#20: Clay is just so frickin' cute! Cute, cute, cute!

Couch Tomato

Thread Title Poll  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title on the FCA board?

• "Surprisingly, the ice did not melt."
    • Bring it Aiken! And if it turns out to be a total cheese boat I'm ready to sail with ya'!
    • Circumstances and dynamics spun together into pure electricity
    • Buy Clay Aiken because it's a top of the line brand.

I want to post something personal because I'm so excited about this I don't know what to do -- and all the people I've tried to call are out of pocket. So here it is: My son in the military was told to expect orders this fall to Iraq or Afghanistan -- that one or the other, or both, was a sure thing, per regulations. Period. End of message. I remember telling lightmyfire and Clayzorback that I couldn't even deal with the thought of it. I was against this crazy foreign policy/war/insanity before it started. I've now heard from the kids and there were orders floating around for a three year posting with very specific requirements and my son is the only fit -- so OMG he has orders to the Atlantic coast of Georgia for three years instead of deploying in and out of Afghanistan and the Green Zone in Baghdad. Am I dreaming? God, I hope not because I didn't realize how uptight I was about this until the pressure turned off and now I am walking on air. I am elated. This is a miracle. No really. This has to be divine intervention here. This is un-freaking-believable. Much better to teach at the federal law enforcement center, huh? God, this is great. I'm going to celebrate. With a margarita!

That's great Keepingfaith, what good news for your family. A margarita seems fitting.

keepingfaith, congratulations to you and your son. I would be in the same state of mind if my kids had to go to war but hopefully it will all be over with soon and no one's loved ones will have to go to war.

I want to post something personal because I'm so excited about this I don't know what to do -- and all the people I've tried to call are out of pocket. So here it is: My son in the military was told to expect orders this fall to Iraq or Afghanistan -- that one or the other, or both, was a sure thing, per regulations. Period. End of message. I remember telling lightmyfire and Clayzorback that I couldn't even deal with the thought of it. I was against this crazy foreign policy/war/insanity before it started. I've now heard from the kids and there were orders floating around for a three year posting with very specific requirements and my son is the only fit -- so OMG he has orders to the Atlantic coast of Georgia for three years instead of deploying in and out of Afghanistan and the Green Zone in Baghdad. Am I dreaming? God, I hope not because I didn't realize how uptight I was about this until the pressure turned off and now I am walking on air. I am elated. This is a miracle. No really. This has to be divine intervention here. This is un-freaking-believable. Much better to teach at the federal law enforcement center, huh? God, this is great. I'm going to celebrate. With a margarita!

What a relief - YAY!!

What?!! Clay's not dancing bare? :cry4:Rips up CITH tickets.

Oh, wait... dancing bear... Never mind.

Now Clay dancing bare would elicit more than spontaneous screaming -- I think there would be spontaneous combustion on my part. But that's a visual I can entertain and entertain and entertain.

Bottle, you cracked me up! And Clay dancing bare? Spontaneous screaming? Spontaneous combustion? Nope. Spontaneous something else......

Keepingfaith, congratulations on your wonderful news! My little sister got back from Afghanistan last year and her brand-new DH is now back in Iraq for his second tour. They're saying he won't get to come home until early 2009. :(

My 2-cents on the spontaneous screaming in the middle of a song:

It's OK when I'm there and doing the screaming. It's not OK when I'm having to watch Clack from home and can't hear the song. HOw's that for logic? :cryingwlaughter:

I know absolutely zippo about vocal technique, but for some weird reason the subject fascinates me. I noticed that Clay is definitely doing a purposeful jaw movement (as opposed to all the random stuff he does) on the AIW glory notes. He starts with the jaw lifted, drops it down and then slowly lifts at the end of the note. I assume he does it to change the shape and size of the vocal cavity, but I would love for any of the singers on the board to explain it.

A while ago people were discussing syllables and one that I always listen for is the "man" in the final "Emmanuel" in AIW. There are some versions where there is such an incredible caress to that sound. Heresy, but I almost would rather listen to that than the glory note.

bookwhore is very wise...hee

but I wonder if you have seen Spots DSIAFCD...cos you may not want to see the huge hug Shae Lynn gives Clay before and after her skate. She looked so enthralled and thrilled with him...and Clay seem very attentive too... OK is she married and how old is she...hee

DSIAFCD... this had some rough patches, obviously due to the dry air and not having his chords properly warmed up yet. There is a reason he usually puts this in the end of his shows. BUT...again...I am so impressed with his poise and the way he was making adjustments to accommodate the vocal problems he was having. I still think it is one of my favorite DSIAFCD. LOVE the change up...EEEEEEEEE

lilyshine...I am not an expert, but I remember when I was taking some vocal lessons in college my vocal teacher told us that optimally you want your vocal chords to be free to vibrate and to move very fluidly. That is why it needs to be lubricated and your throat and vocal cavity as relaxed and fully open as possible. I do believe that is what Clay was doing...the air in Vegas was very dry, so this will affect his performance so he has to do every trick to he knows to give his chords the optimal space and breath support so he can do that note well without vocal strain.

This choir reject just has to ask .... what is a vocal cavity?

OMG...I really don;t know the terms anymore...just using the term lilyshine used that I suppose means the area where your voice box and chords is, so your throat area and your mouth too??? I know we have more qualified experts.

I miss ceasario...now she was a true expert...

Longest. Workshop. Of. My. Life.

Oh man, I so wanted to get home and watch clack from last night. I'll do that as soon as I finish this post.

kf, I'm so happy for you and your son. My wish is that other sons and daughters come home very very soon, with no loss of life to anyone. I know, I'm a dreamer....but we've got to keep dreaming sometimes for things like this.

I think the whole reaction thing to Clay's singing boils down to everyone's individual reactions, and the disconnect that we sometimes have for others' reactions. In my case, when Clay hits a note fantastically -- I tend to silently "yesssssssssssss!" and maybe shed some tears. The emotions don't hit me in the "WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" when it comes to his hitting notes like that (Merrillville was the exception, of course....) And sometimes, I just don't understand it when people feel the need to scream their appreciation/emotion -- and it sometimes bugs the snot out of me. I can think of several instances involving the glory note in MDYK. And I'm not just talking about the clack either, it's the live reactions that sometimes bug me too. Thing is, I'm learning, is that it's just a different reaction. OTOH, when he does something incredibly cute and funny -- I'm usually one of the loudest people out there.

As I keep saying, different strokes and all that.

Off to watch some cool clack!

ETA since no one else seems to be posting and such...

First of all, THANK YOU to all our FCA recappers! I love reading your responses to being their live!

And then....the clack. Such goodness. I'm not sure if I should be worshipping the Clai (although I guess she's married?) or the Clasha. *g* Clay's vocals are outstanding, even with a bit of scratchiness. I think my favorite thing though is Phillippe Candeloro (sp?) encouraging Clay to try one of those backflips and Clay "faking it." Heh. You know me -- I love that goofy cute guy.

And finally -- gosh, is this a record? On top 4 times in the past 24 hours? I think I'm going to hurl soon....

Yikes. Someone called me on it. I don't know where I picked up the term "vocal cavity" but I think it was in a discussion of how singers move from chest voice to head voice and how changing the shape of the internal spaces changes the sound and resonance.

It may be the totally wrong term!

Ok who is the Clai??? Did I miss someone else???

I was reading the CH and GBB mentioned watching Shae Lynn skate with Michael Bolton singing, when she finished she gave him a high five...hee

Don't miss the WWFlub...so cute!!! He was so poised.

lilyshine..I wouldn't be surprised if that is the right term. I just can't say cos I just hear it used around the boards just like you. My own shortlived vocal lessons was more than 20 years ago.

did somebody mention CUTE?

'laughn' I'll match your CUTE, and raise you a "MAGNIFICENT"...from da skatin' singin' man last night.

