#35: You mean, it’s not all dressing up and dancing at FCA?

Thread title poll  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• I know, I know
    • Clay?s the balm, dog.
    • He's Clay Aiken, the one and only, for God's sake!
    • He's got energy, he's got soul, he's got it all, that voice pours out of him.
    • What can I say, he's addictive.
    • I'm of the "don't die til the bullet hits you school."
    • He can turn my world on with his smile!
    • Daddy now or later or never, Clay is a gift and I'd love to unwrap it.
    • Clay Aiken: Promoting Friskiness Since 2003.
    • It ain't my life, just my passion!
    • FCA - An anarco-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync nomadic omnivores.
    • CiSNOs from FCA who tulibu dibu douchou Clay!
    • The man has done so many songs that you never know when he will just pop into your mind as you go about your day.
    • The man has perfectly perfect pipes and a perfectly perfect profile presenting the perfect potion of masculine pulchritude!
    • What the man did with a minute and a half with a limited choice of material, a backing track and three idiots staring at him was nothing short of art.

Heh...Maybe I'm easily distracted? Also, my car stereo won't play CDs anymore, so when I listen in the car, it's with my iPod connected to a wireless device that plays through the radio...

So, FOR ME...the car is not optimum. Except for singing along. Which I often do...to the dismay of drivers (and dogs) everywhere. :)

I have one of those iPod FM transmitter devices, too. I like it on a long drive, when I want to change up what I'm listening to, so I can put my iPod on random, but I agree that the quality is not up to snuff, with all the interference, etc. So I tend to keep a copy of OMWH, ADTW & MOAM in the car for use in the CD player.....but my next vehicle is gonna have some sort of an iPod docking device, fo' sho'! :)

Hey, keepingfaith! My hubby wants to meet you. :giveflowers: I've been reading some of the posts from here about music, songs and singers, etc. and he's :hubbahubba: over your taste in music. He said, "Who is THAT woman! :17f71c4d: I agree with her choices! I like HER!"

:glare:

Hands, off, woman... :grrrr:

:cryingwlaughter:

Nice to see everyone is getting so much mileage off of my Dylan obsession!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

chachadotter#2 and I stayed up late last night watching "No Direction Home" and only got halfway thru it!! But if she asks to borrow it to watch the second half, I'm afraid I will have to decline! ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

happy.gif

birthday.gif

couchie.gif

HAGD.gif

balloonhearts.gifballoonhearts.gifballoonhearts.gif

I have the wireless transmitter, too. Yup. Lots of interference, so I just burned a few *cough4cough* of OMWH and I have 5 plus the QVC 4 songs in my 6 cd changer that play constantly in my car!

I'm okay with burning a few cuz I bought sixty'leven copies of the danged thing. I have the iPod shuffle and my car didn't have the mp3 jack in it. Poo! So I paid for the transmitter and never use it! Me no like static!!!

I was surfing around and found this montage of Clay spouting raspberries at the choir teacher who cut him from the high school musical...... I never saw this one!!

Does anyone know what musical they put on that year? :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Heh...Maybe I'm easily distracted? Also, my car stereo won't play CDs anymore, so when I listen in the car, it's with my iPod connected to a wireless device that plays through the radio...

So, FOR ME...the car is not optimum. Except for singing along. Which I often do...to the dismay of drivers (and dogs) everywhere. :)

I have one of those iPod FM transmitter devices, too. I like it on a long drive, when I want to change up what I'm listening to, so I can put my iPod on random, but I agree that the quality is not up to snuff, with all the interference, etc. So I tend to keep a copy of OMWH, ADTW & MOAM in the car for use in the CD player.....but my next vehicle is gonna have some sort of an iPod docking device, fo' sho'! :)

I disconnected my radio antennas and the interference is rarely a problem now. :cryingwlaughter:

Trouble is, the eject function of my CD player doesn't work, so I have to remove CDs with tweezers. I'll put a particular CD in and leave it there for months at a time, because removing it will almost certainly ruin it. Thanks to the new album, my iPod isn't getting much use at the moment.

I disconnected my radio antennas and the interference is rarely a problem now. :cryingwlaughter:

Trouble is, the eject function of my CD player doesn't work, so I have to remove CDs with tweezers. I'll put a particular CD in and leave it there for months at a time, because removing it will almost certainly ruin it. Thanks to the new album, my iPod isn't getting much use at the moment.

They have new CD players for that. grin.gifpeace.gif

Oh Lord don't even bring up those stupid ipod transmitters. They have been torturing me since the 2005 JBT road trip. So I'll just use the cassette thingie but that's when you get all that static. But I'm not one that cares about the nuance of the strings here and the oboe there. As long as I can hear Clay's voice? I'm good.

I was surfing around and found this montage of Clay spouting raspberries at the choir teacher who cut him from the high school musical...... I never saw this one!!

I think it was "Guys and Dolls" -- too bad for them. Imagine hearing this with everything Gibby wrote about Clay's voice and you'll have an idea of what they missed out on!

:F_05BL17blowkiss: R.I.P Cyd Charisse. *and thanks to claytonic and jazzgirl for the alert*

So sad to hear this right after remembering how my DD is named after her.

(Wanted to play the first part of this for her but I can't cut up mp3's here at the office so I'll post the entire song.)

Actually, I like the FM transmitters that PerusingOne and I use -- which kinds aren't goo so we can avoid them? Maybe it's the frequency in diff cities? We have lots of blank space here.

Would you believe ....

As of today, OMWH has 117 spins --and REO Speedwagon's song has 118. One silly spin off of being #26. OMWH has increased 16 spins over last week.

LEADERS/SPINS are:

KMGA-FM Albuquerque - 11

KUMU-FM Honolulu - 10

WRAL-FM Raleigh - 8

WCDV-FM Baton Rouge - 8

KBEZ-FM Tulsa - 7

...and I want to kiss Kipper's feet for ensuring that the anger, grief, and determination in that voice are front and center...and for capturing the (what IS that SEXY sound?) in Clay's throat as he releases that final note. Guh. This is an incredibly complex song. As usual, Clay makes it seem effortless. This could easily be an anthem for people resolving their feelings about painful relationships. I like this song so much that I have ONLY gifted the Walmart bonus album.

Regarding Kipper, as previously pledged, I'll kiss whatever he wants me to kiss -- with feeling. The man did beyond an outstanding job producing OMWH. These songs are full of delightful and sometimess exotic and quixotic sounds, and I'm sure I haven't isolated half of them. Easily I could be on my knees.

The Walmart bonus edition -- yeah, me too. And pay the high price at that! And at Walmart, for Heaven's sake. Oh God, I'm such a sucker for a song. I couldn't bear the thought of giving the CD to someone/anyone without FIEKY.

Hey, keepingfaith! My hubby wants to meet you. :giveflowers: I've been reading some of the posts from here about music, songs and singers, etc. and he's :hubbahubba: over your taste in music. He said, "Who is THAT woman! :17f71c4d: I agree with her choices! I like HER!"

I'll tell you something about me. I probably should have spent more time concerned with making money than with my head stuck in speakers for 40 years -- at home, in the car, at the concert hall -- but I know I'd do it all over again. Most of the avenues of my life were places where I was led by the music. I've been saved by the music on several occasions -- married for the music -- and even divorced for the music. I was a little piano-playing nerdmaniac for the music, and a hippie chick enslaved by the genius of Jimmy Page, and the heartfulness of Jackson Browne -- and sooooo many others. It's a transcendental relationship of a pure clairvoyant nature. All of my family is quite accustomed to my Life Is Music mantra -- but I don't think they ever saw Clay Aiken coming.

Now where's that time machine for a few lot of shows back in August 2005 ..... and September 2004 ..... and for Thanksgiving Day, November 25, 1976, the Winterland Ballroom -- and yes I'll take passengers. I love good company!

That would have been guys and dolls. Clay wanted the leading man role and instead he was given the role with on big song (that he would have killed on) Still he felt he deserved a more important role I don't remember if he quit or it the teacher replaced him because he complained. I believe she said he did not look like a leading man.

That would have been guys and dolls. Clay wanted the leading man role and instead he was given the role with on big song (that he would have killed on) Still he felt he deserved a more important role I don't remember if he quit or it the teacher replaced him because he complained. I believe she said he did not look like a leading man.

Guess she never heard of hair/makeup/costume, huh?

Stoopid, shortsighted woman to choose fluff over substance!

Seriously, stage is not the movies with 80 foot wide closeups.

That's one thing the stage has always been able to do - choose voice over look.

Idiot.

I'm glad he's made the raspberry part of his schtick!

ETA:

Yes, he's a very handsome guy, but he needed help in his earlier, skinner days.

They have new CD players for that. grin.gifpeace.gif

I hear there are things called jobs where people give you money to buy new CD players, but I can't find one of those either. :cryingwlaughter:

Speaking of which....

I'll tell you something about me. I probably should have spent more time concerned with making money than with my head stuck in speakers for 40 years -- at home, in the car, at the concert hall -- but I know I'd do it all over again. Most of the avenues of my life were places where I was led by the music. I've been saved by the music on several occasions...I was a little piano-playing [violin playing, singing] nerdmaniac for the music, and a hippie chick enslaved by the genius of .... [Eric Clapton] and the heartfulness of .... [The Grateful Dead] -- and sooooo many others. It's a transcendental relationship of a pure clairvoyant nature. All of my family is quite accustomed to my Life Is Music mantra -- but I don't think they ever saw Clay Aiken coming.

You are me (almost).

FIEKY was not one of my favorites, but this discussion makes me want to go back and listen to it more. It just did not "grab" me like some of the other songs did.

Gibby,

Thanks for telling us where the bridge begins. That will help me alot. Also, for an ignoramous, can you explain what exactly is a bridge in music and what it is supposed to do in a song. If you have already explained this, sorry but I missed it. This is providing me with a really good opportunity to understand music. I love music and have a large and varied collection, but really know nothing except that for some reason, the music, lyrics and the artist "speak" to me. I can, however, most of the time, just hear a few notes of a song, especially one that is not current and instantly know what the song is. That is my only musical talent since I cannot carry a tune. That does not stop me from singing though! (when I am by myself.) I love to sing along with Clay when I get carried away.

the genius of .... [Eric Clapton] and the heartfulness of .... [The Grateful Dead] -- and sooooo many others.

You are me (almost).

Maybe I really am. Just listened to Ripple this morning. If I knew the way, I would take you home. :friends:

And I'm still a little burned about Cream breaking up -- but the Derek & The Dominoes concert was pretty damn good, even though Eric never once moved.

OMG - I just read the Star at my nail place. What a crock of crap. It shows a full page + picture of Clay with his BabyMama dining out in Brentwood - and it's Jamie!!! They don't even bother to check facts - they just print whatever they come up with. Even if someone didn't know him, I dont know how they could believe that garbage...it's so clearly fake.

Mentioning Eric Clapton made me think of something sort of funny - well, it's funny now! My son lived at Pacific Beach after he graduated from college. It's a beach town a little bit north of San Diego. It also has one of the highest incidents of car break-ins in the state. His pickup was broken in to 3 times and each time they took his Eric Clapton CD (I think it was Unplugged) He would go out and buy the CD again, and the truck would get broken in to again. After the last time he said he was through with that CD and never purchased it again - and it was his favorite! :cryingwlaughter:

I believe she said he did not look like a leading man.

I would be curious to think of what that teacher thinks of Clay now! And when are people going to stop telling him he can't do something because of the way he looks!!! :imgtongue:

Waaaah Waaaah - I can only steal internet for seconds on the hour and the phone repair person i not here for the thrid day - they said he would be here this morning, but it is well past morning and it is lightning now! I guess i can kiss this day's repair good by again.

[/end of well over and tiresome used rant]

couchie... :bday: pffft... 46 is YOUNG, woman! Enjoy your day!

Gibby, Gibby...you are CLEARLY not a true academic...I was digging for those deep nuances that you didn't know about (and I might have made up) - your id was talking straight to me (and apparently Muski - your id seems to get around - maybe you oughta talk to it about safe smutting) - accuracy just gets in the way of my BS!

KAndre... You always make me laugh... safe smutting, indeed, is needed around here! :cryingwlaughter:

The man has perfectly perfect pipes and a perfectly perfect profile presenting the perfect potion of masculine pulchritude!

:countingsheep:

:nightienight:

:claydreaming_ClayIzzaQt:

:856:

I'm so glad

that the piteous poster

is now a happy Mate!

Cuz imPeding aquisition

of Purdymous Profiles

is a Piteous Pictureless NOPHOTOGATE inexcusable!

And really must be rectified

with a Mulitude of Photo Fare and Fair

Which shall be

Piercing our heartes with his pulchritude.

For Profiles Prolific

though our files may appear

There is no such thing as

The photocability of overabundance of Aiken.

Cotton... loved your song and... are you sponsored by the letter "P"??? Sesame Street is calling your name, I'm sure! :clap::cryingwlaughter::clap:

Well, it could have been that Clay and his music teacher did not exactly see eye to eye and he didn't seem shy about speaking his mind.

Clay?

Outspoken?

Surely you jest.

Cotton... :cryingwlaughter: I read somewhere that she had told him in his junior year that if he sang with the choir at that big yearly event (he wanted to solo), that he would have the lead in that play, then she reneged, so his senior year, he sang solo and got the only standing ovation. IIT, that could have factored into the raspberry, too.

Play... soowy those nasty repair peoples are making your life hard!

Happy Birthday Couchie!!!

I was the first Clay fan couchie ever met, so y'all can be grateful that I didn't scare her away!

I'm a day behind, so I'll just WORD Gibby regarding FIEKY. Love the intervals. Love the bridge. Love the way he holds out the glory note while the band rampages all over the scale before catching up with him and resolves the dissonance. Love that so many posters here used the word dissonance in their posts. Y'all rock!!

Someone probably answered the bridge question already, but I spent time on it so I'm posting anyway!!

What is a bridge in music? Basically it's a transition section. It is musically different from the main theme. It may involve changing to a different key. It adds a bit of drama to the song. It's most frequently used before the last section of a song.

In music theory/appreciation classes you learn to identify the sections of how a song or classical song is built.

In "On My Way Here" the pattern goes like this:

Section A: The verses section. The part about the kitchen floor through the part about moving every year.

Section B: The chorus: On My Way Here, where I am now, etc.

Section A is repeated with another verse

Section B is repeated with another chorus of "On my way here..."

Section C: The bridge. This is where he changes the key and is the section that starts with "No guarantees" and goes through "I guess that is why"

Section B...the chorus is repeated again with a small instrumental section then Clay singing On My Way Here to the end of the song.

So the musical structure is: ABABCB for that song, with C being the bridge.

I loved that the Wikipedia entry for a musical bridge includes a reference to Spamalot:

Lyrically, the bridge is typically used to pause and reflect on the earlier portions of the song or to prepare the listener for the climax.[citation needed]

The theme "The Song That Goes Like This" from the musical play Spamalot spoofs in its lyrics the abuse of the bridge in romantic songwriting: "Now we can go straight / into the middle eight / a bridge that is too far for me."

My contribution to the Dylan discussion: Bob was born in the same town as my mother, Hibbing Minnesota, and went to Hibbing HS, just like she did. Otherwise.....GREAT songwriter. Cannot listen to the man sing....except for "Lay Lady Lay". Love that song.

Last but not least (I hear you all sighing in relief), the raspberry Clay has used more than once for his HS music teacher cracks me up. I always wanted to make a montage, if I could figure out how, to Buddy Jewell's song "I Wanna Thank Everyone". For those not in the know, he was the first winner of "Nashville Star" but had been a session musician for years while trying to make it. That song made me think so much of Clay. I can't get to any music sites from work, but here are the lyrics. The first line and the last lines are spoken, supposedly in a conversation with a record company exec:

"Excuse me, but do you actually have yes in your vocabulary?",

I guess it started when I was a kid,

If you said I couldn't do it, I did,

Always had a stuborn streak,

Put a wall in front of me,

And I'll find a way to get around it,

There was a friend who said I'd never make the team,

A lot of small town talk said I'd never leave,

Ah and you know who you are,

You all played a part,

In pushin' me on to my dream,

I wanna thank everone who ever told me no,

Pack it up and get back home,

It kept me going knowin' I would prove them wrong,

Yeah I knew it all along,

Without 'em I might have given up a long time ago, and so,

Played my music for a man behind a desk,

He said sorry what you've got I just don't get,

Ah but here I am today,

Standin' on this stage,

And I wonder even now if he gets it yet

It kept me going knowin' I would prove them wrong,

The ones who said I'd never make it,

Those who doubted I could take it,

I'll owe ya one,

It kept me going knowin I would prove them wrong,

Yeah I wanna thank everone who ever told me no,

"We'll get back to you on that son, just keep trying...

You know, I'm not sure that you LOOK like a star".

Simon, anyone???

OK. Nose back to the grindstone.

Instead of quoting, I'll just

:clap: :clap: :clap:

liney and perma!

Love the raspberry!

If you ever do a montage, perma, (or talk someone into doing one re your scenario and song) I hope you'll have him raspberry a tabloid or two in addition to Slimon! :)