#56: Clay's going to sing. Life is good.

jmh123

Thread Title  

36 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• A burgeoning roar of eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!
    • Behold the Allure of Aiken!
    • Guys, it was just so, so, so good.
    • The man is a star and we saw him go super-nova.
    • Oh yeah, he really is just. that. good.
    • Shoot, I'm still suffering from post-concert giddiness, and I wasn't even freakin' there!
    • I really think it is now his time and yes it is about damn time!
    • And we love every minute of his many talents.

Cool. I have a (possible) date with my boyfriend!

Now I just need to decide if I want to try for this one, or wait for something closer.

OTOH, I didn't go to the Biltmore the last time....

Hmmm...

Oh, and....

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Cool. I have a (possible) date with my boyfriend!

Now I just need to decide if I want to try for this one, or wait for something closer.

OTOH, I didn't go to the Biltmore the last time....

Hmmm...

Oh, and....

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Clay's tours have always hit Ohio / Michigan / Indiana, so I'll think I'll be good for a roadtrip or two. Can't wait!

Wow...a tour..how exciting. I wonder how long it will take for fans to find out where the concerts are being held. Now if only he is somewhere near Ontario the beginning of July.

Yesterday I listened to the latest "This American Life" podcast from NPR. This podcast can be downloaded from Itunes or you can listen to it here. This American Life

For the rest of this week the podcast is free and is called "81 words : the story of how the American Psychiatric Association decided in 1973 that homosexuality was no longer a mental illness."

Once an illness is on the APA list of psychiatric disorders it affects how people with that illness see themselves.

It's very interesting piece of history.

LOL, does one date = tour? I love optimism!!!

Hee, I am the queen of optomism! :P But I do believe this is the beginning of a barrage of dates to be announced.....at least I hope it is! Not so sure I can travel back to NC as soon as July, but Michigan or New York state are definitely doable!

LOL, does one date = tour? I love optimism!!!

Hee, I am the queen of optomism! :P But I do believe this is the beginning of a barrage of dates to be announced.....at least I hope it is! Not so sure I can travel back to NC as soon as July, but Michigan or New York state are definitely doable!

Unless of course we had an extra day and drove instead of flew????

July and extended holidays may not be in my future, so I am holding out hope for some weekends that are driveable. Is it possible to drive to NC and back in a weekend? Well probably it is, but it's not something I want to do. cryingwlaughter.gif

So what were the good hotels in the area there? And what's the best airport to fly into?

I believe there is an airport in Asheville, but the cheapest might be to fly into Charlotte and rent a car. You'll need a car in Asheville. The Grove Park Inn is a fabulous place to stay but expensive as is the hotel at Biltmore. There are several cheaper hotels outside the gates. Asheville is wonderful in the summer. I'd love a condo there too bad I can't afford it. :cry4:

well a woop di doooooooooooooooooo.

I'm hoping that more dates pop up around there on the east coast cuz my family reunion is the 21-26th in Philadelphia. If that's the only date then I am so there since it's a Friday... I can skip all the preliminaries as long as I'm three by Saturday night, the 24th! whoo hooo. Hopefully there will be more that I don't have to abandon my mom LOL. But she already said she'd be just fine. Thanks Mom! heee.

So what were the good hotels in the area there? And what's the best airport to fly into?

You might want to wait and see if there's an NC twofer or threefer before making flight plans. :04:

Do you suppose there will ever be anything career related that Clay (et al) actually announce - like, as a whole, or at least prior to other websites/venues/blogs, etc. Like, ever? EVER???? I swear to god he's the only entertainer in show business with a stealth career.

I know, I know... there are reasons, he has to wait.. blah blah blaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :cryingwlaughter:

:GM_FCA:

10 Days until The Tried and True Special is taped!

:yahoo:

19 Days until The First Day of Spring!

:glasses:

3 months until June and The New CD/PBS Special!

:04:

Clay addresses the Key Club Convention in July!

:yahoo:

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

The more I think about it, the more excited I get about the Cluben! I think they will put on a terrific show together. Their duet (The Girl Is Mine) and stage time together during the AI tour was by far my favorite part of the show. Clay brings out the best in the more reticent Ruben, and in my opinion, except for Hannah, he has been the best duet partner for Clay as well. LOVE their voices together. Hopefully this will mean a little (or a lot) more green-eyed soul from our man as well.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ClaySling2.gif

I believe there is an airport in Asheville, but the cheapest might be to fly into Charlotte and rent a car. You'll need a car in Asheville. The Grove Park Inn is a fabulous place to stay but expensive as is the hotel at Biltmore. There are several cheaper hotels outside the gates. Asheville is wonderful in the summer. I'd love a condo there too bad I can't afford it. :cry4:

Actually, I don't think there is...or, at any rate, not one large enough to have multiple flights from multiple carriers (which makes it cheaper in/out). There IS one, however, in Knoxville TN, which is not too far and is the logical prior or next step for a tour...:)

The more I think about it, the more excited I get about the Cluben! I think they will put on a terrific show together. Their duet (The Girl Is Mine) and stage time together during the AI tour was by far my favorite part of the show. Clay brings out the best in the more reticent Ruben, and in my opinion, except for Hannah, he has been the best duet partner for Clay as well. LOVE their voices together. Hopefully this will mean a little (or a lot) more green-eyed soul from our man as well.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ClaySling2.gif

:yeahthat:

:needclay::whee: :04: :yahoo::snoopy::twinklewhore:

Covers are, of course, all the rage these days. Peter Gabriel is the latest to release a covers album. Since couchie (understandably) doesn't like us to quote entire articles, I'll just quote the first part, but the rest is definitely worth reading. I bolded some parts that were definitely Clay related!

March 2, 2010

Peter Gabriel Says, ‘I’ll Sing Yours, You Sing Mine’

By JON PARELES

For many singer-songwriters there comes a time to make an album of other people’s songs. That’s what Peter Gabriel does with “Scratch My Back” (Virgin), which is being released on Tuesday in the United States. It’s his first solo studio album in eight years in a multitasking career: technology projects, musical collaborations, humanitarian initiatives, parenthood.

“There’s a Slow Food movement,” he said in an interview during a New York City stopover. “I think I’m part of the Slow Music movement.”

A covers album can be a tribute or a miscellany, a throwaway or a statement about what a songwriter holds dear. The production can imitate the original arrangements, the way Seal and Rod Stewart did on their recent soul collections, or apply a distinctly personal approach, as Rosanne Cash did on “The List.” Meanwhile, in recording company offices, hopes arise that a familiar voice and a familiar song can add up to radio play.

Mr. Gabriel’s voice is the most recognizable aspect of the new album. It’s the ancient-mariner baritone that lent gravity to the early Genesis, to Mr. Gabriel’s 1970s and ’80s hits like “Solsbury Hill” and “Sledgehammer,” and to “Down to Earth,” the Oscar-nominated song he wrote with Thomas Newman for the soundtrack of “Wall-E” in 2008. But on “Scratch My Back” Mr. Gabriel has placed his voice in a new wilderness.

The material is by rock songwriters, including Mr. Gabriel’s fellow arena veterans like Neil Young, Radiohead and David Bowie, along with indie-rockers like the Arcade Fire and Bon Iver. (Its most recent songs are both from 2008: “Flume” by Bon Iver and “The Power of the Heart” by Lou Reed.) But the songs don’t rock: mostly they hover. Only one song, Randy Newman’s despondent “I Think It’s Going to Rain Today,” resembles the original. Mr. Gabriel’s other cover versions are slow, moody and willful, backed by orchestra and chamber ensembles.

I was trying to make a grown-up record,” said Mr. Gabriel, 60. He was sipping tea and sampling a plate of berries in the lounge of the Mercer Hotel in SoHo. “This is treating people as if they can handle difficult music and words. Not that I’ve courted the lowest common denominator before, but there’s a playfulness and childishness in some of my older work that isn’t present on this record.”

When he eventually decided to make a full album of covers, Mr. Gabriel ruled out drums and guitars.... He was determined to strip the songs down to the bare melody and lyric.

Mr. Gabriel has planned concerts with an orchestra in Europe and North America.... [including] Mr. Gabriel’s older songs with “no drums, no guitars.”