#11 I love me some Clay Aiken! He (soft) rocks *g*

Ansamcw

Next thread title poll  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the next main thread title

• A big MWAH! and muchos gracias to a globe-trotting, lazy-ass, dog-loving, soft-rocking dude!
    • Clay is Clay. His instrument is undefinable
    • Indeed they are, my child. Clown feet." (Make me laugh, clown.'
    • *moan* *whimper* *thud*
    • An Evening With His Royal Highness of Fantasy Fodder. Coming to a venue near you soon.
    • Refresh, read, click the next tab; Refresh, read, click the next tab; lather, rinse, repeat. Insert random EEE's. Yeap, it's cellcert time again!
    • Aw, that man can blog me any ole time!
    • He's a unique treasure, no doubt. A pain in the ass sometimes, I'm sure. A blessing, plain and simple and one hawt man
    • Yes, I live under a rock....with Clay Aiken.

I am going to preface what I am about to say with this. I do not want Clay's next album to be covers. I do want it filled with original Clay Aiken songs.

That said - all the stuff I read on the boards about no "Moon River", no symphonies, no covers, appeal to the desired under-30 crowd as stated by marketing geniuses, etc., is said with an apparent presumption that the new original songs will be rockin' originals.

What if Clay's next album is all orginals, but those originals are songs in the vein of "Moon River", with lots of symphonic arrangements?

I am not saying that is my preference, but think about it. Clay seems to love singing with a symphony (as he himself has said). He seems to love pretty songs. He seems to love singer's songs, as he has put it. What if his next album, all orginals, is more in the vein style and sound-wise of ATDW or "Moon River"?

How will the pundits in this fandom spin that?

I am going to preface what I am about to say with this. I do not want Clay's next album to be covers. I do want it filled with original Clay Aiken songs.

That said - all the stuff I read on the boards about no "Moon River", no symphonies, no covers, appeal to the desired under-30 crowd as stated by marketing geniuses, etc., is said with an apparent presumption that the new original songs will be rockin' originals.

What if Clay's next album is all orginals, but those originals are songs in the vein of "Moon River", with lots of symphonic arrangements?

I am not saying that is my preference, but think about it. Clay seems to love singing with a symphony (as he himself has said). He seems to love pretty songs. He seems to love singer's songs, as he has put it. What if his next album, all orginals, is more in the vein style and sound-wise of ATDW or "Moon River"?

I think Clay has been telling us exactly who he is for four + years now and his words and deeds carry little or no weight with some people (not as much as the twinkle in his eye at least). So I doubt that a whole CD of 'Moon Rivers' would get it through their heads either. Oh if only they'd go away quietly though.

And my first Clay photo in Photobucket...

th_CLAYCYANEDITED.jpg

(click)

A screenshot from The Way video. Some people didn't like that vid, but I thought Clay looked extremely hawt in it. When he leaned over against the building on the dark street.... :Thud:

:::happy sigh:::

I too loved the video, or at least the way Clay looked in it. Lord in heaven, I almost fainted the first time I saw that last eyef***. And yes, I think that people were really expecting Clay to have a hawt and heavy love scene in that video, which of course didn't happen. LTS really gave us some good background information on that.

play, I loved seeing your "home away from home." I'm with KAndre, I'm sure we could all fit in there....kinda like that 60's craze of stuffing people into a Volkswagon bug....

I also wonder how this concert will start. I don't think we will get any elaborate staging....what if we are treated with a full symphony version of .....invisible..lol

He's never opened a concert with Invisible, has he? That could be quite funny, actually. I'm still thinking it will be RHW though, just as he did for the Foster gala...with those long feet striding in. Guh.

my mom just called me...

the pins are in the house!!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Cannot wait!

{{{{{{{{muski}}}}}}}} My husband and I have been lucky in the fact that we've been in our house 8 years now, and approximately 1 major appliance has broken each year. At least they are spread out! Hee.

IMO, Clay has talent. It doesn't matter if he sings ballads or rocks it out. He will find an audience for whatever he offers. Talent is what sustains a long term career, and there will always be an audience for talent. Whether it is old or young or a mixture. Whether it is an orchestra backing you up or a bass guitar and drums or a combination of both. That's my 2 cents.

Looking forward to whatever Clay has in store for us. I expect I will have a great time and be surprised by his creativity. I always expected he would find a way to bring some up tempo to this tour, and I am looking forward to seeing what it is. Bring it on you master of ceremonies you!!!

:clap::clap:

Bravo!

I personally find the ageism in this fandom to be totally frustrating. IMO, he doesn't need younger fans to expand his fan base, he just needs FANS. And as far as I know, my money (as an almost middle-aged person *g*) is as good as a 25 year old's. Maybe even better, because I think older audiences tend to stay loyal. I kind of believe that those who think he needs younger fans are hoping that the media will pick up on it, therefore relieving them of the fandom focus of older women that the media likes to portray. Sure, that's ageism too, because there are a good number of younger people going to Clay's shows. I think though that those within the fandom proclaiming that he needs younger fans maybe should look in a mirror sometime. JMO and all that crap.

Claygasm wrote:

I'm honestly not sure if I even want to know...but ITA with your entire post.

Meanwhile, I'm going to my happy place with the fact that in 2 weeks, I'll be in HOUSTON and then I'll be seeing CLAY!!!!

:Tour3: :TourExcite: :Tour3: :TourExcite: :Tour3: :TourExcite:

:Thud:

I want to begin by saying EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...13 Days 10 Hours 18 Minutes!

Hehe, I totally stole that from Claymaniacs. They have a ticker at the top of the page and I got a humongous kick outta that. can you tell?

play that was so funny. I'd like to hug Clay and make him swell too. You know if I'm being honest here, hee, I looked at Treenuts screen name and found it sort of odd, since Clay is allergic to Tree nuts, that a fan would choose that for a screen name. I'm sure there is a good story to be heard about it. LOL

Not really except that I find "forbidden" things quite snesual and I love when he tells his "nuts" story(s). ;)

Clazorback, I so agree, Clay's passion IS on fire when he sings about his god. He erm...."comes alive" if ya get ma drift

Oh to be sure, check out clack of Red Bank TFN and banter, I think it's jojoct's?

Anywhooo, Oh dear Mary & Joseph.....as the camera pulls out just watch that boy's pride swell (so to speak).

I am sooo NOT going to heaven

Now this is going to make my day, I'm sure. :eusa_whistle: Thanks for the reminder.

Did you get a chance to watch this yet? Tell me...was it good for you?

:hubbahubba:

And then the total contrast to that - "Jesse's so shyyyyyy. It's sad really." I can't tell if he's flirting with the audience or Jesse there ;)

(j/k)

Hee treenuts I should say you are truly fitting in with this smutty crew...

Yep, Treenuts is a bonafide smutter...............Welcome

WHY THANK YOU!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I hate it when real life interrupts my Clay high.

Dealing with leaking water heaters and damaged floors today, women. After I give a half day at the office.

Anybody have an extra $40,000 or so? :scream:

(((muski)))

I am absolutely getting ramped up for this tour. I got my tourpass badge from the CB today in the mail, I got a shipped confirmation email from CafePress on the black tees (faster than promised, woot!) I have all my tickets safely tucked away. I AM READY!!!!!!!!!!

What will he sing? How will he open the show? Will he do I Wanna Know What Love Is (pretty please?) with A or Q? Will Suzie surprise us anywhere along the way???? I am not demanding, but I reallllllllllllllllllllly want him to sing LAA (and since I'm beggin', on a stool, on a darkened stage, just him and a spotlight, please). Dun dun dunhhhhh... as I typed that, LAA came up on my player. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!1!!!11! it's a sign! *sticks out tongue at luckiest1* I AM READY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for the boards... meh. The portion of the online fandom that has become so inbred, so determined to mold Clay into their vision that they've lost site (or maybe never had it?) of who he is and what HE is telling us, what HE is showing us. Mehhh. I feel sorry for those who can't (won't) appreciate the beauty of ATDW, who can only feel disappointment for some 'might have been' instead of celebrating what is. Because in my opinion, what is, is glorious and worthy and wonderful. And in four weeks from yesterday, I will experience that glory from the fourth row in Syracuse. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!1!!!!!!11! I AM READY!

WORD!

It's scary really, to READ MY THOUGHTS coming from someone else :P

"THINGS THAT GO BUMP IN THE NIGHT" BWAH :Thud:

edited to clean up the quotes. She did pretty good, actually, with that many quotes...ldyj

YUP...another round in the gerbil wheel on marketing of Clay Aiken. as far as I can see...he is doing things on his own terms, on his own time table...to hell with what the marketing surveys and book says. Its not always about the bottom line.

I guess it depends if you are looking at it from a fan's standpoint or a marketer's standpoint...and honestly....why would 99.9% of fans look at it from anything other than a fan's point of view? Why should they? I just think Clay has a goal in mind...to be happy and successful enough to be able to continue to do what he enjoys. I don't think he cares so much about bottom lines and demographics. I'm sure he has people employed who probably do, but ultimately, he's the one who makes the final decisions. Thank God.

I sincerely hope that said pundits, if they are once again disappointed in whatever direction the next album takes (whatever that may be), disappear quietly into the night, never to be heard from again. So the rest of us can do what we do best - celebrate and EEEEEE! and enjoy being fans of Clay Aiken. :DoClay:

cindilu2, I loved your little baseball game scenario. :cryingwlaughter:

ldyjocelyn, RHW and those boots as the opening number....from your lips to God's ears.

Edited by luckiest1

Then we geeked out on "Dirty Dancing" one night, "Harry Potter" with Spanish subtitles... :lilredani: and "The Last Unicorn"...
OMG, The Last Unicorn is DD's and my favorite movie to watch together. Brilliant casting, great story. Nice music too, though I don't think they ever came out with a soundtrack CD. Who was it who did the songs?

I know I'm a Pollyanna, but I'm enjoying the discussions on marketing and what Clay sings and what people want to hear in two weeks (TWO WEEKS!!!!) and such. Clay will do what Clay can to make the music he wants. That'll work fine for me. I'm just sorry that the discussions are making some people unhappy. Maybe serenity lies is just scrolling through, as Playbiller suggests.

artquest - I found this on Amazon The Last Unicorn and this on imdb.com.

I can't speak for others, but for me it's become less a discussion and more a directive. *shrug* I am online to celebrate and enjoy Clay, not to fix him. (Though I would consider tying his shoelaces. Not the same thing?) :lilredani:

Edited by cindilu2

I can't speak for others, but for me it's become less a discussion and more a directive. *shrug* I am online to celebrate and enjoy Clay, not to fix him. (Though I would consider tying his shoelaces. Not the same thing?) :lilredani:

I agree with this. A directive and/or extrapolation based on opinions presented as facts and based on nothing but wishful thinking.

Anyone who knows me knows I love a lively discussion. But IMO this has just left the realm of discussion. Anyone who dares to disagree with some posters are treated as if they are ignorant and don't know what they are talking about. Plus, its the same "discussion" over and over and over and over and over again. Its just gets tiresome.

The other thing that bothers me is instead of rejoicing in the tour we are about to experience, we get the same rehashing of the RCA did Clay wrong "discussion" and the covers suck "discussion" etc. I would be much happier with a discussion that focused on the tour - not as a directive, to use cindilu2's word, but just as a discussion - you know, where opinions and ideas are exchanged for fun.

I just wish I was reading more eeeeeeeeeeeing about the tour, talk of how he may make his entrance, what songs he may sing, how much banter there may be, how "family friendly" it may or may not be, will he and Angela do another grinding dance, how much we'll see Waldo - you know, important stuff like that!

:Tour3: :DoClay:

Oh for the love of god! My last post attempt at "quotes" was completely fu%$@ up! argh

So I want to just pipe in on the music thing. Ya know, that thing that the fans are suppose to be most interested in. Well anyway, I find myself thinking long and hard and sooo agonizing over what his next CD will sound like and what his next concert will look/sound like and and and.....

