Thread Title  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What is ournext thread title?

• You go on with your bad self, Mr. Aiken
    • Clay Aiken - Luxuriously Enticing
    • The House of Aiken de la Clay
    • I'll take Clay any day
    • Our cool boyfriend and his thudworthy thighs
    • Those boys!! Double the CUTENESS / Double the FUN!

I kinda wish OMWH or ALAWH had been used as the going home song for AI. Personally, I wouldn't care what he sang if he was on Idol, though if it were up to me :laugh2: I'd probably pick between WIDTL, Ashes, and EIDN. I think all of those show a side of the fabulous Mr. Aiken that the general public is probably unaware of.

Quickie from JFK airport - not sure if you've had anything in regards to Rosie last night but Clay's part was pretty minimal......maybe 20 or 30 seconds of video of him mentoring 3 boys......the lady in front of me was texting about his bits in the program, taking notes, and she filmed his video as well, so I am assuming she's going to post it on some board somewhere. luckiestdaughter thought she looked familiar. I'm terrible with face recognition so if it was someone I should have known, I apologize! Clay was wearing a black and white striped sweater in the video, and spoke a few lines, sang one really high line too, that was kind of funny. The gala was entertaining and Rosie is hilarious. The kids were quite talented and it's a great thing she's doing for them. We headed for Times Square afterwards and took luckiestdaughter's birthday out in style with a meal at the Olive Garden, with a great view.

The Easter Bonnet was funny in spots.......lots of inside Broadway jokes that neither of us got, since we haven't seen many shows, but over all quite enjoyable with a couple of special guests (Liza Minelli and Jane Fonda of all people). The company of Chicago did a bit of a spoof on Spamalot and the other shows that have closed since January, and Clay's name was thrown around a bit, but it was all in fun.

More later - almost time to board. :BlowKiss:

Idol Rankings and it's the competition among fan groups burned me out and tuned me out of idol years ago. Who sold more records. Whose tour grosses are the highest. Who has more awards. The bottom line for me is the measure of my man and all these idols will be decided in 20 years or 30 years, not some particular moment in time. And certainly the one sided view of success of record sales, which largely benefit the record company and not the artist,
will be just one measure
And whether he appears on Idol this season or not won't be part of any measure.

Well, I can't argue with you on that sentiment because I agree entirely HOWEVER, the industry isn't so loyal... it places substantial weight on statistics and awards.

For example, Jennifer Hudson had the SAME voice in 2004 as she has now yet no one offered her a record deal until AFTER she became a sensation in Dreamgirls and won the Oscar, among numerous other notable awards. She is now on tour promoting only her very first album. ETA: Remember her exit from the show ... it had huge coverage with the likes of Elton John and Barry Manilow - and many others - in her corner. Yet, no record deal.

If OMWH had produced more impressive sales figures, perhaps Clay might have been given what he wanted for his recording career instead of an "either this or that" condition ... (what I assume happened, however amicable it may have been).

EATA:

Treenuts, DONE, as per your post below re the poll.

Idol Rankings and it's the competition among fan groups burned me out and tuned me out of idol years ago. Who sold more records. Whose tour grosses are the highest. Who has more awards. The bottom line for me is the measure of my man and all these idols will be decided in 20 years or 30 years, not some particular moment in time. And certainly the one sided view of success of record sales, which largely benefit the record company and not the artist,
will be just one measure

Well, I can't argue with you on that sentiment because I agree entirely HOWEVER, the industry isn't so loyal... it places substantial weight on statistics and awards.

This is true, of course. Many times conglomerates place way too much emphasis on the sales aspects, or the awards aspects, of a career. And unfortunately, careers can be built (or fall) because of that.

But I think what couchie is getting at (and I'm sure she'll correct me if I'm wrong) is that sales really aren't everything. Success can't always be considered just simply sales -- it can be as simple as having a child who loves you. Or being able to share a love of children through charitable foundations. Or being able to raise awareness of GLBT issues to people who never would have taken the initiative to find out about it.

Therefore, Clay is successful to me and always will be. And I would venture a guess that he'll be remembered for much of that in 20 to 30 years as well.

That's kinda my point. My other point is Jennifer in five years might not be able to buy a contract once more. I mean her sales aren't overwhelming - in fact, if she had those sales 5 years ago she would have been considered a failure. Don't see on earth she'll be catching Daughtery or Clay any time soon as Claytonic suggested unless Daughtery or Clay will never record again and not sale another album for the next 10 years..it's not like people make albums every year. I count her success more on her acting side. But I wasn't actually speaking about the industry at all. I'm not naive. I understood that Clay did good things for Spam sales but TO me I was more interested in seeing him grow and expand as an entertainer. So I was just talking about what's important to me and what I find interesting. Comparing idols is just something I abhor. I couldn't stand it 6 years ago and I can't stand it now. It's just so meaningless and next year it will all be different, the year after that will alll be different once more.

so this swin flu.. how much should we be concerned or should I turn of the news. Geeze.

ETA: Twitter... am I being sold a load of bull? I can't get away from hearing about twitter..but I jut finished my project and there are not that many people with a lot of followers. Or is that not the point and it's just fun to follow what friends are up to?

:yeahthat: See, I try to not get caught up in all that either. I'm just a fan of the crotch er, man pure and simple! :hahaha:

Can't believe I'm doing this because any kind of foot-tapping in relation to Clack makes my uploads go obstinately slooooow, but is there any word at all about Clack from Rosie's benefit last night?

:<can't-find-a-waiting-patiently icon>: (anyone have a RHW smiley?)

Still enjoying the pictures....

:Iluvclaysbutt:

will be just one measure

This is true, of course. Many times conglomerates place way too much emphasis on the sales aspects, or the awards aspects, of a career. And unfortunately, careers can be built (or fall) because of that.

But I think what couchie is getting at (and I'm sure she'll correct me if I'm wrong) is that sales really aren't everything. Success can't always be considered just simply sales -- it can be as simple as having a child who loves you. Or being able to share a love of children through charitable foundations. Or being able to raise awareness of GLBT issues to people who never would have taken the initiative to find out about it.

Therefore, Clay is successful to me and always will be. And I would venture a guess that he'll be remembered for much of that in 20 to 30 years as well.

How did I misunderstand what
Couchie
said when this was my primary response "
Well, I can't argue with you on that sentiment because
I agree entirely
HOWEVER, the industry isn't so loyal... it places substantial weight on statistics and awards."

I also think Clay is extremely successful, I posted yesterday exactly that, he is the highest selling male artist from AI and the highest ever AI artist who didn't win. How can that be regarded as anything but highly successful? I was simply referring to how the TPTB in the industry and how they determine who gets a recording contract.

That's kinda my point. My other point is Jennifer in five years might not be able to buy a contract once more. I mean her sales aren't overwhelming - in fact, if she had those sales 5 years ago she would have been considered a failure. Don't see on earth she'll be catching Daughtery or Clay any time soon as Claytonic suggested unless Daughtery or Clay will never record again and not sale another album for the next 10 years..it's not like people make albums every year. I count her success more on her acting side. But I wasn't actually speaking about the industry at all. I'm not naive. I understood that Clay did good things for Spam sales but TO me I was more interested in seeing him grow and expand as an entertainer. So I was just talking about what's important to me and what I find interesting. Comparing idols is just something I abhor. I couldn't stand it 6 years ago and I can't stand it now. It's just so meaningless and next year it will all be different, the year after that will alll be different once more.

so this swin flu.. how much should we be concerned or should I turn of the news. Geeze.

ETA: Twitter... am I being sold a load of bull? I can't get away from hearing about twitter..but I jut finished my project and there are not that many people with a lot of followers. Or is that not the point and it's just fun to follow what friends are up to?

As I said, I don't think I missed your point in the first place, since I agreed with it!

I don't know about Jennifer Hudson, she may not pass Clay and Chris but she is very much on the up right now. Her first love is singing, not acting, and while again I agree with you that she will get more work acting, having her face "out there" more and more means her singing career will be supported as well.

As far as stats go, record sales in 2009 is entirely different to record sales in 2003, entirely. The record industry knows this, and I think we've discussed this before, that money to be made in music will be in live performances and the record labels will broaden the role they play for an artist they sign up but they are still going through a transition. I know someone who has thousands of albums on CD, and he never paid for a single one because downloading or burning a CD is a piece of cake, and more and more people are not really buying music except for their favorite artists because they want to support them. With the economy the way it is, even those who would normally buy records rather than download, aren't doing it, and what they are saying is that they will get a free download and save their money for tickets to a tour. And the record companies KNOW this. ETA: And by the time the economy recovers, even those who were previously regular record buyers will probably continue the trend of the free download-trade-for tickets to a live gig, since new albums and tours often go together. Ticket sales will then be the determining factor on how an artist is doing. In the UK right now, XFactor artists, including winners (they don't have Idol anymore) are losing their recording contracts AND having their concert tour dates canceled or drastically pruned, even after combining tour dates with another artist to try to save the tour. It's not a great time for any industry.

when I win the lotto Scarlett... you are all set. Wait.. don't we have a lotto winner here? Claytonic may want to start the pot :cryingwlaughter:

Hey, I won the dish lottery tonight! Hubby had to wash and I dried.

Does that count? :imgtongue:

From CV:

Hi Everyone,

I am always here, but mostly a lurker. Coming out of lurkdom to hope these pics brighten your day as so many of your posts have brightened ours. Three of us whent to see Rosie's Broadway Kids last night and it was a wonderful night.

These are pictures captured from a video viewing screen at Rosie's Broadway Kids after-party on 4/27/09. They are pictures of Clay mentoring the children for their terrific "Corner of the Sky" performance. The children have been cropped out of the pictures.

The event was wonderful and the children were amazing. We learned a lot about the mission of Rosie's Broadway Kids which offers classes in dance and music and a professional theater experience for children who might otherwise not have the opportunity. The goal of Rosie's Broadways Kids is to inspire excellence, motivate learning, uplift the human spirit and instill a lifelong appreciation for the arts.

Please excuse the quality of the pictures. We aren't great photographers and the lighting wasn't the best. At least that is our excuse :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Mary...y-Rosie/014.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Mary...y-Rosie/016.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Mary...y-Rosie/020.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Mary...y-Rosie/022.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Mary...y-Rosie/023.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Mary...y-Rosie/025.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Mary...y-Rosie/026.jpg

His clothing just makes me laugh (what a bulky sweater, but whatever), but he looks so joyful and happy mentoring the kids....:::heart::::

when I win the lotto Scarlett... you are all set. Wait.. don't we have a lotto winner here? Claytonic may want to start the pot :cryingwlaughter:
Hey, it was just over $6.5K, not really enough to even fix some things that need fixing around the house but that may have to wait if Clay replied to my telepathic message about ditching everything in his life and organizing a summer tour of the cities I want to visit. I can't believe he hasn't even bothered to respond to me.... :cry4:

claytonic, were you on the debate team in high school? :cryingwlaughter: Just askin'

Clay looks fantastic in those pics - love the sweater. It's so him. I bet he had a blast mentoring the kids in this.

Which is another good point.. some people can sell a lot of records and not sustain a tour and that is always where the money has been made and now the record companies will want a bigger piece. Who knows where any of it is going. So what someone is doing today means nothing really except they have some momentum for awhile to get some things done but who knows how long it will last. On the other side of the coind, one performance can shoot someone into the stratosphere unexpectedly -- ask Ricky Martin.The whole list could be upside down in 5 years. Yes the record industry is different and they won't be able to sustain itself with people selling less than 1 million albums and calling it a success. On the other hand -- many of my favorite singers have had 40 year careers and never sold double platinum.

Oooh I'm not saying this as a way to say Clay is successful or not successful - I'm not being defensive FOR Clay nor am I questioning anything you've said Claytonic. All makes sense to me - just giving my perspective. I could care less if Clay remains the most successful selling male idol of all time. Records are made to be broken and that one will be if Daughtery releases another album soon. It's just not a measure of his success for me but I don't care if it is for anyone else. I care about Clay's success, just not in comparison to anyone else. Not saying that's how the worlds looks at things, just me which means absolutely nothing to anyone but - me. :cryingwlaughter:

Thanks for the pictures. I needed that sweater today..it was so windy here.

Claytonic..I think a thousand or two is enough to last her awhile :cryingwlaughter: I've always said I didn't need the 50 million...10K will do.I'd be happy with that. But I guess I have to play to win.

I will never understand why so many hate Clay's sweaters. I bought a new sweater with argyle on the front and stripes on the back. I love quirky sweaters. Must be that NC water.

I hope they make that video available. Teacher Clay is the best. :wordpooper:

I LOVE that man... :cryingwlaughter: and his "interesting" outfits! :hahaha:

00lsee... I LOVE that banner! I know I said that already, but everytime I log in... :hubbahubba:

I do bet he had a blast mentoring those kids. He got to combine two loves. Kids and teaching. Wonder how he liked teaching musical theatre???

couchie... we are in scary, and yet at the same time, interesting, even exhilerating times. Everything is shifting. So much is changing and new ways of doing things are developing in every arena. Musicians have to find new ways to get the music out there and unique ways to succeed. When Clay said he would be recording soon, my heart went pitty pat. I think if he had signed with a new label, they and he would have said something... unless they want to wait until a new album is ready to announce. I wonder if he has formed his own label and is going to be an innovator in how to distribute music. I can't wait to find out and I believe with all my heart that Clay will succeed in being an entertainer, a successful entertainer, with a long, but probably very unique career.

When Clay said he would be recording soon, my heart went pitty pat.

mine too!!

And it is uncertain and exhilarating all at once. I think imagination and creativity is what is needed now. I'm hoping we come out of this period with more artists being able to get a bigger part of the pie... and even if not Clay, someone else or the next person like Scarlett said on that great post awhile back.

ETA: If you know WORD really really well (tables) ..can you PM me?

claytonic,
were you on the debate team in high school?
:cryingwlaughter:
Just askin'

Clay looks fantastic in those pics - love the sweater. It's so him. I bet he had a blast mentoring the kids in this.

I would need time to try and remember school, since it was so long ago.

Actually, I also wondered about you and school. Are you able to remember if you deliberately ignored certain girls in high school unless there was an opportunity to attack them, and most especially when you realized you could piggy-back on someone else and high-five along with them so that your victim is flattened to your heart's content? Just sayin' :hahaha:

When Clay said he would be recording soon, my heart went pitty pat.

mine too!!

ETA: If you know WORD really really well (tables) ..can you PM me?

KAndre is the expert on Word, although I am not sure she wants everyone to know that :cryingwlaughter: The first problem I had with Word2007 was that some people who hadn't upgraded, couldn't open my files, and I had to convert them to Word2003. But that was a couple of years ago, I just remember wondering why on earth my files weren't working then the penny dropped.

A few things I just don't get:

1. "Fan" competition. I just don't get it.

2. Why Clay gets slammed on the shirts and sweaters he wears. I think has his own casual and very unique style. I'm around at least 500 guys in their 20s and 30s five days a week. Clay's wardrobe is contemporary and undoubtedly more expensive, but very much like what guys wear every day, only better.

3. Idol hate. Without Idol the world wouldn't have Clay. Sure the show is manipulative and can be ugly on occasion (the case for every reality show I know of), but it's Idol and sometimes a star really is born. As far as the principals are concerned, Idol could be around long after Simon, Paula and Randy are retired.

4. Jennifer Hudson. She has a powerful voice, but I don't especially like the songs she recorded. Her album doesn't grab me and blow my mind -- and I kind of need that in my music. I don't know if Jordin Sparks will take an R&B turn in her career, but I heard her sing some Aretha in front of Aretha last year, and she did blow me away. And I love Allison this year.

5. Why staying on top seems to be much harder for women than men in the music business, and especially in country music. Some of those old dudes are around long after they've lost their voices and their charms, but female country stars flame and fade so quickly. I have a friend who's a country fan, and looking through her album collection really drove that home to me. I guess it's still a beauty contest for the girls.

6. Why some of the fans at OFC post 10 or 12 off-the-wall questions in a row that anybody with a ounce of sense knows Clay won't answer. What's up with that?

Okay that's it. Everything else I get. Oh, yeah, except maybe why KAndre loves to travel so much!!!!!!!