OMWH Listening Party!

ldyjocelyn

"I'm older, should be wiser, still I never seem to learn."

This is a really great line, I think. And so very true for almost everyone.

The acoustic guitar work on this song is fantastic.

My second favorite at the moment. Gorgeous, gorgeous vocals at the beginning. Especially the first lines,

Silence,

long lost friend

You've come to me again

Night comes

Closing in

And the loneliness within

and also on

Restless, I lie awake.....(etc)

LOVE LOVE LOVE the vocals and the melody there.

I think there are two drumming things going on here, the jazz drum, and a more traditional pop drumming.

That stuttering sound in the background now and then throughout is interesting. Intriguing musical choice. Now and then I get a John Cage feeling from Kipper's arrangments, or at least electronica or "noise" music influence. It's like the sound of the NY streets to me. This song has a lot of "effects" that make it muscially complex and interesting.

Don't really love the techo voice, but I do love the way it moves from techno to natural on fallling. And I like the soft voice as the "falling' chorus starts up again.

I always think the phone is ringing here.

Again, a return to the opening guitar at the end, and a techno send off. Cool.

Another fave. Another rock bopper while driving around in my soccer mom van....sunroof open, of course! Love it. Love it. Even love the electronic shit. And how he sings out of the electronic shit... The thing is about this song is how it changes so much...so many ways of presentation...

I LOVE IT!

Falling

I agree the opening is reminiscent of Touch. Me likey!

My only complaint about this song is that it is too short! I always have to hit repeat.

Love the low tones in the first couple of lines.

I'm older, should be wiser, still I never seem to learn. Yep, check. LOL

Love the chorus, it's so catchy, makes me want to sing along, and again, like EIDN, roll down the windows. :)

A taste of bittersweet. Love that line.

Come back and wake me up again, I can't face this world alone

In my dream I was......I need to look up these lyrics, I don't know what he is singing, just know I like it.

But I love the cool effect here, I know not everyone does, but it makes it sound......I don't know........current? Contemporary? Not that stuff like that usually matters to me, but it works in this song, for me. Does this have a name?

Cool ending, too.

In my dream I return and then, I'm falling....

Ansa, yeah I do get a bit of a Touch vibe from the beginning. Maybe that's why I'm not all that enamored of this song.

*ducks from Touch lover CG*

What???? That would be a GOOD thing!!!

*Pets pretty, sexy Touch*

The lyrics to this are interesting.

I'm falling frm the world I used to know

Been trying to hold on

To something for so long

~~

I'll hold on to forever

Still I'm stuck in yesterday

I'm closer than ever

to the edge

I feel as if this song is about his struggle to keep his old pre-celeb life but yet he knows he's moved past that. And that means a certain loneliness and a feeling of being in a free fall. He so desperately wants to hold on to his old life where he feels safe and loved, but he can't.

I have no idea what this song is about - what does fallen mean? Is it good or bad? It sounds bad, but maybe it is a song of someone who is in transition and needs to let go?

It stinks through loud speakers, I don't need to hear all the pfffffttttss and moogy sounds. I listen without head phones and it sounds better. Maybe I should listen to it in an MP3 with less detail.

The synth voice reminds me of one of Kelly's song in My December I think.

I am really liking that part now cos its just sooo dramatic...

So you guys know what this means? Clay during some rough times???

I love the lower register throughout this one.

Definitely a song that will get everyone up and dancing in concert. I think that Clay can relate to the getting older part and expecting to be wiser but not always true. I can relate to this. How many of us can think of memories of experiences that have jarred us from sleep or relaxation? He knows ATDW didn't have any of these bopping tunes so he added the Classics.

ansa, I hear a bit of Touch in this too. It is a short song relative to the others, isn't it? this song is one of the songs referred to in some reviews, too. I love 99.99% of the sounds Clay makes but there is one sound on the "know" on the "world i used to know." Almost too pretty a "know..."

I do like how it goes from that under water sound to a clearer sound when singing "fallin" but not sure what I think of the underwater part.

In what universe is this a ballad i would like to ask ms. and mr. reviewer.

I like all the songs on the album but this would be in my bottom 4 I think.

I feel as if this song is about his struggle to keep his old pre-celeb life but yet he knows he's moved past that. And that means a certain loneliness and a feeling of being in a free fall. He so desperately wants to hold on to his old life where he feels safe and loved, but he can't.

Ooooo, I like that. "The world I used to know." Makes sense.

Totally agree on the word "falling" out of the synth thing....that's great.

Ansa, yeah I do get a bit of a Touch vibe from the beginning. Maybe that's why I'm not all that enamored of this song.

*ducks from Touch lover CG*

What???? That would be a GOOD thing!!!

*Pets pretty, sexy Touch*

The lyrics to this are interesting.

I'm falling frm the world I used to know

Been trying to hold on

To something for so long

~~

I'll hold on to forever

Still I'm stuck in yesterday

I'm closer than ever

to the edge

Oh good analysis. Not as dark as I was thinking...cos I thought it could be someone in depression and is thinking of suicide...letting go...

But your explanation sounds more like Clay...whew.

You know.....his vocal range really gets a workout in these songs, but he's so fuckin' GOOD that it's not something that screams out at the listener...

Wonder what the range is in this song.... :whistling-1:

Did you think someone on this board might know the answer to that question? :cryingwlaughter:

The bottom note at the beginning is a C below middle C, and the top note is a B flat above middle C. So the range is almost two octaves. That's a pretty big range for a pop/rock song!

The synth voice reminds me of one of Kelly's song in My December I think.

I am really liking that part now cos its just sooo dramatic...

So you guys know what this means? Clay during some rough times???

Well, I gave my thoughts on this but

**sniff**

I guess no one reads my posts!

**sniff**

Fine, I post this and you read my post!

Make me look like a whiney fool why don't you! <snark>