#51: You go on with your bad self, Mr. Aiken

Thread Title Poll  

62 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA

• Clay is stil around, getting bigger balls, better hair, and broader shoulders.
    • "He doesn't need the spotlight. He just glows."
    • Simon Says: Shut Up And Sing 2 (Learning to keep mah foot outta mah mouth)
    • Clay Aiken: Just like Timex...takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'

I can understand a lot of things but critiquing a performance the person hasn't given is proof positive the woman is on drugs. And why are you taking notes at a rehearsal to use as comments when the live performance can be completely different? There is something intrinsically wrong in that IMO. Maybe she needs a crutch and has a hard time talking off the cuff but it was just so wrong.

I totally agree with you in principle but the thing is, couchie, television is all about illusion and very, very little is left to chance. Live television is made to look spontaneous but that is so far from reality. In fact, speaking of reality ... even reality TV such as Big Brother is manipulated ... what is shown is often out of context to the bigger picture and so viewers make judgments on something that amounts to borderline fiction. They would do anything to hold on to viewers because that means they hold on to their advertizers, and therefore their jobs.

ETA: And YES, Pawler has appeared weird too many times for something to not be awry, be it her medication for a fingernail infection or whatever her manicurist did to her or someone slipped something into her cup of Coke. I have seen videos of her vehemently denying ever being under the influence of drugs or alcohol but don't believe her. I saw one interview she did where it was so OTT that I felt uncomfortable and embarrassed for her.

About that new UM clip...

Can I just say that that rendition was out of this world and I'm going crazy asking myself why, why, why I didn't go to that dinner? I love sushi, all kinds but especially the rare kinds that are served only on special dinners like that. And I adore oysters on the half shell! I would go to a fresh seafood fest by itself, one without a glimmer of a hope that someone's going to show up to sing, so why why why didn't I go?!!! *Aaaaaaarghhh*

:cry4:

:hello:

Well, I'm going on vacation in the morning (hopefully) so I thought I'd say 'bye tonight! Been lurking and reading and pretty much enjoying all the convos. I'm gonna miss them while I'm gone! I need to make a big Clack list to download when I get back. Haven't been able to get the UM video or the DF&F Clack, yet... :(

Ah, well. Cheerio!

ETA:

I want Clay to record Unchained Melody. Just record it now and put it on iTunes. No album necessary. No promotion. Just do it!

And "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me." It's ridiculous that there isn't a version of that on iTunes. And a complete To Love Somebody. I'd better stop now.

:yeahthat: For me, Somewhere Out There and Tell Her About It and Build Me Up Buttercup are on that list!

Clay is a celebrity...he is going to have jokes made about him...he is going to have things said in the NE about him...just like every other celebrity...it comes with the territory...you either have to learn to deal with it and let it roll off your back or you are going to spend inordinate amounts of time being angry and frustrated and life is too short to live that way.

:yeahthat:

Clay is the ultimate Clay Aiken. :lilredani:

:yeahthat:

I want Clay to record Unchained Melody. Just record it now and put it on iTunes. No album necessary. No promotion. Just do it!

And "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me." It's ridiculous that there isn't a version of that on iTunes. And a complete To Love Somebody. I'd better stop now.

:hello:

Well, I'm going on vacation in the morning (hopefully) so I thought I'd say 'bye tonight! Been lurking and reading and pretty much enjoying all the convos. I'm gonna miss them while I'm gone! I need to make a big Clack list to download when I get back. Haven't been able to get the UM video or the DF&F Clack, yet... :(

Ah, well. Cheerio!

Have a great vacation. :pirateship: Hopefully we will have great Clay news when you get back! :smiles_141:

I understand all about reality shows and their editing/manipulations - but NORMALLY I enjoy it anyway for what it is. I was just telling Ansa ( I let her out of the basement for a snack :cryingwlaughter: ) today how I was looking forward to all of my favorites: Project Runway, Next Food Network Star and So You Think you can Dance. I accept what they are and for the most part love finding all the silly manipulations behind the shows - it's part of the fun of them. But If TAR execs snuck around and let the air out of a participant's car tires to hold them up or Project Runway judges stole someone's material I wouldn't watch them either. So I understand, just don't accept that giving a negative review before someone opens their mouth is just all part of doing business. Most people don't care which is good for them - they are #1. Speaking of reality - 8 minutes to survivor finale!

