#49: I am a fan of the man...pure and simple!

Thread Title  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• I still don't have money I just go anyway!
    • I'm hooked .... like a fish.
    • I think there's always going to be something big coming when it comes to Clay.
    • Not only did he take his life back he took the power from them.
    • He is large and in charge and I love it!
    • He puts a happy face on my heart!

While I may need way more info to form an opinion, it doesn't stop me from hoping. I'd love to see him on idol to wipe up the floor with everyone else. Maybe he can use Simon's face to do it. By the way, who the hell came up with that expression anyway?

And CF, can you possibly postwhore any more?

Claytonic I've thought about doing the audiobook thing. Is it distracting while driving though? The only audiobook I have is Learning to Sing.
:cryingwlaughter:

It's a funny thing, some people love them, others hate them. They are great company if you are driving a long distance on your own. Otherwise, the other person/s in the car are gonna be talking to you.. and that doesn't work!

Audio books CAN be a bit tricky because the storyline tends to get lost if you are distracted in any way.

Generally, what tends to work really well is lectures/ presentations, by the author. For example, periodically, I listen to Wayne Dyer, Deepak Chopra, Carolyn Myss, Edgar Cayce, etc. I'd go through various stages of exploring new-age philosophy. Also love listening to the wit and wisdom of the Dalai Lama, love his giggle!. If I am distracted, it doesn't really matter because I listen to them more than once as very often, something is said that I want to hear again, or take notes.

I no longer buy audio books because it is so easy to borrow CDs from the library. What I do is to immediately rip them to my harddrive, then return the CDs to the library. That way, they are quickly available for someone else but the BIG PLUS is they are no longer cluttering up my space and there is no chance of the CDs getting lost.. I then transfer the files to my ipod to listen. The last audio story book I tried to listen to was Wild Swans, but it was soooo long that I never finished it, then lost interest. One of the things I like about audio books is that my eyes can get really tired from the computer screen so it is a way to give my eyes a break. I have to admit I have deleted many audio books from my HD because I lost interest due to distractions. But the shorter books are a good idea because you actually do get to listen to the whole thing, then of course I tell myself damn, that was too short!

I bought both versions of the audio LTS. Listened to the Clay voice many times.

claytonic... my daughters love to listen to books on tape/cd while commuting. They did Lord of the Rings and all the Harry Potter books that way and loved hearing the acting from the readers. I listen to lectures all the time. When I'm not listening to a certain cutesingerman, that is.

I would definitely check with your library before you donate anything. Whenever Mikayla came out, I donated a copy. That was at least 2 years ago, I think. After about a year of checking, I went back to the library and asked why it hadn't been indexed. I was told that it was considered "not appropriate" for the library!! A children's book on inclusion? Are you kidding me??!! I think that was when I went all Clay Aiken Fan on her :hysterical: It never has been added to the collection, so I'm not sure if it went home with someone, or what. I was SO pissed, and I will never donate anything to the library again. Anyone any other suggestions as to places that can use them?

I'm going to be taking a Traditional Rug Hooking class in April; yes, finally, at my age...a hooker!

O.M.G... I'm going to be able to say I know a hooker... kewl!!! :hahaha:

FromClaygary... did they give you any reason why it was considered not appropriate??? I mean kids wrote it and did the illustrations. That is seriously wacked! I am giving them to my grandchildren's school teachers when they get to third grade. That hasn't happened yet, so don't know if it will work or not.

aikim... I like your ideas!

"Wipe the floor"? I've always assumed it came from boxing... you know, you knock the other dude out and have thus "wiped the floor" with his/her face? :shrug: I dunno, though.

As for the topic, I agree! He should come back and sing TWO songs! One to appease the AI people who want him to sing something AI connected (SOT, MTK, anyone? ;)) and then something from OMWH (or the supposed new CD) like EIDN or Ashes!

*grin/ducks*

Looks like a big old horseshoe.

How do I add that thingie to do dat?

From your profile....in the grey taskbar, at the bottom left, you should see "Applications"; if it's not in the list already, you can "find more" (top right in that popup). It's called Ilike, and when you add the application you'll see all sorts of neat stuff you can do.

Or....:lol:....I sent a thing earlier to all us ON folks that says "LF wants Clay Aiken to come to Toronto, Canada"; you should see that on your wall. If you click on "Vote for your town" in that, I think it will ask to add the application for you.

If y'all want to speculate, and you know that I do, and stipulate for the pure purpose of reverie that the item is true ... and if this Boyd dude is involved as a producer on Idol, America's Got Talent, and Greatest Rock Band ... and being that I recently read that Jerry Springer is being replaced on AGT ... speculation could go in that direction, too.

But of course, Clay could just be a personal friend invited to a birthday party.

But if they're such good friends, enough for Clay to be invited to his birthday party, maybe Boyd is developing something altogether new for Clay.

Speculating on a Sunday afternoon is a pleasant enough diversion for me.

FromClaygary, I donated the same book to a local library and they never put it on their shelves either. Then when they were having a book sale, I found it on a table being sold for 10 cents. I was ticked so I bought the book back and I won't be donating to them again. If anyone has kids books, those can always be donated to elementary schools because they never have enough funds.

I donated a copy of "Our Friend Mikayla" to our library also, but since I do the cataloguing, no problem with it getting on the shelf. I also do withdrawing and it hasn't come back yet for that...so I am assuming it is still on the shelf...will have to check tomorrow when I go to work.

Kim

i wish people would type out the words

sometimes I have no clue what anyone is talking about. Then when I finally figure it out & have something totally amazing, witty and intelligent to post someone will post a picture of rodent on wheel.

Smitten

that was very nice of you to offer to buy a cd for people who are financial struggling.

thanks...I was pm'd at the OFC to start the thread apparently because of my kind heart..and the huge amount of time I have on my hands lol but I have been helped out so much in the clay fandom, that its my turn to help someone else...Im going to do what I can and try to buy a little extra of anything when I can so I can help someone who needs it...now that I have a job I wanna help :)

i wish people would type out the words

sometimes I have no clue what anyone is talking about. Then when I finally figure it out & have something totally amazing, witty and intelligent to post someone will post a picture of rodent on wheel.

PLEASE don't let that discourage you! If you have a question about something, and don't feel comfortable asking on the board -- PM the original poster. You can also PM me, if you want -- I've answered questions privately for many people around here.

I know it's hard sometimes to "break into" a new message board, especially one that's almost 4 years old at this point. We've got our own shorthand many times, and I know that can be intimidating. Try not to let that stop you. Many of us are more than happy to help you find your way!

Smitten

that was very nice of you to offer to buy a cd for people who are financial struggling.

thanks...I was pm'd at the OFC to start the thread apparently because of my kind heart..and the huge amount of time I have on my hands lol but I have been helped out so much in the clay fandom, that its my turn to help someone else...Im going to do what I can and try to buy a little extra of anything when I can so I can help someone who needs it...now that I have a job I wanna help :)

How nice of you Smitten! I've always loved the "Clay it forward" aspect of this fandom. I've taken advantage of it, and I've helped move it forward.

I'm sad to find out how many people have had Mikayla not show up on their library shelves. I understand that libraries try to fit the collection to the population they serve (couchie, if those books you donate are old accounting textbooks, just realize they will probably automatically go to the booksale shelves), but in this case...I would hope that the topic of inclusion is included (HA!) for these children in this communities. It sounds as if the BAF has a long way to go in education of the general public in this regard.

As for what Clay was doing at that birthday party, I say -- "I hope he enjoyed himself."

I know many people hate the "Am I the only one..." questions, but in this case: am I the only one who isn't that concerned right now that we're not hearing Clay career news? I am just SO not worried about him...considering I really don't know him, first of all. But also, I just have faith in the man, and will take whatever he gives me. (Hey muski, that was for you!)

I know many people hate the "Am I the only one..." questions, but in this case: am I the only one who isn't that concerned right now that we're not hearing Clay career news? I am just SO not worried about him...considering I really don't know him, first of all. But also, I just have faith in the man, and will take whatever he gives me. (Hey muski, that was for you!)

No, not the only one. I marvel at what I perceive to be a bit of impatience on the part of some fans.... Seriously, it's only been two months? I know some are worried because of the whole label thing, but I'm not worried about him - I figure he'll surface, or news will surface, when it's time. So many other artists disappear for much longer than Clay has ever and they come back just fine. I believe he's a smart man and does have a plan. I just am not privy to it at this time.

In the meantime, I have time to keep caught up on TV (I have far too much!), watch the series of Bobby Flay's Throwdown I just bought, read a bunch of books I've been wanting to read, knit a baby blanket for my niece who just told us she's expecting, and whatever else I want to do... I actually don't mind that it only takes "a bit" to keep caught up with Clay news right now.

And I've got an iTouch coming (should be delivered Wednesday!) and I'm going out to the vault to check out mp4s!! (Those are the videos, right?) That should keep me busy for some time!

Nope, you're not the only one...but then I never worry about Clay or his career. Never have understood why some fans go into panic mode when ever there is a "drought" (and how much I hate that word and wish we could get rid of it from the fan lexicon)...to me it is just normal process of being in the industry...sometimes you are visible and sometimes you are not.

There is always so much we don't know versus what we do and even if we don't know what Clay is doing 24/7; doesn't mean he isn't working or planning things. I actually enjoy the down times because that means there will be something fun to look forward to in the future.

Kim

Many libraries (mine included) have very structured collection development policies. We do take donations but unless there is local interest (author or subject) or it is a current best-seller with a waiting list most donations go either to our book-sale or recycling. Neither of those options is bad. The book sale generates money for our summer reading programs and recycling keeps it out of the landfill. :)

---

ldyj...I'm where your at. Clay said he wasn't quitting, so I'm cool.

You are not alone. I look back at the last six years and see lots of career activity with much of it accompanied by surprises. Is is all along a path I would have foreseen? Nope. Is it all at the frequency I would have wished? Or in locals that are convenient to me? Again, No, but it has been sufficient to assure me that Clay Aiken is here to stay and will probably outlast me by a long shot. So while Clay takes some time to himself. I will also.

nope, I never worry about him...he has 100 percent of the information, I have maybe 15 percent of the information lol its needless to worry...people switch labels all the time, people take years off between projects, we have been really lucky that Clay has been pretty much doing something constantly, yeah he has taken a month or more here and there but he usually pops up somewhere (which is why I never get when people say he needs to not disapear...lots of people dissapear for much longer than clay ever has) people sell little one album...and a ton the next album..the music industry is so fickle and such a pattern of up's and down's..clay is smart, clay is sexy (I know that doesnt have anything to do with talent, but it seemed like it was supposed to come after Clay is smart lol) he is talented and he is good..and he will be fine, more than fine...in the time of a downward spiral in the recording industry Clay has so much he can fall back on, I used to worry that he would go away and I would lose not just him, but all this..and I no longer worry about that...once i gave up that worry and angst my fandom was so much more fun! :)

did I mention Im getting a car?! a very used very old car, but mine nonetheless :) Im very excited! car to me means independence :)

I can't say that I'm worried. Actually this time I'm very hopeful that good things are coming. My problem is that I am very impatient. I'm the one who will usually go to the end of the book before I've finished it to find out the ending and who doesn't feel like a movie or tv show is ruined if I've already heard the end. So waiting just kills me, especially when its about Clay. If there was a 24 hour Clay channel, I'd never leave my couch.

Now even though I'm impatient with that kind of stuff, with most other things in my life, except traffic, I'm usually pretty patient. Had years of practice.

I can't say that I'm worried. Actually this time I'm very hopeful that good things are coming. My problem is that I am very impatient. I'm the one who will usually go to the end of the book before I've finished it to find out the ending and who doesn't feel like a movie or tv show is ruined if I've already heard the end. So waiting just kills me, especially when its about Clay. If there was a 24 hour Clay channel, I'd never leave my couch.

Now even though I'm impatient with that kind of stuff, with most other things in my life, except traffic, I'm usually pretty patient. Had years of practice.

I'll admit, I worry. I think it's partially from being a latecomer and partially being a worrywart amidst all this bad music industry news. I'm sure Clay has plenty socked away and isn't going to be foreclosed on or anything, but I want his success for me to be able to keep listening... obsessing... swooning... smutting, etc!

And this is my ineractive, 24-hour Clay channel! Full of chat about Clay and the "news anchors" who love him.

I'm not worried about Clay either; I just miss him.

:yeahthat:

I'm cheating on Clay with the men who were my pretend boyfriends long before he came into the picture. I spent an enjoyable couple of hours catching up with some recent U2 performances on youtube last night.

bootskc.jpgGet on your boots!!

I'm with you bottle! I've had a lot of fun this past week with Bono and the boys. Their Letterman apperances have been classic.

As for that picture -- those are sexy boots, yeah!

Hee, I'm on youtube too. I did a stupid today and accidentally wiped the bulk of the stuff off of my iPod trying to put the contents onto my interim computer... only half worked, I got all the stuff I've purchased from iTunes, so no Clack at all. :( I have all the other stuff saved to a backup hard drive, so I'm not particularly worried.

Anyway, I'm rewatching a lot of the AI stuff on YouTube since I had a sudden hankering for it and, naturally, don't have it at my fingertips like I usually do. I may not be a huge fan of AI (never have, really) but I love those original Clay moments. The first time I saw Clay was on Leno singing OMWH, but when I really fell flat on my face was when I looked him up on YouTube. Sometimes I'll forget just how unique his voice is, but there's nothing like a quick spin through those videos to remind me!

ETA: Hmm... did I read somewhere that he had an allergic reaction to something before Tell Her About It or did I imagine that? Because he looks fine to me...

Man, I work my fingers to the bone to get ready for a garage sale and y'all start talking about any and everything!

I found Scarlett's question and y'all's answers interesting...

A. Personal

Since we now have many online friends, we need to be able to trust their identities. If someone were to hack into your friend's account, how long do you think would it take before you realize it? (1 post or email, 2-3, 4-5, more?)

Honestly, I have no clue. Beyond the Clay fandom, I am probably one of the least social people running around, so most of the online people I really deal with a lot, I know in person. And it doesn't help that some of those I know in person did seem to go totally whack, but then that was in person too. She wasn't whack to me personally online. I have absolutely no interest in Facebook or Twitter or whatever the hell next social thing comes along...I think I did a MySpace page back in the day...haven't checked it in years.

B. Celebrities

How do we classify our sources of information? If 1="I will probably believe it", 3="I'll take note and watch for other sources", 5="I won't believe it"

I am very much a cynic and have been known not to believe stuff straight from the horse's mouth so you can put me down for "3" for everything...everybody has an agenda, good, bad or indifferent...Lord knows I do. I gotta agree with jamar about people's inherest biases...

I am always appropriately rude...up to and including assault.

God loves the wackos and posers too - God knows I don't have to.

Libraries! I myself am mildly fond of books - I only have about a thousand or so...libraries were a lifeline for me for years...but I simply have a voracious appetite for entertainment...and honestly I'm looking forward to getting a Kindle as soon as the price becomes more reasonable...$400 for a device that only does one thing (it does it well, I admit)...not happening yet.

Clay's career? Haven't worried about that since he first had the #1 CD in the U.S., which put him ahead of the majority of working musicians today.