#58: The man is made of awesome!

Thread Title  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• Clay Aiken can still curl my toes
    • Clay Aiken = happy sigh
    • I'm a satisfied Clay fan
    • He's still beautiful, sings beautifully and he's still OURS
    • He's made of awesome wrapped in fabulous with a little more awesome sprinkled on top!!
    • Forget life -- It's Clay time!

I think I'm the only person without a M&G tonight. I didn't see jmh but ran into geeketteafter her M&G. She had Clay and Ruben in hers. Said Clay was very chatty had a cute picture of him with Ruben.

I laughed for the whole show. Clay was doing some incredible moves. He can dance. Of course he and Ruben did some really funny moves, like trying to do a chest bump but missing. I thought I would die laughing. The clawing movements they did during Eye of the Tiger funny funny stuff. Do I dare talk about Clay wearing Hammer pants and doing the Hammer dance. OMG. Looking around I saw smiles on everyones face. There were quite a few men at least more than usual and the ones I saw seemed to enjoy the show. I'm sure Ruben has fans as there were quite a few shreiks for him. There was also an I love you Clay.

The band was very good. Clay gave them credit for being great. The pastor Ruben bit went on a little to long as they both tried to milk it for all it was worth. Ruben had quite a few good lines but Clay is just such a character. I guess that's why I'll always be such a Clay fan. It is a very physical show so I hope the guys eat well and rest a lot.

Clay looks so thin but that form fitting suit he wore is just scrumptious. That man can really wear a suit.

I can't wait to see another show. Which by the way was produced by Amy Tinker as was JNT05.

Mr Fear was in quite a bit of pain tonight so we left right after the show and didn't stop to say hi to jmhat the Huddle House. I did meet aikim and her husband before the show. She saw the sound check so probably has more to offer than I.

Best show ever! Ruben and Clay are magic together! Ditto to everything Fear said! Sound check was fun...Clay was hiding behind a speaker for a while but we could hear him talking...so funny when he finally did come out...the cheers from crowd...he looked so cute with his jeans cuffed up and barefoot. Big oooh from the crowd when he said "shit" as in he was singing and there was mic feedback and he said "you guys need to check this shit"...he told us to hush after the big oooh! Anyway have to go pack...can't wait for Hammond!

Kim

A couple or three or four more:

Penitent.jpg

ClayandCasey.jpg

ash18.jpg

ash12.jpg

May I just say here that anyone who doesn't appreciate the "new" jawline -- I'm ready to go womano to womano.

How about that Peaches & Herb comment, huh? Clay said he and Ruben can be compared to Peaches & Herb -- a fruit and a seasoning. He's tooooo much that guy. I believe he takes self-deprecating humor to new levels.

jmn, Fear and aikim, glad you had a great first show! I also hope Clayzy checks in -- she said something on her Facebook last night about her "head exploding" after hearing Clay do Ricky Martin. (She's obviously not seen JBT clack!)

geekette's recap of her M&G:

Man, what a day, what a show! I'm going to recap what little I remember of my meet and greet before either catching up or falling asleep. Not sure which will come first.

The 4 auction winners went back first, Jerome leading the way behind the barriers to the stage. Several band members (and Ruben) were eating dinner under the gazebo to the right of the stage. Ruben came up (on the other side of a serving table) and I asked him if they had some good vegan food for him, and he said "yeah, but this is what I really want" and pulled out a hunk of watermelon, and offered it up. Very approachable guy.

We walked up on stage, and Jerome talked a bit about the setup, the monitors, and the "ears" the singers wear so they can hear each other. We wandered around between the drum set, the guitars, mics, and stools, and had time to take pictures (and sweat) for a bit. He joked how we need to give him a good review of his tour, so he could get a raise. Back down to a sunny spot for a welcome drink of water and a bit of a wait.

