#41: Clay Aiken Makes His Triumphant Return!

Couch Tomato

Thread Title  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What say ye - what's our new thread title?

• Life is short! Enjoy the Aiken!
    • We're still having fun, and you're still the one!
    • I hope he's just out there sinning right and left.
    • Yes, I will eat fish with blueberries or anything else he's touched.
    • Anarcho-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync omnivores for Clay Aiken
    • I am not going anywhere except to Spamalot.

I have read a lot over there these last few days. If you can get through all the quoting I would think it is indeed a very small percentage may be as little as 5% or less that are OTT. Now there may be a 95% that have left and are not posting about it I don't know if we will know until it's time to re-up.

I have a feeling that the number of people causing all the ruckus is relatively few...it's just that they are posting over and over and over. They're like a dog with a bone..can't give it up.

As I hop from board to board......and that is a feat in itself....I find the "majority " of fans (with brains) seem to have settled with this news and a few are now trying to concentrate on helping the struggling ones......but I have to say that there are a few struggling fans( or some overly dramatic ones...whichever you prefer) that don't really want to be helped. Too bad...so sad...that's their loss. Personally, I am getting tired of it. :cry4:

He seems to be gettng a really good reception at the SD and the shows are going well. The majority of fans are still with him, the entertainment shows are being really nice...all in all,I do believe at some point we may have some semblance of normalcy in this fandom. Now if they would just stop that thread at the OFC and put all the other threads in the back of the boards( you know some of them are just wailing for attention....so put them away)...the one's wrestling with their religion will figure it out eventually......then maybe we can get started on this new chapter of the Clay Aiken Group of Fans ( with brains) Club.

Sorry, that was a weird post , but I was reading at the OFC and my brain is still scrambled..........DUH !!!!!!!!!

AND IT'S STILL TRUE :013085001176249046:

I think that the people who are leaving are there stating so over and over and over in two threads. Really, there's a group of religious nutcases, and they just post repeatedly and quote each other. There are many, many people posting support. PLUS, I expect any day that we'll see new Gay Clay websites popping up. That will frost the cookies of those nuts.

I'm coming out, world!!!! and OFC, of course. The funniest thing I read, yesterday was that being gay was the least of Clay's problems with that hair on Paula's. Heee!! I thought his hair was fine, but the post just hit me funny.

First thing DH said when Clay came in to view!

I just cannot stand the religious tracts outlining how homosexuality is a sin and how Clay can remain celibate. I feel like screaming, "ARE YOU FUCKING NUTS?????" Why in the hell do they think that Clay would say the actual words "gay" and "homosexual" unless he planned to act accordingly. He even said he might find someone. Talk about delusional.

I'm dead sure that stupidity is a bigger sin than homosexuality.

Yeah, and sadly, it's not even been made illegal!

Wanda, you been doin' good, Girl!

G'night, folks!

It's been interesting over at OFC, that's for sure!

:nightienight:

You know what though? As much as those people suck. And suck they do. I still think they're a very small minority. I have a mostly good feeling about the fanbase - for the most part 'we' have handled this far better than I ever expected. That Aiken fella's a pretty damn special guy.

I agree. You know, I have to say, I'm actually impressed with the majority of Clay Nation. I always thought that if Clay came out, the reaction would be much more negative. In fact, a lot of people I thought would really struggle with this have actually been surprisingly supportive.

Sure, some of the Christian fundamentalists have abandoned him. And there are all those obsessed with this "He lied, and lied about not lying." But it seems to me that the vast majority have either embraced him, or are struggling but still trying to come to terms with it.

Even at the OFC, I think if you really look at it, I think it's actually just a small number of bitter people who just keep posting over and over again. I think the majority support Clay, but so many can't bear the tone that the trolls and haters seem over represented.

I agree, Jenna. I am actually surprised at how few are negative, and how quickly some who expressed they were struggling in the beginning have come around. I know someone who once told me the only deal breaker to her would be if he came out as gay because that would mean he lied. When the news broke, her first reaction was that she felt betrayed. By the end of day one she understood why he had lied. After reading People and watching GMA she was pretty good with it. Now she has accepted it, understands why he didn't tell us and still loves him as much as ever.

I really thought more in the Clay Nation would implode and some I thought would surely lose it didn't. I do think those who have obviously lost their minds at the OFC are the very few and really enjoy hearing themselves talk! That said, I know there are some who are struggling with the news and trying very hard to get through it. I think to most it all takes some getting used to. I know when I saw him on GMA casually say "I'm a gay man" it actually took me aback, and I am sure I am not the only one that happened to.

I am impressed and surprise at how overwhelmingly this fandom has stood by him. I didn't become his fan because he was straight and I sure as hell am not going to not be his fan because he is gay! From what I have seen, it looks like most of this fandom feels the same way.

Thanks to those who answered my question. I was thinking that was the case, but when I would read one of those posts filled with animosity and then see it worded I would cringe, but I was hoping it was just a few of them who were going around and showing support for each other.

Last weekend I started working again on rating my song from the CITH tour, I didn't get too far, I guess I probably listened to 12 versions of OCOCE. I can't think of a single other singer that I could listen to sing the same song over and over particularly a Christmas song when it's 85% outside. That's pretty much what it boils down to for me. I want to look forward with hope that the best is really yet to come.

I had a thought about some of those who are so concerned about Clay lying. Are they people who posted "unconditional" in the Circle the Wagons thread? If they did, they lied.

Oh, yeah, CG, I'm still drooling over Clay! His revelation isn't gonna stop me one bit! :hubbahubba: :hubbahubba: :hubbahubba:

I ventured over to the OFC, and for the moment things are actually pretty nice in the big People thread. I added a nice post, and will keep going over there once in awhile to post something positive. It won't keep the trolls from spewing their vitriol, but I want to make a least a little contribution to making the thread more positive.

I had a thought about some of those who are so concerned about Clay lying. Are they people who posted "unconditional" in the Circle the Wagons thread? If they did, they lied.

Heeee, you're right. Now we need to confront them about it and see if they lie about lying. :schwirr:

One of the posters said she loved him unconditionally but couldn't love him gay. I felt like posting a link to the dictionary. She obviously never understood the definition of the word.

I said unconditionally back then and I meant it. Hee I guess I was not lying.

Ok, someone else got a hug at the stage door! Coming out sure has made him a hands on kind of guy!

From CV via the CH:

report from stage door......Clay was wearing a beige shirt & jeans.....Clayphan got her hug & an autograph & video!

From OFC via t he CH:

Originally Posted by jax5230

Okay, so it was a full-on hug. The playbills were getting wet so when he got to Clayphan, he said something like "Yours is already soaked!" and then signed the inside of her Playbill by his name. While he was doing that she said "you know what would be better..." and he said "I know, I know!" and gave her a hug.

WOOOHOOOOOOOO!

From Clayversity:

Originally Posted by Clayphan76

Thanks Jax5230 for sending the reports for me!!!!

Okay.......it was FREAKING GREAT!!!!! Sorry for the excitement...lolol!!! He was so animated tonight!!!! He seemed a bit giggly as the guard in the tower. During the "Not Dead Yet" song, when the dead people come alive, he jumped back and said, "Oh sh*t!!" Then during the Camelot dance, when one of the girls came near him, he said, "shake it for me!!". Then, when the LOTL came out to do her thing during that song wearing the suit of armor, he said, "Oh sh*t" again and then said something about how shiny it was. After that scene, when the thunder claps, he yelled out, "Oh God!!!" Towards the end of YWSOB, when Tom tossed him the cane/baton, he dropped it, but shimmied while trying to grab it. YES, YES, YES, everyone....HE SANG AMEN as Brother Maynard!!!!! In the last scene, when he comes out and says, "And I too have found my grail!!!" his top hat was flattened by both his hands. But, as he started to say, "musical theater", he let it pop up and then he put it on his head. He did a little dance with Bedevere and Patsy at the end and was swinging his hips around. Grrrrrrrr.....he still makes my ovaries quiver...hahahaha!!!! Then, as you all know, it was raining but he came out to do sd anyway. When he got up to me, I was at the end, he said something about my Playbill being soaked. So, he took it and started going through it for a dry place to sign. As he did that, I said, "Well, you know what would be better...." So, he said, yeah, I know...." Then, I said, "I'm beginning to think I'm everything you don't need". After I said that, he laughed. As he handed it back to me, he said he signed it on the bio and then said come here. He held his arms out and pulled me right in for that hug!!!!! I didn't think it was possible, I love that man even more!!! I have video, it's uploading on megaupload right now. It says it has 1 hour and 10 minutes left. Sorry for the wait, and I also appologize for the video during and after the hug because my camera went pretty much everywhere...hahahaha!!! After I post the link, please feel free to upload however and wherever you please. You all know I have no clue about this stuff...lolol!!!

I just got back from my trip to todays matinee (I take trains and it takes a long time) and I was just trying to read through and see what other recaps/stage door items you've already gotten but wow, you guys, there are 27 pages just today!!! I can't get through it all, I'm tired. So here are my 2 pm Sun Matinee recap notes and sorry if I repeat what you've heard:

--I ran into amazed in nj before the show and although I had an obstructed view seat bought at the last minute, she had 2nd row center seats but her DH didn't come, so she let me sit with her! Wow, fab seats! You could see Clay's green eyes so well I'm sure I missed 90% of the rest of what was on stage...

-- Clay did get his loud hello when he appeared in the window... not as loud as opening wkd but loud compared to other visits in his last round

-- Tom Deckman was back, Clay poked him once with his rod for his triangle -- trying to see if he was really alive -- thought that was new, but maybe I was just closer...

-- He was such a ham in the all-for-one, just beaming (my fav part) and got a cheer for the idol line

-- In the Camalot scene when he carried the dice over, one of the ladies ran her scarf along his neck (never saw that before)

-- he was talking or mouthing things to the girls during the Camalot scene - the only thing I heard clearly was "you better watch out"

-- he did sort of a shoulder undulating body move, got screams, when he was to the left in Camalot scene, if you hadn't been looking that way I'll bet you would wonder what was going on.

-- His soiled his pants/Robin's song theme was great and had a great response

-- He had head fully down and was quaking when God was explaining about the grail (quail?). He and the king were really milking the quail/vessel/boat part (in a good way); they took their time. After the cymbal joke, Robin said quietly something like "that isn't what he meant... or was it?" with large facial expressions like Robin was pondering...

-- He was being extra scaredy-cat when they ran away from the french

-- in one of the parts when Clay "dismounts", he brought his leg way way up then down (he sure is getting limber)

-- His own big song was just fabulous and probably had the biggest audience response. He stopped to get the response prior to piano and in the turn at piano (yes, there was some screaming, mmm, might have been me :blush: His big notes were so big! Especially noticed a great response to his putting on the hat and starting the dance (btw, yes lots of tongue).

--Knights of Ni joke was that he could see Russia from his house -- got major laugh and response from the audience (umm, I'm clueless since didn't see all of debate last night I suspect...)

-- Like last week, his guard this time was duuuumb, rather than the ribbon-braiding space cadet of last run, he had both ears out!!

--Brother Maynard so well paced, big pause before "2" got laughs.

--finale scene he got a big response when he came out and said he found his grail (can I mention how good he looks in that white tux?)

--got a number of us on our feet (2nd row and back, don't know what was going on in front) for standing o when he came out at end, not as big as last weekend, but fine. He did give a big smile at one point.

Overall, I think we did show him the love. I wasn't disappointed at all. Orchestra seemed full except for obstructed view seats at ends.

At stage door, Clay came out without much warning and the ladies at the start didn't have their playbills out yet so he said he'd come back to them at the end, then he did the whole line mighty fast and came back to them, they were not ready and he said "you were supposed to get ready...you had twenty minutes!!" (jokingly). He was going fast. I told him he should be himself, we love him and he said "well thank you so much" (or something, my brain does tend to short circuit within 1 meter of him), I think he was just trying to go fast so if he actually heard anything I'm not sure. No hugging or great big smiles, just a medium smile and an efficient yet calm, take-playbill-scribble-hand-back, take-playbill-scribble-hand-back, take-playbill-scribble-hand-back rhythym. I'm terrible at estimating numbers, maybe 50 people? It wasn't that hard to make it to the first or second row of people, but I'm sure Clay saw a wall of faces in front of him even if the alley was not filled.

And, although last week my new camera came home a *virgin*, this week she got clack! I got two good pics and a vid of the SD (after the point of signing mine). Unfortunately, I don't have the software & cord to download with me now (darn!!) and will have to go get it tomorrow so I can get that to you. It is my first vid, so I may need some faculty help....

Thanks for the updates from the OFC. Overall I'm gonna to agree that things are much better than I ever thought they would be if Clay came out. They need to remove that quote feature from OFC. Why can't people just REPLY or delete most of the text of what they are replying to. Maybe Clay can extend his teaching capabilities to teaching people how to post correctly on a message board. Cuz seriously 1 page over there is like 3 posts of new material.

I can't believe I fell asleep right after Jeff said GO on TAR.

Thanks for the Spam updates and photos.

ETA: Trophywife..loved your post and hope to see more of you.

Thanks Couch Tomato!

I hope we can come together as a fandom and rise above the homophobic label we have been unfairly given as a group. ITA it could have been much worse so to see the love and support at the begining, especially at the OFC, was encouraging.

While all the clack of Spamalot and the various news/entertainment shows have been good, I'm so anxious to see Clay in front of a live television audience like at Jimmy Kimmel's show. I want the audience to go nuts and just show him the love. Speaking of talk shows, has Ellen mentioned Clay yet? I'm thinking no because I'm sure someone would have seen it or it would have mentioned somewhere on ET or Access.

I love that last pic of Clay. He seems so carefree.

Can't stop staring at little Parker on the People cover! I think this is the first time that I have not read the rest of the magazine beside's Clay article. It looks like Parker does have his daddy's long fingers. Wonder if he has Clay's toes.

ETA: Sigh. Lurking at another board. Lying debate again. Maybe the new thread title should be Liar!Liar!PANTS! on fire! Clay maybe torching up puppies to some but seriously, what did poor Waldo do to us?

ETA: Well Waldo hasn't come out yet so maybe I still have a chance. Though when asked DTTR or DTTL he just ignored the question. ;) I love the Observer article. It's so good to see Clay written about in a positive light.

Thanks for the updates from the OFC. Overall I'm gonna to agree that things are much better than I ever thought they would be if Clay came out. They need to remove that quote feature from OFC. Why can't people just REPLY or delete most of the text of what they are replying to. Maybe Clay can extend his teaching capabilities to teaching people how to post correctly on a message board. Cuz seriously 1 page over there is like 3 posts of new material.

I once wrote a routine to bounce posts that had more quotes than original material and then send an e-mail to the poster explaining how he/she needed to actually contribute something to the discussion. Clique needs to implement something like that as well as stronger authentication.

Speaking of talk shows, has Ellen mentioned Clay yet? I'm thinking no because I'm sure someone would have seen it or it would have mentioned somewhere on ET or Access.
I know any talk show is good for Clay's career, but if Ellen, who was closeted for so long, did not have Clay on because she felt he was closeted, she is an ass. I think she is a petty ass anyway, because of the dog thing.

Evidently this is on the ABC site, but was edited out of the on-air version:

from Clay in the online article on ABC.com The bolded line was edited out of the broadcast.

Quote:

"I'm sure that there are people who will grapple with it, you know. I'm sure that emotions will run the gamut from people who already knew, to people who really believed that it wasn't true. You know, the best I can do is say that I tried and I know that you know this, as hard as I could over the past five years, never to lie about it."

And he was talking to Diane, who I expect knew how hard he tried. He was not speaking directly to the fans.

My favorite thing is that they keep insisting they can't understand why people say they are homophobic when they are just saying what the Bible says.

Unfortunately, I have also heard this in RL. Some people's definition of homophobia is that it means someone afraid of gay people. They are not afraid, they just don't agree with the lifestyle, or so it has been explained to me. Also, some people believe that since being gay is a "choice", if one does not give in to the temptation (which is of course the devil) and does not engage in homosexual behaviour (i.e. sex) then one will still go to heaven. I refuse to paint all Christians with the same brush so you will notice I just said "some people". My grandmother was a born-again Christian, and she and I got into a lot of theological discussions and arguments over the years, but she died 11 days after I left my husband. It was a crazy time and I was pretty close to a nervous breakdown I'm sure (and still not "out" to many), but the greatest gift she ever gave me was when she said to me, somewhere during those 11 days, "It's ok. I know. And I still love you."

I am impressed and surprise at how overwhelmingly this fandom has stood by him. I didn't become his fan because he was straight and I sure as hell am not going to not be his fan because he is gay! From what I have seen, it looks like most of this fandom feels the same way.

ITA. If I look at the big picture, I am still pleasantly surprised at how many are sticking around. I think it's a vast majority. However, I'm so ready for the hoopla to be over, I went to bed emotionally exhausted last night. I hope, one day, the term "gay friendly" won't be necessary anymore. Maybe in my daughter's lifetime.

ETA: I love the new stage door pics but especially

<<<<<<< that one. :wub:

Thanks for bringing over the stagedoor pics!

I thought there'd be a burst of activity for Spam's opening week-end, and then the boards would settle down into the ordinary cycle of recaps and stagedoor pictures with little new news as the Spam stuff became routine again. Guess I was wrong, huh? :cryingwlaughter:

Speaking of talk shows, has Ellen mentioned Clay yet? I'm thinking no because I'm sure someone would have seen it or it would have mentioned somewhere on ET or Access.
I know any talk show is good for Clay's career,
but if Ellen, who was closeted for so long, did not have Clay on because she felt he was closeted, she is an ass. I think she is a petty ass anyway, because of the dog thing

Do you mean has Clay been on her show EVER? He has previously, long ago.

Awwww don't be mean.... I know the dog thing was a bit over the top but as a dog lover, I can understand the emotional trauma, especially when there are kids involved and she felt responsible for causing the trauma to the kids.

Anyone seen this?

(I think I agree with him about Lindsay...)Interesting...

Good Morning Everyone,

19 Days until The BAF Gala!

:yahoo:

25 Days until Clay is Roasting Matt Lauer!

62 Days until Clay's Golden Birthday!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim