#22: Which brings us to Clay Aiken, as most good conversations should

ldyjocelyn

Thread title poll  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should be our next poll title???

• Lordy. He is one more hunkalicious dude!
    • Brown hair and red hair and blonde hair, OH MY!
    • Is He Harboring Weapons of Mass Seduction?
    • "God help us with the dancing part."
    • I love the new hair, and the hair from last week, and the hair from next week.
    • I can pretend he's the little Shetland pony I wanted to play with as a child.
    • He is a man of many parts and all of them can park on my couch anytime!!!
    • When I pushed the Clay button, his voice pushed all of mine.

cindilu2.... oh, of course I care. Just having a discussion with Gibby and Clayzor...

I loves me some pissy Clay. :lipstick: If he gets mad at his fans I volunteer :PickMe-1: to take one for the team. He can paddle my little ass, to teach us all a lesson. :whistling-1:

Now off to fix dinner.

Nope, no way, no how, are you first in line for a paddling, Clayzor. I already took that honor upthread. :imgtongue:I love being spanked, as long as it's done by someone I lust after.

Wait, wait, wait, could we go by qualifications instead? Like maybe taking clack for 4 years and admining a broadway show discussion group for 3?

Okay, Scarlett, I agree for you to go first, but only if I get to be with Clay for a longer time. So he can make me feel better after the paddling. :naughtywag:

Gibby, OK, deal! :)*nice to be able to share our cute BF, but why do I feel like we're Spain and Portugal divvying up the new world?*

This post is from donnamom at the CH (she was the original m&g'er who told us about Clay's comments yesterday):

Still only skimming, but I think you missed the gist of why Clay is worried.

These are my opinions only!

There are two distinct problems.

1. The lights from the cameras are extremely distracting to everyone on stage. Clay said the little green light just fills up the stage. And they can see where the camera is aimed. Clay can tell when the cameras are trained on him when Angela or Quiana are performing and so can they. I do think that is why he turns away when they are performing. He’s trying something different to see what helps and you know how hard it is for him to stand still.

2. Clay is not the “star” of the production. He is a member of an ensemble. They must work together, play off each other, and work as a team. If there are problems that occur when Clay is there that hasn’t happened in the past, it could be held against him. If there is tension among the cast, that will show up in the performance. This play seems to be at its best if the cast is there to help and support each other. Just like Angela telling Clay “Chestnuts,” help from a fellow cast member might be a scene saver.

I think he is unhappy about the lack of respect for Angela's and Quiana's performances.

I think he is worried that the same lack of respect will happen at Spamalot.

I know the post is qualified with "I think", but it still seems like an awful lot of interpretation. I honestly don't think fans are going to cause those kinds of problems at Spamalot. Not to mention that Clay hasn't exactly been in a vacuum for 4 years. No doubt the people who cast him have heard about his fanbase once or twice. *g*

This post is from donnamom at the CH (she was the original m&g'er who told us about Clay's comments yesterday):

Still only skimming, but I think you missed the gist of why Clay is worried.

These are my opinions only!

There are two distinct problems.

1. The lights from the cameras are extremely distracting to everyone on stage. Clay said the little green light just fills up the stage. And they can see where the camera is aimed. Clay can tell when the cameras are trained on him when Angela or Quiana are performing and so can they. I do think that is why he turns away when they are performing. He’s trying something different to see what helps and you know how hard it is for him to stand still.

2. Clay is not the “star” of the production. He is a member of an ensemble. They must work together, play off each other, and work as a team. If there are problems that occur when Clay is there that hasn’t happened in the past, it could be held against him. If there is tension among the cast, that will show up in the performance. This play seems to be at its best if the cast is there to help and support each other. Just like Angela telling Clay “Chestnuts,” help from a fellow cast member might be a scene saver.

I think he is unhappy about the lack of respect for Angela's and Quiana's performances.

I think he is worried that the same lack of respect will happen at Spamalot.

I know the post is qualified with "I think", but it still seems like an awful lot of interpretation. I honestly don't think fans are going to cause those kinds of problems at Spamalot. Not to mention that Clay hasn't exactly been in a vacuum for 4 years. No doubt the people who cast him have heard about his fanbase once or twice. *g*

It's a Christmas miracle!!!! I agree with cindilu2!!!! :D

Anyone want to caption this picture??? B)

ohyes.jpg

eeeeeeeeeeeee finally got my wireless connection going on my laptop...eeeeeeeeeeeeee

nobody told me there was a switch I was supposed to turn on BWAH... thankfully my brother is a techie god..he gives good customer support.

so now muski - no lessons needed..we can just do this :bier:

I love 15_051103_Portland_CelebrateMeHome175fade_spotlightlover.mp3. I'm not sure whether I got it through the vault or via the person who altered it. We could have it at FCA. Let me look.......Nope, not at FCA media. It's the in CH vault, Concert_Clack/Joyful_Noise_Tour_2005/Best_of_Audio/mp-in-dc/, so I'm sure it's at CV and CU. It's at CU here: http://www.clackunlimited.com/clack/Concer...Audio/mp-in-dc/.

My Grownup Christmas list has shot up to Clay's all time top 4. OCOCE and AIW are also in his top 10. I don't know if the stats are based on the week's sales, the month, or ever, but the stability of Christmas music sales year round suggests to me that it's total sales ever. Here are some "readings" of iTunes ratings over the last year--Clay's top 10 selling singles.

A year ago (late November):

Mary, Did You Know

Bridge over Troubled Water

Solitaire

The First Noel

O Holy Night

This Is the Night

The Way

A Thousand Days

Winter Wonderland

Hark the Herald Angels Sing / O Come All Ye Faithful

January of this year:

Mary, Did You Know

Solitaire

This Is the Night

The Way

The First Noel

A Thousand Days

On the Wings of Love

O Holy Night

Invisible Video

April of this year: same as January

November 20:

Mary, Did You Know

Solitaire

The First Noel

This Is the Night

O Holy Night

The Way

A Thousand Days

On the Wings of Love

Hark the Herald Angels Sing / O Come All Ye Faithful

Today:

Mary, Did You Know

The First Noel

My Grown-Up Christmas List*

Solitaire

All Is Well*

O Holy Night

O Come O Come Emmanuel*

This Is the Night

The Way

I love 15_051103_Portland_CelebrateMeHome175fade_spotlightlover.mp3. I'm not sure whether I got it through the vault or via the person who altered it. We could have it at FCA. Let me look.......Nope, not at FCA media. It's the in CH vault, Concert_Clack/Joyful_Noise_Tour_2005/Best_of_Audio/mp-in-dc/, so I'm sure it's at CV and CU. It's at CU here: http://www.clackunlimited.com/clack/Concer...Audio/mp-in-dc/.

Thanks so much jmh, I have both of them now, with your help I found 2 compilation best of lists and found both of them. I'm trying to find songs that he has sung live that were not on MCWL to add to my super zowie Clay Christmas CD

I just want to add that I will now will make my solemn vow to use the phrase "big-girl panties" as many times as possible each day, even though the word "panties" is not in common use in Aust.

seriously the original quote should be a thread title.

Thanks so much jmh, I have both of them now, with your help I found 2 compilation best of lists and found both of them. I'm trying to find songs that he has sung live that were not on MCWL to add to my super zowie Clay Christmas CD

mp-in-dc also did a Joyful_Noise_Tour_2006 compilation as well as a Independent Tour/AI one. The latter is probably only available as a megadownload from a thread in OFC. Perhaps FCA can pick this up since it's not "exclusive OFC content" but is not available as a compilation elsewhere.

Anyone want to caption this picture??? B)

ohyes.jpg

" Ouch, these dangling participles are givin me hell tonight. wonder if some big-girl panties would help?"

Yes, I am now a postho. (got the lingo down and everything)

Here's my gut reaction to the clack flap today:

<snip>

Also, I don't think Clay wants to blog about his clack policy because to specifically discuss Spamalot, in writing, would give tacit approval to clack gathering otherwise. Just because Clay has a "look the other way" policy about clack and really doesn't mind it at his own shows, he certainly doesn't want to give it an explicit green light because of potential conflicts of interest with other musicians on stage, union restrictions, venue policies, etc. To my knowledge, he has never guaranteed the right to clack.

Your gut and my gut agree.

My thought during a fleeting visit to OFC this morning ...... I see spoiled people.

I think you have a "Sixth Sense"!

Jazzgirl You just can't unslut a slut.

What about the reformed hooker with the heart of gold? We are all "Pretty Women" - hee!

I just want to add that I will now will make my solemn vow to use the phrase "big-girl panties" as many times as possible each day, even though the word "panties" is not in common use in Aust.

Just curious, what are panties called in Australia? Bloomers? Drawers?

Anyone want to caption this picture???

How about continuing the movie theme and calling it a "When Harry Met Sally" moment?

The phrase "Big Girl Panties" reminds me of "Bridget Jones' Diary" - - -

Check out the part around 1:14

Under the category of "nobody reads my posts" I said a couple pages back that this run is going to get a lot media coverage, so we won't be totally clackless!! Thank God! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Jazzgirl

Just curious, what are panties called in Australia? Bloomers? Drawers?

Undies usually, or knickers or pants. Oh and thongs are what you might call flip flops. We refer to those instruments of torture as g-strings.

Sure, it's her interpretation of what he was thinking or feeling when he made the comments, so of course I would take it with a grain of salt. As I do all M&G reports. But she was in the room, and unless Clay chooses to blog his feelings (which I still hope he does, but I don't need him to do), the M&G reports are about all we have to go on.

I've alway been pretty upset with people who leave during Q or A's song, but I never thought about how they feel when cameras are not pointed their way. I mean, how many pieces of clack are there out there that focus on Clay only, even when he's not singing? It really explains why he is trying to stand perfectly still without expression, though, doesn't it?

Sure, it's her interpretation of what he was thinking or feeling when he made the comments, so of course I would take it with a grain of salt. As I do all M&G reports. But she was in the room, and unless Clay chooses to blog his feelings (which I still hope he does, but I don't need him to do), the M&G reports are about all we have to go on.

I've alway been pretty upset with people who leave during Q or A's song, but I never thought about how they feel when cameras are not pointed their way. I mean, how many pieces of clack are there out there that focus on Clay only, even when he's not singing? It really explains why he is trying to stand perfectly still without expression, though, doesn't it?

I agree - she is the one who heard his words, and I appreciate her POV on the tone in which he said them. But interpreting what he's thinking wanders into the category of 'I saw it in his eyes' to me. That's all.

On the disrespect towards Angela and Quiana, I couldn't agree more. I know most people are 'only there for Clay', but common decency should apply regardless. I know how I would feel and react if my friends were treated that way right in front of me - and I'd be a whole lot more blunt than he is.

Woohooo! Snow Vacation DAY! My Supervisor just called to say that the libraries aren't opening till noon and may not open at all but either way she's not going in and doesn't expect us (Tech Services staff) to either.

Too bad I've already had several cups of coffee, been out clearing the drive and am now WIDE awake! Hee.

---

Lots of interesting discussion. I don't take what Clay said to the M&G as a directive so much as information. Clay will be embarrassed and/or furious and/or pissed* if fan video of him taken during the show ends up on public sites. Simple. Choices and consequences. Someone makes the choice to take it and put it up ... the consequence is that Clay will be....*insert adjective here*

Given the history, I imagine someone will be monitoring the obvious places like youtube and that the theater itself will be vigilant in their role of policing it during the actual shows.

I never expected any video that became available to be vaulted. I think those that oversee the vaults have probably given this a lot of thought since the announcement of his run in Spamalot. I just don't see that they have much wiggle room here. Too risky for them. I don't doubt that there will be some video taken, and that it will surface somewhere. Those that feel the need to find it...will.

ldyjocelyn, I'm so thrilled that I will get to watch Todd Eldridge and Clay's skating special on Christmas day. We are doing Christmas this weekend, so I will be free on Christmas day from any obligations. WooHoo.... :clap:

Excuuuuse me Gibby and Scarlett but what happened to age before beauty? Hmmm. :8: Oh well as long as I get a turn. Just the thought of laying across his lap, with his hands and those long fingers. oooh don't go there Clayzor. Never mind. :naughtywag:

keepingfaith and Bookwhore, I figured as much, about the Hershey's kisses. I just discovered them this year. I don't buy a lot of candy, but I saw these and just had to have them. They are great. Too bad they are seasonal. It's the same with that White Chocolate Fudge Divinity ice cream that I also love. Seasonal only.

ohyes.jpg

"Hold On, I'm coming!"

I would think that, as Clay had stated about himself, Q and A are probably not even aware of what the crowd is doing while they are singing, but I'll bet that Clay IS aware, and wants the attention focused on THEM while they are performing. I think he is so proud of the girls, and wants the crowd to appreciate them as much as he does. Same with the readers he has incorporated into the concerts- I think with Clay it's all about respect for the performers. I confess that it is VERY HARD for me to look at anything BUT Clay when he is on stage- but I can't even imagine leaving the theater while Q or A are singing, or the readers are doing their thing. I think that would bother him- as evidenced by his decision to start staying on stage while Q sang her song at the DCAT concerts. I'm sure he was aware that some people were choosing that opportunity to head to the restrooms-or whatever-and he wasn't very happy about it.

Second...I disagree that it was a mistake for Clay to answer the question honestly. Clay should be able to give us his honest reactions to things without having to constantly worry about the boards blowing up...we are adults that should be able to handle our own emotions and reactions. We should be able to accept Clay's reaction to our actions and just deal with that . When people go to OFC and post their honest opinions on his shows, fans say Clay needs to hear the good and the bad...that goes to the fans too. It can;t all be...oh you guys are great I love you... If we are doing things that bother him...he should say it...and we should sit back, think about it and then react accordingly. I am not saying we should just follow what he wants, but we should at least consider it and not just get into a snit and say...he is not the boss of me...

ansamcw, love every word of your post but especially the quoted....this time, I'll try not to rinse and repeat. ;)

Just had to come with a little eeeeeeeeehhhhhhh for my New York Times which I picked up from Chapters last night....$9.00!! Holy Gawd!!

And a big EEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHH for the Spamalot commercial!! It's starting before the tour is even over! I think this is going to be just amazing for that Clay person. :dancingpickle: :04: :00000442: :laola0:

Just had to come with a little eeeeeeeeehhhhhhh for my New York Times which I picked up from Chapters last night....$9.00!! Holy Gawd!!

Heh, that has to win the prize for the most expensive NYT purchase. I thought mine was bad, but it was "only" $8.40. :lol:

This site, ScratchSpin.com, has some nice Clay pictures from the Holiday On Ice event (including some from rehearsal that I hadn't seen before). There is a disclaimer there that you need to ask permission to use them on any other site. I have dealt with this photographer before, and she is usually very good about it.