Scarlett... I'm always out of the loop. Didn't even know there was a dinner I could etry to worm my way into hee. I'm such a rookie which is why I will always treasure catching Clay and Hannah/Spam folks at Broadway Cares/Easter Bonnet last year. How did I do that :cryingwlaughter: It is for sure one of my most special memories ever. Hmm I think I need to listen to that. He was simply FLAWLESS that day - in voice, in look, in everything. Wonder what Hannah is up to. I think I'll go youtube/google her. Out of everyone Clay has ever worked with not named Angela or Quiana - she's the one that simply won me over with her sheer talent. I remember my first Spam - the woman literally knocked me out of my seat.

UM clip. I knew there was something I forgot to do!

So some fan posted that on Reed's myspace? Eh. Not sure what the big deal is. Probably just me.

Just that it is cute, and Reed chooses which comments to display, is all. Not a big deal, just a pleasantry.

Hee! Might not mean a thing, but it sure brought a big-ass grin to my face!

Thanks!

Ditto with the grin and an awwww.....

jamar, have you seen Jim Gaffigan's latest routine, on BACON? Fantastic stuff... BACON is here!

I find Jim hysterical no matter what routine it is.

My favorite line in that clip...

Pillow jokes? Really? He's doing pillow jokes?

I didn't realize he was going to be so "edgy" ....

:hahaha:

My point exactly. At one point in his career he WAS told he should "edge" it up and start using more raw language, drop a few f-bombs here and there.

He refused.

Just cuz.

Love him.

And yes, I know he and Conan are great friends. Conan could take some lessons, IMO.

---

*swoon* I love that new UM clip. :wub:

And I'm also loving Clay's latest answers on the OFC. OMG. How can he say he sucks at Math?

Thanks to whoever posted that link to the "Bacon " clip. I had heard of Jim Gaffigan but did not really "get" him. I now have him on my list of YT clips to look at when time allows. I love the bolded part above. Good for him that he is who he is and plans to just be that way .(sounds a bit like someone else....)

I admire comedians who can "keep it clean" and also not belittle other specific celebs. Although, there are some who work "blue" who are still v.v. funny but not meanspirited.

Love Amtrak ! Our travel agent recommended we do a few legs of our trip last year by train and it was a great idea. The trip from Washington to NY was great and probably took the same or less time than flying when you add up all the waiting time at the airports and the trip from the airport into our hotel etc plus we got to see some of the countryside.

So I understand, just don't accept that giving a negative review before someone opens their mouth is just all part of doing business.

No argument there, couchie, my point is that they may choose to make some notes from the rehearsal performance they saw and use them for the performance that goes to air, so they have their "rehearsed" comments ready and at hand, and that would be totally acceptable if both performances were similar. However, Pawler made a mistake by commenting on the contestant's SECOND song from her notes when, as far as the TV audience was concerned, it was yet to be performed. Pawler obviously had a senior moment, and that's putting it kindly. They could have taken it out but I guess they thought it would create discussion about Idol, which it did. So it wasn't intentional on Pawler's part to give a premature critique .. I am not sticking up for her, just saying that it wasn't meant to happen, well at least I don't think it did!

Thanks to whoever posted that link to the "Bacon " clip. I had heard of Jim Gaffigan but did not really "get" him. I now have him on my list of YT clips to look at when time allows. I love the bolded part above. Good for him that he is who he is and plans to just be that way .(sounds a bit like someone else....)

I admire comedians who can "keep it clean" and also not belittle other specific celebs. Although, there are some who work "blue" who are still v.v. funny but not meanspirited

Hey,ausdon, DITTO to all that!

Like you, I was planning to do some YouTubing as I always do when someone here mentions something that is unfamiliar to me. Also agree, nothing beats a good clean joke that isn't unkind to specific celebrities. For that reason, I find what's-her-name, the skinny b*tch with all the cosmetic surgeries... uncomfortable to watch.

clayzycoffin, have a wonderful time!

Another commercial for Spam. I may go see it for old times sake.

A real bitchfest on Survivor. Love it.

ETA: Great seats available for Spam. I'm trying to find a cast list. I thought I heard Meryl was going to be in it somewhere.

I flove JT!! I am so glad they didn't give it to that schlemiel Stephen. :clap:

But wait....Noooooo......it sounds like JT may be looking at "doing business" with Stephen in the near future?! WTF

JT: I couldn't have done it without you Stephen, I owe ya, buddy.

Stephen: Oh Hey JT, no need to feel obligated. But, I have this great investment I think you should go in on and double your $$$. No monkey!

tree: Ugh!!!

Clay content: :loveclaysbutt:

Hey! I love Stephen! And obviously JT does too. So there. ppplffft.

I really really wish Taj would have won but I was okay with anyone in the final 4 except Erinn.

---

No work for me today...just the periodontist and I'm okay with that! I love my periodontist!

Good Morning Everyone,

I know AI and all the other reality shows are about manipulation and are scripted, etc....but it has always bugged me that the judges were allowed at rehearsals; just seems if they wanted to present an objective opinion, than they wouldn't see the contestants until the actual performance and we would get an unscripted opinion of the performance. I know not going to happen and that 's not the way the show is set up...but I think it would be a much better show...this is why I don't like these kinds of shows...too much manipulation and phoniness.

NCT Awards tonight! :yahoo:

152 Days until The BAF Gala! :yahoo:

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

Love the trains around the world...even liked rickshaw dude.

WOW hard to believe rickshaws still exist. I thought they would be obsolete by now, and replaced by trishaws.

I have a picture from last summer! KAndre and I were probably his favorite passengers. Just need to find the right external drive...
Oh I have no doubt about being his favorites... if he got an American-sized tip!!! :cryingwlaughter:

My burning question is.... did you see him use a cell phone? That's one of the most bizarre things about the preservation of 'primitive' traditions whilst embracing modern, 'indispensable' technology.

ETA:

I have never gotten the "you must only like Clay if you are a fan" mentality. Having said that, I do like some of Groban's stuff, and almost always feel like people are looking at me like I've got two heads when I admit to it. The same with Buble (whom I actually like even more, but then I've always loved "Rat Pack" type of music). I think the key is to not take it all so personally. Like who you like, don't like who you don't like, but give everyone else the freedom to choose those same things. Even if they don't like Clay.

I prefer Michael Buble to Cranky Franky (as he was called here in Oz when he referred to our local journos 'hookers'.... not that they didn't deserve it for relentlessly hounding him).

and... at the risk of sounding utterly sacrilegious to those who worship at the alter of Queen Aretha ... I prefer Kelly Clarkson's version of R.E.S.P.E.C.T. There, I said it! (I also prefer the Aiken version of BOTW ... although I will forever be a fan of Garfunkle)

ETA: Great seats available for Spam. I'm trying to find a cast list. I thought I heard Meryl was going to be in it somewhere.

I was reading this morning and my teenage boys saw that pic of Clay's but and couldn't stop laughing.

Hey! I love Stephen! And obviously JT does too. So there. ppplffft.

Hey, I don't care if he sleeps with him I just hope he doesn't give him any of his dough!

heh

I was reading this morning and my teenage boys saw that pic of Clay's but and couldn't stop laughing.

You mean mah ass kissing pic?

Awwwwe, I'm touched :lipstick:

**Currently listening to some guy singing The Real Me and it's pretty fucking good :Thud:

(I also prefer the Aiken version of BOTW ... although I will forever be a fan of Garfunkle)

Heeeee......I don't think FCA is the board for easily-offended-altar-worshippers! (Except maybe for the guy we are Finding, that is why we are here, I believe!)

But I prefer Aretha, and I prefer Simon and Garfunkle's BOTW and while I love to hear Clay sing everything, I have never ever ever cared for UM. Too bombastic, no matter who sings it.

I really really wanted to like Buble more than I do, it is not a matter of being loyal to Sinatra, I just don't feel Buble gets into the songs, or something. "Lite" is how I think of him. Shrug. I do love Linda Ronstadt's versions of the standards, though, and I don't really like to hear Kelly sing much of anything, although she does have a good voice. She is a loud breather, and once I notice that, I am outta there.

I do love Linda Ronstadt's versions of the standards, though, and I don't really like to hear Kelly sing much of anything, although she does have a good voice. She is a loud breather, and once I notice that, I am outta there.

djs...I FLOVE Linda Ronstadt! Gawd, in the 70's and 80's I was totally a fan--had all her music and even sang a lot of it during my stint as a nightclub singer! I think her voice is so versatile and she's proven her true talent by doing so many different things---opera, country, Mexican folk, Nelson Riddle orchestral standards and such a great pop voice. Saw her in concert back in the late 70's and when she sang Desperado--half of it acappella--in a huge outdoor venue? Holy shit, you could hear a pin drop among the throng of thousands.

I like Kelly and like a lot of her songs, but I'm with you on the 'heavy breather' thing. Drives me nuts (and is a characteristic of Adam Lambert that detracts from his talent, for me)...but the girl can SANG!

OMG...I just on a whim bought Sly & the Family Stone's Greatest Hits album from iTunes, and "I Wanna Take Ya Higher" is playing now!

WHAT MEMORIES THIS BRINGS BACK! :dancingpickle::pimpsmily: :RandomSmiley: :dancemexicannana::manynanas: :club0: :all_coholic: :party045::roundel: :09: :04:

Saw her in concert back in the late 70's and when she sang Desperado--half of it acappella--in a huge outdoor venue? Holy shit, you could hear a pin drop among the throng of thousands.

I saw her in Champaign-Urbana, around that time, and she closed with Desperado - and the guy I was with wanted to leave so we could get out of the parking lot. We argued about that one!

She is awesome.

OMFG Linda Ronstadt is like my mostest favorite female singer of alllllll time yousguys! Seriously awseome vocalist!! My BFF and I would cruise town blasting Heart Like A Wheel from the 8 track and trying to out sing each other. :cryingwlaughter: saw her 3 times in concert but I think her shows in smaller venues were the most enjoyable. Great accustics and her were meant to be a team! Kinda like some singerfella I know. Good times!

and even sang a lot of it during my stint as a nightclub singer!

Whaat?! Do tell :cocktail:

<snip>

Merle is travling with the Spam tour. :) Rick was also supposed to be joining the tour, seems to me in LA. Not sure if just there, or he is continuing on.

<snip>

Merle is travling with the Spam tour. :) Rick was also supposed to be joining the tour, seems to me in LA. Not sure if just there, or he is continuing on.

Thanks Annabear!

Sly and the Family Stone.. heee -- guess what I know about him. That his dad was a preacher and bishop at a local church in the denomination I grew up in. He was kinda taboo. heh.

HELLO from Ireland!

Just wanted to pitch in my 2 cents... (I had to skip a bunch of pages but I saw the Linda Ronstadt mention)

LOVE her standards, saw her concert a few years back when she did those on tour.

Having a great time in Ireland, walked a bunch thru a forest and saw an awesome waterfall today. I have pictures but won't be able to post till later. :)

I am able (thru the magic of international roaming) to send photos from my phone.

Here's where we were the first day - The Cliff of Moher on the West Coast, Co Clare.

http://twitpic.com/5bem7

And on the way north we stopped at this scenic overlook for Glancar Lake above Sligo.

http://twitpic.com/5fo8v

At our cousin's in No Ireland... the sun was out today - first day since we've been here!

TTFN! Going to dinner soon!

Sly and the Family Stone.. heee -- guess what I know about him. That his dad was a preacher and bishop at a local church in the denomination I grew up in. He was kinda taboo. heh.

I adored his music -- Higher - Dance to the Music - Stand - You Can Make It (If You Try) - TYFLMBMA - Hot Fun in the Summertime - I probably should stop before I name them all.

I'm just sorry that I saw Sly on the Grammy's or whatever music show he was on a couple of years back. I wish I could have remembered him as he was at Woodstock, or anywhere else during the 60's. He really was the Father of Funk.