#14 We were all up on him screaming "Yeah! Yeah!"

ldyjocelyn

Next thread title poll  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the next main thread title

• I'm easy....I will take Clay any way he wants to give it to me!
    • Clay's instrument is full and especially soul-piercing the deeper it goes.
    • LOOKING FOR WALDO
    • Cut The Crap And Show Us Your Willy
    • [He's] a top quality human being
    • Clay Aiken: You are a Man of Character
    • Clay Aiken... bringing brainy back!!!
    • the Earl of Aikenberry: a man of character and Naughty by Nature
    • We were all up on him screaming "Yeah! Yeah!" (redux)

HA HA (TM Clay)

I just got a call from New Brunswick, NJ State Theater ( with all these Canadians, that NJ is very, very important!)

Turns out there was a glitch in their ordering system last night and, well, all ticket orders are cancelled and the money will be refunded - well, that is a first!. I explained to the woman, that I bought a ticket last night - not because I like breaking rules and I did know it was a mistake, but because other venues have done this and let the orders stand.

Then the woman said well we didn't sell taht many tickets - Oh Yeah? anly all the pit and the seats back to row L! Hope she has a lot of spare time. Any other ticket holders be aware, you no longer have tickets!

From KAndre's link above. heh

The Singer wants to the world to know he's got a great voice. So he sings. Really, really loud, during the lulls, during the shrieks. All the time. Fans of James Mercer met a prime example of this genus of Concert Fool last year at Iota, when Mercer, the lead singer of the Shins, closed a showcase for the Seattle label Sub Pop. Toward the end of his set, Mercer played "New Slang," his most popular tune, but suddenly you could barely hear the guy. A Singer had chimed in -- eyes closed, shot glass hoisted -- at a volume loud enough to drown out the man everyone had paid to hear.

The Reckless Smoker -- A cigarette is a dangerous weapon around people packed together tight. At a Guided by Voices show in New York -- before that glorious smoking ban went into effect -- fans were so jammed one night at a club called Tramps that you had to applaud with your hands above your head. This didn't stop a guy behind me from lighting up -- and then singeing some unlucky fan standing in front of him. "Sorry, man," the Smoker said. No doubt this made the burn victim feel a whole lot better.

The Angler -- They arrived late, and they don't want to stand in the back. So the Anglers connive to get close to the stage, which is tricky -- and rude -- at a show that's sold out. The most inventive Angler I've seen waited till right before the first song and pretended to be on the verge of vomiting as he waded toward the lip of the stage. People leapt out of his way. When he got to the front, he just smiled.

More recently, at a Bob Dylan show, a woman murmured "That's my husband" as she nudged her way to a place at a forward section on the floor of the 9:30 club. She slipped an arm around a tall man and smiled as if greeting her mate. Which he wasn't. The man gave her a confounded look and a polite brushoff. Why she thought this would work is a mystery, but I had the sense it wasn't the first time she'd tried the gambit. In this instance she retreated, muttering: "What a jerk."

The Requestaholic -- They came for one song, and they're going to hear that song if it kills them. Which it nearly did at a couple of Bruce Springsteen's solo shows during his "Ghost of Tom Joad" tour in 1996. The Boss asked fans at the outset not to shout for tunes, and in those cities where the Requestaholics wouldn't stop, Springsteen threatened to ask fans nearby to take matters into their own hands.

The Talker -- The bane of nearly every show. A shocking number of ticket buyers regard rock concerts as ideal moments to catch up with friends. I can remember a pair of women nattering through a My Morning Jacket concert, a guy flirting shamelessly with a mini-shirted damsel at a Peaches show, a half-dozen drinkers at Iota who didn't seem to realize a band was in the room. The most stupefying Talker I've seen was at a Melissa Etheridge show at the Warner Theatre, a woman who called a friend on her cell phone just as Etheridge hit the stage.

"I'm at the show! Yeah, Melissa just came on! Yeah! Can you hear me? What? Can you hear her? What?" There were murderous stares from everyone in her vicinity -- and then verbal threats -- but it didn't matter. The dedicated Talker doesn't care.

The Stander -- Ordinarily, this is not a big deal. But if everyone else is sitting, it can lead to violence. At a Peter Gabriel show at MCI Center, one Stander, a thirtyish woman in jeans, had the misfortune of blocking the view of a true Concert Fool (see Grabber, below) who slapped her rear end when she refused to have a seat. She ran for the cops, and he hustled out of that section of the arena, presumably to watch the show from another seat.

The Grabber -- One who grabs. See above.

That's the list. If you recognize yourself in any of these categories, let me ask a favor on behalf of everyone else who loves live music: Stay home and wait for the DVD.

Even if there won't be a DVD.

Pretty please?

liney takes her courage in both hands...

I am sooooo happy to be joining this board... thank you for being here!

That pic of Clay and Angela... HAWT!!! :Thud: I have always loved their relationship and felt she was a lot responsible for his ever increasing comfort with his own sexiness. I remember one JBT where that big ole hand of his got so close to the side of her breast that she actually had to stop him... :hubbahubba:

OK, gotta take a moment.... (squirms in chair... at work, no less)

On the racism comment... he did ask it as a question, but several very nice people I hang with took it as an accusation personally and were very hurt by it. That's a shame, but their problem, unfortunately. I did not take it personally and was not hurt by it, but understand the viewpoint of those who were. They felt they had defended him over and over and felt hurt that he accused them of something that was not true. And, they weren't even there. Strange, but I think they were not the only ones to feel that way.

I LURVE titanium!!!

End of statement...

I have figured out what CMSU means, but DCAT defeats me. Could someone 'splain please? Thanks!!!

And, here it goes...

liney, DCAT stands for "Doing Clay Aiken Tour." This was the name of the tour created by FCA after Clay made a comment on Quiana's MySpace page. She had on her calendar listing there simply his name on certain days for the tour, and he made the comment "geez, sounds like you're doing me." Hence, we decided to Do Clay Aiken.

We even created T-shirts!

We had pins too, but I think they are sold out.

understand the viewpoint of those who were

And I think that's why I like the discussions around here -- I get the feeling that at least most here try to put themselves in someone else's shoes on almost every issue. Or, if we can't understand it, we at least say "agree to disagree" and move on.

clayglo, I hope that you at some time feel comfortable enough to give your viewpoints here. Just remember that we might agree with you wholeheartedly...or only agree with you partially....or may not agree with you at all. And I try to NOT take any disagreements personally around here. That's another key, IMO.

I think I can understand the position of those upset beause this fandom has had accusations in the past of being racist. However, in this case, IMO this is more of a royal we type thing. Instead of saying it directly to the eye roller and the booer he made it inclusive. heh. Sounds stupid but I hope you know what I mean.

And is Toni the black woman who "cussed" at his xmas show and Clay commented and joked about it for several shows? Or am I confusing people. I think she's from the Clayboard and I remember getting her permission to put up her recap at FCA. Funny stuff.

ETA: Yep..thanks YSRN..I used yours. weeeeeeeeeeeeeee

No, that was Bridget who cussed. She is a real sweetie! Not sure who toni is.

hey liney...great first post.

This is why the negatives that were thrown at toni surprised me. As far as I know her only claim to fame is because Clay recognized her as a multiple concert goer. Yeah he teased her as stalking him but that applied to all that followed him around to more than one or two concerts. It was a joke. So to me the treatment to toni seem more perplexing. Does anybody know if she was treated badly on the boards ???or in person??

Why Michael Bublé won't just shut up and sing

Interesting article about Michael Buble... his career path, his relationship with Foster, how Warner packaged him and how he feels about it, his self-deprecating on-stage mugging... and stuff. It's long and there's a lot of interesting parallels, of course. Worth a read, IMO. Here's an excerpt:

In recent years, Bublé has frequently run down his first album (about five million copies sold to date) as "schmaltz" and "crap." He likes to tell the story of an interview he once did with a respected New York City jazz DJ who asked him -- live on the air -- why he didn't just leave blank space on the record instead of his note-for-note recreation of a Sinatra classic. "I knew he was right," says Michael. On the second record, It's Time, Bublé again caved to pressure for a "nostalgic" track, using the familiar Nelson Riddle arrangement of I've Got You Under My Skin. When the subject came up in the studio this time, the singer held firm. "I was like 'Over my dead body. It's not going to happen.' " Call Me Irresponsible has some of Frank's songs, but not in his style. I've Got the World on a String is breezy and Sylvester-the-cat sibilant. That's Life -- transformed into a gospel rocker -- is serving as the tour's showstopper, with a full choir joining Michael onstage every night. "It's okay to borrow things, to be influenced," he says. "But just to rip it off, just to repeat it? I think I have a responsibility to move the music forward."

It's a nice statement of purpose, but the singer and the people around him -- B.C.-born super-producer David Foster and yet another Vancouver native, agent Bruce Allen -- are canny enough to realize that people don't buy his records to feel experimental. (A full 46 per cent of Bublé's sales in the U.S. come from Target department stores.) The mantra for the new disc, says Bublé, was "growth without alienation." So along with the standards, fans get a version of Billy Paul's '70s-soul classic Me and Mrs. Jones (Blunt sings backup vocals), and an upbeat duet with Boyz II Men that stretches Mel Tormé's Coming Home Baby in unexpected directions. Most importantly for Bublé -- and his pocketbook (commercial radio shies away from covers) -- there are two original compositions: the current single, Everything, and Lost, an end-of-the-dance ballad penned with Arden and Alan Chang, his musical director. A similar song on his last album, Home, gave Bublé his first No. 1 hit in the U.S. Lost is perhaps an even more perfect Fosterian confection. By Christmas, it should be unavoidable.

With all this talk of growth and new directions, it's natural enough to wonder if Bublé might be getting ready to make a real leap of faith, and part ways with the man who made him a star. David Foster, after all, is something of a golden curse -- a man with almost unerring easy-listening instincts (Céline Dion, the Corrs, Josh Groban) -- and a cool factor of absolute zero. In the shorthand version of Michael's story, Foster gets almost all of the credit, "discovering" the singer when he performed at the 2000 wedding of Caroline Mulroney, daughter of the former prime minister. The reality, Bublé concedes, was more complex.

So for all the talk of "creative differences" and battles in the studio, don't expect a Michael Bublé rock opera any time in the near future. "I like to make fun of him too -- say things like 'How do you hear your music? You don't ride elevators,' " allows the singer. "But there's a reason why millions and millions of people bought all those albums." And as long as the fruits of their partnership have integrity, Bublé says he's content to let the hipsters and the critics sneer. The part of his story that people often overlook is the 10 years Michael spent plying his trade in lounges and clubs to crowds that were more interested in the price of the drinks than the guy up on stage. Street cred is overrated. "I'm not in the record business," Bublé shrugs. "I'm building a career."

I witnessed Toni speaking with Jerome at the busline after the concert, so maybe, and this is pure conjecture, someone had said something unpleasant to her and she was reporting it to Jerome. Of course, maybe she's just buddies with Jerome!

Anyway, I had no idea there was a big reaction to Clay's race question. I didn't bother me.

Ok...first of all, is liney23 the liney I know from Claymaniacs? :RedGuy: If so, KEWL! Welcome and good to see you again! If it's a different liney, well Welcome anyway! :clap:

Re the Toni thing. This has confused me from the get go. I thought he was talking to/about Toni7babe---the woman who takes all the videos and is at so many concerts. She's Caucasian, though! (Isn't she? I thought I met her in Houston...but maybe I'm wrong? As Couchie knows, I seem to have a problem distinguishing if someone is pale or dark...heh) So I couldn't figure out who he was talking about in the 'you don't like black people?' question....or maybe his brain synapses had already flitted back to talking only about Ethel? :wacko:

Hell, I don't know....I just know it was an awkward moment when he asked the question and I hope everyone can process that whole situation and what it means in each person's individual contexts and move on....

Love the descriptions of The Talker and The Singer best, as those are the ones I've had most experience being pissed off by. <_<

I remember at one of Clay's TV tapings he was pointing out people he recognized in the audience. He mentioned someone named Toni. The camera didn't show the people he was pointing out, and it was the first time I recall him mentioning her.

Toni is hotclay. She is black. So when Clay looked at her and then back at Ethel, he made the quip about the "connection" he saw. You can see him make the connection and then the "oh...I seee" comment. To me, he just purposely said the most obvious, overly OTT ridiculous thing not imagining that anyone would think he really meant it or would be offended. But of course, some people did and are. And of course, I understand why; but it's just not how it struck me. Of course, I wasn't there either and I had advance "warning" via the cellcert, so who knows if I would have felt differently sitting in the audience. Dunno.

Crap, I hate the top of the page.... Weee, first post on the page!!

Edited by YSRN

well fire up the engines, and send out the alerts

there is a black woman in the fandom that I haven't been mistaken for yet! :cryingwlaughter:

BWAH! But I betcha I'll hold on to my record of being the only person thinking you were a white woman with long blonde hair!

:lmaosmiley-1: :cryingwlaughter:

PS...that avie you have, couchie, is gonna be the death of me.... :Thud: I never thought dying would be orgasmic.

Edited by muskifest

Washington Post's take on concert etiquette

There's only category I haven't come across...

Thanks for this KAndre...I laughed out loud!

clayglo, I hope that you at some time feel comfortable enough to give your viewpoints here. Just remember that we might agree with you wholeheartedly...or only agree with you partially....or may not agree with you at all. And I try to NOT take any disagreements personally around here. That's another key, IMO.

ldyjocelyn...gotcha!!! So we've been discussing Bridget, Toni7babe, hotclay, but I want to discuss Cap123456789.

Is this where I duck and cover?