#33: Let's all chant "I think it can! I think it can! I think it can!"

FCA Thread Title  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What should the next thread title be at FCA?

• So, how about that Clay Aiken?
    • The guy is just endlessly fascinating, isn't he?
    • Artificial insemination, well at least we know he had a hand in it.
    • If you claim he's got titanium balls, why not let him use them?
    • I'm happy to let Clay do whatever he wants.
    • I have ears and a brain and a heart, and I like what OMWH does to them.
    • Magical Mercurial Music Maker!
    • Clay--still the one.
    • In general, his voice just DOES something good to me. It makes things seem...better, somehow.

I really didn;t think his voice was ragged on Sessions...I actually thought its one of his better live performances. I just think that the few baubles was just his chords not used to singing these songs live yet. My impression of him right now...he is just tired. I think once he has had his rest and is raring to go on stage once again...watch out.

I do love these songs...I haven't been listening to the CD non stop cos I got into some audiobooks...but through the day bits and pieces of the different songs play in my head.

Oh, you guys are so funny! :lilredani: Coming to Clay's rescue and whatnot... :cryingwlaughter: I ain't picking him apart...(demmit)...I think he must've been pretty much burned out at both ends when he did this---and I think he's human so neither his voice nor his 'onstage persona' was at its peak. That's all. I definitely volunteer to be first in line to give him a handjob massage or tongue hot bath or whatnot... :whistling-1::hubbahubba:

Could someone tell me on which question Clay said he wasn't a musician. I've listened to them all, and didn't hear that statement in any of them. Maybe I have selective hearing.

It's not in one of the videos. To the right of the videos is a still picture, which says PHOTOS.....THE STORY....and POLL at the top. Click on THE STORY.

OK, I did listen to them all the way through. I didn't realize I hadn't listened to OMWH either, of all of them I think that one was a little rough around the edges. SAU was sublime and I really did think he sounded great on the others, I think they are the types of songs that sound good with a little raspiness. Just a few days ago I was reading somewhere and there were some suggestions that Clay needed to dirty up his vocals a little bit. Well, there you go. :cryingwlaughter:

Just watched the AOL Sessions. Were his feet nailed to the floor? Was he holding on to the mic stand for dear life? After seeing him at QVC so stationary and then here I have to wonder did he forget how to move if it isn't blocked or choreographed???

My ponderings, too....C'mon, Clay! Rawk that thang! Grab the mic stand and tilt it when you growl to EIDN! Do SOMEthing! He seems so detached from the songs...wonder what's goin' on?

Maybe he had a Sex Hangover :hubbahubba: ....heh....yeah. That's it. He had a night of unparalleled HAWT SEX and was plum worn out, poor man.... :hubbahubba: His THANG got over-RAWKED!

That's it! He seemed detached from the songs - EXCEPT for SAU! Now that song he seemed connected to! Maybe because he could sit down for it! :cryingwlaughter:

But I just chalk it up to being tired. Although, he is a professional and he should have been able to suck it up and growl and debacle the mic stand and groove! <snark>

Honestly, if we had never seen him do the things we know he can do, it would probably be no big deal.

Finally managed to extricate myself from the company dinner and get home to watch the AOL Sessions. I'll just word atinal who said

Geez, guess I'll go listen again, I thought he sounded great. I wasn't bothered that he didn't move around, he wasn't singing in front of a crowd.

I heard some change ups in the notes, and I heard maybe some tentativeness at times (especially in OMWH) but it just served to make the versions even more special and different. I know I'm a bit of an odd man out at time because I love live music, and my iPod is full of it. The more I watched and listened the more I was itching to get these mp3s onto my iPod! I definitely think he connects with SAU, I really saw him come alive singing that one. I think the more uptempo ones like Ashes & EIDN are going to be killer in concert, and Clay even referenced that himself in one of the interview segments.

Good numbers this week! Wheeeee, and 2 of them are mine. :) Walmart versions, no less. Thanks to cindilu2 and FromClaygary who picked them up on my behalf in Michigan on Saturday. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Is it possible because of the way it was filmed that they told him not to move around too much? It did look at times like wanted to move and then held himself back (just re-read that last sentence and I just know the smutters are already drooling! :cryingwlaughter: )

Kim

Check out the satisfied look on his face at the end of SAU. GAH, GUH, etc!!!!!!

Also, I love toward the beginning of the song, where they are showing his right profile, the little crooked smile he gets- that drives me nuts!!!! :DoClay:

l

l

l

l

v

Bottlecap :lol: -

I suspect Clay's ability to move around was constrained by the camera set-up in the AOL studios.

Maybe he'll make Quiana and Angela learn how to do the bottle dance and they can break it down during the On My Way to Do Clay Aiken Tour.

thbottledancefromspamalot.gif

bottlecap, you crack me up!

For me, SAU is the killer performance in this set. He really nails the feeling on that song, and as I said earlier today, I think he connects with it much better live than on the record.

Honestly, I did notice the lack of movement, but could easily chalk that up to being in a studio.

I think I need to watch again...

ETA: Some good radio news from the CH:

from kellykellyk

This will probably get lost in the EEEing over the AOL sessions, but "On My Way Here" has the 4th highest HitPredictor score for Mainstream AC on Radio and Record's HitPredictor rankings.

HitPredictor Chart Action

Welcome to another week of great new music at HitPredictor. Our predictive song testing gives you an early heads up on the new singles that showed hit potential with listeners of 7 major radio formats prior to airplay and familiarity!

Let's check out the new chart action for the week of May 27th, 2008:

<snip>

At MAINSTREAM AC this week, STEVEN CURTIS CHAPMAN, CLAY AIKEN and NELLY FURTADO all earn an HP Star with their songs "Cinderella", "On My Way Here" and "In God's Hands".

HitPredictor - Mainstream AC

New releases that tested with hit potential prior to airplay, updated each Monday.

BDS TW / Song Title / Label / Artist / HitPredictor Score [Note: BDS TW refers to This Week's R&R AC chart ranking, determined by # of spins]

1 Love Song Epic Sara Bareilles 84.70

3 Lost Reprise Michael Buble 82.50

30 New Cinderella EMI Steven Curtis Chapman 81.40

35 New On My Way Here RMG Clay Aiken 80.20

5 Teardrops on My Guitar Big Machine Taylor Swift 78.40

10 No One RMG Alicia Keys 78.30

20 New In Gods Hands (feat Keith Urban) Interscope Nelly Furtado 76.30

4 Apologize (feat One Republic) Interscope Timbaland 75.30

14 Lost Warner Bros Faith Hill 74.20

9 Who Knew Jive PiNK 72.80

9 Taking Chances Columbia Celine Dion 72.30

13 In My Arms Curb Plumb 71.40

6 Bleeding Love RMG Leona Lewis 70.50

22 Whatever It Takes Geffen Lifehouse 70.00

7 Tattoo Zomba Jordin Sparks 68.40

8 Big Girls Dont Cry Interscope Fergie 66.40

The "Hit Predictor" chart ranks the songs that tested the best in R&R's listener surveys (based on songs rated by promosquad.com members). That means Clay's "On My Way Here" tested well on promosquad and is among the songs with the best feedback from listeners. A good "Hit Predictor" score will not necessarily make a station add a song to its playlist, since stations may also use local listener surveys, ratethemusic.com rankings, or number of spins at other stations to help determine their playlists. However, a good HitPredictor ranking may help convince a station that is on the fence about adding the song, while a bad "Hit Predictor" score can definitely make stations think twice about adding it. So while it's not a guarantee of radio play, a high HitPredictor score is certainly good news.

OMG...CG...thanks for reminding me about MOAM AOL sessions cos that is one of my very very favorite live performance of Clay. I actually was crying the night I listened to it because his voice was so real...so vulnerable and truly gave me chills. I remember the reaction to that video was all over the place. There were people that were very disappointed with it and others like me who just loved it.

I guess to me I don't really mind imperfections when I feel that the singer is really very in touch with the emotion of the music. I think that is why I can appreciate singers like Jason and Brooke of AI. So this MOAM is actually the version that I have on my Clay faves play list.

Anyway...I am watching it again and getting chills all over. LOVE!!!

I really love WIDTL... I think that could be a hit for Clay, I hope they bring it out as a single...

I think I need to watch again...

I've said this soooooo many times this evening. I think I'm responsible for at least 50 of the views of SAU. I mean, I love the song on the album, but live?? Oh.my.word. I feel like I'm cheating on WIDTL! And btw, I'm still seeing people talking about the 'country' vibe on that one and I'm not getting that AT ALL.

Is it possible because of the way it was filmed that they told him not to move around too much? It did look at times like wanted to move and then held himself back (just re-read that last sentence and I just know the smutters are already drooling! :cryingwlaughter: )

Kim

Ah ha! I new Kim had it in her!! She is a closet smutter!!!! :clap:

I suspect Clay's ability to move around was constrained by the camera set-up in the AOL studios.

Maybe he'll make Quiana and Angela learn how to do the bottle dance and they can break it down during the On My Way to Do Clay Aiken Tour.

thbottledancefromspamalot.gif

:cryingwlaughter:

OMG...CG...thanks for reminding me about MOAM AOL sessions cos that is one of my very very favorite live performance of Clay. I actually was crying the night I listened to it because his voice was so real...so vulnerable and truly gave me chills. I remember the reaction to that video was all over the place. There were people that were very disappointed with it and others like me who just loved it.

I guess to me I don't really mind imperfections when I feel that the singer is really very in touch with the emotion of the music. I think that is why I can appreciate singers like Jason and Brooke of AI. So this MOAM is actually the version that I have on my Clay faves play list.

I really love WIDTL... I think that could be a hit for Clay, I hope they bring it out as a single...

Actually, it was the AOL Sessions of MOAM that made me like that song! I didn't care for it before, and still don't love it on the CD, but that version, imperfections and all, made me love it!

EEEEEEEEEE for being 4th on hit predictor!!!

So Clay was also blond in MOAM sessions...but he is sooooo much thinner..

I think for me its in Ashes where he seem most detached to the song. I thought he started really getting into it on WIDTL, EIDN. SAU...yup that was pretty.

Actually, it was the AOL Sessions of MOAM that made me like that song! I didn't care for it before, and still don't love it on the CD, but that version, imperfections and all, made me love it!

Yeah me too...I didn;t really like it that much. This is what made me love it and was glad he added the acoustic version on IT.

EEEEEEE for the AOL vids! I heard a few off notes, too, but that was minor compared to all of the gorgeous notes. SAU was GORGEOUS, and I really enjoyed Ashes and EIDN. And I think Clay looks DELISH!! I loved the whole set-up with the band and the set. Very cool! Heee - even if Clay says he's not cool.

Hey...off-topic...but those of you with laptops. Would you please PM me or otherwise advise as to what types/brand you have and what's good and bad about them...and what you would recommend, if you were buying a new laptop now. today? How much RAM, bam, and thank you ma'am you'd suggest, etc.? Size of monitor? TYPE of monitor? Brand?

I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous, less money than I'd like to spend, and a strong desire to make a wise choice, if indeed I decide to get such a creature.

My beloved techies, help?!?!?! Hey, it's a slow news day, so... :)

OOlsee, I just got a new 17" Entertainment laptop from HP. It has a nice, big screen, 3 G of RAM (which makes it faster!), 250 GB of hard drive space, and a verra verra nice graphics and sound package. I've only had it for about a month, but so far am really happy with it!

Just testing my new avatar....yum. (They finally have the pictures up on the AOL site -- there's a good one of Sean there too....)

annabear, I don't get the "country" vibe from WIDTL either. To me, it sounds like a straight-forward pop song. *shrug*

Another person who didn't care for MOAM the song until the AOL sessions checking in. I still love that version -- especially his clearing his throat at the beginning, thought that was the cutest thing evah. Of course, he's surpassed that CUTE several times now. *g*

Nope, no argyle, it's a solid color sweater, either black or dark navy. He looks very preppy to me.

Made an interesting discovery about SAU -- for me, I think that's a song that needs to be heard LIVE. First the QVC performance, which made me fall in love with it, and now this one. The recorded version is great, but IMO there's something special about the song done live. Can't put my finger on it either.

The rest of the songs are all good too, although I did notice slight bobbles in each of the other songs, whereas I didn't in SAU. He still sounds damn good though.

*sigh*

OMG!

Worked fairly late tonight. Didn't get home til after 8:30.

Just finished watching all the AOL stuff. He looked GREAT!

I think the tie was orange. :)

And - YES! About SAU live.

I think it's because he LOVES the hell outta that song! He smiles and you can hear the smile in his voice.

It's absolutely Luscious!

Thanks for the luscious wallpaper, Cha Cha!

Now to the Sessions: After coming home and hearing these on good speakers ... GAH!!!

That whole thing was major sexy to me. Sometimes less is more, you know?

The changes on some of the notes from the way he sang on the album was good for me. He made the songs edgier, less melodic.

The band didn't thrill me earlier, but seeing it again under better circumstances, I thought the guys were very professional and quite attractive themselves. If anything I thought Clay was on the more relaxed side, rather than uptight or straining. The roughness in his voice was rarely there but just enough to cut the smoothness, and that's not a bad thing either. Flawlessness isn't exactly a plus in contemporary music these days. I've heard Celine and Christina go a little rough with their voices for contrast and I enjoy that. The problem I have with Josh Groban is that he's boringly accurate, like a computer singing to me.

Now if a singer is scratchy for a whole verse or something, that's different. It can be irritating if it goes on and on. But in moderation, or to punctuate a very fluid vocal, I rather like it. Again, I thought Clay was hot, sexy and laid back. I think Clay's performances tend to be more technically flawless when he's under pressure and is completely focused on his singing. I'm all for it all. Nobody sounds like Clay Aiken.

KAndre, I totally agree with you regarding the definition of musician. I must, however, differ with Clay in his definition (as I have read about it as I haven't listened to it yet) because being a musician has absolutely nothing to do with whether you know what a half diminished 7th chord is. None of the Beatles could even read music and they were the most famous musicians/songwriters in the world.

I'm wondering if perhaps the recorded versions of these songs have Clay singing his own backup at times and that "voice" is missing from these live sessions! Could make it sound a titch different. Maybe without all the backup he sings one part and that isn't necessarily the part we're used to hearing on the CD? ( I don't think I'm making myself too clear but hopefully you'll get the gist....)

I remember the first time I saw the AOL session of MOAM....right before he starts to sing he clears his throat a little bit - a small Clay cough! But what struck me about that was Clay just standing there, not moving, head back, eyes closed, singing his big heart out. That has always been a favorite of mine - even though his voice was higher and thinner than the recording. It just struck me as being so personal to him at that particular time.

I also see where he's one of the top 5 highest rated sessions...... :clap:

Nobody sounds like Clay Aiken.

Can I hear an AMEN?