#36: It ain't my life, just my passion!

ldyjocelyn

New Thread Title Poll  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like our next thread title to be?

• Whatta man, whatta man, whatta mighty good man...
    • And the biggest protection of all will be love
    • Tell me another person that's ever gone through the Idol mill with such gifts.
    • Clay is the master lemonade maker
    • If you don't get Clay, no explanation is possible, and if you do, no explanation is necessary.
    • And--just on general principles--I love Clay.
    • muchos gracias to a globe-trotting, lazy-ass, dog-loving, soft-rocking dude!
    • Very nice to look at...this very well put together firecracker.
    • the class clown got to be the star
    • Whenever he's ready, I'm ready for whatever he's ready for.
    • FCA - An anarco-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync nomadic omnivores
    • when the sweetsingerman finds a style he likes he buys a dozen!!!!

and to me, you guys seem a bit ruffled, too---just from the other side of the fence.

Heeee......not ruffled at all - and I honestly don't see a fence, either. I am not all that interested in Clay fan factions any more. A self-proclaimed downer post just invites conversation, as is usual and expected.

Most of my friends and family just think it odd that I spend so much time on a pop singer - and while they sometimes mention a rumor, they mention the Unicef stuff just as often.

And Kelly and Daughtry and Carrie are just names to them, I don't know anybody who even thinks it would be normal to talk about them.

Anyway, those three are examples of people who are single-threaded. Knowing their name because their music is played non-stop did not make them in the least bit interesting. And Clay himself has said his music is the means to what he wants to to with his life, it is not his life. Plus there is nothing like a Clay mention to pump up hits.

Daughtry is good in a genre that buys CDs, so is Carrie. I find it kinda interesting that Kelly looks like she will now go to country - I think she is chasing Carrie money (so is Jessica Simpson, IMO), but don't really care. I find it funny that Kelly can announce she walks around nude, has had nip-slips on a couple of red carpets, and used to be featured in a few commercials - vitamin water was one of them, actually, now Carrie has that one - and now she really is only known for making a not as good as the last one CD, or having to cancel her last tour due to poor ticket sales, if she is noted for anything.

The media thrives on interesting people. Clay is interesting. Carrie, Daughtry, and Kelly are not interesting. If people want Clay to only be known for his last CD, then I think they are doomed to disappointment, is all. He evidently has not chosen to concentrate on that one road. And the music Clay likes to sing is not as commercial. So be it.

Don't think anyone but Clay fans look at the streaming and think Oh, that must be a small but determined group of fans. I do think that perhaps, whoever is streaming, the streaming thing started because a small but determined group of fans wants to direct Clay's career and was streaming the shit out of Ashes in order to "prove" that Ashes was more popular than OMWH. And I have seen surprise expressed in some fan backwaters that OMWH is streamed more often than Ashes - how could it! When we like it better!!! (I think Ashes has a non-radio-friendly beginning, myself - just because someone's kids like it better when they are induced to listen to it does not mean it is necessarily radio-friendly). Of course, I have never seen much difference in something being visible because the fans want it as opposed to the label paying money for it, so what do I know. The label paying money seems a bit more suspect to me.

Claygasm's post would only ruffle me if it had been written by, say, an eHP member - and even then it would not affect the cheeriness I feel about Clay and his career. Disagreement is not the same as being ruffled, at all.

No fences here that I can see, unless it is one that encloses everybody. Just because someone feels they need to climb over it (or build one) doesn't mean there is any need to take "sides" - that sort of thing is completely manufactured and individual, IMO. Hell, I didn't know we were divided enough so that some of us could be referred to as "you guys"! :-)

if it had been written by, say, an eHP member - and even then it would not affect the cheeriness I feel about Clay and his career. Disagreement is not the same as being ruffled, at all.

