#38: The man just oooooooooozes awwwwwness

ldyjocelyn

Next Thread Title  

60 members have voted

1. 1. What should be our next thread title???

• I love him. I want him to have a life.
    • Parker Foster Aiken, The little man is ... as loud as his daddy
    • Well, Yes, that is my baby, extended version
    • Clay creates family everywhere he goes.
    • "The little man is healthy, happy, and as loud as his daddy"
    • Maybe Clay is holding that little guy on his chest, kissing his head. I don't care about anything else.
    • Yes, That Is My Baby or would Jack Black be coming after us for copyright infringement, LOL!
    • He's a Daddy! And that's just Joy on a Stick!

People just have different preferences, and while I know each and every one of you here adore the early Clay from Independent and NAT, I watch a lot of that clack and he is still green and learning the business so that some of it is just okay for me, yet I realize and respect that for most of you it's a pinnacle for him.

I think those are pretty broad statements....and I also think that you might feel differently, had you witnessed it in real time, rather than looking back at it now. It's been a journey, and every moment of it has been exhilarating. I'm so glad I've been along for the ride, and I am glad that new fans are jumping on board at every stage of the game. I look forward to what is to come (I don't think we've reached the 'pinnacle' yet), and I treasure what is past.

ETA from Snix at CH:

Clay's new ringtones from "On My Way Here" are now availabile from Verizon. "Everything I Don't Need", Ashes, Falling, "Something About Us", "The Real Me", " Weight Of The World", "Where I Draw The Line", "On My Way Here" and Grace of God. Someone call me quck!!!

OMG! I got a new boss today (again...I've been here three years and this is my third boss so far. One previous one stayed less than a year; the other less than five months. Oy.)

Anyway, I met her for the first time just now and she's like a mini-Whoopi Goldberg! :cryingwlaughter: I swear, I thought I must be meeting Whoopi's younger, smaller sister!

:cryingwlaughter:

I'll let you know more once I have a chance to talk/work with her.

Hey...wonder if she's met Clay, too?

I'm still in Pollyanna mode and think we might get a second round of appearances in the fall on the TV shows that were already pre-booked when the album came out so quickly. There's also a bit of practicality to that - I think he'll need to reintroduce to the general public that OMWH is actually out there so that it's more viable to tour: getting more butts in the seats, venues to invite him, etc. Maybe we won't have to wait until summer; but early spring like the IT.

I'm a bit in Pollyanna mode too. Not 100%. Maybe 50-50. :hysterical: Seems like they'd need something to jump start a second round, but I do feel like that is something that was considered from the beginning. Clay's biggest audiences come from television, and the opportunities for television appearances in the summer are pretty slim. September/October/November, on the other hand, are big TV months. But I dunno if he could get the bookings with an album that isn't new and didn't sell millions or contain a huge radio hit unless he had something to hook them with. I don't like to underestimate the power of the Aiken though. A song of his could be used on a TV show, in a movie, a commercial....????

I also agree with those thinking that, first of all, Clay DOES need the rest. Like most jobs you don't do....I think we have NO idea what "being Clay Aiken" entails on a day to day basis.

Word. I used to have one of those jobs that a lot people thought wasn't really "work" because only a few hours were public; the rest not so much. I worked 60 to 100 hours a week by the time I got done everything that needed doing associated with the job. I was continually exhausted, but got "up" for the public part. I figure his job is pretty much the same. What we see is only a fraction of what he does.

Wish List:

Clay in a recurring role as Kenny's brother or cousin on 30 Rock.

An edgy TV-variety show on Sunday nights (in the vein of the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour from the 60's) with recurring skits and musical guests.

A movie, not a musical, but a straight comedy role, in something directed by Mike Nichols.

Yes on these. The variety show, like the Smothers Brothers or Laugh-in, has been a dream of mine for a long time.

I have been entertaining the thought that Clay may actually be rushing through albums because he has some other options when his contract with 19 Recording expires. Could it be a 5 album deal and Clay has done 4 of the 5 obligated projects? I'm thinking that Kelly Clarkson was on Idol in 2002 and has put out 3 CDs, while Clay was on Idol in 2003 and already has 4 1/2 albums under his belt, a bestselling book and a successful run on Broadway. I know RCA gets a rap for handling Clay's recording career, but do we know anything about 19's influence? I'm curious that 19 Recordings owns a piece of Clay's contract and yet wouldn't have him on AI in May because, as Clay said, they want to move on.

I've wondered about that too. Have no clue. I can't really think of anything at this point that he would gain that would override the advantages of being on a major label. As for the AI appearance, 19 owns a piece of probably dozens of former Idols' contracts at this point. They make gazillions of dollars off that show--it's obscene how much money they make. They could care less about boosting his career. It's all about them.

People just have different preferences, and while I know each and every one of you here adore the early Clay from Independent and NAT, I watch a lot of that clack and he is still green and learning the business so that some of it is just okay for me, yet I realize and respect that for most of you it's a pinnacle for him.

Adore the early Clay yes, think it's a pinnacle no. I'm not at all sure that "most of us" think it's a pinnacle for him. He sold more records, he had larger tour audiences back then, but I think most of us who are still here on the boards, are here because we appreciate the current Clay and expect each new incarnation to be better than the last.

(ETA: Thanks to KAndre's emphasis, I'd agree that both the IT and NAT were, respectively, a pinnacle.)

I'm with you on holding him to old statements/change, etc.

I think I'd have killed anyone who invited themselves with an hour notice and stayed 10 days....long about day 3. :hysterical:

kf, keep in mind I am very fond of telling people when it's time to go home, just sayin'....

The IT and NAT - I think you're right for a few those shows were a pinnacle - especially those for whom Rock!Star!Clay was and is the end-all and be-all. For me and I think for others, it was a chance for Clay to do the arena tour thing - which wasn't so much about the music as it was about the excitement, immersing yourself in the gesalt of the crowd, the thrill of simply being there, shrieking your head off madly, dancing wildly in the aisles, hitting the party scene right afterward, drinking and socializing and partying until the wee hours, convincing the fuzz not to bust you even though you and your peeps are guilty as hell, not being able to talk the next day. For me, it was like I was 19 again, where perfect strangers can turn out to be great friends, responsibility was a foreign word, and there was so much FUN to our rebellion, whether it was against TPTB, our family or our common sense. In a way, it wasn't about Clay - in my group, it was about US. Which I think helps me with my expectations now. All the man needs to do in order fulfill my last career fantasy is his playing in some little jazz joint, maybe under a pseudonym, where the appropriate audience (me and my friends, in other words) are just immersed in the intimacy of the situation. Maybe he's trying out new stuff, maybe he's playing with old stuff - maybe we just lucked up on the session. That would totally rock.

I don't look at the early days as a pinnacle for Clay either; it was a fun time; just after AI so he was very much in the public eye and I look at it as a learning experience for Clay...I think he enjoyed it and it probably was a real ego booster, but then I think the reality of what his life could be hit him and what the music business is really like and then he made the decision to pull back, head back to Raleigh and take his life back.

Personally, I think he had to do a lot of soul searching and thinking about what he really wanted out of this business versus his humanitarian activities...He has done a lot of growing up in the last few years and has and I think will continue to make decisions regarding his career that will satisfy him career-wise and yet allow him to have the personal life that he wants.

It probably won't be what many fans want for him or wish for him and some may move on; but I think there will always be new fans on the horizon and I do believe the best is yet to come.

Kim

Hi! Just checking in to say that the storm was mostly a non-event, well mostly for the people who already had hurricane supplies. I had to go out and get some last night (hurricane supplies), like batteries (for my flashlight) and bottled water and things. *Muski and annabear should be the ones doing this. The world is upside down*

*Waves wildly back at aikim!!!*

Hi, sb! I found it and yes, I think we used to be a separate country. We can be again you know -- come on over!

White Christmas? Sure! (would still prefer a JNT but at this point anything would be nice) :hangin::XmasRed:

Wow, some great posts today. I agree, the IT and NAT were wonderful and fun, but he has grown tremendously since then. I can remember posts from people who only wanted the "rockin' Clay, some who only wanted the "singing" Clay, but for the most part, and I think the majority of us, just want Clay .. singing, rocking, walking, talking, joking, dancing, waving, winking, smiling, laughing. Generally...just "being", as long as it's where we can see him and enjoy him. The rest of the fans are going to be disappointed and move on, but I think the base will still be here. If he ends up entertaining in smaller venues and clubs, so be it. As long as it satisfies his soul and he's enjoying himself, so what? We're bound to benefit from it and, as people have mentioned, he's going to pick up new fans along the way. Mostly, we've got to convince ourselves, and him, that this would not constitute failure, just a sort of settling down.

But if being a superstar is his goal...I'm right there with him, I just have a lesser chance at getting a good seat! :hysterical:

Ahem. Chick, you do realize you're in the middle of the storm like right now? And we're still under a flash flood watch?

The Republic of Texas rocked in a very politically incorrect way!

Wow, some great posts today. I agree, the IT and NAT were wonderful and fun, but he has grown tremendously since then. I can remember posts from people who only wanted the "rockin' Clay, some who only wanted the "singing" Clay, but for the most part, and I think the majority of us, just want Clay .. singing, rocking, walking, talking, joking, dancing, waving, winking, smiling, laughing. Generally...just "being", as long as it's where we can see him and enjoy him. The rest of the fans are going to be disappointed and move on, but I think the base will still be here. If he ends up entertaining in smaller venues and clubs, so be it. As long as it satisfies his soul and he's enjoying himself, so what? We're bound to benefit from it and, as people have mentioned, he's going to pick up new fans along the way. Mostly, we've got to convince ourselves, and him, that this would not constitute failure, just a sort of settling down.

But if being a superstar is his goal...I'm right there with him, I just have a lesser chance at getting a good seat! :hysterical:

Wording this whole post, especially the bolded parts. :clap:

Hi! Just checking in to say that the storm was mostly a non-event, well mostly for the people who already had hurricane supplies. I had to go out and get some last night (hurricane supplies), like batteries (for my flashlight) and bottled water and things. *Muski and annabear should be the ones doing this. The world is upside down*

I'm prepared! I've got emergency supplies! Which I hope I never have to use!

Wow, some great posts today. I agree, the IT and NAT were wonderful and fun, but he has grown tremendously since then.

I think the majority of us, just want Clay .. singing, rocking, walking, talking, joking, dancing, waving, winking, smiling, laughing. Generally...just "being", as long as it's where we can see him and enjoy him.

As long as it satisfies his soul and he's enjoying himself, so what? We're bound to benefit from it

But if being a superstar is his goal...I'm right there with him

Yep, yep, yep & yep, Claymatron :clap:

:Iluvclaysbutt:

ETA: So, muski, you and I are sharing a brain today? :2: Apparently.... (tm Sir Galahad) :hysterical:

Its not that I don't have a life, its just that these Clay things are so much damn fun!

Boy, is that the truth! And half of it is the anticipation - maybe more than half. If I know that a Clay trip is coming up, I start preparing months in advance. Gotta have the right clothes, set meetings with friends, schedule other sights to see along the way. I miss the anticipation as much right now as I miss the real thing!

I also think that NOT touring for a while might have the effect of growing his audience some - how many people just need a break from concerts (me) requiring travel, who are cash poor from Spamalot and the preceding Xmas and summer tours, and maybe absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Supply and demand. My bank account sure needed a break, but I would have found some way to go to a concert anyway this summer or fall. This way I can save for more.

I also agree with those thinking that, first of all, Clay DOES need the rest. Like most jobs you don't do....I think we have NO idea what "being Clay Aiken" entails on a day to day basis.

My husband and I have our own business and many people would be quite jealous that we were swimming in a river with our dogs yesterday afternoon. What they don't see, though, is my DH falling asleep at the computer doing the "behind the scenes" stuff many nights of the week or being away from home for days at a time. Sure, there's TC, but I imagine much more than we see falls on Clay's shoulders.

~

My apologies to those I quoted - I kept screwing up the quote tags and finally just went with generic quotes.

Ahem. Chick, you do realize you're in the middle of the storm like right now? And we're still under a flash flood watch?

The Republic of Texas rocked in a very politically incorrect way!

I have Internet access, a vending machine and a backup generator... what more do I need?...

... well, apart from a way home through non-flooded streets tonight but we'll worry about that when we come to it... have kayak will travel! :)

Long live the New Republic of Texas!

ETA: Couchie, I think we only rode the Big Dipper. The line for the Cyclone was too long so Solo went to get the rest of you and we rode bumper cars instead.

ETAA: Oooh, KAndre, watch for the concubine who's going to stage an uprising! (well, several... er, quite a lot!)

Republic my butt!

Long live the Glorious Texan Empire (Clay can be Emperor - I'll just run it for him)!

Ahem, beautiful concubines are always rescued from the Emperor by a poor but honest hero who needs to take her away from it all (I will explain it all to the hero in detail - I'm afraid the concubine is gonna be stuck with a faintly dim, but extremely good looking hero. Who can't sing. C'est la vie!) I, of course, will be left to...comfort...the Emperor. Heh.

We'll let Clay decide on which role he'd like to take -- bored, rich Emperor or poor but honest hero.

Josh Groban can be your emperor...

*betcha the hero has better songs too! Pbbbtttt!!!*

ETA:

*BTW, cute concubine just got told to go home to avoid getting her toes wet in any muddy floodwaters... see you later... continuing story from home!*

The Regent is keeping her fingers and toes crossed that she gets to go home early too...

No, no, no...my emperor can sing in an totally hot way...with all the violins he likes! He won't have time to be bored, conquering the world for it's own good...remember, the handsome, poor but honest, voice like a constipated goat hero is probably Pierce...I will test him out for you. Because I'm a giving (or taking, as the case may be) kind of power behind (or sitting on in some fashion) the throne.

Scarlett... be carefull out there!

Wish List:

Clay in a recurring role as Kenny's brother or cousin on 30 Rock.

Clay as Willie Wonka on Broadway.

An edgy TV-variety show on Sunday nights (in the vein of the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour from the 60's) with recurring skits and musical guests.

A movie, not a musical, but a straight comedy role, in something directed by Mike Nichols.

Clay eventually recording an album of songs with his own lyrics and titling it "Clayton"

I have been entertaining the thought that Clay may actually be rushing through albums because he has some other options when his contract with 19 Recording expires. Could it be a 5 album deal and Clay has done 4 of the 5 obligated projects? I'm thinking that Kelly Clarkson was on Idol in 2002 and has put out 3 CDs, while Clay was on Idol in 2003 and already has 4 1/2 albums under his belt, a bestselling book and a successful run on Broadway. I know RCA gets a rap for handling Clay's recording career, but do we know anything about 19's influence? I'm curious that 19 Recordings owns a piece of Clay's contract and yet wouldn't have him on AI in May because, as Clay said, they want to move on.

I think Clay has been working regularly since 2006 and I'm happy he's on an extended break to recharge. As far as absence making the heart grow fonder, I'm of course reminded of AI5 when I hadn't heard Clay's name mentioned in at least over a year (I never heard of the Jukebox Tour, among other things) and when I saw him on AI5 it was like a new incarnation of Clay Aiken that I fell in love with -- for the first time. I liked him before on AI2, but from my perspective he had reinvented himself and this was a signal that Clay Aiken was back better than ever, and I fell right in line. People just have different preferences, and while I know each and every one of you here adore the early Clay from Independent and NAT, I watch a lot of that clack and he is still green and learning the business so that some of it is just okay for me, yet I realize and respect that for most of you it's a pinnacle for him. I'm in the boat that Clay is still coming to terms with what he wants and how he wants to accomplish it, but he's always growing and improving and maybe even surprising himself a little all along the way. If I could change one thing about Clay, it would be for him to stop declaring boundaries for himself, because I think he can do anything he wants to do. He could say I choose not to do this, rather than I can't be taken seriously doing this. But, to sum up, I think the longer he's "away" the more changes we're apt to see when he returns. It's long-term advice from David Foster that the best career move an artist can make is to disappear from the scene for a while and come back with a BANG! If I could change one thing about the fandom in general, it's the sense that if Clay ever said it, he still means it. I couldn't count the numbers of times I changed my mind about some pretty important things between the ages of 25 and 30, and 30 and 40, and 40 and 50 -- and I think the plot, or subplot, of OMWH is that of change. So I don't go back to things Clay said four or five years ago to determine what his current mindset may be, or to hold his feet to the fire on something he said in a magazine interview once upon a time -- time and change are inevitable. I do know that there are immutables, and I still feel the same way today about some things that I felt at 13, so there are core beliefs in each of us, but a lot of stuff is variable, and should be, IMO. Life is for growing.

FYI: My company left this morning. If it took the threat of a storm to move them along, Viva Edouard! Not that I don't love my family, but to get a call out of the blue saying .... I need to get away for a while and I'm on my way to your house, and it's 10 pm when you get the message and they arrive at 11:00, and they stay for ten days ..... I am hospitable, but that's pushing it, don't you think? My mother was all, Tell them it's time for them to go home! ... but I have a hard time with that. I was, however, considering having KAndre give them a call for me. If I only had her gumption!!! Again, thank you Edouard!

LdyJ! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

ETA: Just because Clay's out of sight, doesn't mean he's on vacation. He could be working quite diligently -- reading scripts, rehearsing, putting together a tour band, taping, filming, writing, letting his hair grow longer, etc. Just because we can't see him, doesn't mean he's not working. Maybe he's working out in the gym and he'll come back in muscle shirts.

kf... I love the vast majority of your post!!! Expecially the muscle shirt idea!!! Even if he hadn't been working out... LOL

Congrats on your company leaving!

Maybe he's working out in the gym and he'll come back in muscle shirts.

BWAH! Oh, Lawdy, keepingfaith! This brings back some memories of early days and an appearance of Clay's where there were some behind the scenes pics of him standing legs apart, arms folded over chest and everyone was going nuts about how broad his shoulders looked and how his arms seemed more pumped or something.

Much fainting and drooling ensued.

And then the speculation started about how he was probably working out--now that he was a star and whatnot, donchaknow---Of course, he was touring at the time, and it CMSU to think of him working out--lifting those barges and totin' those free weights---while touring and being on stage 5 days out of six or some such absurd thing.

So I wrote a little 'essay' called "Clay Aiken---Buff Enough?" and proposed a scenario that Clay had outfitted one of his tour buses as a portable workout gym! :cryingwlaughter:

Heh...I gotta go look for that one...

muski... I remember that... OMG! Wan't it a behind the scenes from that big stadium show where Ryan Mecrest had a fan and her mother visit Clay... Wango Tango, that's it! Whew! Had a senior moment there. :cryingwlaughter:

I, too, think Clay was worn out and needs this break. It wasn't just the Xmas 07, then Mexico, then Spamalot and CD, then 2 very full weeks of promo... it was all the hours on the phone talking to TC and making decisions and looking at reports and making more decisions. Rehearsing and getting fitted for wardrobe for the play and for other stuff. For several months the only time he wasn't working in some manner was when he was sleeping. Now this is speculation on my part, of course.

I totally have faith that he will come back with guns blazing!

KAndre... BWAH!!!!

We had several bad storms roll through our area this morning, and one of the side effects was that we had no internet for the entire morning. When you job relies so much on accessing the internet, it really makes everything just stop.

luckiest1, you do realize, then, that Macca was about an hour and a half away from me? OMG. That would have been surreal.

As for Clay taking a break -- I guess I really didn't have ANY expectations on when and how he would return into my life. Why? Because I really try to just NOT have expectations regarding the man. I'm really a "roll with the punches" kind of gal in that respect Sure, it's nice to know ahead of time when a concert tour is coming, but part of the joy in following Clay Aiken has been the unexpected things that have happened.

I will say, though, that I feel he needed a MENTAL break as much as a physical break. He may be young, but I think he would be hard pressed to be able to continue for a span of October to May without much of a break, especially since I would guess that during much of that time, he was working 7-day weeks. And yes, IMO -- one of the "perks" of being a celebrity is to be able to take off several months at a time. Maybe it doesn't do anything for his career -- but do we know what kind of a career he wants?

ETA: On another matter...

The following people are "on notice" for a possible sporking, 'cause they volunteered to complile their "best of" the CITH songs, and have yet to do so...

ococe - atinal

mdyk - ansa

mcwl - cha cha trusty

cw - liney23

wwiak - ialreadyam

wtow - jmh123

wayc - PuddinsJoy

dsiafcd - couchie

aiw - kandre

Sporking shall commence on August 31, 2008. Hee.

luckiest1 made me do it... LOL

liney, thanks! There weren't many cars out but many roads were starting to flood.

*hopes that everyone gets home safely, Regents too! Including those who need to watch a Chick Flick or two... the poor but honest hero always, always has the best and biggest, uh voice... and role... and other stuff... why, even SF Action Adventure screenwriters know that!

{{{ldyj and anyone else with storms today}}}

Regarding the pinnacle thing ... I'm thinking of it in terms of the Beatles, which is my natural reference to most things musical. The Beatles reached the "toppermost of the poppermost" during Beatlemania, but it was after a period of withdrawal and reinvention into Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band that they were embraced and became the band revered throughout the music world. And that's because they were excellent musicians and they were constantly growing. This in no way demeans I Saw Her Standing There, Please Please Me, I Want to Hold Your Hand, nor the serious transitionals Revolver and Rubber Soul, nor would I part with my still vivid memories of early Beatlemania excitement. I'm just saying that they did consistently get better, expanding in every way imaginable, and the legend lives.

Believe me, I'm not for an instant saying that I wouldn't give anything to have had an awareness of Clay's career in 2004-05, and to have seen IT, NAT, JNT and JBT, news just never reached me. It did in 2006 when I watched the AI5 finale and was surprised to see a Clay Aiken I didn't even recognize, until he began to sing. And he was beautiful inside and out. His stage presence was overwhelmingly powerful in his reaction to the reaction. He was a real prince. Having the artist known as Prince follow him was anticlimactic. I believe that it was as a result of this night that he became Clay Aiken the star in his own right, transcending the American Idol factory in public consciousness.

There's no question for me about why Clay gets the heightened speculation about his sexuality in the media and why references to sexuality are forever mentioned in the tabloids. It's because he's overpoweringly sexy -- and everybody wants some. He's got the stuff and he keeps it close. I guess he still believes there's an advantage in not showing his cards. Damn, it just makes him sexier.

There's no question for me about why Clay gets the heightened speculation about his sexuality in the media and why references to sexuality are forever mentioned in the tabloids. It's because he's overpoweringly sexy -- and everybody wants some. He's got the stuff and he keeps it close. I guess he still believes there's an advantage in not showing his cards. Damn, it just makes him sexier.

gah

Tonight I'm listening to the prayer... and smiling. The first thing I'm gonna do if it's not true...is get back on my ship LOL.

But couchie, even IIT you can still ship them! He's only Jaymes' friend and sperm donor according to that impeccable source, the one even mainstream news uses as their impecable source, TMZ. So he can still have a lover on the side!

He may have already had a lover (Hannah?) on the side since Jaymes has been pregnant.

And on her back and on her front....... :whistling-1:

Oh, I like that point of view!!!

Except that Clay has shown his cards, some just don't want to believe they were on display. He just doesn't feel he needs to show that hand every time some idiot asks, because the idiots are still hoping he has shuffled and re-dealt.

Oh, I like that point of view!!!

Except that Clay has shown his cards, some just don't want to believe they were on display. He just doesn't feel he needs to show that hand every time some idiot asks, because the idiots are still hoping he has shuffled and re-dealt.

All this talk of cards kinda makes one think about Clay playing poker, no?

They all want him. They just don't all know it yet. :hubbahubba:

From the 'no wonder fans can't let the competition end' files ... Yahoo Music Live homepage

Hee! nothing to 'vote' for - just a little bit of a grin. It's strange they'd use Without You for a link, when they have the OMWH video. There is a link for it though (when you click through WY or the Interview link)

ETA: It was pointed out to me on the Clayboard that Ruben's song is also an older one (I had no idea - love the big guy, but not so much his music), which makes the whole thing even more strange. I'll take it though!!