# 19: Clay Aiken: glorious voice, excellent comic actor, master of character and man in tights!

ldyjocelyn

Next thread title poll  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the next main thread title

• Clay is just so frickin' cute! Cute, cute, cute!
    • Clay Aiken, star of stage, screen, television and our hearts
    • He's just a gorgeous piece of manhood
    • Our man for all seasons and so many reasons
    • I am looking forward to every beautiful, funny, cheese-a-licious thing he throws my way this Christmas.
    • Looking forward to our Christmas romp in the snow with our Boyfriend!
    • GAHHHHH A main course of sexy, considerate, cute, hot, humble, witty, wise (& wise-ass) Clay for dinner, and then a helping of Teacher Clay for dessert. Life is good!
    • "What do you like?" Clay asks the little girl Sierra. And she said "I like you" She has good taste.
    • He has always been all that he is now, which is much more than he has often been given credit for, and even less than he is yet to become.
    • I think the world will always need Clay Aiken more than Clay Aiken needs the world. He is a realist; a survivor, and a star no matter how badly someone cuts his hair.
    • Was he beginning to get a clue that life would never be the same?
    • I am looking forward to every beautiful, funny, cheese-a-licious thing he throws my way this Christmas.
    • "Seriously, if I get any more excited about Clay being in Spamalot, I may spontaneously combust!"
    • "Spam me, baby!"

SpamMe.png

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! I have no content, just wanted to post that again. I am almost overwhelmed with all we have coming up. I have started packing for Vegas, starting planning for NYC in the spring, and let's not forget the two CiTH shows as well. OMG! :hubbahubba:

aikim, how cute! What type of dog is Trixie? You know, a year ago, no one could have convinced me that I would have a fascination for small dogs. Yet this little pug (who I used to think was ugly) has wormed her way into my heart.....

Cooking some chicken curry now...thanks FromClaygary for the recommendation on the sauce!

I hadn't really seen too many concerts---Chicago, Three Dog Night, Rolling Stones, Linda Ronstadt, Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Browne...you get the drift...

Mr. Muski helped me get "cool", though...I even caught a tamborine from one of band members at a Marshal Tucker Bank concert!

Nah. I'm still not cool. I still tend to like more 'mainstream' music...

I loved those artists. I'm with you muski. I was never really "cool" or knowledgeable about rockers or hard rock groups. I'm a more mainstream pop/ac music type lover. Although, since Clay has renewed my interest in the music scene, I am more open to liking different artists and genres of music. lightmyfire also knows a lot about rock stars. She has interviewed a lot of them. I have recently been checking out the top 25 lists of hit songs from the 70-s and 80-s and current hits of today. Listening to some of those old songs on you tube is so much fun. I'm trying to put together a list of songs for some new cds. I want to make.

I like all those artists too--you mean they weren't cool in their day?? I saw the Marshall Tucker Band in concert--were they supposedly more cool? I thought Bonnie Raitt was pretty much the coolest thing ever when I saw her. Very confusing this "cool" business.

Sounds like a bad case of the munchies to me. :smokelots: Back away from the wacky tabacky. :cryingwlaughter: I keed, I keed.

That's what I thought too, but I wasn't gonna say nuttin. :cryingwlaughter:

Drugs? I prefer Miss Consciousness Expansion of 1969. You know, all the telepathy stuff, Alan Watts ("The Wisdom of Insecurity," "The Book on the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Really Are"), the magical mystery tour .... are you familiar with the synchronicity of coincidence, ClayGary?

Hey--I expanded my consciousness for a living--bet you can't beat that. (Course I had lots of practice first.)

Yeah for Texas music--don't forget the Eagles. My family came that close to moving to Austin when I was in high school.

One of my students went to this big music festival of all types of music (new artists maybe??) in Austin every year. He's an indie indie now (that is an independent promoter of indie music) (well he was then too, but now he gets paid).

Trixie is a Boston Terrier...she only weighs about 20 pounds. She is 3 years old now, that picture was taken when she was younger. Bostons are a mixture of English Bulldog and English Terrier; she really does have a pretty face compared to other Bostons I have seen. I love having her here, but she wears me out since she wants to play all time...fetch is her favorite thing and she loves being outside. Unfortunately, she is not much of a watch dog; I think if anyone ever broke into the house she would probably lick them to death!

Kim

Kim! We had a Boston Terrier - my exDH and I when we first married. Poor baby had only one black patch, though. So we named her Penelope One-Patch! She was the most alert pooch I ever had. Just on guard ALL. THE. TIME.

I had an aunt and uncle who had a Boston. His name was Jefferson Davis!

Aunt Magdalyn played ball with Jeff. If the ball got stuck under the couch, Aunt M would say, "Jefferson! Go get the broom!" That dog would go down into the basement, get the broom, drag it UP THE STAIRS (bonkity bonkity bonk!) and take it to her so she could get the ball with the broom handle!!!

Smart dog!

Patch wasn't that smart. Or her owners weren't! :cryingwlaughter:

ETA:

BTW, I just want you guys to know I am VERY JELL-US of all your concerts! I grew up in Marion, SC. Miles away from nuttin'. I didn't know from concerts.

I saw church plays and piano recitals and band concerts.

That's it!

Pffft!

Since then, I have seen Mac Davis (OMG, the best concert ending ever - except Clay - he did a reading of The Creation over the band that was amazing!), Sting (who I used my binoculars on quite a bit :hubbahubba: ), and - oh yeah, that Clay Aiken Guy!!!

Drugs? I prefer Miss Consciousness Expansion of 1969. You know, all the telepathy stuff, Alan Watts ("The Wisdom of Insecurity," "The Book on the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Really Are"), the magical mystery tour .... are you familiar with the synchronicity of coincidence, ClayGary?

But above EVERYTHING, The Music. The Music -- rock, blues, country, jazz, and beyond categorization. I would put Texas up against anyplace for producing successful musicians and access to live music ... and the Hall of Fame ranges from Buddy Holly to Willie and Waylon to The Winter Brothers to Kris Kristofferson, Roy Orbison, Steve Earle, Steve Miller, Steve Stills, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Janis Joplin, Big Mama Thornton, Don Henley, Clarence Gatemouth Brown, Lightning Hopkins (who almost caused Ringo Starr to miss being a Beatle!), Norah Jones (daughter of Ravi Shankar), T-Bone Walker, T-Bone Burnett, Boz Scaggs, ZZ Top, Selena, Doug Sahm, The Dixie Chicks and tons of country artists including George Jones (who used to sing in my aunt's joint in Port Arthur way back in the day), also BJ Thomas (Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head), Mike Nesmith (the Monkees), Kenny Rogers, Johnny Nash (I Can See Clearly Now), Seals and Crofts (Summer Breeze), Meat Loaf, the genius of Townes Van Zandt, and Destiny's Child/Beyonce, oh I can't forget Pantera, ... and I'm tired of thinking of people.

The synchronicity of coincidence, and consciousness expansion? Peripherally....1969-ish I had a 2-and a 3-year old, and a husband who loved to spend money and hated to work...so higher learning, TV, and the music and themes of the time were out of my reach. I was intrigued by what I heard from others, but unable to pursue the interest.

I see it now as the Universe's way of pushing me to do what I eventually did; start a fund to make dreams come true for families that were the "working poor".

Consciousness expansion, at least.

Cooking some chicken curry now...thanks FromClaygary for the recommendation on the sauce!

Ahhh, you succumbed to the craving! Enjoy.....:lol: but that doesn't excuse you from our date!

Hey, don't be dissin' the Honeycrisp apples! Best. Apple. Ever. I used to really hate apples as a snack fruit, because usually Red Delicious was all that was around, and IMO they were NOT aptly named. They were usually mushy and rather tasteless. But then, two years ago, I stopped at our local orchard and asked for a good crisp, slightly tart apple that kept well. They got me onto Honeycrisps...and the rest is history for me. I'll never go back to any other apple for snack eating again!

All these doggie pictures are making me go "awww," even though I'm more of a cat person. My dad had hunting dogs, huge black labs. They were trained for hunting, but they also had a habit of jumping on me when I was a teenager, and I just didn't like that. Then, I married my husband, who was "raised by cats" (his words) and the rest is history.

As for the "cool music" discussion, it's always fascinating about reading everyone's musical tastes. I was raised on a farm far from ANY music center, so I was very much limited to what was on AM radio at the time. So when Clay's music is called "not cool," I just say "Bring it ON!" because my favorites were things like the Bay City Rollers and Shaun Cassidy -- the teen idol crowd. Or else, it was the music on this set: Have a Nice Decade: The 70s Pop Culture Box. Or this set: Like Omigod!: The 80's Pop Culture Box (Totally) (I own both these sets, BTW....) And then, in college, I was a big Huey Lewis fan -- and even though he was hugely popular, he was never considered cool. I revel in uncoolness. Now, I am familiar with the music ya'll are talking about -- in many instances I backtracked and discovered people like Bonnie Raitt for example. And I find some of it great in hindsight. It just wasn't what I was listening to back then.

I've watched the AYSTAFG clip more time than I care to count. What I love about it is that they captured Clay's laugh -- that wonderful belly laugh that he has. God, I could listen to a recording of him laughing over and over again....

Well - I saw ACROSS THE UNIVERSE a couple of weeks ago, and you should RUN NOT WALK to your nearest theatre and see it ASAP!

It is an experience for your senses. Like Cirque du Soleil on an acid trip. And lots of Beatles music - LOTS of Beatles music.

Like 33 songs and they are done fantastically! They fit so well to the story that you would think they were written precisely for it.

I've heard that ATU has become the IT movie for teens who are now discovering this music and becoming fans.

The actors/performers that convey the story are masters and I haven't even mentioned the director/producer yet!

It's a hippy scene/college protest/coming-of-age-movie/love story - it will BLOW YOU AWAY!!

keepingfaith - I enjoyed your little jaunt down musical history. (Too bad about Roky) I attended quite a few concerts back in the day myself.

I made a list somewhere, it's long!! I never saw The Grateful Dead, but once up in the Catskills, Jerry Garcia walked into my shop.

He spread his arms and said "What's happ'nin! I just blew in from the Coast!" The rest is a blur! :09:

:hugs-1: to all!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Hey Cotton: My mom is leaving Friday to go back to the old homestead where seh grew up: Estill, SC. That's a few hours away from where you grew up. I've been to Estill and small town doesn't even begin to describe it.

Thanks Cindilu -- Great emoticon. heee

I can't believe when this board started we didn't allow emoticons. What idiot came up with that!!

Hey Cotton: My mom is leaving Friday to go back to the old homestead where seh grew up: Estill, SC. That's a few hours away from where you grew up. I've been to Estill and small town doesn't even begin to describe it.

I had to look Estill up!! I was thinking it's near Charleston - it's more like 1/2 way between Chas. and Savannah. Pop 2425! (one estimate says"(3637 total Estill Urban Cluster pop.)") Yup! Small. Marion is about 7000. (I think that's less than when I was in high school!)

When you say 'go back', do you mean visit - or move back?

Marion County has been falling steadily down in income. Really, really sad. Too many politicians who care more about their own pockets than the needs of their constituents. And racial issues are still too much of an issue.

Sis worked with downtown 'revitalization' for a while. Constant uphill battle getting people to think outside the box! And younger forward thinking people moving out. Sad, ain't it?

It's a pretty little town. Nice little antique shops on Main Street. But the Wal-mart and Dollar Store influence pulls $$ from the beautiful downtown area.

I guess that's a nationwide problem, though.

When I was a teenager, my family moved to the big city, we acquired a TV and I fell in love with American Bandstand. When I was 18, I was auditioned for and won, a role on the Canadian version~Teen n Twenty, which was syndicated across Canada. I worked there for 3 years, and met many of the "stars" of the time as we performed with them. Most were a big letdown. :cryingwlaughter: Met my husband-to-be there too...he was a big letdown as well. :lol:

How cool is that!!! :cryingwlaughter:

Laughing about the cool part since that seems to be a theme today. Seriously, that sounds really neat--bet it was interesting. Not primarily the "stars" but seeing all the goings-on from behind the scenes.

First, Clayzor and jmh -- you guys seem to know more about the munchies than I do. Seriously, the stuff always made me lose my apetite. Yes, I've always been an anomaly. And I'll eat very little of the goodies I bought -- diabetes does rear it's head. My son and the little cutie will get most of it.

And jmh, I never forget Don Henley.

OK, LdyJ, who dissed the honeycrisp? The ones I've been eating aren't tart at all -- crispy, sweet, juicy, nectar of the gods.

I think the music we love depends on time and circumstances. Although we come from much different musical backgrounds, we all live in a yellow submarine in Clay Nation in Twenty O'Seven ... and we LOVE IT!

muski, I just love your post about the Orlando clack. In fact, I just read it again. Love it.

FromClaygary, you said you auditioned and won - but what does that mean? You were a dancer on there all the time?

Details, Girl! :)

Now, I really, really need to get off my butt and do something. My Sweetie is taking me to Vegas in Two Weeks, I really should unpack a box or straighten up a shelf - or something!

Latah!

My favorite was always Glenn Frey. Hope that's not blasphemy. I see he's not from Texas, but I've always thought of the Eagles as a Texas band. I love Don too, especially for his mind--I love 'em all. Have sung along to their music on many a road trip. New album soon--YAY!!

Kim! We had a Boston Terrier - my exDH and I when we first married. Poor baby had only one black patch, though. So we named her Penelope One-Patch! She was the most alert pooch I ever had. Just on guard ALL. THE. TIME.

I had an aunt and uncle who had a Boston. His name was Jefferson Davis!

Aunt Magdalyn played ball with Jeff. If the ball got stuck under the couch, Aunt M would say, "Jefferson! Go get the broom!" That dog would go down into the basement, get the broom, drag it UP THE STAIRS (bonkity bonkity bonk!) and take it to her so she could get the ball with the broom handle!!!

Smart dog!

Patch wasn't that smart. Or her owners weren't! :cryingwlaughter:

ETA:

BTW, I just want you guys to know I am VERY JELL-US of all your concerts! I grew up in Marion, SC. Miles away from nuttin'. I didn't know from concerts.

I saw church plays and piano recitals and band concerts.

That's it!

Pffft!

Since then, I have seen Mac Davis (OMG, the best concert ending ever - except Clay - he did a reading of The Creation over the band that was amazing!), Sting (who I used my binoculars on quite a bit :hubbahubba: ), and - oh yeah, that Clay Aiken Guy!!!

Not surprised at all about the dog going to get the broom...they are very smart dogs. Trixie will come and get me when her water or food dish is empty and if you tell her to get her ball, she remembers right where she left it and will go get it.

Kim

My favorite was always Glenn Frey. Hope that's not blasphemy. I see he's not from Texas, but I've always thought of the Eagles as a Texas band. I love Don too, especially for his mind--I love 'em all. Have sung along to their music on many a road trip. New album soon--YAY!!

Another Eagles lover here. jmh, I too sing along with them on road trips. When it's just me, I sing along with Clay, but if dh and I are on a road trip together it's the Eagle's, he likes them too. I just intersperse some Clay in with other things that we listen to when we are together.

Like Muski, I've been reliving the DCAT or SRHPT tour since last night. I'm just listening to audio. It's a compilation put together by Dancermom at CV. I like it really well. The sound is very even and she's done a nice job of fading from one song to the next. It is great reminder of why I'm still here. To use one of Clay's terms, he just blew the crap out of those songs. I haven't been able to wipe the smile off my face. Today I have the house to myself for a little while, that doesn't happen much anymore, so I'm listening to it on my home cd player, it sounds great.

I've loved everyone's pics of their pets.

I have started packing for Vegas, starting planning for NYC in the spring, and let's not forget the two CiTH shows as well. OMG! :hubbahubba:

Wow, you're packing for Vegas already? I have soooo many things to get through before Vegas - working lots of shifts at the hospital, playing in a concert, playing for two days of choir contests, and helping a student make recordings for college auditions. And, of course, being a Mom and taxi driver, too! I think I'll probably throw some stuff in the suitcase a day before Vegas.

But I agree about all we have to look forward to. It's a good thing hubby got me an external hard drive - the new clack is going to start rolling in soon!

Someone posted this fantastic picture upthread:

GR109.jpg

WOW!!! It's gorgeous. Five Goldens took some other LOVELY pictures at Grand Rapids:

He looks so happy, and soooo hawt!

GR106.jpg

YUMMMMM!

GR101.jpg

Yup, he has nose hairs. But what I really love about this pic is the eyes, the stubble, and the teeth.

GR108.jpg

Wonderful rear view!

GR107.jpg

Five Goldens took this pic at Baltimore - wow, what gorgeous hair!

Balt02.jpg

When I was a teenager, my family moved to the big city, we acquired a TV and I fell in love with American Bandstand. When I was 18, I was auditioned for and won, a role on the Canadian version~Teen n Twenty, which was syndicated across Canada. I worked there for 3 years, and met many of the "stars" of the time as we performed with them. Most were a big letdown. :cryingwlaughter: Met my husband-to-be there too...he was a big letdown as well. :lol:

How cool is that!!! :cryingwlaughter:

Laughing about the cool part since that seems to be a theme today. Seriously, that sounds really neat--bet it was interesting. Not primarily the "stars" but seeing all the goings-on from behind the scenes.

It WAS interesting; lots of hard work, too! As ours was a live show, we didn't do a lot of retakes, but we DID do lots of "promos" ie filming the live show at various locations that wanted us for advertising purposes~club and restaurant openings for the most part, but sometimes everything under ths sun.

We filmed to tape for most of the "live" performances on the show of "stars"; I met all the "Bobbys" (Vinton, Rydell, Goldsboro, and I think there were more I'm not coming up with :lol:), Paul Anka, The Kingsmen, Dion, Petula Clark, Roy Orbison (whom we weren't allowed to go near :lol:)...and tons of others I've long since forgotten!

Keith Hampshire (there's an obscure reference for you) led our in-house band; Dixie Lee Stone (see previous) was at that time his lead singer.

Dixie Lee and the Original Caste

The Bruce Innes that Dix later married (see link) was one of our floor managers.

Summers, I worked fulltime for one of the news co-anchors as her go-fer; that was interesting too, and she was awesome to work for.

FromClaygary, you said you auditioned and won - but what does that mean? You were a dancer on there all the time?

Details, Girl! :)

Yup! One of the "regulars", just like on AB. Never know it to see me now, huh? I danced my little butt off every Saturday from noon to 1 for three years! :cryingwlaughter:

ETA: a picture from the summer before the era above: :cryingwlaughter: From left to right my sister, her boyfriend, and me in 1963.

Gr12grad1963.jpg

Claygary, you must have great memories of your experiences during those three years! The picture is great. You're beautiful! How did you manage to keep your hair on top of your head without the wind blowing it down? :)

FromClaygary, that's some hairdo you've got there. I remember those very well. BWAH. :cryingwlaughter:

This is so cute! A YouTube of a couple in a car lipsynching to EIH: YouTube - EIH. Poor guy is trying to drive but eventually he gets sucked in, and he obviously knows the song too. I think it's "their song". I looked at this gal's other videos, and she's got a lot of diverse stuff, no other Clay vids. Lots of "cool" people--why you'd almost think Clay was cool. :imgtongue:

Wow, you're packing for Vegas already? I have soooo many things to get through before Vegas - working lots of shifts at the hospital, playing in a concert, playing for two days of choir contests, and helping a student make recordings for college auditions. And, of course, being a Mom and taxi driver, too! I think I'll probably throw some stuff in the suitcase a day before Vegas.

Ummm, hee, yeah. :blush: I just find that, for the kind of reasons you mention above (i.e. life with kids) it's helpful if I start throwing stuff in a suitcase now. Like printed tickets, confirmations, reservations, etc. And clean clothes. Then when the time comes around, I don't have to worry about forgetting my reservations, and all my clothes being dirty. :cryingwlaughter: