# 64: A super smart, caring, determined, classy, easy-going, and genuinely good, likeable guy

ldyjocelyn

I've been busy today, baking banana and pumpkin bread! I always do this for gifts at my workplace, and I always do it after Christmas. My vacation is sadly coming to an end -- I have to be back at work on Monday.

I was also thinking today...it's been one year since Clay started tweeting! Can you believe it?

So I'm issuing a January challenge. ha ha. Ever since I hooked my Itunes to my phone I've been listening to music including a lot from Clay. We have a one earphone rule at work so we can listen to our music all day.

We probably have thousands of songs and performances that Clay has given us. But there are songs that I seem to always go back to over and over. So my question to everyone is this? What are your favorite (lucky) 13 Clay songs ever. Yes that's hard to whittle down but I'm really curious as to what people will say. But the important thing is to also say why. Maybe it's because he interacted with you during the song. Maybe because it reminds you of something or touched you in a deep way. Or maybe it has beat and easy to dance to as they used to say on Bandstand. I really want to know the whys and not just a list. I know it sounds like homework but isn't it a fun assignment? I can be from anything Clay has done, concerts, appearances, recordings.

Let's post our choices this month. Whenever you're done post it. I know some of us will be slow (me me me) but it will be fun to read the different lists throughout the month. What do you think? Is it an impossible task? ONLY 13? evilness.

• Like 1

:GM_FCA:

Woohoo! My Packers are on their way to S.F. I have actually been rooting for S.F. all year because I think they are a good team and like their young quarterback, but all bets are off on Saturday. Should be a good game though.

Have to think about the list..good idea.

Kim

So I'm issuing a January challenge. ha ha. Ever since I hooked my Itunes to my phone I've been listening to music including a lot from Clay. We have a one earphone rule at work so we can listen to our music all day.

We probably have thousands of songs and performances that Clay has given us. But there are songs that I seem to always go back to over and over. So my question to everyone is this? What are your favorite (lucky) 13 Clay songs ever. Yes that's hard to whittle down but I'm really curious as to what people will say. But the important thing is to also say why. Maybe it's because he interacted with you during the song. Maybe because it reminds you of something or touched you in a deep way. Or maybe it has beat and easy to dance to as they used to say on Bandstand. I really want to know the whys and not just a list. I know it sounds like homework but isn't it a fun assignment? I can be from anything Clay has done, concerts, appearances, recordings.

Let's post our choices this month. Whenever you're done post it. I know some of us will be slow (me me me) but it will be fun to read the different lists throughout the month. What do you think? Is it an impossible task? ONLY 13? evilness.

Here goes, it may not be perfect but I will try my best. Not in any particle order but will try my best from early to nearer to the present:

1. Go the Distance - Off one of his demo cd's. When I really started to get more into Clay I had never downloaded anything from a site. I had dial up and it was very slow. I had found a site that had some of the songs on and my hubby went out of his way to go on it at work and download the songs for me. I fell in love with many but I love this song and his voice on it.

2. I Survive You - I did not purchase MOAM till April 2004 but when it put it into the player I immediately loved this song. When he was on GMA in July I was so excited when he sang it. I so wish I had seen that tour or the IT tour for this song.

3. Measure of a Man- Everytime he sings this song it gives me chills. Many great performances of this song but love the Capitol 4th version and also the version he sang at the summer tour in 2007(Can't remember the name).

4. Solitaire - I went out and bought the single and played it over and over. Love his voice on it and when he sang it on AI the big note just was so great.

5. Mary Did You Know - Bought the NBC cd version first and fell in love with this song. It made me cry it was done so well. My hubby listened to it and to this day it is one of his favorite Christmas songs. He does it so well, and spoils it for anybody else who tries to cover.

6. Good News - I know this is not on a cd but I love all the live performances of this song. His voice is unreal in it and really looked forward to hearing it live. He did not disappoint me, it was gorgeous.

7. Without You - I do not care how many other artist have done this song I just love his version. Watching that night on Leno when he sang it for us for the first time was wonderful. Then during the summer tour he showed how great he can sing it live.

8. Broken Wings - There is just something about this song that does things to me. I love the singing and the poem mixed. I always wished that this would of been released as a single. Soooooo good.

9. All is Well - I think I have dowloaded more versions of this song live then anything. I love it and he sings it so well. My favorite was the night he was sick and it seemed it went the extras mile to pull those big notes out. Opening this year tour with it really made me happy.

10. Sacrifial Love - One of my favorites off of OMWH. His voice is so good and passionate as he is singing it. I even loved the version he sang at Golfing for Inclusion.

11. Forget I Ever Knew You - I bought the deluxe version so I could have the extra song and immediately feel in love with this song. That big long note toward the end just goes to the pit of my stomach.. Love it

12. Lover All Alone - I had a slow computer when this extra song came on I-tunes for ATDW so I could not dowload it. I am not sure when I actually heard it the first time but on the summer tour in 2007 it was just beautifull. You could not hear any other noise in the place just that beautifull voice with the cello. It was amazing and I then knew why everyone was so excited about it. I wish he would write more he has a way with words.

13. Bring Back My Love - Was at the Gala when I heard it in its entirely. The night before someone played me a few bars that hey had placed on their phone but it did not do the song justice. It was just gorgeous and one of my favorites. He has such a way with his voice and the notes. I want to hear this song live again. Hope he tours again.

• Like 1

Hi GBMIFAN...I love reading this. Thanks for listing the reasons why..that was most interesting to me.

Here goes, it may not be perfect but I will try my best. Not in any particle order but will try my best from early to nearer to the present:

1. Go the Distance - Off one of his demo cd's. When I really started to get more into Clay I had never downloaded anything from a site. I had dial up and it was very slow. I had found a site that had some of the songs on and my hubby went out of his way to go on it at work and download the songs for me. I fell in love with many but I love this song and his voice on it.

Very interesting choice! I so relate to having Clay accelerate my internate aptitude. I had been online for awhile -- first on Usenet News, then Prodigy and on and on. But really hadn't downloaded anything. Remember how slow dial up was? Now it takes a few seconds. I didn't try to download anything until the night of the first AI2 concert. Before that, people were burning and mailing out CD's. So I got all his demos on a CD.

2. I Survive You - I did not purchase MOAM till April 2004 but when it put it into the player I immediately loved this song. When he was on GMA in July I was so excited when he sang it. I so wish I had seen that tour or the IT tour for this song.

I loved how he sang this in concert. So dramatic. There are a few songs that Clay did in concert where many thought he was channeling emotions from some challenges in his own life. I personally thought he liked being dramatic. He did it with this song and your song number 4 (Solitaire). Solitaire was never one of my favorites but when he sang it live during the Not A Tour, I became a mad beliver.

3. Measure of a Man- Everytime he sings this song it gives me chills. Many great performances of this song but love the Capitol 4th version and also the version he sang at the summer tour in 2007(Can't remember the name).

Liked this song. I've had periods where I loved the song.

5. Mary Did You Know - Bought the NBC cd version first and fell in love with this song. It made me cry it was done so well. My hubby listened to it and to this day it is one of his favorite Christmas songs. He does it so well, and spoils it for anybody else who tries to cover.

When I was at the Atlanta JoyFul Noise tour in 2005 (I think, getting old). there was a man sitting across the ailse from me that saw Clay sing this on Letterman or somewhere. And he bought a ticket hoping he would hear him sing it live. And when he did, the man sobbed almost through the song. It's one that really touches a lot of people.

6. Good News - I know this is not on a cd but I love all the live performances of this song. His voice is unreal in it and really looked forward to hearing it live. He did not disappoint me, it was gorgeous.

So I remember the opening of the Joyful Noise tour and so many people said this song was like a dirge and not the way to end the show. But I have to say this song is also on my list. This song gives me a lot of comfort when I'm down. It can really lift me. I wish I had a recorded version (mostly meaning without audience feedback) but I also don'g think it would sound the same on a recording.

7. Without You - I do not care how many other artist have done this song I just love his version. Watching that night on Leno when he sang it for us for the first time was wonderful. Then during the summer tour he showed how great he can sing it live.

I hear this song a lot when I go shopping. But usually by another artist.

8. Broken Wings - There is just something about this song that does things to me. I love the singing and the poem mixed. I always wished that this would of been released as a single. Soooooo good.

Agreed. Not sure if it's going to make my list but damn close. I love it.

12. Lover All Alone - I had a slow computer when this extra song came on I-tunes for ATDW so I could not dowload it. I am not sure when I actually heard it the first time but on the summer tour in 2007 it was just beautifull. You could not hear any other noise in the place just that beautifull voice with the cello. It was amazing and I then knew why everyone was so excited about it. I wish he would write more he has a way with words.

I expect to see this on a lot of lists! It's a fantastic song!

Thanks That was fun!

Hi GBMIFAN...I love reading this. Thanks for listing the reasons why..that was most interesting to me.

So I remember the opening of the Joyful Noise tour and so many people said this song was like a dirge and not the way to end the show. But I have to say this song is also on my list. This song gives me a lot of comfort when I'm down. It can really lift me. I wish I had a recorded version (mostly meaning without audience feedback) but I also don'g think it would sound the same on a recording.

I have a version from Wallingford that only has applause at the beginning and end... I wish I knew who's recording it was, but it's really good. :)

I'm realizing just how hard this will become to pick songs when I get around to it!

I had to drive back and forth to Toronto this weekend, so I listened to a lot of Clay stuff on my iPod. I love mostly the live stuff (which I know not everyone does). I love this challenge, couchie, and I just happen to have my iPod with me at work today. So I will try to compile my list. I will go back and read everyone else's once I am done because I don't want to be swayed. ;)

This was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I must have revised it 15 times and I'm still not sure I'm 100% happy with it after about #6.

1. Right Here Waiting

My favourite Clay song, bar none. Started loving it on A Thousand Different Ways and sobbed my way through it during the gala of 2008. Also love the version he sang at the David Foster thing prior to ATDW being released.

2. Invisible

Quintessential Clay. The first few notes make the hair on the back of my neck stand up, every time. I loved it in the early years in concert, and I was thrilled when he sang it in Washington at the gala again in 2012. :)

3. Both Sides Now

I was in awe of this performance at the gala in 2010. I have watched it/listened to it hundereds upon hundreds of times since. Strangely, it's not a song I really thought much about prior to Clay singing it. I mean, I knew it, I liked it ok, but it never affected me the way it does when he sings it. Every lyric.

4. Not Supposed To Love You Anymore

I love the demos. This is my favourite one. I wish he'd sing it live.

5. Everything I Don't Need

OMG, my favourite song on On My Way Here. My favourite performance from the gala 2008, when he seemed a bit unsure of himself until the "well now" or "well well" (ha ha) part and then we all screamed and he just lit up. I love to watch that clack, or even just listen to it because it makes me grin that crazy grin every time, remembering.

6. Solitaire

This was the song that was my fall off the couch moment during AI2. The moment when I was hooked for life. I remember the first time I heard the recorded version, sitting in a new friend's van in the parking lot of the arena in Winston-Salem, NC before the IT concert. It hit me like an airplane taking off!

7. Oh Holy Night

All my life I'd been searching for a good recorded version of this song. I first heard it as a little girl at a Christmas concert in school, sung by my babysitter. When MCWL was released I was so overjoyed to see this in the track listing! My favourite live version of it is an obscure one...Minneapolis JNT 2005. At the end, he goes up. It's beautiful. As far as I know, he's never sung it that way again.

8. All Is Well

I was in Merrillville the night he hit the note the first time. Nuff said. ldyj knows what I'm talking about.

9. Lover All Alone

The lyrics are enough to kill me, knowing that he wrote them, but the performance in Canandaigua in 2007 in the rain was perfection.

10. The Real Me

Again, the lyrics are the reason for this one. It just seems so personal (whether or not it really is). And when he sang it in Washington at the gala in 2012 and added the extra line at the end, it was so special.

11. This Is The Night

Another of my favourite moments (although bittersweet to watch now) from AI2, when he sang this and you could see the raw excitement in his eyes. He generally seems to be able to keep his nervousness or emotions in check when he performs. This is another one that just defines him, it's where he came from, and it's special when he sings it now.

12. I Survived You

This one also seems quite an emotional song for him, but that's probably me projecting stuff onto him. It was quite something to watch him perform at the Dorton Arena on the NAT in 2004. He put so much emotion into it! Still wish I could have been at the gala in 2011 when he performed it again.

8. All Is Well

I was in Merrillville the night he hit the note the first time. Nuff said. ldyj knows what I'm talking about

I've been making notes for my songs as I think of them, but this is on my list. Here's what I wrote:

All is Well -- Merrillville. ‘Nuff said

Me thinks that great minds think alike.

And you owe us one more song -- I only see 12 on your list!

I'm up to 12 on my list, but, like you, I might do some revising.

I was driving home from work yesterday, and a version of Unchained Melody came on, from the Jukebox Tour. And I went "D'oh!"

13. Unchained Melody

How can I not include this performance from the OMG concert in Raleigh???? I've always loved Clay's versions of UM through the years, but when he blew us away that night, and was so proud of having his own version to sing going forward, it was perfect. And that note! It really didn't translate on the DVD (and they didn't use the same audio anyways) so you just had to be there!

gbmifan, so many on your list came this close to making my list, too!

My list:

What Kind of Fool Am I

This is my favorite song from T&T. I just think it is so perfect for his voice and every time I hear it, I can see him standing on a Broadway stage singing it. Plus he was sitting about two feet in front of me in Waukegan when he sang the song and that just sealed the deal for me.

Welcome to our World

I fell in love with this song the first time I ever heard him sing it; he sang it so tenderly and with such emotion. Of course then we found out later that was the time that he knew that Parker was on the way and it made sense why it had such meaning for him.

Oh Girl

One of my favorite songs from the 70’s..I remember singing along to the radio in my room to this song..it is just one of those songs that you have to belt out and really get in to. Clay sang this on Hometown Connection. I made a CD once of favorite songs and this was the first one. It is on youtube. His rendition is just as good as the Chi-lites and was the first time I realized what a powerful voice he has and he was only 19-20 when he sang it.

I Can’t Make you Love Me

He sang a partial version early on in the JBT and it was just wonderful and then as the tour progressed he added a full version. For some reason this was the song that inspired people to yell out “I love you” Clay during the song so it ended up with a long piano introduction so people could get out their professions of love before he began singing. I remember at the Indy JBT shushing a couple of young girls who were yelling out during the song. It is such a powerful love song and he does a wonderful job with it.

To Love Somebody/Grease

The night I totally believed that he would win the show..there was no way he couldn’t. Absolutely showed his versatility and sexiness and I was thrilled that he finally let himself go a bit. The hip shake was so darn cute!

Everything I Don’t Need

Favorite song from OMWH..my fondest wish is to hear him sing it live someday.

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me

Another Demo song, but one of my favorites..better than the original..just a fun song.

Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me

The first time I saw Clay on AI…was finishing washing the dishes and walked into the living room to see what the kids were watching and he was being introduced. I was blown away and from there on, Tuesday night was Clay night.

All Is Well

I was also in Merrillville..couldn’t here a pin drop and then he hit t he final note and the place erupted..still gives me goosebumps.

Those Magic Changes

Played this to death when the clack first surfaced..totally an “OMG” moment for me.

Bring Back My Love

Loved it from day one..just so Clay..sorry it didn’t get more radio play.

Solitaire

AI performance…I remember sitting on the floor in front of my TV and shushing everyone so I could hear him sing..it just blew me away.

Oh Beautiful Star of Bethlehem

Such a beautiful tribute to his Papa and just a moment I will never forget. I play this song often

Broke down and put together my list this morning. Going back to some of these songs brings out the memories I have attached to them which made some harder to leave behind!

1. Invisible

This is the song that started it all for me. I didn't jump on the bandwagon until January of 2004. Back then I was listening to music totally opposite to this, alt rock bands like Trapt, A.F.I. and Story of the Year. An artsy online friend of mine was a huge fan and eventually made me download this song.... it was poppy and catchy...and somehow I loved it. Didn't help that Clay was too cute to ignore. *g*

2. I Survived You

This song also from the first time I heard it. I don't know why I loved it, but I did...and then there was the performance in Clio. Ho. Lee. Crap. Top favorite from that night out.

ETA: Just listened to the Clio version again, GOOSEBUMPS!! Every time!

3. Back For More, GMA version

I mourn this song. I loved it from day one, loved all the Clack of it. Cheesy be damned, I say we lost a treasure.

4. Broken Wings

Haunting, beautiful. The poetry in it made it moreso. And I have a bias towards loving it because he said he tried to mimic Amy Lee's sound. He didn't quite succeed (not enough screaming guitars, unless he was going for "My Immortal") but he was close.

5. Unchained Melody, David Foster Gala version

"I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED" ; Need I say more?

6. Listen w/ Quiana, Sterling Heights

He was less than 10 feet from me, with one of my best friends next to me. We knew it would be special from the moment they started talking about it. It holds a very special place in my heart, and Clay and Quiana were effing fantastic to boot!

7. Everything I Don't Need

Pure emotion. Clay never sounds better than when he sings with it and this one's chock full!!

8. Where I Draw The Line

Again, seems like he has a lot of emotion in this one. I could listen to it on repeat for a full day and not get sick of it.

9. Sacrificial Love

I don't normally gravitate to slower songs but the pain in the lyrics and the beauty and simplicity of the music latched onto me and I have loved it since.

10. Forget I Ever Knew You

I liked the song from the girl's demo we heard ages ago, and I was so happy to see it made at least one version of OMWH's cut. I saved it for last because I just knew once I listened I wouldn't be going back. LOL I love the progression of the song, I love the way it was arranged, I love Clay's voice on it, I just love EVERYTHING about this song. It's another song I could listen to for a full day and not get sick of it!

And on a career standpoint, this was out of Clay's lane and I think it would have made an awesome radio single to re-introduce him.

11. Celebrate Me Home

I think I ended up loving this song from the Clack more than anything... I really just loved the snow falling on stage and how pretty it was, Clay's singing and occasional super hot growls made it even more worth it. Now I can't go a Christmas season without listening to it and I wish he would sing it again!

12. All Is Well

Again I think it's the song's progression on this one for me that I love, Clay's voice quiet in the beginning to a full on glory note at the end. Another one I can't go a Christmas season without listening to.

13. Hallelujah w/ Quiana, NIP Gala 2011

Okay so I do have this cliché thing where I tend to love the last thing someone puts out but this one is different. I have never liked this song by anyone. I found it boring and confusing and could fall asleep to it (yes, even to K.D. Lang's who's voice is amazing but doesn't capture me, and I watched her performance of this at the Winter Olympics). Last year when everyone raved, I rolled my eyes. I just didn't see how, even with Clay singing it, that I could like it. Then we got the leak. I have changed my mind on this one SOLELY due to Clay. It is RARE for me to change my mind on a song and this is a HUGE exception. I can't put my finger on why I love this version, but I do (the harmonies? the arrangement? just the vocals?). In fact, it was one of the first songs that came to mind when Couchie suggested this challenge and it is a major thing for me to have included this.