#11 I love me some Clay Aiken! He (soft) rocks *g*

Ansamcw

Next thread title poll  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the next main thread title

• A big MWAH! and muchos gracias to a globe-trotting, lazy-ass, dog-loving, soft-rocking dude!
    • Clay is Clay. His instrument is undefinable
    • Indeed they are, my child. Clown feet." (Make me laugh, clown.'
    • *moan* *whimper* *thud*
    • An Evening With His Royal Highness of Fantasy Fodder. Coming to a venue near you soon.
    • Refresh, read, click the next tab; Refresh, read, click the next tab; lather, rinse, repeat. Insert random EEE's. Yeap, it's cellcert time again!
    • Aw, that man can blog me any ole time!
    • He's a unique treasure, no doubt. A pain in the ass sometimes, I'm sure. A blessing, plain and simple and one hawt man
    • Yes, I live under a rock....with Clay Aiken.

For artquest, cindilu, and muski and anyone else who wants to geek out on "The Last Unicorn," there are a whole sh*tload of videos on YouTube for you!!

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=la...p;search=Search

I was going to say we ordered the CD and movie from Amazon two days ago...and it was America who sang the songs. (except one that Mia Farrow sang) and........

If you go to the Amazon page, scroll down, and click on the "Music Sampler" you can listen to a few seconds of each song. There are a lot of instrumentals too.

And BTW - there were only 4 in stock when we ordered 2 the other night!!

OK, now you've all peaked my interest. America? I love America! What is this movie - is it animated?

oh, rocknrllmom! That's Kenny! Clay! and he's sooooo purdy.....

Gots to get the Last Unicorn CD for MuskiJr. I also went to a poster website and ordered a Last Unicorn poster to go with it! :medium-smiley-070:

Ok...just got a call from my hubby. Yikes. The restoration company said that it could take a week to clean out and dry the moldy, damaged flooring and walls---we might actually have to 'vacate the premises'!!!!! Uh...like...where? And what about Shadow? HOly shit.

The replacement of the water heater itself is a little over a thousand...the clean up is more like $2,000! THEN we have to get a contractor to rebuild the flooring, drywall, etc.....

Meanwhile...we have no hot water. That means finding a place to shower, taking laundry to the laundermat, no using the dishwasher...

holyshit.holyshit.

:scream:

runforthehills-1.gif

Claygasm:

I think Clay has been telling us exactly who he is for four + years now and his words and deeds carry little or no weight with some people (not as much as the twinkle in his eye at least). So I doubt that a whole CD of 'Moon Rivers' would get it through their heads either. Oh if only they'd go away quietly though.

Seems to me we've seen quite a range of music from Clay over the last four years. If someone asked me what Clay had been telling me since he came off of AI, or what I'd learn to expect from him, I'd say "that he loves to sing, can sing almost anything, and to expect the unexpected from him because he refuses to stay inside any box that anyone else wants to put him in." Some of my favorite songs he's sung have been in concert - Rosanna, Kyrie, Where The Streets Have No Name, Chain of Fools, WDC, Alone. We heard lots of "rockin" Clay during the IT, NAT, and the JBT. He hasn't done a pop concert tour since then. Since then, we've had two Christmas tours, ATDW, and AIW.

No doubt he loves ballads, but I think he also loves to rock out. To me, he's always looked like he's having the most fun when he's getting down and jumping around up on stage. I will always enjoy watching him perfom upbeat songs - Invisible, Perfect Day, Back for More, the 50s Medley, and anything else where he moves around, pumps his arms and jumps around. He looks so happy and like he's having fun. That's something I've missed alot these past couple of years. I imagine that is what some others have missed as well and why some have been concerned about a summer concert with a symphony.

I have no concern about this summer's concert because I have faith in Clay. He knows what we want and has always delivered before. I know he will again, and I'm really excited. I love both MOAM and ATDW, listen to both still all of the time. His voice makes me happy. But I understand the desire people have for him to sing more upbeat music.

On another note, I enjoy all sorts of discussion about Clay, his career and the decisions surrounding his career. I understand the desire to keep this board upbeat and positive and not sink down into a constantly negative thinking pattern as some places have become. But IMO, this board would be boring if people felt intimidated or discouraged from discussing things or expressing opinions because it fell outside of the accepted "Clay is so hawt!", or "I'm SO excited about the tour!" box. Just sayin. I think you can be a fan, love Clay enormously, and still worry sometimes, or have concerns about things. I know some people are very happy to just have a place to look at his gorgeous face and body and talk about the concerts. I've got a more analytical mind, and really enjoy talking about everything. But everytime I read a post talking about how stupid it is that people are talking about this over at another board, or thinking this or concerned about that, I think, "Well, guess I better not say anything about that, lol."

ETA: Muski, I'm so sorry about your water heater mess. What a total drag. Sounds like you guys need to hole up in a cheap motel room for a few days. Yuck. Did you get my PM?

Edited by Totally

Okay so I promised not to post ho. I lied.

What pray tell is the 'Candy Man' video?

hee...that got my attention too...

Ewwwkkkkkk.....It feels all kinds of wrong posting this among the Last Unicorn stuff, but hey I'm perverted that way.

Here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u34MfS0v-4E

ENJOY :)

Totally, you totally make sense to me!

Edited by treenuts

oh, rocknrllmom! That's Kenny! Clay! and he's sooooo purdy.....

Gots to get the Last Unicorn CD for MuskiJr. I also went to a poster website and ordered a Last Unicorn poster to go with it! :medium-smiley-070:

Ok...just got a call from my hubby. Yikes. The restoration company said that it could take a week to clean out and dry the moldy, damaged flooring and walls---we might actually have to 'vacate the premises'!!!!! Uh...like...where? And what about Shadow? HOly shit.

The replacement of the water heater itself is a little over a thousand...the clean up is more like $2,000! THEN we have to get a contractor to rebuild the flooring, drywall, etc.....

Meanwhile...we have no hot water. That means finding a place to shower, taking laundry to the laundermat, no using the dishwasher...

holyshit.holyshit.

:scream:

runforthehills-1.gif

well that just sucks...

I just cleaned up a flooded bathroom again...

yesterday had a plumber here....lot of good that did....we have to still get 3 gallons of vinegar to pour in there to eat some rust up....geesh...

air conditioner went out on the car..only a 2004....

heavy rain, that i had to drive in moved our internet antenna so we were connecting at 26K! or trying to connect....

ditz who is taking over for someone who went on vacation....did not bother looking on the desk of said vacationing person for timecards...so son is still unpaid...I had to call her to tell her to look there...geesh she found it.........UGH.....

CLAY! take me awayyyyyyyyyyyy......cannot wait until July 5th to fly the hell outta here!

oh and yeah baby kenny is all kinds of purdy!

For artquest, cindilu, and muski and anyone else who wants to geek out on "The Last Unicorn," there are a whole sh*tload of videos on YouTube for you!!

I was going to say we ordered the CD and movie from Amazon two days ago...and it was America who sang the songs. (except one that Mia Farrow sang) and........

If you go to the Amazon page, scroll down, and click on the "Music Sampler" you can listen to a few seconds of each song. There are a lot of instrumentals too.

OK, now you've all peaked my interest. America? I love America! What is this movie - is it animated?

luckiest - go to that YouTube link and you'll see all about it! Yes, it is an animated movie... it's a Rankin/Bass production and came out in 82.

It is also a book, and I plan to read it NEXT, right after I finish "Lipstick Jungle" by Candace Bushnell. (which is pretty good)

My daughter informs me that the book fleshes out the characters so much more than the movie, which is my experience with most movies and books.

Here's a link to the book on Amazon. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Edited by cha cha trusty

luckiest - go to that YouTube link and you'll see all about it! Yes, it is an animated movie... it's a Rankin/Bass production and came out in 82.

It is also a book, and I plan to read it NEXT, right after I finish "Lipstick Jungle" by Candace Bushnell. (which is pretty good)

My daughter informs me that the book fleshes out the characters so much more than the movie, which is my experience with most movies and books.

Here's a link to the book on Amazon. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll check it out tonight. Sounds interesting. Could be I saw it way back when and my ancient brain has already forgotten. :cryingwlaughter:

Totally, I think the quote that you attribute to Claygasm was actually made by cindilu2. And I'm sorry if I've added to the illusion that all opinions are not welcome here, because they most definitely are. I think sometimes, those of us who are refugees from other boards come here to vent our frustrations. What's great is that if those same topics that frustrate us elsewhere are brought up here, they can usually be calmly discussed without one person dominating the board and telling us what is "right".

Edited by luckiest1

((((muski)))

The last Unicorn...I know Kenny Loggins has a song last Unicorn on his return to Pooh Corner CD. I just listened to the you tube videos...its the same song, but I think I really like Kenny's version. this looks like a good animation. It reminds me of a great animation movie I saw when I was a kid...Flight of Dragons. I loved that movie and want to find a copy of it cos I love the theme...how magic is still important in the modern world...how it is what actually fires up people's imagination and dreams.

Totally...don't worry about stating your opinions and starting up conversations about your concerns. As I said i am fascinated by all kinds of discussion. I am also very opinionated and love a healthy debate. But I think what a lot of us are getting tired of is the wallowing in the angst and worries. I am all for venting and doing a rant or two...if people feel the same way I hope they post and say so as well. I just think people should be ready to hear a different POV. That is not meant to invalidate peoples worries but but simply to keep a good discussion going. BUT then...what we hope to happen is that people can then move on. Lots of other topics to discuss

I also appreciate your candidness in sharing some of your apprehension. I think that is why we let discussions of the boards on the board so that questions like this can be addressed. Discussions are welcome...as long as people respect each others POV and are willing to agree to disagree.

(Though I would consider tying his shoelaces. Not the same thing?) :lilredani:

Well, now wait a minute...he doesn't seem to wear shoes WITH laces, as proved by this and this. Either that, or he wears flip-flops (and I can't find a picture of that at the moment, sorry). So I'm beginning to think that the shoe-tying metaphor doesn't work very well anymore....

muski, I'm so sorry to hear about your house troubles. Total bummer.

Claygasm:

I think Clay has been telling us exactly who he is for four + years now and his words and deeds carry little or no weight with some people (not as much as the twinkle in his eye at least). So I doubt that a whole CD of 'Moon Rivers' would get it through their heads either. Oh if only they'd go away quietly though.

Seems to me we've seen quite a range of music from Clay over the last four years. If someone asked me what Clay had been telling me since he came off of AI, or what I'd learn to expect from him, I'd say "that he loves to sing, can sing almost anything, and to expect the unexpected from him because he refuses to stay inside any box that anyone else wants to put him in." Some of my favorite songs he's sung have been in concert - Rosanna, Kyrie, Where The Streets Have No Name, Chain of Fools, WDC, Alone. We heard lots of "rockin" Clay during the IT, NAT, and the JBT. He hasn't done a pop concert tour since then. Since then, we've had two Christmas tours, ATDW, and AIW.

No doubt he loves ballads, but I think he also loves to rock out. To me, he's always looked like he's having the most fun when he's getting down and jumping around up on stage. I will always enjoy watching him perfom upbeat songs - Invisible, Perfect Day, Back for More, the 50s Medley, and anything else where he moves around, pumps his arms and jumps around. He looks so happy and like he's having fun. That's something I've missed alot these past couple of years. I imagine that is what some others have missed as well and why some have been concerned about a summer concert with a symphony.

I think for me, personally, is that some of the people who want him to rock out are really, really, REALLY focused on that, to the exclusion of him singing any ballads. I too enjoy his performances of Invisible -- shoot, it's made me CRY more than a few times! The 50's medley -- yes, he was having a grand old time. But he also sang a ballad or two during that medley as well, and IMO some people "conveniently" forget that. I love watching him do pop/rock (and I really think that's closer to the correct term -- rock to me is more Metallica), but I also really loved him doing "I Can't Help Falling in Love With You" during the Elvis medley. My point is that there's many different facets to Clay and his performance styles. Right now the focus seems to be on his softer side (and whose choice that is -- Clays', Clive's, RCA's, whatever -- we do not know), and while I sympathize with those people who want the rock star to be here now, it may not happen that way. But you know, that's the thing -- we really don't know. I think, though, that some are wishing so hard for rock!star!Clay to appear, that they seem to miss the forest for the trees -- as someone said earlier, missing the beauty of the Clay Aiken that is directly in front of them.

I have no concern about this summer's concert because I have faith in Clay. He knows what we want and has always delivered before. I know he will again, and I'm really excited. I love both MOAM and ATDW, listen to both still all of the time. His voice makes me happy. But I understand the desire people have for him to sing more upbeat music.

Totally agree.

On another note, I enjoy all sorts of discussion about Clay, his career and the decisions surrounding his career. I understand the desire to keep this board upbeat and positive and not sink down into a constantly negative thinking pattern as some places have become. But IMO, this board would be boring if people felt intimidated or discouraged from discussing things or expressing opinions because it fell outside of the accepted "Clay is so hawt!", or "I'm SO excited about the tour!" box. Just sayin. I think you can be a fan, love Clay enormously, and still worry sometimes, or have concerns about things. I know some people are very happy to just have a place to look at his gorgeous face and body and talk about the concerts. I've got a more analytical mind, and really enjoy talking about everything. But everytime I read a post talking about how stupid it is that people are talking about this over at another board, or thinking this or concerned about that, I think, "Well, guess I better not say anything about that, lol."

Well, first of all, thank you for stating your opinion on that -- a gutsy thing, and I AM glad to hear it. However, there's a couple of things here. One of them is that I just can't worry about Clay all that much. He's a grown man, and he can take care of things. I'm not his mother, so I can't feel the need to fuss over things that are happening to him/with him/about him. The other thing is that even if someone here does express concerns or even strong opinions about something, it almost feels like a "vent" that is let go as soon as it is posted. People reply, or choose not to, and soon the topic has moved on. Sure, many of us will pick up on it, and state our own ideas, and that's great. But I've never felt that a topic has gotten bogged down here, while I have at other places.

I know that made no sense, but I'm too lazy to fix it.

The first thread title here at FCA was "Ready for Your Constant State of Celebration." I like celebrations. They make me happy.

:allgood:

I don't think anybody was discouraging real discussion. In fact, I think the opposite is true. But when it begins to feel like a lecture, when every single bit of optimism for or faith in Clay's decisions (which to me is the same thing as the fabled Team Clay) is countered with how it should, or worst MUST be done, then I object. It's pervasive.

Edited by cindilu2

So many good things said here today - at another board, not so much - wordpooper.gifI just wish common sense would prevail - oh well, my scroll key is getting a good workout

I guess it depends if you are looking at it from a fan's standpoint or a marketer's standpoint...and honestly....why would 99.9% of fans look at it from anything other than a fan's point of view? Why should they?
WORD!

What if Clay's next album is all orginals, but those originals are songs in the vein of "Moon River", with lots of symphonic arrangements? I am not saying that is my preference, but think about it. Clay seems to love singing with a symphony (as he himself has said). He seems to love pretty songs. He seems to love singer's songs, as he has put it. What if his next album, all orginals, is more in the vein style and sound-wise of ATDW or "Moon River"?

I wouldn't mind a bit but then I'm very easy when it comes to Clay - I'm just waiting for a certain segment of the fandom to try to assign a genre to the infamous "Phone Book" we all want to hear him sing so they can bitch and moan about that too :cryingwlaughter:

I can't speak for others, but for me it's become less a discussion and more a directive. *shrug* I am online to celebrate and enjoy Clay, not to fix him. (Though I would consider tying his shoelaces. Not the same thing?)
it's the tone of the posts I have trouble with - so often they feel condescending. So I scroll, scroll while they drone, drone.

About shoelaces - I wouldn't think twice about doing them - as a matter of fact, I've been known to think about doing nothing but that for hours on end

A directive and/or extrapolation based on opinions presented as facts and based on nothing but wishful thinking. Anyone who dares to disagree with some posters are treated as if they are ignorant and don't know what they are talking about. Plus, its the same "discussion" over and over and over and over and over again. Its just gets tiresome.

I agree Claygasm - great post! Not only are those who disagree treated as ignorant, but are often ignored completely -- but I don't think I need a marketing degree to do that - nope, see, here I go . . wheeeeeeeeee!!!!! ignoresmiley.gif

The other thing that bothers me is instead of rejoicing in the tour we are about to experience, we get the same rehashing of the RCA did Clay wrong "discussion" and the covers suck "discussion" etc. I would be much happier with a discussion that focused on the tour

There are many instances where it's been attempted but they seem to enjoy the hand-wringing more - I guess their definition of fun is different than most. Instead of posting reaction to their angsting, I think we should ignore them completely and post away with our eeeeeeeeeeeeeee's and our :Tour3: :Tour3: :TourExcite: :TourExcite: It will absolutely drive them shit-batty

So I want to just pipe in on the music thing. Ya know, that thing that the fans are suppose to be most interested in. Well anyway, I find myself thinking long and hard and sooo agonizing over what his next CD will sound like and what his next concert will look/sound like and and and.....

Only SO NOT! wtf? ITA that some of this fandom (some) is lost in some hot a/c radio world that quite frankly is never going to exist for our guy if were completely honest with ourselves. So who gives a rats ass anyway. Few folks listen continuously to radio anymore. Unless they are rap, talk radio or college stations, they are listening to CDs and ipods and the net! That's a fact jack and there's no goin' back sfar as I can tell. Sooooo....

treenuts, can I be you when I grow up? :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Let the man record, perform, promote. produce whatevah he desires. I trust him to know his own talent and to also listen and take under consideration that which he feels comfortable & good about. If I felt a need to angst over that part of his career then I would be on the payroll Not the other way around.

Okay, if I can't be you when I grow up, can I be your firstborn?

WORD!!

With that said.....I read several thoughts on this up thread and just wish to echo:

CLAY

STOOL

CROTCH

SPOTLIGHT

LAA

ahhhhhhh..... :Tour3:

That's IT treenuts - we're gettin' married! :clap:

Oh I don't mind marketing discussions. I am really fascinated by them...when they are really discussions and not a pseudo experts attempt at viral marketing of what they think Clay ought to do with his career. Its just that some so called marketing discussions are more propaganda for a certain way of thinking in the fandom because nothing new is really added to that gerbil wheel.

As I said, so much to WORD this morning! couldn't agree more Ansa - moreover, as has happened from the very beginning, those that complain/expound the loudest are often those who get whiplash the worst when they 180 - why do they just keep repeating the same behaviors over and over? How much of the "over and over" is because they just love to see/hear themselves spout - their market mumble is only so much babble/bs to me

Oh yeah...I know where my scroll button is...I even know when to just close the damn window and leave certain boards because I know what is to come, someone is just going to use the opportunity to give everyone a marketing lesson.
You have no idea how relieved I am to read this - it's exactly how I feel! :clap:

...what some fans are not getting is that they want Clay to sing different stuff to a different audience - Real Clay does not exist for them...and I agree. Some fans seem to be hanging on until Clay will become the Clay they think he should be. They are missing out on simply enjoying the man that is right in front of them.

Ansa, you're my hero. I might have to re-think that marriage thing to treenuts - is bigamy legal at FCA couchie? :cryingwlaughter:

Good wishes going your way Muski!

edited cause I do know that polygamy is one and bigamy is two *g*

Edited by PuddinsJoy

Totally, we have posted at enough boards together to know I would never feel comfortable posting someplace where contrary opinions are not allowed! :lol: :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Actually, I think one thing about this board I love is that ALL opinions are allowed and encouraged and are treated with respect even if you disagree with them. Heaven knows I have stated opinions here many have disagreed with (like that would be news to anyone!). However, never once that I can recall did I ever feel attacked or devalued or dismissed by those disagreeing with me. That to me makes all the difference in the world.

I LOVE a good discussion about Clay and his music and the man. I love to speculate and wonder and imagine what plans he may have for his career, the next album, his future. I love discussions of what people would like for Clay to sing stylistically. But I think those kind of discussions work best when people remember that they are just expressing their own opinions and that everyone else's opinions have just as much validity. None of us KNOW anything except what we like. Not what Clay likes. Only what WE like. For me, if discussions are framed within that context then they are great fun, are interesting and even informative. It is when those discussions take the form of a lecture or a dictum directed at Clay or that the same exact discussions are held over and over again that it becomes tiresome that I object.

Does that make any sense??

ETA: {{{muski}}} Yikes! Wish I could do something to help! You could ship Shadow here....

Edited by Claygasm

Well you only have to read back a couple of weeks to see that every issue under the sun gets discussed here and if it was just a bunch of words we wouldn't burn through the threads so fast (although I'm still stuck on the 8 months for the first one). I can't speak for anyone else, for me it's not the topic (because the variety of topics here is imo amazing), it's the feeling I get that Clay will never be just right that gives me the dragged down feeling - that he is somehow lacking. The same feeling I got from Setpember through even now that we need to bury ATDW, that failure of an album really fast and move on to the pop rocker we know Clay is but is being held back. I think when I suggest that I know who Clay is after all this time, I think peole interpret that to mean OMG HE'S A BORING BALLADEER AND YOU JUST WAIT HE'LL SHOW YOU...when I'm not saying that at all.

I haven't been around much this week so don't know what is pushing buttons but I know I love a good conversation. When Clay announced his symphony tour I never thought it would be a slow dreary drudge. Clay always mixes things up. I don't think Clay is just a ballad king either. I've been to all of his pop concerts so understand what he enjoys and what he has shared with us. I also know what he excels at (IMO ballads but also soul) and by saying that I'm not holding him down. But I think this desire for Clay to be a rock star and have a Kelly Clarkson type demo really overshadows a lot of things. The relief over the band being there is interesting to me. It's like oh god this isn't goign to be boring after all. What suprises me is that people needed that reasurrance after all this time. Now if he comes out and sings Moon River and every other hit from Andy Williams and Pat Boone, then fine. I'll join ya at the wailing wall.

I guess I'm also sick and tired. Don't mean to push people away who want to express things like - maybe Clay is forced to use a symphony and he really doesn't want to and blah blah blah. I mean really? Proud of Your Boy? JNT04. JNT06. Summer tour? Was Clay forced to do all these things. I just don't think that's analytical discussion. Pushing things out of our heads that are uniquely Clay, and define a great deal of who he is which doesn't match what we want him to be is really the only thing that bothers me. It's like everything that happens has to be molded and folded to fit whatever our theory is. Do i do that? I honestly don't think so. If I do, then I want to work on that stat.

I do think small boards like this one attrack people with like minds especially boards created after the fandom was "set." Is it that we just want to eeee? No but I've gotten to the point where this fandom isn't fun. Doesn't have to be shiney and happy but it damn well better be fun. I love rich, insightful, meaningful conversation. Oooh maybe I'm getting a bit elitist :cryingwlaughter: cuz I think we have that here in spades. We have experts but surely I don't feel like I'm in a 101 class.

Sorry for going on so long and like I said with all the crappy going on in my life haven't really ventured out of here much this week..hell it's been hard enough getting through ya'lls posthoing every night. This just sorta explains what drove me here. I can also see how a different impression of what I love about here can be held.

Puddin'sJoy!

Just

can not speak :cryingwlaughter:

Alright, now that I've had a chance to change my depends - Where can I get me one o' those blahblahblah dunce capped emotes? Me waaaaannnntttt!!!

Done whining

I always liked that something could be discussed and then it was over there were not posters posting the same thing over and over and over. And itis all angst, angst, angst - just before the Tour, wheeee Tour wheee.

I believe that celebration deserves as much attention, if not more, than angst.

Totally...don't worry about stating your opinions and starting up conversations about your concerns. As I said i am fascinated by all kinds of discussion. I am also very opinionated and love a healthy debate. But I think what a lot of us are getting tired of is the wallowing in the angst and worries. I am all for venting and doing a rant or two...if people feel the same way I hope they post and say so as well. I just think people should be ready to hear a different POV. That is not meant to invalidate peoples worries but but simply to keep a good discussion going. BUT then...what we hope to happen is that people can then move on. Lots of other topics to discuss

I also appreciate your candidness in sharing some of your apprehension. I think that is why we let discussions of the boards on the board so that questions like this can be addressed. Discussions are welcome...as long as people respect each others POV and are willing to agree to disagree.

First, sorry for getting the quote wrong, Cindilu and Claygasm. And thank you for everyone's supportive responses. I TOTALLY understand being tired of people wallowing angst and worries, even if sometimes I can understand some of the angst and worries. I allow myself some time to think about and discuss concerns with friends (which I prefer to dissecting stuff to death on message boards), but in the end I choose to believe that Clay will be around for me to enjoy in some way or another for a very long time. I've had lots of experience with my young adult children (more than I ever thought I would) and learned that you can angst and worry all you want and even make yourself sick over it, but in the end they are going to do what they want to do, and all you can do is sit back and love them and have faith that they will be okay. Even though I don't think of Clay as one of my children, I try to have the same attitude about him.

But when it begins to feel like a lecture, when every single bit of optimism for or faith in Clay's decisions (which to me is the same thing as the fabled Team Clay) is countered with how it should, or worst MUST be done, then I object. It's pervasive.

Cindilu I understand. Someone else said that it is when people post their opinions as if they are absolutely RIGHT that it bugs them most. I completely agree. That is what bugs me most too, about almost every subject. There is a big difference between stating an opinion and stating your opinion as fact...unless it is a fact.

I don't frequent alot of different boards, so maybe I haven't developed the level of frustration that many of you have. I don't go to any of the big boards - CV, CB or CH, so maybe I'm not as aware of what's going on out there, and not as tired of the same old conversations. When I hear them brought up here as topics being discussed on other boards, I think, "Really? That's what people are saying?"

