#43: Even more beautiful now, inside and out!

ldyjocelyn

Vote for next Thread Title  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What should be our next thread title?

• God we have it so bad...yet it feels so good!
    • That man just doesn't have quit in him.
    • Lordy, this guy makes me smile so hard. I love him
    • What boyfriend wants he gets!
    • We think we'll keep him!
    • Resistance is futile and once I heard that voice all was right with the world.
    • He's back. We're back. We're home again.
    • Yes, Clay, we still think you are sex on a stick! Southern Fried Sex on a Stick!
    • God we have it so bad...yet it feels so good!

I don't mind a dirty joke if it's funny, but some of that crap at the Roast was just crude and vulgar. Yuk.

Couchie I'm so glad that your mother is better, but I can sure understand why she'd be pissed at missing Obama.

couchie, I'm glad Mom is on the road to recovery. Too bad about the Obama rally, though -- it would have been a terrible crowd, but I think it would have been a once-in-a-lifetime moment.

Clay, take care.... I hear that playing with your baby son makes everything feel better.

That Jennifer Hudson thing is just...Wow. My prayers are with her and her family. I hope the young boy is OK....

As for the roast, I knew they were raunchy, but some of that was..... :yow:

Yeah, that was pretty much me too, although I have to admit, I laughed at a LOT of it. I think I'm kind of the opposite of couchie -- I've gotten a lot less sensitive toward that kind of comedy over the past few years. Would I be able to handle it if it was directed at me? Not sure...but I think I also do have a bit of a "mean" streak in me, and could probably dish it right back. And then I'd go out for a drink with the person who was giving it to me too. Who knows? I think Clay probably had a blast, even if it might have been uncomfortable for a bit.

Thank God it's Friday. I worked an 14 hour day yesterday, so I figured I would leave work a few hours early today. Fat chance. The person who closes the library with me on Friday afternoons called in sick, so I had to stay for the entire day again today. I figure I'll leave work early the day before my vacation!

I didn't find any of that roast funny at all. I'll laugh at a good dirty joke but those weren't even jokes, they were just reels of crude and vulgar mumbo-jumbo thrown together for shock value and attention grabbing. They make Sara Silverman look like a novice and the side swipes at Clay weren't funny at all. I've always respected Matt, he always seemed like that dying breed - a gentleman. Now I'm not so sure.

Good thing Clay didn't take Faye along...

I'm still not really clear about why Clay WAS there? How are the attendees decided? They're invited? Based on what criteria? Who does the inviting? Does everyone who's invited 'roast' the guest of dishonor? I guess I'm not seeing why Clay of all the possible celebrities...

:8:

And let's say he was invited. Wonder whether he really wanted to accept. Wonder if he thought, "Are you SERIOUS?" Maybe his 'people' told him it would be a smart move? Maybe HE thought it would be a smart move? Maybe he actually is friends with Matt?

Inquiring minds want to know... :sleezy:

<snip> I'm :offtobed: early tonight. So freaking tired I can hardly see straight. Heading out with a load of stuff for the condo in the morning, then priming the bedroom walls. Shopping for a vacuum cleaner and rugs in the afternoon.

Hope you can rest annabear with happy dreams of paint colors in your head. Just think how nice it will be to finally move. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Glad to read that mama tomato is doing better. More rest for couchie and you can be there in spirit watching the rally. I've been watching most of them online at CNN Live.

What a terrible story about Jennifer Hudson. I thought she had a long-time childhood sweetheart, but recently read that she is now engaged to a reality star. Her and her family are going to need a lot of support.

I think the word for that roast is sophomoric; it just seemed like frat boy humor.

Well, at least we get PANTS!!!!

83423936.jpg

And STANCE!!!

:hubbahubba:

What did Matt say about him?

Or just Matt's comments in general?

You know the worst language I was ever around was in amateur theater!

And they were , you know, AMATEURS!!!

:cryingwlaughter:

I would never talk like that, but I wouldn't expect anything less from the Friar's Club types, either.

Clay's a Big Boy! I'm sure he can handle it!

:nightienight:

<snip> I'm :offtobed: early tonight. So freaking tired I can hardly see straight. Heading out with a load of stuff for the condo in the morning, then priming the bedroom walls. Shopping for a vacuum cleaner and rugs in the afternoon.

Hope you can rest annabear with happy dreams of paint colors in your head. Just think how nice it will be to finally move. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Glad to read that mama tomato is doing better. More rest for couchie and you can be there in spirit watching the rally. I've been watching most of them online at CNN Live.

What a terrible story about Jennifer Hudson. I thought she had a long-time childhood sweetheart, but recently read that she is now engaged to a reality star. Her and her family are going to need a lot of support.

I think the word for that roast is sophomoric; it just seemed like frat boy humor.

annabear... ditto what jazzgirl said... you're overtired, but boy will it be worth it in the not too distant future!!!

What I read of that roast... well, I guess you had to be there. Sophomoric is right... sophomore in middle school! I know Clay has a bit of a raunchy sense of humor, but I'll bet you anything he was uncomfortable during parts of that roast. He was raised a nice Southern Baptist boy, ya' know... an eyeopener, indeed. I thought I saw Diane Sawyer in the pics, so maybe she got him invited.

Couchie... glad your mama is doing better! Sorry you'll miss the rally!!!

Kareneh... I see you down there... I have been really enjoying listening to your and Clay's exchange at the Gala. :cryingwlaughter: I love the whole banter section. He's so quick with the quips.

I don't think anybody (okay, I don't think *I*) said he couldn't handle it - but that whole 'how do you get a gay man to have sex with a woman?' was OTT crude. It's not even a joke (said the girl who has file folder bursting with good, dirty jokes). I can swear with the best of them, but I have a visceral reaction to the 'c' word - doesn't even matter what the context is.

I don't think anybody (okay, I don't think *I*) said he couldn't handle it - but that whole 'how do you get a gay man to have sex with a woman?' was OTT crude. It's not even a joke (said the girl who has file folder bursting with good, dirty jokes). I can swear with the best of them, but I have a visceral reaction to the 'c' word - doesn't even matter what the context is.

Ooh, Cindy,yeah that's yucky!

I didn't read the whole site, so I didn't see all the "jokes"!

I was just talking about people "worrying" about Clay and what they were saying about him.

I was thinking about skimming it tomorrow. Just for my own "edification" as it were. Sad when they can't, at least, be funny!

As Muski said, I am not sure why Clay was there at all. Doesn't seem like he had an 'active' role in the roast, he was just part of the audience, to be made use of.

In any case, I agree Clay's a big boy and by now, I'm sure he's already filled his head with more important things like his injury and commitment to Spamalot and his baby.

I must be getting very old, I just don't find vulgarity, for the sake of it, very funny. I'd like to see a roast where no profanity and crude terms were used... now, that would be a challenge only truly talented comic writers could take on.

Well, I finally watched the AH video. Clay seemed a tad serious/nervous in the quick glimpse we were given but I still hope he had a good time.

The really good thing is that the AH only named a very few of the people who attended and they showed even fewer. Clay was shown quickly a few times and actually mentioned by name as talking to whats-his-name who wouldnt have been mentioned at all if he hadn't been talking to Clay!

THAT is cool. Clay is a draw!

That "stance" pic of him about killed me!!! :wub:

Where's the Access Hollywood video?

Right here Also in CV and CH vaults.

AH

Thank you! I swear to God I can never find anything in the vaults!

Speaking as a sophomore... YOWZA. I've no halo, but holy crow to that roast!

I'm confused. Did Clay crack any jokes or was he just the butt of a few?

I learn more about Clay all the time. I wouldn't have thought he'd ever be involved in something like that. :o

I think it's actually a pretty big honor to be invited to one of the Friar's Roasts.

I suppose some of the jokes were probably funnier if you were there.

More power to Clay that he was in good company.

I am still in shock regarding Jennifer Hudson. After Clay, she and Fantasia are my favourite American Idols.

Her liner notes on her first album, after thanking God, she thanks her mum and then her siblings, and nephew, that's how much they meant to her:

In her self-titled debut album, released in September, Jennifer included a message of love to her family, including her mother.

"Next, of course, is u my mommy DARNELL AKA DOLL...," Hudson wrote in the liner note of the album after thanking God. "Thank u for instilling in me that I could do anything I put my mind to and teaching me to always put God first. Thank you for loving me no matter what."

After sending the message of thanks to her mother, Jennifer also including loving words for her siblings and her nephew.

"To the original JHUD's, my big bro and sis JASON and JULIA, I love you so much. Thank you both for rooting me on and supporting me like nobody else. Also for believing in me and never letting me settle for just ok but the best. Because of u, I don't believe in limits. LIL' JULIAN KING my lil' nephew, I love u, baby."

So just imagine, of the people mentioned in the liner notes, her mother and brother are murdered, and her sister and little nephew are missing.

When she received her Golden Globe (I think that was the award) for Dreamgirls, she said "Look what God can do". I wonder how she is feeling about God right now.

The bottom line for me is that there was a big list of New York news and media types at the Friars Club dealie. To my mind, those are exactly the kind of people who might be in a position to help Clay's future TV plans along (whatever they might be), or who could facilitate promo appearances for upcoming projects (like a TOUR, maybe?) I sure don't think it was a bad thing that he got to rub elbows with these type of people, particularly if he got the opportunity to demonstrate his wit and humor, or maybe even his political knowledge. It seems like over and over again that contacts Clay has made doing one project leads to an opportunity to do another, completely different thing. Vulgarity and low humor aside, fans have made a lot of noise about why Clay didn't participate in this kind of high profile stuff in the past, so if he feels comfortable enough to do it now, more power to him. YMMV and all that jazz, as always.

Couchie, glad your mom is better, bummer for missing Obama.

Come on Clay management... work it..get my boy a talk show.

Friars roasts are a great way to network with people who would possibly appear on a talk show.

And I don't remember ever seeing "just a guest" getting so much publicity. Clay is no babe in the woods, he knew exactly was was involved here. Also think that the guy whose face is on all the buses and who is listed routinely as helping with the Spam revenue knows, and is known by, a LOT more folks than we think. We don't see but a smidgen of his non-stage life.

Was Clay actually seated with the other roasters up on the dais? or just at a table? Seems to me that being on the invitees list is a lot more than just sitting in the audience, I believe.

Not really surprised Clay was invited, not surprised he accepted.

The bottom line for me is that there was a big list of New York news and media types at the Friars Club dealie. To my mind, those are exactly the kind of people who might be in a position to help Clay's future TV plans along (whatever they might be), or who could facilitate promo appearances for upcoming projects (like a TOUR, maybe?) I sure don't think it was a bad thing that he got to rub elbows with these type of people, particularly if he got the opportunity to demonstrate his wit and humor, or maybe even his political knowledge. It seems like over and over again that contacts Clay has made doing one project leads to an opportunity to do another, completely different thing. Vulgarity and low humor aside, fans have made a lot of noise about why Clay didn't participate in this kind of high profile stuff in the past, so if he feels comfortable enough to do it now, more power to him. YMMV and all that jazz, as always.

bottle, ITA. And I think Clay likes to face things head on, show he can give as good as he gets. Eventually, that attitude may stop him from being a whipping boy for late show comedians, etc. I think he knows what he's doing, and I applaud him for it. I just couldn't do it. ;)

Hope Clay's ankle feels better soon (not his soon). Not understanding what's going on with the other regulars though. During Clay's first run, I don't think Rick missed any shows, and although Tom was out some then, not like he has been this time around. Selfishly hoping that they will all be there when I go back again because its just not the same without any of them.

I was reading on OFC in the Spam thread yesterday (I was a bit bored at work, my computer was taking ages to complete some tasks) and they were discussing Tom and his hip injury. Apparently it is a bit of a concern right now, and is the reason he has missed so many shows. No idea about Rick. I hope they are all there in December when I take ds, because he is probably looking forward to them as much as (ok, maybe even more than, little shit) Clay.

Well, I managed to sleep for 10 hours. Yay me! That's probably a record. I'm feeling a bit more rested this morning.

{{{couchie & mom}}} Glad to hear the bleeding has stopped, at least. Hope she is released soon.

Clay definitely has a lot of influencial contacts in the entertainment industry, there are so many truly talented and powerful people who have a high regard for his talent and integrity.. Simon Cowell referred to David Foster as (verbatim>>) "the most successful (music) producer in this country (USA)", and his connection with Jaymes therefore puts him in a great position. He is so perfect for television - the kind of show that will allow him to utilize so many of his talents - singing, comedy, acting, teaching, dancing (ahem!), and most of all, communication, which is, after all, at the core of all those skills. It would be perfect if not now, then certainly when Parker starts school, so that he can be in one place during the school terms. The kind of show I see him in would be a cross between The Charlotte Church Show and Oprah, so a bit of everything, from singing to comedy skits to serious causes close to his heart.

One day... it will happen, I am sure of it.

Good Morning Everyone,

It was reported at the OFC that Clay is a member of The Friar's Club. I am really surprised at some of the reactions I am seeing on the boards because I remember when it was announced that Clay was going to be there; it was lauded as a great career move and an honor. These roasts are known for being raunchy and I fully expected Clay to get his share of put-downs...and I bet he did too. He is not that naive, young boy anymore...he is a grown man and quite capable of taking care of himself in these situations...Clay makes his career decisions based on the knowledge he has of the industry and I find it rather fascinating to see where he shows up. Really looking forward to the future after Spamalot.

But yeah, definately not my type of humor.

36 Days until Clay's Golden Birthday! :yahoo:

71 Days until The Closing Night of Spamalot!

:cry:

93 Days until Golfing for Inclusion!

:yahoo:

Everyone have a great day!

Kim