OMWH Listening Party!

ldyjocelyn

You know, this is another song some might think should be sung by a woman.

I love that Clay seems drawn to songs that are sensitive. He really is in touch with his feminine side. And not afraid to show it.

How sexy is that.

COMPLETELY!!!!! :hubbahubba:

This is what makes this so powerful...cos you know it seems typical for the woman to always complain you are not giving me attention. But from a man...hey that seems more interesting that he can actually recognize this happening...yup very much in touch.

11 grace of god

Some folks always get the rough ride

seem to end up on the wrong side

constant battle just to survive

on any given day

How can you explain the inequity in the world?

Fairness is something we believe in when we’re young - but as adults learn that the world just isn’t that way.

Right?

One of my favorites. Is your sign cancer too?

Actually yes it is. And how did you guess that?????

GOG

Love this except for one thing. The music is so happy-go-lucky yet the song is speaking about all sorts of sad things!!

This is one song I would love to hear acoustically.

Now THIS I could see as a UNICEF song!

Well, it was probably personal to the writer Carl Falk

I'm sure but Clay chose all of these songs for a reason. We may not know exactly what about the song appealed to him but do think in some way it did. And I think he said himself it wasn't just the melody but he paid attention to the lyrics. Even though saying that he risks being overanalyzed, but I think that's ok. Mostly people just wonder and then relate it to their own lives.

Next?

Grace of God...

the message song..but not really. Its more like wondering why such a discrepancy in fate...

love the melody and the words are simple straightforward... goes to the heart of the matter right away.

I love the message of this one -- and I feel that Clay's always felt this way, that there's so much injustice in this world. His travels with UNICEF solidified his feelings, and I think this song will be vastly important to him for a long time to come.

Sonically, I love his performance, and it's a nice chugging pop/rocker. There are sounds at the end though that make me feel my Gmail chat is pinging me. *g*

I think it was important to Clay to have a song that reflected his sensitivity toward the ills in society- especially as he has seen so much shallowness and superficiality in the entertainment world. I think this song (and As Long As We're Here) were both important to him for that reason.

I enjoy this song very much- it probably lands somewhere in the middle of the pack for me.

Sometimes its hard to believe in truth that we can't even see

When I first noticed this line it was right after the infamous blog and my first thought was how that line applied to so many in this fandom - they are so unwilling to believe in the truth they can't see.

Probably not what he thought of though....

Ooooo, hearing this acoustically would be fantastic!

The last verse slays me -- that even if you think the weight of the world is bearing down on you (see track 8 *g*), there's unfortunately someone who has it worse. Fantastic perspective.

YUP a good UNICEF song...

but CG I think thas whats brilliant about it...IMO...the melody is really a good contrast to the lyrics and keeps it from being maudlin. I don;t think they want to be hammering the point home.

I really like the theme of this one, and the lyrics. Musically it isn't one of my favorites, but it is catchy and easy to sing along with, unlike some of the more complex ones. I'd put this one in dudley's "Nashville pop" category. There's really nothing country about it, but still something about it reminds me of country pop or gospel.

I like the bridge. "Faith holds the hope for the world."

It's pretty light in sound for the heaviness of the theme.

I like the finger snaps in the last verse.

His voice is so deep throughout this song--that may be my favorite thing about it.

Well, it was probably personal to the writer Carl Falk

I'm sure but Clay chose all of these songs for a reason. We may not know exactly what about the song appealed to him but do think in some way it did. And I think he said himself it wasn't just the melody but he paid attention to the lyrics. Even though saying that he risks being overanalyzed, but I think that's ok. Mostly people just wonder and then relate it to their own lives.

Conspiracy theory #108 - maybe it was his record label taht didn't want him but wasn't ready to let him go BWAH!!!! I keed, I keed.

Grace of God - I think of it as his thanks to god, This time he did not hae to thank god in the credits, he did it in the album. I think we all feel this way, but who knew? A bouncy song about it,

I believe this is the only album where I want to separate the words from the sound,. I love dancing around to the sound, but sometimes the words are just too heavy. Bad fan.

I like that the lyrics are delivered in this kind of chugging tempo, though.

That keeps it from being heavy-handed, to me.

Wish I could find . . .

I think he does wish he could find "an answer" . . .

like when he talks about the news talking so much about Britney and not enough about a war that mostly affects children - and we "turn away" instead of trying to solve the problems . . .

I like the sound of this song, and I'm not bothered by the juxtaposition of a heavy topic and an almost bouncy melody. I find that interesting. I think the lyrical content is a bit lightweight for the topic, though.

Gosh, I feel as if I'm being negative tonight. Sorry if that's a downer. I really like every song, I'm just much more drawn to some than others, and enjoy anlayzing.

I love to hear his lower range on this. I have missed it since his demos.

The lyrics about Faith are almost hidden in this... "Sometimes it's hard to beleive in truth that we can't even see, but faith holds the hope for the world."

I can hear how he really gloms onto this verse. I think his voice gets stronger, tho it's probably my imagination... hehe

The main message to me is that no matter how bad we think we have it some days, there is always some who have it much worse.

I like this one... course I love them all to some extent... LOL

Love the way he goes down at the end of "justify". GAH!

My problem with it is that for a message song, it doesn't really seem to have a message - it seems more observational to me. He describes all these things - and then is grateful it's not him.

He sings it good.

I guess I would like it to go more in the direction of something like "Man In The Mirror" if you're gonna do a message song.

ETA: I guess I can sort of see the "faith" thing, but it seems sort of weak.

This is a classic search for why there are such injustices in the world song.

I really, really would like this to be done with just an acoustic guitar and Clay. I think then it would have a very 60's folk song feel to it.

Is he doing an AOL Sessions like he did for MOAM? If he did, this is one song I would like to see done.

Then again, the AOL Sessions version of MOAM was always my favorite.

11 grace of god

Some folks always get the rough ride

seem to end up on the wrong side

constant battle just to survive

on any given day

How can you explain the inequity in the world?

Fairness is something we believe in when we’re young - but as adults learn that the world just isn’t that way.

Right?

Right! Still hard to accept sometimes, but the world definitelly isn't fair.

One of my favorites. Is your sign cancer too?

Actually yes it is. And how did you guess that?????

I'm a Cancer too. Don't know which song you're talking about though, since I was late.