#41: Clay Aiken Makes His Triumphant Return!

Couch Tomato

Thread Title  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What say ye - what's our new thread title?

• Life is short! Enjoy the Aiken!
    • We're still having fun, and you're still the one!
    • I hope he's just out there sinning right and left.
    • Yes, I will eat fish with blueberries or anything else he's touched.
    • Anarcho-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync omnivores for Clay Aiken
    • I am not going anywhere except to Spamalot.

Crap - the office won't let me see your site, ldyj...

This is my all time worst ever Clay outfit:

20.jpg.

Wrong. So very wrong...

I lurve that outfit!! :flirtysmile3:

I'm at the Syracuse airport--flight delayed. Free internet. Wheeee!!!

I'd much rather bring the (hopefully) funny, but sometimes I feel like I have to post the serious, too.

I think perhaps it's become all too easy to brush off the rantings of some poster at out in the wilds of the Clay Nation not-so-fondly known as "Elsewhere" that I honestly don't know from Adam. I find it much harder to dismiss the thoughts and uncertainty being expressed by posters I feel like I know from here, who've always been level-headed and thoughtful and kind to me. I may not share the turmoil, but I want to try to empathize and not contribute to unnecessary divisiveness. I hope the door is always open, and time is allowed for feelings to become more settled. Ya know what I mean?

Words said in anger, aimed at someone

Are hard to take back, once the damage is done.

OMG I spent last night and this morning trying to explain why (unlike you) have no empathy for the he lied about lying and he lied stuff..and you sum it up for me perfectly. Hope you dont' mind but will be sharing your words with others. Thanks Jenna!

ETA: Damn does OMWH the song and the album take on new meaning. This is the first time I"ve listened since we knew and I have to say..it's a totally different experience. A good one!

I HIGHLY (not dancing nanner highly either!) recommend listening to OMWH (song and album) again - it really is incredible. In every way.

Yeah, that!!!!!

I've been saying that every since last Tuesday! I've been listening exclusively to OMWH (the album) and finding new gems in almost every song. And I sooooo wish we would get a new single! So many of the songs would be relevant to Clay's revelation, and may be more popular now because they would be perceived as more authentic.

The news of this past week reminded me of being seven years old and getting glasses for the first time. I was struck by how clear everything suddenly looked to me, including OMWH and some puzzling events over the past five years.

Yup, I'm having the same experience. That's what I was saying when I posted about listening to Clay's music, from AI to now, and feeling like a curtain had been pulled away. Not only do I understand Clay better, but his music means more. Somehow I feel the same joy I felt when I first 'met' Clay, and it's bowling me over again!

:manynanas:

:dancemexicannana::dancemexicannana::dancemexicannana::dancemexicannana::dancemexicannana::dancemexicannana:

:manynanas:

I'm at the Syracuse airport--flight delayed. Free internet. Wheeee!!!

Then I'll send you another PM - I'm really hoping we can get together and dish about our sexy and handsome (and at times fashion-challenged) guy!

I have a confession to make. I'm sorely ashamed.

I actually caught myself, for one brief moment, shipping Clay. Imagining him being held and loved.

In my defense, it was with Anderson Cooper.

Nonetheless....I'm ashamed.

ETA: I have no idea if AC is gay, but since I have the hots for him, I was willing to share him with someone I love--Clay.

Hey. You are me. I've already tried shipping him with Tom Deckman, but decided that would be too manic a pairing. I settled on Chris Siebert (even though he is in a committed relationship.) I always really liked the on-stage chemistry between them.

It seems that Claymania has returned to the Schubert, but I'm glad I was there on a night when there were very few Clayfans in the audience. It really showed how well he fit into the cast, even without the screaming Zombie Hordes (Whores?). Someone not knowing who he was ( and there were many in the audience that night) would never have picked him out as a novice or not being up to the standard of the rest of the cast. That's quite an accomplishment! This is freaking Broadway and Clay is working with seasoned vetrans who have been honing their craft for many, many years.

Maybe the response to him wasn't the loudest and longest, but it was very, very good. The only joke that didn't go over very well that night was the "Idol" line. That told me that many in the audience didn't know who he was. Where I was sitting there were lots of European tourists. While not always getting some of the intricate word play, they loved the broader comedy.

ETA Waves to jmh. Have a safe journey home! If you get stuck there, call me!

Completely OT - all about me - WARNING! :)

Had two of my doc appts today. (All my dates these days are with docs! LOL)

First one, ENT. So I may have the sinus surgery. It's considered by ins. as elective, so cost is something we need to factor in. But it seems like it might be something that will improve the next (last? ) 10-12 years of my life. Not something I look forward to, but maybe something I've needed for a while. It appears my repeated infections are related to anatomy and not allergies as I thought!

Second - gastrointerologist. Follow up to the colitis I was so sick with last year.

Yay! He says no need for a colonoscopy at this time! Whoo-hoo!

So - tomorrow I hope to get the stitches out from my self-inflicted whack on the head. We'll see. Today I combed my bangs a bit over my forehead and you hardly notice the stitches, so I'm not as concerned about the scar as I was.

~~~

So - are things settling down any at OFC? I'm skeered to go back over and look. I think I wanna stay in my happy place.

This is the first I've been online since 7:45, so I'm wa-a-a-a-ay behind!

I'd much rather bring the (hopefully) funny, but sometimes I feel like I have to post the serious, too.

I think perhaps it's become all too easy to brush off the rantings of some poster at out in the wilds of the Clay Nation not-so-fondly known as "Elsewhere" that I honestly don't know from Adam. I find it much harder to dismiss the thoughts and uncertainty being expressed by posters I feel like I know from here, who've always been level-headed and thoughtful and kind to me. I may not share the turmoil, but I want to try to empathize and not contribute to unnecessary divisiveness. I hope the door is always open, and time is allowed for feelings to become more settled. Ya know what I mean?

Words said in anger, aimed at someone

Are hard to take back, once the damage is done.

Thanks Bottle. I need to hear the sentiment and be reminded not to paint everything with a broad stroke. I understand that my inability to grasp other's feelings is judgemental. And I vacillate between caring and not caring that I feel this way. The hard part is the more they in all good faith try to explain it to me the more it doesn't make any sense to me. All I want to say is oooohhhh poor you, look at what you're going through. IT ISN'T ABOUT YOU! What you are feeling is just a whiff of what clay has been going through for the last 5 years. Where is YOUR empathy.

Not all of us are the PERFECT PERSON like Clay <TM Jaymes :cryingwlaughter: >

It seems that Claymania has returned to the Schubert, but I'm glad I was there on a night when there were very few Clayfans in the audience. It really showed how well he fit into the cast, even without the screaming Zombie Hordes (Whores?). Someone not knowing who he was ( and there were many in the audience that night) would never have picked him out as a novice or not being up to the standard of the rest of the cast. That's quite an accomplishment! This is freaking Broadway and Clay is working with seasoned vetrans who have been honing their craft for many, many years.

I had a similar experience when my mom & I were there in April. Friday night, we were front row center, so I was pretty much oblivious to anything going on behind us - the theatre could have been on fire and I wouldn't have known! Or cared... Saturday there were plenty of fans, too. We hadn't planned to go again on Sunday, but when we just happened :whistling-1: by the Shubert and saw that both Hannah & Rick were back, well, my credit card hopped right out of my purse and onto the ticket counter. It was on the "Idol of my age" line that people realized who he was.

Around lunch time, I mosied over to the OFC, Cotton. The mood has lightened considerably in the big thread and some people seem to actually be interested in talking with each other now.

Good posts above, Jenna, luckiest & bottle.

ETA: I had the same conversation with someone this weekend, merrieeee. It's maddening. I actually had a co-owrker on Fri. say that to me. We were just sitting at our desks and out of the blue she just asked me, "Well who didn't know Clay Aiken was gay?" I think it's just that it was perpetuated for so long by the media, people who otherwise "knew" nothing else about the man, thought that much must be true. Nevermind his talent. Grrrrrrrr.....

So how come everybody and his brother "knew" Clay was gay? From the media/blogger types who are going "neener, neener, I knew and you didn't" to a couple of my co-workers who in essence said Duh!

Did no one except us allow him the courtesy of self defining? I'm sure that a lot of us had hints. I know I had my doubts and saw signs but I always felt until he said something It was not my place to comment. Now my co-workers are like "Well who didn't know that"?

Was it really that obvious to the NJU? Was there really an alternate universe where everyone knew he was gay except a lot of fans?

I have a confession to make. I'm sorely ashamed.

I actually caught myself, for one brief moment, shipping Clay. Imagining him being held and loved.

In my defense, it was with Anderson Cooper.

Nonetheless....I'm ashamed.

ETA: I have no idea if AC is gay, but since I have the hots for him, I was willing to share him with someone I love--Clay.

It's ok wanda, I think AC is hawt, too. I could have sworn he was 'out', but I guess I imagined it. Anyway, I think he and Clay would make a hott couple. And their initials match "AC & CA". And he's age-appropriate (11 years Clay's senior). And he has class. Clay needs a classy partner.

Oh good lord. I can't believe I'm shipping him already. Someone slap me.

Was it really that obvious to the NJU? Was there really an alternate universe where everyone knew he was gay except a lot of fans?

1. Yes, apparently.

2. I think they think we're the ones living in the alternate universe.

All I know is that my DD asked me, "Mom, did you really think he was straight?" She was very polite about it, not mocking or anything, but she just really didn't understand why I couldn't see what to her was so obvious. I just told her that I'd wondered, but he said he wasn't and I like to take people at their word.

Ahhhhhhhhh, don't get me started on the "I knew it all along" thing. Can't stand it because to me, anyone saying it is being ridiculous. You can't "know" that about someone else, it's impossible, unless they told you.

Hey. You are me. I've already tried shipping him with Tom Deckman, but decided that would be too manic a pairing. I settled on Chris Siebert (even though he is in a committed relationship.) I always really liked the on-stage chemistry between them.

Does anyone know if David Hibbard is available? ;)

Argh! Someone here recommended the movie Unconditional Love the other day, and since I like Kathy Bates anyways and the subject is relevant, I downloaded it through torrents.....or thought I did. It's freaking in Spanish or Italian! Not even subtitles, either, they talk right over the English. Guess I'll head over to the rental store after dinner.

Oh good lord. I can't believe I'm shipping him already. Someone slap me.

Bwah

Hey I love Andersen so no objection here.

ETA: For me I guess I never gave it much thought. I went on what I had. And come to think about it I never ever thought he was gay. Do I feel stupid now. No. Why should I. It's not my life and it doesn't affect me in any way. But I also never defended him so maybe the difference. The only people in my life that actually said he was gay was my bil and my aunt. I was telling my brother in law about some of the fall out and he couldn't believe it. Just because he thought he was gay he wasn't invested in it nor did he give me any told you so's. My aunt - well she doesn't like her kids dating white people and she has no trouble saying that to my mother who has a white daughter in law and a Philipino son in law. So you know how much I value that opinion.

merrieeee, that is something that bothers me now too. Nobody who said they knew could know. They weren't Clay's confidant or lover so they had no way to know. There were just as many "signs" that he was not gay as there were that he was. I really hate the stereotypes so until someone actually comes out and says one way or the other, I'm going to assume they are straight (unless its Richard Simmons, and God I hope he's asexual cuz I just don't want that picture in my head). I did this for Ellen and Rosie, and I'll do it for anyone else. Not because I think its preferable to be straight, but because I don't like how many in the media and entertainment industries mock those they assume to be gay. I don't think they are funny, and I also don't people's sex lives are fair game. Unless its about a right wing politician or religious leader who has been condemning others for the very same thing they are doing, sex jokes are just not funny.

I don't think it was naive of us not to have seen. I think, to many of our credit, we didn't simply didn't rely on stereotypes. In this case it was true, but it doesn't always apply and to automatically assume we know anything about anothers sex life is awfully presumptuos to me. Although there are some fans who were way too invested in his sexuality, on both sides, and both sides truly burn my butt. It really should not be that big of an issue since it doesn't define him, and isn't nearly the most interesting thing about him. Although thinking of him having sex still works for me.

And Jenna, I agree with everyone else about your post.

I always thought there was a possibility he was gay...and a possibility that he was straight. I just didn't give a damn.

Really, I just want someone to love him. He's such a wonderful man. I'd hate to think he goes through life without (a) passionate love affair(s).

Now THAT would be a waste.

I honestly don't think we have to worry on that point, however. He has looked much too confident in himself to NOT be getting any.

ETA: I don't really think that the NJU had any more insight into Clay's sexuality than anyone else--it's just that they were more influenced by the relentless media depiction of him as gay.

Around lunch time, I mosied over to the OFC, Cotton. The mood has lightened considerably in the big thread and some people seem to actually be interested in talking with each other now.

ETA: I had the same conversation with someone this weekend, merrieeee. It's maddening. I actually had a co-owrker on Fri. say that to me. We were just sitting at our desks and out of the blue she just asked me, "Well who didn't know Clay Aiken was gay?" I think it's just that it was perpetuated for so long by the media, people who otherwise "knew" nothing else about the man, thought that much must be true. Nevermind his talent. Grrrrrrrr.....

Thanks. It's good to hear things are calming down.

You know I think it's not only generous, but pretty smart - even though it's been irritating to me - what Clay did. Not only did he give people a "safe" place to explore this new reality and give him a window on the fandom, I think he knew there would be people there who would and could talk some down off the ledge.

Even though there were some I wanted to slap silly or snatch bald-headed (as we say down South), there were some very thoughtful, informative posts.

So how come everybody and his brother "knew" Clay was gay? From the media/blogger types who are going "neener, neener, I knew and you didn't" to a couple of my co-workers who in essence said Duh!

Did no one except us allow him the courtesy of self defining? I'm sure that a lot of us had hints. I know I had my doubts and saw signs but I always felt until he said something It was not my place to comment. Now my co-workers are like "Well who didn't know that"?

You know this is my biggest beef. Thank goodness nobody has said that crap to me!

But - I don't care if someone DID believe he was/is gay, they didn't KNOW it just based on observing him! Damnit!

And it pisses me off that it's okay for people to say that. Especially people in the media and people like Simon Cowell who has some influence of lives of young people every day!

I know I've said this before, but - I wish I had a magic wand that would make people who say they have great gaydar break out in tongue boils!

And I love the "even a broken clock is right twice a day" saying. So apt.

I am not stupid.

So when Clay said he wasn't gay, I took him at his word. And there are fair, freckled, red-haired, sensitive musicians in my family who are straight as one can be so I never 'bought' the 'signs' people were selling. Every time someone would point at this or that to "prove" that he was gay, I'd say - really? That looks just like something my father would do or say. And I know that man wasn't gay!

And it's nobody's damned business anyway unless you are planning on asking the person for a date!

And, yes, we are the ones who allowed Clay to be Clay. As it should be.

Yeah, what you said Merrieeee! I always compared Clay to my 18-year old grandson. They are both skinny, extremely smart, somewhat nerdy, with huge feet. They even walk the same. My grandson would always tell me that Clay was gay and that he "knew" things. Okay, whatever. But then, my grandson acknowledged he was gay a few months ago. I started wondering then. Of course the baby thing was a no brainer IMO. After the news hit the internet, I received a text from my grandson saying, "Everything will be okay grandma." I guess I have absolutely no gaydar at all. LOL

I must be the only one here who remembers the little Anderson Cooper dust-up from a couple of years ago. Maybe I do because it was early in my on-line fan experience (summer 2006), but I remember it nonetheless. There was a sighting of Clay having dinner at Nobu in NY with Anderson Cooper. The person who witnessed this or had the report of it was optimistic that this meant that Clay would be getting an interview with AC for the ATDW promo. And then there were a couple of posters who thought it wasn't a good idea to mention this sighting so much because AC is rumored to be .... well, you know ... so that little sighting was dropped like a hot potato.

Hmmmmm. Clay is a big news junkie. He says he watches CNN religiously. Anderson is a doll. He's a Vanderbilt. I heard him say on CNN back in 2006 about Taylor Hicks ... "He's no Clay Aiken!" In fact, I still have that clip saved.

Okay so I'm easily carried away. But dammit I'm sorry, I love shipping.

If anybody's interested there are a couple new threads on the CB for drooling and celebrating the Hot! New! Dad! Nice to see them at the top of the page.

Something occured to me as I went to post in one of them, and I thought I'd share it here.

Today is the day - maybe his first real 'day off' since this whole ride began.

I am so happy for him, and SO ready to follow him along the rest of this awesome journey.

Turn around and see what love's done for me

You would not believe the way I used to be, so cold

Maybe love requires

Walking through the fire

To set me free

So I could rise up from the ashes

I found this quote recently - The finest steel has to go through the hottest flame - Clay is the finest quality steel.

I think that the secrecy and rules about topics so prevalent on un-named boards have contributed to the perception that Clay was straight and projecting a straight image. Anybody who suggested otherwise was stomped on and, because NO discussion was allowed--or it was allowed with strict rules and in secret forums--the people who really don't care didn't have a voice. I was furious with JP and the tabloids because I think people's sex lives are their business. I hate to see people profiting from another. When there was the "Circling the wagon" thread at OFC, I signed and said my support was unconditional. I meant that. I didn't care if he'd been out boinking the Dallas cowboys--OR cheerleaders.

I was certainly guilty of indescretions in my youth. Who isn't/wasn't? I expect that Clay has been indiscreet at times--and for sure we'll be hearing about it--and seeing pictures.

And because I'm such a true, loyal loving fan--putting Clay before my prurient interests--I'm praying that his pictures won't be naked.

I just cannot stand the religious tracts outlining how homosexuality is a sin and how Clay can remain celibate. I feel like screaming, "ARE YOU FUCKING NUTS?????" Why in the hell do they think that Clay would say the actual words "gay" and "homosexual" unless he planned to act accordingly. He even said he might find someone. Talk about delusional.

I'm dead sure that stupidity is a bigger sin than homosexuality.

Hee. I’m with you.

And call me crazy, but Clay’s comment about “someday” finding someone reminded me very strongly of the David Duchovny interview from years ago when he told Barbara Walters that he and Tea hadn’t discussed marriage. They got married the very next day. Barbara made a big deal of looking at the interview again for DD’s “denial” and he’s clearly lying. Smiling through the denial – he even says no but his head bobs in a yes. It was rather hilarious. But when Clay said that I was immediately reminded of David. Something about the way he said it. Not saying he has someone – but perhaps someone in mind? <g>

The real issue I'm struggling with? How did our pudgy papa bear so quickly turned back into a sleek fox? :Thud: The pouchy tummy (which I adore and I don't have room to talk) was out loud and proud during the at home video and now his sweatpants are hanging off of him? Does he skip a few hot pockets and that's it? He's been barely bottle dancing for two weeks!

He’s a MALE, the cute little shit. <g> They always drop weight fast and easy. Damn genetics anyway.

All the prying and speculation elsewhere about timelines and lies and every utterance in an interview and expecting apologies has got me more down about the fandom than I thought it could.

Picking apart song choices, assigning motives and thought processes - to be honest, if I was Clay, I'd chuck the whole fan thing - the intrusiveness would be too much for me.

Focus. Focus on the ass. He’s got a great ass. Good hair, too. Pretty sure he’s hung. Pretty eyes. Voice – yep, voice is lovely…

(I think) I now understand why Clay wore the WWJD bracelet for so long.

BTW, I've been meaning to ask, what did the rings signify? You know, he wore them on different fingers, I mean, not the usual ones LOL

I think the rings represent his attempt to be hip and trendy. And it worked. <g> Not everything has to mean something.

“You can still be fired in 30 states if you’re openly gay. You can’t serve in the military. There is no federal hate-crime legislation.

This is TRUE? :o

I think it is similar to anti-stalking laws – state by state. But I could be talking out my ass.

Where’s the nanner – I have PMS.

merrieeee, that is something that bothers me now too. Nobody who said they knew could know. They weren't Clay's confidant or lover so they had no way to know. There were just as many "signs" that he was not gay as there were that he was. I really hate the stereotypes so until someone actually comes out and says one way or the other, I'm going to assume they are straight (unless its Richard Simmons, and God I hope he's asexual cuz I just don't want that picture in my head). I did this for Ellen and Rosie, and I'll do it for anyone else. Not because I think its preferable to be straight, but because I don't like how many in the media and entertainment industries mock those they assume to be gay. I don't think they are funny, and I also don't people's sex lives are fair game. Unless its about a right wing politician or religious leader who has been condemning others for the very same thing they are doing, sex jokes are just not funny.

I don't think it was naive of us not to have seen. I think, to many of our credit, we didn't simply didn't rely on stereotypes. In this case it was true, but it doesn't always apply and to automatically assume we know anything about anothers sex life is awfully presumptuos to me. Although there are some fans who were way too invested in his sexuality, on both sides, and both sides truly burn my butt. It really should not be that big of an issue since it doesn't define him, and isn't nearly the most interesting thing about him. Although thinking of him having sex still works for me.

And Jenna, I agree with everyone else about your post.

Perfectly said!!! It too often crossed the line into hate speech.

Anderson Cooper? Works for me. Don’t like CNN though. <g>

Anybody watching DWTS???

ETA: Er, Wanda - pretty sure that the JPs of the world and the tabloids are still liars. Being right about ONE thing does not make you (universal) right about all things. I wasn't sure about your post above - if you were saying that stuff was also true. Just checking.