Saturday and Monday are supposed to be ok. It's today, Sunday and Tuesday/Wednesday that are going to be snowy. Which airport are you flying out of?

Waves. I'm getting the same snow / sleet / freezing rain / thunderstorm crap as ldyj and aikim, and am home too. I'm using my very last vacation day of the year, so that means I have to drag myself into the office on the Friday after Christmas. Oh, well... It'll be Clack and cookie making for me today. Stay safe, y'all!

snowflake_sway.gifsnowflake_sway.gifsnowflake_sway.gif

keepingfaith
should have warned you - I'm an argumentative bitch! But charming! I swear, I can be charming!

Yes, claytonic, she is charmingly argumentative. I know because I'm pretty darned argumentative myself about some things, although not nearly so charming as KAndre! Whether the discussion is about celebrity behavior or world domination, she's all in. And that's the way we like it!

Truth is, while it is reassuring for my self-esteem to occasionally have someone agree with me, I really don't mind it when someone refutes what I think because I've never learnt anything from anyone who always agrees with me. (Sadly, though, I am not charming :huh: )

Interesting to read everyone's take on Hallelujah. The only one I couldn't recall was KD Lang's so I looked it up and she really does have an amazing version. In fact, everyone's version is so very different. I actually like Alexandra's, maybe because I have watched the whole series and have come to enjoy her style and sound.

BTW, if you are a Mariah fan, you might be interested in seeing her performance of Hero on XFactor

She sounds very different. I was quite taken-aback. Not saying she didn't do it well. but she didn't hit the notes everyone expected her to, it was just so very different to the Hero that is so familiar to everyone. Britney also performed, well she MIMED Womanizer. I felt it was totally unacceptable since everyone else sang live throughout the entire series. Beyonce was the biggest hit of all.

Speaking of Beyonce, I am prepared to concede that no one is under any kind of obligation to send condolences, thoughts and prayers - whatever - to someone who has had a significant and tragic loss. But it would have been the decent thing to do.

(Not long ago, someone I knew died of heart attack and I sent a card expressing my condolences to his family and rather than flowers, I mentioned I had made a donation to the Heart Foundation. I did not like the person who had died, but this was a life-changing situation for his adult kids, and I didn't want to dismiss their loss and grief just because I had not liked their father when he was alive.)

The ice storm hit...work is closed...but we still have power at home. W000t! I can play hooky!!!!

Woo hoo for those of you who get to stay home today! I don't think they ever cancel work here....we're in the midst of a blizzard, and it's supposed to get progressively worse as the day goes on, who knows if we'll even make it home tonight, LOL. But at least they closed the schools so I don't have to worry about that. My son is a happy couch tomato potato today. ;)

FromClaygary, let's think positive. The most recent forecast that I've heard says that Saturday and Monday are supposed to be ok. It's today, Sunday and Tuesday/Wednesday that are going to be snowy. Which airport are you flying out of?

Buffalo....I fly out early Tues AM and have a hotel for Monday night, so at least I can drive during daylight hours hopefully and just take it slow if there is a problem. The forecast here says Snow for Monday; yesterday it said sunshine. Who the heck knows until you wake up that day, here. Really glad I'm not driving today though!

Friday is my normal off day from work anyway...but I am not making my weekly trip to the grocery store so the family will just have to eat what is in the fridge until I can.

Right now I am cleaning...just finished my bathroom and now I have to get in my girls bathroom and clean that. Already cleaned the stove and have one load of laundry in.

Haven't heard from hubby, so I don't know if he is on his way home or not...he has a normal 40 minute ride home but I imagine today it will be twice that.

Kim

Weather woes? Hmmmm...well, it rained really hard during the night and it's been purdy danged cold for this area---30's during the day!

ausdon, a coworker of mine is going to Brazil for the holidays so he and his family will be sweating just like you are!

Leaving now to get my stitches removed at the Endodontist from Hell's office. Wish me luck.....

pssst :unsure: PSST! YOU! over here.....did you hear the latest? :ninja:

Clay Aiken is pregnant! B)

You heard it here first second third tenth fiftieth after every rag has already declared it so! :)

A co-worker sent this to me today. Reminded me of those of you battling the snow right now and plus I love animals and its so cute to see this dog enjoying himself so much!!!

http://www.maniacworld.com/dog-having-a-bl...n-the-snow.html

(((Couchie))) I do hope you can find a way to come to NYC for the last shows!!