I think for me, personally, is that some of the people who want him to rock out are really, really, REALLY focused on that, to the exclusion of him singing any ballads

ldyJocelynI feel sorry for those that can't appreciate all the many different facets of Clay and his performing style. Those that are solely focused on his rockin/pop side are likely to be disappointed this summer, I imagine. However, I was at the Kimmel 5 song concert, and all but Invisible was from ATDW, and I remember that feeling like a very upbeat concert. He sang Sorry, WISYS, Without You, Invisible, and ?????- I can't remember now. It was a fantastic mini-concert.

ETA - {{{{{Couchie}}}}}

Edited by Totally

Hmmmm.....I watched that Red Bank TFN from jojoct. Lovely "leaning back on stool for optimal display" video, fo' sho'. :Thud: Lovely man...generous, too, to continue leaning back like that...or perhaps "generous" isn't the word. My friend Totally might describe his behavior in this clip as more....

exhibitionist-like.

gah. He does pack it in, doesn't he? :hubbahubba:

And he might've been sick that night, but he was bee-you-tee-"full" heh

I'm trying to do my work here but I keep thinking about our water worries and just wish I could disappear or twitch my nose, all Bewitched-like, and suddenly! There's a new floor! New water heater! New paint! New washer/dryer!

New Bank Account!

Calgon, take me away....

wait...there's not hot water for that.... :wacko:

I need to go watch a few WDC clips, I think.... :clap:

Hmmmm.....I watched that Red Bank TFN from jojoct. Lovely "leaning back on stool for optimal display" video, fo' sho'. :Thud: Lovely man...generous, too, to continue leaning back like that...or perhaps "generous" isn't the word. My friend Totally might describe his behavior in this clip as more....

exhibitionist-like.

gah. He does pack it in, doesn't he? :hubbahubba:

And he might've been sick that night, but he was bee-you-tee-"full" heh

I told ya so

Ahhhhhh..There's nothin like smuttin through some godly music :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Crap. There goes the rest of my afternoon.

Now only 3 . . .

On topic:

While I haven't yet made up my mind on what I'll wear to the concerts, I did get in touch with my favorite techie to see about buying a new external hard drive for all the new Clack that I hope will be coming our way. He sent me to a site where you buy the innards (500 GB, $115) and the case ($45), which he says he'll put together if I make him some gingerbread cookies. Well, that sucker was ordered faster than you can say molasses and cloves. And on a related note, I bought some of these as part of my Get Rid Of Clutter campaign. They make me smile every time I open the pantry.

... I was at the Kimmel 5 song concert, and all but Invisible was from ATDW, and I remember that feeling like a very upbeat concert. He sang Sorry, WISYS, Without You, Invisible, and ?????- I can't remember now. It was a fantastic mini-concert.
I wasn't there ... but I'll never forget that great version of A Thousand Days that night. Has any video ever turned up on WISYS?

Just catching up here this afternoon and I've not been reading elsewhere for a while, and only posting at OFC regarding the tour ... so I'm guessing from what I've read above that some fans on other boards are still actively headbanger.gif and deadhorse2.gif and I just do not get the point, the purpose, or the joy in that.

Please tell me that marketing is not a continual topic of concern for all time around the boards--- because I was hoping it would end ... and now that Clay's having a fantastic year so far and the tour is kicking off in 13 days, I cannot imagine that there's anything left to say about marketing. I must confess that this past year or so has made me almost sympathetic to the Bill Hicks' marketing philosphy.

Totally, we have posted at enough boards together to know I would never feel comfortable posting someplace where contrary opinions are not allowed! :lol: :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Actually, I think one thing about this board I love is that ALL opinions are allowed and encouraged and are treated with respect even if you disagree with them. Heaven knows I have stated opinions here many have disagreed with (like that would be news to anyone!). However, never once that I can recall did I ever feel attacked or devalued or dismissed by those disagreeing with me. That to me makes all the difference in the world.

I LOVE a good discussion about Clay and his music and the man. I love to speculate and wonder and imagine what plans he may have for his career, the next album, his future. I love discussions of what people would like for Clay to sing stylistically. But I think those kind of discussions work best when people remember that they are just expressing their own opinions and that everyone else's opinions have just as much validity. None of us KNOW anything except what we like. Not what Clay likes. Only what WE like. For me, if discussions are framed within that context then they are great fun, are interesting and even informative. It is when those discussions take the form of a lecture or a dictum directed at Clay or that the same exact discussions are held over and over again that it becomes tiresome that I object.

Does that make any sense??

Hey Claygasm. Sorry I missed your post before. This thread moves so fast that while I'm composing a post, SO many other people post! Yes, I know that you appreciate "we, the outspoken", lol. And I totally agree that it's the way people articulate their opinions that make such a difference. Of course, it's much more difficult to do that well in written form than when speaking in person or even over the phone. Not being able to use tone of voice or facial expressions to soften words or make it clear that you don't mean to offend, accuse, or judge, but are just trying to express your feelings about something is very difficult. And even when you try hard, those reading are likely to infuse their own emotionally colored perspective into what you're trying to say.

Couch Tomato

I guess I'm also sick and tired. Don't mean to push people away who want to express things like - maybe Clay is forced to use a symphony and he really doesn't want to and blah blah blah. I mean really? Proud of Your Boy? JNT04. JNT06. Summer tour? Was Clay forced to do all these things. I just don't think that's analytical discussion. Pushing things out of our heads that are uniquely Clay, and define a great deal of who he is which doesn't match what we want him to be is really the only thing that bothers me. It's like everything that happens has to be molded and folded to fit whatever our theory is. Do i do that? I honestly don't think so. If I do, then I want to work on that stat.

I understand the frustration you're expressing here, and maybe I didn't express myself very well up above. I don't even have anything in particular I'm dying to discuss. I agree there are a lot of silly things being worried about and discussed ad nauseum, if what I hear is being harped on elsewhere is real. Maybe I'm just sensitive to there being a "positive police" in the fandom because last year on RHT, we went from being a very open board where anything could be discussed to being a place where there were all sorts of taboo subjects, and that really bothered me. I have a bit of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, lol. I don't have enough experience here to know all the subjects that have been discussed, but I have seen many posts since I've been here putting down the discussions on other boards - I assume with very good reasons. But having read the responses to my post, I have a much better understanding of where those feelings are coming from. The way people have responded to my post makes me feel very good about the ability to have great discussions on this board.

One thing I've always believed about Clay is that he does what he wants to do and rarely does anything he doesn't want to do. I don't think in any way he's been a puppet. Now maybe he did have to bow a bit to Clive's concept for ATDW, but it was also clear that Clay was very proud of that CD and felt that he had a lot to do with the song selection and production of each song. As for tours, I believe Clay has a great deal of control over what he does on and with them. I believe him when he says he love singing with symphonies.

As for we fans having a tendency to mold everything to make it fit into what we believe about Clay, some of us/them certainly do that to a greater extent than others, but I think it's something we all have a tendency to do in life with everything. We see things a certain way and like to make the world (whatever part of the world we're looking at) fit into that perspective. It's no different with Clay. It seems to me that people on this board try harder than most not to do that with Clay and try to not make assumptions for which there aren't facts to back them up. But we all see things thru our very colored lenses.

BTW, I'm really impressed with the metamorphasis of this board and what you've done with it (with the help of some friends. I can't wait to meet you all when you come down for the Southern Cal concerts!

Hmmmm.....I watched that Red Bank TFN from jojoct. Lovely "leaning back on stool for optimal display" video, fo' sho'. Lovely man...generous, too, to continue leaning back like that...or perhaps "generous" isn't the word. My friend Totally might describe his behavior in this clip as more....

exhibitionist-like.

Muski What's TFN?, and which tour is this one from? Must watch it. I have a whole afternoon and evening off from the family tomorrow while my boys go see a Red Sox game in San Diego and I'm thinking it's time for a little Clack party (alone I suppose). It's been a while since I/we've seen Clay's exhibitionism on display. Makes me terribly sad. :(

Totally...It's JNaT 2006 Red Bank The First Noel by jojoct....the whole thing is gorgeous, of course, since he's singing, but it's mostly a close up until the end of hte song...the camera pulls back and

yowza! Then he leans back on the stool and his jacket falls to the sides and

yowza! Then he just folds his arms across his chest and lets himself shine while he banters away....seemingly quite comfy with flaunting his stuff.....I love that man.

Wish I could join you for a clack party tomorrow! :F_05BL17blowkiss: Hell, if you lived near here, the whole family would be moving in with you for a week or so! :lmaosmiley-1: