#22: Which brings us to Clay Aiken, as most good conversations should

ldyjocelyn

Thread title poll  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should be our next poll title???

• Lordy. He is one more hunkalicious dude!
    • Brown hair and red hair and blonde hair, OH MY!
    • Is He Harboring Weapons of Mass Seduction?
    • "God help us with the dancing part."
    • I love the new hair, and the hair from last week, and the hair from next week.
    • I can pretend he's the little Shetland pony I wanted to play with as a child.
    • He is a man of many parts and all of them can park on my couch anytime!!!
    • When I pushed the Clay button, his voice pushed all of mine.

I just got my "I Fart in Your General Direction" Jammie Pants in the Mail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm all ready for the SLUMBER PARTY!!!!

Making a note to stay upwind of cha cha at any FCA get togethers.... :imgtongue:

BWAH!!

And I forgot to add earlier, terrific banner, cha cha. Our intense angel-boy. *g*

cha cha, thank you for the pretty, pretty banner.

My day has been the suckiest day that has ever sucked here at work. It's performance appraisal time, and since I'm "supervisor in training," I collaborated with my boss on them, and am now sitting in on the discussions over them. What's killer though is that TPTB at my workplace have now changed the form, so that we're now looking for "good attitudes" and "team work" and "high service skills" instead of actual work duties. "Skills are teachable, attitudes are not." OK, so I can agree with this last statement, but it doesn't make it any easier when you try to gently tell them that it's noticed if they don't show up for any college-wide training sessions, or that they tend to just barge in and want to vent at someone without asking first if the other person has time. It just either pisses these people off, or makes them cry -- both of which happened this morning. The whole thing, coming from above, is just making me feel like a cog in a wheel, which isn't very useful at a college IMO. It also makes me think that they want everyone to think the same, and work the same, and that's something I just can't get behind. And yet, I'm stuck, because it's my boss' boss that's one of the people behind this whole thing. Catch-22, IMO. Anyway, I HATE this part of supervision....never really did like it. I just want to do my job as a librarian, you know?

Sorry about the rant. I just feel the need to curl up into a ball and cry.

So, friends at FCA -- can someone post some pretty pictures? Please? (Smiling pictures are especially welcome....)

:F_05BL17blowkiss: LdyJ. Managing is tough. I remember when I got promoted up and was suddenly the boss over all my friends and had to write their review. NOT FUN!

Had a second interview today... I still consider it a long shot but I guess the odds are better now then they were after the first interview.

Wanted to comment the latest m&g snafu.. since I wasn't there I just am not going to get all emotional about one person's account. And hell maybe she walked out of there pissed off as is her right. But my reaction could have been the complete opposite. I remember people being VERY upset at his comments in Raleigh about stealing the seats from the locals. I just laughed and raised my hand and said damn straight I was in the afternoon and evening show. All I know is that I'd rather have this format for the meet and greet than the old method. And although mine went very well, there used to be WAY more reports from people whose expectations weren't met. In a way I feel that they have changed a bit. Was it only the summer when these reports felt like so much fun. Now people are taking in lists of questions like it's an interview and taking notes of the experience while it's happening so that they can tell the fandom every single word that happened rather than just enjoying the moment. Is this even about Clay anymore?

Gah! :hubbahubba: for KarenEh's pix! Where IS that woman, anyway?

And ldyjocelyn...I DO sympathize...I've managed people and have had to fire someone. It sucks. And you know what? It also sucks to be on the receiving end of a performance appraisal that is emotion-packed, politically loaded and filled with things that totally blindside you---totally unexpected shit...

But that's MY problem...Remember, Muski---Wherever you go, there you are....wherever you go, there you are, wherever you g....

Anyhoo :lilredani: ...I, uh...find these recent pics of Clay and his glasses with the old-time hairdo rather....

evocative...

of certain things---certain times in my past.... :whistling-1:

But mostly, the MAN behind that boyish hairstyle is oh so apparent. The confidence and....

titanium, I tellya! :Thud:

ETA: Couchie! What bruhaha NOW exists about a M&G experience? Somebody walked out all pissed off? Huh? And I'm with you on the whole thing. Dayum...the man changes the way the M&Gs happen that allow a more conversational and personal experience and people still find things to bitch about/pick apart. And another thing! When the HELL can we get together? I REALLY REALLY need to!

Wanted to comment the latest m&g snafu.. since I wasn't there I just am not going to get all emotional about one person's account. And hell maybe she walked out of there pissed off as is her right. But my reaction could have been the complete opposite. I remember people being VERY upset at his comments in Raleigh about stealing the seats from the locals. I just laughed and raised my hand and said damn straight I was in the afternoon and evening show. All I know is that I'd rather have this format for the meet and greet than the old method. And although mine went very well, there used to be WAY more reports from people whose expectations weren't met. In a way I feel that they have changed a bit. Was it only the summer when these reports felt like so much fun. Now people are taking in lists of questions like it's an interview and taking notes of the experience while it's happening so that they can tell the fandom every single word that happened rather than just enjoying the moment. Is this even about Clay anymore?

WORD!!!

I am getting a feeling that the people peeved at Clay about the m&gs have other issues...I suspect some are just getting a bit jealous they haven;t gotten a chance to talk to him...some are upset their stories weren't chosen...some are upset cos Clay is not following their time frame for their Make Clay a Rock God agenda....some are upset because he is not perfect...

I have to say Muski's and 00lsee's posts this afternoon were very apt....

Fans always seem to want to get to know Clay...but at times they cannot handle the reality of his humanity.

Karen eh...great pix!!!!

OMG - I finally got the outside of the house decorated today!! It's been bothering me and stressing me out because of the rain and bad weather and since I am having 12 ladies over for Bunco on Friday and then going away for the weekend and THEN having all the fam over next weekend..... I wanted to get 'er done!!housetrees.gif

tree33.gifThe tree is up but not decorated yet, but that's something I can do after dark, or even in the middle of the night if I want!!! :cryingwlaughter:

Thanks for the purdy purdy pictures........ Clay NiiiiiiiiiiiIIiiiiiiiiiiiIIiiiiiiiCe............... :hubbahubba:

eta: wheeeeeeeeeee! I'm a personal manager!!

Somebody said at the CH how the M&G have morphed from a little perk for some fans to this thing where he seems to be talking to the fandom ex cathedra...and oddly enough, I don't think it's fair to Clay. He got it to the point where not only the fans were enjoying the M&G but he seemed to be as well - now he's occasionally getting interrogated and when people are starting to take notes in front of him - well, I would react in a much, much worse way.

KAndre... bolding mine... You are totally right. If I put myself even a tiny bit in Clay's shoes (or mandels LOL), I don't know how he does it. He knows that everything he does brings BIG discussion. I'd be so self-conscious over every little word/action that I'd just retreat. He just keeps on keeping on. Knowing that he's displeasing someone somewhere. I admire him tremendously.

I also agree with muski and (oooh, I forgot the first poster who said this... sorry!). I have studied metaphysics for almost 20 years and now do counseling in it and I know that and what bugs you the most in others are issues within yourself that you are bringing to your attention to work on and heal. I live that every day and it sure makes life more relaxed. It's never "out there" that is doing it to you, it's always you bringing it to you to learn from. [/end of philosophical exerpt]

Something else I have thought as I have read all recaps that come my way... Clay must occasionally... ok, maybe often... get tired of being asked all these questions, even tho it was his idea. How much of the answers he gives are his way of "not answering"?

ldyj... first...

not20friday20yet.jpg

Then...

Vegas.jpg

Pic055fsn.jpg

cropgala2.jpg

JNT25.jpg

clayRS.jpg

I hadn't realized I prefer more serious pictures until I went into my photobucket looking for laughing ones.

Last night when the M&G report went up from the lady who posted about starting to take notes, when I read it I didn't get the impression from her that she was upset about it. I don't know if she's changed her mind since I haven't been reading around today. I did read lots of posts from others saying how upset they would have been if Clay had said that to them. I get the impression from the M&G reports that Clay tries to make these few minutes with this handful of fans each night a little fun and personal. I pictured the note taking exchange as kidding around. It reminded me of the time in concert when he had a group of fans put there hands up if they'd seen the show before and as fans started to put their hands down he shouted something like," Keep em up, I didnt' tell you you could put them down." I could be full of crap, but that's just how it struck me. I'll admit I have a high tolerance to sarcasm, so what would bother some probably wouldn't bother me too much. Plus, I'm usually pretty willing to give Clay the benefit of the doubt.

Totally agree with everyone here today; I have come to the conclusion that there are some in this fandom who are not happy unless they are worrying, angsting; mad at Clay, etc....it seems the word fun is not in their vocabulary.

I am really loving his hair right now...I was never a fan of the bangs, so I am glad they are gone and I love that he appears to be going back to his natural hair color.

Side note: Hubby is tearing the house apart for a DVD he bought today...he swears he set it down in our bedroom but it is no where to be found and I can't help him look because he bought it for me for Christmas.

It was actually a nice day here today; the sun actually came out! Supposed to get cold for the week-end but none of the white stuff...Yay!

Kim

Hubby found the DVD, it was on the desk in my daughter's room...I know you were all on pins and needles waiting to find out!

Kim

Last night when the M&G report went up from the lady who posted about starting to take notes, when I read it I didn't get the impression from her that she was upset about it. I don't know if she's changed her mind since I haven't been reading around today. I did read lots of posts from others saying how upset they would have been if Clay had said that to them. I get the impression from the M&G reports that Clay tries to make these few minutes with this handful of fans each night a little fun and personal. I pictured the note taking exchange as kidding around. It reminded me of the time in concert when he had a group of fans put there hands up if they'd seen the show before and as fans started to put their hands down he shouted something like," Keep em up, I didnt' tell you you could put them down." I could be full of crap, but that's just how it struck me. I'll admit I have a high tolerance to sarcasm, so what would bother some probably wouldn't bother me too much. Plus, I'm usually pretty willing to give Clay the benefit of the doubt.

Well, I read that Clay had Jamie take her notes from her and that is what upset someone there. I have to admit, if Clay had Jamie take something away from me I would be upset. When Jerome recites the rules, no note taking has never been mentioned. I mean, was he saying anything in this M&G that would cause trouble is it was ever read in someone's notes? I doubt it, since it would inevitably end up on a message board anyway!

Who knows what really happened, but we all know Clay can be pissy and has a bad temper sometimes. Did he nicely ask the note taker to stop? Did he ask her nicely to relinquish the notes? Did he explain to her why he didn't want her notes to leave the room? Was she obnoxious and refuse? Who knows, but from the reports I read he sounded like he was just being pissy. Seriously, to have Jamie take her notes away like she had just cheated on a test?

Clay is human. He must have good days and bad days and be in good moods and bad moods. But he is also in a position where he needs to check his bad mood at the door during things like M&G. If a fan gets out of hand, he has Jerome. I personally cannot imagine what it was about some woman taking notes that would warrant what allegedly happened. I do know if something like this happened at a M&G I had won, it would have soured my entire experience.

Which is why I never enter to win M&Gs. I have my fantasies about Clay and I want to keep them firmly intact.

Besides, if I had my picture taken with him, I would have photographic evidence that I really am old enough to be his mother!!!!

Talk about shattering your fantasies!

cha cha, we have a 4.5 hour drive or so to Erie on Sunday, and right now the forecast is 90% chance of snow. But we will persevere! It's never stopped us before..... ;) I hope the ice storm misses you.

I have a 4.5 hr drive to Williamsport...and then a 4.5 hr drive to Erie the day after. :cry4: I'm SKEERED!!!! and I'm driving alone. The only consolation, I guess, is that I don't think the weather people have any more clue than I do what the weather is going to be. I'll see what it looks like when I get up in the AM I guess.

Is there anyone in the Williamsport area already that would like to have my (very good) ticket if I can't get there? PM me if you are interested. It's only one ticket.

My day has been the suckiest day that has ever sucked here at work. It's performance appraisal time, and since I'm "supervisor in training," I collaborated with my boss on them, and am now sitting in on the discussions over them. What's killer though is that TPTB at my workplace have now changed the form, so that we're now looking for "good attitudes" and "team work" and "high service skills" instead of actual work duties. "Skills are teachable, attitudes are not." OK, so I can agree with this last statement, but it doesn't make it any easier when you try to gently tell them that it's noticed if they don't show up for any college-wide training sessions, or that they tend to just barge in and want to vent at someone without asking first if the other person has time. It just either pisses these people off, or makes them cry -- both of which happened this morning. The whole thing, coming from above, is just making me feel like a cog in a wheel, which isn't very useful at a college IMO. It also makes me think that they want everyone to think the same, and work the same, and that's something I just can't get behind. And yet, I'm stuck, because it's my boss' boss that's one of the people behind this whole thing. Catch-22, IMO. Anyway, I HATE this part of supervision....never really did like it. I just want to do my job as a librarian, you know?

WOW, I find this interesting....so your performance appraisals are built on assessing someone's personality, if I'm understanding you correctly? And if their personality is not suited to the job, just HTH are they supposed to change THAT I'd like to know??

As you've already said, and it's so true, skills are teachable...attitudes are not.

Interestingly, I had to drop into the library this afternoon quick as I was on my lunch hour and had to pick up a hold and drop a book off before I leave on Friday.