:lol: that'll be me as I try to get out of the house when this quits! Hope I have as good a sense of direction as that dog has! :hysterical:

You heard it here first second third tenth fiftieth after every rag has already declared it so! :)

Well, I knew the man was mad talented...but I didn't expect this! :cryingwlaughter:

Kim

I'll add to the weather woes. I foolishly stupidly bravely decided to go to school today (the last before the Christmas break) - drove 40kms through less than ideal conditions, just to be looked at like I was nuts (by the same teacher who mocked those who missed days because of weather yesterday) and then sent home an hour later. Erg!! PSA to anybody in my area. DO NOT go on the 401. Just, no.

Glad to be home, and now I'm off til January 5th. There are a few good things about being a student again, heee!

FromClaygary, I hope Mother Nature cooperates for your flight. Couchie - GO TO NYC! You are not the only person in your family, and you deserve both some help and some time off.

Good God, Cindy! I'm glad you're OK! Can't even imagine being on the highway in this, it must be killer. Literally. This "light snow" we were supposed to get of about 5-10 cm (4") is going to end up being 2 ft I bet.

I can't see a thing moving out my windows~but then :lol: I can't really see out the windows, so that's not saying much! Right now, I'm feeling sorry for my neighbours that can't get their cars in their garages....and a wee bit smug that I can.

Have changed to praying the power stays on now. :) Going to be a bit chilly in here if it doesn't!

ETA: just heard from my middle DS in Calgary~it's 35 below (=35 below F as well) in Calgary, snowing and blowing there too. BLECHHHHHHH!!!!!! :(

Good God, Cindy! I'm glad you're OK! Can't even imagine being on the highway in this, it must be killer. Literally. This "light snow" we were supposed to get of about 5-10 cm (4") is going to end up being 2 ft I bet.

I can't see a thing moving out my windows~but then :lol: I can't really see out the windows, so that's not saying much! Right now, I'm feeling sorry for my neighbours that can't get their cars in their garages....and a wee bit smug that I can.

Have changed to praying the power stays on now. :) Going to be a bit chilly in here if it doesn't!

ETA: just heard from my middle DS in Calgary~it's 35 below (=35 below F as well) in Calgary, snowing and blowing there too. BLECHHHHHHH!!!!!! :(

Eeep!! That same teacher said that he heard on the radio this morning that this would be the first time in (he couldn't remember for sure either 30 or 70) years that we (Canada) would have a white Christmas coast-to-coast. Sorry - but IMO, 'white Christmas' is about the most over-rated thing on the planet! BAH HUMBUG!!! lololol

My husband just went out to snowblow the driveway. We have about a foot of snow and he is afraid if it gets any deeper the blower will not work. It is blowing and snowing still very heavy. Suppose to keep going to about 7pm. My jacuzzi is almost burried, a foot on top of the cover and big drifts all around it. Where is that Florida room when I need it!

we may have a white christmas, which is not good because we needed to move this weekend and there is supposed to be ice :( if we move out by the 26th then the guy who bought our house will give us 500 dollars, but it looks like nature wont cooperate with us.

Im not moving till the 5th so..hopefully the snow will be done by then :)

Well, I knew the man was mad talented...but I didn't expect this! :cryingwlaughter:

Kim

OMG, do you think he'll let me rub his belly?????

I feel for all of you in the grip of winter right now. We're having very strange weather... it's been raining cats & dogs off and on all morning and windier than all get out. Oh, and it's 67 freaking degrees! :wacko: By Sun. it's supposed to be 9. :wacko:

Thanks for the good wishes - again! - for my mom! Luckily, the orthopedist said no fracture after doing another x-ray. She's just bruised & will be sore for several weeks. She's supposed to be icing her shoulder, but she keeps complaining about being cold!

Glad MamaTomato is doing better and will be home soon. I so hope you're able to work something out regarding her care, Couchie. You do indeed deserve your NYC trip and I agree that you actually need that time away for yourself. Sending more positive energy your way. :big hug:

I've got finals due this weekend. Already the end of my 2nd quarter back in school. After Sunday, no more classes 'til Jan. 12th! :woohoo: