#23: Lordy. He is one more hunkalicious dude!

Ansamcw

Thread Title Poll  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• It is more than just the vox and the humor and the gahness!
    • Somewhere out there Clay is looking cute and talking with an accent and practicing a dance.
    • In so many ways, Clay has made me throw my sanity to the wind.
    • Clay is just standing out there with his naked voice, balls proud, singing his heart out without a safety net.
    • "Them desire prospered New Year"
    • He's one yummy man from any angle I look at him.
    • I just betcha "Sir Robin" is going to fit his Clayness like a second skin.

duckyvee, I have to admit, it tickled me that this was one of the few times Clay really isn't concentrating on the camera - he is tilting his head a little to the side to get a clear view.

{{{{{merrieeee}}}}}

I see your point, kf, but I have to admit different areas of my life see totally different personas - they're just all named the same. The me at my office is a completely different creature than the one dancing madly to get Clay's attention, which is totally different than the one who read fairy tales to my son. Wait, that last one did have a different name. That was "Paul's Mom". There are a few hundred people absolutely convinced that's my name. Integration of personas works for a lot of people; compartmentalization works for others. I have no idea which works for Clay, though I think he strays toward the compartment side, with his insistence on who gets to call him Clayton...

Though you are absolutely right on the "marketing" and "labels" and stuff - hell, Michaelangelo vs the Pope wasn't even the beginning...

OK, I am cleaning today. I swear I will finish unpacking from the Summer tour. I will shampoo the carpets. I will wash everything in the house (except for the cats. I believe them when they tell me cat spit keeps them clean.)

About this urban rural thing, and I'm not disputing anyone's experience or observations, and I don't know Clay, so I really don't know what his experience was. Like most folks, I'm going to see the world through my own filters. I grew up in Raleigh, within the city limits, in a neighborhood of little 50's boxes, but the road in front of the house I grew up in wasn't paved for as long as I lived there. Across the street was a vacant field; it still is, according to google maps. Our house was different from most of the homes of the relatives we went to visit in more rural areas, and I grew up thinking that indoor bathrooms were invented in the 50's and my family just happened to be the first to get one. As a teenager I worked in a summer camp out where Clay grew up, a decade before he was born; we rode for about a half-hour on a camp bus with all the kids, and at the time it was wooded land all the way. That would later become "north Raleigh" and the area is quite developed now, and I don't know where Clay's family stood in that process. Raleigh has grown tremendously in a few decades, as has the whole region. It has always been the state capitol, and there have always been wealthy and sophisticated people there, but I wasn't raised among them. For me, it's easy to see how someone could grow up in Raleigh and still feel deep down like a country bumpkin, and that hasn't changed for me despite lots of education and world travel. Sophistication is something I will just never have or be. I really have no idea if Clay is like me or not, and how much of his schtick is how he really feels and how much is an act. I know he's not stupid, anymore than I am, and I know he's far more qualified to run his career than the sophisticated folks who noticed that his jacket flap wasn't clipped, and who are so quick to point out all his other various fashion no-nos, and I'm sure they cringe at and mock people like me too, who just don't understand the "right" things to do, which was what I was agreeing to in ldyjocelyn's post.

I'm really enjoying all these conversations today, nodding along...had to add my two bits worth to this one.

I completely agree, jmh123; I also think that what contributes to Clay's feeling that he is "country" (not musically, but "ethnically" :) if you will) is the fact that he did, and I think still does, spend a great deal of time at his Granny/Papa's farm, which definitely is country. Influences from his Mom would also contribute to that~he was brought up in a "country" environment, because that's where Faye's comfort level was. Means nothing in respect to his intelligence, which is undeniable.

Got y'all beat though...:).....town of 400 up to age 18, 40 minutes away from the "big city" of about 25,000. My elementary school had three rooms for six grades. There were about 60 of us all told in the school. When I went "into town" for jr. high and high school, my graduating class was about 60 people. Never considered myself to be stupid. Did consider myself for many years to be "superior" to those dumb city folks that couldn't even tell the difference between skunk and porcupine tracks, and where to pick the best asparagus. :cryingwlaughter: And city folks walk funny. I probably still walk like a country girl. :cryingwlaughter:

...and, BTW, now live very near one of the largest metropolitan areas in the world, and love it!

Well I can surely relate to the misconceptions of southern, rural or country bumpkin people. A lot of people think people from Arkansas are just stupid hillbillies with no teeth and who have sex with their relatives, after consuming mass quantities of moonshine. They obviously haven't seen some of mine. No way I would go near some of them. Just kidding :cryingwlaughter:

jmh, I didn't know you were from Raleigh. Do you still live there? I got to drive through part of Raleigh, on our trip covering the East, a couple of years ago. It didn't seem like a small hick town, from what little of it I got to see. I was really bummed by the fact that I couldn't go pick a blade a grass out of Faye's yard. :cryingwlaughter:

The banner is nice cindi.

One of my favorite skaters was Paul Wiley. I would liken him to being the Clay of skating. His skating was intense and it was perfection when it came to interpreting the song he was skating to. I miss seeing him in the skating world. I don't follow skating religiously, but I sure enjoy the talent and skill it takes to figure skate the way they do, and make it look so easy. It is not easy. It is hard work.

I watched Rock Star last night with Jennifer Aniston and Mark Wahlberg. Turns out he didn't think being a rockstar was all it was cracked up to be. He chucked the rock band to go off and do his own thing. Hmmm!

KAndre, don't work too hard. I should be doing more housework, but I am going to watch a movie instead. Proof Of Life. Meg Ryan and Russell Crowe. I'm really enjoying my Christmas vacation from work. Later girls.

{{{{Merrieeee}}}}

Keepingfaith... as usual, I agree with your common sense. I do think, tho, that the whole Clay/Clayton thing is just a way to describe how he is when off the stage. When he does UNICEF/BAF stuff, he doesn't wear makeup, he often wears his glasses, seems like he does his own hair, he's his natural self. When he's "working" his job, as he calls it, he turns it on in some way that is amazing to watch. Makeup goes on, hair done, good or bad, by someone else, etc. Is he the same person... yes, absolutely. It's just an easy way to describe the difference between his two sides... on stage Clay and off stage Clayton. It just seemed like this tour melded the two a bit, appearance wise and I wondered if it was intentional or accidental. Only the future will tell.

KAndre... your comentary CMSU big time! I would love to just watch tv with you sometime. FUN!!!

Interesting discussion about the nails on the chalkboard words. The ones that bug me are ones that people I love and respect use, so I just ignore them. Here's my list: flove, pretties (referring to pictures), hates (with a first person subject). I could go on, but it doesn't matter. I can smile and gloss over them. I don't mind the word narrative, because it's meaning is relevant, IMO. I can see the role it plays in an industry built on image and backstory. I just don't think it applies much to Clay, as he doesn't fall in line with that sort of thing. I don't mind organic, either, really. Again, I think it can be descriptive in a useful way. What bothers me is hearing fans use those words in a way that sounds like bullshit, but in an of themselve, the words don't bother me.

Musical direction - I'm tired of reading about it, and it seems that Clay isn't fond of it either, but I think it has its value. I like to think about Clay's musical direction, not that I know what it is, will be, or think there is something it should be.

NJU - I get that one, and can see why fans who want Clay's audience to grow would be interested in the NJU. I don't think it means they are more valuable than the "Just us," but that they are an indicator of a more widepread popularity than is evident, which is useful. Men and tweens fit the NJU bill, because for the most part, the "Just us" are neither. Doesn't mean they're worth more, at least I don't take it that way.

What I dislike more than any single word, phrase, or concept, is the contentious quality of the discussions. One of the things I most appreciate about FCA is the lack of that quality here for the most part. I don't need or want agreement, but I appreciate a fair give and take without judgment, and this is the only place I've found that.

Did consider myself for many years to be "superior" to those dumb city folks that couldn't even tell the difference between skunk and porcupine tracks, and where to pick the best asparagus. :cryingwlaughter: And city folks walk funny. I probably still walk like a country girl. :cryingwlaughter:

Good attitude!! BWAH!

Well I can surely relate to the misconceptions of southern, rural or country bumpkin people. A lot of people think people from Arkansas are just stupid hillbillies with no teeth and who have sex with their relatives, after consuming mass quantities of moonshine. They obviously haven't seen some of mine. No way I would go near some of them. Just kidding :cryingwlaughter:

:cryingwlaughter: Arkansas gets an extra dose of disrespect, that's for sure.

Back where my daddy grew up (in NC), there were about 16 people in his school (K-12), and people really did marry their relatives (cousins) (there wasn't anyone who wasn't a relative to marry); and if your wife or husband died young, you married their brother or sister.

jmh, I didn't know you were from Raleigh. Do you still live there?

Nope, but my mother does, and I go there a lot.

Coincidentally to the topic, I just read this review in the NY Times of Roy Blount's Long Time Leaving. Interesting perspective on being a southerner up north, as I was for a long time.

KF..liked your post re: Clay/Claton.

or the "Neeeeeeeed" on UM,

I keep telling ya'll the extra special word in that song is not neeeeeeeed but the "I" that follows it. Gets me every time. :cryingwlaughter:

Anyway, after listening to a lot of good music, and a few clunkers, all day, Clay stood out as one I would want to hear again, back flap and all.

heee

Amateur :cryingwlaughter:

bwah... and I love a girl that pulls out the baseball stats. Basketball had a new one that they were pushing this year but now that I think about it I think they dropped it. I remember the booth guys thinking it was stupid..maybe that's why. ..oh yeah... it's 20 minutes left in the game and they start saying what the odds are they will win. LIke who cares, let's just call the game shall we..we'll know in half hour if they won.

Oh and back to the "nails on the chalkboard" list...I would like to add "Up Tempo"...still have no idea what people mean by that.

Kim

heeee it means not SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

OK, I am cleaning today. I swear I will finish unpacking from the Summer tour. I will shampoo the carpets. I will wash everything in the house (except for the cats. I believe them when they tell me cat spit keeps them clean.)

Heee a lot of you are cracking me up today. I can't believe you're just unpacking from DCAT I intend to add "cleaning my room" to the list of things I need done by Wednesday morning. I always talk about my mom being a pack rat but I guess I am as well in my own way. It's just not supid shit like her stuff is :cryingwlaughter: So this weekend, a big box of books will be going to goodwill... I will go through 2 very large boxes of video tapes that have been sitting under my bed for at least 6 years (surely the Practice is out on DVD..I don't need to have the first three seasons collecting dust do I), do I really need to keep all of the Oakland A's 20 games win streak, or Kob'e games during his 40 points streak? LOL. I am shipping off all of my old soap tapes to somebody who does things with them..I've been promising to do that for years. Yep time to get rid of the clutter conveniently ignoring the book shelf full of Clay CDs and DVDs.

:cryingwlaughter: And city folks walk funny. I probably still walk like a country girl. :cryingwlaughter:

...and, BTW, now live very near one of the largest metropolitan areas in the world, and love it!

FromClaygary, you're mighty cool for a country girl :F_05BL17blowkiss: Damn, now I need to see you walk again hee.

does anyone still live in very small towns... or is there such a thing with the way technology is today. Oh wait..Ansa you can answer that heee.

I was really bummed by the fact that I couldn't go pick a blade a grass out of Faye's yard. :cryingwlaughter:

I watched Rock Star last night with Jennifer Aniston and Mark Wahlberg.

heee regarding blade of grass... I love Mark Wahlberg... he's a damn good actor. He was serious about it and kept working at his craft. Wasn't he a New Kid on the Block. Was anybody a fan way back in the day? And would you have expected this for him?

Interesting discussion about the nails on the chalkboard words. The ones that bug me are ones that people I love and respect use, so I just ignore them. Here's my list: flove, pretties (referring to pictures), hates (with a first person subject).

NJU - I get that one, and can see why fans who want Clay's audience to grow would be interested in the NJU. I don't think it means they are more valuable than the "Just us," but that they are an indicator of a more widepread popularity than is evident, which, is useful. Men and tweens fit the NJU bill, because for the most part, the "Just us" are neither. Doesn't mean they're worth more, at least I don't take it that way.

heee..ok I just used pretties last night. Hee..it'sw contagious because it's certainly not a word I've ever used before.

Here's my thing about the NJU... they are right there in every concert but it seems we care more about them in theory because I feel the chatter that goes along with a Clay Aiken concert is not conducive to bringing them back in the future. And I also notice that when one is found in an audience they are attacked with well meaning fans trying to get them online as if that is the only place to be. At a Clay Aiken concert, let Clay do the clayverting. This is a pet peeve of mine. Or just hand them a CNN card. If they want to find the "wonderfulness" that is the boards, they will.

Just had to add a UNICEF update!

Now up to 70% $70,427

:dancingpickle: :04: :00000442:

Keep those cards and letters coming!!

Whoo hooo.... OK I have 3 more days to "find" a donation. LOL...

OK forgot to add..somebody gave us..have no clue why...all this fresh roasted granola..what the hell do I do with it besides eat it as a snack or throw in yogurt.

ETA: I grew up in the Bay Area so large metro area. I grew up so different from my mom -- Estill SC... population in 2006 was 2386...although frankly I think this is one of those towns where they lose poplation every year.

I think there's a Southern culture thing going on regarding the rural meme. I was born in a city with half a million people which has grown to a metropolitan area of between 5 and 6 million today, and Houston remains a series of loosely connected small town neighborhoods to me. Strangers talk to each other in department stores and food markets. I rarely walk around downtown without someone approaching me to ask directions, which often turns into a chat. I was born in The Heights when all the neighbors were from Texas rural areas -- people who grew up on farms and ranches who came to the city to work during WWII. They bought the houses and cars produced in the 50's and stayed in the city to provide their children with a better education and more opportunity. But the relatives who stayed in the country were barely enjoying rural electrification, and using primitive phones under the inquisitive eyes of Miss Annie who plugged people in from her living room in town (my grandmother's ring was two shorts and a long), baths in the big gray washtubs on the back porch, which also contained my grandmother's wringer washing machine, just yards from the water well, and far from the outhouse beyond the railroad tracks. And the family would gather together when the city cousins were visiting to play dominoes or 42 on Saturday night in my grandmother's parlor and it was the most entertaining, wittiest, most clever and intelligent way of expressing thoughts and ideas that I've ever been exposed to, and included monumental political arguments, wonderful storytelling, and laughing until we hurt. When I'd sleep with my grandmother, who was always ancient, we would lie in her big feather bed and she would teach me poems and saying from her youth, or she'd have me memorize whole chapters from the Bible. I remember being 8 years old and memorizing Isaiah 53. I so vividly remember a favorite uncle who never cracked a smile and never made a serious comment. And then there were the walks down the rr tracks picking blackberries for cobblers, or going to the country church on Sunday morning that my great-great grandparents had donated the land for a hundred or so years before, and my grandmother always cooking for the visiting preacher every Sunday afternoon. And, it was a matriarcal society. Women ruled and the men complied, and hid their beer. I remember a little red-headed girl with glasses and freckles who lived close to the church, and whom I saw every time I went up there. When we were about nine she was reviewing a movie she had seen as a typical "farce" and I didn't know what that meant, so she explained. I always learned things from her, somehow she was always ahead of the game. I always learned stuff when we went to East Texas, sometimes stuff I didn't want to learn like wringing a chicken's neck. I also learned that no one at church could carry a tune and they sang through their noses, which is why to this day I can't listen to white people singing hymns like In the Garden, Shall We Gather at the River, or I'll Fly Away (with all the motions), and especially Just As I Am for a hundred verses. But the place abounded with original thought. The food was wonderful -- and yes I know we should all have died from food poisoning since the fried chicken sat out on the table all day covered with a cloth, but we survived. And the little red-headed girl came to the city after she graduated from that country town school, then with highest honors from UT/Austin, followed by law school -- and she married a lawyer, and has a son who is now one of the political kingmakers in the state. Not that I agree with a damn thing they now espouse. I guess what I'm saying here is that the rural experience was rich and real for me and definitely enhanced my life and made me a better person. I think that everything I learned I learned hiding behind the counters in my uncle's general store and listening to the people going in and out and discussing their lives and being so open and loving with each other -- before I ever went to kindergarten in the city.

And it always floors me when people think that Clay's high-pitched giggle isn't manly -- oh yes it is!! It's the man with a great sense of humor laugh, the practical joker laugh, and I've heard it all my life.

{{{{Merrieeee}}}} I'm so sorry.

OK, so am I the only person who preferred Clay's body this summer, more filled out and with the no so double chin? And prefer him with light colored hair and no bangs? And don't mind glasses if he feels he needs them? Ok, then, that goes pretty far in explaining why I am out of step with 95% of the fandom.

You are not the only one. I didn't realize how much I didn't like the bangs until he started wearing it off his forehead with his glasses. He looks very natural to me now both with his light hair and his glasses.

I was happy to see the cheekbones back but the extra weight looked just fine on him...to me.

I agree - while it was nice to see the reappearance of the cheekbones and a little more definition back in the jawline, the extra weight looked just fine on him this summer. Mighty fine..... :hubbahubba: The man was so far from FAT, it's not even funny....

As for the hair, I'm easy. Although I think I did go into shock :blink: for a bit when we didn't see him for so long and then he surprised everyone on the AI finale! Wow!!! Must admit that I really, really liked the hair when he came back out after intermission in Merrillville with it brushed back off his face a bit. Yum!

heee regarding blade of grass... I love Mark Wahlberg... he's a damn good actor. He was serious about it and kept working at his craft. Wasn't he a New Kid on the Block. Was anybody a fan way back in the day? And would you have expected this for him?

Ack! New Kids on the Block! :P Oh my..... Technically, no, Mark wasn't a NKOTB - his older brother Donnie was. But Mark did end up traveling with them for a while as an opening act - Marky Mark & the Funky Bunch.... hehehehe.... Donnie eventually went into acting, too - he played the guy in the beginning of the Sixth Sense. I think he works in production now.

I grew up in a town of 1500...66 in my graduating class...very rural community. My dad was the County Supervisor for the Farmer's Home Administration....that's what I mean by rural! :) Most of my friends lived in the country until they came in to "town" school during Jr. High. Wow...that was interesting. One of my best friends, now, talks about how it felt to come in to town and how we didn't even become friends until our moms did...I don't remember her in Jr. High at all. Apparently, us townies were kind of a snobby bunch...I dunno.

I now live in a "city" of 25,000....and, believe it or not, it is no different than living in my home town. People know me, say hi, and know every.freaking.thing about everyone...so....it's a small town with lots of people...or lots of people compared to where I grew up.

I went to Houston this past summer....I was amazed at how all these little towns form the big town. I was also stunned when we went to dinner before seeing Spamalot (on a Friday, no less) and downtown Houston was so quiet. I found out later that there was a baseball game that night. The other thing I loved about Houston was all the beautiful flowers and trees downtown. Denver always seems like a concrete jungle to me....so I appreciated the trees and flowers.

* Waves from lurkdom*

I bring presents.

I actually created these two screencaps the other night. ( Yep, this happens when I got to much time on my hands!)

I didn't tag these screencaps...

071218_icenetwork_SashaTeachesCl-2.jpg

071218_icenetwork_SashaTeachesCl-1.jpg

I just marvel at his um.... Great flexibility! :hubbahubba:

* Runs back to lurkdom*

Love Ya

Philly

I loved your story, keepingfaith, but these old eyes could use a little white space. Loved your last line about Clay's laugh. Oh yes, that's how I'd describe it, too. And I adore his laugh.

Couchie

OK forgot to add..somebody gave us..have no clue why...all this fresh roasted granola..what the hell do I do with it besides eat it as a snack or throw in yogurt.

It tastes good mixed with butter and sugar and baked on top of fruit cobbler...only, when it's got granola instead of a crust, folks call it a "crisp". Here's a recipe I've never tried, but it sounds about right:

You can make a fruit crisp using only 4 ingredients. All you need is your favorite pie filling, granola, butter, and brown sugar. Pour the pie filling into a greased 9 inch pan. Then mix the other 3 ingredients and place on top. Bake at 350 until the topping gets crispy.

Other uses: with milk as cereal, either alone or mixed with other cereal.

You can also use it in place of graham crackers in a pie crust.

Give it to someone else. heh

Google granola bread for recipes.

Feed it to the birds.

Or you could, you know, throw it away. Depending on what's in it, it may pack some serious calories.

Love the screencaps, Philly! I enjoyed that behind the scenes stuff so much!

Small town? Okay, I graduated from Littlefield High School with a senior class of 36 kids. I think our total enrollment was around 400.

Defying and denying labels and niches and genres, and all the places the world wants to put you and keep you, is a part of the artistic consciousness, not to mention human development, and I shake my head whenever I hear an artist being asked to define himself or explain himself. My guess is you'll get snark every damn time. Including from Clay. Especially from Clay.

keepingfaith, I THINK this is part of your lovely post...but I copied it so long ago, I've forgotten! I've always thought Clay receives questions about his 'musical direction' and what 'category' he's in with a lot of unexpressed eye rolling and other less gentile gestures. Heh. 'Cuz they're kinda silly questions.

Dumb Interview Person: "How would you categorize your music, Clay? Are you moving in the musical direction you want to pursue?"

Exasperated Clay: "You like my singing?"

DIP: "Wulll....yeah, but...!"

EC: "All righty, then...keep listening!"

:cryingwlaughter:

And I'll go with the Clay who DOES like to keep some kind of separation between the public Clay and the private Clayton. They're not different PEOPLE--the heart, the voice, and yes---even the multiple physical incarnations are the same---, but they do carry with them different boundaries of familiarity and access. And I think that's REALLY smart. If preferring that only certain people call him "Clayton" helps Clay mindful of that difference and keeps his world sane, then I say go for it, baby!

Have a great day, all! :F_05BL17blowkiss: Hubby and I are off for a day at the movies and browsing in bookstores! :clap:

Should it bother me when people who don't know him think it's ok to call him "Clayton"...'cause it does....a lot. I respect him for wanting to keep Clayton to those who have always known him and will continue to know him outside this crazy world of celebrity.

Had to remark about this because I only know this singer named Clay. Clay Aiken. That's the name I first heard for him on AI and it's the name on the tickets. I never thought Clayton was a different person, only that Clayton had shortened his name to Clay because the name "Clay Aiken" has a certain star quality to it -- and he was going for it. I don't think there's another persona when he's performing. He can be silly and teasing, most often at his own expense. He can be a prankster on stage, and I've watched the person once named Clayton Grissom do the same things on Hometown Connection. I've seen old photos and videos when he had dark brown hair, auburn hair, brighter red hair, glossy blond hair, and he's worn it straight or permed, in various cuts and styles, and frequently changed back and forth, from what I can see. That's the same guy. So I don't get it so much when people say that he's going back to Clayton with lighter hair combed off the face and glasses. Going through all the combinations of however he can look, one by one, seems to be a lifelong journey for him. Maybe he'll settle on something and stay with it for a while, or maybe he'll have different looks for different tours, depending on his mood. Also, I think the man that takes the stage with command, control and who oozes charm and confidence, with a mastery of the limelight, and inimitable instincts for comedy -- that's Clayton too -- same guy. I see him as having a large personality that encompasses his time on the stage or in the public eye. I understand the way he feels about what people call him. I go by a nickname with 3/4 of the people I know. But quite a few old friends and family call me by my given name. I would think it totally weird if people started calling me something different from what they normally do, and I'm the same person regardless of what I'm called. Yeah, I know that was a straight line you could drive a truck through!

Anyway, my umpteenth reiteration of love and admiration for Clay is upon me. I'm refusing to put limits on him in my mind and imagination, so I don't think he should limit himself. He's capable of whatever he wants to do and he's been demonstrating that quite handily for a few years. Of course, I don't see him as a rock star -- but then I don't see anybody as a rock star anymore. Jim Morrison was a rock star. Bono was a rock star. The Beatles were musical genius. Clay is a singer who happens to be a pop star, among other things, and as a pop star the sky's the limit for him. He can move around and explore different types of music under the pop umbrella and I expect him to do just that in his long and winding career, a career unbound by the definitions and limitations of others -- hopefully.

Maybe the phrase I'm most tired of hearing is musical direction (and marketing). The fight of artists to deny labeling is a long one. One of my favorite Dylan moments was at a San Francisco airport press conference in 1965(?) when a reporter asked him if he was a folk singer and Bob said, "I've always thought of myself as a song and dance man." The snark on his face was unforgettable and it was a great moment. Defying and denying labels and niches and genres, and all the places the world wants to put you and keep you, is a part of the artistic consciousness, not to mention human development, and I shake my head whenever I hear an artist being asked to define himself or explain himself. My guess is you'll get snark every damn time. Including from Clay. Especially from Clay.

I have read over several pages about Sasha telling Clay that he's cute -- but I am missing this completely. Can someone direct me to this -- please, please, please -- because I would love to see it. I thought they had some cute, flirty chemistry together. I liked it when Clay asked her where she lives. He was trying to be nonchalant, but I think he was really interested in knowing.

I am one, btw, if anyone cares, who prefers pop star Clay -- Summer Tour, JBT, etc. -- to Christmas Clay. I love Christmas, but traditional Christmas music for me is Tchaikovsky. And when I feel the need for a closer walk, Beethoven takes me there. But no composer or artist living or dead can deliver the kind of thrills and chills that I can get just from watching clack of Clay walking down those JBT stairs singing "Now if you feel like you can't go on ..." , and the swooning that overtakes me when I hear him sing "Without You" or "Broken Wings" or "Everything I Do" or "Run To Me" and so many others. I know that Clay is the real deal, and I know his appeal is different for different people. It's fascinating for me to discover what it is about him that others love. I know what it is for me, but, Jesus, the man covers a lot of territory. That's no niche artist.

kf, I loved your post. I have never gotten the "This is Clayton" part. It usually happens when he looks a bit dorky - glasses, flat hair, that kind of thing. Funny, I don't remember anyone saying that about him when he went to Afghanistan and he looked all kinds of hot with the beard and all. But I think Clay, like most of us, doesn't show everyone everything about himself all the time. I think there are parts of all of us we reserve for those we are closest to - good friends, family. Those parts usually tend to be our most personal, vulnerable parts. I am sure Clay is no different.

Thing is, I think his UNICEF trips are not that part of him. These are public appearances when you think about it. They are covered by press of some sort each and every time. After all, isn't that the whole idea of his trips to raise the public's awareness? If he happens to look more like a "dork" and less like a pop star it is probably more because he isn't traveling with a hair dresser and not wearing make-up.

While i do believe there is a part of Clay we'll never see (no, not that part!), I think UNICEF Clay is very much Clay the pop star, the Clay he WANTS us to see.... even if he does look a bit dorky from to time.

Okay, are you guys serious about an FCA/Spam pin? Doing Clay on Broadway? Is the 'Spamalot' name going to be a copyright problem?

I know I am serious! If "Spamalot" would be a copyright problem, we could always just do "Doing Clay on Broadway" or as muski suggested "Doing Clay on the Great White Way", or something like that.

We really MUST do the third in the continuing series! This is a HUGE event in Clay's like and career and I for one would love to have a pin to commemorate it.

Okay, are you guys serious about an FCA/Spam pin? Doing Clay on Broadway? Is the 'Spamalot' name going to be a copyright problem?

Yes, please. How about something along the lines of "Finding Sir Robin" with the chicken logo and the FCA mascot :lilredani: ? I also like the idea mentioned earlier of incorporating a theater marquee.

Sir_Robin2.jpgspamsmilie.gif

Just the term and the significance it has taken on in the fandom. I think some fans have handed over much of their enjoyment of Clay to this hazy, undefined group. I think an inordiante amount of time is spent fretting over what the "NJU" (just typing that felt icky) think ... as if they are this monolithic group that will somehow have their collective heads turned if only Clay would do this and such.

I don't mind an occaistional story that tells us how far the reach is to tohers, but when I go to a conceert, it is all about me ME ME ME ME ME. If one of the NJUs is in my way, it is their problem.

I see your point, kf, but I have to admit different areas of my life see totally different personas - they're just all named the same. The me at my office is a completely different creature than the one dancing madly to get Clay's attention, which is totally different than the one who read fairy tales to my son. Wait, that last one did have a different name. That was "Paul's Mom". There are a few hundred people absolutely convinced that's my name. Integration of personas works for a lot of people; compartmentalization works for others. I have no idea which works for Clay, though I think he strays toward the compartment side, with his insistence on who gets to call him Clayton...

See, you stole my thunder here. My office management persona was kind of not me. It was something I would don before going to work in the morning, where I had to be decisive (so not me) and state everything I thought as if it was absolute fact and not to be questioned, while being open and friendly, which is more me. I worked with a lot of guys and had to fight to be heard, so I develeoped this aleternate persona which is made up of other parts of me - part dog trainer issuing commands I fully expect to be obeyed and part sailor where the decision of which sail to use can make or break your day/life. I treated people with respect even though I knew they were blowhards that should be stomped on and expected them to do the same to me - hence the shouting match with the head of IT in one large company who expected me to call him Mr Soandso while he could address me by my first name as if I were a child and accuse me of lying when he got the story wrong. I quit and walked out in the middle of the day hearing him say that I could not quit because he fired me and he had to call me in the evening to apologize and ask me to come back. I love moments like that. I guess it helped when I told human resourcesl that I contacted a lawyer about harrassment.

I see that kind of personal change with Clayton to Clay - he becomes aware of the media around him (no notes) and pays a smidge more attention to appearance (doesn't always seem to remember) than Clayton who I don't think ever looks in a mirror.

Another beautiful day that is going to fall apart, have to get out there and enjoy.

ETA

Should it bother me when people who don't know him think it's ok to call him "Clayton"...'cause it does....a lot. I respect him for wanting to keep Clayton to those who have always known him and will continue to know him outside this crazy world of celebrity.

It is all about respect - respect for person and that person's decisions.

I don't think that cousins marrying is just a Southern thing. It's been a practice of the landed gentry and royalty for centuries -- you know, keeping it all in the family. Lot of famous cousins have married and off the top of my head I'm thinking of Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt ... and they were blood cousins, too, and not Southerners.

jj -- thanks so much for the tip on you're so cute -- they both look so cute.

00lsee, you're so right about the white space. I get carried away in stream of consciousness sometimes a lot and lose all sense of spacing.

Why am I watching AI Rewind's Best of the Worst -- again -- just to hear Clay's voice? It's totally irritating to watch the show, but I love to hear his voice. I'm pathetic and I don't understand it.

I think practically all of Canada could be described as "rural"; with the exception of a few metropolitan centres, there is an awful lot of space between people up here. I grew up and still live about an hour away from the largest city in my province. I was labelled "country" in my elementary school days because I had to ride the bus to school. The town kids ( the town boasted a population of 1200 people) were "in" compared to us bus riders. I was never envious of their tiny yards, their nine to five job parents, or their noisy streets and perpetual street lights. I loved my rambling spaces, the multitude of trees to climb and read a book in, the silky silent darkness, and the fact that when someone drove on to our yard they came because they really wanted to.

Until we had indoor plumbing one of my childhood fears was meeting a skunk during a nocturnal visit to the outhouse. We worked hard; possibly much harder than I do now, but active participation educated us in a very real way toward understanding what it took to make a living. Things were more precious then because we understood more clearly what they cost. I have lost much of that sense by now.

Family and neighbours were an integral part of our daily lives. Our local rural church provided most of the social life I knew as a child and young teenager. Oh yes, there may have been some 'unchurchly' things that went on after choir practice but it was all part of the fabric of my childhood. I remember very well when my husband, the quintessential "nice young man" would take us all out to a local drive in for milkshakes and sundaes after choir practice. Unfortunately everyone would want to go, including my mother, the choir director. He and I (ten years his junior) were 'unofficially' and secretly together already way back then. He'd invite my mother to sit in the front seat of his very cool limited edition fire red GTO, and the rest of us, mostly girls would pile into the back seat. I would always end up directly behind him and we'd hold hands and have secret conversations around the headrest.

Once you hit university around here the line between country and city becomes much more blurred. The thing that seems to be most important for survival, even with my own kids, is to have some roots and a good support group. In my son's circle of friends, having family that cares about you is considered a huge asset. There are so many kids out there alone; hurting and permanently distanced or absent from family or support groups like people from home or church etc.

I think Clay is increasingly aware of the value of the support groups he has discovered throughout the course of his life, as well as the need for space and privacy in the fishbowl career he is in.

It seems to me as well, that he has made some movement from his initial 'disgust' with the LA type life toward a more empathetic attitude. As he embraces the children he has met through Unicef, works at various political levels on behalf of people with disabilities, and rides the tides and swells of a frenetic fandom, Clay is finding his equilibrium not only within himself, but in the people he has surrounded himself with.

Thank God he knows how to laugh: at himself, at us, with us.

Yes, please. How about something along the lines of "Finding Sir Robin" with the chicken logo and the FCA mascot :lilredani: ? I also like the idea mentioned earlier of incorporating a theater marquee.

Sir_Robin2.jpgspamsmilie.gif

I'm working on it as we type ;-)

Does anybody have a good pic of the shield?