There was one person in line in front of me; they were taking quite a while, not sure why. In the meantime, at least 10 other people lined up behind me. There were two staff members standing on the opposite side of the desk playing on the computer and loudly (audibly to all in line) discussing a cooking show on TV that they both follow, and it's finale last night (I guess). They turned to look at the lineup but continued to discuss the show.

Finally one of them wandered over to the service side of the counter and looked at me without a word said; her friend continued to discuss the show with her. Person A took my book, processed it and all the while carried on her personal conversation without a single word said to me. The whole time Person B was talking to her while semi-laying stretched across the service counter with her back to the customers.

If I hadn't been in such a rush I would have asked for a supervisor. It was truly disgraceful.

And no, :lmaosmiley-1: I wasn't cranky when I went IN!!

Well, I read that Clay had Jamie take her notes from her and that is what upset someone there. I have to admit, if Clay had Jamie take something away from me I would be upset. When Jerome recites the rules, no note taking has never been mentioned. I mean, was he saying anything in this M&G that would cause trouble is it was ever read in someone's notes? I doubt it, since it would inevitably end up on a message board anyway!

Who knows what really happened, but we all know Clay can be pissy and has a bad temper sometimes. Did he nicely ask the note taker to stop? Did he ask her nicely to relinquish the notes? Did he explain to her why he didn't want her notes to leave the room? Was she obnoxious and refuse? Who knows, but from the reports I read he sounded like he was just being pissy. Seriously, to have Jamie take her notes away like she had just cheated on a test?

Clay is human. He must have good days and bad days and be in good moods and bad moods. But he is also in a position where he needs to check his bad mood at the door during things like M&G. If a fan gets out of hand, he has Jerome. I personally cannot imagine what it was about some woman taking notes that would warrant what allegedly happened. I do know if something like this happened at a M&G I had won, it would have soured my entire experience.

Which is why I never enter to win M&Gs. I have my fantasies about Clay and I want to keep them firmly intact.

Besides, if I had my picture taken with him, I would have photographic evidence that I really am old enough to be his mother!!!!

Sorry to post-ho....I think perhaps you should reread both the M&G's original post and atinal's which you quoted...nothing of the sort was said in either. This is a good illustration as to how these stories get started.

You asked a lot of questions CG..and that was my point. I wasn't there so I don't know how it was said and I'm not going to get upset over it since I wasn't there. If Clay had asked me to stopped taking notes..I guess I just would have stopped taking notes. The fact that the woman herself wasn't upset speaks volumes to me anyway. Beyond that I just don't know. And yep, I have no doubt that Clay can be sarcastic as hell. But in this case I'm not going to let one person's experience, who is not me, tarnish my view of how these meet and greet reports are happening and I see a lot of that. I don't want them done away with or for it to go back to the old way.

I really dont' know how Jerome can recite every rule and figure out everything he should say. Who would think that taking notes would be something they'd need to say no to. I know the last thing I'd do in a room with clay is pull out a pen. I mean unless we want Jerome to do a 20 minute lecture it's IMPOSSIBLE to foresee all.

LdyJ that's a really odd appraisal format. Are raises based on those? What about actual job performance..I rather have someone around a little salty but competent than the opposite.

Sorry to post-ho....I think perhaps you should reread both the M&G's original post and atinal's which you quoted...nothing of the sort was said in either. This is a good illustration as to how these stories get started.

Please don't talk to me like your are correcting me in school.

I stated what I had read. I did not say I read it in one of the M&G reports. I also stated I didn't know if it was true or not.

I am now bringing over another report of what reportedly ticked him off from another board. I also have no clue whether or not this is true.

More info out as to why he was so CRANKY..

It seems at the M&G a fan asked him to take a pcture while she displayed...BUNNY EARS behind his head????

He answered NO... "You get what everyone else does.." AND was obviously TICKED OFF...

And can someone please tell me why on that same board there are cries of "I HATE CLIVE DAVIS AND RCA!" and "CLAY DOESN'T DESERVE TO BE TREATED THAT WAY BY CLIVE DAVIS AND RCA!" ??

I like y'all and all that - but I wouldn't take notes to begin with. It wouldn't occur to me to take notes - that's an interview, not a meet and greet. I wouldn't take a tape recorder either.

I don't see what the other report has anything to do with "I HATE CLIVE DAVIS" so I don't understand your question.

and in a small mod note

One of the boards' requests is to try not to put a negative interpretation of someone's post. Let's not go down that road.