OMWH Listening Party!

ldyjocelyn

This is a classic search for why there are such injustices in the world song.

I really, really would like this to be done with just an acoustic guitar and Clay. I think then it would have a very 60's folk song feel to it.

Is he doing an AOL Sessions like he did for MOAM? If he did, this is one song I would like to see done.

Then again, the AOL Sessions version of MOAM was always my favorite.

Yup he is doing one...yup would love to hear this acoustically. I like the fact that there are no background vocals...better to get the lyrics across..

My problem with it is that for a message song, it doesn't really seem to have a message - it seems more observational to me. He describes all these things - and then is grateful it's not him.

That's it! Comes off almost like a 'Phew!"

OOOPS - How did that happen?

My problem with it is that for a message song, it doesn't really seem to have a message - it seems more observational to me. He describes all these things - and then is grateful it's not him.

That's it!

I can see that point...but I think the last verse pulls it all together, that we need to be grateful for what we DO have. He just doesn't pound us over the head with that.

One of my favorites. Is your sign cancer too?

Actually yes it is. And how did you guess that?????

[

Sensitive and romatic . Plus i've been agreeing with your choices. Maybe we should do everyone's signs and compare to their favorite songs.

Surprisingly this is one of my favorites as I can really relate to this topic and it has a good beat. This is the most straightforward singing that Clay does on the cd and the lyrics are quite simple.

listen to how he sings "some" when he gets to the chorus. It has a delicious hiccup to it, that gives it a hint o'country.

I don't see the music being too upbeat for the lyrics although I heard that criticism before.

love, how he gets really soft at the end.

yes "Nashville pop" I think Clay is a natural for this type of song.

That's it!

exactly...its more a soft sell. thats why its really effective IMO.

I hear finger snaps hee

This is a middle of the pack song (hmmm thinking I'm liking the first part of the album more than the last). For me it makes me look a little inward..I complain a lot about what I don't have yet in realiy there are a whole lot of people less fortunate. This song will be a great reminder of that..and yep I need that kick in the butt reminder.

But even being in the middle of the pack..I like it a lot. I still don't understand how people can listen to this album and associate bombastic, or lush ballads with it.

That's it!

I can see that point...but I think the last verse pulls it all together, that we need to be grateful for what we DO have. He just doesn't pound us over the head with that.

He also says "pray that they survive" in the last verse

I hear finger snaps hee

I still don't understand how people can listen to this album and associate bombastic, or lush ballads with it.

Me neither, couchie. This CD is anything but bombastic or filled with just lush ballads! I think its a case of preconceived notions.

jmh it was Sacrificial Love.

Oopsie, well then it's not one my favorites, just cause there are so many others I love more. It's a beautiful song, and it might've been 30 years ago.

We've done our listening parties for this one before....but this song, in the context of THIS album....whoa. Frankly, very amazing, IMO. I always really liked the song, but now I think I love it a whole lot more. It FITS here better than it did on ATDW.

My other comment is that when I first heard Clay talk about the theme of the album, his life lessons on the past few years, and then finding out that this was going to be on the album...I was sad for him. How much of this is true for him? And if so much of it is....

:cry4:

When I heard this song would be the album I wondered how it would fit. I think it feels beautifully. It is just a gorgeous song.

couch tomato, I do agree. In what universe is this a bombasic ballad. And I think the lyrics are simple yet elegant, sophisticated.

He ended with this song. Any thoughts?