#48: He is...therefore I fan.

Couch Tomato

New Thread Title Poll  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What say ye - what's our new thread title?

• I don't ever have a day so gloomy that Clay's smile doesn't make me happy
    • At the end of the day, who cares? Clay is hot. He?d be hotter naked. ?nuff said
    • Ladies and gentleman, the 49th president of the United States and American Idol runner-up, Clay Aiken!
    • FrstlgrglooMmflsgoolce! :heart: scruffy Clay!
    • The Clay Aiken fandom....it's just fun!
    • I am a fan of the man...pure and simple!

I just saw that Arts funding had been returned to the stimulus package! Yeah for Congress and Robert Redford. Here's a link to New York Times article on it.

:lilredani:

This is GREAT news! We were talking about it in our Fine Arts Fund fund raising kick-off meeting this morning. :clap:

Clay's Sir Robin Broadway Bear went for $16,000! Quite impressive!

Kim

....AND it was the top earner. :dancingpickle: :04:

More GREAT news! :7: And :lmaosmiley-1: at Chris Seiber's offer!

"Don't be vulgar Cordelia ... vulgar is not the same as funny."

:imgtongue:

I *heart* Reed. And Creed.

That is all.

Back to studying!

Me too! :flirtysmile3:

Much like Clay, he seems to be talented, smart, witty, and handsome. Oh! He seems very bendy too.... :26:

ETA:

Either way, yay for the Sir Robin bear 'winning'. I would love to have the money to buy some of these things, but since I don't, I'm very, very glad that some Clay fans do. Kudos to whoever the generous bidder was!!
I do have plans to make a similar bear, with proceeds going to TBAF or UNICEF or BC/EFA - maybe 'buyer's choice'. There will be more than one, but not too terribly many, mainly because of time, but also because I bought the last of the red wigs from my supplier and haven't been able to find anymore at a good price.

I'd sure want to bid on annabear's bears!

Hee how do we know it was a Clay fan bought the bear...It could have been a random person who got a wrong number and was so enamoured of the auctioneer's voice they were lulled into bidding!

From Broadwayworld.com message board - Adam Greer

-The funniest moment of the evening was when Christopher Seiber began offering people free tickets to Spamalot as a way to increase bidding. He even came down from the stage to talk to a woman who was bidding by telephone.

I think he means Chris Seiber was offering tickets for Shrek, not Spamalot, since the bidding for Spam's bear didn't need any help and the show is closed anyway! :hahaha:

Maybe that's why it was funny? (since Spam is closed)

Hee! You may be right, I never thought of that! :)

I agree though, it's wonderful that the Sir Robin bear got the highest bid (again!!). Don't you wish you had that kind of disposable income (or could use that kind of a tax credit)!

For those of you who are Leonard Cohen fans, his next tour is starting this Thursday in New York. I am hoping that there will be a Vancouver date.

I just recently started getting Google alerts for him and he's putting out a new album with a 26-track set culled from the July 17 performance at London's 02 Arena in 2008 and it will be available as either a DVD or two-CD package on March 31.

Thank you! It is sad that he needs to do this mostly because his money was stolen by his manager.

Hmmmm....I need to dig out those CDs, I want to hear Sisters of Mercy (a most perfect song) again. and Hey That's No Way to Say Goodbye. and Famous Blue Raincoat.

I always watch McCabe and Mrs. Miller - an astoundingly beautiful and funny and depressing movie (IMO, etc.) - whenever it is on, because Leonard sings three songs in it.

Cool for the new CD - usually I hatesssss live stuff on CD, but Leonard is an exception.

It is sad--I'm just glad he's still able to bring in audiences and sell albums so that he can have an income again and put something away for the day when he might need it.

I discovered Cohen watching McCabe and Mrs. Miller--I became obsessed (way back when -- LOL). This was back in the dark ages--no VCR, no internet, no instant information. I saw the film in a theatre when it came out, but was so stunned by the whole movie that the songs seemed just a seamless part of the whole thing. Then I saw the movie on TV but they didn't show the full credits and I wanted to know who was singing those songs. I had to know. I had to wait until the movie came around on TV again, which was probably a year, and watch carefully for the credits at the end to find out. This could've happened a couple of times before I finally found out.

I do have plans to make a similar bear, with proceeds going to TBAF or UNICEF or BC/EFA - maybe 'buyer's choice'. There will be more than one, but not too terribly many, mainly because of time, but also because I bought the last of the red wigs from my supplier and haven't been able to find anymore at a good price.

Adde to the list of interested buyers! Claymatron can tell you how disappointed I was back at the Toronto CD party in May when I didn't win the Sir Robin bear we had in our BAF raffle.

soooooooooooooooo... how long does it take you to make one of these bears :lilredani:

soooooooooooooooo... how long does it take you to make one of these bears :lilredani:

It will depend on how on earth I figure out how to get the bead detail on the tux without spending the next year doing it by hand! It's bad because I'm a detail person & I like to make things as close as possible to the original. I'm also trying to make it a two-in-one bear, where it comes with the tabbard & tux outfits being interchangeable since time & hair :lol: are limited.

I have to finish getting stuff unpacked & pictured for our auction and get my puppy (eeeeee!) stuff set up. Then I can focus on the bears.

Bwah Chris Seiber! :cryingwlaughter:

I've been productive today.......sat and watched some Food TV for inspiration, then made the best pot of soup I've ever made in my life. Seriously, I'd go out of my way to buy this soup. :P It is a low-fat creamed brocolli soup, but with some kick. Mmmmmmmmmmmm. I will look forward to lunch this week!

luckiest.... recipe, please! Unless you're going into business and marketing it... LOL I LOVE brocolli.

I love Chris Sieber... he's funny and a good guy!

luckiest.... recipe, please! Unless you're going into business and marketing it... LOL I LOVE brocolli.

I'd love it too please!!

Me three!

And how much would one aforementioned bear cost......hmmmmmm? :lipstick:

Hee, well I didn't use a recipe, that's the amazing thing about it.....I've been watching this Food TV show about cooking without recipes, so I was just playing around. I will attempt to recreate it in the Recipe thread, if I can find it LOL.

ETA: Thread is here http://findingclayaiken.invisionzone.com/i...mp;#entry101180.

luckiest1

I've been productive today.......sat and watched some Food TV for inspiration, then made the best pot of soup I've ever made in my life. Seriously, I'd go out of my way to buy this soup. :P It is a low-fat creamed brocolli soup, but with some kick. Mmmmmmmmmmmm. I will look forward to lunch this week!

Broccoli soup...love it. Please post the recipe..I need the low fat version.

djs111

Thank you! It is sad that he needs to do this mostly because his money was stolen by his manager.

Hmmmm....I need to dig out those CDs, I want to hear Sisters of Mercy (a most perfect song) again. and Hey That's No Way to Say Goodbye. and Famous Blue Raincoat.

I always watch McCabe and Mrs. Miller - an astoundingly beautiful and funny and depressing movie (IMO, etc.) - whenever it is on, because Leonard sings three songs in it.

Yes he needed to go on tour but I think he is enjoying it and his fans have received him so enthusiastically. He performed to sold out crowds last summer in Canada and just recently in Australia. I've read some reviews of the Australian concerts and it sounds as though his energy is high.

I just hope I will be able to get a ticket if he comes here or Seattle.

Have you seen the tribute concert movie Leonard Cohen "I'm Your Man"?

ETA I love this report of Leonard Cohen's comeback and how it came to be. The promoter, a fan since he was 12, was shocked when he heard that Leonard had been robbed and that even his cash card wouldn't work. So he figured out a way to make things better for his hero.

Have you seen the tribute concert movie Leonard Cohen "I'm Your Man"?

No, I think this review covers how I feel about it - even though I have heard praises sung and hosannas ring out about it, I just really only like to hear Cohen sing his songs. I found him sorta by accident - I was into Judy Collins and Peter Paul and Mary, and knew that someone named Leonard Cohen wrote "Suzanne", but didn't think much more about it, I just loved the song.

(IMO Cohen, Dylan, and Willie Nelson are among the finest songwriters ever, it is astonishing how many wonderful songs they have written!)

Years and years later I was working in Den Haag, and was shopping in the little shopping center attached to my hotel, and started searching through a bin of CDs. I had never bought a CD before, did not even have a CD player. (Never bought a tape, either, went right from vinyl to CD).

I was kinda looking for Golden Earring, but couldn't find anything that had both Radar Love and Twilight Zone on it. They are a Dutch group, dangit!

So, I ended up buying The Best of Leonard Cohen out of curiosity, and that was that!

Heee....I started playing it that night at a dinner party where the host was really into Jethro Tull. Everybody hated Cohen's voice, and I was enchanted.

Anyway, here is a review I had found of that movie.....

I'm Your Man review

I did see Tom Petty and Don Henley do a decent job on Everybody Knows, on some TV show, but IMO they lost the meaning to the song somewhere in the jamming. They lost the irony somewhere. I bought that Tower of Power tribute CD, and only listened to part of it, once.

Heh, I found something on the net about the real "Suzanne" - self-centered unpleasant beeyotch. Sorry I shattered that illusion I had.

Promise - this is the last Cohen thing I will mention...but it moved me and I hope someday for someone to use Clay's music like this....this is part of Altman's narrative on the DVD, and is his own words....

Robert Altman and Leonard Cohen

(snipped how Altman came to retrofit McCabe and Mrs. Miller to include Leonard's songs....)

That’s how that music happened to be in this film.

The other thing about it: it fits, the lyrics of these three songs fit the scenes as if they were written for them. I think truthfully what probably happened was that that music was in my head so deep, that when I shot these scenes, subconsciously I fit the scenes to the songs, in my head. Because it was like they illustrate, like they were written for it. So that was really a great experience, and a great lesson, to trust one’s instincts, because there’s a reason why you feel a certain way, and you don’t have to know the reason. If it’s there, it’s like falling in love […] you don’t have to think about those things. […] And my credo is to follow your instincts.

I absolutely love how Altman worded that, it can apply to so many things!

ETA I love this report of Leonard Cohen's comeback and how it came to be. The promoter, a fan since he was 12, was shocked when he heard that Leonard had been robbed and that even his cash card wouldn't work. So he figured out a way to make things better for his hero.

Fantastic article! Thanks for the link.

Oh, and

:loveclaysbutt::cryingwlaughter:

Really off topic...

I just got home from my new job downtown and was amazed to see that I'm home even earlier than when I used to work about 10 miles from here. I'm also ready to kiss the ground and/or my car because as I was rushing out to leave early this morning, I thought I hit the curb next to my garage because I felt a slight bump. I drove into my garage again and was getting ready to back out when this panicked man appeared at my window waving his arms. Apparently I had bumped his car and was about to hit it again. He was pissed and wanted to call the police to file a report but I told him that I needed to drive downtown to a new job so he just copied my info and I left, promising to swing by his unit when I got home from work. The day went sort of ok -- my new computer hadn't arrived but some other team on our floor let me use their lab for the day and then gave me the key so that I could use it again for a few more days, not too much to do since everyone was rushing to prepare for a client conference this week. I left the parking lot at about 4:50 after checking anxiously and finding out that both the playstation3 and the guitar hero guitars were still in it (I had no choice but to leave them there because I forgot to unload them from merrieeee's yesterday, but I guess downtown crime hasn't risen that much yet since they were still in the back), and hurried home to face the music. I picked up a still camera and went upstairs to knock at the guy's door dreading what he was going to say, but when he opened the door he said that he checked it and there wasn't any damage and I probably just hit one of the plastic parts. Woo-hoo!!! *huge sigh of relief*

So, I'm looking forward to being downtown again and having lunch sometime with KAndre and keepingfaith. Oh, and btw my room faces Bell St and because the only thing across us is a parking lot, I can see all the way to Clay Street every time I look out the window. *tiny squeee!*

Topic? :Iluvclaysbutt:

ETA: cindilu2, there's lots more and I'm off to work on them. Wasn't ldyjocelyn's work just amazing? It was her very first time with the camera and that's not easy since it's somewhat unwieldy and unless your hands are as big as Clay's that thing is not very easy to manage.