A little more sweating, and they snuck up - I never saw them coming. Clay took control, as he is wont to do, and asked where everyone was from, and if we were going to any more shows. Sadly, I am not because most of the rest of the tour is while I'm up in the wilds of New England with mom and sisters. I must have mentioned never having been to VT and he said "it's a lot like this" sweeping his arm out to the view. I joked about "the city of Vermont" and he hollered over to Felix "hey, she called you out on the city of Vermont" and they all laughed. I don't know that he'll ever live that one down...

Others talked about different things, but I'm not really sure what. I know their foundations were talked about (they both thanked us for our support). More general chit chat and Clay mentioned not wanting Ruben to mess up tonight, and somehow the Aiken random lyric generator came up. Well Ruben liked that saying all right, while Clay said he'd never heard that expression before...heh.

Photo time. I'd done so much sweating, I don't even think I want my M&G photo... Even though we were told to bring our own cameras, the pics were taken by their photographer. I may get my wish.

One guest had the AI2 CD for Ruben to sign, and the guys exclaimed how that was so long ago, and sort of mumbled something about "spooky", I think. We finally got them to explain what they meant - Ruben's track was number one and Clay's was number two, and the CD was done well before the competition ended.

I got the iPad signed by both of them, Clay telling Ruben not to mess it up, then looking at the signature and remarking that if he did, no one could tell anyway. True!

We were taken to the merchandise table and given a choice (i got the tote bag). That's all I remember of that!

We were given second seats as part of the package, and while they were a bit off to the side (and right in front of the speakers) I could really see their expressions, so it was worth the ringing ears.

I wanna go again! Hopefully they will extend the tour.

And these are from a new poster at the CH, heavens2. Some fantastic shots:

945383464_zijFt-XL-1.jpg

945453633_uzm2a-XL.jpg

945442812_bzToK-L.jpg

945435653_VZacY-XL.jpg

945432657_tRXvn-XL.jpg

945419065_pK93i-L-1.jpg

945387693_dq7pE-XL-1.jpg

And I think this one is most favorite picture EVER!!!

945392723_GiYUm-XL-1.jpg

From Cotton at Clayversity:

Hello, All!

I have a few pics and vids, but left my cable home. So - if any of it is worth posting it probably won't happen before Tuesday. :)

RE: M&G

We - I think all 5 of us - had a great time. Clay looked great. Jerome looks wonderful. He has HAIR! What's up with that?! :) I asked him and he said, "I don't know. I didn't make it to a barber?" :)

There are two trailers back behind the stage that serve as dressing rooms, Clay came out of one of those and joined us at a folding table with 6 chairs set up. Quiana and Casey came out briefly and he said, "you all know Quiana" and then introduced Casey. She is so cute and tiny. She's so cute it must be downright illegal how cute she is. (Sometime after she and Quiana left is when he said something about some people saying crap about her "online", but I have no idea who or where it was being said. Having been offline for a few days, I couldn't really say, I haven't seen anything or whatever. Sorry. He's just coming out fighting to defend his "family" again, I guess.)

He asked each of us who we were, where we were from,etc. and went around shaking hands before he sat down with us.

IIRC, he kind of said, "Okay, how's this gonna work? Anybody got anything they want to say? or question to ask?" A few people did and he chatted with each while including all of us. I told him he was a good storyteller, in the old Southern story-telling tradition, that I had had great storytellers in my family, etc. He said, "What?! You had relatives who liked to TALK?!" :giggle: (Then made sure I knew he was teasing. :) ) I asked if he had any in his family or past that were storytellers. He said - 1. He didn't. And 2. He doesn't think he's a good storyteller. I told him, "Yes you are. You are a great storyteller!"

I'll let others tell their stories of what he talked with him about. He made sure everyone had some of his time and attention.

When he was getting close to wrapping it up, he asked if there were any other questions and a few had last minute comments.

That was my chance to mention something my DH asked me to specifically tell him. He wants Clay to record Vincent. I began by saying I knew that would probably never happen, but I that my husband really wants that song, that there's some kind of connection with DH's Mom.

You could have knocked me over with a feather when Clay held up his thumb and forefinger and said, "We came thisclose to doing Vincent in the PBS special! Even as far as the musicians learning the music." At first he couldn't remember why they didn't but then thought about it and said it must be because it came from the 70's. I said, "Oh, my husband will be so disappointed" or something like that, Clay said, "Well, no, because that might mean that it will happen sometime."

My hubby will be happy to hear that!

Clay signed our items as we chatted. We got our pictures taken by Jerome. Nobody ever mentioned emailing them to us, so I hope those pictures with Clay actually get to us sometime! :giggle:

It was a very nice start to a fabulous evening of entertainment. Each of those four singers have great voices, stage presence and they were a good mesh, IMO. I had a great time!

I'm so glad I get to see it again in a couple of weeks!

Th-th-th-that's all, Folks!

G'night!

Interesting about the new backup singer, and also about Vincent.

Just watched the video of The 60's Medley -- Holey Moley! Clay doing The Jerk to Shotgun is something I never expected to see. And that Doris Troy song, Just One Look, is one of the best songs ever ever and too bad they didn't do more of it. That was one of my "belting it out in the car and in the shower songs" for years.

And I understand where Clayzy is coming from on the Ricky Martin. I watched all of the JBT clack, for years now, but the LLVL last night was so much more developed and comsuming and HOT. In retrospect, he seems like a kid doing it in 2005 -- in 2010 he's a full-blown hunkah burnin' love gyrating under that big shirt. The shirt had to be big like that to keep the women in line!

bc

I think the other keyboard player, bass and guitar players are new. Their names were mentioned but I forgot them. You'll probably get it from Clack. I thought they were quite fabulous. I imagine as the tour goes on they will be getting even looser and more improvisational. Ben looked a little out of place, just by being very formal looking, but fit right in. He seems to get bashed by some fans but IMO he is a great arranger. He can definitely do pop and r&b and not just Broadway. We bumped into each other once and he was very polite and sweet in the short exchange.

I hope the fans going to Florida have a fantastic time. I hope Clay and Ruben survive all the physical antics. :cryingwlaughter: Just stay away from the chest bump with Ruben, Clay.

See you soon aikim.

There was ayoung girl in the row in front of me who looked like clazy, bopping to the music but I wasn't close enough to call out her name. It was loud and really crowded. But oh so much fun.

Gosh.

I just watched "Clay dancing" by farouche, and it's hysterical! Clay doing the moves to "The Right Stuff" will be etched into my brain for a long time. And the looks on Clay's face when Ruben starts riffing on "End of the Road" are adorable!

I also just saw toni's September. It's still one of my favorite songs ever, and it's fun to watch the gang doing the moves again. Her clip also gives the band some face time, which is nice!

"Pastor Studdard" from farouche:

Would someone else, besides me, like to study that clip, beginning at about the 5:40 second mark, and look at the butt of those jeans.

Please tell me they are ripped. Please.

Further study is needed.

Yes, I'll go study, LJ, and in the meantime more pretties:

IMG_1247_filtered.jpg

IMG_1249_filtered.jpg

IMG_1244_filtered.jpg

IMG_1226_filtered.jpg

IMG_1239_filtered.jpg

IMG_1208_filtered.jpg

Ruben's wife may be getting jealous of shots like that one! Clay is so freaking photogenic and I was just thinking about his first photoshoot at Idol when he said, "I messed that mess up." He's come a long way, Baybeh!

Sorry LJ. Not ripped. I studied the picture in an isolated screenshot from Scarlett's Preacher video and they are definitely back pocket flaps flapping around.

OK, that's what I thought it could be as well. I just enjoyed the imagery of the other scenario, though....

That version of Mandy last night? Simply lovely. Best he's ever sung it, IMO.

:GA_FCA:

Oh, what a night! With the assistance of fan recaps and photos, the new Carolina On My Mind blog presents an overview of Friday's Timeless Tour opener in Asheville, a sizzler from start to finish.

Quoted in this entry are Brightstar, artz11, claynicianTB, tnmtmama, aikim, FearofH2O, jmh123, and BONILEE. Photographs are by ashtash24, Irishbookgal, farouche, Hotclay, toni7babe, and shutterbuglady. Thank you for such awesome verbal and photo recaps! :twinklewhore:

EmoticonEEEEE.gif The show sounds like so much fun. Thank you for your visits and comments as you download clack. Lots of people RIGHT CLICK-SAVE and leave. I really appreciate those who stop to thank the photographers and videographers who make these shows accessible to those not at the venue. :snoopy:

While putting this entry together, I have noticed that early fan recommendations for "video musts" include "Clay Dancing" (Farouche); "Stool Banter," "Eye of the Tiger," and "Africa," (Scarlett). What would you add to the list?

I haven't downloaded anything except Deborah's audio, on which you can hear all the hilarious banter between Clay and Ruben. :)

Have a wonderful weekend, all! :BlowKiss:

Caro :listen:

OMG, too funny in Canfly's Intro video, after the Angels Without Wings/TITN face-off when Ruben says "So honored tonight to have Clay Aiken open for me" and Clay says, "I'm pretty sure you came out first." These guys are a stitch.

I have yet to watch one bit of clack or listen to any song, but just reading and looking at those gorgeous pics and I am one happy woman. I'm at work now but downloading as much as possible. I think I'll wait until tonight though, when the ladies are asleep, to watch my clack without having to get interrupted. I want to savor these clips. I cannot wait until my concerts. First one is Chatauqua.

Postho'ing to pass along Toni's picture of the merchandise:

IMG_1129.jpg

And also to say, DO NOT MISS the TOML video.

Random thoughts:

Mandy has always been a song that I neither loved nor hated, just no strong feelings about it either way. I did love to watch SLC's version from JBT where he sings the entire song bonking into her camera, but otherwise nothing big for Mandy. However, Clay sang this beautifully last night. Just gorgeous. Which, after I watched the SM video and realized how hoarse he still is, is quite something. I've read people say that he was undermiked last night, but I think he was modulating his voice because he's still hoarse. When he's completely recovered, I expect to hear some differences in some of these songs.

I hope the career plan is to continue these summer tours in various flavors with cool bands, and in the winter tour concert halls with orchestras, jazz bands, or swing bands and that magnificent voice for the ages.

I see that this tour is already being called, not the Timeless Tour, but JBT on Crack.

ETA: merrieeee, show some restraint and try not to rush the stage tonight. Jerome is there, you know.

I am so grateful for all the clack gatherers and I must say it's wonderful to have a few new photographers pop up w/fresh eyes! Good god he is aging nicely!! I wish he would stay in those dark suits cause his body was built for them (takes a moment) :flirtysmile3:

On a more selfish note: I reallyreallyreally hope he loses that fucking big 'ol oversize yellow monster shirt that swallows him whole and covers the package before Reno!!!!

LOVED the hysterical intro number :cryingwlaughter:They remind me of Hope & Crosby!

Now I really, really want one of those black t-shirts. I wonder if there's any chance the OFC store will sell them.

I can get one for you in Reno if you let me know the size and your address.

So, I broke down and am stealing the neighbour's wireless connection...if he's not going to secure it, it's not my fault, right? In any case, I am sitting here laughing my ass off at these videos! Clay is such a little shit, he's been so quiet and meanwhile he's cooking up the JBT on crack in his spare time! God, I can't wait for Windsor. I think I'm going to try (try, try) NOT to watch the opening FWW/TITN clip so that I have something unspoiled. And maybe the preacher/lackofrhythmistis clip. Maybe. Hee. Off to watch more clack.

ITA about the freaking yellow monster shirt! God, someone burn it quick! I hope he at least has a rotation of different shirts for that part of the show so that I'll get something other than that 3 sizes too big thing at one of my venues.