#35: You mean, it’s not all dressing up and dancing at FCA?

Thread title poll  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• I know, I know
    • Clay?s the balm, dog.
    • He's Clay Aiken, the one and only, for God's sake!
    • He's got energy, he's got soul, he's got it all, that voice pours out of him.
    • What can I say, he's addictive.
    • I'm of the "don't die til the bullet hits you school."
    • He can turn my world on with his smile!
    • Daddy now or later or never, Clay is a gift and I'd love to unwrap it.
    • Clay Aiken: Promoting Friskiness Since 2003.
    • It ain't my life, just my passion!
    • FCA - An anarco-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync nomadic omnivores.
    • CiSNOs from FCA who tulibu dibu douchou Clay!
    • The man has done so many songs that you never know when he will just pop into your mind as you go about your day.
    • The man has perfectly perfect pipes and a perfectly perfect profile presenting the perfect potion of masculine pulchritude!
    • What the man did with a minute and a half with a limited choice of material, a backing track and three idiots staring at him was nothing short of art.

And honeys I'm home as well! Lake Tahoe was absolutely gorgeous today - the color of the water is the deepest blue! The narrator on our cruise explained why - but, WTF, it's just blue! G-daughter changed into swimsuit after and played in the water. That water is pure ICE. I put one toe in and immediately ran back up to the blanket.

Got home to this in an email -

From the CH...a Gawker sighting...keep salt lick handy

Clay Aiken

Broadway & 42nd St

Jun 15th, 2008 @ 11pm

I cannot believe I just saw Clay Aiken! He was near Broadway, hanging with some hot blond chic! NO WAY is she the one he knocked up! She was HOT! And he had his arm around her. WTG Clay!

Sounds like Hannah, maybe? This would have been after Spamalot was over Sunday night.

Interesting!!!

Nothing to add to the music discussion. My g-daughter is not much of a Clay fan - prefers Greenday And Linkin Park. I think it's her mother's genes!!!! My ex-dil. I managed one play of OMWH before the whining started. Brat.

I'm home 3, just beating a rainstorm!

{{{{merrieeee}}}} I'm going to miss your kitchen! Was it just me who thought, "Boy, those termites have been privy to a lot of things!"

So many nice things to read!!! I'm so glad I know you all, especially Gibby, KAndre, KeepingFaith and Perma. I was going to say something about Falling lyrics but I forgot while reading all your stuff -- Cotton, wanted to let you know that your post called to me and even helped me at work today. I wanna hear Clay and Barbra too! "People" was also the first song I remember from her, mainly because my cousins took me to see the movie after assuring my folks that we were watching a Disney one.

And I'd like to go to KAndre's too even though my kitchen is fine. We don't need to cook, I just want to know how my Sim is doing.

Again about FIEKY, this is one song that I haven't spent a minute thinking about the significance of it to Clay -- because it's all about its significance to ME. Yes, I can sing this song. Also, it wasn't on the album proper so perhaps it was cast aside when Clay decided to go with songs he connected with from the past five years. Clay said that LAA wasn't included in ATDW because it didn't fit the theme. So, I think this one is for me. Of all the songs on OMWH, the ones that strike me as most profoundly and specifically Clay related are ALAWH and TRM, oh and Ashes and WIDTL, and Falling, oh never mind.

My only thought on Dylan is he can't sing and hurts my ears :cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

I'm glad I'm not alone!

I know he's an icon, but He Makes My Ears Bleed!!!

And I don't care if that's SACRILEDGE!!! :imgtongue:

hmmm where's my intelligent and witty post on the new song lyrics... oh yeah... COTTON?!! :cryingwlaughter:

Dangit. Had to WORK!

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

I don't care for Dylan, but I luuuuuuurve me some Donovan. :wub:

ME TOO!!

I think the part that people either love or hate is the big crescendo part, with the glory note. I used to think it sounded off key, like the note Clay was hitting didn't match the notes the instruments were playing. But eventually I came to realize that the instrumentation is just gradually going up and up until it gets to where Clay's already at, and now I freaking LOVE that part! And, OMG, that final note, on headphones, is killer. :Thud:

Ooh! Ooh!

The dissonance! I lurve it!!!!!

I was late to this one, too. Maybe that's one of the reasons it's not on my repeat/replay/rinse/repeat list!!!

Shine in NC made a montage of ClayShirts to I Love My Shirt!

I sent her an email but she works nights, so I don't know when I'll hear back. I hope she has it posted somewhere!

ETA:

Scarlett! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I think about my Sis and her new job when I hear Falling.

She made a HUGE career change this year! And she's 63!!!

It's been a real struggle for her.

She says she's still SCARED every single day!!!

FORGET I EVER KNEW YOU

This is one of the songs I usually hit repeat on, therefore, it must be one of my favorites! I love how it changes tempo after the first few phrases......... Love when it starts to rock out after the first part too!

Jumping in with the Forget I Ever Knew You love. I repeat it over and over in the car. I think it's my favorite song on the CD now....having bumped off Everything I Don't Need for the time being, which I still love as well.

And peeps, don't forget VIEW NEW POSTS if you want to see what's being talked about elsewhere here. Have I mentioned that lately? :cryingwlaughter:

Couchie, I don't know what I'd DO without VIEW NEW POSTS. I'd be lost without it.

Don't like Dylan as a singer - except for Lay Lady Lay (which I would KILL to hear Clay sing!) but love him as a songwriter.

Luckiest, I ADORE! Donovan! Saw him in concerrt when I was in 9th grade. I'll never forget it. It was at Philadelphia's Academy of Music - a beautiful old music hall. There he was, so cute, sitting cross-legged on this big pillow on the floor of the stage, just him, his guitar and his music. He was engaging and funny and adorable.

Late to this week's party but I love both "Falling" and FIEKY. I prefer Falling so much more than Ashes. I didn't like the techno bit at first, but now I do. Nothing profound to add. I just like it.

FIEKY grew on me. I didn't like it much at first. It felt awkward. But each time I listened to it I liked it more and more and now its one of my favorites. I think its a complicated song and I loved whoever said it was a song within a song.

I haven't listened to this CD in weeks. Maybe its time again.

Got home to this in an email -

From the CH...a Gawker sighting...keep salt lick handy

Clay Aiken

Broadway & 42nd St

Jun 15th, 2008 @ 11pm

I cannot believe I just saw Clay Aiken! He was near Broadway, hanging with some hot blond chic! NO WAY is she the one he knocked up! She was HOT! And he had his arm around her. WTG Clay!

Sounds like Hannah, maybe? This would have been after Spamalot was over Sunday night.

Interesting!!!

I was never a Clannah shipper before, but if this is true it would make me very happy!! Salt shaker handy, but it would make me happy!

I haven't listened to this CD in weeks. Maybe its time again.

I cannot go a day without listening to OMWH.

Everytime I listen to it I hear a new nuance or note or tone and it's like I'm listening to a new song and Cd.

There really are so many layers and I am beginning to understand more & more how good he really is and how much work went into this, by all concerned.

I was never a Clannah shipper before, but if this is true it would make me very happy!! Salt shaker handy, but it would make me happy!

heee... this is the definition of understatement. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

but weirdly I find myself unable to ship for now LOL. Damn you TMZ! :cryingwlaughter:

Those deep fried green bean appetizers they have at TGI Fridays? Really, really good. Hey, they're good for you, they're vegetables!

FIEKY: one of my favorites! I love the way this whole song starts -- with fairly spare instrumentation. The "shuffle" feel i get from the beginning really caught my ear. And then...whamo. It rocks out! Man, it kicks in my book. I think, for me, what gets me is the creative use of harmonic dissonence -- I think it was luckiest who talked about the glory note and the music didn't seem to be quite with him, but then it worked it's way "upward" until it matches Clay. That's it EXACTLY -- and why I love this song so much.

My favorite section of the lyrics are these:

I turn the page I've got nothing to say but I'll start writing anyway

Something that gets me moving on again

Stuck in this place I'm putting one foot in front of the other foot

Maybe today I'll let this be over and done again

I really like this whole section -- a nice evocation of getting on with life after something bad, a bad relationship.

The final, almost spoken, "forget I ever knew you" -- I got chills the first time I heard it.

I too hit repeat very often with this song. I also find myself just humming this song randomly, in my mind it's that catchy.

Hey CG!

My husband is fairly big Dylan fan -- he's from Minneapolis, so I think it's against the law for him to not be a fan. Me? Eh. I always joked that he and Tom Petty needed to start a school for enunciation in singing. *g* But, I really liked both of those guys as part of the Traveling Wilburys, and Dylan's last few albums have been great.

BTW, I turned on the radio to the local "hippie" radio station here. First song I heard was "Like a Rolling Stone." Right after it was "Question" by the Moody Blues. Thought of you kf!

heee... this is the definition of understatement. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

but weirdly I find myself unable to ship for now LOL. Damn you TMZ! :cryingwlaughter:

And I have never wanted to ship more!! :cryingwlaughter:

I love Forget I Ever Knew You! Love the way it starts to pick up steam in the middle of the song, and then there seems to be such an urgency to it. Totally a "love gone wrong" song to me, and it's almost as if the person in question is using that sense of urgency to try to speed up the process of grieving the loss of the relationship. I love the "glory note" in this one- the last time we discussed this song, I know several people mentioned that they felt a dissonance between that note and the music, but I never felt (or heard) that.

I love the way the song just sweeps along until that very last anguished note, which seemed to me (repeating myself from the prior convo), to indicate that all of the words and emotions before it were just a lot of bravado, and that the lost love was not so easily forgotten- or easily gotten over. (Ew- bad grammar, I'm sure!) :cryingwlaughter:

Thanks for the heads up on the pictures, Cotton! Man, it does my heart good just to look at him! :wub:

Oh man, the one above where he's resting his head against the mic?.............................I'm DEAD!

O/T- can anyone tell me why, when I go to youtube, everything seems to be in Spanish???

The really funny thing that could happen :cryingwlaughter: is if anyone got a picture of it and it shows up in a tabloid..,.,,bwaahahahah - Clay two-timing Jaymes. Whooeee boy howdy - heads would roll in the media world!!!! I think that would be absolutely hysterical. Sorry - weird sense of humor tonite.

Wow. Me too.

I did not like this song the first time I played it. Did. not. It may now be my favorite.

I don't know why. :cryingwlaughter:

FIEKY....He starts with a plaintive sound to his voice...I lie awake...and then he sorta growls 'while'

I try to make...

Just wish I knew where I should...

then he grunts out "I'd" go back in time if I could...

Erase. you. from my mind for good...

I get so--and then right here? His voice grinds out the "tired of tryin'" and he SOUNDS tired...

And through that whole first part, before the instrumentation and heavy beat start, he sings with a kind of resignation or maybe even uncertainty that it really IS over...as if he's trying to talk himself into not caring anymore.

Then that music makes me want to crank up the volume when I'm driving and seems to make him ready to move on, too. The sadness gives way to anger or at least a new sense of purpose.

I'll turn the page---no more soft voice.

Pushing the beginning consonants of the words now.

Maybe I SHOUUUUUULD...I can imagine a video with him in a convertible...top down (the car's) here and with each line now he's believing the words more and more--maybe even pounding the steering wheel, his face showing growing determination until he sings that glory note....

I start livin' life with no regrets

Cause the Best Hasn't Happened Yet!--love how he spits those words out, as if he's sayin', "Yeah, bitch! Just wait and see!"

Out of my liiiiiiiiiiiiiiife!

And holds it while all the bullshit falls around him---the dissonance is the sour relationship, all the destructive feelings that he's getting rid of---he survived them, outlasted them---just like his strong voice outlasts the discord and then....the music falls in tune with him..

Walk away...

I'll get on my feet and start again...and forget I ever knew you...

The music seems even faster...just as his resolve gets stronger...

Say goodbye to all I been through...

And then the music is gone and only his voice remains

"And forget I ever knew you."

I believe him!

Oh, and one thing I always notice is in that great line with the glory note---Even when I'm waiting for it, listening for it...I'm still surprised by the note he sings "my" with..for some reason it seems like it wouldn't be the natural note there...not sure why it sounds that way to me...I'm not complaining...I LOVE that note...it's...different.

The end. I love this song.

Or perhaps you'd already figured that one out. :blush:

Thanks Cotton for allerting us to the pretty pictures...

My favorites...

GMA5.jpg

GMA13.jpg

GMA20.jpg

GMA23.jpg

To quote Rachael Ray...yummo.

:F_05BL17blowkiss: to my "other" twin Jamar. I don't think kf will mind sharing you with me. Hee.

The really funny thing that could happen :cryingwlaughter: is if anyone got a picture of it and it shows up in a tabloid..,.,,bwaahahahah - Clay two-timing Jaymes. Whooeee boy howdy - heads would roll in the media world!!!! I think that would be absolutely hysterical. Sorry - weird sense of humor tonite.

:cryingwlaughter: :cryingwlaughter: :cryingwlaughter:

FIEKY: ...

The final, almost spoken, "forget I ever knew you" -- I got chills the first time I heard it.

It's that last gasp that gets me. Clay has an emotionalism in his singing that I connect with. He has this flawless delivery and then raw emotion seems to overcome his vocal strength and I love that. It's not a forced emotion, it's one that exposes itself -- and it kills me.

BTW, I turned on the radio to the local "hippie" radio station here. First song I heard was "Like a Rolling Stone." Right after it was "Question" by the Moody Blues.

And I'm sure you're a better person for it! Goodness, LdyJ, Already today I've been through Dylan and the Beatles and now you're going to bring the Moodies into this? No. I'll be good. But, by the saints, isn't Question one of the best songs in the history of the world??! And would you believe I'm wearing my Justin 1970 shirt (that I bought at the concert in March) .

As far as the sighting ... woo woo ... that Clay Aiken sure is an untameable beast of a heartbreaking man! Jaymes is pregnant and he's with a hot blonde in Times Square? Maybe it's not Hannah. Maybe he's got another blonde in the harem. :cryingwlaughter:

Thanks Cotton for allerting us to the pretty pictures...

My favorites...

GMA5.jpg

GMA13.jpg

GMA20.jpg

GMA23.jpg

To quote Rachael Ray...yummo.

:F_05BL17blowkiss: to my "other" twin Jamar. I don't think kf will mind sharing you with me. Hee.

RIP, Gibby. Can.not.post.about.FIEKY. *thud*

Who lives closest to Gibby?

Anybody there who could run over and revive her?!

I wanna hear her music assessment of FIEKY!

Couchie, I haven't written word one about this one. Sowwy!

And since I had to work today - I didn't get to listen enough to assess.

BTW, where is our Listening Party Thread again?

I checked the lyrics thread.

I think Chritchly said this line . . .

"My dream comes true and the story ends "

was

"The dream comes true when the story ends"

???

Wow. Me too.

I did not like this song the first time I played it. Did. not. It may now be my favorite.

I don't know why. :cryingwlaughter:

This is my favorite part too. Just love it. And I didn't really like this when I heard the clip of it but as soon as I heard the whole thing, it probably became one of my favorites ever, although most of what Clay sings become my favorites.

And I think I have only heard Dylan sing once on an award show and kept thinking, why does anyone like this guy. I really thought he had the worst voice I'd ever heard and I'm all about the voice. I like little parts of lyrics but a lot of times it's like poetry to me which makes me want to pull my hair out because I just want them to say what they mean. Not a poetry person or even lyric person at all. Besides the voice, its more about the message. How the song makes me feel and Clay is one of the only singers that has actually made me feel something when he sings.

FIEKY....He starts with a plaintive sound to his voice...I lie awake...and then he sorta growls 'while'

I try to make...

Just wish I knew where I should...

then he grunts out "I'd" go back in time if I could...

Erase. you. from my mind for good...

I get so--and then right here? His voice grinds out the "tired of tryin'" and he SOUNDS tired...

And through that whole first part, before the instrumentation and heavy beat start, he sings with a kind of resignation or maybe even uncertainty that it really IS over...as if he's trying to talk himself into not caring anymore.

Then that music makes me want to crank up the volume when I'm driving and seems to make him ready to move on, too. The sadness gives way to anger or at least a new sense of purpose.

I'll turn the page---no more soft voice.

Pushing the beginning consonants of the words now.

Maybe I SHOUUUUUULD...I can imagine a video with him in a convertible...top down (the car's) here and with each line now he's believing the words more and more--maybe even pounding the steering wheel, his face showing growing determination until he sings that glory note....

I start livin' life with no regrets

Cause the Best Hasn't Happened Yet!--love how he spits those words out, as if he's sayin', "Yeah, bitch! Just wait and see!"

Out of my liiiiiiiiiiiiiiife!

And holds it while all the bullshit falls around him---the dissonance is the sour relationship, all the destructive feelings that he's getting rid of---he survived them, outlasted them---just like his strong voice outlasts the discord and then....the music falls in tune with him..

Walk away...

I'll get on my feet and start again...and forget I ever knew you...

The music seems even faster...just as his resolve gets stronger...

Say goodbye to all I been through...

And then the music is gone and only his voice remains

"And forget I ever knew you."

I believe him!

Oh, and one thing I always notice is in that great line with the glory note---Even when I'm waiting for it, listening for it...I'm still surprised by the note he sings "my" with..for some reason it seems like it wouldn't be the natural note there...not sure why it sounds that way to me...I'm not complaining...I LOVE that note...it's...different.

The end. I love this song.

Or perhaps you'd already figured that one out. :blush:

muski.... verra verra good! :clap::clap::clap:

SLC does good clack! NICE!!!

Lyrics:

Forget I Ever Knew You

words and music by Greg Critchley

I lie awake while the rest of the world sleeps happily

I’m tossing and turning in the dark

I try to make some sense of the mess that calls itself my life

Just wish I knew where I should start

I’d go back in time if I could

and erase you from my mind for good

I get so tired of trying

Maybe I should just…

Fly away let my heart pretend

My dream comes true and the story ends

I get on my feet and start again

And forget I ever knew you

I leave the past and rise above

I let you go and fall in love

With everything that I’m made of

Say goodbye to all I’ve been through

I turn the page I’ve got nothing to say but I’ll start writing anyway

Stuck in this place I’m putting one foot in front of the other foot

Maybe today I’ll let this be over and done again

I’d make up my mind if I could

And leave this all behind me for good

I’m getting tired of trying

So maybe I should just…

Fly away let my heart pretend

The sun can shine a little brighter now

I’m gonna make it on my own somehow

And I will start feeling alive again, yeah

I’ll start living life with no regrets

‘Cause the best hasn’t happened yet

I’m just fine with you out of my life

I’ll just, fly away let my heart pretend

I never knew you

I have a hard time picking a firstest song between FIEKY and ALAWH. Love them both to death and, to me, they both sound so typically Clay Aiken. FIEKY is so very complex and he sings it effortlessly... to me that's Clay Aiken!

To me, in this one, he starts the night thinking about the past and how awful things were, then he decides he just has to let go and start dreaming of loving again. He works his way during the night to letting go and seeing that the best hasn't happened yet. But, in order to do that, he has to forget he ever knew her.

I often think of the tabloids when he sings some lines.

And, the best hasn't happened yet! My favorite line!

My favorite SLC picture... those eyes... GAH!!!

GMA23.jpg

eta... I could, maybe, have said, "to me" a few more times... :cryingwlaughter:

FIEKY: ...

It's that last gasp that gets me. Clay has an emotionalism in his singing that I connect with. He has this flawless delivery and then raw emotion seems to overcome his vocal strength and I love that. It's not a forced emotion, it's one that exposes itself -- and it kills me.

Good God, yes, that's it exactly. It's such a RAW song, IMO...and that last line is the rawest of all.

muski, loved your analysis too! I think you must like the song or sumptin'.

Other than that...just wanted to see my pretty new avatar. *g*

Oh, Muski!

I forgot to :clap: :clap: :clap: your post!

I will have to give the song a few more listens musically.

I'm very much into melody and harmony.

But I'm also very much a lyrics gal. I'm a poet. I've written lyrics. Nobody to sing them, but that didn't stop me. *g*

But - I'm also about harmony. And that's another thing I love love love about Clay Aiken.

The man has an innate understanding of harmony. And even if he's not singing harmony, I get from the songs he seems to like, that he enjoys the harmonics of music - whether the harmony is between him and backup singers - or him and a cello or a bass guitar.

Does that make any sense?

ETA:

He sing WALK AWAY instead of FLY AWAY.

:)