#28: The man's a joy magnet!

ldyjocelyn

New Thread Title  

44 members have voted

1. 1. WEEEEEEEEEE How many mods does it take to put up a new thread title...and which one do you want?

• Winning people over all the time
    • More kool-aid for me, please.
    • WHERE'S THE SMUT???!!!!!
    • ....having a verra verra good time!
    • Things are progressing!
    • Hannah is My Hero
    • Be warned. He's quite lethally cute!
    • My pocket book is groaning but I'm happy. Sigh.
    • songs chosen by Clay
    • EEEEEEEEEEEE!!! It's really happening!
    • he's teasing us, ya'll!
    • Put the kiddies to bed; this is gonna get good.
    • Holy mother of GUH!!!!!!!
    • I don't give a s**t what Clay chooses to sing on his CD. It's his choice. I'm happy with that.
    • Did you know GUH was not an acceptable scrabble word?
    • He sings, he dances?he drinks tap water?
    • in my mind I will cheerfully add "all the way to the bank".
    • I'm just happy happy. What else can I say? shrug.gif Thanks fer the koolaid?

atinal, I've accidently turned off the wireless card on my laptop a couple of times. You might need to figure out where the wireless switch is. Do you have a users manual for your laptop, or can you look it up on the HP website? It may be as easy as turning on the card again.

Here's the yummy pic:

Clay2008album.jpg

O.M.G... gorgeous! I sure hope this is the poster inside the cd, or tour merchandise. THUD!!!

aikim... WORD!!!

Just because one of the titles is Grace of God, does not mean that the cd is CCM... geesh! So what if he has one God song on the cd. We don't know the lyrics, so it could be anything. Bottom line, I trust Clay to entertain me and he always does.

I am THRILLED that LAA is on the cd and not a bonus track this time. This time I feel the critics will give it an honest listen, not like what would have happened if it had been on ATDW. They were so smart to do it the way they did, IMO! And, it fits the concept of the CD more this time.

atinal, what's your laptop's model? If it's like mine, there's a sliver of a button near the center of the keyboard that's usually lit in blue. Or you could try go to Start->ControlPanel->Network Connections. There'll be a small icon for your wireless connection. Right-click on it and pick "Enable" from the pop-up-menu.

ETA: I see that Gibby was much quicker. *waves to Gibby*

The wireless switch on my 2 year old HP is in the center under the screen on the keyboard. There is a small button that musr be glowing green for wireless to work. I turn it off at the beach because I get wired into cable there and don't want to know when there is another wireless system available.

Thanks, Gibby, Scarlett and Playbiller the button is right in the middle of the top of the keyboard. It looked like a little display light to me, I didn't know it would push in, duh :wacko: . Anyway, it's working now. I told my son, I'd bet someone on this board would be able to help me.

Well Clay is like a tree...you know how you can tell how old it is by the rings in the trunk (or something like that heh)...well we can date that picture by the hair color and style.

Looks very much like Valentine Kimmel Hair.

<-----see avi :wub:

jmh I'd say you hit all of the nails squarely on the head. Personally, after this many years...I'm just over the Clay party thing.

Okay fine....I was over it more than a couple of years ago. :cryingwlaughter:

---

FWIW I've never found CCM music to be "shoveitdownyourthroat" preachy. Introspective, yes. Celebratory, yes. But preachy? No.

linlas at the CB just posted that there is a full page ad for OMWH in the Spamalot Playbill!

Great News!

linlas at the CB just posted that there is a full page ad for OMWH in the Spamalot Playbill!

Great News!

Work it Team Clay!

The ad will be in all playbills through the month of April!

Kim

Great News!

Yeah!

All of us who are regularly reading and posting on fan board/s and saving Clack and spending multi bucks on travelling to concerts and some of us putting up with crap from family have a big investment of time, money and emotion in Clay. And not just in Clay when you take into account all the friendships that have evolved out of this sisterhood of Clay. I think it is only natural to want his career to go on a path that will allow me to continue to enjoy being his fan. I'm not saying that is a good thing, I'm just saying that can be part of being a fan for some people.

I have no idea how I am going to react to his new CD until I hear it a few times. I wasn't that thrilled with ATDW at first but I love most of the songs on it now.

I remember vividly being at the concert at Massey Hall in Toronto in 1965 (OMG that is 42 years ago!) when Bob Dylan played the first half acoustically and the second half electric with The Hawks who eventually became The Band. Wow..the amount of booing that took place. These were fans who knew every song and had spent hours discussing and figuring out what exactly he meant by his lyrics. They said he had "sold out". The booing went on from the US to Canada to the UK but Dylan never lacked for fans. The ones I knew who booed remained fans once they got over the shock.

Submitted after much thought and some trepidation.

I don't give a shit what Clay chooses to sing on his CD. It's his choice. I'm happy with that.

All of us who are regularly reading and posting on fan board/s and saving Clack and spending multi bucks on travelling to concerts and some of us putting up with crap from family have a big investment of time, money and emotion in Clay. And not just in Clay when you take into account all the friendships that have evolved out of this sisterhood of Clay. I think it is only natural to want his career to go on a path that will allow me to continue to enjoy being his fan. I'm not saying that is a good thing, I'm just saying that can be part of being a fan for some people.

I have no idea how I am going to react to his new CD until I hear it a few times. I wasn't that thrilled with ATDW at first but I love most of the songs on it now.

I actually agree with you. We all know that there is going to be some worry about this new album. I have a high tolerance for a little worry and a low tolerance for overwhelming angst. There's too much good going on so I doubt it will reach the levels of ATDW angst.

With this album, who will we blame if we don't like this album. Not RCA. Seems like Clay got pretty much what he wanted. Who do we blame if this album has too many ballads or message songs or fast songs or whatever. I'll be the first to say I can't say for certain what Clay would sing if it were all up to him. I have an idea but since he hasn't really articulated it before all I have to go by is what he has sung, what he seems to enjoy, the tour cover songs that he chose. I feel I have a bead on Clay although it may not be accurate and he may surprise me. That's part of the fun of all this for me.

Expectations are really high because many think Clay was kept from doing what he wanted to do. I agree that he didn't want to do a covers album at the time. I just don't agree that the songs on ATDW are the kind of songs Clay doesn't like and wants to get away from. So I think there will be shock for instance if Clay has many (5 or so) ballads on his album. I think the slow songs schtick contributed to it because people didn't take it as schtick but a slap at RCA. I never took it that way just as I never thought Clay was saying he wanted to sing the cool songs...or that the cool songs were bad. That also seemed to have many interpretations.

So while I expect angst, trepidation, worry in some corners, I hope the album isn't pre-judged on flimsy "evidence." And I hope that people really meant it when they said the most important thing was for Clay to get to do what he wanted to do - even if it's a shock to their system exactly what that is. This album..what little we know of it... seems like Clay to me. And he seems so thrilled. And it's a journey - so even if it's not what you want or expected - maybe the next step will be more to your liking.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee heard from LdyJ and she's still on cloud 9. Clay did not do stage door this afternoon!!

ETA: I wanted to add I'm no expert but this promo feels so right to me. The way they are laying things out I know there is a plan - a well thought out plan. I know many disagree but I felt they had a plan for ATDW..it just wasn't what we all wanted. But this is great. It really has me anticipating the album. I'm thinking the word is getting out to other than those really plugged in. The playbil for April is just great..doesn't this go out to all theater goers, not just spamalot people? It's great advertising for Spam and OMWH... I'm really enjoying this.

Geez, I guess I will be collecting Playbills for people again. I just caught up with the colored playbills.

Yes, Pleeeeze!!!!

I was just coming here to beg you for one with the new ad for the cd!!!!

:F_05BL17blowkiss: :F_05BL17blowkiss: :F_05BL17blowkiss:

What do I need to do to butter you up ???

:cryingwlaughter:

I still think some issue of 2006 dogged the promotion cycle. I see the haters revving up again, but they don't seem to be getting a toe hold even with warrior fans. Certain know it alls really helped drive the angst with fke information and their personal issues and I think that hurt promotion as well becasue the fans were not 100% behindthe project. Don't even get me started with the inter fan group jealousies, which did not help the competing release parties.

I see NJ is having a month after the release party this year, which I thikis great. They know most people will head to NYC sice Clay is there.

I don't really want to count promotion, it is what it is.

Oh the other thing that cracks me up is allthe people wanting Clay tostart his own label - gee, Constantine and Bo did it. Did they think Clay would be more successful at it?

Edit : maybe you should be buttering up Fear, she will be going to two shows i2 May. I am going tomorrow and once in april....maybe.....unless a good ticket just sort of shows up somewhere.

I understand that not all Playbills have the ad.

I don't give a shit what Clay chooses to sing on his CD. It's his choice. I'm happy with that.

Is this too long for a thread title??? I like it!!! Wanda... I soooo agree!!!

From Marilyn at CV:

QUOTE(Marilyn @ Mar 29 2008, 12:51 PM)

WHEN YOU CLICK ON OMWH FROM THE ARTICLE POSTED EARLIER, (ACESHOWBIZ )

YOU GET THIS!!!

On My Way Here

On My Way Here

- Clay Aiken

Genre: RockLabel: 19 Recordings/RCA

Release: May 06, 2008

[more info]

ANY Questions??? heeee

Apparently MOAM and ATDW were also classified as "rock", so I guess it doesn't mean much...don't really know much about this.

Kim

Here's the yummy pic:

Clay2008album.jpg

Am I the only one not loving that picture? Yes? Oh well. I like the pose but I hate - you guessed it - the hair! Don't like it parted in the middle, don't like how pale it is. I think he looks totally washed out.

(Did I just win you more money, cindilu?? ;) )

FWIW I've never found CCM music to be "shoveitdownyourthroat" preachy. Introspective, yes. Celebratory, yes. But preachy? No.

Depends on the song to be sure. YWT was the mother of preachy. AAL not so much.

Great News!

Cool! I'll pick up some tomorrow.

Personally I am not worried about this CD. I DO care what Clay sings because I want to go on loving his music and playing with my Clay friends. If he puts out an album of all holy roller music I know that he's going down a road where I cannot follow. That is MY choice and I would never expect Clay to do anything just to suit me (although I can think of many things I would want him to do to suit me.... :whistling-1:) . But I have my preferences and yes, there are some choices Clay could make that would make me not buy his CD or go to his concerts. But they are definitely HIS choices to make. And it shouldn't be any other way.

I also don't think just because the word "God" appears in a song title or in lyrics the song is CM. The "Christians" do not have exclusive rights to that word - or to that symbol. "God" extends well beyond Christianity and takes on may forms in many religions. Hell, even atheists use the word "God" in their lives. I am damn close to being an atheist (definitely am if believing in God means believing in the Judea-Christian version of God) and I use it all the time. Phrases like "Good God" or "God Damn" are part of our language and have become totally secular to most people. I have often seen things and muttered to myself "there but for the grace of God go I". To me it is just an expression with no religious connotations. Just because something may have had its roots in religion doesn't mean to the masses in today's world it always has religious meaning. Its just like someone on another board was listing the religious songs Clay had either recorded or done in concert. Most were obvious - YWT, AIW, Good News - but one mentioned was "Shine".

"Shine"?? I could not for the life of me imagine how anyone could think "Shine" was religious. I went back and looked at the lyrics and the only thing I could think of was the line about the angel and the devil fighting the battle within. So, just because words llke angel and devil appear - words whose origins were in religion - then its a religious song? I'm sorry but that is crap. Its called symbolism! Never mind phrase like "angel on my shoulder" are part of our common culture. What about "the devil made me do it"? If anyone knows another reason "Shine" is considered religious, please share.

I don't know what the legal definition of CCM is, but to me just because an artist may be Christian, and/or just because a song mentions words like "God", "Faith", "Angel", "Devil" and such does not make it a "Christian" song. To me, what defines CCM is when the lyrics are referring to living your life according the Christianity, referring to scripture, preaching the gospel at you, trying to convince you that only Christians are moral and worthy of love - that kind of thing. That is why I would never consider IWCY CCM, nor "Shine". Sure, you could interpret them that way I suppose, but you could also interpret "Touch" that way if you tried hard enough. Something like YWT - now that was most definitely CCM. **shudders at the thought of it**

I am a big lyrics person. That is one reason I couldn't stand YWT because the lyrics were so in your face preachy (and then there were those damn images...). I felt like I was being held hostage and being forced to listen to a sermon and I resented it. Some who, like me, were not religious, could just listen to the beauty of Clay's voice and not care what he was singing. I couldn't do that because I just kept hearing the lyrics. So if the lyrics are overtly religious, then I will probably not like the song nor feel comfortable hearing it no matter how gorgeous. But that is just me.

So that brings me back to the song titles on this album - specifically the one called "Grace of God". I would never reject it based on the word "God" appearing in the title. I would have to listen to it, listen to the lyric, and then make my judgement. If I don't like it or it makes me feel uncomfortable, then I just won't listen to it. As couchie said, how often do you love every song on an album? I never listen to NMSS on MOAM. for example. In concert I don't know. As long as it isn't as heavy handed as YWT, I suppose I can handle it.

And I doubt very much it is.

Bottom line to me is this. Clay's faith is a part of him but, with the exception of choosing to do YWT in concert and in the way he did, he has never tried to impose his faith on others. He doesn't do it when he speaks or makes appearances and with that one exception in his music. And I dare say he won't be starting now.

And if he does, it is his choice. If I ever feel I cannot follow his music I will leave wishing him all the best in life. Even if I find I am no longer a fan of his music, I will always love his voice and I will always love the man.

Luckily, I really do not think I will have to making that kind of choice any time soon.

And it would be a hard choice to make because he is just so darn CUTE!!!!

ScrpKym1.jpg

ETA: I don't know why everyone is so certain Clay will be in NY on May 6th. He could easily be flying to California to be on Kimmel or Leno or something. I would invite him to my house for our own personal CD release party, but I have a feeling he won't come. :(

YWT was the mother of preachy.

How so? The lyrics of the song say nothing about how someone else should behave.

what defines CCM is when the lyrics are referring to living your life according the Christianity, referring to scripture, preaching the gospel at you, trying to convince you that only Christians are moral and worthy of love - that kind of thing.

Actually isn't that what defines it for YOU? CCM is popular music that is lyrically focused on matters concerned with the Christian faith. It is an accepted genre in the music business with it's own Billboard charts. There are all sorts of songs that ARE considered CCM that don't fall into your definition. They are released as CCM, and played exclusively to CCM stations. They are CCM.

I never found YTW preachy either...In its simplest form...to me...it was a song about God (and personally, I don't believe there is a separate Christian God, Jewish God, etc....there is just God) and the belief that He was and is always there when you need Him. If you take away all the external components and Christian components and just focus on the sentiment it is a quite beautiful song that I think anyone of any faith can relate to.

Kim

What promotional opportunities are there in NYC - morning shows, entertainment shows, Letterman? or did he move to LA, what else.

I keep hoping he will be able to do many of those things on the week before..and maybe Monday..and you never know CG he just may be in LA by the 6th. I think we'll know more in a few weeks though..when his schedule starts to come out. Do shows like Primetime still exist?