#33: Let's all chant "I think it can! I think it can! I think it can!"

FCA Thread Title  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What should the next thread title be at FCA?

• So, how about that Clay Aiken?
    • The guy is just endlessly fascinating, isn't he?
    • Artificial insemination, well at least we know he had a hand in it.
    • If you claim he's got titanium balls, why not let him use them?
    • I'm happy to let Clay do whatever he wants.
    • I have ears and a brain and a heart, and I like what OMWH does to them.
    • Magical Mercurial Music Maker!
    • Clay--still the one.
    • In general, his voice just DOES something good to me. It makes things seem...better, somehow.

So what is the total number Clay has sold of OMWH now?

We won't really know the numbers until tomorrow with Soundscan ... right? Clay's actuals have been better than the HDD Tuesday numbers. HDD had him at #22 last week, Billboard at #18:

Clay drops from No. 4 to No. 18 on the Billboard chart, selling 21,000, according to Nielsen SoundScan, for a two-week total of 115,000.

So he'll be around 130,000 total, at least.

He's not through by any means. BTW, while at Walmart on Saturday, the OMWH I bought was of the third separate batch (of 24 - 26 - 20) that I've bought at that one store. Also, the week before there were 8 MOAMS and 8 ATDWs -- and Saturday there was only 1 ATDW and 4 MOAMs left, but a whole new stock of OMWH!!

If some of the asshat critics could have seen Sessions I wonder if their snotty remarks would have been different....

Oh, absolutely...their comments would've focused on his hair instead of the lyrics. :glare:

:cryingwlaughter:

Wonder what caused the big Daughtry surge (gag me...that does NOT sound right)... The CMA were last week, weren't they? Never mind---some country artists went up, others down--so that means nuttin.

Carrie Underwood continues to sell--she's pretty, has a great bod, sings well and is comfortably ensconced in a very lucrative musical genre/niche. Seems that 'country' these days almost always means 'crossover artists', so they sell well---show up on many different radio formats...

Actually, I'd kinda get a kick out of a Clay song getting play and cred among country formats...hee!

I'm enjoying verra, verra much Clay singing EIDN for me. Funny, as I watch him on these sessions songs, I want to say what Pauler did (YIKES!)--how she was just waiting for him to...break out! bust a move! get his groove thang on! He did seem so restrained...

CLAY AIKEN NEEDS A CONCERT VIDEO MADE, DEMMIT!

Actually, I'd kinda get a kick out of a Clay song getting play and cred among country formats...hee!

I have a feeling that Clay Aiken will be played on Urban/Rap Radio before Country Radio would play him. He doesn't guzzle beer, chew tobacco, go to honky tonks, drive a truck, marry movie stars, and his mama ain't in jail! And you know what I'm singing in my head .... you don't have to call me darlin', dar-lin' ...

How does that go?

I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison

And I went to pick her up, in the rain

But before I could get there in my pick-up truck

She got runned over by a danged old train ....

The Popeater blog on AOL has a new (short) article on Clay. I totally understand his sentiment, and admire him for it. At the same time, he might have a hard time living this down -- even with his fans.

Clay Aiken Says He Isn't a Musician

Clay Aiken Says He Isn't a Musician

Posted May 27th 2008 5:00PM by Christina Lang

Filed under: Sessions

"I don't really consider myself a musician so much as I consider myself just an entertainer," says the man who finished second on 'American Idol,' sold millions of records and now stars in the hit Broadway musical 'Spamalot,' when he stopped by the AOL Studios for his Sessions taping. Clay Aiken knows his place in the entertainment pantheon and he's just fine with it, thank you very much.

Besides (not) being a musician, Aiken has also taken an active role with several charities. Uniting the "Claymates" in an effort to support autistic children, Aiken and his good friend Diane Bubel formed the Bubel/Aiken Foundation to support mainstreaming autistic children into the classrooms, play groups and other normal day-to-day activities for children.

The benevolent Aiken took time out from his busy schedule to perform five tracks and talk with AOL Music about his first studio album in two years and more.

YSRN at getclayaiken says this is somewhere on the AOL site, but for the life of me, I can't find it! Anyway...here's the actual question:

AOL: Was there a moment where you realized that, OK, this is what I do, now I'm a musician?

CA: No, because I still don't consider myself ... gosh, I'll probably get in trouble for saying this, but I don't really consider myself a musician so much as I consider myself just an entertainer, and one of the things I do is sing. And I know that's probably the thing I'm most known for and that's perfectly fine because I love to do it. It's interesting: I surround myself with the people who I work with in the band and they're constantly in rehearsals saying, "Oh, let's try it with this sound" or "I want an A-minor-7th" or whatever -- I don't know what that means! So I'm constantly baffled and feel a little humbled by the fact that they're musicians to me, and I'm a singer -- I think there's a big difference.

Seen in that context, it works. Unfortunately, I'm afraid most people won't look for the context.

Huh...it never crossed my mind that he would think he was a musician...which, to me, means playing musical instruments period, just like it wouldn't occur to me to assume a musician is a singer. I don't think of Sinatra or Mahalia Jackson or Celine Dion as musicians - never have. Kenny G, yes. Just very different skill sets, like painting vs. sculpture vs. musician vs. singer...all under the umbrella "artists" though.

I read that on AOL and immediately cringed...not because he said it or because of WHAT he said, but because I KNOW it'll be taken out of context and used in shitty blurbs and headlines and blogs, etc. That man's honesty is too much for this bullshit world, you know?

BTW...just listening to WIDTL again and....he was really struggling with this one, I think. He killed on the glory note, but I actually heard him falling a big flat on some of the notes and he did choose a lower note here and there from the recorded version...Bless his heart...He still sounds good; it's just odd for me to ever HEAR him not hit notes dead on!

Okay...one more time for SOU while I straighten my desk and then I'm outta here.... :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Cha Cha - you sweetheart! I haven't actually heard the full song in years. (ack - kind of reminds me of studying for a Business Law final, actually!)

I can understand Clay saying he isn't a musician. Especially since we know he hasn't had any formal training. I remember way back when we all wondered if he could read music! Hmmm- I wonder if he can or if he just memorizes the melody and has to look at the words. Seems like we've seen him with sheet music on the stand in front of him though!

Love that the Aiken Random Lyric Generator is alive and well!!! Some things never change!!!

I do think his songs get better and better the more he performs them. EIDN will probably kill us all in concert.......

I loved that one shot where they focussed on his hands keeping the beat.....

The whole AOL Sessions package just seems like a classy and sophisticated set-up. I love the multiple camera angles. It looks like a good deal of money went into this effort. I hope it makes the rounds beyond the Clay Nation.

[Looks sideways at the Yahoo video and mutters: "See, this is how to present Clay and the OMWH songs".... <_< ]

The numbers look decent this week. :nana: Fingers crossed that a few more new appearances and whatnot pop up in the next week or so, after the American Idol hoopla / David Cook victory lap runs its course.

Whew... caught up and just in time to go home. :cryingwlaughter: My pc froze Sunday afternoon, so it is in the pc hospital, so I have to keep up at work until it gets back home, hopefully totally well without costing me enough for a new computer.

Muski, you're killing me. For some reason that reminds me of an 80's Bill Hicks' bit about positive stories on the news. He suggested something like this:

And today in Austin a young man realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration and that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death; life is only a dream; and we are all the imagination of ourselves. Here’s Tom with the weather.

keeping... they knew the truth that far back??? Wow!!! :cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

I have to say I almost wish I hadn't bought the QVC thing. I could have bought 3 Best Buy OMWH for the price. I wanted a DVD that would play on my big tv - in my DVD player.

Me too - and if it wouldn't hurt Clay's sales, I would return it. I have WINY now and you can return anything up to 30 days of receipt for any reason without questions.

CG... have you tried calling QVC and finding out who you could call about opening it on a Mac? They might actually be able to help... I know it's a long shot, but what the hey! :cryingwlaughter:

He was just on Regis and Kelly and said he was dating Kimberly Caldwell.

BWAH! :cryingwlaughter:

Why does this not surprise me. :glare:

Dating the new American Idol winner? Think there might be any camera time involved with that gig? :whistling-1:

Ah, Cooksy's got his first Fameho groupie... They grow up so fast. Can a bad break-up and a trip to rehab followed by a cathartic CD full of broken-heart songs be far behind?

bottle... muski... BWAH!!! I wonder how long before he sees her true colors?

I am still very much loving this cd and finding new stuff to love all the time. Fave at this time is FIEKY as #1 and ALAWH as #2 with WIDTL and EIDN and Ashes following right along behind. There isn't one I dislike.

Huh...it never crossed my mind that he would think he was a musician...which, to me, means playing musical instruments period, just like it wouldn't occur to me to assume a musician is a singer. I don't think of Sinatra or Mahalia Jackson or Celine Dion as musicians - never have. Kenny G, yes. Just very different skill sets, like painting vs. sculpture vs. musician vs. singer...all under the umbrella "artists" though.

Agreed.

I think if he sings SAU in concert, I'll be dead. But I will have died happy! :dead-1:

Just got home and sped off to watch the AOL Sessions.

Oh.... SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

:flirtysmile3: :flirtysmile3: :flirtysmile3:

<-----said the broken record

:wub:

---

Thanks chacha for the opportunity to revisit Vern on youtube right after that. Always good to hear "the voice" again. But man...talk about someone who was 100% talented who would not have stood a chance in the music world of today. Good thing he had his time.

As KAndre said, I never think of singers as musicians unless they play an instrument. I don't think of musicians as singers unless they, you know, sing. In my book, Clay is NOT a musician. He is a singer - and so much more!

Just watched the AOL Sessions. Were his feet nailed to the floor? Was he holding on to the mic stand for dear life? After seeing him at QVC so stationary and then here I have to wonder did he forget how to move if it isn't blocked or choreographed??? Seems weird! And yeah, his voice was rough in spots and I noticed he didn't use his range as much as he did on the CD on some of the songs - especially WIDTL.

I did, however, think his voice was sublime on SAU. That song to me is pure seduction!!!!!!! :DoClay:

I thought he sounded good on the others but thought EIDN and WIDTL seemed to drag a bit in tempo compared to the CD. However, if I had never heard the songs on the CD I doubt it would have mattered.

What is it about AOL Sessions that makes Clay's voice a bit ragged? Remember MOAM AOL Sessions? He sounded very rough then, too - especially on the song MOAM!

The more I think about, the more I think IF there is to be a second single (which IMO will only happen if OMWH gets some degree of success on the radio), I think WIDTL would be a great choice. Its uptempo with a touch of country, which seems to be a popular sound these days. I just don't see EIDN going over all that well and while Ashes sounds good, I just don't like it as much as WIDTL.

As to the order of the songs - it alphabetical except for WIDTL. Do you think maybe someone at AOL thought it was called I Draw the Line instead of Where I Draw the Line??

Does anyone watch these except the fans?

Damn. Thunder rumbling. Guess I will have to turn the computer off for awhile. I want to go back and watch Clay seduce me again with SAU!!!!!

Just watched the AOL Sessions. Were his feet nailed to the floor? Was he holding on to the mic stand for dear life? After seeing him at QVC so stationary and then here I have to wonder did he forget how to move if it isn't blocked or choreographed???

My ponderings, too....C'mon, Clay! Rawk that thang! Grab the mic stand and tilt it when you growl to EIDN! Do SOMEthing! He seems so detached from the songs...wonder what's goin' on?

Maybe he had a Sex Hangover :hubbahubba: ....heh....yeah. That's it. He had a night of unparalleled HAWT SEX and was plum worn out, poor man.... :hubbahubba: His THANG got over-RAWKED!

Well, I'm not going to pick apart Sessions. I enjoyed every minute. I think it is "live" and he doesn't have the benefit of do-overs...much like in concert!

And the man has the most beautiful profile......just saying.

I guess I am willing to give Clay a break on his voice cracking and not moving around so much; voice is probably a little ragged and Lord knows, the man was probably exhausted from Spamalot and then going right into promotion. I think he always is more relaxed singing in front of an audience as opposed to a studio.

Kim

I figured out a way to save the TITN video as a flash video...... does anyone know how to burn that onto a DVD? Does that work???

Here are a couple of quick wallpapers..... I might try to get a little more creative after I think about it some more!!

WP1024x768-sm.jpg

WP1440x900-sm.jpg

There are full-sized 1024x768 and 1440x900 HERE.

Geez, guess I'll go listen again, I thought he sounded great. I wasn't bothered that he didn't move around, he wasn't singing in front of a crowd. I haven't listened to SAU yet, but I thought all of the others sounded really good, and you know what? He was CUTE!

I figured out a way to save the TITN video as a flash video...... does anyone know how to burn that onto a DVD? Does that work???

Here are a couple of quick wallpapers..... I might try to get a little more creative after I think about it some more!!

WP1024x768-sm.jpg

WP1440x900-sm.jpg

There are full-sized 1024x768 and 1440x900 HERE.

That's a whole lotta pretty! :flirtysmile3: Thanks, cha cha! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

WOO HOO - new background! Thanks ChaCha. LOVE that mans' profile..... oh, did I already say that?

I honestly think that Clay feeds off of an audience. He IS an entertainer in every sense of the word. To just stand in a studio with only a few dozen folks around probably doesn't generate the energy that he usually responds to. But I can't stop watching Sessions.

Speaking of the Randon Lyrics Generator.... I noticed that he switched the words "broken" and "frozen" on "Ashes!"

Yep, and I would swear that on each line "I've tried so hard to get who you are" on EIDN, he says "You've tried so hard...." :cryingwlaughter: Anyone else?

Poor baby- I think his throat needs some coddling- I'll be more than happy to go soothe it for him! :hubbahubba:

He looked gorgeous, and my favorite of the bunch was definitely SAU- just beautiful!

I didn't think anything of him saying he's not a musician- don't even really get why it would be an issue?

Thanks for the lovely pics and wallpapers cha cha- I'm going to have to e-mail them to myself at work so that I can change my wallpaper! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Just got home and watched the Sessions videos!! I loved them and I didn't notice scratchy or non-mobile Clay! I just don't care about stuff like that...it's Clay Clack and it's all mine. Well Ok I'll let you watch if you promise not to mess up the screens with your drool! :naughtywag:

That is just one hot hunk o' man! :hubbahubba:

And he is so cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!