Only SO NOT! wtf? ITA that some of this fandom (some) is lost in some hot a/c radio world that quite frankly is never going to exist for our guy if were completely honest with ourselves. So who gives a rats ass anyway. Few folks listen continuously to radio anymore. Unless they are rap, talk radio or college stations, they are listening to CDs and ipods and the net! That's a fact jack and there's no goin' back sfar as I can tell. Sooooo....

Let the man record, perform, promote. produce whatevah he desires. I trust him to know his own talent and to also listen and take under consideration that which he feels comfortable & good about. That's it. That's all I'm gonna do. If I felt a need to angst over that part of his career then I would be on the payroll Not the other way around.

As Ethel would say - :allgood:

With that said.....I read several thoughts on this up thread and just wish to echo:

CLAY

STOOL

CROTCH

SPOTLIGHT

LAA

ahhhhhhh..... :Tour3:

OMG, OMG, Thank you so much!

Artquest gives cindilu2 a big ol' squishy hug and scurries off to Amazon to get the CD for DD

OMG! Me, too! My older daughter, whose 16th birthday is in 3 weeks absolutely ADORES this movie! When she and her buddies get together for their bi-monthly "Movie Night", it's always in the stack of "maybes" they'll watch....Great birthday present! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Couchie--if you're ready, let's do the Jazzercize thing...now the week pass would mean you need to be ready to do next Mon., Tues. and Wed, too---to get the money's worth, don't you know. Of course, you could also go on Sat and Sun but you'd need to go without me since I'll be at Carrie's softball tournament...still interested? :lilredani:

Let the man record, perform, promote. produce whatevah he desires. I trust him to know his own talent and to also listen and take under consideration that which he feels comfortable & good about. That's it. That's all I'm gonna do. If I felt a need to angst over that part of his career then I would be on the payroll Not the other way around.

Hee, WORD! Oh, and btw, loved your explanation for your screen name.

I just wish I was reading more eeeeeeeeeeeing about the tour, talk of how he may make his entrance, what songs he may sing, how much banter there may be, how "family friendly" it may or may not be, will he and Angela do another grinding dance, how much we'll see Waldo - you know, important stuff like that!

:Tour3: :DoClay:

Well, you are definitely in the right place for that! Expectations? Pfffft. Best case scenario? In bold.

Entrance? I vote for RHW and boots. *:F_05BL17blowkiss: to ldyjocelyn*

Songs? How many hours do I have? Everything from ATDW including bonus tracks, some MOAM including Invisible, some demos including INSTLYA, some AI2 including DLTSGDOM, some never before heard stuff or covers to knock our socks off (remember when 'covers' wasn't a dirty word? :cryingwlaughter: )

Banter? I can't even imagine. Lots and lots would be good.

Family Friendly? I'm sure, but in the same way modern animated movies are family friendly - the risque stuff flies right over the kids' heads! :lol:

Clangela grinding? Let it be so.

Waldo? Ewwww, pass. (I know, sacreligious to say that here!)

:Tour3: :TourExcite: :Tour3:

Edited by luckiest1

Oh I love all sorts of discussion and don't mind a good marketing one once in a while. I do think selling shoes and selling music which is also selling image is not in any way the same thing. So I personally think most of the marketing talk is just a meaningless academic exercise espeically when it comes to Clay. Mostly becuase we don't know his point of view or what he wants or what he is willing to do, nor do we know what it feels like to be on the inside of what he's had to face, nor do we have a single solitary connection that makes all those procouncements of if only he had competent marketers even feasible. Of course doesn't stop me from adding my own pie in the sky opinion which is also pretty meaningless. :cryingwlaughter:

I do think if Clay appeals to the baby boomers the focus should be on that. Hey we have mamas here. What do YOUR kids think of Clay on AI. What do they think of him now. And what do the kids around them think of him. I think we need to focus on the 4 year olds like I do. I'm building a great little Claymate...

speaking of which...kinda sad yet an ironic slice of life... when I took my mom to the hosptial the other day, my 9 year old cousin with with me. My mom was keeping 3 kids that day. Well, my cousin hadn't been at a hosptial since she her grandpop last year. Many of you will remember I lost a cousin who was only 45 years old to a heart attack. He died in that hospital and it brought back such horrible memories for my cousin. She hugged my mom and begged her not to die. Well my cousin's name was Clayton and when my cousin was trying to explain to the younger kids about her grandad she used the name Clayton becaues they knew him as "uncle clayton." Well my 4 year old neice turned to me and said "the one you like to listen to auntie?" Yikes...but it brought a tiny smile. I had to explain that one.

Clayzor... Word on your post. I'm over 40 and my ipod is busting at the Gigabytes and other than my scant record collection that I added which is mostly old school R&B oldies and gospel and my Clay stuff (which of course is also a lot of downloaded free tour clack) I have not spent one dime on anybody. Sorry. I may be awful but I torrent everything. Hell I don't even have use for limewire anymore. One song at a time is just laughable to me. :cryingwlaughter:

*waves franticly to artquest and muski*

It did say there were only four copies in stock. RUN!!!

Only SO NOT! wtf? ITA that some of this fandom (some) is lost in some hot a/c radio world that quite frankly is never going to exist for our guy if were completely honest with ourselves. So who gives a rats ass anyway. Few folks listen continuously to radio anymore. Unless they are rap, talk radio or college stations, they are listening to CDs and ipods and the net! That's a fact jack and there's no goin' back sfar as I can tell. Sooooo....

A hunka hunka burnin' WORD to treenuts for this one. :clap:

...and now I will stop post ho'ing and do some work!

Oh I don't mind marketing discussions. I am really fascinated by them...when they are really discussions and not a pseudo experts attempt at viral marketing of what they think Clay ought to do with his career. Its just that some so called marketing discussions are more propaganda for a certain way of thinking in the fandom because nothing new is really added to that gerbil wheel.

When I read the terms...Clay should...he must...it give me the heebie jeebies because it tells me that expectations are once again going out of control...experience tells me that this is followed by a lot of dissatisfaction and really pissy posts that ends up creating doom and gloom in the fandom. I don't really care about the effect on Clay cos I know Clay is smart enough to just ignore things that irritates him. I care because this feeling of dissatisfaction or fear that Clay will be a flop because he is doing symphonies and not attracting the "right" market...does get spread to the rest of the fandom...and next thing you know it dominates the boards and affects the excitement for the tour. Just sick and tired of it...cos at times I see it as only feeding certain people's ego...nothing more.

Oh yeah...I know where my scroll button is...I even know when to just close the damn window and leave certain boards because I know what is to come, someone is just going to use the opportunity to give everyone a marketing lesson. Someone just emailed me this ...what some fans are not getting is that they want Clay to sing different stuff to a different audience - Real Clay does not exist for them...and I agree. Some fans seem to be hanging on until Clay will become the Clay they think he should be. They are missing out on simply enjoying the man that is right in front of them.

Treenuts...I fixed the quotes on your post. You just left out a closing tag. I like the reason for your name. makes sense somehow.

Some fans seem to be hanging on until Clay will become the Clay they think he should be. They are missing out on simply enjoying the man that is right in front of them.

I wish we could shorten this enough to make it a thread title. Truer words have never been spoken.

ETA: And look how fast the pages are flying by on this thread! Wheeee!

Edited by luckiest1

I care because this feeling of dissatisfaction or fear that Clay will be a flop because he is doing symphonies and not attracting the "right" market...does get spread to the rest of the fandom...and next thing you know it dominates the boards and affects the excitement for the tour. Just sick and tired of it...cos at times I see it as only feeding certain people's ego...nothing more.

...what some fans are not getting is that they want Clay to sing different stuff to a different audience - Real Clay does not exist for them...and I agree. Some fans seem to be hanging on until Clay will become the Clay they think he should be. They are missing out on simply enjoying the man that is right in front of them.

Treenuts...I fixed the quotes on your post. You just left out a closing tag. I like the reason for your name. makes sense somehow.

Thanks, Ansa! :)

And I wanted to add to what your saying about concern over symphonies and what not spreading out there. I think for the most part what I see on line among the under 25 fans is they are not yammering about the song/music choices so much as the older fans. Some, but not nearly as much. I don't think some folks give these fans credit for varying taste and appreciation for what appeals to them individually. I have read some pretty profound thoughts and responses from these so called younger fans....many under 21!! I am impressed as hell with many of them and their ability to discern and vocalize an array of feelings on this subject. All of which leaves feeling me PDG about Clay's younger fan base. They are one intelligent and emotionally grounded group for the most part. And they don't seem too young to appreciate the uhm....finer aspects of him either. Which kinda blows me away since my own daughter is 14 and I KNOW she KNOWS! She watched the "Candy Man" video posted from someone at the shed and she was OMGing before I could zap that baby off the screen. Now my husband thinks I'm a bad influence. But I could just say "I'm in the process of clayversion".

What?

bad mommy

wow rckncrllmom....it took me a bit to figure out where that picture came from...is it from that big srcubs picture with Clay and the cast???

sigh...it takes me so long to post...I see there are other posts making so much sense. WORD to treenuts and Couchie.

About your question...what do my girls think about Clay. Its complicated...I think my preoccupation with Clay kinda works against him with my girls. I do know that the AI5 appearance did open up a lot of interest in him. Lots of my girls friends thought he was really cute. BUT..when I look at the music my girls and their friends listen too, I think it will be tough to get them interested in Clay's music. They like punk, pop/rock, hip hop, dance music and a bit of country/pop. I asked my girls to listen to TRD and BFM...they thought it still sounded old. They liked it but just not going on their playlist. So really...focusing on the target market is the wrong way to go. I think Clay should simply d the music that truly moves him ...and then try to find all kinds of ways to get it heard. Radio is just one way...there is TV, movies and the internet and satellite radio...lots of option for TC to use. BUT the starting point should be Clay.

wow rckncrllmom....it took me a bit to figure out where that picture came from...is it from that big srcubs picture with Clay and the cast???

sigh...it takes me so long to post...I see there are other posts making so much sense. WORD to treenuts and Couchie.

About your question...what do my girls think about Clay. Its complicated...I think my preoccupation with Clay kinda works against him with my girls. I do know that the AI5 appearance did open up a lot of interest in him. Lots of my girls friends thought he was really cute. BUT..when I look at the music my girls and their friends listen too, I think it will be tough to get them interested in Clay's music. They like punk, pop/rock, hip hop, dance music and a bit of country/pop. I asked my girls to listen to TRD and BFM...they thought it still sounded old. They liked it but just not going on their playlist. So really...focusing on the target market is the wrong way to go. I think Clay should simply d the music that truly moves him ...and then try to find all kinds of ways to get it heard. Radio is just one way...there is TV, movies and the internet and satellite radio...lots of option for TC to use. BUT the starting point should be Clay.

yup that is where it is from

For artquest, cindilu, and muski and anyone else who wants to geek out on "The Last Unicorn," there are a whole sh*tload of videos on YouTube for you!!

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=la...p;search=Search

I was going to say we ordered the CD and movie from Amazon two days ago...and it was America who sang the songs. (except one that Mia Farrow sang) and........

If you go to the Amazon page, scroll down, and click on the "Music Sampler" you can listen to a few seconds of each song. There are a lot of instrumentals too.

And BTW - there were only 4 in stock when we ordered 2 the other night!!

luckiest - that Paul Page is high-tech flash or something - so maybe that's why it won't play at work. Hope you can get it at home! Make sure to ask him to tell a joke!!

OT: Sure can't wait to see that Clay guy and hear him sing "Because You Loved Me" to meeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

:DoClay: :F_05BL17blowkiss: :RedGuy::Thud: :Tour3: :TourExcite: :lilredani: