#58: The man is made of awesome!

Thread Title  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• Clay Aiken can still curl my toes
    • Clay Aiken = happy sigh
    • I'm a satisfied Clay fan
    • He's still beautiful, sings beautifully and he's still OURS
    • He's made of awesome wrapped in fabulous with a little more awesome sprinkled on top!!
    • Forget life -- It's Clay time!

It just fills me with joy to read, people who *seriously* love beautiful music write "he's become a star in his own right." No matter *what* Clay's "next big thing" is, I still wanna pinch myself sometimes and say "Baby's STILL a STAR!" After all he's been thru, and we've been thru with him, I'm still thrilled that he didn't get squashed right out of the starting blocks or fade away after coming out. He's still beautiful, sings beautifully and he's still OURS.

Yep, Bon's a bit gone on the man LOL

Very wise words, and I get that feeling as well. Show business is the type of place that chews people up and spits them out at a very rapid pace. I'm thankful that Clay has been able to navigate through the highs and lows and is still here. IMO it's because of his charm and talent, and I love it.

Bolded part. Love this, but I'll also say that I'm willing to share him with anyone who may not know him...

Off to an all day off-site meeting. I didn't get my chance to do yesterday's song of the day, and I may not get to today's as well! Anyway, song of the day is:

Misty

Hey, can I nominate the bolded above for a thread title???? I like it!

I finally listened to the loonnggg Larry Flick radio interview last night. It was great and I learned a lot about Clay and about his journey. I got a kick out of hearing him use gayism's that I'm sure he censors much of the time.

I have a feeling that his second week will be decent, since he has been doing a lot of interviews and more and more people are going to be interested in the cd because of them. He's really shown his personality.

Feat of Clay

Scroll down for story of Clay holding the Idol alum record for most debuts in the top 10. Kelly is four for four, Clay is five for five! Whatever else, it makes a nice headline. *g* And considering the mass amount of radio play/singles success the others have had, I think it's even more impressive that he's been able to do this.

FEAT OF CLAY: With "Tried & True" becoming his fifth top 10 on the Billboard 200 with a debut at No. 9, Clay Aiken passes Kelly Clarkson for most top 10s on the tally by an "American Idol" graduate.

Carrie Underwood ranks third among the Fox TV series' former finalists with three top 10 albums, followed by Chris Daughtry, Kellie Pickle, Jordan Sparks and Ruben Studdard, each with two top 10s.

Aiken first appeared on the Billboard 200 with "Measure of a Man," which spent its first two weeks at No. 1 in November 2003. He revisited the top tier with "Merry Christmas With Love" (No. 4, 2004), "A Thousand Different Ways" (No. 2, 2006) and "On My Way Here" (No. 4, 2008).

:GE_FCA:

I don't think I've ever changed a running blog so many times as I have the current Carolina entry. It started when I added a link to the CanadaAM video (with screen cap by gerwhisp) and continued with the #1 Idol Runner Up to an 11th NJU story, which is most cute account about a class of second graders! :flirtysmile3:

Then came Billboard's Chart Beat column with the Feat of Clay article and MORE. Besides celebrating Clay's Feat, we can also support the CD by logging in/registering at Billboard Charts, listening to a clip of CTMEOoY, clicking on the heart, and leaving a comment.

It's a good thing I only had one student today. Thnx for your visits to the blog, which help stir the buzz. :snoopy:

Have a great evening, all! :twinklewhore:

Caro :listen:

I'm having to cancel my Reno trip -- as bad as that hurts. But it can't be helped. Fortunately, I am NOT cancelling my trip to Biloxi.

I do have two excellent tickets for sale to Silver Legacy if anyone on this board or any other is interested. Two floor seats, Section C, in the middle of Row 9, seats 7 and 8.

I have the hard tickets in my hand and it's gonna be tough to part with them, but I'm grateful I'll be at the last show in Biloxi. Even so, this breaks my heart today.

Just reported at CV that Clay will be on Access Hollywood tomorrow...promo aired of him talking about Rush Limbaugh and Elton John...should be interesting!

Back from Eye Doctor...2 hours spent there...first the usual tests; then they had to redo the glaucoma test because the first one came out high...all is well. Then they had to dilate my eyes so they could look further. I have a pencil point hole in the retina of my left eye they are watching. Another half hour or so picking out new glasses. I love trying on frames when I can"t see anyway without my glasses and then my eyes are dilated to boot. And when did glasses get so expensive? Upgrading to no line bifocals and with my prescription $300 per lenses. I almost choked when I saw the bill and then they were trying to talk me into getting a second pair for computer use! Get done with that and the Doctor decides he needs to take more pictures of my left eye...talk about a comedy of errors. It took two girls and about 6 pictures on the one eye. They couldn't see the spot he was looking for...I am sitting there with my chin in the chin rest while they are conferring...looking back and forth...first picture was too blurry, try again...get all set where they want me...oops your hair is in the way...re-arrange my hair...spend 10 minutes looking up and down and to the left and to thr right while they try to zero in on the spot. Go get the doctor to clarify. Take another picture...found the spot but it is not clear...delete that one and try again. Another few minutes while they have me looking all over the place trying to get the right spot. By this time my eyes are drying out; I am tired of not blinking and trying to stay still and I have to pee. Finally they get a decent picture and I can go.

So two hours at the eye doctor...I am $680 poorer (and that is with insurance); he tells me my corneas are dry and I have to use drops three times a day; thank God the day was cloudy so it wasn't too bad driving home with my dilated eyes. But in 7-10 days I will have my spiffy new glasses. I have never had bifocals before...I am a teensy bit scared.

Kim

The promo clip for Access Hollywood is in the CV Vault.

Kim

Sorry kf. There is never enough CA. :flirtysmile3: I hope you can find a buyer soon.

Ouch aikim. :o

Misty

I've always been a big Johnny Mathis fan. I was concerned that I might be disappointed in Clay's version. Nope! Big difference in tone, vibrato, phrasing and instrumentals. I really enjoy both of them singing this song. I don't believe that I've heard anyone else record this song. Nevermind, Sinatra, Fitzgerald and others have recorded it. Wickipedia even mentions Clay recording it on TnT.

Clay's voice is so very pure with a touch of vibrato in parts. Sometimes his enounciation is a little too precise but he makes up for it in feeling.JM had violins in his interlude whereas CA has one horn. I'm loving the brass in many of these songs, makes them a little more plaintive and perhaps more modern.

Not my favorite on this cd but I wouldn't skip over it.

Mine shipped as well!

I don't know if this works outside Canada but here is a link to this morning's satellite interview. Canada AM

Thanks. I hope everyone gives it a hit.

I am hoping Clay gets lots of Canadian attention so they will want him back again and then again.:)

I also loved the Chelsea interview. It's so funny but I am so not a pop culture person yet with my sit at home on my butt part time job I now know who all these people are. I think she was part of my twitter project. It's interesting that she has disdain for people who are famous for being famous. It's so prevalent in our culture today and the reality show phenom feeds into that. Not that I don't love reality shows but normally these people go away after it's over.

KeepingFaith I'm so sorry you aren't coming to Reno and to the Bay Area. I was looking forward to the hanging out with you and the drive up and exploring SF.

What I do love the most about this cd is how they stick in my head compared to most of the songs Clay has sung in the past. It's not that I didn't love most of those other songs though. Maybe it's because these were songs that I heard when I was a kid or maybe it's because of the phrasing on this one or it could be because the music just blends so well with his voice. I normally never pay attention to the instrumentation because I focus so much on Clay's voice that it all gets lost on me, but this cd is completely different. The instruments and arrangements add emphasis to his voice. I really do love this cd and can't wait until we get to discussing UM and Crying, which right now are my favorites. I might even be able to add something to the discussion with those two.

JustClay if I didn't know better I would have thought I wrote this entire post. As many times as I've heard UM he's gone and made it completely new again. I'm totally obsessed with that song and it starts at the very first note. His voice is just sublime.

Gerwhisp capped the Access Hollywood Promo, and here is the Sendspace download. It's on my local Fox station at 6:30 p.m. Friday.

As usual, Clay talks very fast. I rewound several times and finally had to ask someone what he said at the end. It's something to the effect that he didn't think Rush Limbaugh would make Elton John homophobic.

This is a screen cap of Clay's when he says it:

ah1capa.jpg

Have a great weekend! :BlowKiss:

Caro :listen:

It just fills me with joy to read, people who *seriously* love beautiful music write "he's become a star in his own right." No matter *what* Clay's "next big thing" is, I still wanna pinch myself sometimes and say "Baby's STILL a STAR!" After all he's been thru, and we've been thru with him, I'm still thrilled that he didn't get squashed right out of the starting blocks or fade away after coming out. He's still beautiful, sings beautifully and he's still OURS.

Yep, Bon's a bit gone on the man LOL

Very wise words, and I get that feeling as well. Show business is the type of place that chews people up and spits them out at a very rapid pace. I'm thankful that Clay has been able to navigate through the highs and lows and is still here. IMO it's because of his charm and talent, and I love it.

Bolded part. Love this, but I'll also say that I'm willing to share him with anyone who may not know him...

Off to an all day off-site meeting. I didn't get my chance to do yesterday's song of the day, and I may not get to today's as well! Anyway, song of the day is:

Misty

Hey, can I nominate the bolded above for a thread title???? I like it!

I finally listened to the loonnggg Larry Flick radio interview last night. It was great and I learned a lot about Clay and about his journey. I got a kick out of hearing him use gayism's that I'm sure he censors much of the time.

I have a feeling that his second week will be decent, since he has been doing a lot of interviews and more and more people are going to be interested in the cd because of them. He's really shown his personality.

Omigosh, YES, Liney, you can nominate my sentence for a thread title! I've got nobody around here to bubble over about Clay to, and I just overflow. I'm tickled pink and about to do a Sally Field here -- "You LIKE me, you really LIKE me!" :wub:

Lovely hearing from both you and ldyjocelyn. Y'all are a great bunch! Last time I was at my old board, the negative picking and pecking at Clay and TNT just got my goat. I thought, I wanna be where fans can express their differences of opinion without sounding like they frankly don't know "why they're still here." :argument:

MISTY -- Love all of it but for some reason "Don't know my right foot from my left" leaves me giggling about Clay's continuing claim that he can't dance.

:GM_FCA:

Faye posted on Clay's FB page (fan page) in response to the news that he had debuted in the Top 10:

Faye Aiken Parker: Congratulations Son, I have known for years what others have been learning in the last 7. You are a well kept secret from the rest of world. Maybe now is your time to really shine. I love you.

14 hours ago

1 Day until The PBS Special airs in Chicago!:yahoo:

10 Days until Clay is Bringing Broadway Home to NC!:yahoo:

27 Days until Clay is Addressing The Key Club Convention!:yahoo:

42 Days until The Timeless Tour Begins!:09:

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

MISTY -- Love all of it but for some reason "Don't know my right foot from my left" leaves me giggling about Clay's continuing claim that he can't dance.

cryingwlaughter.gifcryingwlaughter.gif

Sweet note from Faye....

Today's Song of the Day is:

Mack the Knife

It was suggested to me that the weekend be "catch-up" weekend (not Heinz, *g*), so there won't be a song of the day over the weekends. This means that if you're behind on your thoughts, the weekend is a good time to do so. I hope I have time to catch up myself!

That's my favorite phrase of the song, but this is the first time I've considered the dancing connotation. That's funny! I love those words because I'm a devotee of the way Clay enunciates "my errrright foot from my left." I love it, I love it, I love it.

This song is so much a remake of the original arrangement, but Clay's unique phrasing make it original, all the way through. I listened to Johnny's version the other day to freshen my memory, and while I love his tone and range, I'm already attached for life to Clay's phrasing. It's conversationally intimate.

Just a quick personal response about the People magazine review that compares Clay to Buble. To preface my comments, I want to make it clear that I am a serious political junkie and have been since about age five. However, I have never mingled art and politics to the point that I don't like somebody's work based on their personal lives, associations, or political views, until Michael Buble. As liberal as I am, some of my favorite actors and musicians are quite conservative; and there are liberal artists that I just can't appreciate and don't support. So, saying that, Michael Buble has moved into a category of one -- someone that I wouldn't consider listening to or supporting based on his political views and associations. You just can't be bosom buddies with Glenn Beck in real life and get my support. Apparently that's where I draw the line. I remember Beck when he was first on the radio here in Texas years ago, when I was first exposed to his raging ignorance, intense racism and dangerous homophobia. He was a fearmonger then and remains so today. I started writing to the FCC about him seven or eight years ago. Apparently you can't say curse words that are just words on the radio without huge fines, but people like Beck can blatantly lie at the expense of real people and groups of people, and make every effort to incite hatred and even violence toward them, with absolute inpunity. So if Michael Buble wants to call Glenn Beck a close friend and socialize with him and his family, that's his business. It's my business to say NO WAY TO BUBLE. I didn't buy grapes and lettuce for periods of time either.

I'm so glad I'll have the weekend to catch up on my thoughts about the songs. Thank you.

KF, I didn't realize that about Buble. I have to admit that many times I have let actors or singers politics or behavior affect my enjoyment. Now most of the time, I wasn't that big a fan to begin with, but it has affected my whole opinion of them. Cannot stand Chuck Norris anymore, and after the incident on Rosie with Tom Selleck, I have not been able to enjoy him. Then there are the celebrities like Tom Cruise and John Travolta who are really into that Scientology stuff, so I've lost a lot of respect for them.

Since I'm not invested with Buble, and I haven't heard him say anything negative himself, so his friendship with Glenn Beck hasn't affected my opinion yet, expect to question his taste in friends. I hate Glenn Beck with a passion.

Finally got my deluxe cd today, but I was surprised as it said delivery date june 14th that from amazon.com. I have another one that was delivered at my daughter's in Vermont but not sure when she'll be here to bring it. It's amazing, love Build me up butter cup, love his facial expressions! It must have such a great show to see live as some said "magical", can't wait to see him live in August!!! :04:

people.com

10 Best Celebrity Quotes This Week

"Very Sonny and Cher, but Clay and Ruben."

– Clay Aiken, on his upcoming concert tour with former American Idol castmate Ruben Studdard, on Chelsea Lately

Side-by-side picture of Clay and Ruben (from finale 2003) and Sonny and Cher.

Catching up this weekend will be good!

Man, we are falling apart, aren't we? I just got back from my new ENT (of whom I am very fond already, and the fact he is fairly hot helps with that). It's Dr. Pasha (if you're in Houston, he makes the "Bubble Guy" allergy commercials. After seeing the sad bubble man (and yes, I should be ashamed of picking a doctor because of his TV commercial, but I have no shame), and realizing I've been taking Zyrtec and Claritin and Benadryl and every other OTC allergy/sinus thing known to mankind (including a variety of neti pots, because I never remember where I put the damn thing) for years now, and have chronic sinusitis but have never actually been tested for allergies (even though I'll been going to another ENT for years), I show up in Dr. P's office, don't have to wait long, and he is nicely hot. Then he looks up my nose. Believe it or not, not one of the freakin' doctors I have been to in all this years have actually, like, looked up my goddam nose. Dr. Pasha is mildly disturbed at the amount of swelling and inflammation (and this is one of my GOOD days) - he has his nurse spray crap in my nostril so he can use the scope and sez, "let's do some skin tests". The nurse stabs me with eleventy-billion little pinpicks and considering my tendency toward hypochrondria, even I can tell nothing's happening. He sez, "well, we'll do the titration test anyhoo, but it doesn't look like allergies, let's get the scope up your nose and HOLY HOLLYHOCKS, GIRL...how have you been breathing!?!?!" The caps were all mine as his scope is on an LCD screen and I can see giant inflamed turbinates and big ol' polyps too! AND I actually have a deviated septum! Surgery is in my immediate future again. But at least I won't be walking on it. And yes, I will be taking concerts in account for the timing.