No fences here that I can see, unless it is one that encloses everybody. Just because someone feels they need to climb over it (or build one) doesn't mean there is any need to take "sides" - that sort of thing is completely manufactured and individual, IMO

Hee!!! *Plans to make a completely down, the-whole-world-is-out-to-annoy-me post just to tease djs111 -- and turn everyone else's head* :cryingwlaughter:

But not right now, the sun outside is too bright, I won't get any calls from the Toronto and Calgary contacts today, and then there's just 2 more days of work before a long weekend!!! Yay!!!

Happy Canada Day to all!!

204.jpg

I find it kinda interesting that Kelly looks like she will now go to country - I think she is chasing Carrie money (so is Jessica Simpson, IMO), but don't really care. I find it funny that Kelly can announce she walks around nude, has had nip-slips on a couple of red carpets, and used to be featured in a few commercials - vitamin water was one of them, actually, now Carrie has that one - and now she really is only known for making a not as good as the last one CD, or having to cancel her last tour due to poor ticket sales, if she is noted for anything.

Actually I am not at all surprised.

Long before American Idol, Kelly was a huge fan of Reba McIntyre. Winning AI gave her the opportunity to meet Reba and the two of them not only did brilliant duets together but became close friends, spending a lot of leisure time together; Reba's husband/manager is now Kelly's manager too. I actually didn't realise country music had such a massive following, I am really quite stunned at Carrie's success. I just don't think she is as versatile as Kelly and I prefer Kelly's voice.

ETA: Happy Canuck day to all Claynadians! (Thanks for the reminder Scarlett!!! )

I have always felt that comparing Clay to other Idols is like comparing apples and oranges...totally different career paths and definitions of success. Clay has always said that he did not get into this business for fame and fortune but to make a difference, and since he has done that, I would say he is successful.

The biggest problem in the fandom is that the career the fans want for Clay may not necessarily be the career Clay wants for himself and I think a lot of people have trouble accepting that. I think there is this sense of entitlement...we supported Clay after Idol, bought his CD's, attended his concerts; supported his charities, so now he needs to do something for us...sing the songs we want; put out the single we think is the best...in short...take our career advice and have the kind of career that we can be proud of and brag about and prove to people that we were right all along and that Clay should have won.

But Clay; how dare he, has other ideas and doesn't want to be stuffed in the "pop singer" box and that doesn't sit well with some because they know better...even though they don't know crap about the music industry, haven't sat in on any meeting with Clay, RCA, etc.; and because it really is all about them and their needs and wants.

I have a real problem with that kind of self-centeredness in the fandom...I think we all have a choice, either accept Clay for who he is, what he stands for and his life choices or move on..never have seen the point in bitching about something you have no control over.

I have no worries regarding Clay or his career, because he is a smart, madly talented man; knows what he wants and how to go about getting it and is open to any and all opportunities that come his way...he will be around long after the Kelly's, Carrie's and Daughtry's of the world have left the stage.

Kim

Actually I am not at all surprised.

Long before American Idol, Kelly was a huge fan of Reba McIntyre. Winning AI gave her the opportunity to meet Reba and the two of them not only did brilliant duets together but became close friends, spending a lot of leisure time together; Reba's husband/manager is now Kelly's manager too. I actually didn't realise country music had such a massive following, I am really quite stunned at Carrie's success. I just don't think she is as versatile as Kelly and I prefer Kelly's voice.

I was not comparing voices at all, Kelly does have a great voice. As we can see as Clay fans, sometimes the great voice does not matter all that much. Carrie still seems sorta wooden in appearances. But Carrie has the quintessential country music look and voice - I was not surprised at all. Also don't think versatility counts much in country music.

It will be interesting to see how well kelly and Jessica Simpson do.

The year Carrie won Idol, someone asked Kelly how she felt about that, implying there might be a rivalry or something, and Kelly replied along the lines of Carrie was country, different niche than she (Kelly) was in, Kelly hoped Carrie made a lot of money. I just thought it interesting that Kelly is changing niches, is all. I don't ever think about Kelly unless someone on a board mentions her, so I was surprised by the news.

Clay still has four spots on the AOL Top 11 Video Countdown today - Nos. 1, 2, 5 and 7 -- and all 12 songs on OMWH are in the Top 24 of Most Played Songs and Clay still has No. 1 and No. 2.

Mediabase has him at #28 with a Spincrease of +8 and a weekly total of 125 spins and an audience impression of 0.345. I noticed that most of the spins heretofore have been overnights but spins are seeping into a.m. - midday - p.m. and evening -- little by little. Also, WRAL in Raleigh had been decreasing spins for over a week and today they show an increase of +3 so at least that's moving back in the right direction.

Just had to add that my experiences with friends and aquaintences who know of my Clay fandom make typically only neutral or positive comments. My neice who used to be hostile about Clay soon after AI2 ('he shouldn't be getting all the attention because Ruben won' variety) was very complimentary about him when we last talked a few weeks ago, pointing out how much charity work he does. She was very curious about the baby thing but not judgemental. She thinks he is a great guy. Her perceptions of him have changed, and in the positive direction, over the years. I think his charity work has influenced this middle twenties graduate student.

Remember those Baltimore station guys interviewing Clay for the OMWH promotion spots he was doing? Their respect for him was very evident. I would expect that they heard the jokes and other stuff but regardless they seemed genuinely impressed with Clay and his accomplishments.

WINY I really disliked the Leo Sayer version. His winy is whiny, IMO. And when I heard Clay talk about it as a possible song for MOAM, I thought, NO! But he blew me away with his acoustic version in the IT. It was this song and FOG that caused an epiphany about who Clay was as an artist early in my fandom. it ratcheted it up to another level. I wanted more of that side of Clay. (Does anyone recall that jacob was instrumental in getting him to sing FOG? i will be ever thankful to him for that.)

The version of the QVC bonus was a bit underwhelming for me compared to my memories (and download) of the original. But I am still pleased to have it and need to re-listen.

couchie, you earned an F in accessing bonus material, I am right behind you at D-. Haven't looked at the videos or listened to other songs on QVC bonus and haven't downloaded my music pass stuff. Still stuck on that pretty picture.

cagney said:

couchie, you earned an F in accessing bonus material, I am right behind you at D-. Haven't looked at the videos or listened to other songs on QVC bonus and haven't downloaded my music pass stuff. Still stuck on that pretty picture

Add me to that list.

Something O/T really upset me yesterday but I couldn't comment as my eyes were still dilated when I wen to bed. They are still slightly irritated today but after I'm back from the gym I'll post my rant in the political thread.

I'm quite happy with Clay so no rant there. I just hope OMWH gets a lot more play.

For the nature lovers......just went out on the deck to water some plants and saw a Mama Doe with her newborn twins. They were still a bit spindly on their legs and had the white spots on their backs. Probably only a couple days old. Verra cute. Wish I could get pictures of them but when I came back in to get my camera - she got spooked and took off.

Now I'm jellus!!!

:)

Ruben Studdard, Former American Idol Winner, Weds

He straightens out the rumor of 20 groomsmen. Can you imagine? The media didn't check their facts! How unusual! :lmaosmiley-1:

ETA:

Awww! He said, "No Ma'am" to the interviewer!

Read the 2 1/2 pages posted since I was here last, had comments to make, but I'm so sleepy I immediately forgot them.

Do have to ask - why would it have made a difference if an eHP'er posted what Claygasm posted? I didn't understand that comment!!!

I do think CG brought up some interesting topics for discussion. We've all had some Clay experiences with friends and family - some were not so good, others were okay. I will parrot something someone else said - WHY WHY WHY do some people feel the need to crap all over you when you like someone they don't! That never fails to amaze me. (which is why the lady in the beauty salon almost ate her teeth!)

I think for the duration of Clay's career - and hopefully it's verra verra VERRA long - he will be a controversial figure. It's too engrained in the media now. And his vow of silence about his private life will just open him up to constant scrutiny and made-up stories for lack of real stories. However, along the way he will continue to impress knowledgeable and successful people in the business. As he works with them - they, too, will become devoted and loyal fans. Eventually the small-minded "what have you done I can write about lately" media-types will find someone else to harass and Clay will only be a blip on the radar occasionally.

Kelly - always thought she'd end up in the Country genre. Her friendship/management with the Reba family kind of put a stamp on that one. But I've said from the ending of AI1 that she's going to blow her voice out if she doesn't learn to sing differently. Her screeching is painful to listen to and can't be good for her vocal cords.

Daughtry - someone said he's successful in his niche! Yup. And certain niches don't stick around forever. His voice is unremarkable in my mind. I think David Cook is a better rocker and more versatile. Hopefully David will get the songs!!!! But I don't see Daughtry doing anything else in the field but rocking!!!!

Carrie - is SOOO perfect for country. Beautiful woman. Really, truly beautiful IMO. Ordinary country voice! She'll continue to be successful in country and will do ads and commercials. But I'd rather watch paint dry than listen to an interview from her.

The rest of the Idols - Ruben, Fantasia (sorry Couchie) Jennifer Hudson (good actress....we'll see about her CD) etc. etc. are just not on MY radar. I think they probably all have a place in the entertainment world but I still don't think they're as versatile as Clay has proven to be!!!! Operative word there - PROVEN.

OH - good morning! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

ETA: What a really, really nice interview with Ruben and his new wife. Thanks for bringing that over here.

While I understand people have had different experiences I am more determined than ever to not focus on the lowest common denominator of trashy tabloids and gossip or let my joy be snatched away by them. This obsessive need to see anything with Clay's name in it, no matter how trivial, just in my mind reinforces this notion that there is a constant pile on when it comes to Clay. Is there something in our brain that focuses more on these items and dismisses the good mentions? I am fortunate that the people in my life like Clay and when they talk to me about him they do so respectfully or inquiringly, but never rudely, never to degrade him or make me feel bad. If I'm living in some kind of bubble then Yay. I like it in here. Maybe we can move the party over here.

<snip>the longer this goes on the more I am sending every good thought and vibe I can muster Clay's way. I hope it all works out the way he envisioned it IIT and that the privacy he has learned to cultivate for himself, the hard way, will be used to protect the wee one. IIT. hee. And the biggest protection of all will be love; that will trump any tabloid rag. All disclaimers apply.

Hey, you're not the only one living in that bubble, y'know! Couldya squinch on over a little??

...and the good thoughts? Yah, me too. I include Jaymes in that as well. I think about her daily and wonder how she is doing....but that doesn't include a need to KNOW.

Smokin' Joe Robinson, the 16 year old winner of Australia's Got Talent 2008.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rdGrzyIxiHA

Wow!! Awesome! Thanks for bringing that over!

Tijala, thank you SO much for that picture!! I lost a computer to a power surge about 2 years ago, and with it all my older pictures, so I'm very pleased to once again have a picture of this one!!

After some thought I'm just going to keep on believing that my experiences are the norm, cuz it's all about me :cryingwlaughter: I don't believe that everybody only hears weird stories about Clay and they don't hear about Unicef, or Spamalot, his voice, his charity, or that he's singing for presidents, is one of Idols more successful alums, or any other number of fluff items out there about Clay in People. I don't believe that Clay's own appearances don't make people smile or laugh or that they remember footgate but have forgotten the water cooler AI5 moment. Hell, I don't even understand why silly little incidents like footgate have been elevated to weird status or odd or notorious or that people keep them in their brain 3 years later. They were minor little things that he answered with flair. And things like Sewell, I bet most non fans wouldn't know what you were talking about if you handed them a happy meal and pantomined him snatching a big check.

While I understand people have had different experiences I am more determined than ever to not focus on the lowest common denominator of trashy tabloids and gossip or let my joy be snatched away by them. This obsessive need to see anything with Clay's name in it, no matter how trivial, just in my mind reinforces this notion that there is a constant pile on when it comes to Clay. Is there something in our brain that focuses more on these items and dismisses the good mentions? I am fortunate that the people in my life like Clay and when they talk to me about him they do so respectfully or inquiringly, but never rudely, never to degrade him or make me feel bad. If I'm living in some kind of bubble then Yay. I like it in here. Maybe we can move the party over here.

As for Clay's career? He has one. Still. In a world when the average career lasts a minute, it's five years later and he's still here. I have a beautiful album done the way he wanted it done and if he doesn't sell another, it will still be a great album. I have several other Clay albums to love and I have hundreds of songs thanks to the fact that the man likes to go on the road. And guess what, I just feel confident that no matter what happens Clay will be here 5 years from now. Maybe he won't be doing commercials or selling out arenas but do YOU need that to enjoy what he does give YOU.

Ah, couchie, thank you. You have written my post for me!!

and to me, you guys seem a bit ruffled, too---just from the other side of the fence.

Heeee......not ruffled at all - and I honestly don't see a fence, either. I am not all that interested in Clay fan factions any more. A self-proclaimed downer post just invites conversation, as is usual and expected.

<snip>

Disagreement is not the same as being ruffled, at all.

Not ruffled either. After muskifest's post, I will admit that I am annoyed, though. My post that was singled out was a short paragraph expressing sympathy but stating that my experience is different; the response was a tome. What's up with that? Look, there's nothing WRONG with either of you, but what's with all the CAPITALIZATION FOR EMPHASIS? It comes off as angry. There are certain posts that are designed to stir up controversy, that state unpopular or controversial opinions, and are written with a lot of emotion. If you post a post like that, you have to expect the responses you're going to get. I thought kf and I were very gentle, and did not deserve a dressing down.

The biggest problem in the fandom is that the career the fans want for Clay may not necessarily be the career Clay wants for himself and I think a lot of people have trouble accepting that. I think there is this sense of entitlement...we supported Clay after Idol, bought his CD's, attended his concerts; supported his charities, so now he needs to do something for us...sing the songs we want; put out the single we think is the best...in short...take our career advice and have the kind of career that we can be proud of and brag about and prove to people that we were right all along and that Clay should have won.

But Clay; how dare he, has other ideas and doesn't want to be stuffed in the "pop singer" box and that doesn't sit well with some because they know better...even though they don't know crap about the music industry, haven't sat in on any meeting with Clay, RCA, etc.; and because it really is all about them and their needs and wants.

I have a real problem with that kind of self-centeredness in the fandom...I think we all have a choice, either accept Clay for who he is, what he stands for and his life choices or move on..never have seen the point in bitching about something you have no control over.

:word: Well said. And I would add to this, that if we can't keep up a positive attitude without Clay's continual presence, that isn't Clay's problem, that's ours. If the fandom goes into downer mode every time he takes a break, that's the fans' problem, not his. Fortunately, that's not FCA's way, and I like it like that.

And just because I haven't used this one yet, :013085001176249046:

From the link posted above, here's a really nice picture of Ruben's wedding party.

Clay still has four spots on the AOL Top 11 Video Countdown today - Nos. 1, 2, 5 and 7 -- and all 12 songs on OMWH are in the Top 24 of Most Played Songs and Clay still has No. 1 and No. 2.

Mediabase has him at #28 with a Spincrease of +8 and a weekly total of 125 spins and an audience impression of 0.345. I noticed that most of the spins heretofore have been overnights but spins are seeping into a.m. - midday - p.m. and evening -- little by little. Also, WRAL in Raleigh had been decreasing spins for over a week and today they show an increase of +3 so at least that's moving back in the right direction.

I think it can! I think it can!! I think it can!!! :cheerleader:

Very nice interview with Ruben & Zuri. Love. :wub:

Michelle Obama is on the View today.

She is really a pretty lady.

I didn't realize she is 5' 11"!!

Whoa!

Thank goodness I won't be standing next to her!

:cryingwlaughter:

So how tall is Barack?!

ETA:

I wonder how many "Jeromes" there are hanging around the View Studio today??!!!!

I'm sure the security is major!

happy_canada_day.gif

For all of our Claynadian friends!

FYI The View is on repeat this week, so no one is hanging around the studio.

I am really happy that people are doing what they want about Clay. I went off to the MySpace mutt board yesterday to post and invite some people to be my friends and hope they drop by and listen to OMWH. Read an interesting post agbout aggressive dogs from shelters and ways to retrain them to be more sociable, so it is actually good for me to be posting and reading there. I might actually make real friends there, Who knew this little project might be useful? I need to copy my sign on and password so I can sign on at the beach. It is a good thing I have two computers though because some things don't work on the laptop and still function just fine on my old old desk top and vice versa. I can never seem to get the things to work everywhere - something about cookies. I am so sad it is so hard to control cookies now that I have left netscape - the old version ws just so friendly in letting me change the cookie options in the moment, the others actually take work to find and correct the options, I can't just say - change on this screen da da da as I am working along, you need cookies, Ok I click on cookie status where I am given severl choices for the site I am on, I give you cookies, but I will get rid of them immediately after I leave - no, now I have to go to options look through all the different web sites I have ever been to, delete the one I am on and all the ones that look like subsequent ones and then reset it after I refresh the screen.

I don't even try to pretend the future for Clay, I do believe some of the mud is why we don't see Clay in US commercials, advertising is so foolishly over sensitive, we will see what happens, I prefer to wait than to go imagine every single friendship Clay has will be the turning point. Life doesn't work like that , it is slower, more plodding. What ever happens, we will know about the turning point way after it is changed.

Can anyone tell me, I forgot, can you change the order that blogs appear in on the list on the top of google, by clicking and viewing them or do you have to click an advertiser or leave a comment?

I was catching up with Karen Eh?'s blog yesterday, what a great writer.

Happy Canada day to all our Canadian friends.

Off to slather on sunscreen and walk the dog before the serious teeth cleaning before I see the dentist.

ETA - my favorite Ruben quote from the interview Was about when he saw her enter the church - so beautiful.

Got my Music Pass today, only persn with a noticable amout missing was Alicia Keyes and some guy I never heard of and with such a strange name, I dcould not figure out what he did - no picture for that guy either, but lots of Musicpass sales.

QUOTE(Tijala @ Jul 1 2008, 01:51 AM) *

Favorite phrase sung by Clay...I'm Not Supposed to Love You Anymore...But I can't hide this hurt inside my broken heart... Just KILLS me. I'm hopelessly in love with Clay's pre-AI stuff.

Right.. Clay's performance of Still The One at The Hometown Connection 1999. Seeing him sing it, that voice, that presence, that skinny bean pole of a man in his performance suit which is way to big for him, seeing his obvious total enjoyment in performing and then hearing the enthusiastic response of the audience. Love it.

Glad you liked Joe Robinson! I will post the Grand Finale performance when it is posted on YouTube. (I love the way he throws in a bit of percussion!)

claytonic Thanks for posting the video. Again...another accomplished musician I would not have heard about otherwise.

aikim I think we all have a choice, either accept Clay for who he is, what he stands for and his life choices or move on..never have seen the point in bitching about something you have no control over.

Exactly...tho I have done my small share of bitching about various hair styles. Probably will again.

Well yesterday ended our fiscal year and thus my time is not my own for the next month.

I think at the core of it all, we all just want Clay to have the respect he deserves and I think the only thing that separates us all is how we each process things. It hurts to see him used as punching bag but you know it's just the way our society is now. Apparantly people enjoy that type of thing, or enough to make it profitable. But it's not the entire world and I still don't see his situation as so dire. Not the man who could walk into a well established Broadway show and more than hold his own. Not the man who continues to go about living his life, seeing friends, and trying to make a difference. He has such a dignity about him and that will see him through as well as his talent. I'm not of the mind that Clay has chosen the wrong way to handle the slings and arrows. There's a reason he and others have chosen this path. Maybe it's a hard row to hoe, as that old saying goes, but I have a feeling that the alternative road would not sit well with him nor make those not inclined to right now, see him any differently.

BWAH - no Cotton..see line number one...plus the fact that I have to once again remove a layer of dust from my office.

YAAAY!!

yaysmiles.gif

CELEBRATORY DRINKS are in order!!!

baileys.jpg

ok - maybe too early for that........

how about THIS???

latte.jpg

We got the brakes sorted out this morning..... and the TIRES ARRIVED!!

I am off to the shop to get them mounted (heee, I said mounted) on the wheels!!!

(and get a haircut while it's getting done :D)

The sewing machine arrived yesterday, so now I am waiting for the thread. If the thread comes today, I can get started on the seat covers. (really looking forward to that!!) Oh! And if you get the impression that we always wait till the last minute to get things done.... ummmm .... you might be right!!!!

HappyCanadaDayGIF1.gif

clay content:

teeth-comparison1.jpg

Smokin' Joe Robinson, the 16 year old winner of Australia's Got Talent 2008.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rdGrzyIxiHA

He's an unbelievable acoustic guitarist... whether or not you play a musical instrument, I'd be surprised if you are not amazed at the skill and talent of this young guy.

He was my pick as the winner, I just couldn't see anyone else with any hope in beating him. (His performance at the Grand Finale was even better, but that hasn't been uploaded on YouTube yet as it was only screened in the last half hour.)

ETA In case the judges faces look vaguely familiar, they are:

Tom Burlinson - who played the lead in the movie The Man From Snowy River.

Dannii Minogue - Kylie's little sister... who as a regular on a children's talent show, was more famous than Kylie at that time*, more than 25 years ago.

Red Symons - member of a successful 70s Australian band called Skyhooks.

EATA: * I mentioned this for a reason ... the power of television. I am waiting for the day we hear that Clay has his own TV show, it's the ultimate classroom, and still more powerful than the internet in terms of reaching the scores of people who watch shows together and then discuss what they saw/heard at the watercooler etc

Here is the Grand Finale performance:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=K-witogjxjI

Thanks for sharing that. Talented kid indeed. I knew the song sounded familiar, and out of the depths of my memory came the name. I did some searching on YouTube, and this guy,

, an Australian, seems to be the inspiration for Smokin' Joe's version, right down to the use of the body of the guitar as a percussion instrument. This particular version of Emmanuel's has a couple of other songs interspersed, but there are many other versions on YouTube by him. "Classical Gas" was hugely popular back in the day; it was written by Mason Williams. I remember my brother trying to learn it. He did better with Green Onions. :cryingwlaughter:

Here is a recreation of a Classical Gas video that was introduced on the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour. (Talk about the power of TV--even back then, the use of the music on TV made the song a huge seller.) The whole story of the video is on the uploader's comments so I won't repeat it all here.

I want Clay to have his own show too. It would be ideal in so many ways.

Can anyone tell me, I forgot, can you change the order that blogs appear in on the list on the top of google, by clicking and viewing them or do you have to click an advertiser or leave a comment?

I don't think anyone knows the complete answer to that. Google is understandably guarded about it, as they don't want people to know how to manipulate results. They change the "spider" formula frequently to prevent this. Coding is a factor--codes that are inserted into the blogs themseves. Hits are a factor. That's all I know.

I have always felt that comparing Clay to other Idols is like comparing apples and oranges...totally different career paths and definitions of success. Clay has always said that he did not get into this business for fame and fortune but to make a difference, and since he has done that, I would say he is successful.

I have no worries regarding Clay or his career, because he is a smart, madly talented man; knows what he wants and how to go about getting it and is open to any and all opportunities that come his way...he will be around long after the Kelly's, Carrie's and Daughtry's of the world have left the stage.

Kim

Thank you for expressing my thoughts better than I ever could have. Some of the sense of entitlement in this fandom is insane. The Clay owes MEEEEEEE! mentality...Clay will do what he thinks is best for his career and I trust him. He hasn't disappointed me in the least.

Tijala, thank you SO much for that picture!! I lost a computer to a power surge about 2 years ago, and with it all my older pictures, so I'm very pleased to once again have a picture of this one!!

FC, so sorry to hear you lost your pictures. I'll take a better picture of the quilt for you. At the time I didn't have a good place to put the quilt for the picture, but I do now. Hopefully in a day or two, I can get that for you.