#36: It ain't my life, just my passion!

ldyjocelyn

New Thread Title Poll  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like our next thread title to be?

• Whatta man, whatta man, whatta mighty good man...
    • And the biggest protection of all will be love
    • Tell me another person that's ever gone through the Idol mill with such gifts.
    • Clay is the master lemonade maker
    • If you don't get Clay, no explanation is possible, and if you do, no explanation is necessary.
    • And--just on general principles--I love Clay.
    • muchos gracias to a globe-trotting, lazy-ass, dog-loving, soft-rocking dude!
    • Very nice to look at...this very well put together firecracker.
    • the class clown got to be the star
    • Whenever he's ready, I'm ready for whatever he's ready for.
    • FCA - An anarco-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync nomadic omnivores
    • when the sweetsingerman finds a style he likes he buys a dozen!!!!

well i was planning to post but i got distracted by the purty pictures -- how come i never saw his feet in Frisco, I must have been within grabbing-no-smelling distance from them -- and then when i finally remembered what i was going to do, everything i wanted to say had already been posted. i want to add, though, that someday i want to see the world with jmh123.

can't wait to see you at kareneh's party, keepingfaith!! if you'll come early, maybe merrieeee'll let us use the hot tub.

back to the pretty pictures... thanks to all who bring them -- annabear, ldyjocelyn, muski, iseeme (gibby, where are you? i miss your photobucket account!)

Iseeme, congrats on your new job! :confetti-1: And IMO, cold-clocking the lady in the beauty parlor would not have been a loss of sanity... she was asking for it!

As for me... everything I want to say has already been said, and some things that have been said were things I didn't think of but I agree with. So I'll just say that I'm firmly strapped into and tightly hanging onto the handlebar of the roller coaster ride called Clay Aiken's Fandom, and I'm not even tempted to get off it and go on any of the not-so-fun rides or play the games designed to turn me against Clay rob me blind without even a flimsy little trinket to show for it. (Does that make sense?)

During the height of Idol 2 I was surrounded by Ruben supporters in my family. I came out of it totally devoted to the skinny white kid. My co-workers at the time witnessed my transformation. My mailman, who reads every peice of junk tabloid that comes down the pike chats with me about Clay and Idol all the time. I wear my Clay t shirts in the hood with no shame. And I have to say, I have faced no more than a giggle or two in the 5 years of my fandom, once from a snot nosed kid at Togos. I had one co-worker I had to kinda put in his place...and I did it gently. Other than that? Nada.

I've had a lot of good experiences from people here and there. Some funny experiences...the perplexed look of a luggage checker at the airport as he looked at my People's Republic of Clay shirt, not quite getting it. Two firemen in the grocery store spying my t-shirt and making small talk. Lady at farmer's market. I'm not saying that it's all good out there but I do feel that knowing every bad word every uttered about Clay can't help but play with the psyche. Think the whole entire world is laughing. But it's really not. Sure they may see somthing here or there but they don't dwell on it, and stew on it, and ponder it. It goes in one ear and out the other and the good things about Clay reaches them at well. It balances out. It's hard to believe sometimes but it does. And I don't believe is just a celebrity, famous for doing nothing like Paris Hilton. Even his biggest critics will admit to the talent.

I'm here at home trying to work and I've been invaded by my sister and her family..and they are watching some ridiculous stupid movie called the Benchwarmers. I'm working working working and I hear Clay Aiken... and I hear them all laugh.... and my ears perk up. I missed it. Don't even know what they said. But I remember in the faraway recesses of my mind I remember that the clip has been deciphered to death on the Clay boards. When the movie is over..my family won't even remember it.

keepingfaith and jmh...Distress. Yep, CG sounds somewhat distressed and to me, you guys seem a bit ruffled, too---just from the other side of the fence. That Clay Aiken guy definitely rouses deep feelings of just about all descriptions. We ALL move around this life in different circles. In my particular world, I've found that the only time those outside of my online fandom mention Clay, it's to ask about the latest sound bite on an entertainment NEWS FLASH! or what People had on its cover about his being a daddy or "He's gay, isn't he?" I've NEVER been asked about his current music. I HAVE heard more than a few times, "Whatever happened to him? I never hear that he's singing anymore." or something to that effect. And that's usually the most 'favorable' thing I hear---that and that he has a really good voice (based on their memories of him five years ago on American Idol) Most people have no clue that he's toured so much or appeared on so many shows or has been churning out new music.

Unfortunately, when he IS on a teevee show, the 'reports' I get later, if I get them, usually are a criticism of his newest haircut or whether or not he looked heavy or not or..."Do you think he's gay?"

But ask them to name any of his CDs - even his multi-platinum debut album and I bet they would draw a blank.
I thought this was a good point.

If you know many people outside of the online fandom who CAN name Clay's cds, that makes me very happy. I don't. I honestly don't. I do have a few friends that aren't part of my online fan friend circle who might...but for the most part, no.

So although I can understand why you might see CG's post as pointing out the not-so-cheery possibilities, I'm not sure I can see why you seem so intent on calling her on HER experiences with people in HER real life . She's certainly not the only one who HAS those experiences (I'm one), so there's nothing WRONG with her or me.

As for people not knowing a Kelly or Daughtry or Carrie song? That's not my experience at all. I'm not sure I know of many people at all who don't know Kelly's name and I would imagine they'd know "Breakaway". They know she's a Grammy winner. Carrie's songs are even more known, IMO---and people know her from the fact that she keeps winning awards and keeps showing up on magazine covers. Daughtry's on pop, AC and rock radio stations (according to their playlists---and the fact that I hear him in lots of stores, demmit!)...

I'd be hard pressed to tell you a 'controversy' surrounding any of these "idols", though. I've heard that Daughtry's sorta sullen and Carrie's dated a couple of football players and Kelly had to cancel some concerts. But I know nothing really about their private lives that would cause a stir or be a reason for the Entertainment shows to tease their audiences for a full 30 minutes with the promise of the newest scandal surrounding Clay Aiken. Or have Newsweek and People and network news anchors bring up the possible news that he's 'impregnated a 50-year-old woman by artificial insemination or invitro', along with snickers, sneers, giggles and eyerolls.

So the point, I think, is that for the masses...Clay's celebrity---his name recognition might be higher than the others, but unfortunately, not as much for his incredible voice and charisma and entertainment factor and wit and intelligence, etc. as for the latest 'weird' thing about him that seems to warrant being in the 'news' more than his music does.

I will say that the shit back in 2006 from the swamp dwellers really did NOT pervade the 'average' person out there. That really was kept to online cesspools and the rags in the supermarket lines. Most people I know didn't know anything about that. But they know about Clay's foot on the lady's seat and his hand over Kelly's mouth and this latest 'quirky' thing about him...they don't know about his last two cds or tours but they know those things.

And therein ends my tome/rant/ :wordpooper:

Anybody know anything about the CUNY colleges in New York? Alex is looking at a couple of them....

Oh, when I got off the bus from wok and into my car this evening, it only took a half a block to realize I had a flat tire. Oh joy. I didn't feel like getting down on the road in my work clothes to change the damned tire so I called AAA---pretty fast service, too.

ETA: I do want to say that I don't have a gloom and despair outlook about Clay at all. I've always thought he was going to be like the tortoise in the race. He's mad talented and has all the things that can bring him success---however he chooses to define it. Whatever that turns out to be---whether it's superstardom or a steady stream of concerts and new music that don't fill arenas but keep on a happnin', then it's al good. He's going through the fires now...but those fires will one day be "ashes" and he'll still be there, IMO.

Hee-hee. Okay, just for shits and grins. A home work assignment! :whistling-1:

Over the next three or four days (say Tues-Fri) everyone ask the people you see on a daily basis. Co-workers, family, friends.

Ask them to name a song or two by....

Carrie, Kelly, Daughtry and Clay.

Then ask if they've heard any gossip about the same person and what it was.

If we are lucky....Clay will come out of hiding and we won't have to deal with whatever the results may be!

Otherwise....report back here, Friday evening/Saturday day and we can discuss! :wordpooper:

I'm heading off to bed here soon but did want to put in my 2 cents worth on the whole celebrity thing. Unfortunately, living in area with a lot of hicks, I do get my fair share of people saying nasty things about Clay, which I still don't understand because if you were to tell someone here that you were a fan of practically anyone else, they wouldn't feel the need to hit you over the head with rumors or nasty bits about them. However, I still feel that part of the reason he is such a target for the lowlifes and their followers is because he is a threat. Although I was too young to see the beginning careers of Elvis or the Beatles, everything that I have read seems to point to their being made fun of quite a bit also. Some people are very scared and intimidated by change, so in order to make themselves feel better, they need to try to tear down those representing that change. Thank God Clay is a strong man to put up with the crap and I think he will outlast those who try to bring him down. Carrie, Daughtry, and Kelly may be popular right now but I really don't consider them breakthrough artists because they offer nothing new. But Clay is different, just like Elvis was and the Beatles were and Sinatra was, and they are the ones that people remember. There's been thousands and thousands of singers and groups during that time span but I bet most people couldn't name more than a few dozen but they remember or have heard about those guys.

On an OT note, I started watching Nashville Star, and by the way, I am not impressed. However I thought the one guy Coffey looked familiar and tonite it hit me that he had been on Idol with Clay. He was the new daddy that didn't make it past Hollywood but I checked out Rewind, re-watching Clay's performances while I was at it, loved Superstar, and there was Coffey and they even did an interview with him with his cowboy hat on. The thing that gets me is that when I was trying to find something about him and AI online, there was no mention of his being on there. Not on the Nashville Star site or any of the other sites on the first page. Wasn't checking further than that cuz I really don't think he is that good and I didn't want to wade into it any further. And on that note, I'm heading to bed and hopefully having one of those Clay dreams that others have talked about. No such luck for me so far.

Night all. And congratulations Iseeme on your job.

I GOT THE JOB!!!! I'm soooo excited!!! I know this isn't earth-shattering news but I'm really pretty happy about it.

WINY - I like this song but every time I listen to it I think about Clay singing it in concert and hamming it up! I will say this though - it sounds better than the original recording.

Iseeme... whoo hoo!!! Congrats!!! Now, if we can use our FCA mojo to get a few more FCAers employed in jobs that pay well and they enjoy, we'll be all set for the next act in the play that is Clay Aiken's life and times!!! :cryingwlaughter:

I get the crap stuff from my family and the "how's Clay doing" from my friends and a bit of both from the world around me. The thing I get the most is the, "if it's in People magazine, it must be true." So, most in my world don't pay any attention to the rags and certainly don't get much from the internet.

Being an intense internet fan makes us prey to the most negative stuff out there, but I honestly believe that the vast majority don't know a fraction of it. I get the, "Isn't he gay?" stuff frequently, and that's the worst I get. So, that viral marketing sure has worked well! Dang it!

I still feel that part of the reason he is such a target for the lowlifes and their followers is because he is a threat. Although I was too young to see the beginning careers of Elvis or the Beatles, everything that I have read seems to point to their being made fun of quite a bit also. Some people are very scared and intimidated by change, so in order to make themselves feel better, they need to try to tear down those representing that change. Thank God Clay is a strong man to put up with the crap and I think he will outlast those who try to bring him down. Carrie, Daughtry, and Kelly may be popular right now but I really don't consider them breakthrough artists because they offer nothing new. But Clay is different, just like Elvis was and the Beatles were and Sinatra was, and they are the ones that people remember.

justclay...word, word, word!

JustClay - I really liked your post!!! The comments about "change" were thought-provoking.

Nashville Star - an interesting tidbit about Coffey....considering they told him to go to American Idol. :cryingwlaughter: The sailor sure can't sing. I don't think he hit a good note tonite....

The one thing about Clay that I always consider when we get in to discussions like this about his future, his past, his present, whatever - is the fact that like Muski said, HE HAS MAD TALENT!!! He isn't just a man with a voice blessed by the angels, he isn't just a man with 1000 faces that convey his every thought, and he isn't just a man who has a great sense of comedic timing. Alot of other people who have fallen by the wayside were marginal at best in the talent department. Maybe it's going to take a change of label, a change of attitude, a change of outlook, a change of goals or maybe NO change at all - maybe his time just hasn't come yet.....but there is still a phenomenal career inside that man and I do think he'll prevail.

And a little OT - but....what's with Billy Ray's jeans? He either has a strange shaped body or they're strange shaped jeans. Or he had to use a shoe horn to get it all in. Sheesh. Very weird.

Being an intense internet fan makes us prey to the most negative stuff out there, but I honestly believe that the vast majority don't know a fraction of it.

I believe this.

I'm not interested in lining Clay up against other idols. Unfortunately this is something that will happen for the rest of his career by fans and non fans alike. It's a game that can't be won because a place in time will never give you a full story. It's like that list of top idols somebody posted from last year. It was irrelevant already.

Since I'm around people who mostly listen to R&B, hip hop and rap they probably wouldn't know a thing about any of the idols. Breakaway was kind of a crossover but ask them what the name of Kelly's next album is and they couldn't tell you.

I just wonder if we as fans can get a true picture of what the world thinks. Would they even pay attention to Clay if you weren't in their lives? I mean hair? That's really important to people besides his fans?

Looks like I'm the only one here NOT on Pacific time.... *yawns and stretches and says a small thank you for FCA* ... heading off to bed :goodnight:

Yikes, top of page. I better put in some content..

I got a nice call from the Minnesota Orchestra people the other day. They sounded puzzled and wanted to know if I'd recently moved -- heh! heh! -- I said no, but if they were wondering why I was on their subscriber list it was because of trip I had taken with friends last year. We talked a bit but I could sense that they really really seemed to want to know why I'd been there but were too polite to ask, so I explained about the cute guy and they thought it was really nice that a group of Texans flew up there to see this Clay Aiken fellow. I asked about their program this year but they said no, he wasn't performing there this year, sounding somewhat apologetic. Nice people!

I'm sooo far behind...long day and I'm verra, verra sleepy.

Though I gotta admit, I can't picture a situation where it wouldn't be convenient to be a Leo...

When you're bored and feel like just chucking it all and taking a left turn.... then it's convenient to be a Saggittarius.

oooh! Wallace and Gromit! :woohoo:

OMG...Wallace and Gromit! My favorite episode is the one with the evil penguin. That one still CMSU!

Oh...I'm a Leo too.

I GOT THE JOB!!!! I'm soooo excited!!! I know this isn't earth-shattering news but I'm really pretty happy about it.

WINY - I like this song but every time I listen to it I think about Clay singing it in concert and hamming it up! I will say this though - it sounds better than the original recording.

Yeah baby!!!! I'm so thrilled for you! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Couchie, I hope you can get those allergies controlled soon...I'm having a terrible time this year for some reason.

Favorite phrase sung by Clay...I'm Not Supposed to Love You Anymore...But I can't hide this hurt inside my broken heart... Just KILLS me. I'm hopelessly in love with Clay's pre-AI stuff.

WOTH...just meh for me. I know lots love it to pieces, but it just doesn't grab me. I agree the production is great, but it's not my cuppa.

WINY...ummmm, I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. My GD got ahold of it and I can't find it.

Happy Belated Birthday to Fear!

All the quilting pictures are just beautiful! And the Clay ones too...

This is the quilt made by FromClaygary that I won. I couldn't find a good place to take a picture of it, so I hung it from my kid's top bunk. I'll always cherish that quilt.

Must sleep...nite nite.

My_Quilt.jpg

Over the next three or four days (say Tues-Fri) everyone ask the people you see on a daily basis. Co-workers, family, friends.

If we are lucky....Clay will come out of hiding and we won't have to deal with whatever the results may be!

Otherwise....report back here, Friday evening/Saturday day and we can discuss! :wordpooper:

I can't catch up, too tired to read all these long posts, but I appreciate the hell out of the discussion and the purdy pictures!!

But rohdy - you do realize that Friday is the 4th of July, don't you?? I would love to accept your assignment but I am going to be out of town until Sunday evening! Can we hold it over until Monday afternoon? :F_05BL17blowkiss:

BTW - I can name one song by each except Daughtry. Don't know and don't care!!

ALSO - CONGRATS TO ISEEME!!

I just love Clay.

I love his smile.

His voice.

His sense of humor.

His giggle.

His toes.

His nose.

His heart.

I just love him.

I don't give a shit about anything else.

Heh...I'm quoting myself from a previous page because the pictures are worth it...Also, I really like studying the first one and trying to determine where his belly button is and how much of his butt crack would be showing if his shirt rode up any higher.... :cryingwlaughter: Since he doesn't have much in the back, it's a good thing (for him, not us) that his front offered some resistance or that denim would've just shimmied on down to his ankles.

:huh:

:blink:

:Thud:

So say what's on your mind and if we start to wallow.. I have no doubt somebody will come along and snap us out of it, with a pciture, a joke, or the heel of her stilleto

Hey! What am I, chopped liver? :glare:

There's also a well-placed bit of smut to lubricate the wheels of discussion progress, right? :sleezy:

tummybanner.jpg

Wait....that's not smutty enough....

tongue-454-1170914209.jpg

Oooh....that's better...And although this next one isn't really smutty, it certainly induces smutty ideas. :hubbahubba:

face2.jpg

G'night, y'all! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

After some thought I'm just going to keep on believing that my experiences are the norm, cuz it's all about me :cryingwlaughter: I don't believe that everybody only hears weird stories about Clay and they don't hear about Unicef, or Spamalot, his voice, his charity, or that he's singing for presidents, is one of Idols more successful alums, or any other number of fluff items out there about Clay in People. I don't believe that Clay's own appearances don't make people smile or laugh or that they remember footgate but have forgotten the water cooler AI5 moment. Hell, I don't even understand why silly little incidents like footgate have been elevated to weird status or odd or notorious or that people keep them in their brain 3 years later. They were minor little things that he answered with flair. And things like Sewell, I bet most non fans wouldn't know what you were talking about if you handed them a happy meal and pantomined him snatching a big check.

While I understand people have had different experiences I am more determined than ever to not focus on the lowest common denominator of trashy tabloids and gossip or let my joy be snatched away by them. This obsessive need to see anything with Clay's name in it, no matter how trivial, just in my mind reinforces this notion that there is a constant pile on when it comes to Clay. Is there something in our brain that focuses more on these items and dismisses the good mentions? I am fortunate that the people in my life like Clay and when they talk to me about him they do so respectfully or inquiringly, but never rudely, never to degrade him or make me feel bad. If I'm living in some kind of bubble then Yay. I like it in here. Maybe we can move the party over here.

As for Clay's career? He has one. Still. In a world when the average career lasts a minute, it's five years later and he's still here. I have a beautiful album done the way he wanted it done and if he doesn't sell another, it will still be a great album. I have several other Clay albums to love and I have hundreds of songs thanks to the fact that the man likes to go on the road. And guess what, I just feel confident that no matter what happens Clay will be here 5 years from now. Maybe he won't be doing commercials or selling out arenas but do YOU need that to enjoy what he does give YOU.

And while I'm at it...MTRR :cryingwlaughter:

regarding the IIU -- the longer this goes on the more I am sending every good thought and vibe I can muster Clay's way. I hope it all works out the way he envisioned it IIT and that the privacy he has learned to cultivate for himself, the hard way, will be used to protect the wee one. IIT. hee. And the biggest protection of all will be love; that will trump any tabloid rag. All disclaimers apply.

Hey, couchie, :preachit: :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I haven't been sleeping well lately, because of work stress and financial stress and the fact that my damned kids don't GET that I have to go to work in the morning and need my 8 hours.....never mind that they seem to be able to stay up to 3 am with friends going in and out the front door, and the phone ringing off the freaking hook......and then they still get up and go to work, too. :cryingwlaughter: Must be that 'youth' thing. Last night I put my foot down, took the dog, closed my door and went to bed at 10 pm. Never heard a thing until 5:45 am when the dog went berserk barking. Seems son #1's gf had just left for work. Ah well, that was almost 8 hours, I'm not gonna quibble over who killed who 15 minutes. *waves to annabear*

I liked #6 and #9 :hysterical: Can't even remember their names, isn't that awful?? Sebastien Piggott is #6 I think....can't remember the other guy's name. Lots of pretty good folks this year though!

I'm voting a few times for anyone I think did a good job; I'll narrow it down (maybe) later.

Congrats on the job, Iseeme!

ETA: #9 is Gary Morisette according to idolstalker....

Hee, I liked #1 and #10. Planned to vote but went to bed instead. :whistling-1:

Favorite phrase sung by Clay...I'm Not Supposed to Love You Anymore...But I can't hide this hurt inside my broken heart... Just KILLS me. I'm hopelessly in love with Clay's pre-AI stuff.

Oh, me too! One of my favourite Clay notes EVER is in I Know How The River Feels. "It finally finds the place it was always meant to beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee." The tone on that first "be" in the song is so pure, it always sends shivers up my spine.

This is the quilt made by FromClaygary that I won. I couldn't find a good place to take a picture of it, so I hung it from my kid's top bunk. I'll always cherish that quilt.

Oh wow, that's gorgeous. I think I neeeeeeeeed to get me a Clay quilt. ;)

I think I must live in a "Clay-free" zone. I've had more people ask it it's my son on my screen-saver than recognize Clay. When I tell them that it's Clay, the most frequent response is a blank stare. Saying that he's a pop singer rapidly moves the conversation on to other things. If I mention American Idol, the usual response is that they don't watch it. Only about 10 - 20% of the time do people recognize the name and then the only comment is about his voice.

I use my laptop to give demonstrations, so a lot of people have seen it without any comment at all. I guess it all depends on where you live and who you interact with!

I'm not gonna quibble over who killed who 15 minutes. *waves to annabear*

No sense in quibbling when you're a recently bereaved [over loss of sleep] mother. *sleepily waves back to luckiest while preparing to run out the door for work*

Smokin' Joe Robinson, the 16 year old winner of Australia's Got Talent 2008.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rdGrzyIxiHA

He's an unbelievable acoustic guitarist... whether or not you play a musical instrument, I'd be surprised if you are not amazed at the skill and talent of this young guy.

He was my pick as the winner, I just couldn't see anyone else with any hope in beating him. (His performance at the Grand Finale was even better, but that hasn't been uploaded on YouTube yet as it was only screened in the last half hour.)

ETA In case the judges faces look vaguely familiar, they are:

Tom Burlinson - who played the lead in the movie The Man From Snowy River.

Dannii Minogue - Kylie's little sister... who as a regular on a children's talent show, was more famous than Kylie at that time*, more than 25 years ago.

Red Symons - member of a successful 70s Australian band called Skyhooks.

EATA: * I mentioned this for a reason ... the power of television. I am waiting for the day we hear that Clay has his own TV show, it's the ultimate classroom, and still more powerful than the internet in terms of reaching the scores of people who watch shows together and then discuss what they saw/heard at the watercooler etc

Here is the Grant Finale performance:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=K-witogjxjI

I can't catch up, too tired to read all these long posts, but I appreciate the hell out of the discussion and the purdy pictures!!

But rohdy - you do realize that Friday is the 4th of July, don't you?? I would love to accept your assignment but I am going to be out of town until Sunday evening! Can we hold it over until Monday afternoon? :F_05BL17blowkiss:

BTW - I can name one song by each except Daughtry. Don't know and don't care!!

ALSO - CONGRATS TO ISEEME!!

Ahhhhh....it's all part of the plan, ya know. I didn't really want to do that .... I just thought it would be funny if we did.

I was prepared to do it.....if necessary. LOL

Enjoy your weekend Cha-cha!

And yes! Congrats to ISEEME!

Just...WOW to all the gorgeous quilts!

Mornin' Annabear....and Lilyshine.....and Luckiest1....and Claytonic!

ETA: Whoa! Just watched Smokin' Joe....the kid is amazing! I loved it! Thanks for the link Claytonic!

Good Morning Everyone,

5 Days until Clay is on CNN for UNICEF!

:woohoo:

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

Rohdy ...Kelly is the only one (out of Carrie, Kelly, Daughtry and Clay) who has toured down-under so she's really the only one whose name is well-known here even though Seasons 1 and 2 were not screened on free TV. Kelly, being the first American Idol simply got a LOT of publicity. Whenever I am near a music shop, I pop in and ask if they have anything by Clay Aiken, and I get a blank look most of the time.

Glad you liked Joe Robinson! I will post the Grand Finale performance when it is posted on YouTube. (I love the way he throws in a bit of percussion!)