#36: It ain't my life, just my passion!

ldyjocelyn

New Thread Title Poll  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like our next thread title to be?

• Whatta man, whatta man, whatta mighty good man...
    • And the biggest protection of all will be love
    • Tell me another person that's ever gone through the Idol mill with such gifts.
    • Clay is the master lemonade maker
    • If you don't get Clay, no explanation is possible, and if you do, no explanation is necessary.
    • And--just on general principles--I love Clay.
    • muchos gracias to a globe-trotting, lazy-ass, dog-loving, soft-rocking dude!
    • Very nice to look at...this very well put together firecracker.
    • the class clown got to be the star
    • Whenever he's ready, I'm ready for whatever he's ready for.
    • FCA - An anarco-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync nomadic omnivores
    • when the sweetsingerman finds a style he likes he buys a dozen!!!!

Rachael Rae had an interesting segment on today about "gossip". They challenged 4 women in their twenties(all professionals by the way) to go an entire week without gossiping. These women were heavy into the tabloids and entertainment shows. It was a hoot and they had a really difficult time...actually had to start over a couple of times. They were suffering withdrawal, I swear.

You're right, surely I can find a better way to celebrate Canada Day....but it's taken me ages to catch up with you all. You sure can talk. At least today I don't feel guilty because I don't quilt or knit(mind you, your creations are to be admired).......I can't even throw in my 2 cents about radio play in my area.....cos there ain't none that I can find....wonder what he did to mess with the Canadian stations??

The main thing is the sun has finally come out after a very depressing week of fog( can't do a thing with my hair) The temp got all the way up to18(66)......HEAT WAVE....break out the sunscreen.....Canadain skin must be protected at all times.

I have no breaking news or reports of anything remotely interesting...I am excited to hear Karen eh is in motion and heading this way........fireworks tonight providing the fog stays outside the harbour. So for now it's back to my cave or maybe I'll venture outside..now that would be a novel idea.

In the time I took composing this sucker, everyone's moved on, most likely, so please do scroll at will:

Not ruffled either. After muskifest's post, I will admit that I am annoyed, though. My post that was singled out was a short paragraph expressing sympathy but disagreeing with the perspective expressed; the response was a tome. What's up with that? Look, there's nothing WRONG with either of you, but what's with all the CAPITALIZATION FOR EMPHASIS? It comes off as angry. If I can't disagree without making you angry, then that's a problem.

jmh...

Your paragraph was short, true. My post was long, true. You found that the occasional word I capitalized to try to mimic how I might verbally say them in context, to show anger. I felt that the manner in which you expressed yourself tersely came across as somewhat unpleasant. Those reactions to the printed word on message boards are common. I wasn't angry and I hope you weren't trying to portray 'pissy-ness'. And so it goes.

djs

No fences here that I can see, unless it is one that encloses everybody. Just because someone feels they need to climb over it (or build one) doesn't mean there is any need to take "sides" - that sort of thing is completely manufactured and individual, IMO. Hell, I didn't know we were divided enough so that some of us could be referred to as "you guys"! :-)

Again, the power and frailties of the written word. The fence was simply a figure of speech meant to aknowledge the obvious difference of opinion of jmh and kf's posts in response to CG's post. No muskets being aimed over an actual fence, you know. My "you guys" came from the feeling that you two did kinda 'take on' the opinions put forth in CG's post, which were after all what she'd come to have from her own individual experiences, so I addressed my comments to make sure I wasn't addressing everyone reading. No finger pointing was accompanying my typing those words, by the way.

I'm having a bit of a problem here, folks. We talk about our board being one where all opinions can be expressed without fearing attack or derision. I like to look at the future---mine, Clay's and all of yours---with a healthy dose of optimism as much as the next person and choose to believe (as I have repeatedly stated) that Clay WILL succeed the way he chooses to. (no anger in that emphasis) I don't bring over nasty, yucky stuff from anywhere about Clay---I trip over it sometimes, don't go looking for it but don't care to keep seeing and discussing it.

But it's out there---both on the internet, in the media and from the mouths of those less enlightened than us. It's a reality for many people who are fans of the man, so telling somebody who experiences that--

If this is what being a Negative Nelly is all about, then you are one--you are emphasizing the absolute worst of his situation. Get some sleep, and if you're worrying about Clay, just don't. It's not your problem, there's not a damn thing you can do about it, you've already admitted that your fandom is top secret from everyone you know so you're safe there, so just go on with your life and enjoy whatever aspect of your fandom pleases you.
(jmh's post)

That, IMO, is not a friendly, "you have a right to your opinion without fear of feeling attacked for it" kind of post. Admins--delete me if you must, but I find that kind of post an attack on the poster, not on her opinion.

I love Clay Aiken and plan on continuing to do so, whatever musical or career or daddy path he chooses to take. But I am not blind or deaf to the perceptions that exist about him among many who unfortunately don't know about all the wonders of the guy that we've been lucky enough to experience---I don't share these perceptions or seek these crappy things out or go looking for people who have want to say crappy things---but they exist. Unfortunately, the media and other mass-marketing vehicles (like ignorant talk show hosts, djs, anchor people, etc.) are tools (heh) that often make the sensational and quirky BREAKING NEWS ABOUT CLAY AIKEN! overshadow the "amazingly marvelous" about the man to a casual listener.

I like to tiptoe through tulips as much as the next FCAr. But I live in a real world and am all right with acknowledging that crabgrass sometimes insinuates itself in the field, you know? I'll pull that shit out when it makes sense too, or go around it to reach the flowers if that makes more sense.

But I don't look at the field and ONLY see tulips. And I'm not especially warm and fuzzy about the feeling ---here on my 'home' message board---that if I acknowledge or comment on the crabgrass' proliferation or insinuation into the fields upon which I roam in my real life, I should be shown the errors of my ways. I'm not the one with the fucked-up opinions! I'm just saying that some people have them.

I'm done.

Wake up.

I mean it. B):lol:

I'm owning both what I write and how I write it. I won't continue on the board re: this particular situation, but if you want to PM me, no problema! Otherwise, I'm off to do what I marginally get paid to do.. :whistling-1:

BTW...LOVE the new banner! As Paris Hilton would say (and in this one instance be talking with some intelligence) He's HOT!

Well yesterday ended our fiscal year and thus my time is not my own for the next month.

I think at the core of it all, we all just want Clay to have the respect he deserves and I think the only thing that separates us all is how we each process things. It hurts to see him used as punching bag but you know it's just the way our society is now. Apparantly people enjoy that type of thing, or enough to make it profitable. But it's not the entire world and I still don't see his situation as so dire. Not the man who could walk into a well established Broadway show and more than hold his own. Not the man who continues to go about living his life, seeing friends, and trying to make a difference. He has such a dignity about him and that will see him through as well as his talent. I'm not of the mind that Clay has chosen the wrong way to handle the slings and arrows. There's a reason he and others have chosen this path. Maybe it's a hard row to hoe, as that old saying goes, but I have a feeling that the alternative road would not sit well with him nor make those not inclined to right now, see him any differently.

BWAH - no Cotton..see line number one...plus the fact that I have to once again remove a layer of dust from my office.

Couchie... I like what you said! He does indeed have a dignity about him... classy man. Even when he's being supremely silly, he's classy somehow.

Clay is unique/different than your average bear. That has always drawn slings and arrows from those who don't like to look deeper to see that being different isn't bad or wrong. If you stand out, you are a better target and boy does he stand out (yes, muski, that stands out too!!!) :cryingwlaughter: I wouldn't be so attracted to him if he was just like everyone else. I mean anyone who poops his pants with the flair that Clay did will succeed in life... absolutely, positively!!! :cryingwlaughter:

Rachael Rae had an interesting segment on today about "gossip". They challenged 4 women in their twenties(all professionals by the way) to go an entire week without gossiping. These women were heavy into the tabloids and entertainment shows. It was a hoot and they had a really difficult time...actually had to start over a couple of times. They were suffering withdrawal, I swear.

Interesting. I don't seek out celebrity gossip but it's amazing how it's just everywhere you go. The news is a joke. I learned all about Amy Winehouse on the news last night. I guess I was one of the few people in the world that doesn't know anything about her. Now I know all about her latest ailment, but wait, her rep said no she doesn't have that... so uh...why does this make a difference one way or the other in my life that she may or may not have slapped a fan or may or may not have some ailment or may or may not be in rehab. Why does that make the news?

Muski, I just think our definitions of tulips and crabgrass are different - I am not in denial, I just attach different levels of importance to a lot of stuff. I also live in the real world, ya know! I just see it differently or something.

I suppose I can start to just completely ignore posts that I disagree with, because I cannot make myself agree with doom and gloom, I don't see it!

Just a quick peek in from work... :F_05BL17blowkiss: to all...love you guys!

Kim

Ok, for a little funny, I just clicked on a link that popped up in my email - something which I've never done until now - for concert tickets from a place called "Superstar Tickets . com". This is the blurb for Clay:

Clay Aiken is an award-winning musician. He was found to be a popular American favorite when he auditioned and made it all the way to the final two people on American Idol, a television show where the fans vote for the winner. Although Clay Aiken was not the winner of that show, he still has a lot of fans that know how much of a good singer he really is. Clay Aiken tickets are some of the hottest selling tickets around. If you want good Clay Aiken tickets, you can find them in many places.

Clay Aiken has made a lot of music since his days on American Idol. Clay Aiken has been said to sound a lot like Barry Manilow, which is a large compliment to Clay. What is often thought of as surprising is that Clay Aiken has fans that are all ages, which is said to be interesting in the music industry. Clay Aiken tickets sell to all ages, as well.

Clay Aiken is here to stay. He has a voice that is well loved, and is also sure to be a popular favorite for all of his fans. Even celebrities like Kathy Griffin have proclaimed their love for Clay Aiken, which many of his fans have said have brought them closer to him. Getting great Clay Aiken tickets is the dream of many. With Clay Aiken tickets, you can get a great experience.

Clay Aiken is known to play all over the world. He does enjoy playing for concerts that are in the US, though, as this is where most of his fans are. Clay Aiken is known to go on tour from time to time. His faithful fans are sure to follow Clay Aiken anywhere he plays, as is shown with the sales of Clay Aiken concert tickets.

:cryingwlaughter: Not necessarily wrong, or right for that matter, but just... odd! Who on earth writes a promotional segway (tm Clay) like this?? :cryingwlaughter:

Wow, that young Australian's performance was awesome. Someone was speaking to the percussion part of his performance.( beating the hand on the body of the guitar) When I watched the movie August Rush, the percussion used in the guitar scenes was awesome. I couldn't wait to get home & download the songs from itunes. Good stuff!!

Ok, for a little funny, I just clicked on a link that popped up in my email - something which I've never done until now - for concert tickets from a place called "Superstar Tickets . com". This is the blurb for Clay:

I don't think I'd buy tickets from those folks. They sound a bit like the people from Nigeria who want you to help them with a little banking problem. :cryingwlaughter:

oooh, a visit from that famous controversial poster Akim! Maybe we should call her "green ink" Akim.

PM is a great way to communicate. when I have a difference with someone, it is usually easiest settled that way. It is one way to stay friends with people you disagree with and or you can discover the other person is nuts and not to bother arguing with them - like my FC people run ins.

Muski...do you really believe that anyone in this board does not know the reality that there are people that think negatively of Clay????

I hope you don't think that people who choose to be positive are simply being blind or in denial...

Speaking for myself...I see the weeds with the flowers...but is there any use to hate the weeds, be upset that they are there when I know that it is part of nature? So yeah I choose too acknowledge the flowers and to celebrate the beauty...and simply accept that weeds will naturally grow among the beauty.

I think we all know that everyone has different experiences...the problem is...when we extrapolate our experience and think its universal or that it has become a proven reality, that is when people start to try and disprove your point.. The problem I had with CG's post last night is the idea that most people...not just the people she knows...but in general...only knows the negative crap. I really think that is a view point that is not necessarily based on reality but a bit of an exaggeration based on limited experience or even a skewed view from a handful of reports on the net. I think when people come on and say that is not their experience...they are disputing the notion that her experience is universal. So if you don;t want to have your opinions disputed...don;t claim to know more about general reality than others...stick to your experience.

Muski - YOU ROCK!!!!! Honestly. You do! You are my newest hero...uhhhh, heroine. I loved every damn word of your post - capitalized or not!!! I try to be positive, I hatesss the negative, but I am a realist. And all is not peachy keen in the aura surrounding Clay Aiken. That's just a fact. If someone is lucky enough to live somewhere or be in an environment where people don't know or don't care - hallelujah for you! Or if you can ignore everything and tiptop through the tulips - hallelujah again. Unfortunately that is not my life!

Looking at that picture of Ruben and his wedding party and reading about how beautiful the ceremony was, etc. I want that for Clay. I really do. I want it. The hell with platonic baby-making and all that stuff. I so want him to have that storybook wedding. If he would just ask me I would be glad to tell him! :whistling-1:

And Clay Aiken does NOT sound alot like Barry Manilow. He sounds BETTER than Barry Manilow ever did in life or his dreams!!!! Even Barry has acknowledged that fact!!! Other than that - that was a nice blurb.

In the SF Bay Area there is a great jazz radio station - KKSF 103.7. Every year they put out a CD with various artists called Sampler for AIDS Relief. Many years ago one of the artists on the annual sampler was Tommy Emmanuel. He played En Aranguez Con tu Amor - which is one of the most stunningly beautiful guitar pieces I have ever heard in my life! I looked for more music from him, found out he was Australian, and could not find anything here in the states. I haven't looked in quite awhile but just may give Amazon a hit. If you EVER have a chance to hear this piece....you'll love it!

Well there are ways to deal with all the crap out there...there is outright denial...there is acknowledgment of the crap...there is wallowing until it is all you can see....

I just believe it is a personal choice how you deal with it and what importance you give to it... There is no one right way to be.

I just believe it is a personal choice how you deal with it and what importance you give to it... There is no one right way to be.

Geez, I was going to write a long, pithy tome about all this...and then she says what I think in one sentence.

I know the crap is out there. I've had people ask me about it. As soon as we are finished talking about it...it's pretty much out of my head. And that's my choice. I simply can't give it all that much importance. Frankly, I do almost the same thing when someone talks to me about Clay's UNICEF work that they read about, or his Broadway appearance too. The only exception there is that I MIGHT bring that instance to the board as a "cool thing" -- because it's nice to read those kinds of things.

IMO, that's not saying that if someone brings a conversation about Clay that isn't entirely positive here to FCA, that we're going to go "la la, I can't hear you." I really think we as a board will try our best to offer support in that regard.

I also believe that Ansa's last statement is very true, and I really didn't get that vibe from any post I've read in the past 24 hours, on either side of the coin. I sensed frustration...but I think that's rather natural.

Yeah that's all I was trying to say. As a member of the internet fandom of course I know about every little thing said about Clay. There's no way to hide from any of it even if you wanted to. My experiences and my observation just has me filtering it all differently. I'm not attempting to tell others what their experiences are. And maybe my interpretation of the rest is way off too. I just don't think the rest of the world hears it all, nor do they hear each thing 20 times, nor are they invested enough to attach the same emotional significance. And that's backed up by how my friends and family and even perfect strangers have interacted with me about Clay.

I was trying to work on this other point about Clay's "celebrity" which is not even close to being top tier but I don't have time to complete the thought. Will try to pull it together later.

ETA: I have an aunt that believe he's gay. I have never been angry at her for this assumption. I have never attempted to change her mind. She isn't a fan of Clay and would not buy his albums. Why should I care what she thinks...and really she thinks he's gay. That's a whatever thing for me. If that's tiptoing through the tulips then so be it. That's how I choose to live my life. And maybe because I don't give any sort of reaction they don't bring it into my face. To me that is rendering it to the level of unimportance that it deserves.

Clay Aiken is an award-winning musician. He was found to be a popular American favorite when he auditioned and made it all the way to the final two people on American Idol, a television show where the fans vote for the winner. Although Clay Aiken was not the winner of that show, he still has a lot of fans that know how much of a good singer he really is. Clay Aiken tickets are some of the hottest selling tickets around. If you want good Clay Aiken tickets, you can find them in many places.

Clay Aiken has made a lot of music since his days on American Idol. Clay Aiken has been said to sound a lot like Barry Manilow, which is a large compliment to Clay. What is often thought of as surprising is that Clay Aiken has fans that are all ages, which is said to be interesting in the music industry. Clay Aiken tickets sell to all ages, as well.

Clay Aiken is here to stay. He has a voice that is well loved, and is also sure to be a popular favorite for all of his fans. Even celebrities like Kathy Griffin have proclaimed their love for Clay Aiken, which many of his fans have said have brought them closer to him. Getting great Clay Aiken tickets is the dream of many. With Clay Aiken tickets, you can get a great experience.

Clay Aiken is known to play all over the world. He does enjoy playing for concerts that are in the US, though, as this is where most of his fans are. Clay Aiken is known to go on tour from time to time. His faithful fans are sure to follow Clay Aiken anywhere he plays, as is shown with the sales of Clay Aiken concert tickets.

:cryingwlaughter: Not necessarily wrong, or right for that matter, but just... odd! Who on earth writes a promotional segway (tm Clay) like this?? :cryingwlaughter:

anna... my first impression of this blurb... not written by an "English is their first language" person. Mayber third language. :cryingwlaughter:

ansa... very wise.

There are glass half full's and glass half empty's. Guess what... the water is at the same level and both are right from their viewpoint. Frustration about each other's point of view just raises blood pressure... feelings belong to the person having them and only that person can change them. Can I type any more cliches in one paragraph??? :cryingwlaughter:

Love this guy and all that he is!!!

125798311_B3cWG-L.jpg

ETA: When I get down about Clay, I watch LI JNT06. His determination and the courage he displayed that night make me believe once again that he will be just fine in the end.

I KNEW I had this little guy somewhere....

claynadian.gif

Happy Canada Day.......(I've always wanted a Canadian to adopt me - I LOVE your country!)

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE banner!

Time for pretty pictures?

GMAfunnyface.jpg

Will you look at those green eyes? And that's what Clay looks like without mascara.....can't hardly see he has any eyelashes at all. Pity!

WIDTL - "it's almost too perfect" - "or you're gonna be the death of me!" great lyrics!!! The glory note on "one too many tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimes" is classic Clay! Not one of my favorites on the CD - I think it's a tiny bit boring, but his vocals are really, really good! I think it's a "Clay Aiken" song. Oh - also love the way he says "what!" It sounds like whuuuuuuuuut! He says it that way on a few other songs as well.

oooh, a visit from that famous controversial poster Akim! Maybe we should call her "green ink" Akim.

PM is a great way to communicate. when I have a difference with someone, it is usually easiest settled that way. It is one way to stay friends with people you disagree with and or you can discover the other person is nuts and not to bother arguing with them - like my FC people run ins.

I'm not sure what you are getting at, but my post this morning was not directed at you or anyone on this board.

I think I am entitled to my opinion as anyone else on this board and if you disagree with me, fine disagree with me...its called having a discussion.

And PM's work both ways; I don't appreciate being called out on the board...and yeah, one of the reasons I am here is because I was getting tired of getting green-inked elsewhere and it is nice to come to a place where I can be myself, warts and all.

Sorry if my bluntness bothers you, but that is the way I am and if something is happening on the boards that I feel strongly about, I am going to say something.

Kim

:whistling-1:

eyelashes-1.jpg

I'm just going to keep posting pretty pictures until everyone takes a deeeeeep breath.

I did venture elsewhere a little while ago and saw where someone got green-inked.....I'll bet that's what Play was referring to (won't put words in her mouth) and not what was posted here.......

smugmug.jpg

Muski - YOU ROCK!!!!! Honestly. You do! You are my newest hero...uhhhh, heroine. I loved every damn word of your post - capitalized or not!!! I try to be positive, I hatesss the negative, but I am a realist. And all is not peachy keen in the aura surrounding Clay Aiken. That's just a fact. If someone is lucky enough to live somewhere or be in an environment where people don't know or don't care - hallelujah for you! Or if you can ignore everything and tiptop through the tulips - hallelujah again. Unfortunately that is not my life!

Looking at that picture of Ruben and his wedding party and reading about how beautiful the ceremony was, etc. I want that for Clay. I really do. I want it. The hell with platonic baby-making and all that stuff. I so want him to have that storybook wedding. If he would just ask me I would be glad to tell him! :whistling-1:

And Clay Aiken does NOT sound alot like Barry Manilow. He sounds BETTER than Barry Manilow ever did in life or his dreams!!!! Even Barry has acknowledged that fact!!! Other than that - that was a nice blurb.

In the SF Bay Area there is a great jazz radio station - KKSF 103.7. Every year they put out a CD with various artists called Sampler for AIDS Relief. Many years ago one of the artists on the annual sampler was Tommy Emmanuel. He played En Aranguez Con tu Amor - which is one of the most stunningly beautiful guitar pieces I have ever heard in my life! I looked for more music from him, found out he was Australian, and could not find anything here in the states. I haven't looked in quite awhile but just may give Amazon a hit. If you EVER have a chance to hear this piece....you'll love it!

Iseeme I feel exactly like you about the storybook wedding. When I read the article and saw the pics of Ruben's wedding, I felt so sad. Not sad for Ruben and his bride as I am very happy for them, but sad for Clay (and me) because it wasn't Clay. Perhaps Clay really doesn't want that storybook wedding but I do believe a good number of his fans were waiting for that big day for him.

I think this is how many pictured it happening for Clay. I think it was so sweet and romantic how Ruben pursued her out the door at the CD signing. I can't imagine Clay ever doing that but then again, I often felt that Ruben was much more confident and comfortable approaching women than Clay was/is.

IIT and I am one who believes it is, maybe Clay has given up on thinking he can find his true love/soul mate with an age-appropriate pretty young woman. Maybe it's enough for him to share parenthood in a platonic relationship with an older woman. Maybe he admires someone like Jaymes who is older, wiser, more mature and more importantly, maybe he feels he can trust her more. Again, my comments are based on the story if true with the details as reported. Only time will tell I suppose.

Having said the above, IIT, I mourn the loss of that storybook wedding scenario. I just can't imagine if he is going to settle into a platonic relationship how that will affect his chance of finding a romantic partner. Of course, it is possible that he and Jaymes are involved and have been a couple under the radar. I do have a difficult understanding though if that's the case, his flirting with Hannah and the butt pinch she gave him. She (Hannah) must have been under the assumption that he was "available" and thus, was comfortable enough to do so.

Aikim, I could be wrong, but I didn't read the second part of play's post as directed at you. I think the first part was friendly joking about green ink as others have done. I'm pretty sure she's going to come along and say exactly this when she reads your post.

Sorry, Akim, yes, I was just making a poor attempt at teasing you for the green stuff. Now I have to go see what the rest was about, it was definitely not aimed at you. Guess I should have used ------------ to separate it.

like this

------------------------------------------------

1 1/2 hours at the dentist and my new cap is still screwed up. Sheesh, I was so much healtier before I saw him. I think it is time to find a new dentist again.

ETA - the second half was a comment about Muski saying she was going to take it to PM.