Lift up your voice and sing!!!!!!! Indeed!11 :yahoo:

I agree wholeheartedly about spontaneous reactions. I just don't happen to think that there's anything spontaneous anymore about fan reaction to the AIW glory note.

And I'm not so sure Clay wouldn't feel the same about it. You don't cheer an orchestra at the climax of a Beethoven symphony -- you bravo and standing o at the end, and let it go on as long as necessary. The screams for the AIW glory note should never be hasty and borderline obligatory, because it will dilute the emotion of the moment. Clay is an artist, not a dancing bear. JMO, as always.

Clay is an artist and all artists deserve some respect. That's all I'm sayin....

I'm sure my view is not widely held but it is still a matter of respect, if not for the artist, for the people who paid to see and listen. Rock Stah, Pop Stah, Opera Stah, Symphony Stah...all the same! R E S P E C T is universal!

I am an opera fan and those beautiful voices evoke the very same emotions in an opera fans as Clay's voice evokes in his fans. Many times I've wanted to scream bravo and clap my hands off but I don't. I love Clay's voice not the shrill screaming, I love you's and whatnot. :lipstick:

Sorry if I've offended anyone, certainly didn't mean to but I'm just expressing my opinion. This is all about me and not directed at anyone else.

That's why this place is so comfortable. :fca:

Thanks for these comments keeping faith and 'Toots'; I'm not always sure what my reaction should be to the reaction. Duh.

My take on things like this is usually fairly specific to the song and the occasion. Maybe it's just me, but for AIW especially I wish individuals audiences would just hold their noise until the song was complete. Granted, there is this big note that he missed (once), and now it seems like there will always be the collective holding of breath, the predictable "Will he make it? Will he make it?" murmur, and the gasp and/or shriek of relief when he does. Why is this such a surprise?

It is as if he is walking a perpetual tightrope to the inevitable glory note, and if he falls, Oh MY, what would happen?

The world would keep on turning and Clay Aiken would just keep on singing.

There will always be time for that total body applause we do, our (enthusiastic) screaming, shouting Bravo, and thunderous palm tingling clapping, but the song; each amazing note being born into creation out of the breath and body of the artist deserves our utmost attention; our emotions receiving each exquisite tone. Learning to hear it; especially live and in the moment, as a whole entity takes us away from what we need to say and brings us to what the artist is trying to tell us. Okay, that's all I got. :clay:

And all you FCA'ers, I want to share a proud mother moment with you. :family2: Tomorrow evening, my DS#2 will be singing the lead tenor role in a modern Mozart opera on the stage of the Centennial Concert Hall in Winnipeg. Although he has sung solo on the stage many times, Thursday will be his debut lead role in an honest to goodness opera. He is only twenty two years old and my favorite classical tenor in the world. And wouldn't you know it, the best I could do on TM was the 11th row. And I wish I had some quick lessons in taking subterfuge Clack or in this case Chrack for Christopher so I could save a few moments of it for posterity sake, but alas, I'd probably get thrown out of the concert hall, and wouldn't that make the lead tenor proud? :yow: Or not. :lol2:

bye now.... :deepersnow:

Zena why didn't you take the lead in this discussion then we could have all just said Word or Ditto to those wonderfully articulate comments. What modern Mozart opera is your so singing? How wonderful it must be to listen to your son sing the lead role. My Bravos will be with the two of you! :clap:

THANK YOU to all our FCA recappers! I love reading your responses to being their live!
Thanks so much for sharing the experience and yay for Clay peeking in and signing some of the party items!!!

You don't cheer an orchestra at the climax of a Beethoven symphony -- you bravo and standing o at the end, and let it go on as long as necessary.
Maybe they were trying to 'o' at the same time? *ducks* But seriously ITA with you. It doesn't make sense to scream over his voice at any time. I hope people will either hug or punch (per KAndre)or grab someone's arm (yes, I'm still apologizing to Solo for nearly twisting her arm off at the Raleigh NAT) but maybe for some it's an oral thing. Lately my impulse has been to gnaw on the back of my fist, which isn't a very good idea on the nights when he's glory-noting all over the place. (Try explaining that to your HMO!) I probably should carry a handkerchief to bite into and twist and pull on but I always forget ("Here, take my handkerchief. Never, at any crisis of your life, have I known you to have a handkerchief.") Perhaps they can add something soft and springy to the merchandise list to help this situation and maybe save someone's arm in the process? If it's Clay-shaped it's even better. :D

Clay is an artist and all artists deserve some respect. That's all I'm sayin....

I'm sure my view is not widely held but it is still a matter of respect, if not for the artist, for the people who paid to see and listen. Rock Stah, Pop Stah, Opera Stah, Symphony Stah...all the same! R E S P E C T is universal!

I am an opera fan and those beautiful voices evoke the very same emotions in an opera fans as Clay's voice evokes in his fans. Many times I've wanted to scream bravo and clap my hands off but I don't. I love Clay's voice not the shrill screaming, I love you's and whatnot. :lipstick:

Sorry if I've offended anyone, certainly didn't mean to but I'm just expressing my opinion. This is all about me and not directed at anyone else.

That's why this place is so comfortable. :fca:

{{{Toots}}} Glad that you're using your voice (tm:cute&magnificent guy) and you're absolutely right! Anyone over 10 who screams "I love you Clay" should be ashamed of themselves.

And all you FCA'ers, I want to share a proud mother moment with you. :family2: Tomorrow evening, my DS#2 will be singing the lead tenor role in a modern Mozart opera on the stage of the Centennial Concert Hall in Winnipeg. Although he has sung solo on the stage many times, Thursday will be his debut lead role in an honest to goodness opera. He is only twenty two years old and my favorite classical tenor in the world. And wouldn't you know it, the best I could do on TM was the 11th row. And I wish I had some quick lessons in taking subterfuge Clack or in this case Chrack for Christopher so I could save a few moments of it for posterity sake, but alas, I'd probably get thrown out of the concert hall, and wouldn't that make the lead tenor proud? :yow: Or not. :lol2:
Awww, congratulations, zena!!! Have fun watching him and I hope you find someone to take Chrack (not you, since it's your moment to watch and enjoy)! :clap:

For some reason, unbeknownst to me, I still cannot post under ADDREPLY, so am having to post in FastReply... no quotes and no emoticons... sorry.

KeepingFaith... I'm so happy for you in your son's not going to the battle zone!!!

zena... congrats on operasingingson!!! Take needle and thread in case you pop your buttons with pride!

What a trip! 5 hours drive, got there at 2pm. Rooms were awesome, especially for $35! Nice hotel! LONG hikes to everywhere, tho. Don't know how Play managed! Kudos to her for gritting her teeth and doing it... course the rewards were massive! Pre-party was awesome. LV knows how to throw a partay. First pre-party I went to was LV IT and I was mighty impressed then... mighty impressed again! Lots of great prizes. I put all my tickets in one bag, but someone else won... boohoo! Met Couchie and Gibby and Reiki4Clay and Play and Fear and luckiest and CrimsonIce and Wandacleo and her friend and cotton and one more whose name I cannot remember (SORRY!!!). Muski... I saw and spoke to Tessy... she looks great!

The stage looked beautiful. The arena had one pretty open section across from me and the end was more empty than not. Editing is a wonderful thing! LOL Clay was beautiful, too. That burgandy shirt/tie combo was gorgeous, the black shirt/silver tie combo was gorgeous, his hair was gorgeous, the man was gorgeous! The skaters ALL gave him props. That might have been a "told to do it" by the producers, but the vibe was they really thought his voice was stellar!

This was my first time hearing AIW in person. The accoustics was really good and I don't think he has ever hit those low notes as well as he did last night. The whole song was just the most impressive I have heard and I listened to every single one last JNT. May have been cause it was live and that voice just filled the arena! Standing O... and it wasn't for Todd's skating... tho I heard that was very good... my binoculars were glued to Clay... LOL

The guard who was keeping us from peeking at Clay during rehearsal (we heard him...eeeeee) said he was a really nice guy. He asked what was going on and I told him and he said if he was a star and his fans were raising money for his foundation, he would be sure and drop in to thank everyone, like Clay was being remiss in not coming to the party. Yah... let me see you go into a room with 300 fans and expect to get out without speaking and touching every single one of them. Geesh! He does as much as he can and thanks us every chance he gets. We know he is appreciative!

The skating part was adorable. Don't know whether he was playing up his awkwardness on those skates or whether he really was cause of them not being his usual hockey skates. It was cute! He was CUTE!!! Unfortunately, tho the skaters did some do-overs, Clay did not! LOL

Forgot... met KarenEh! after, but she was off with another bunch, so only talked a moment or two. I THINK I intro'd myself, but not sure! LOL

Most of us went to TGIFs for food after. That was major fun! It was a wonderful Clay day! Then, after saying goodbye to everyone, I slept from 1am to 3am, then 4am to 6:15am, then up for the day and a long drive home. My shampoo leaked on my extra shirt, so had to wear same shirt again. Met Reiki4Clay at the gift shop and she probably wondered if I'd been to bed since I was wearing the same clothes... LOL Lost $25 at the slots, gave up and with lots of Diet Coke to keep me awake made my way home with only one wrong turn that added a half hour to my trip! Had sooo much fun Tuesday, that I guess Wednesday had to make up for it!!! LOL

But, now I am caught up on the board and about ready to watch the wonderful clack! Sigh... All Is Well!!!

Finally home and sitting down at the computer. Last night was just magical--Clay singing among those twinkling lights and the beautiful skaters. I thought he was perfection--freaking hot and sounding great. I know that some people think that DSIAFCD wasn't perfect, but i thought it was--he just did it a little different. Quite lovely. AIW--well, I just cannot imagine anyone NOT standing and cheering because it was just that amazing!! His voice is just like honey and spice. Unbelievalble. I'm sure if the producers thought his songs were off, he'd have been out there resinging--just like the reskating skaters.

The pre-party was so well organized and a wonderful beginning for the evening. It was so much fun to get to know Couch Tomato, Gibby, Playbilller, FearofH20, Luckiest & daughter, Liney, and ReikiforClay as well as all of those whose names I can't remember right now in my bleary state.

I was so sad when the evening was over, but it's a great memory.

Thanks for these comments keeping faith and 'Toots'; I'm not always sure what my reaction should be to the reaction. Duh.

My take on things like this is usually fairly specific to the song and the occasion. Maybe it's just me, but for AIW especially I wish individuals audiences would just hold their noise until the song was complete. Granted, there is this big note that he missed (once), and now it seems like there will always be the collective holding of breath, the predictable "Will he make it? Will he make it?" murmur, and the gasp and/or shriek of relief when he does. Why is this such a surprise?

It is as if he is walking a perpetual tightrope to the inevitable glory note, and if he falls, Oh MY, what would happen?

The world would keep on turning and Clay Aiken would just keep on singing.

I have to admit this song make me nervous...but not because he flubbed it once, but because it is a very tough note to do. This whole song has a high difficulty level because of the range and emotion he has to convey and very few singers can do this well , so just as I get nervous when I watch my favorite skater about to do a quad I get nervous when Clay is about to do this song. I think it makes it actually more thrilling for me when he not only hits the note but when he does is so beautifully and masterfully. So I do think if I was in that audience that I would follow the organic reaction of the audience of standing on my feet and cheering.

bye now.... :deepersnow:

Congratulations and hope everything goes well with his performance.

I promise to scan and post the insanely funny picture of my daughter and I riding the Manhattan Express roller coaster when I get home. As long as Gibby & Fearof H2O post theirs. ;)

*waves especially to couchie, who must be asleep at her desk by now* She is insane, in a good way. :)

Heeeee, Lucky, I will definitely post the pic with Fear and I! Your pic is hilarious, and must be posted. Yes, Couchie is insane, and she's wonderful, too! I loved meeting all of you. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

!

So I may have just watched the WAYDNE clip at my desk - unofficially of course - and it sure looks to me like Sasha hands Clay a pair of black skates. And yet he glides out wearing a pair of brown ones. What's up with that? And just who, pray tell, was backstage doing up his laces?

Yeah, what's up with that? I noticed the same thing, black to brown! :hangin: Did Jaymes scurry backstage to do the laces and where was Mary? I'm sure they have professional lacer's...now that would be a good job because he would be sitting while you were lacing and you could just sneak a quick peek upward and :Thud:

We noticed the change in the skates, too, and no one seems to know why. I will say that the black skates looked really nice, and the brown ones didn't look quite as purty, so maybe that's why. Who knows?? And I sure wish I could have seen behind the sparkly black curtain several times, including when Clay was back there getting laced up by unknown persons. Ummmm, is that like tying showlaces???? :hubbahubba:

Keepingfaith, I am thrilled for you! What a huge relief to have your son in the states. :clap:

My 2-cents on the spontaneous screaming in the middle of a song:

It's OK when I'm there and doing the screaming. It's not OK when I'm having to watch Clack from home and can't hear the song. HOw's that for logic?

Yup, I agree with this perspective. And since I was there last night, I can tell you that it would have been pretty darn hard to be there last night and not cheer at the glory note. We were encouraged to make lots of noise for the sake of the TV show, and we cheered every time the skaters made their jumps or did a particularly good combination. So, why wouldn't we cheer for Clay when he did particularly well? It fit the mood of the night. If it were a concert of classical music, it wouldn't have been appropriate to cheer at the glory note. But last night it felt right.

And all you FCA'ers, I want to share a proud mother moment with you. :family2: Tomorrow evening, my DS#2 will be singing the lead tenor role in a modern Mozart opera on the stage of the Centennial Concert Hall in Winnipeg. Although he has sung solo on the stage many times, Thursday will be his debut lead role in an honest to goodness opera. He is only twenty two years old and my favorite classical tenor in the world. And wouldn't you know it, the best I could do on TM was the 11th row. And I wish I had some quick lessons in taking subterfuge Clack or in this case Chrack for Christopher so I could save a few moments of it for posterity sake, but alas, I'd probably get thrown out of the concert hall, and wouldn't that make the lead tenor proud? Or not.

Wow, zena, this is waaaaay cool! I'm so excited for you. Come back and give us a report, okay?

Liney, it was wonderful to meet you, too! I enjoyed reading your recap.

Now I'm off to scan in my pic of Fear and I on the coaster, so I can post it later!

I vote for the Clasha. They are so CUTE together!!

And we all know the importance of being CUTE!!!!

And to be CUTE with Clay, you have to be pretty darn CUTE yourself.

But NEVER EVER can you be CUTER than Clay!

Waiting, waiting for all the glorious clack to download so I can go to bed.....

How great catching up on the board has been this time! All the excited reports and happy news! Yeay for keepingfaith's son and zena's son! Yeay, yeay! And yeay for new face-to-face meetings among FCA women..only wish I could've been there to chalk a few more up for myself!

First full day of the conference---major preparation day. I have to be at the registration area by 5:00 am! because this year there are some school visits that are far away and the buses are loading as early as 6:15...I'm too old for this.

Tomorrow first full day of meetings, and then the opening session and reception in the evening to kick off the super full days Friday and Sat. Tonight is really my last gasp of alone time until Sunday on the plane, heading home.

I have this humongous suite--it's a presidential suite but it's about the fugliest one I've ever seen. Just a lot of empty space or ugly furniture.

Oh, and keepingfaith?

This choir reject just has to ask .... what is a vocal cavity?

I'm not sure what it is, but I'm pretty danged sure Clay can fill it.