#49: I am a fan of the man...pure and simple!

Thread Title  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• I still don't have money I just go anyway!
    • I'm hooked .... like a fish.
    • I think there's always going to be something big coming when it comes to Clay.
    • Not only did he take his life back he took the power from them.
    • He is large and in charge and I love it!
    • He puts a happy face on my heart!

A. Personal

Since we now have many online friends, we need to be able to trust their identities. If someone were to hack into your friends account, how long do you think it would take before you would realize it? (1 post/email, 2-3, 4-5, more?) Scarlett I honestly don't know. It would depend on what sort of friend and the information being discussed. I dont' email regularly with many people; the ones I do I think I'd know right away because I communicate with them in a certain way. For instance Ansa - we chat every single day - so I know what subjects we discuss, personal things about her and she me, work in common, Clay stuff - if suddenly someone was talking to me pretending to be her I think I'd know pretty quick.

Others have such a distinct personal style that they would be difficult to imitate - like say KAndre. hee

Yet, most I would probably not leap to the conclusion that they were being impersonated but I'm pretty sure a radar would go off and I'd back away without asking questions. If it's pretty benign writing or subjects I may not notice or care enough to pursue it. However if a radar goes off because they are talking crazy or talking shit about Clay suddenly and they are on the Clay friend level...I dont' know what I'd do..probably just tell Ansa that so and so is whacked. LOL.

As for sources -- Sure I believe Clay's blogs on the OFC and his post if it's not taken down in an hour -- other than that -- I take everything with a grain of salt. Fan or not, I don't take as gospel other people's interpretation of Clay's words, his business, what he should or shouldn't do, any unknown source,friend/family or not, that didn't say something personally to me. I don't trust any media from New York Times on down to the Enquirer. I need multiple sources for most things and even then I don't believe half of it as most news is copied and pasted from one place to the next.

Well, most of the people who are my friends on Facebook are not people that I know well personally, so that's difficult, but if I knew them well enough, I'd probably call or e-mail, and ask right away,"Is this you?" if I got a creepy message. On the other hand, my brother-in-law gets creepy on the phone with me, but I know he's not a fake brother-in-law. :hahaha:

Second question, I don't trust any source completely, even the New York Times. Tabloids I never believe. Likewise blogs. I'm more likely to have failed to believe a true blog or tabloid than to have been taken in by a lie. I do believe announcements on the BAF website, but I know it can be hacked. It also depends on the content. For example, there was that chat at the OFC that was hacked by a Fake Clay. As soon as he started talking about heroin, I "hung up." I knew that wasn't Clay.

I assume Clay's blogs on the OFC are for real, but if it seemed to me to be out of character, my first thought would be that the OFC had been hacked.

I trust my own instincts a lot. I go with what "feels" true. My instincts have been honed over the years, and I'm often right, so that reinforces my belief in them. But I don't trust them 100% either. I do trust my own ability to combine and assess multiple sources of information and arrive at an idea of what I think is true. I believe in consulting multiple sources, reliable sources, to arrive at a conclusion. I also accept that in today's media world, there are often profound distortions that get accepted as fact, so 100 papers can say something and I still may not believe it.

I have a pretty good spidey-sense, and haven't been proven wrong yet when I've sensed trolldom. A couple of ballots are still out there though. Some are just very, very good at it. :hahaha:

ETA: a big, fat WORD to jamar down there. Absolutely agree with every word you posted.

and a BWAH to 00lsee

Well, I don't think you can discount the fact that people do tend to believe exactly what they want to believe. And they tend to take in information from sources that support their beliefs. It's why people with a conservative political bent get their news from Rush Limbaugh & Bill O'Reilly and not Keith Olberman. It's why college educated people can convince themselves that the Holocaust never happened. It's why I find discussing politics and religion with many people a waste of time.

I think, for some fans, the idea of being "friends" with Clay outweighs other information. They would rather believe they are close to him than believe anything else ... so they do.

Fly_is_killed.gif

:cryingwlaughter::clap:

Have to run, but wanted to answer girlcanuck's question in a more public forum than the responses to Clay's blog, as there may be others wondering:

The BAF site on Facebook is REAL; I understand there is more than one, but the real one shows Aron Hall as a moderator. I have confirmed this (weeks and weeks ago) with Aron, and it is definitely for real. Donations made through Facebook are processed through a third-party provider, and absolutely DO get to where they are intended.

Isn't it sick to have to post that??? :(

What do you mean, 'show all', liney? The emotie is infinitely stealable, if that's what you mean. Scarf away! :)

Scarlett, sorry for your tough week. Here, have some crab legs. :)

The whole 'who to trust' issue is manifesting itself aggressively on Facebook right now in the form of hackers and viruses. According to this article on Yahoo tech news, people have been pretty well conditioned not to open attachments in emails, but often don't hesitate to click on links sent from Facebook friends. Social networking sites are the newest way to play in traffic. LOL

I believe what liney was asking was for it to be clickable in the emotie list, which it is, but it's on page three. Sorry! don't know how to move it up.

You can just type : BOCA : without the spaces though! :BOCA:

Oh, hell, I don't trust the whole damn internet.

I signed up for Twitter, and the damn tweets are driving me crazy and it just seems totally pointless.

Now, I've signed up for Facebook, and my last name is spelled wrong. Does anyone have a clue how to fix that???? I've tried to no avail.

(Grumble, piss, moan.)

Well, I don't think you can discount the fact that people do tend to believe exactly what they want to believe. And they tend to take in information from sources that support their beliefs. It's why people with a conservative political bent get their news from Rush Limbaugh & Bill O'Reilly and not Keith Olberman. It's why college educated people can convince themselves that the Holocaust never happened. It's why I find discussing politics and religion with many people a waste of time.

I think, for some fans, the idea of being "friends" with Clay outweighs other information. They would rather believe they are close to him than believe anything else ... so they do.

I suppose there is a lot of truth in what you say, JaMar, but I believe that people can open their minds to information that doesn't fit their belief system. Rational people, with a desire to explore ideas, that is.

As for that label 'Clay Aiken'.... oy, poor guy doesn't even own it, it seems sometimes. If I somehow received a contact from 'Clay Aiken,' I think I'd be beyond skeptical...even if it were something like a contest and we knew he was going to contact someone. I think unless I saw him in the flesh, I'd really have a hard time believing it was him. Under stress, I go straight to paranoia. I suppose that opposite extreme isn't any healthier, though.

A public service announcement from Dinosaur Muski

When I want to talk with a friend, I email or call her...maybe PM if I know we're hanging around the same cyber joint.

The last thing I need is another site to need to check in with in order to have a conversation with somebody! :cryingwlaughter:

The whole Facebook/MySpace/Twitter et al thang gives me the creeps, kind of, anyway. At a recent professional conference, I attended a workshop about the various uses of this social networking craze and what I learned there (a little knowledge is dangerous, of course) skeered me! It's just too easily manipulated, invaded and/or compromised by unknowns and weirdos to make me want (at this time) to get involved.

Not that I have anything to hide, of course. :sleezy:

:whistling-1:

Clay wrote:

inappropriately rude

Does that mean that there's an "appropriately rude"?

Like "Bless your heart. Isn't that special?" versus "Fuck off, you freakin' psycho!!" :cryingwlaughter:

:cryingwlaughter: I was wondering the same thing!

Apparently there are people upset with Clay's blog...big surprise...some comments:

Upset that he is calling "God's children" wackos and posers.

Upset that he finds us unworthy to be his friends

(I didn't read myself...this was posted at CV)

Kim

fromclaygary, thank for clarifying that the TBAF entry is authentic.

Scarlett, sorry for your tough week. Here, have some crab legs. :)
00lsee, Thanks for the crab legs -- just in time for lunch!

Maybe I should have come back here and posted on Thursday night after I saw people friending this "strange entity", but I was just tired and it seemed like yet another strange thing that hit this week.

Muski, I'm careful because e-mails can be faked more easily than fb or myspace or messageboard accounts because they're plain text and can be sent from anywhere.

duckyvee, I'm so paranoid about anything labeled "Clay Aiken" directly that I haven't even become a fan of the real FB one. I hope people aren't counting or wondering if I still am.

To be sure:

:loveclaysbutt:

ETA: Lol, bottle! If Clay would ever choose (even just once) to respond with less than his customary politeness to one of the countless times people railed at him or tore him down for things that weren't his fault, I would call that very appropriate (and long overdue) rudeness.

ETAA: For someone who keeps trying to do the right thing he sure gets yelled at a lot... which is sad because when we allow this to happen, less and less people will bother to try.

Well I read that 'one of god's children' post on his blog. She felt that the page had nice pictures and therefore was okay. WTF? Even though she 'unfriended' them anyway. WTFFFFF??? And that Clay should not be calling 'her' disrespectful names (assuming the poser is a her) since she is one of god's children. The ironic part? This chick's avitar is a photo of.... wait for it.... Simon Cowell. Badump bump. I shit you not.

:hahaha:

To be fair - I only read one such post. Oh and another that said. 'Well there's nothing on the page to say it wasn't you. Think about that.' Guess that makes the identity theft his fault? Oy.

You only wish I was kidding. :hahaha:

I've seen the 'we're not worthy because we only pay your bills' post now. When people realize that Clay Aiken is NOT their friend (worthy or otherwise) they will be far better off. What part of 'private' facebook do they not understand? Maybe they could locate my missing IQ points and absorb a couple for their very own.

I'm always the last one to know anything. Clay didn't want to be MY friend. Boo hoo.

Aikim..really that has to be some shit stirrers really. I don't believe it's a fan. Upset that criminal whackos got called a whacko? Or upset that Clay isn't who they thought - the third coming! Oh thanks Cindy..as I thought a shit stirrer. It's funny that people pay for the honor. Which reminds me..I need to sign up. It's a sad day when the haters sign up faster than me.

I loved reading his blog. Reed was so polite. bwah. I love pointy Clay.

I'm always the last one to know anything. Clay didn't want to be MY friend. Boo hoo.

Aikim..really that has to be some shit stirrers really. I don't believe it's a fan. Upset that criminal whackos got called a whacko? Or upset that Clay isn't who they thought - the third coming! Oh thanks Cindy..as I thought a shit stirrer. It's funny that people pay for the honor. Which reminds me..I need to sign up. It's a sad day when the haters sign up faster than me.

I loved reading his blog. Reed was so polite. bwah. I love pointy Clay.

Oh I agree...don't think it is fans at all...guess I would have better things to do with $30 than to sign up at the fan club of someone I don't like just to cause trouble.

But it doesn't surprise me at all.

Kim

Couchie, and my first thought on viewing the list was "there must be a California connection here".

BTW, some on are good, trusted, reliable real (not fb) friends of mine so it goes to show that the posers and wackos who follow Clay Aiken are probably in the "Poser and Wacko Hall of Fame" whereever that is -- hey, nothing but the best for him!

Hee I think I'm out of the loop because I was always on the California lists with my yahoo email which I never ever go to. Hey California - call me :cryingwlaughter:

Oh yeah Clay's whackos are indeed the cream of the crop. They know more about Clay than actual fans.

Clay wrote:

inappropriately rude

Does that mean that there's an "appropriately rude"?

Like "Bless your heart. Isn't that special?" versus "Fuck off, you freakin' psycho!!" :cryingwlaughter:

lol

LOL Muski

I do want to point out as someone new to facebook -- I can see how easy it is to end up as Clay's friend especially if it was sent by someone you do know. I haven't clicked on Clay's fan club yet because it keeps giving me this warning about other people being allowed blah blah blah. What is it exactly-- on facebook when you say you're a fan of something..is that it? There's not exactly stuff to do is there.

I suppose there is a lot of truth in what you say, JaMar, but I believe that people can open their minds to information that doesn't fit their belief system. Rational people, with a desire to explore ideas, that is.

It isn't that I don't think people can be reasonable and open-minded, I just don't think it is human nature to be so.

Perhaps I'm just cynical. :rolleyes:

Love the blog from last night (and the posting on Reed's FB as well). Sad that they both had to do it, though.

Pointy Clay is hawt.

I think in some instances, not all, the idea is as jamar said -- the connection. People WANT Clay to notice them, and think they are special. I have a real hard time with that.

Scarlett, my librarian heart blesses you for asking those questions. Are you sure you're not a librarian? Because these are the kinds of questions we ask students ALL THE TIME. Personally, I tend to trust stuff that has lots of backing sources (footnotes are a good thing). Of course, that means I question a LOT of stuff.

I don't really see the point of Twitter per se, but I'm loving Facebook. However -- I try my best to take precautions.

muski, with the ages of your daughters, I would strongly suggest you read this book: Born Digital: Understanding the First Generation of Digital Natives. "Digital Natives" are people born after 1980, according to the authors, and are used to doing almost everything digitally. This book is really a guide for parents and those who want to understand these young adults -- and help them understand such things as privacy and identity on the net. It also gets into the positives of the new media technologies out there today. I've just started it, but it's fascinating to me.

I haven't seen anything inapropriate on Facebook yet. And Fake Clay didn't even ask me to be his friend. :cry4:

But I did notice on my son's page, although it says he is in a relationship, someone posted pictures of him with a previous girlfiend. I sure hope that hasn't caused any problems with the current GF. :25:

To be fair - I only read one such post. Oh and another that said. 'Well there's nothing on the page to say it wasn't you. Think about that.' Guess that makes the identity theft his fault? Oy.

I read that one to, but that person hasnt been a fan for awhile....since before September as far as i know, so I have no idea why such people rejoin...makes no sense whatsoever to me.

Scarlett, my librarian heart blesses you for asking those questions. Are you sure you're not a librarian? Because these are the kinds of questions we ask students ALL THE TIME. Personally, I tend to trust stuff that has lots of backing sources (footnotes are a good thing). Of course, that means I question a LOT of stuff.

ldyjocelyn, I spent hours and hours in the library in grade school (the Matilda connection) and I think that's what led me to one of favorite jobs ever -- helping build, index, search through and maintain efficient databases, because what's a database really except one very large library of records. This is going to sound silly to people born here but as I was growing up I'd heard about how extensive the libraries here were and how there were multiple copies of popular books -- and it was a big item in the Pro column for moving here for me. We used to have such long waiting lists for our Nancy Drew / Hardy Boys copies back home and you could forget about ever getting one of the Tintin or Asterix and Obelix books unless you got in under special circumstances. I'm still envious and somewhat sad about seeing shelves and shelves of books just lying there. In my part of the world, the cost of books and magazines was so high in proportion to other things that books were treasures to be shared around like the precious items they are.