#48: He is...therefore I fan.

Couch Tomato

New Thread Title Poll  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What say ye - what's our new thread title?

• I don't ever have a day so gloomy that Clay's smile doesn't make me happy
    • At the end of the day, who cares? Clay is hot. He?d be hotter naked. ?nuff said
    • Ladies and gentleman, the 49th president of the United States and American Idol runner-up, Clay Aiken!
    • FrstlgrglooMmflsgoolce! :heart: scruffy Clay!
    • The Clay Aiken fandom....it's just fun!
    • I am a fan of the man...pure and simple!

Some of the things I read says it can take up to a month or 6 weeks to heal! It is quite a "procedure".

I think he wants the BAF to stand on its own and not rely on his name. Now it is established it can do that.

I think another part of it is people always have trouble with the name...."Bubble" Aiken...Boo-BELL...we've heard it all. Something simple and strong would be great, but it IS going to affect name recognition that a lot of people have worked on forever.

Personally, I think his name is probably going to be the most recognizable thing to attach to it... Then again, whatta I know? :)

Personally, I think his name is probably going to be the most recognizable thing to attach to it... Then again, whatta I know? :)

Well I think his names matters to a lot of people but I bet there are many more people that would care about what TBAF does if they only knew. You don't have to guess what the Diabetes Association does but say Bubel-Aiken Foundation to the average person on the street and they'd have no idea what it does other than it probably gives money out to something or other. If somehow special needs or inclusion was incorporated into the name it could be a good thing.

Well I think his names matters to a lot of people but I bet there are many more people that would care about what TBAF does if they only knew. You don't have to guess what the Diabetes Association does but say Bubel-Aiken Foundation to the average person on the street and they'd have no idea what it does other than it probably gives money out to something or other. If somehow special needs or inclusion was incorporated into the name it could be a good thing.

Oy. I just meant I don't think disconnecting his name from the foundation completely is necessarily the best idea.

ETA: Ah. Okey-dokey. I getcha now.

I didn't disagree with you - just giving you something to think about on the other side. I have no idea what's best for TBAF. I do think TBAF is well known in a few circles - clay fans, the special needs community - maybe education. Those people will be easier to train on a new name than the other way around IMO. For example, I don't think anyone who works every xmas wrapping gifts for the foundation would suddenly stop if it were called Inclusion R Us. The history remains the same.

ETA: great points Lilyshine. I do think it's still an abstract concept to many.

One of the biggest problems with re-branding any organization is confusion about whether the "first" org died or was taken over or exactly what happened. I also think there will be a problem if Clay relies on the word "inclusion" as the keystone for the new name. I don't think the general public is very familiar with the term as an educational concept. It's much easier if you have the name of a disease or something to work around - The Cancer Foundation, AIDS United or similar names. Frankly, I use "inclusion" to mean bits of foreign materials that are added in the paper-making process far more frequently than in the sense Clay uses it, but I'm weird that way.

I'm sure they'll come up with something, but it's not easy to rename organizations. Our little Arts Center has been fighting over renaming our gallery for over a year now!

Am I the only one who logged on and saw just the October 2008 blog, nothing else? Did he pull it back? I need to see th blog, please?!!!

*Note to self: the first think to do upon leaving the theatre is to change all the phones back from silent mode*

Thanks for checking, Couchie! :BlowKiss:

ETA: *sheepishly* Ooops, I guess I just forgot to log in...

Am I the only one who logged on and saw just the October 2008 blog, nothing else? Did he pull it back? I need to see th blog, please?!!!

*Note to self: the first think to do upon leaving the theatre is to change all the phones back from silent mode*

oh god I went through this for months --where I couldn't see his blogs..and suddenly it all worked again.

I am so sick of this.I flipped through all my channels and the only thing I could find even remotely interesting to watch was High Plains Drifter. That's it..tomorrow I'm cancelling everything but basic and getting netflix or blockbuster. Who's better?

oh god I went through this for months --where I couldn't see his blogs..and suddenly it all worked again.

I am so sick of this.I flipped through all my channels and the only thing I could find even remotely interesting to watch was High Plains Drifter. That's it..tomorrow I'm cancelling everything but basic and getting netflix or blockbuster. Who's better?

My daughter has Netflix and loves it. She just has the basic Netflix so just gets one movie at a time. It works for her because the turn around time is so quick. With school and activities she and the kids only watch movies on weekends. In between they check out the Netflix on-line offerings.

Before you cancel back to BASIC cable make sure basic has what you want. There may be different levels of basic.

so... he's too sore to perform anywhere and he wants a pompous-sounding name?

that about sums it up :)

Are you having a better day today? hope so

I thought i read a while back that the organization was going to start including programs for adults since Michael is an adult now. Does anyone else remember that?

My sister and I were just talking about this list the other day . She calls it her "travel bucket list".

Hers had Italy on it and mine featured a lot of Canada. How about everyone else?

I have always wanted to spend time in the middle-east. I had a stopover years ago and have thought about it ever since. I am not religious but I am fascinated by its spiritual hub, and the very irony of it.

The only other place I would like to visit again is Phnom Penh, yet I am not sure why. I have very vivid memories of it.

I received an amazing .wmv file showing the 24 hr World Air Traffic.

I looked for it on YouTube, and here it is:

Watch it for the full 1.12 minute duration, look at the amount of traffic between the USA and Europe!!!

that about sums it up :)

Are you having a better day today? hope so

I thought i read a while back that the organization was going to start including programs for adults since Michael is an adult now. Does anyone else remember that?

I had more sleep last night so today should be fine but this is a week of intensive meetings. At least I'm having a better day than my new teammate Aron -- he's been in Malabo, Equatorial Guinea since last week. We were jealous at his being able to escape the long somewhat boring seminar that began on Feb. 17 here until we heard about what he had to deal with on that day.

Hadn't heard about a TBAF adult program but I'm glad that it's in the plans. It's the right thing to do as a next step.

How did your birthday go?

As usual I had to add a few suggestions for the BAF in my comment to Clay's blog. I can understand his deciding to change the name. Few people have really heard of it and remember the name. I like change and think that it can only help trump up interest in the cause. Those that are really involved should be able to handle the transition.

I'm sorry to hear that Clay is still in pain. I guess it's going to be a little while before he can sing in public. If he's bored,I guess Parker's not talking yet . Sounds to me like Clay is eager to start working on something. By the end of April, I'll be ready too.

One of the biggest problems with re-branding any organization is confusion about whether the "first" org died or was taken over or exactly what happened. I also think there will be a problem if Clay relies on the word "inclusion" as the keystone for the new name. I don't think the general public is very familiar with the term as an educational concept. It's much easier if you have the name of a disease or something to work around - The Cancer Foundation, AIDS United or similar names. Frankly, I use "inclusion" to mean bits of foreign materials that are added in the paper-making process far more frequently than in the sense Clay uses it, but I'm weird that way.

I'm sure they'll come up with something, but it's not easy to rename organizations. Our little Arts Center has been fighting over renaming our gallery for over a year now!

Yes, it's strange but "inclusion" and "diversity" can mean completely different things to different people. Last Sunday, I sat with a group of very nice ladies who considered themselves as having been the "most liberal group" in Houston especially during 60s and the 70s but none of them really "included" or even "considered" the civil rights movement or the rights of those with disabilities. As recently as a month ago, I attended a workshop with them and such basic things as "accessible seats" were reacted to as, "Well ok, but do we have to have them in every single meeting room here?" When the fellow who brought it up also began talking about other aspects of meeting with and connecting to people with and without disabilities, his suggestions were listened to but but kept getting shelved, put into the Parking Lot --- and this was a workshop that was specifically organized to address and brainstorm "radical" ways for the group to be more open and welcoming to others. That evening, someone also mentioned (and I know this was meant in a very sincere way) some things to keep in mind when speaking to people "of color". I didn't wince but it was a very uh, traditional way of looking at things and I wondered where they lived all these years. It was clearly meant as a nice gesture or reaching out, though. While I could see that people were trying very hard to get beyond their mindsets, I could also see the very visible struggle. The group was about 98% Caucasian. Intrepid soul that I was, I didn't even think about being one of only 2 or 3 who looked different until then. I needed to mention this because I know we've had discussions about "why people can't get this or that topic/issue already!!!" but I wanted to highlight the way simple words like "diversity", "inclusion" and "welcoming" can bring completely different pictures to people's minds.

*and I can just imagine how KAndre and KeepingFaith would have reacted at that meeting of the group with "the most liberal tradition" in Houston, who quite likely didn't even count them as Houstonians back then*

I don't think people can say to others, "why can't you be more open to my issues" without considering how open they are to other issues or ideas. And many things are hidden under explanations like, "you just don't understand this job, industry, community, society."

Thanks to 00lsee for the delicious new banner. Retro Clay. YUM!!!!

*waves a fond farewell to the boys*

In a cynical world, I suppose.

I don't know why they can't just modify TBAF to include the tag line. I personally will miss seeing his name on there (even if they have very good reasons for it).

See, this is why Scarlett and I struggle for world domination - she actually emphasizes with people before wishing to control their every move, while I just add them to the list of those to be put up against the wall - unless they're cute.

Sums it up nicely I think - and I have to admit, I tend to pomposity whenever I can get away with it. I like sounding as well as being important!

Good Morning Everyone,

Nice to wake up to a blog in the morning; even if it is short and sweet. Sorry to hear he is still healing; he probably is crabby and bored and missing Reed but I hope is enjoying Parker and not driving Jaymes too crazy! BAF name change...I can understand why they are doing it...but in the long run it is probably a good thing if he wants national recognition and less of a fan-supported organization.

10 Days until Daylight Saving Time!:yahoo:

22 Days until The First Day of Spring! :yahoo:

33 Days until Playlist; The Very Best of Clay Aiken is available!

:yahoo:

41 Days until Judge Aiken is holding Court on ANTM! :yahoo:

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

I'm sorry to hear that Clay is still in pain. I guess it's going to be a little while before he can sing in public. If he's bored,I guess Parker's not talking yet . Sounds to me like Clay is eager to start working on something. By the end of April, I'll be ready too.

*chants April 16, April 16, April 16*

Heh, I'm like a dog with a bone, I know. But I'm keeping it circled on my calendar until it gets here and then, if nothing exciting happens, I'll give it up. :imgtongue:

I will miss the old BAF name, but I suggested 'Inspired By Inclusion'. It came to me in a dream last night. ;) I also dreamt about snakes.......WTF.

Love the new banner (thanks 00lsee!) but will miss the old one. S'ok though, cuz I have the boys on my desktop!

I saw Milk last night.......great movie. Really well done. Wonderful acting. Go see it if you can (or rent the DVD when it comes out in March).

I'm a little reluctant to part with TBAF as well; I'm not usually resistant to change, but in this case....

I made a few suggestions in the blog comments as well; have no idea which way they'll head. I know Aron mentioned to us, in Raleigh, a few of the ones they were considering but I'm having a brain furd and can't remember any of them. I hope he does post a few of the ones under consideration.

I can well imagine that Clay is NOT a good patient! Being a man and all... :hahaha: ...and with his high energy I imagine he's chafing at the bit and driving Jaymes nutso. But he sounds a bit weary and depressed, and I hate to hear that. Could very well be just me.

Although I know it's well meant, I also hate to see all the comments saying "we want you to sing to us soon". At this point, I bet he's wondering (unnecessarily, I'm sure) if he's done the right thing, and if he'll ever be able to do that again....so no point in rubbing salt in it, IMO.

Ahhh well.....get better soon, Clay!! :BlowKiss:

Aaack!! Forgot to mention what a beautiful banner that is! Thanks oolsee!