#22: Which brings us to Clay Aiken, as most good conversations should

ldyjocelyn

Thread title poll  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should be our next poll title???

• Lordy. He is one more hunkalicious dude!
    • Brown hair and red hair and blonde hair, OH MY!
    • Is He Harboring Weapons of Mass Seduction?
    • "God help us with the dancing part."
    • I love the new hair, and the hair from last week, and the hair from next week.
    • I can pretend he's the little Shetland pony I wanted to play with as a child.
    • He is a man of many parts and all of them can park on my couch anytime!!!
    • When I pushed the Clay button, his voice pushed all of mine.

" Ouch, these dangling participles are givin me hell tonight. wonder if some big-girl panties would help?"

ausdon is a naughty, naughty, FCAer. I like it.

We did a best of JNT06 over the summer. Sporking was involved. Wait a minute, I'll find the links.

And we explain why we like what we like - though sometimes it's video rather than audio. We should be able to clip the audio though.

Starting with post #1247, sporking starts gettin' serious. And Zena, check post #1457!

Good Morning All,

No ice here on the south side of Chicago, just wet and raining; which is fine with me, I hate driving in ice. It is 34 degrees.

11 Days until Christmas in Merrillville!

14 Days until The Skating Show Airs!

27 Days until The BAF Golf Outing!

38 Days until Clay is on Broadway!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

We did a best of JNT06 over the summer. Sporking was involved. Wait a minute, I'll find the links (for zena too).

And we explain why we like what we like - though sometimes it's video rather than audio. We should be able to clip the audio though.

Yep, and all recommended audio is available here. :)

The phrase "Big Girl Panties" reminds me of "Bridget Jones' Diary" - - -

Check out the part around 1:14

Under the category of "nobody reads my posts" I said a couple pages back that this run is going to get a lot media coverage, so we won't be totally clackless!! Thank God! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

As soon as I saw that Spamalot flyer in Albany, I said that the marketing & publicity for Clay is going to be very interesting, and probably all over the place. As good as the Spamalot run has been, it was nearing the end. Sales had been very sluggish. That's why they were bringing in a new "celebrity". I'm hoping they are getting all they wished for with Clay. They are certainly making the marketing campaign all about him. Now if he can bring in enough sales and raise enough excitement to keep the show going, only time will tell. It'll be great if he can and no matter how his fans act (within reason, of course) they are butts in the seats!

I always wondered why Clay gave Quiana a solo to end the first half of a concert. Although I admit I was surprised to see that so many made a rush for the door...for what.... to buy merchandise? To use the bathroom? To smoke? I'd never leave while any of them were singing. But I thought it was weird that he would do that. So he wanted more rest. But then he started staying on stage so peopel wouldn't leave..and so the cameras and attention moved to him. Five years in it's interesting to get his perspective on the clack. Have to admit some of my favorite clack is of him when he isn't singing though..going back to AI2 tour when he would be doing all kinds of fun intersting things during the intros. beebopping clay. I would always want that perpspective.as well :F_05BL17blowkiss: to the clackers. I so appreicate what ya'll have done over the years.

I always wondered why Clay gave Quiana a solo to end the first half of a concert. Although I admit I was surprised to see that so many made a rush for the door...for what.... to buy merchandise? To use the bathroom? To smoke? I'd never leave while any of them were singing. But I thought it was weird that he would do that. So he wanted more rest. But then he started staying on stage so peopel wouldn't leave..and so the cameras and attention moved to him. Five years in it's interesting to get his perspective on the clack. Have to admit some of my favorite clack is of him when he isn't singing though..going back to AI2 tour when he would be doing all kinds of fun intersting things during the intros. beebopping clay. I would always want that perpspective.as well :F_05BL17blowkiss: to the clackers. I so appreicate what ya'll have done over the years.

I have to agree, I have always loved watching Clay in the shadows *waves to lurking goldarngirl, who can attest to that fact ;) * But I could never understand why people would be so rude as to leave during the girls' songs. I know, I know, it's a CA concert, but have some respect, you know? I think Clay probably thought that Quiana would bring the house down with her number on the DCAT, and so wasn't expecting people to leave. I was glad when he decided to stay on stage...IIRC that happened the concert after Sterling Heights, where the exodus during her song was extreme and annoying.

Under the category of "nobody reads my posts" I said a couple pages back that this run is going to get a lot media coverage, so we won't be totally clackless!! Thank God! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

As soon as I saw that Spamalot flyer in Albany, I said that the marketing & publicity for Clay is going to be very interesting, and probably all over the place. As good as the Spamalot run has been, it was nearing the end. Sales had been very sluggish. That's why they were bringing in a new "celebrity". I'm hoping they are getting all they wished for with Clay. They are certainly making the marketing campaign all about him. Now if he can bring in enough sales and raise enough excitement to keep the show going, only time will tell. It'll be great if he can and no matter how his fans act (within reason, of course) they are butts in the seats!

The statement I bolded makes me a bit nervous... The fact that Clay fans are paying customers really just affect the producers of the show. If those "paying customers" behave in ways that become distracting to the actors on stage and the other theater goers...it will still affect Clay's working relationship and even his acceptance by the New York theater community. I think we should look at it this way...its like we are attending a function at our hubby's boss' house. You want to act really good to reflect well on hubby...at home you can be as relaxed as you can be...but in this setting, better watch your behavior.

Eeeeee! Red Bank! acb27d20.gif

This summer, with the amazing heat and humidity at the outdoor venues, I felt so sad that Clay could not take breaks while the girls were singing, he had to be suffering. Just because he was raised to be polite to other performers does not mean he can expect his fans to be the same (see incident in Florida). I know I enjoy Classy Clay and would like to be thought of in the same way.

I said it before and I will say it again, I respect Clay much as I respect any other poster. Clay owns his feelings and has the right to express them. I didn't see him give any orders, just express how he felt if something should happen.

Just to prove that all cameras are not always pointed to Clay....

I took these at the DC show....

quiana-dc1.jpg

quiana-dc2.jpg

quiana-dc3.jpg

I zoomed a little too much on this one.........

dcreader1.jpg

dcreader2.jpg

dcreader3.jpg

dcreader4.jpg

This one is really out of focus, but this orchestra member behind Clay was grinning for most of the concert!!

smilingorcgmem.jpg

If anyone knows who the readers are, I'd like to get the pix to them if possible!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

The statement I bolded makes me a bit nervous... The fact that Clay fans are paying customers really just affect the producers of the show. If those "paying customers" behave in ways that become distracting to the actors on stage and the other theater goers...it will still affect Clay's working relationship and even his acceptance by the New York theater community. I think we should look at it this way...its like we are attending a function at our hubby's boss' house. You want to act really good to reflect well on hubby...at home you can be as relaxed as you can be...but in this setting, better watch your behavior.

I may need my prescription for rose-coloured glasses adjusted, but I think this worry is a little extreme. Other than one or two I LOVE YOU!!!'s when he takes the stage this tour, people are enjoying the concert for the production it is. There's no way I see fans shrieking out during the middle of a play. The audience, while certainly boosted by 'us' is not going to be a concentration of Clay fans. Seems like the clack worry he's had is being extrapolated into something bigger than it is. JMO of course.

ETA: cha cha, I think the third reader is LynninNJ (of the Clayboard)

cha cha, those are cool! Thanks for posting those.

CG, thank you for your pictures too. I'm not good at captions, though....

EEEEEEEE! I've managed an upgrade for the Merrillville show -- package deal that I'm splurging on. Therefore, a couple of things: 1) I have two row P tickets for sale. $75 for both, although price is negotiable. 2) Can everyone who is going to be at Merrillville post in the thread, or at least let me know a few numbers. I don't think I can find a place for an FCA afterparty, but if I know how many are interested, it would be a start. (I'm thinking we may just have to commandeer someone's hotel room at the Radisson -- not mine, unless ya'll want to party around my sleeping husband. *g*)

I may need my prescription for rose-coloured glasses adjusted, but I think this worry is a little extreme. Other than one or two I LOVE YOU!!!'s when he takes the stage this tour, people are enjoying the concert for the production it is. There's no way I see fans shrieking out during the middle of a play. The audience, while certainly boosted by 'us' is not going to be a concentration of Clay fans. Seems like the clack worry he's had is being extrapolated into something bigger than it is. JMO of course.

You may be right...but I don't think he is only worried about the clack because all it takes is one I love you Clay...or fans standing up for him after his big number or just a group of fans that end up talking a bit too excitedly...to create negative impression with the audience or the cast. I am sure most fans will know how to behave, but at times, when people are in groups and are pretty excited, its very possible for individuals to be less inhibited. If people are just more aware of the possible pit falls...then there will be less problems. I think, based on this fandoms almost 5 year history...its reasonable to worry a bit.

I saw your post, but didn't reply to it at the time. It will be great to have media coverage! And you took some nice pics of Quiana and the readers. I took video of Quiana, too, and Clay's only in it for a moment, so not everybody focuses on Clay when he's not singing!

Just had to come with a little eeeeeeeeehhhhhhh for my New York Times which I picked up from Chapters last night....$9.00!! Holy Gawd!!

Heh, that has to win the prize for the most expensive NYT purchase. I thought mine was bad, but it was "only" $8.40. :lol:

This site, ScratchSpin.com, has some nice Clay pictures from the Holiday On Ice event (including some from rehearsal that I hadn't seen before). There is a disclaimer there that you need to ask permission to use them on any other site. I have dealt with this photographer before, and she is usually very good about it.

Oooooh, there's some nice pics in there! *rightclickandsave* He sure was relaxed about dressing for the rehearsal!

*YAWN* My poor hubby woke up in extreme pain in the middle of the night. I took him, on snowy and icy roads, to the emergency room. He had a kidney stone, which thankfully passed. Them things are painful! He's fine now. I have to work today, but I'm going in late. I hope I'll be awake enough to do my job!

Well - I finally bit the bullet and bought a ticket for Jan 18. (eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee)

Is anyone from here going??

Where's everybody staying?? Can we start a convo in the Spamalot section? :imgtongue:

Thanks for the kudos on the photos and ID for lynninnj - but where does she post?

I have a bunch of other pix of Q&A that somehow never got posted. Maybe I should make a page of all their shots. Someday......... someday.........

On my way out in a little bit to see "The Golden Compass" - looking forward to it!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

OK Merrillville goers..please check in at the thread (view new posts hee)

Unos can accomodate a group..they are open until midnight..it's less than 2 miles from the venue. I need to get a head count. If you think you can attend AFTER the concert..please check in please. Thank you.

I'm not worried about screamers and I love you clays.

Now what anybody hopes to do with the energy in the room because he's on stage I don't know. ... although I agree with Cindy that it won't be quite as potent because it's not just us. Opening and closing nights? Might be different story. I'm looking foward to seeing the show during the week.

You may be right...but I don't think he is only worried about the clack because all it takes is one I love you Clay...or fans standing up for him after his big number or just a group of fans that end up talking a bit too excitedly...to create negative impression with the audience or the cast. I am sure most fans will know how to behave, but at times, when people are in groups and are pretty excited, its very possible for individuals to be less inhibited. If people are just more aware of the possible pit falls...then there will be less problems. I think, based on this fandoms almost 5 year history...its reasonable to worry a bit.

I understand where Ansa is coming from on this one, sometimes Clay fans still like to prove that Clay is the bestest of anyone on stage, and quite frankly most of the time he probably is, however applauding longer or giving standing Os or screaming for him isn't appropriate in every setting. Hell, It even makess me cringe at the beginning of WTOW, that even just 1 person hasn't figured out it's not really appropriate to yell, "I love you,Clay" at the top of her lungs at the quiet beginning of that song. And because the audience might not be primarily us for Spamalot, would possibly make OTT behavior of just one fan stand out more.

I'll add that I've heard that their is some room for adlib and audience interaction in Spamalot, so possibly if someone shouts out "I love you, Clay" during the play, a castmate might just pop in with, "Sir, Robin, clearly you are loved" or maybe they will decide ahead of time that if and when there is a shoutout they will "fart in his direction" Sorry, couldn't resist, hopefully you and Couchie are right Cindilu and there's nothing to worry about.

Interesting discussion - reminds me of the little classes I had to attend when I joined a group that sold software overseas - we had lists of what the "natives" were like, and lists about just how much people were annoyed by Americans, and how to avoid acting American. Used to kinda put me off, really.

So anyway, first I was on-site a lot in Den Haag, then a little bit in Denmark, and a little bit in Portugal, and then my favorite - and the place everybody was so sure that it would be difficult to be accepted in - Tokyo.

Here is what I came back with, and it really does apply to the current situation, for me -

- There are boorish Americans. There are also quite rude and boorish Dutch, Danish, Portuguese, and Japanese.

No one country has a lock on the top prize there, believe me. I actually have heard that New Yorkers can be quite rude, and some can be, but like anywhere else, most are not.

- It is really not useful to think an entire country (or audience) is in any way homogenous, both are made up of quite disparate individuals. Yes, there are customs, but I never saw much National Behavior.

And the theater audience is not gonna be made up exclusively fabulous genteel new Yorkers, there will be LOTS of tourists. From all over the world. I hate to see what looks to me like a bit of intimidation for some, as if they were being graciously albeit a tad regretfully allowed into some sacred sanctum because they are clutching money.

- I always found that just being polite was the best thing. That's really all anyone expects, and again, I ran into some outrageously rude people in other countries, and their compatriots were aghast, just as we are at people yelling I Love You Clayyyyyyyy.

- heeee.....I never went to the "How to Make Yourself Tolerable to the Japanese" class, I went for the first time on two days notice, for six weeks, and did just fine, I was asked back many more times. I acted like I did when I attended some Broadway shows - politely.

eta - and when everyone stood and applauded, I did too, and sometimes I was among the first to do so, because I LOVE the theater, a performance would have to be really really bad for me not to at least be entertained, I am verklempt just because there are people singing and dancing right there, right in front of me! When I was in high school, we had lots of field trips to the theater in Philly, too, it was grand, lots of shows stopped there before going on to Broadway.

I love that Clay couched his concerns in the terms he did; it is too bad there need be concerns, but I guess there are.

I dunno, I think applauding longer and standing O's for a great performance are prolly kinda why they wanted Clay for this production. I guess the good thing is it's a raucous comedy and there will be lots of noise in any case. I'm just not gonna worry about it any more.

IMHO, it is all about respect... respect for Clay and respect for everyone who works so hard to bring the audience a great play.

I'm more worried about the "it's all about mememe" people that always have to yell out "I love you, Clay" than I am about clack takers cause anyone brave enough to take clack on Broadway are gonna have all lights covered and be VERY discreet so as not to get caught.

*wonders who replaced Ansa with a worrier version of the same person*

I can understand where Ansa is coming from, I just don't quite share her concerns, basically, because I very rarely worry about Clay, even in regards to his career.

Having said that, I do have a few comments regarding some fan's behaviors...

1) I also understand where djs is coming from, it's a major generalization about "ugly Americans" and such. And yet, the Clay fandom unfortunately does have a bit of a reputation, and everyone suffers because of it. It's a sad fact in this fandom -- and totally unfair.

2) I do believe that there has been a learning curve in the past few years regarding behavior during concerts. Case in point: ICMYLM (from the JBT 2005) and LAA (from this past summer). Two soft, gentle concert performances...and one was totally marred more often than not by "I LOVE YOU CLAY!!!!!" Didn't happen this summer, and that made me happy.

3) As far as Broadway goes, I'm expecting some loud raucous applause the first time Clay appears on stage at every single performance, just because he's "the star brought in to save the show," IMO. I also think the first week will be a "break in" period as well, for all involved -- Clay, the cast (whom I will guess may do like atinal suggests) and the audience. Past that first week though, it will be interesting to see what happens.

I dunno, I think applauding longer and standing O's for a great performance are prolly kinda why they wanted Clay for this production. I guess the good thing is it's a raucous comedy and there will be lots of noise in any case. I'm just not gonna worry about it any more.

I agree, but I also think it may depend on WHOSE great performance we're talking about. Sure, I believe Clay is going to give a great performance, but I also dearly hope that they can spread the love (when warranted) to the rest of the castmates.

I think, in the end, I'm just going to let this all play out. I'm a "go with the flow" person. And I know full well that I can't change any of the Clay Nation with my opinions.

bottlecap -- BWAH!!!!

I agree, but I also think it may depend on WHOSE great performance we're talking about. Sure, I believe Clay is going to give a great performance, but I also dearly hope that they can spread the love (when warranted) to the rest of the castmates.

Yep, my concerns are not really about people showing too much love to Clay with applause and even standing ovations after his solo, because I don't see anything wrong with that, and like cindilu2, think that's one reason they wanted him for the part. I just hope people can truly, honestly realize that he is only a PART of the cast, and not the only one on the stage, or God forbid the "star of the show". I remember some (and by some, mean a very few) rude people sitting in my row in Las Vegas, who talked loudly amongst themselves and also talked loudly into the phone while skaters were performing, but Clay was not on stage singing. I know a skating arena is not Broadway, but you get my drift. :P

Yep, my concerns are not really about people showing too much love to Clay with applause and even standing ovations after his solo, because I don't see anything wrong with that, and like cindilu2, think that's one reason they wanted him for the part. I just hope people can truly, honestly realize that he is only a PART of the cast, and not the only one on the stage, or God forbid the "star of the show". I remember some (and by some, mean a very few) rude people sitting in my row in Las Vegas, who talked loudly amongst themselves and also talked loudly into the phone while skaters were performing, but Clay was not on stage singing. I know a skating arena is not Broadway, but you get my drift. :P

I think sometimes I just don't express what I mean very well, but I think Luckiest and Ldyj said it better.