CLAY CHAT -- September 20 - 21 9PM EDT

Couch Tomato

How does Clay combat the tabloid media?

Tabloids make soap operas out of people’s lives.

A certain percentage of people out there believe what is written in them.

Moving back to Raleigh is one thing Clay has done to avoid the paparazzi and become fodder for the tabloids. Let’s face it paparazzi just don’t hang out in Raleigh NC.

Jennifer Aniston refuses to read any tabloid and has asked her family not to do so either.

I think Clay probably follows that scenario too. Clay hardly if ever responds to anything said about him. Clay pushes his ignore button. Good in some instance, not so in others.

OK, here we go -- chat part two!

QUESTION ONE:

I think he combats it the way he has been - by ignoring it as much as humanly possible. They want the attention and if he comments on it he will just draw more attention to it. Besides, its not as big a deal as some think it is. Not everyone - not even the majority of people - pay attention to the tabloids.

I think he should not give the devil his due and just ignore, ignore, ignore. It won't stop it - nothing will - but it will draw less attention to it.

The tabloids and slime like JP and PH will ALWAYS be around. So all you can do is pay absolutely no attention to them. Don't let them see you sweat, as they say.

OK, here we go -- chat part two!

QUESTION ONE:

Celebrities are always "putting out fires" - it goes with the territory - a sad fact but true. He only has to live his life, although it is highly scrutinized at every juncture. I do feel there are "troublemakers" out there trying to do him in somehow tho.

Ignoring is the only thing to do. It's interesting that American celebrities often file suit against British tabloids (presumably because British laws favor the plaintiff in these cases). I've often wondered if/when Clay is marketed in England, will the British press have a field day with the rumors about his private life? And if so, will he be more likely to file suit there?

He doesn't.

IMO what he's doing is honestly the only way to play this game. Ignore Ignore Ignore. He needs to live his life. PERIOD. If he responds to specific stories it only invites a counter response and on and on and on.

eta...I know that probably isn't the most popular opinion...

eta 2 ... or maybe it is the popular opinon. Hee.

:lilredani:

Edited by jamar1700

I honestly think the "unasked" question related to this question is "Should Clay fight the tabloid media?" I agree with everyone that he really should just ignore....but I get the feeling that some want him to be the "poster child" for taking on the media, in order to make that change in society. Society seems to love this kind of tabloid stuff, and I think that there are many of us that are sick of it. Question is, should Clay be the person leading the revolution? I don't think so, myself. I think it has to come from LOTS of people, starting with US. If we ignore, the ratings and sales go down (hopefully), and this stuff might go away.

QUESTION ONE:

Simple - Ignore Ignore Ignore Ignore . . .

ITA!

Plus, go on, live his life, find ways to privately take care of himself in the face of any pain it might bring him. Then, go forward, make his music, sell CDs and whatever, tour, work for his foundation, be funny as heck, and focus on what gives meaning to him personally.

I don't think any celebrity has to do anything about whatever obnoxious press they get, except survive it, and move on. Ultimately, the best defense is a good offense, imo, so do what gets good press....for Clay, that's likely going to be singing, humor, and philanthropy.

Edited by Nelle

I do feel there are "troublemakers" out there trying to do him in somehow tho.

I have such a hard time wrapping my mind around this - not that you said it because unfortunately, I agree that there probably are people like this out there - but what drives them, why do they do it, I don't understand it - is it hate? is it sport? I don't get it... and it's more a rhetorical question I guess because who knows, right? It's just a sad commentary on people today...

ok...tabloid? Unfortunately it is the new wave...Even so called legit news get it's reports from tabloids and blogs - none of which is verified. I don't know what Clay or anyone can do about it. I'm all for Clay ignoring the lies because I do think it would become a full time job for him. He'd be answering some new claims every other day. But I like how he has handled things when he has decided to respond. I'll continue to leave what things he chooses to respond to up to him.

How does he deal with the tabloids?

I think it has varied... around AI, he just laughed at most of it, as it was stupid. Then 2006... I think he was worried on that one and probably mad as hell. Then we circled the wagons (one of our finest hours) and his "Thank you" was just so beautiful.

He has ignored a lot, but the contest that didn't happen was so cool. Love combative Clay against asshats!

I think tabloids are a part of celebrity, unfortunately, and that he knows that and makes his response fit the mess.

Or. he makes jokes about it... like the "lips done" "fathered an illigitemate child" banter last JNaT.

He ignores, he mocks

Totally !! We should do the same...

Exactly. If only members of this fandom would follow that advise!

I don't go to the sites or buy the rags. I don't email anyone who mentions a tabloid story and I don't even get upset about any of it. Its crap. Everyone knows it and as sad as it may be, its part of being a celebrity. You take the good with the bad with anything and being a celebrity is no exception.

I honestly think the "unasked" question related to this question is "Should Clay fight the tabloid media?" I agree with everyone that he really should just ignore....but I get the feeling that some want him to be the "poster child" for taking on the media, in order to make that change in society. Society seems to love this kind of tabloid stuff, and I think that there are many of us that are sick of it. Question is, should Clay be the person leading the revolution? I don't think so, myself. I think it has to come from LOTS of people, starting with US. If we ignore, the ratings and sales go down (hopefully), and this stuff might go away.

Some people want Clay to fight every fight there is out there spreading himself thinner than water. Clay can't live his life for some people, he can't live his life for me, either. I find people who feel they are the center of the universe boring and annoying and wish I could wish them back to the dark ages where they would fit right in. Like pre-Copernicus.

Not much anyone can do. If George Bush can ignore the headlines about him and not push for any changes in the law , what can a celebrity do? It must really sting for Clay to think that there are people who actually believe this crud.

I have never seen one single person buy one of these things while at the grocery store. Do people really subscribe to them? How on earth do they stay in business? I did a search to see who owned these magazines. Most are owned by the same owner/ owners. They are privately owned.

Other celebs have done this - it's really expensive and time-consuming - I don't think Clay want to that because of those two factors.

(bolding mine)

Great question... while someone will ultimately have to "lead the fight", I don't think I want it to be Clay... the person who takes this on will live through so much shit that it would be unreal... because then all of them would be gunning for him... I'd rather he just lead his life, push his ignore button (tm-ing someone who've already forgotten said it) and keep doing what makes him happy... I'm not looking for him to save the world from the tabloids....

Besides, its not as big a deal as some think it is. Not everyone - not even the majority of people - pay attention to the tabloids.

I think he should not give the devil his due and just ignore, ignore, ignore. It won't stop it - nothing will - but it will draw less attention to it.

And I think related to that is "ignore the people that DO pay attention." Yes, it might mean ignoring your Mom, or brother, or friend, for a while, but hopefully, eventually, they'll get the hint. (I'm saying that from the perspective of someone who has only had to deal with this once, though....and one well placed "he said he isn't, and besides, what does that have to do with his singing?" stopped it cold.)

eta...I know that probably isn't the most popular opinion...

I don't know, looks pretty popular around here to me.

I think the day Clay considers it a 'combat' is the day he'll lose the war. He has said himself that nothing is so important that it can't be easily fixed or easily ignored. Apparently he has chosen to apply 'easily ignorned' to the tabloids. I imagine it isn't as easy to ignore as he would like it to be, or as he let's on.

For whatever reason, the media loves to take pot shots at him, and I think the more he tries to fight it, he'll just give them more ammunition. The only recourse open to him at this point is to ignor it, IMO.

I think what he is doing now when something is reported; he talkes about it and makes fun of it. I think he should let it be known in general that the media tells a lot of lies or half truths. I don't think he needs to do more then that