#33: Let's all chant "I think it can! I think it can! I think it can!"

FCA Thread Title  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What should the next thread title be at FCA?

• So, how about that Clay Aiken?
    • The guy is just endlessly fascinating, isn't he?
    • Artificial insemination, well at least we know he had a hand in it.
    • If you claim he's got titanium balls, why not let him use them?
    • I'm happy to let Clay do whatever he wants.
    • I have ears and a brain and a heart, and I like what OMWH does to them.
    • Magical Mercurial Music Maker!
    • Clay--still the one.
    • In general, his voice just DOES something good to me. It makes things seem...better, somehow.

you guys are cracking me up..I'm so enjoying catching up.

Tijala... the words to all the Spam songs keep rolling out in my head. They just seem to fit so many of life's scenarios.

*Hums...Always Look On The Bright Side of Life* :whistling-1:

indeed!!

Two things I know for certain. John works too hard. And he doesn't know that Clay's run in Spamalot is over. I know this because I got the 3rd degree about what plays we might see when we are there.

this cracked me up. I must admit most of my traveling over the past few years has to do with Clay. It's odd to have the year clear (so far)...we're supposed to go to Hawaii but if it were up to me I'd probably just do nothing and save save save. I should have a free airline ticket by the time Clay tours again so that will make things easier.

KAndre immediately opens up Excel and starts entering a variety of TOTALLY unfair situations starting about 47 years ago...

BWAH... only you KAndre..I can see everyone scrambling to use this on their kids but you are using it for yourself! heee.

And... shhhh... don't tell my kids about that speadsheet! My oldest will be 40 next week (takes a moment to deny that this is happening) and still brings stuff up that was unfair. Did you know that I ruined her life cause I made her go to bed at 8:30pm and therefore she missed half of the $6MM Man/Bionic Woman shows when all her friends got to see the whole show??? Horrific!!!

yeah it's amazing isn't it how people see their own lives compared to how you see their lives heee. My sister still claims she was left out of stuff while I say she had it so easy and got everything she ever wanted. Yeah I still remember not being able to do things because I had to pick her up from kindegarten. You don't hear me whining about it :cryingwlaughter:

Waves to jenna, Gloch, Jazzgirl!

My favorite right now is EIDN. The one I care less for is Falling. Maybe it will grow on me also. Angsty songs are what I mostly hear on the radio on the rare occasion that I listen to radio. I mostly listen to CDs. IMO I think EIDN would do well on radio if given a chance. I like angsty songs. Most of them I can relate to. Guess that says a lot about me? I do love The Real Me. Usually it brings tears to my eyes because it reminds me of how certain parts of Clay's book made me feel, and I can relate it to what I know about what Clay has gone through.

If I could go back in time to attend a concert I missed, and I'm talking other than all the Clay concerts I missed and especially Solo and JBT concerts, then hands down this is it … The Band’s Last Waltz at Winterland:

keepingfaith

Thanks for the links to some of the songs from The Last Waltz.

I remember coming out of the theatre after seeing this movie with my girlfriend and both of us swooning over Robbie. Oh to have been there in Winterland for that concert which came complete with Thanksgiving dinner. 3 or 4 years ago I bought the DVD of the concert. I think it's time to watch it again.

And the closer. Kareneh, aren’t you the one who shares my passion for this song? I think Martin Scorcese directed this video too. Back in the summer of 87 (88?) I thought this was the sexiest song ever. I think it still may be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ3LOu9IK7Y...feature=related

Oh yes.

ETA: I could always be and often am wrong ... but I don't see Clay sharing the stage, opening for, or co-headlining with anybody. He's got a fanbase and I think he'd play smaller venues so his name would be on the ticket. I think Clay likes to treat his fans as if they were sitting in his classroom and he can be Teacher Clay. He's really good at it, too.

I agree with this too....but I think a lot of it has to do with that fanbase. I almost hate bringing up the "expanding his fanbase" thing, because it's been talked to death so many times at other places (usually in conjunction, IMO, with "Clay would then be cool"), but if he did work with another artist, there is the potential for just that. So....I guess I'll say that I want Clay AND HIS TEAM to decide what kinds of venues to play, whether to work with someone else....in other words, let him control his career!

That got me to wondering. Has your opinion of the CD changed since the first few times you heard it? Has your favorite songs changed? Are you tired of it? Do you find yourself skipping some of the songs now that you wouldn't have before? Are the lyrics beginning to get to you?

Three weeks later, what do you think of OMWH?

I still love the shiznit out of it, but I do think my favorite songs have changed a bit. Like you CG, I fell totally for the timeless feel of SAU, but that has fallen a bit on my list. And Iseeme, I'm almost the total opposite of you -- Sacrificial Love and The Real Me are good songs, but I simply LOVE WOTW (I seemingly must be the only one who likes that song...*g*). GOG didn't catch me at first -- but I've found myself waking up to that song in my head the past few mornings.

But I see my twin has picked up on MY personal favorite song at the moment on the album:

Regarding lyrics, the only line that bugs me is "around my heart is where I draw the line" -- because wouldn't that be a circle, or an oval? Regardless I LOVE that song. And when he sings, "Either you're gonna rescue me, or you're gonna be the death of me" -- well I can't get enough of that.

Best. Line. Ever.

I have fallen HARD for WIDTL, and really, really, really want it to be the next single. I think the lyrics are straightforward, and the theme of being scared of opening your heart again is one that many can identify with. I think the music is moody, and yet, has a great catchy hook. It's even got a great glory note in it.

Of course, my thinking it should be the next single really has nothing to do with it. I mean, I wanted Perfect Day and Here You Come Again to be second singles....*sigh*

I was thinking too, that we should have another listening party for OMWH in a few weeks. It would give us a chance to follow up from a few weeks ago with our thoughts.

I am still loving the album and the variety of sounds on it. Frankly, I'm a little surprised Clay hasn't gotten dinged for OMWH being too eclectic, instead of just straight up pop. He gets to demonstrate his jazz chops, be a little bluesy, croon and whatnot.

And then there are those little panting noises after each of the "Falling"s at 2:24 and 2:27 that just about make me drop over dead every time I hear them. Have mercy.... :hubbahubba:

I guess if it's necessary to have one's own opinion about what sounds good validated by someone with a byline, a blog, a penis, a Master's Degree in English, or who is too young to legally buy beer, one might be disappointed in OMWH.

Eh, whatever. I have ears and a brain and a heart, and I like what OMWH does to them.

And I really, really like what the K-Mart poster does to some other parts of my anatomy. It's verra, verra niiiiiccccceeeeee. :blush:

But I see my twin has picked up on MY personal favorite song at the moment on the album

It seems quite natural that we share a passion for WOTW as well as WIDTL. I can't understand people thinking it's a depressing song. I think it's only depressing if you'd rather carry the weight of the world. I find it to be liberating, myself.

Desertrose, I don't bop around to Falling or Ashes, but I crank up EIDN and it moves my body. LOVE IT!

I haven't ventured elsewhere in a few days now and probably won't. The mob mentality of some of the other boards just irritates the snot out of me. The holier-than-thou attitudes and the assumed importance of un-educated opinions is just too much. Sometimes it's quite a challenge to find where these folks think they are fans or are doing Clay a favor.

WORD. Just wanted to read it again. *g* I've peeked out a few times lately but my blood starts to boil so I just shut it back down again. Funny how blame always has to be assigned for everything.....the current thing is the "poor" sales....but when it starts getting assigned to Clay, I'm outta there before I say something I will regret.

If it's possible, I love the CD more today than the day we got it. My favourites shift daily. Today I actually found myself needing to hit repeat for Grace of God because a lyric that I heard really caught my ear and I hadn't paid much attention to it before...."Feels like I'm watching from the side lines, where nothing ever changed, just the truth got rearranged". Love it! This song just resonates with me...don't care if the lyrics are "cliche" or "trite".

Hee, couchie, have fun catching up! :)

I am still loving the album and the variety of sounds on it. Frankly, I'm a little surprised Clay hasn't gotten dinged for OMWH being too eclectic, instead of just straight up pop. He gets to demonstrate his jazz chops, be a little bluesy, croon and whatnot.

And then there are those little panting noises after each of the "Falling"s at 2:24 and 2:27 that just about make me drop over dead every time I hear them. Have mercy.... :hubbahubba:

I guess if it's necessary to have one's own opinion about what sounds good validated by someone with a byline, a blog, a penis, a Master's Degree in English, or who is too young to legally buy beer, one might be disappointed in OMWH.

Eh, whatever. I have ears and a brain and a heart, and I like what OMWH does to them.

:word: And I'd add to that list in bold, the sales figures, which is what really caused all the criticism to kick in. Because you know if it doesn't sell enough, there must be something wrong with it.

My feelings haven't changed at all about the album; if anything I love it more. I used to skip OMWH, but now I don't. I love WOTW (waved at ldyjocelyn) "un-break-able...don't you wish you were." I love SAU more than I did at first, which was a lot. I think it's a little gem. Still having an affair with EIDN and "well well".

Another listening party is a good idea.

LOVE this!!! Thread title???

***Rushes off to listen to Clay panting and all the images it conjures.......***

Ok, so I'm slow. I just got around to listening to the QVC bonuses (by the way, I had no problem importing them into iTunes. I popped in the CD, iTunes came up and I imported them!). OK, I always hated the song WINY but damn! I LOVE the way Clay sings it. I love the arrangement and the guitar work and the jazzy, soulful feel to it. Damn! This song would not have fit MOAM but I wish they had put it on ATDW! Dear God its sexy!!!

Back to the regular version of OMWH, I forgot to mention how in love I am with BOTH bonus songs. I dearly love my Muppet song!!!! LOVE IT!!!!!!!!! ADORE it!!! Think his voice is sublime on it and it makes me feel good!!!! I think it would make a great encore song in concert. We could all break out our Bic lighters and sway!!!

And what can I say about FIEKY. Damn that is a great song! I do wish it were more than a Walmart bonus track. Like others I found myself compromising my principles to buy another copy of OMWH at Walmart to send my friend because I wanted her to hear that song!

I really like WIDTL too. I surprised myself by liking it from first listen because I didn't at QVC. I also think it would be great 2nd single - if there is one. Its uptempo but not "trying" to be too rockin' - and an added benefit might be that it possibly could cross-over to country.

I love listening to this album on shuffle because you never know what unexpected pleasure is next!

bottlecap wrote:

Yeah, that!

I am too lazy to go back and see who mentioned going to more musicals than concerts when they were younger (sorry) but realized, that was me too. I never made it to Broadway until this year (Thank you, Clay Aiken! :F_05BL17blowkiss: ) but I got to see some pretty good touring companies. I still remember watching Jesus Christ Superstar with Ben Vereen, and a production of Hair too. (so, I wasn't looking at everyone's face all the time, but I know he was in there)

Perfect Day - one of my favorites from MOAM!!! I loved watching Clay sing that in concert. Forgot to mention that I also really like As Long As We're Here. Probably because I love the story of Clay finding the song and Jaynes finding the song independently and thinking it would be a good song for him. It does sound like a "Clay Aiken" song - although I don't know that Clay honestly has a total sound yet. Everyone always talks about the glory notes and the ballads but other than specific songs, I don't think of him as just a glory-note guy! But - having said that - after listening to O Holy Night about a bazillion times, I think Clay throttles his voice ALOT!! Because when he really airs it out it there is tremendous power and control!!!! Another example is YWSOB. Holy crap! And he hits those notes so effortlessly.

Musicals - have been to alot of them. Used to do business trips to NY and would plan them around ticket availability! Les Mis, Phantom, Smoky Joe's Cafe, Cats, Miss Saigon. A Chorus Line....... And then living near San Francisco made it easy to see the traveling tours.... The same g-daughter that played with a flashlight thru Blues Clues watched Cats and then Lion King a few years later without saying one word. She loved them both! We always tried to get the first row in the mezzanine so she could see (she's kind of tiny!)

Didn't Clay say in some interview that he hoped this CD had something for everybody? Just read our posts and which songs are our favorites and which aren't so favorite and it would appear that he's accomplished that.

I'm disappointed in sales only because I don't want this CD to fade into oblivion. I understand about sales being down all over, etc. I also don't want him to get discouraged. I don't know if that's possible, but I still feel like this is his best effort yet. I have wondered if timing the release around the completion of AI7 was maybe not a good idea since people just wanted to talk to him about AI. God, who knows!!!!! I just don't want him to ever stop performing.

That got me to wondering. Has your opinion of the CD changed since the first few times you heard it? Has your favorite songs changed? Are you tired of it? Do you find yourself skipping some of the songs now that you wouldn't have before? Are the lyrics beginning to get to you?

Three weeks later, what do you think of OMWH?

I'm still really enjoying this CD - not even close to being tired of it. It's finally nice around here weatherwise and I've been driving around with the windows open, CD blasting, wind blowing my hair, and having a great time! I'm sure there are those who will feel my tastes are predestrian because I don't analyze the lyrics, the production, who the musicians are, etc., etc. I just know what I like to listen to and what makes me feel good... and this CD makes me feel great! My favorites are all over the place... The songs I repeat change frequently depending on my mood... There isn't one that I skip (although I'm playing a Walmart version in the car so I don't have the iTunes bonus song or the QVC stuff). I like them all and the only opinion that really matters to me is mine. :)

I haven't ventured elsewhere in a few days now and probably won't. The mob mentality of some of the other boards just irritates the snot out of me. The holier-than-thou attitudes and the assumed importance of un-educated opinions is just too much. Sometimes it's quite a challenge to find where these folks think they are fans or are doing Clay a favor.

Yes, it took me some time, but I've learned who's (whose?) posts to scroll past. Too bad some of them don't realize they sound like broken records repeating their chant ad nauseum... at this point, all I hear is the teacher's voice from Charlie Brown when they post... whatever.

Me too.

So checking/reading some of these boards is like running your tongue over a sore tooth? You can't stop doing it, but it doesn't feel good.

Yeah, good analogy... sometimes it IS hard to turn away from it even when it bugs you... I really need to get over that.

First concerts? Well, the very first one is kind of embarrassing......it was in the days when we used to be able to enjoy free concerts under the tent at Ontario Place in Toronto. It was KC and the Sunshine Band,but hey, at least I didn't pay for it. ;)

Ok was reading along, enjoying myself when I came upon THIS travesty. I'll have you know this is one of my first concerts too..saw them at some amusement park..can't remember if it was our local Great America or my grad night at Disneyland... but I LOVED THEM. That's the way uh uh I like it uh uh. What's so embarassing about that I ask? And there's nothing better than that classic song, Shake your Booty! Be Proud!

Carry on.

So checking/reading some of these boards is like running your tongue over a sore tooth? You can't stop doing it, but it doesn't feel good.

Wish I'd read this post 1/2 hour ago. I shut down one board already today as it was beginning to work my last nerve (see what happens when I'm not working- too much time on my hands.....), but read too much on another one and had my say. Still waiting for the greenlining to commence! :cryingwlaughter: (Yep, it's happened- please don't post your opinion-others may post theirs, but yours are not wanted. Yeah, whatever!)

I play this CD almost every day, and still love it! I find that the songs I liked after the first listen or two are STILL the ones I like the best- SL, TRM, SAU, WIDTL, and I LOVE FIEKY!! The more up=tempo songs are probably my least favorites on the CD- it's not that I dislike any of them, but I also don't repeat them either. It's why I always say WTF whenever one of the "experts" on one of the boards decries OMWH being the first single in favor of one of the up-tempos, and acts as if everyone in the listeneing audience would feel the same way- uh, no!

I would never seek my 14 year old son's input on anything Clay, as he is on the "I'm too cool to like Clay Aiken" bandwagon, but I've been chauferring him and his best friend around the last couple of days, with OMWH blaring in the car. and they've actually been pretty quiet listening to it- and I've even caught them quietly singing along once or twice.

And why do people say that something sounds like "a Clay Aiken song" like its a bad thing, like its an insult? And I'm not talking about the critics. I'm talking about the fans. I get that some songs are more like songs you expect from Clay and some are not, but that's not what a few I am reading are saying. They are saying it as criticism. Yet they also want Clay to define his musical direction!

I truly would like someone to explain why sounding like a Clay Aiken song is a bad thing. Don't we like Clay Aiken songs? Isn't that why we're here??

Tijala... the words to all the Spam songs keep rolling out in my head. They just seem to fit so many of life's scenarios.

*Hums...Always Look On The Bright Side of Life* :whistling-1:

indeed!!

Yes! I've got this stange - yet not! - mix of Spam & OMWH running on a continuous loop in my head lately. Then my mom called this afternoon to tell me she was missing Spam and was wishing we'd gone to see the traveling production when it was is Dayton a few weeks back.

LOVE this!!! Thread title???

I second this!

I'm still enjoying OMWH immensely. EEEEEEEEEEE for others feeling the WIDTL love! I honestly can't pick favorites - they change all the time - but that one is up there. And I'm still trying to figure out just how this album has managed to get so engrained in my heart & head, to the point that I find myself singing a different song from it everyday! But I might as well give up. Just like a lot of other things, when it comes to Clay, they just are. No explanation necessary. :wub:

What I love most is that he did such a good job picking a variety of song styles. While I dearly love MOAM, I remember being a bit disappointed because the songs seemed to run together for me. Now Clay singing them live is a different story! I can't wait to see him in concert with THESE songs!!! *Gets out spiral notebook and writes "I will be patient" 500 times*

Just got my GD down for a nap and wanted catch up here a bit...writing from my phone. It would take me forever to reply to all the good stuff, so I'll have to wait until I get home. However, the Partridge Family posts seriously made me smile...so many good memories. More later...hope everyone is having a good day.

CG - I didn't mean "sounds like a Clay Aiken song" as a bad thing - if you were commenting on my post! When I think of a "Clay Aiken" song I think of a melody that he can wrap that voice around - that has power notes and soft notes and the occasional growl! Something with decent lyrics usually a song that not all so-called "singers" can deliver! I'm guessing that when Jaynes found that song she was thinking along the same lines maybe?

And why do people say that something sounds like "a Clay Aiken song" like its a bad thing, like its an insult? And I'm not talking about the critics. I'm talking about the fans. I get that some songs are more like songs you expect from Clay and some are not, but that's not what a few I am reading are saying. They are saying it as criticism. Yet they also want Clay to define his musical direction!

I truly would like someone to explain why sounding like a Clay Aiken song is a bad thing. Don't we like Clay Aiken songs? Isn't that why we're here??

Because there are those who still want Clay to become the "rock stah" that they've envisioned him to be, and they think that because it's what they want, that it is what everyone else should want as well. We know from concerts that Clay CAN rock out with the best of them, but I don't believe that'll ever be his primary focus, and to me, although I love those kinds of songs in a concert setting, they don't showcase Clay's voice as much as the slower, more ballad-y songs. There are probably a lot of people out there who could sing "Falling", but not nearly as many who could credibly sing "Something About Us", if you know what I mean.

Waves to Rhody...

on the topic of Clay being an opening act or co-headliner I'm all for it. I don't consider it a step down at all. I mean if he can only go in one direction then he will close himself off to some wonderful opportunities and frankly stopped touring years ago. That's one of the things I loved about Spam. He wasn't the "star." He was part of an ensemble and there's nothing wrong with that. If he has to co-headline to get more people into his shows then so be it. I would prefer NO IDOLS because I think that's the only place the stupid competition would come in. I am not into pop music so have no idea who he would fit with. As for him opening for someone? Hey, it's a great way to be heard by people who might not pay to see him otherwise and I think Clay could do a great job of converting those folks who came to see that other guy/gal. I honestly don't care how the fandom would react to it... I think it would be good for Clay's career and he comes first.

There's always this feeling that people were hanging on to Clay's coat tails. Well I have no problem with Clay cashing in to somebody else's strengths and have long advocating a duet with a radio darling as a way for him to break in. Somebody totally unexpected like Christina Aguilara or a freakin' rapper.

CG - I didn't mean "sounds like a Clay Aiken song" as a bad thing - if you were commenting on my post! When I think of a "Clay Aiken" song I think of a melody that he can wrap that voice around - that has power notes and soft notes and the occasional growl! Something with decent lyrics usually a song that not all so-called "singers" can deliver! I'm guessing that when Jaynes found that song she was thinking along the same lines maybe?

Definitely didn't mean your post!! But I have heard this comment used elsewhere as a bad thing, as a criticism, and it has always confused me! For example, I read the other day someone saying they thought OMWH was a bad choice for the first single because it sounded like a Clay Aiken song! And that's a bad thing why???

Had to bring this very pretty wallpaper over from Betty897X at the CH:

OMWHAlbumback_ldb51_wallpaper.jpg

Because there are those who still want Clay to become the "rock stah" that they've envisioned him to be, and they think that because it's what they want, that it is what everyone else should want as well. We know from concerts that Clay CAN rock out with the best of them, but I don't believe that'll ever be his primary focus, and to me, although I love those kinds of songs in a concert setting, they don't showcase Clay's voice as much as the slower, more ballad-y songs. There are probably a lot of people out there who could sing "Falling", but not nearly as many who could credibly sing "Something About Us", if you know what I mean.

I also think that "they" think he can't be cool or popular or acceptable if he's singing Clay Aiken songs... People have a vision of who they want him to be and singing Clay Aiken songs isn't it... And I think that for the most part, they want everyone to like him, to see what we see and I just don't find that realistic. Hell, I don't like everyone else out there who are cool and popular so why would I expect that everyone will like Clay? I'd rather he sing what he wants to, what he's comfortable with and let the chips fall where they may...

I have been thinking about this and I really don't want Clay to open for anyone. He's been a headliner since Kelly even though the venues haven't been arenas. In a way I do think it would be a come-down and would only refuel the already existing "Clay's career is over" fires. I think it would be the shot heard round the world in the fandom if they paid to see a concert and Clay sang 5 songs!!! Honestly. People would absolutely freak! I can't think of anyone off the top of my head that him opening for would be a really good thing. Co-headlining, maybe! And definitely no one from Idol. Ugh. NO ONE from Idol.

What will expand his fanbase, IMO, is a CD that is heard everywhere - probably including radio. Since that doesn't seem to be his focus than I guess maybe a TV special (oh yeah!) a talk-show gig during someone's vacation (Jimmy, are you listening?) or for somehow the critics to embrace him instead of going for his throat all the time. I do think the venues last summer that had subscriptions brought in some people that may not have gone to see him otherwise. But I guess we have no real way of knowing that. The Indian casinos in the desert in California two steps from Mexico? Nope. Didn't understand that but...... Would love to see him get a gig at one of the Casinos in Tahoe like Harrahs or one of them....kind of like Atlantic City. Large venues, alot of publicity....scads of people!

Last time I checked, however, TC was not calling for my advice! :cryingwlaughter:

Exactly! LOL. But I am learning to close the window when I see red, instead of posting, which only stirs things up and makes the situation worse. Baby steps.

Off to the baseball diamond again!