#33: Let's all chant "I think it can! I think it can! I think it can!"

FCA Thread Title  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What should the next thread title be at FCA?

• So, how about that Clay Aiken?
    • The guy is just endlessly fascinating, isn't he?
    • Artificial insemination, well at least we know he had a hand in it.
    • If you claim he's got titanium balls, why not let him use them?
    • I'm happy to let Clay do whatever he wants.
    • I have ears and a brain and a heart, and I like what OMWH does to them.
    • Magical Mercurial Music Maker!
    • Clay--still the one.
    • In general, his voice just DOES something good to me. It makes things seem...better, somehow.

I did go see Jesus Christ Superstar and Godspell in London!

I think I've seen more plays than concerts in my life!

*gasps* You saw David Essex in Godspell???!!! Post some more details! He was wonderful as Che in Evita (better than Mandy Patinkin whom I would have ordinarily called the best); that natural growly quality to his voice just kills!

!

I DO remember seeing Sting in Greensboro :hubbahubba: That man is nice through binocs! Joss Stone was supposed to be the opening act but she was ill. One of Sting's guitarist pinch hit for her. It was pretty cool.

Cotton, I'll bet the guitarist was Dominic Miller. I mentioned him a few days ago. He played for 15 minutes between Annie Lennox and Sting when I saw them a few years ago. He's the one who played bass guitar on OMWH. I went out and bought his CD the next day. He's apparently been with Sting for years!!

KF - LOVED your post. I hadn't seen many of those groups but knew of them for living so close to San Francisco during that time. Most all of them were there at one time or another. That really was a trip down memory lane. I saw the Rolling Stones at least 3 times in the Oakland Coliseum (Day on the Green) - they were generally verra verra late to their concerts and we'd be sitting out in the sun broiling. Also saw Creedence Clearwater, Kingston Trio, Beach Boys (horrible concert), Joan Baez, and a few others you mentioned. I saw Huey Lewis at Cal Expo one time and you could see all these huge men hanging in the scaffolding behind the stage. Turns out it was some of the SF 49'ers. He was a big fan and even had a couple of them singing on one of his recordings. Cal Expo was only a few miles from their summer camp and they came down for the show! Huey is from Marin County and used to stand on the sidelines at the Niner games...

Someone said this earlier - with the obviously eclectic background many of us have in musical taste......it's pretty amazing we've all ended up bonded somewhat through Clay Aiken!

*looks over shoulder*

I still like the Monkees. And the Partridge Family. And the Bay City Rollers. *shrugs*

Me too.

Ah, the Monkees. One of my first loves was Davy Jones. I was 4 at the time -- I think he and I were probably the same height. *g* Seriously, though -- their songs are classic POP songs. I mean, Neil Diamond wrote some of their stuff. OK, so at the height of their popularity they didn't play their own instruments, but their producers brought in some of the best studio men out there.

And I watched the shows in reruns -- 20 years later -- and had forgotten how adult some of the jokes were. The first time I watched, I'm sure the jokes just went over my head. Actually, watching those reruns allowed me to see The Monkees (minus Mike, *sob*) in concert.

I honestly don't think anyone should be ashamed of their musical tastes, either in the past or today. Sure, tastes change, but I remember those days of listening to the Bay City Rollers as a time of fun, with catchy pop tunes that I could sing my heart out. Just as I do with Clay today.

Maybe that's how I learned to be "uncool."

Iseeme, I knew that about the 49er's and Huey Lewis -- some of them sang backup on "Hip to Be Square." I was also very tempted back in the 80's to actually fly to San Francisco to see Huey in concert at the home turf, but that would have been "crazy." Ha ha in retrospect.

BTW, a famous big Huey Lewis fan to this day -- Jimmy Kimmel. Made my heart glad.

Good morning! I'm so behind, it's pitiful. I see I missed some birthdays, so HAPPY BIRTHDAY to those celebrating! Get well soon, keepingfaith!

My first real concert was Maynard Ferguson, who came to Beaumont for a high school band fundraiser. I remember my poor little mother getting all flustered by his "suggestive" gyrations, which were only due to his "circular breathing" technique for playing long notes and long passages without taking a visible breath. He was amazing.

My next big concert was The Judds before they became superstars...Also, Reba McIntyre, Neil Diamond, and Don Williams.

Thanks for all the YouTube links. I've never heard of some of these acts. Nice that they have a new medium of exposure.

Y'all have a good day. Must catch up later. :)

Feel better soon, keepingfaith! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

But my main one was Huey Lewis and the News. OMG -- loved them. Still do.

Yes! HLatN was my first concert! I was in 8th grade and the mom of my best friend at that time took us. It was at the University of Dayton Arena. Big deal for me as my mom was pretty much against letting me go to any of the other '80s bands I liked - Duran Duran, Tears for Fears, Depeche Mode - since I was only 12 or 13. I've seen them one other time since then. Awesome shows! I still have all of their records!

Oh. Wait a minute. I remember going to Disneyland for a friend's birthday. It would have to have been around 1985, before we moved. Scott Baio was in concert that night! :cryingwlaughter: We didn't actually go, but I do remember hanging out, listening to the concert & trying to find a way for her to see 'cause she had a crush on him! :cryingwlaughter:

Hee! Someone else upthread mentioned taking their kids to see Tiffany - I saw her, too. I think she was the opening act for New Kids on the Block at King's Island amusement park one summer. Saw quite a few pop concerts there since we usually had season passes - The Jets, Tommy Page, Amy Grant. Country was and still is big in this area, so there were A LOT of country acts at KI. I've never had an ear for country, so I skipped those.

I haven't been to many concerts, other than Clay of course, in the past few years. And I think I've been to more of his concerts than all other concerts combined!

As for a co-headliner with Clay, I can definitely see the benefits cost-wise and for adding on to an existing fanbase. Don't know who I'd want to see with him though. I have trouble sharing. :P While I liked Kelly well enough during the IT, I had to admit that by the time we'd sat through the Beau Sisters, I was MORE than ready for Clay to hit that stage and it was tough to keep up the energy for KC. I guess there could be a case for building the excitement..... ;)

I did go see Jesus Christ Superstar and Godspell in London!

I think I've seen more plays than concerts in my life!

*gasps* You saw David Essex in Godspell???!!! Post some more details! He was wonderful as Che in Evita (better than Mandy Patinkin whom I would have ordinarily called the best); that natural growly quality to his voice just kills!

Yup!

And let me tell you - he was CUTE!

And Jeremy Irons! So tall and ramrod straight.

And - I have actually done Godspell twice!

Sang "Where Are You Going"?

Strictly amateur. I over heard our director - the second time - tell someone he was directing the oldest living cast of Godspell! :cryingwlaughter: :cryingwlaughter:

The first time I did the show, I was still nursing my now 33 yo son!!!

First concert??? It would be going to see Gowan *crickets* :cryingwlaughter: He sings "Strange Animal" and I don't remember what else!! :cryingwlaughter:

My next concert was Loverboy!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! My friends and I were in love!!! :hubbahubba:

After I grew up (lol!), I've been to a few concerts. Loved Duran Duran!! Powerstation, Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, Eagles (worst.seats.ever), U2 (supposedly I saw them - too many trays of beer prior :imgtongue: , Pink Floyd (LOVE!!). Then I dated an alternative type dude, and discovered Lollapolooza :yow: , The Greatful Dead (watched a guy in front of me roll a joint - first time I'd ever seen that!!), The Counting Crows, and Sioxie (however ya spell it) and the Banshees.

After a long dry spell, I'm back into attending concerts!! :whistling-1:

Plenty of CLAY!! Saw Bon Jovi (worst.concert.ever), Gwen Stefani , Meatloaf , and Hillary Duff (took one for the kid!! - actually wasn't too bad!!)

Favourite Clay concert?? CLIO!!!! Best venue ever!!!

I also loved the Toronto JBT because he was standing within a foot of me when he went into the audience. It was so unexpected!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Syracuse NaT was great too!! First time I travelled with an almost complete stranger (auditioned her for 1/2 hour at Burger King 2 days prior to ensure she wasn't an axe murderer!! :cryingwlaughter: ). He sang Run To Me!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

As for tour thoughts. I'd LOVE for Clay to do theater style tour in smaller venues with GREAT acoustics - something around the size of the Schubert would be fine by me!! EEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

I honestly don't think anyone should be ashamed of their musical tastes, either in the past or today. Sure, tastes change, but I remember those days of listening to the Bay City Rollers as a time of fun, with catchy pop tunes that I could sing my heart out. Just as I do with Clay today.

Maybe that's how I learned to be "uncool."

AWWWW, I love that!!!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

The very first record albums I ever owned were by The Partridge Family. At some point, as I grew older, I guess I decided that I was too cool for them, and made a ceremony out of breaking them all with a toy golf club.

Many years later, I was reminiscing with my cousin, who remembered sitting in my bedroom listening to Partridge Family records with me when when we were young. A short time later, she bought me Partridge Family CD's for my birthday as a joke. We actually went out driving around, playing the CD's, singing along to "I Think I Love You" and "Point Me in the Direction of Albuquerque" and "Doesn't Somebody Want to be Wanted" and "I'll Meet You Halfway"- they really had some great little poppy songs, and David Cassidy had a great pop voice.

Maybe there's some kind of arc in your need to be considered cool. When you're young, you like what you like with no apologies. As you get older, it suddenly becomes important to fit in with everyone else, so we may actually stifle our individuality for a time so that we don't "stand out" as being different. And then after a while, we realize that "being cool" and "fitting in" are actually limiting, and we find our way back to being who we are.

I think that's part of why Clay doesn't mind calling himself, or being thought of as, uncool! So much more liberating just to be yourself.

This will tell my age, but the very first concert was when I was 15 and at our local teen club I heard Sonny and Cher. Thought it was great, then my second concert around the same age, was at a teen dance at the local ymca. There I heard Simon and Garfunkle. I lived in Saginaw, Mi. at the time and couldn't believe they used it in a song.

Saw many concerts during college years but of late the worse concert I have been to was Randy Travis. Phil Vassar opened up and he was really good, then Randy came on. It was 95 degrees that night in a ourdoor venue. He wore a turtle neck shirt and a jacket. He did not move from one spot all night, or even showed any personality. I could of listen to the CD and enjoyed it more.

I do not know who Clay could tour with. I am spoiled and enjoy his two hours on stage. I have a hard time sharing. If he opened up for somewho is bigger he would probably be on for only 30-45 minutes, and I would hate it. I rather see him in a small venue then have a bigger crowd and less time. I know that is my opinion. I know he needs new fans. I just do not like to share.

Thanks for the good wishes. It's a chicken soup day for sure, maybe chicken soup with a jalapeno chaser.

Someone said this earlier - with the obviously eclectic background many of us have in musical taste......it's pretty amazing we've all ended up bonded somewhat through Clay Aiken!

You said it. Women from all walks of life are coming together over Clay Aiken.

And muski my thoughts and intents were purely esoteric until I re-read that sentence from inside your head. You've corrupted me.

Kareneh and LdyJ -- For years my daughter would, at random times, ask me, "Why do you always end up down at Nick's Cafe?" Or say, "You like it now, but you'll learn to love it later." My kids have always amused themselves with lines from songs and movies, as with lines from The Wonder Boys -- when my daughter has her hands full and I ask her how she is, she'll say, "Fit as a fucking fiddle!" My daughter and youngest son almost drove me mad saying to each other, "No, thank YOU, Mr. Acabano." Lines from Avalon, A Bronx Tale, Almost Famous, Miller's Crossing, Usual Suspects, O Brother, Being There, are part of our Thanksgiving lexicon. I can't help it that my children are strange. Has nothing to do with me. I tell them, "Yes, I know your words."

Maybe there's some kind of arc in your need to be considered cool. When you're young, you like what you like with no apologies. As you get older, it suddenly becomes important to fit in with everyone else, so we may actually stifle our individuality for a time so that we don't "stand out" as being different. And then after a while, we realize that "being cool" and "fitting in" are actually limiting, and we find our way back to being who we are.

I think that's part of why Clay doesn't mind calling himself, or being thought of as, uncool! So much more liberating just to be yourself.

ITA with everything you said. For me, that period of wanting to fit in lasted exactly one summer, between grade 8 and grade 9. I came to my senses pretty quickly. ;)

I forgot to mention Keith Urban as one of my most recent concert experiences. My cousin roped me into it, in exchange for planning to go to the Erie CITH with me...which of course got nixed in the blizzard of '07. I liked the KU concert, even though I didn't know any of his music. It was an experience, that's for sure!

Worst concert I ever attended? Probably have to say the Backstreet Boys a few years back, in Detroit. I went with my daughter and her friend on a lark, and we were down on the floor, getting totally squished. I didn't even make it until the opening song...I checked out before it even started, and stood way at the back for the first half, by the bar. I think I went outside for some air during the second half and prayed that the kids would survive the crush. Thankfully, they did, but I remember seeing them pulling unconcious girls out by the armpits from the stage...it was pretty frightening.

*looks over shoulder*

I still like the Monkees. And the Partridge Family. And the Bay City Rollers. *shrugs*

Yeah, me too.... fun times, fun music!

First concert. Heh. Charlie Pride. Mom wanted to go. I was her driver. He was really very good. He wasn't my kind of music but I did enjoy it.

Other concerts... Billy Ocean - sat in line all day at Summerfest to be one of the first in the gate - this was back when they didn't have the fancy amphitheater that required a special ticket... so my teenage sisters and I took turns sitting in line or wandering around Summerfest until it was time to get in - got first row though! My sisters were into track so they could run fast! It was a great concert - fun, poppy stuff!

Fleetwood Mac - outside - Alpine Valley something or other in southern WI - late 70's - we had crappy lawn seats waaaaaaaaaaaay in the back but we didn't care... and the air around us was rather fragrant! Those were the days...

Michael Bolton - heh... three times... Mom liked him a lot... he actually put on a pretty decent concert - and one of the times we saw him, according to my sister (I don't remember so no idea if she's right or not), his opening act was Celine Dion... we went to see him play one of his charity baseball games too... I guess that's as close to fangirly as I got before Clay and it was with my Mom! Good times, good times... My sister and I have said all along that if Mom were still alive, she'd love Clay and would be doing the road tripping thing with us...

Brooks and Dunn... very good... put on a great concert.... this was during my country, pre-Clay phase...

Paul McCartney... four or five years ago... and of course, he was fabulous... I'm so glad I went...

So rather eclectic with my choices... and now, other than Broadway shows (both in NYC and elsewhere), my dollars seem to go to Clay and I consider it money well spent!

Alspazz said:

I also loved the Toronto JBT because he was standing within a foot of me when he went into the audience. It was so unexpected!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

OMG - we must have been almost standing next to each other. I was literally almost leaning on his shoulder when he was in the crowd. We were sitting in front of a couple of guys and all through the concert we kept telling them to look unhappy and miserable so that Clay would come and talk to them. And HE DID!!!! I was cellcerting LiftMeUp and she said I was whispering "OMG, he's coming closer, he's coming closer, OMG he's here! OHHHH he's beautiful! Look at his skin. It's translucent!" I, of course, remember nothing other than he was standing in front of me with that ridiculous houndstooth hat and the dark suit with the sparkly glittery stuff on it....and thinking if I reached out and touched him that Nick would pounce on me!!! You could see his freckles through the makeup and the base of his eyelashes were white..... (ummmm.....I guess I was looking pretty closely....... :cryingwlaughter: )

Hah - I also took g-daughter to see The Blues Clues. I guess that was more of a show than a concert. Thought I was going to die before I could get out of there. Bought her a BluesClues flashlight and she played with it throughout the show - didn't hardly look at the stage!

I love Phil Collins. Mentioned the Doobie Brothers earlier. Saw them about 5 or so years ago when they did a benefit for the drummer - who was dying of cancer. Can't remember his name. But Michael McDonald came back and sang with them. It was a great, great concert. The drummer's little boy came on stage and played the drums for one song. Very poignant! OH OH OH - Gypsy Kings at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley. Awesome concert if you like their music! Saw Cindi Lauper one time - she was 5 months pregnant, sat on the edge of the stage flashing major panties and remarked that the guy in the 20th row knew she was going to have a boy! Bwaahahah! One of the worst concerts I ever saw was Whitney Houston! She did nothing but vocal gymnastics and you couldn't even recognize the song. It was like 2 hours of warm-up scales. BUT......one of the best concerts was The Spinners and Diana Ross. Her dresses were beautimous. There was a venue on the Peninsula called Circle Star and the round stage rotated throughout the concerts. Saw Ray Charles almost fall off his piano stool into the audience as a result. He would get to bopping and jiving and bouncing around on that stool and you honestly feared for his safety.

ETA: I saw Michael Bolton at the Concord Pavilion and Celine Dion was his opening act. Quite frankly she was this skinny, pretty unattractive woman with a big voice. Who knew!

Women from all walks of life are coming together over Clay Aiken.

And muski my thoughts and intents were purely esoteric until I re-read that sentence from inside your head. You've corrupted me.

Whoa. :unsure: Creepy...I was catching up and came across (heh) this shoutout...and had a Twilight Zone moment. Because some pages back I had copied this from an earlier post of yours and was holding it, waiting until I got to the end of the posts so that I could slap it down and make some absurd, unnecessary smutty remark about it.

It hurts to swallow.

I was gonna say something like, 'keepingfaith! Of all people, you're certainly not the one I'd have expected to hear this from!"

But then when I saw my name in bold up there, I thought..."Wait...did I post already? When did I do that? How could she reread the "It hurst to swallow" from inside my head before I even posted to let her know I'd read it? Huh? Holy shit. How much wine did I drink last night? :huh:

:cryingwlaughter:

Have a happy Monday off work, y'all! :clap: BirthdayMuskiDaughter and her two buddies are still snoozing in the living room. Hubby and I will take them out to breakfast and then life will be back to normal. Sorta. Whateverthehellnormalisincasamuski. B)

Muski, you're killing me. For some reason that reminds me of an 80's Bill Hicks' bit about positive stories on the news. He suggested something like this:

And today in Austin a young man realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration and that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death; life is only a dream; and we are all the imagination of ourselves. Here’s Tom with the weather.

Clayzor, had a great time at your place..your car and the sound system in it are AWESOME...I felt like a teenager again. :twinklewhore: Great company and I don't think we stopped laughing the whole time :F_05BL17blowkiss:

One Republic is talented and I like their music. I'm going to be checking out some of their songs on itunes for sure. Thought is was funny how no one was paying any attention to the concert though, they were texting, talking, walking around and Ryan Tedder pulled a James Taylor, sang Apologize, their big hit at about 3/4 through the show. After the song people started leaving, I looked around and all the rows behind us (which were quite a few) were totally empty. :cryingwlaughter: It was weird.

Saw a lot of Dick Clark bus tours. Bobby Rydell, Bobby Vinton, Paul and Paula, Paul Anka. Have seen the Supremes, Chubby Checker, Dave Clark Five, Herman's Hermits, Jerry Lee Lewis, Beachboys, Jan and Dean, Peter, Paul and Mary, Conway Twitty, Frankie Avalon. I saw Cat Stevens when I got older, I thought his concert was awesome, so maybe he changed it up by then.

Saw the Rolling Stones in 1966 in Australia, Bee Gees, Easybeats, Eagles, Inxs before Michael Hutchinson died, James Taylor, Doobie Brothers, Waylon Jennings, Michael Martin Murphy, Bob Sieger, George Strait, Elvis before he died. Saw Paul McCartney recently and I have seen Blue October from Houston 2 times. I love them

My favorite concert is still Clay's JBT at Interlochen. His concerts are the most exciting and entertaining out of all of them.

As for the other conversation going on here, in a word......unconditional.

I meant it when I posted it on the OFC and I still mean it.

I rarely come on the boards anymore, but just wanted to drop in and say HELLO to everyone. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

YAY I'm on page 9. Damn, ya'll are some posthos heee.

KAndre..great recap...by the time I catch up I'm sure you'll have the actual Kimmell part done? hee I always love to have the window seat but have also been seated next to people that you feel just can't be moved. I just try to hold it rather than crawl over folks!

I'm really enjoing reading all the meet ups with axe murderers. I had one previous fandom and we did the meet up thing as well but of course not where near as often. Actually only twice over a 5 year period. Clay's constant touring sure does make it possible to have so many wonderful stories. It doesn't seem at all crazy to me but I can just imagine how family and friends would look at it.

Back to work.but I told myself I can stop every hour and read 2 pages heee.

He doesn't even text me. heh

No kidding. Just as quickly as our text relationship started, it seems to have ended. :cry4:

Still not taking him out of my telephone book on my cell phone though...

My first real concert was Maynard Ferguson, who came to Beaumont for a high school band fundraiser. I remember my poor little mother getting all flustered by his "suggestive" gyrations, which were only due to his "circular breathing" technique for playing long notes and long passages without taking a visible breath. He was amazing.

Oh wow. I saw Ferguson too -- I was the keyboard player in my high school jazz band, so I was exposed to a lot of that kind of music in high school. I remember him putting on an awesome show. Don't remember the circular breathing though. Heh.

As for a co-headliner with Clay, I can definitely see the benefits cost-wise and for adding on to an existing fanbase. Don't know who I'd want to see with him though. I have trouble sharing. :P While I liked Kelly well enough during the IT, I had to admit that by the time we'd sat through the Beau Sisters, I was MORE than ready for Clay to hit that stage and it was tough to keep up the energy for KC. I guess there could be a case for building the excitement..... ;)

This is pretty much me. I think the benefits are there, just finding that person to work with Clay would be the interesting part. Having said that, I totally agree with this:

One thing - he probably won't do it - but if he does tour with someone else, I wish he'd blog about it before any leaks - before the shit hits the fan.

If he would just give the info and talk about (cuz some folks can't seem to see past the breathing apparatus in the middle of their face) the economy, gas prices, the logistics of touring and give the other person props, talk about why Clay thinks touring with that person will be fun, etc, maybe that would minimize some of the inevitable griping.

I was chatting with Ansa last night, and I said I didn't think I could take the boards if something like this would come to fruition, because it seems to me that there would be so much...uh, talk....and in my mind, not in a good way. I understand totally wanting to have Clay and Clay alone on a show -- hell, I'm selfish too. But I'd really like to keep my mind open to the possibility of his sharing the stage, and can only hope the fandom would be like that too. I have a feeling it would be a pipe dream, though.

Having said that -- there are many of us who loved the rest of the cast of Spamalot after seeing the show, so I think something like this could expand my musical horizons. AND...

First concert. Heh. Charlie Pride. Mom wanted to go. I was her driver. He was really very good. He wasn't my kind of music but I did enjoy it.

The bolded part is something that I think would help Clay. Again, it may be a pipe dream for me, but I truly do hope that at least a few people who could be a fan of "______" would end up saying "wow, he's pretty good." I want to hope that if Clay did co-headline with someone, fans could be created on both sides. Not saying they HAVE to automatically like the other person, but I hope people get my drift.

Kareneh and LdyJ -- For years my daughter would, at random times, ask me, "Why do you always end up down at Nick's Cafe?" Or say, "You like it now, but you'll learn to love it later." My kids have always amused themselves with lines from songs and movies, as with lines from The Wonder Boys -- when my daughter has her hands full and I ask her how she is, she'll say, "Fit as a fucking fiddle!" My daughter and youngest son almost drove me mad saying to each other, "No, thank YOU, Mr. Acabano." Lines from Avalon, A Bronx Tale, Almost Famous, Miller's Crossing, Usual Suspects, O Brother, Being There, are part of our Thanksgiving lexicon. I can't help it that my children are strange. Has nothing to do with me. I tell them, "Yes, I know your words."

That's kind of how my husband and I knew we were meant to be with each other. We both would hear someone say a particular phrase....and would add a phrase from a particular song. Same song. We would look at each other at that point and laugh. And in our opinions, lives should have soundtracks.

For Ldyjclyn..........Have you seen this Huey Lewis duet with Garth Brooks. It's a remake they did last year I think. I loved Huey Louis too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqkLrN1ikR8

:F_05BL17blowkiss: Clayzor! I've seen that more than a few times. This is from Garth's album from this year. I love Garth, would love to see him live but it probably won't happen.

:cryingwlaughter:sheila that was funny watching the crowd wasn't it. They totally did not engage with the opening act. People milled around all over the place when both groups were playing. Hell that young girl sitting next to you must of made us move so she could leave her seat a dozen times. :cryingwlaughter: She said excuse me and I said "What, again?" She gave me one of those, what's your problem looks. Great time. I'm going to check them out too. Glad you stopped in and posted. Do it more often. Outdoor concerts are like picnics in the park. We even had guys over at the porta potties playing with some small rubber ball or something. Like they were practicing for soccer. Can you imagine If this had of been a Clay concert, how the Claymates would of reacted? :cryingwlaughter:

I need to go to brothers house and check out some of their remodeling efforts. Do my big sisterly thing. I sent you some pictures to both work and home emails.

lydj, I couldn't remember if it was earlier this year or late last year when that came out. I do have it downloaded though and play it a lot.

Elvis, Omaha, one of the last concerts he gave. He had got terribly fat by then. It was one of my favorite concerts. I was not a concert goer in my youth. I mainly have seen country artists in concert here. Willie Nelson, Rascall Flatts, some older acts that have long gone. Like Charlie Rich and some I can't remember. I did see Paul Revere and The Raiders. I believe that is my first concert experience. Saw The Eagles and Hall and Oates recently. Probably more groups, but my brain is fuzzy.

Okay you Country music fans.....this is really going to be a stretch. When I was in graduate school we used to have study groups and one of the women played Country music all.the.time! Never having been raised around Country music it was most -annoying until I got used to it. Old Johnny Rodriguez and Willie Nelson's Red Headed Stranger type stuff. But there was one "album" (yes it was that long ago.....eep!) by Vern Gosdin and a song called Till The End that was just beatiful. Anybody ever heard it? I used to have the cassette but it's probably buried in a time capsule somewhere....

Probably more groups, but my brain is fuzzy.

Maybe it's those martinis, kid. They are lethal!

**waves madly to sheiladownunder** Don't be a stranger. I've missed you!!

LdyJ, I read with interest your comment

I was chatting with Ansa last night, and I said I didn't think I could take the boards if something like this would come to fruition, because it seems to me that there would be so much...uh, talk....and in my mind, not in a good way. I understand totally wanting to have Clay and Clay alone on a show -- hell, I'm selfish too. But I'd really like to keep my mind open to the possibility of his sharing the stage, and can only hope the fandom would be like that too. I have a feeling it would be a pipe dream, though.

Regarding not being able to take the boards, I think the operative letter is "s" -- because this board has never been knee-jerk reactionary about what Clay does and that's why I'm at home here. My OFC membership is up next week and I'll rejoin of course, but not for the messageboard (unless it's Clay posting). I mainly check the messageboard at OFC because of the pictures (and links to pictures), and it does seem to be a clearinghouse for the best visuals from a variety of boards. For that alone, it's worth every penny.

ETA: I could always be and often am wrong ... but I don't see Clay sharing the stage, opening for, or co-headlining with anybody. He's got a fanbase and I think he'd play smaller venues so his name would be on the ticket. I think Clay likes to treat his fans as if they were sitting in his classroom and he can be Teacher Clay. He's really good at it, too.

I have wondered if there were any comments after Clay was on Nightline regarding what he said about AI having to contact Elton John to get clearance for him to sing DLTSGDOM. So that kind of proves that he was gigging the audience (JBT Stump The Band) when he acted like he didn't know Elton John wrote the song. Clay kids with his audiences, and too often it's taken for scripture when he's just playin'.

Oh how I love not going to work on a Monday!! This is my first 3-day weekend since Labor Day 2007 and my first day off since New Year's day (except for the day after my father died, but that doesn't count as a true day off...)!! Too bad it all ends tomorrow......

So I was reading around the boards and noticed that it seems the honeymoon is over with OMWH with some. I guess that was inevitable - the initial euphoria gives way after hearing it 100 times. But I also suspect the poor sales have something to do with it. It is almost as if for some the bad reviews and poor sales have convinced some the CD is not as good as they first thought it was.

That got me to wondering. Has your opinion of the CD changed since the first few times you heard it? Has your favorite songs changed? Are you tired of it? Do you find yourself skipping some of the songs now that you wouldn't have before? Are the lyrics beginning to get to you?

Three weeks later, what do you think of OMWH?

I'll start. Three weeks later I still love it and still enjoy listening to it. Now, I have not listened to it several times a day every day. I usually listen to a little more than half of it on my way to work and then listen to the rest the next day. I have actually gone a day or two without listening to a note, although I do find the songs playing in my head. My favorites have changed - and tend to quite often. I started out loving SAU most of all, and it is still high on my list, but then there is SL and today's favorite is ALAWH. The two songs I like the least - but don't dislike - are WOTW and Ashes. Ashes I think will be fun live, but I don't love it recorded. I also haven't totally warmed up to EIDN on the CD. It feels awkward to me for some reason, but I am sure he will KILL on this song live. I have become much fonder of Falling than I was initially and of all the uptempo songs I think this is my favorite. But even the songs I don't like as much I like enough to not want to skip them. I just don't like them enough to want to repeat them several times in a row!

The critics often spoke of trite and cliche lyrics, and yes they abound on this CD. I said from day one the best and most sophisticated lyrics on the CD were LAA. But on the whole they aren't as trite and cliche as ATD! Although I do always cringe a little on "You know me well, Always ring my bell..." :rolleyes:

My biggest complaint with this CD is all too often I feel the production, the instrumentation, is competing with Clay's voice to the point he seems to almost shout above the music. Today's favorite, ALAWH is a prime example. And to me GOG would be sooooo much more compelling if it had been a simple acoustic arrangement and not so poppy.

The thing I do still love about the CD is the variety of sound. There are songs that sound the same to me. The opening strains of Ashes and Falling always get mixed up, for example, but on the whole I like that we get mid-tempo ballads, slow, jazzy ballads, uptempo pop/rock, a touch of funk and more. The only sameness I find is that too many of the songs have a tad too much angst attached to them. At least a few are about triumphing over that angst!

I love this album today just as I loved it 3 weeks ago. I never thought it was an artistic masterpiece. I never thought it was musically groundbreaking. I never thought it would change anyone's mind about Clay. But I think it is what it was intended to be - an album filled with lots of good songs made better by a great voice. I still don't think there are too many singers out there today who could handle the variety of styles on this CD. It has been a long time since I heard a CD I liked this much. Usually by now I have honed a CD down to a few songs I like and skip the rest. This hasn't happened yet with OMWH and I think that speaks volumes.

It will be interesting to see the results of my market research experiment and also to see how a friend I am sending it to likes it. Neither have an opinion of Clay one way or the other so their reactions will be without bias.

I do think the problem with this CD regarding radio play and sales has more to do with Clay than the music. Maybe its not fair, but there is a definite prejudice in the music industry when it come to Clay. He is not only considered not cool, but also in some circles a joke and in an industry where image is oh so important, that may result in barriers that may never be torn down. Its a shame, really, because if they didn't know who sang these songs, I bet they would have had a much more positive impression.

Ok, deep thought for the day is over. Maybe I'll go take a nap!

Regarding lyrics, the only line that bugs me is "around my heart is where I draw the line" -- because wouldn't that be a circle, or an oval? Regardless I LOVE that song. And when he sings, "Either you're gonna rescue me, or you're gonna be the death of me" -- well I can't get enough of that.

Tired of OMWH? I just bought another one on Saturday, so surely not. I love every song on this thing, and already have had people say, "Why didn't he put FIEKY on the CD? And I say, "He did, you just have to go to Walmart to get it. So now I'm pimping for Walmart. Compromise my principles for Clay? Apparently so.

That got me to wondering. Has your opinion of the CD changed since the first few times you heard it? Has your favorite songs changed? Are you tired of it? Do you find yourself skipping some of the songs now that you wouldn't have before? Are the lyrics beginning to get to you?

Yes my opinion has changed - the more I listen to the CD the more masterful I think it is! I don't find the orchestration overpowering Clay at all. I think Kipper did a good job, in my humble opinion, of showcasing Clay's voice. I thought the arrangements were supportive of the songs and I liked his use of guitars and piano.

My favorite songs have changed somewhat but my initial favorites are still my most favorite - Sacrificial Love and The Real Me. I'm tired of a couple of the songs and admit I skip through them now (after about a bazillion listens....) Weight of the World and Grace of God just don't do anything for me. And I think both lend themselves to the "chessy lyrics" remarks. BUT...having said that, I still think those 2 songs are better than most of the crap that's put forth as good songs. I know it's all a matter of taste, but watching the Grammys the past couple of years has caused ear pain. But if I have to pick least favorite songs, those would be it.

For me the lyrics are either the focus of the song or just blend into the background. I listen to lyrics but the melody and the voice singing the song are more important to me. I do have to say that the lyrics that hit me in the gut are from The Real Me ..."how long will be it be before I'm empty! and I've made a mess of my existence" just brings up all kinds of thoughts about how Clay's life has changed in negative ways. Granted, I think he feels those ways are a tradeoff for the good that has come his way, but it still gets to me. What he's had to endure from the tabloids, etc.

I haven't ventured elsewhere in a few days now and probably won't. The mob mentality of some of the other boards just irritates the snot out of me. The holier-than-thou attitudes and the assumed importance of un-educated opinions is just too much. Sometimes it's quite a challenge to find where these folks think they are fans or are doing Clay a favor.

Do I think this CD will go down in history as one of Clay's best? I hope not. I think there's more in him to come. But do I think several of the songs will be Clay classics? Oh yes.