#35: You mean, it’s not all dressing up and dancing at FCA?

Thread title poll  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• I know, I know
    • Clay?s the balm, dog.
    • He's Clay Aiken, the one and only, for God's sake!
    • He's got energy, he's got soul, he's got it all, that voice pours out of him.
    • What can I say, he's addictive.
    • I'm of the "don't die til the bullet hits you school."
    • He can turn my world on with his smile!
    • Daddy now or later or never, Clay is a gift and I'd love to unwrap it.
    • Clay Aiken: Promoting Friskiness Since 2003.
    • It ain't my life, just my passion!
    • FCA - An anarco-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync nomadic omnivores.
    • CiSNOs from FCA who tulibu dibu douchou Clay!
    • The man has done so many songs that you never know when he will just pop into your mind as you go about your day.
    • The man has perfectly perfect pipes and a perfectly perfect profile presenting the perfect potion of masculine pulchritude!
    • What the man did with a minute and a half with a limited choice of material, a backing track and three idiots staring at him was nothing short of art.

Oh Lord don't even bring up those stupid ipod transmitters. They have been torturing me since the 2005 JBT road trip. So I'll just use the cassette thingie but that's when you get all that static. But I'm not one that cares about the nuance of the strings here and the oboe there. As long as I can hear Clay's voice? I'm good.

Heh. I remember that road trip. If I hadn't been driving, I would have figured it out for you, I'm sure. But you should be glad I was driving, I got us to New Hampshire just fine. OK, with one detour. And no Elvira or any other GPS device.

Actually, I like the FM transmitters that PerusingOne and I use -- which kinds aren't goo so we can avoid them? Maybe it's the frequency in diff cities? We have lots of blank space here.

I have a Belkin one, and it's pretty easy to use and cool. But I think you're right, you've got to be in a place with a lot of open FM frequencies. When I try to use my iPod with FM transmitter in Chicago -- forget it. Nothing but static.

They have new CD players for that. grin.gifpeace.gif

I hear there are things called jobs where people give you money to buy new CD players, but I can't find one of those either. :cryingwlaughter:

{{{{{{jmh}}}}} just 'cause I know this is rough on you. I'd send you a CD player, if I could.

the genius of .... [Eric Clapton] and the heartfulness of .... [The Grateful Dead] -- and sooooo many others.

You are me (almost).

Maybe I really am. Just listened to Ripple this morning. If I knew the way, I would take you home. :friends:

And I'm still a little burned about Cream breaking up -- but the Derek & The Dominoes concert was pretty damn good, even though Eric never once moved.

I love both you ladies so very much....but I'm so far on the OPPOSITE end of the musical spectrum, it's not even funny. I was a top 40, AM radio gal, so I really went for the bubblegum pop way more than Clapton or Dylan. I did discover the Beatles though -- I think maybe I was 13 or 14 when I heard my first Beatles song -- A Day in the Life. Tell you what -- that last chord in that song scared the CRAP out of me. At the time, I found it very creepy. Now, I love that chord.

BTW, my hubby would love you too kf. But I think I'll keep him.

Just got back from my Doctor's office. There's all sorts of problems with my knee! There's a "body" floating around in there that is preventing my knee from straightening out; there's a tear to my meniscus; I have what they call a Baker's Cyst developing (basically a collection of fluid); and I have minor arthritis. Next step is an appointment with an orthopedist -- where they will probably "scope" my knee, and hopefully get everything fixed. Hopefully, this will all be over soon; I'm just glad to know that they at least saw something after the MRI, and I know what's wrong!

{{{{{{playbiller}}}}}

Perma, thanks for the clear description of the bridge. I was about ready to attempt that, but you did it much better than me. "The Song that Goes Like This" is fantastic to me because, IMO, you really do have to know a bit of music to know exactly what they are talking about.

I miss Spamalot.

I'm enjoying all the talk about music. I have absolutely no musical ability, knowledge, etc. so I have nothing to add. I was in choir all through school, but I certainly never would have been asked to do a solo unless they actually wanted people to stick their fingers in their ears...

Sorry about the ineptitude of the phone repair service, Play.

Ldyj, OUCH! in regards to your knee!

I miss Spamalot.

Me too.

I miss Clay. Wishing we had some idea of something coming up - project, appearance, tour...

*sigh*

Couchie!

happyBD.gif

I was surfing around and found this montage of Clay spouting raspberries at the choir teacher who cut him from the high school musical...... I never saw this one!!

Does anyone know what musical they put on that year? :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I think it was "Guys and Dolls" -- too bad for them. Imagine hearing this with everything Gibby wrote about Clay's voice and you'll have an idea of what they missed out on!

<snip>

Oh, yes! Clay would have made a great Sky Masterson in "Guys and Dolls" (Peter Gallagher in the 1992 Broadway version was my favorite). IIRC, somewhere from the recesses of my memory, I "think" Clay was offered the role performed in the 1955 movie version by Stubby Kaye with the song "Sit Down, You're Rocking the Boat" (a svelte Marlon Brando was that movie's Sky Masterson). Why settle for the Stubby Kaye role when you could outsing Marlon Brando or Peter Gallagher?

ldyjocelyn, :sorry: about your knee.

Just got back from my Doctor's office. There's all sorts of problems with my knee! There's a "body" floating around in there that is preventing my knee from straightening out; there's a tear to my meniscus; I have what they call a Baker's Cyst developing (basically a collection of fluid); and I have minor arthritis. Next step is an appointment with an orthopedist -- where they will probably "scope" my knee, and hopefully get everything fixed. Hopefully, this will all be over soon; I'm just glad to know that they at least saw something after the MRI, and I know what's wrong!

ldyj, I had outpatient arthroscopic surgery to repair the torn meniscus and "clean up", whatever that was; I went from pain that made me think amputation was a good option, to total relief. My surgeon was a sports surgeon who operated on a lot of professional players, and he was quite familiar with knee problems.

So glad you got an MRI!!!!!!!!

the genius of .... [Eric Clapton] and the heartfulness of .... [The Grateful Dead] -- and sooooo many others.

You are me (almost).

Maybe I really am. Just listened to Ripple this morning. If I knew the way, I would take you home. :friends:

And I'm still a little burned about Cream breaking up -- but the Derek & The Dominoes concert was pretty damn good, even though Eric never once moved.

I love Ripple. :wub: Also To Lay Me Down. My favorite commercial Dead album is "Reckoning," (the two CD version), which has two versions of each of these. The whole album is acoustic, live recordings.

I saw Clapton when he was on his own--same dealie. He doesn't move, he doesn't talk, except to say "thank you, thank you very much." Still a great concert. My favorite Clapton band--that's a toughie. I've loved them all each in their own way.

I'm so glad you found out what is wrong, and I hope you can get it fixed really soon. I believe the surgery and recovery time aren't bad--unless you try to go out and play a golf tournament afterwards (I'm looking at you Tiger Woods).

Happy Birthday, Couchie! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

ldj Glad you found out what was wrong with your knee and that it can be taken care of!

Kim

HAPPY BIRTHDAY COUCHIE!!!!

Hope you have the bestest birthday EVAH!

On another note, it's gettin' ugly out there today. Clay feel off the BB 200 list. Doom and gloom, blaming RCA, blaming Clay...same old stuff. People are disappointed and upset. The usual knee jerk reactions that eventually get "refined" or "explained" later, but still cause upset and discontent until they are "explained." Ken Barns suggesting he might be better off with another label, that "doing it his way" hasn't helped Clay. I think Ken has felt RCA has not done right by Clay in the past... Anyway, just a warning that it might not be worth your time reading out there today.

Instead of reading the boards, I spent some time today watching the Tim Russert Memorial Service from Kennedy Center this afternoon. One VIP after another praising Russert for the man he was, culminating in Tim's son, Luke, giving what I thought was a compelling tribute to this father. I have to say, looking at that young man of 22 on a podium in front of all kinds of VIPs and an audience of what seems like at least one thousand more VIPs, his confidence, love and respect for his father was so evident. If Tim Russert did nothing else on this planet, raising that child to become the person he appers to be is something that should have made him very proud.

It seems like the AOL Sessions vids are falling. If anybody is so inclined, and has the time, please give them a few hits. It's about the best thing we can do for Clay at this point.

Ken Barnes reads the boards and gives the fans what they want to hear. he knows nothing, never has. He just gets the numbers.

Bah.

Don't take what I say personally since it is meant in a generic manner, I have been frustrated getting people to support the actual single instead of pushing the single they wanted, like the fans really know anything - remember how fans pushed for the way, yet I Will Carry You is still being played on the radio and The Way is not. Or maybe the fans who pushed the songs and supported the single have been driven otu of the fandom as bad fans because they weren't unhappy enough with ATDW. Lord knows, enough boards tried to drive me off. The thing is the fans ho are left don't want to hear the truth, they are just nott interested, and they have no patience, the song is climbing the charts, does that mean nothing to them, Clay talked about phase II, but we wouldn't want people to actually believe anything he says.

Well, is there anyone who really wants to support the single and buy a copy of the single from amazon? Or is it easier for fans to give up on clay? It has never been easy to be a fan, and some fans actually make it harder. I sear, it is like people forgot all the things we knew with MOAM. I guess I will go to a few boards and see if they are frightened enough to do it this time.

Sorry, I can't use a lot of features with internet going in and out and being very vague - so a quick happy birthday Couchie.

The phone guy was supposed to be here by one, when I called at 5:30 no one could explain why he just skipped right over me, but it was not considered a missed appointment just yet because they are idiots who forgot he didn't come yesterday and wouldn't make one for tomorrow because they were sure he would come today, Righttttt!. Who knows when I will have phone service, I may jsut go back to the beach after I get the plants planted and the lawn mowing finished. the constantly falling twigs slow me down with a hand mower, it can't go over them. Oh, and I have to check they actually take my garbage Friday, since they didn't Tuesday.

Playbiller I appreciate your support of Clay and wanting OMWH to be successful, but I just don't respond to strong-arm tactics or guilt trips. I have done what I can to support Clay and I honestly don't know how my buying a single from Amazon or another CD that I don't need is going to help.

Supporting OMWH on radio is a good thing and what we should be doing as Clay requested...other than that...I think the fandom has done everything they can.

Kim

I have a Belkin one, and it's pretty easy to use and cool. But I think you're right, you've got to be in a place with a lot of open FM frequencies. When I try to use my iPod with FM transmitter in Chicago -- forget it. Nothing but static.

Yeah, that, I think, is the main problem around here. I am smack dab in the middle of Toronto, Detroit & Buffalo.......so I've got radio stations coming at me from all sides. There is nowhere on the dial without a signal. I like the idea of unhooking my antenna though......I rarely bother to listen to radio, anyways.

On another note, it's gettin' ugly out there today. Clay feel off the BB 200 list. Doom and gloom, blaming RCA, blaming Clay...same old stuff. People are disappointed and upset. The usual knee jerk reactions that eventually get "refined" or "explained" later, but still cause upset and discontent until they are "explained."

Thanks for the warning......not that I was planning to 'go out' anyways, but good to know. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I think I'll continue on with my Sterling Heights clack watching tonight. Last night I got to the part where A&Q are talking about PMS and Clay gives Angela a kiss on the forehead. He's making fun of her losing her voice, and says "she'll probably give it to me later" at which point the audience goes crazy. Clay tries to tell the girls to just ignore and not encourage it, and Quiana says "we'll just throw up in our mouths". OMG, I thought I would die laughing, never mind that I was there and have watched it all before, it's simply hilarious no matter how many times I watch it. :cryingwlaughter:

ETA youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXhgHTUO2GY

I miss Spamalot too. Did I really see it 6 times? I wish I had seen it more. I'd love him to do another Broadway show at some point in the future. I never in a million years thought I'd love it so much. I've never been into plays or stage productions. I've always just been a concert ho. Hee, well I'll always be a concert ho, that'll never change. Sure would love to find out when the next concert will be............

The best cure for feeling blue after "going out there": listening to Clay. play, I already bought a single, but I think the AOL streaming will help too.

Watching Clay Aiken is the best medicine out there. Bar none.

I am smack dab in the middle of Toronto, Detroit & Buffalo

See luckiest1 we have a connection! I used to live near Buffalo and Detroit! Oh and Cleveland too! I loved Buffalo and I hate cold weather but that place was just so welcoming.

I know I am a tad tardy but just wanted to wish Miss Couchie a very Happy Birthday...well at least what is left of it!

As for the doom & gloomers they can say what they like. MY guy is taking a well earned rest and he is going to come back bigger & stronger! The next tour is going to kick some you know what!!!!!

Oh dear..I too ventured out there today and sigh...gloom...doom and then came across this at CH. Such a sensible realistic post, I hope it's ok that I brought it over here where "Clay fans come to play".

Claymaniac in PA wrote:

When an entertainer has a life-long career, there will be times when it's hot, and times when it's not. What he/she will never have is non-stop success and non-stop visibility, I don't care who he/she is. I wish folks would learn to be more confident and more able to take the times when nothing is going on, and not get all in a panic or all glum about it. A fandom shouldn't be something to torture yourself with and live in misery over--it should be fun!! I think our expectations can be unreasonable at times. As for the lack of appearances, this is exactly how he told us it would be--some promo, then a vacation, and a UNICEF trip. Hopefully there will be another round of promo down the road a bit. A tour is a good possibility. And there may be news of another sort--TV, a movie, whatever. Clay isn't a quitter or a whiner. He's a strong, vibrant, talented man. He's going to be around a long time.

ldyj... sounds like they can fix you right up! That's great! Hope it gets done soon for you, so your back quits paying for your knee's problems.

{{{{Play}}}} I play the single on Clay's MySpace and on AOL.com every day. I live in frickin' Southern California and the one AC station in LA hasn't added it yet, so I can't request. I would buy another single, but I have no one to give it to who would download it and downloading it is when it counts, so... that's it for me... I understand your frustration. He'll be ok... I'm sure of it. He loves this Cd and he isn't done with it yet... betcha! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Oh dear..I too ventured out there today and sigh...gloom...doom and then came across this at CH. Such a sensible realistic post, I hope it's ok that I brought it over here where "Clay fans come to play".

Claymaniac in PA wrote:

When an entertainer has a life-long career, there will be times when it's hot, and times when it's not. What he/she will never have is non-stop success and non-stop visibility, I don't care who he/she is. I wish folks would learn to be more confident and more able to take the times when nothing is going on, and not get all in a panic or all glum about it. A fandom shouldn't be something to torture yourself with and live in misery over--it should be fun!! I think our expectations can be unreasonable at times. As for the lack of appearances, this is exactly how he told us it would be--some promo, then a vacation, and a UNICEF trip. Hopefully there will be another round of promo down the road a bit. A tour is a good possibility. And there may be news of another sort--TV, a movie, whatever. Clay isn't a quitter or a whiner. He's a strong, vibrant, talented man. He's going to be around a long time.

Who is this CinPA person. :F_05BL17blowkiss: I'll just word her!!

I'm going to save my schmoopie post until I get home heee.

Another here who's purchased & gifted all the singles I think will be downloaded. Streaming from AOL when I'm home. Can't go to MySpace as is freezes, then crashes my computer.

Pulling this out from the post that Lotus brought over from the CH because I think it should be repeated. Over & over & over & over...

Clay isn't a quitter or a whiner. He's a strong, vibrant, talented man. He's going to be around a long time.

:clap: