#33: Let's all chant "I think it can! I think it can! I think it can!"

FCA Thread Title  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What should the next thread title be at FCA?

• So, how about that Clay Aiken?
    • The guy is just endlessly fascinating, isn't he?
    • Artificial insemination, well at least we know he had a hand in it.
    • If you claim he's got titanium balls, why not let him use them?
    • I'm happy to let Clay do whatever he wants.
    • I have ears and a brain and a heart, and I like what OMWH does to them.
    • Magical Mercurial Music Maker!
    • Clay--still the one.
    • In general, his voice just DOES something good to me. It makes things seem...better, somehow.

It's a guitar special effect ... a foot pedal ... it goes "wah-wah" ...

It was popularized by Jimi Hendrix in Voodoo Child (Slight Return), Eric Clapton used it extensively with Cream and Blind Faith, and for me the most masterful use of it ever was by Stephen Stills (Super Session: Season of the Witch (near the end)). You hear it in a lot of funk songs, and Slash uses it a lot, too.

I don't think I've mentioned yet how much I love the use of the wah-wah pedal in EIDN. I've been a pushover for a well-placed wah-wah since Cream's White Room. Just the other day, right?

Me too! That's my favourite part, and of course the growling. :wub:

OK, I got to work at 8:15, now being told I have to attend a company dinner that doesn't start until 6:00 pm. Me thinks I will drive home at lunch and take my sweet time doing it, too. Maybe take the dog for a leisurely walk in the park or something. If you need me, you can find me venting in the Job Woes thread.

ETA: Laptops? Have had two Toshiba's. The first one died within 2 years of motherboard issues, but it was replaced under warranty with the second. It lived a good long life (5 yrs or so?) until the screen finally kicked the bucket earlier this year (but the rest of it was still going strong!). This time I opted for an HP, because price wise, it seemed to be the best deal for what it would give me (250 gb harddrive, 2 gb RAM, 1.9 GHz processer, plus better video drivers, etc, and a fire wire port). I don't think you can go wrong with either Toshiba or HP.

ETAA the processor speed. Very important.

I was perusing the AOL sessions website and ran across Three Doors Down (love the lead vocal guy's voice)...read this and found myself smiling...

AOL: Having done this now for ten years, are you finding you've developed that type of relationship with fans where you can put more different stuff out there and they'll respond to it?

BA: The longer that we've done this and the more songs that we've put out, we have really found that you can take a fan in a different direction that maybe originally they wouldn't have gone in. And you've seen artists do it over the years. I know it's off-the-wall-sounding, but one artist that really did that, Garth Brooks, started out one way and, through his records, he went a little different directions and people were willing to follow him once they were committed to his music. I know that's an awkward example, but it's really true. And I think you should always leave yourself a left turn and never really get a pigeonholed sound, because obviously that gets old and people are done with you. And you always try to outdo your last song. A goal that we've always had is to with our new record make people forget about our old one, and also we go by the rule that we never want our prior success to carry us anywhere. I want somebody to enjoy a 3 Doors Down song if they've never heard a 3 Doors Down song, and I always kind of keep that in the back of my mind when writing.

He was just on Regis and Kelly and said he was dating Kimberly Caldwell.

BWAH! :cryingwlaughter:

Why does this not surprise me. :glare:

Dating the new American Idol winner? Think there might be any camera time involved with that gig? :whistling-1:

Ah, Cooksy's got his first Fameho groupie... They grow up so fast. Can a bad break-up and a trip to rehab followed by a cathartic CD full of broken-heart songs be far behind?

It's a guitar special effect ... a foot pedal ... it goes "wah-wah" ...

It was popularized by Jimi Hendrix in Voodoo Child (Slight Return), Eric Clapton used it extensively with Cream and Blind Faith, and for me the most masterful use of it ever was by Stephen Stills (Super Session: Season of the Witch (near the end)). You hear it in a lot of funk songs, and Slash uses it a lot, too.

Runs off to Amazon.com mp3 site to download two versions of this from the Supersession album, the original, and the remix without horns: Super Session - Michael Bloomfield, Al Kooper, Stephen Stills . Each track 11 minutes long - Wahoo!! Jam!!

Dating the new American Idol winner? Think there might be any camera time involved with that gig? :whistling-1:

Ah, Cooksy's got his first Fameho groupie... They grow up so fast. Can a bad break-up and a trip to rehab followed by a cathartic CD full of broken-heart songs be far behind?

I like David Cook, but ..... KimberMEEEE?? Poor guy. I kind of wish I didn't know this bit of info.

And it comes from his appearance on Regis & KellMEEEE? I'm not rattled by all of the people who have made jokes about Clay. Most of it is written by other people anyway. But the one person who totally disgusts me as a human being is Kelly Ripa. I don't care if she's a good mother and a dog lover, I can't stand the sight or sound of the woman. In the time it takes for my brain to recognize her face or voice, I am either clicking the channel, or I'm out of the room. That much emotion about a TV person is unusual for me, but I can't tolerate two seconds of her. Or Howard Stern. And those two are friends. I feel the need to wash my hands after typing their names.

I'm glad I got that off my chest. :humor00239:

I like David Cook, but ..... KimberMEEEE?? Poor guy. I kind of wish I didn't know this bit of info.

And it comes from his appearance on Regis & KellMEEEE? I'm not rattled by all of the people who have made jokes about Clay. Most of it is written by other people anyway. But the one person who totally disgusts me as a human being is Kelly Ripa. I don't care if she's a good mother and a dog lover, I can't stand the sight or sound of the woman. In the time it takes for my brain to recognize her face or voice, I am either clicking the channel, or I'm out of the room. That much emotion about a TV person is unusual for me, but I can't tolerate two seconds of her. Or Howard Stern. And those two are friends. I feel the need to wash my hands after typing their names.

I'm glad I got that off my chest. :humor00239:

Trust me, kf, I would have never knowingly tuned in to watch Regis and Kelly. I can't stand her either, she makes my blood boil. . It was on the channel when I turned it on and they were asking him who he was dating.

What was funny is he said her name and then started to describe who she was as if no one would remember her. He said she was originally from Texas and had moved to LA to do some TV work and then he mentioned she had been an AI contestant years ago. :cryingwlaughter:

SAw this at the CH:

There are videos of Clay answering five questions, too!

Including:

Q&A:

What are your tour plans?

How is 'On My Way Here' different from your previous album?

What have you learned during the process of creating this album?

What is the difference between performing theatrically as opposed to...

How do you feel about using your celebrity to help people?

and.....

They are up- I searched by artist (Clay's under the C list) and there are five! "On My Way Here", Ashes, Where I Draw the Line, Something About Us.... and Everything I Don't need.

I want to see them NOW!! :cry4:

bwah! keepingfaith...Honey, I'm right there with your rant about Ripa and Stern...especially Ripa.

I was cleaning out my work inbox and came across one from a hotel contact. I'd told him I would be out of the office for some time so would have to postpone a phone meeting---had told him I was going to see Spamalot and Clay. This was part of his response...it tickled me!

That’s right you’re a, “Clayster” or some cute play on words similar to that?

CLAYSTER? :huh::blink:

:lmaosmiley-1:

Off to watch AOL! :clap:

Can someone please describe in great detail for those of us stuck in work hell?

He looks freakin' fantastic!! :hubbahubba: Hair is blonde and styled perfectly. Jeans fit well!!

Sounds really, really great!!! :clap: He's going to kill us all dead when we see these songs performed live!!

I'm in love. :lilredani:

ETA: Sorry, I suck at giving details. I'm more the "general impression" type. :imgtongue:

You can smack me later. :cryingwlaughter:

I see Heinz is lurking!!!

SAw this at the CH:

There are videos of Clay answering five questions, too!

Including:

Q&A:

What are your tour plans?

How is 'On My Way Here' different from your previous album?

What have you learned during the process of creating this album?

What is the difference between performing theatrically as opposed to...

How do you feel about using your celebrity to help people?

So.... what are his tour plans? Those of us in cubicle hell need to know that answer to that one, please. :lilredani:

So.... what are his tour plans? Those of us in cubicle hell need to know that answer to that one, please. :lilredani:

None at the moment, but you know he ain't going to tell us nothing about nothing until it's a done deal.

No tour plans at the moment...he needs a vacation! (And that's pretty much what he said too...)

I need to watch the interview clips again before I can do a detailed report....but I'm in the midst of watching the songs. My love for WITDL grows exponentially day by day.

Oh yeah...clothes report. Blond hair, looks good IMO -- but not too blond, because of the lighting. Jeans, boots, white shirt (with tails untucked), dark sweater and a tie. Can't see much of the tie to know what color it is....

No tour plans at the moment...he needs a vacation! (And that's pretty much what he said too...)

I need to watch the interview clips again before I can do a detailed report....but I'm in the midst of watching the songs. My love for WITDL grows exponentially day by day.

Oh yeah...clothes report. Blond hair, looks good IMO -- but not too blond, because of the lighting. Jeans, boots, white shirt (with tails untucked), dark sweater and a tie. Can't see much of the tie to know what color it is....

Just tell me the sweater is not argyle!

Nope, no argyle, it's a solid color sweater, either black or dark navy. He looks very preppy to me.

Made an interesting discovery about SAU -- for me, I think that's a song that needs to be heard LIVE. First the QVC performance, which made me fall in love with it, and now this one. The recorded version is great, but IMO there's something special about the song done live. Can't put my finger on it either.

The rest of the songs are all good too, although I did notice slight bobbles in each of the other songs, whereas I didn't in SAU. He still sounds damn good though.

*sigh*

Poor Claybee....voice cracked a few times, might have been struggling with a cold or something? But he sounds GREAT! And CMSU! At the end of EIDN, the ole' Aiken Random Lyric Generator had a go---he sang "Get outta my room, get outta my bed"...at the end as the music was fading...heh! He looked over at the girls and sorta shook his head like, 'Hell, I dunno why I sang that!?!??!" :cryingwlaughter:

Looks terrific! He does sorta look preppy...dark jeans, dark solid color sweater, white shirt tail hanging out in front, collar of shirt under neckline...and just the top part of the knot in the tie visible...

He didn't move a lot but his hands sure did. Those long fingers were doing their concerto on the mic stand, baby :hubbahubba: ...In fact, I hereby call for my next avie a gif of those tapping thumbs at the end of EIDN---the camera person knew what he/she was doing because while the music did its thing, the camera zoned in on Clay's hands gripping the mic stand and his long thumbs tapping in time to the beat. :Thud: THAT AVIE IS MINE, YOU HEAR!??!?! (as soon as someone is nice enough to capture those seconds in a gif for me.... :flirtysmile3:

I liked WIDTL more than I have before...I betcha live performances of all these songs are going to make me like them (even the borderline ones for me now) better!

Oh, and on Ashes...Q&A have been working on their background vocals, I think, because they sounded mucho, mucho better than they did on GMA! :yess:

And SOU, with him sitting on the stool and holding the mic? Pure beauty. I think he likes that song. :lilredani: