#23: Lordy. He is one more hunkalicious dude!

Ansamcw

Thread Title Poll  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• It is more than just the vox and the humor and the gahness!
    • Somewhere out there Clay is looking cute and talking with an accent and practicing a dance.
    • In so many ways, Clay has made me throw my sanity to the wind.
    • Clay is just standing out there with his naked voice, balls proud, singing his heart out without a safety net.
    • "Them desire prospered New Year"
    • He's one yummy man from any angle I look at him.
    • I just betcha "Sir Robin" is going to fit his Clayness like a second skin.

muskifest

Jenna, I've felt this for a while, too. He's a smart cookie (I LOVE cookies! hubbahubba.gif ) I like the idea of him as the tortoise in the fable---going at his own pace (marching to his own drummer, if you will)--and reaching for variety and adventure (I'm truly shocked that anyone would say Clay is not a risk taker!) and excellence as long as he can remain true to himself.

I watched a special about Bob Newhart the other day and something people kept saying about him reminded me of Clay. You know, Bob Newhart made his fame from playing this very understated character, this nice guy, but his peers postulated that perhaps one reason this was so successful for him is that underneath that persona the real life Bob was this high energy, even slightly edgy guy. He was also a private person, keeping his heart to himself while at the same time always being aware of and alert to his audience, willing to go all out for their laughter. So, even though he perfected a nervous stammer and pretended to be a shy everyman, there was a contrasting, interesting energy about him that appealed to people. I think Clay Aiken, despite his fondness for napping, is a high energy, even slightly edgy guy. He's always watching, thinking, and learning. It's amazing what a quick mind he has. So, he has the appearance of a mild-mannered tortoise...and people who don't see past that persona might be lulled into forgetting how that particular tale turned out. As I recall, the bright-eyed cocky poptart rabbit didn't win. heh.

Bwah...thanks for pointing me to the clip. Just...bwah. It actually looks like a VERY difficult move...and her skirt blew aside at just the right...er...wrong moment. Heh...that was funny. :)

So, he has the appearance of a mild-mannered tortoise...and people who don't see past that persona might be lulled into forgetting how that particular tale turned out. As I recall, the bright-eyed cocky poptart rabbit didn't win. heh.

Indeed. Although Clay is rather 'bright eyed', I must say. Definitely cock-y. And since I'm rather fond of Cinnamon Sugar poptarts, I'm okay with that part of it too.... :cryingwlaughter: Thing is...the mild mannered part. I guess Clay DOES seem 'mild mannered' to the casual observer and someone who hasn't seen him in action much. Or someone whose knowledge of CLay hasn't been updated since AI2.

But the Clay I know (and of course, you all are aware of my very private and intimate relationship with him, right?) is far from mild-mannered. He is a very well mannered man, fo' sho'. But mild?

Heh.

Yeah.

And I'm quite slender, too.

Wow, you take a few days off from the internet and you never catch up! Been without a computer for a few weeks, but trying to keep up using a borrowed computer and that's not so easy, especially when traveling to the last few shows. Gee, you people have been pretty talkative lately. Am sure I'll miss quite a few, but did want to comment on the following:

Perma, your post around page 10 or so was very well stated. I am so happy to be able to come here, but mostly when those "so knowledgeable about Clay's career" take over elsewhere. Ran into one of 'em in person recently. They just seem to "know better" than Clay. Sheesh....

Wanda, love your posts. Always have. You said everything Perma did, but in a different style. Nobody does a one liner like you do.

Skybar's here. EEEEEE!!!! Now she knows where I "hide out" from the insanity.

On the question of seeing Clay more than once. I do. As often as I want. Coss he makes me happy. The joy he provides is priceless. Time is the only commodity we can never get back...and I opt to spend mine with HIM. If there are other diversions that provide that kind of joy to you, seek them out. You only live once. I saw quite a few entertainers in my time, but IMO Clay has them all beat. It's a personal thing really. Happiness is the best medicine for what ails ya'. If Engelbert Humperdink frees your mind, takes you to another place and makes ya' happy, go for it!

Attended the Las Vegas show. Clay was somewhat rough for DSIAFCD in LV, but seemed less so on TV. I'll take it. If he sells, I buy. It's that simple. Even slightly rough, he's the best singer out there today. The Sasha clack was cute. She really is bendy isn't she...

I live in New York. Am giggling at the thought of seeing Clay any time I want over the next several months. Whoopie!!!!!

Hugs to all you want or need them.

I also sometimes wonder if it's also because of him being from a rural area

I have not been around much. I just was trying to catch up and figure out how the current conversation started.

But when I got to this - Please ldyjocelyn, I'm not trying to give you a hard time - but I just had to :cryingwlaughter:

Now - ME? I'm from a rural area in SC. Grew up in Marion, SC, the big city had a population of 8000 - which I think has gone down in recent years. We were surrounded by tobacco farmers - who also grew corn, raised pigs and cows and collards and green beans. Many of my classmates were from farm families. I was a "town girl" - but I lived on the outskirts - on the edge - the road behind us was dirt for YEARS!

Clay grew up so far from that it ain't even funny. He grew up more like my son in Greensboro. His high school had a population of 1600. And there were 4 big HS's in the city and 4 more in the county.

My HS had maybe 450 and it was the only HS!

I have wanted to smack Clay many times for his referring to Raleigh in Mayberry like terms. Because he just didn't live Mayberry. I did. Except I wasn't in the mountains.

That was part of his schtick! But that man has NEVER been a country bumpkin. He was a city boy. Don't you believe him when he says is wasn't a city boy. Maybe not city like NYC, but city none the less.

Silly man.

OTOH, people are so ready to believe anyone with a Southern accent IS country, I guess sometimes it's just easier to play that up instead of trying to fight it.

I'll shut up now.

:whistling-1:

OK I'm going to try to do that bolding name thing for one post. But really, really would like to outlaw it :cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

ETA: OH CRAP I didn't bold the first names..sheeesh

LAJeterfan - whoo hoo to 4 days off as well.

Ansa, so good to see you posting. When are your girls going back to school. I miss you.

Love that Teddy Roosevelt quote...and I love this one, too:

First they ignore you, then they laugh at

you, then they fight you, then you win.

--- Mohandas Gandhi

hee..... :clap:

I love that as well Muski!

I have read many bios and autobios of celebrities and most stars with longevity have had major ups and downs throughout their careers. The key ingredient for all seems to be undeniable talent and Clay has that in spades. It is so encouraging to see people like Sedaka, David Foster and now Mike Nichols embrace Clay. Foster and Nichols are major players so I think Clay will have a long and prosperous career for as long as he wants it. I do believe Spamalot is a very big deal especially because of Nichols. He can open many new doors for Clay and Clay seems to be open to all sorts of possibilites. The past 5 years have been about building a solid foundation, IMO. Clay has really accomplished a great deal.

I agree with this. And I really love that he's open to so much. Who knows what he has up his sleeve.

Wow!! Where did all these pages come from??

I know I know!

Perma, I'm glad you're doing better. Don't over do it. Oh wait..too late :F_05BL17blowkiss: Congrats on your anniversary but take the next few days to rest!

Life is tough enough without having your HOBBY put you in despair. Maybe they need to find something less stress-inducing and controllable. Origami can be fun. Plus, you can be 100% correct when deciding "It's a fold".

LOL..BWAH HA HA.

236234938-XL-1.jpg

He's also very pretty close up:

236239197-XL.jpg

Thank for the pretties!

I missed all the favorites, but I can never pick anyway. I do have to say that I will always, always have a very soft spot in my heart for the JNT06. After that really difficult year, he came out there and let us all know that he had not knuckled under. He had not been crushed or defeated or diminished in any way. He came out singing. He came out snarking. He helped us all find our laughter and joy again. And at the Long Island concert he showed more professionalism, grit and determination than I have ever before seen in a performer, and I don't expect to see it's like again.

Perma, Yes Yes Yes!!

Hey Gibby, you know there's no such thing as a postho around here especially when pretty pictures come with the deal.

KANDRE..love you girl... love the skating recap. But you're not helping us out here..you're proving you can do perfectly good analysis without knowing a damn thing. heee. Maybe I should go finish watching it. I left to go visit my mom after the first 2 songs. You know what I most remember about DSIAFCD? That I loved what he did with the falsetto. I remember my appreciation of that when I was in Vegas.

Cindilu, the banner is very lovely!!

Speaking of doing Clay (We weren't? Well shouldn't we be???)...... Any chance we will be doing the third in the continuing series of "Doing Clay" pins for Spamalot? You know "FCA DOING CLAY IN SPAMALOT" or "FCA DOING CLAY ON BROADWAY"? The little sign part could be made to look like a theater marquis or something.

oh cindiluuuuuuuuuu :whistling-1::lilredani:

Play I have to confess when we were in Minneapolis and we were following Solo all through the sky walks...these 4 well dressed good looking...OH WAIT..HALT... I don't think I said this in any recap but Minneapolis has the best assortment of good looking men I have ever seen in my life. Everywhere you looked there was another gorgeous man. It was ridiculous. Ok where was I? Ok 4 such beautiful men were going up the escalator as we were going down and I heard one of them say he was going to see Clay Aikn that evening. Now, if it were 4 women would I have gotten so wide eyed. heee. THere are how many women in the world.....enough of them so that he can be successful as anybody else even if every single fan is a woman. It's a hard habit to break for me...don't care about the tweens though.

Merrieeee :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I have this sudden need to see flaps and skanks.

heee

OK that must be some kind of record...6 edits just to bold everybody's name.

merrieeee, I'm so sorry to hear about your mother in law. I'll be keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

I feel like a little kid, I've got my first songs and videos loaded on my IPod. A little while ago I watched about 4 videos from the JBT. I grinned all the way through them, just like it was the first time I had seen them We're taking a short road trip this weekend so it will be great to have a little bit of heaven with me.

Thanks to everyone who responded to the little game I posted, there really were no rules and it truly is difficult to limit a favorite Clay anything to just one. Well, maybe if we were trying to list our favorite appearance with an unclipped back flap.......

There have been so many excellent points this evening about Clay's career, longevity vs superstardom. The pace Clay was going that first year and a half or 2 was extremely hectic. While it was great as a fan to chronicle his successes, I'm not sure how long he could have gone on at that rate. I also feel that he knew that fame and influence could be gone as quickly as it came and he tried to strike while the iron was hot that first couple of years. If the slow down or backing away was intentional and well thought out or if his popularity just started to wane a little, I don't know. In the grand scheme of things, I think it is/was a good thing. I would rather, for his sake and ours to have him around for decades than to have a burned out superstar whose life is secondary and in shambles.

Had to remark about this because I only know this singer named Clay. Clay Aiken. That's the name I first heard for him on AI and it's the name on the tickets. I never thought Clayton was a different person, only that Clayton had shortened his name to Clay because the name "Clay Aiken" has a certain star quality to it -- and he was going for it. I don't think there's another persona when he's performing. He can be silly and teasing, most often at his own expense. He can be a prankster on stage, and I've watched the person once named Clayton Grissom do the same things on Hometown Connection. I've seen old photos and videos when he had dark brown hair, auburn hair, brighter red hair, glossy blond hair, and he's worn it straight or permed, in various cuts and styles, and frequently changed back and forth, from what I can see. That's the same guy. So I don't get it so much when people say that he's going back to Clayton with lighter hair combed off the face and glasses. Going through all the combinations of however he can look, one by one, seems to be a lifelong journey for him. Maybe he'll settle on something and stay with it for a while, or maybe he'll have different looks for different tours, depending on his mood. Also, I think the man that takes the stage with command, control and who oozes charm and confidence, with a mastery of the limelight, and inimitable instincts for comedy -- that's Clayton too -- same guy. I see him as having a large personality that encompasses his time on the stage or in the public eye. I understand the way he feels about what people call him. I go by a nickname with 3/4 of the people I know. But quite a few old friends and family call me by my given name. I would think it totally weird if people started calling me something different from what they normally do, and I'm the same person regardless of what I'm called. Yeah, I know that was a straight line you could drive a truck through!

Anyway, my umpteenth reiteration of love and admiration for Clay is upon me. I'm refusing to put limits on him in my mind and imagination, so I don't think he should limit himself. He's capable of whatever he wants to do and he's been demonstrating that quite handily for a few years. Of course, I don't see him as a rock star -- but then I don't see anybody as a rock star anymore. Jim Morrison was a rock star. Bono was a rock star. The Beatles were musical genius. Clay is a singer who happens to be a pop star, among other things, and as a pop star the sky's the limit for him. He can move around and explore different types of music under the pop umbrella and I expect him to do just that in his long and winding career, a career unbound by the definitions and limitations of others -- hopefully.

Maybe the phrase I'm most tired of hearing is musical direction (and marketing). The fight of artists to deny labeling is a long one. One of my favorite Dylan moments was at a San Francisco airport press conference in 1965(?) when a reporter asked him if he was a folk singer and Bob said, "I've always thought of myself as a song and dance man." The snark on his face was unforgettable and it was a great moment. Defying and denying labels and niches and genres, and all the places the world wants to put you and keep you, is a part of the artistic consciousness, not to mention human development, and I shake my head whenever I hear an artist being asked to define himself or explain himself. My guess is you'll get snark every damn time. Including from Clay. Especially from Clay.

I have read over several pages about Sasha telling Clay that he's cute -- but I am missing this completely. Can someone direct me to this -- please, please, please -- because I would love to see it. I thought they had some cute, flirty chemistry together. I liked it when Clay asked her where she lives. He was trying to be nonchalant, but I think he was really interested in knowing.

I am one, btw, if anyone cares, who prefers pop star Clay -- Summer Tour, JBT, etc. -- to Christmas Clay. I love Christmas, but traditional Christmas music for me is Tchaikovsky. And when I feel the need for a closer walk, Beethoven takes me there. But no composer or artist living or dead can deliver the kind of thrills and chills that I can get just from watching clack of Clay walking down those JBT stairs singing "Now if you feel like you can't go on ..." , and the swooning that overtakes me when I hear him sing "Without You" or "Broken Wings" or "Everything I Do" or "Run To Me" and so many others. I know that Clay is the real deal, and I know his appeal is different for different people. It's fascinating for me to discover what it is about him that others love. I know what it is for me, but, Jesus, the man covers a lot of territory. That's no niche artist.

I've spent the afternoon drinking wine (shuddup - it's five o'clock somewhere) and reading a book, and listening to MOAM on repeat. I FLOVE this cd.

That is all.

I spent the afternoon getting ready to go out and tearing myself away from the computer and this board! I can't believe I come back to 6 new pages!! As try as I can to keep up... I can't stay up all night tonight!! :cry4: I'll come back to 2-4 more pages in the morning! :cryingwlaughter:

On my drive to my sister's this evening, I put in an old disk I hadn't listened to lately, since I got my ipod and a compatible audio console in the car. It was a disk of Clay's AI2 performances. My God!! It's been a really long time since I heard the "skyeyeyeye" on SOT, or the "Neeeeeeeed" on UM, or TLS. Gah, just GAH!!! It played thru twice, once on the way there, and once on the way back!! It made me want to get out my AI2 DVDs and watch again. (and I probably will!)

Just scrolled down to feast my eyes on teh lovely lovely offering from Permaswooned. Someone pass me the drool bibs! :hubbahubba:

I forgot to say thanks to MyMoam for the link to the Bing Crosby DVDs!! I have a favorite Christmas Special of his we drag out each year, and I'll be looking to see if it's available! (and welcomne!)

My local PBS station had wall-to-wall musical programs on for Christmas and some time during the day I flipped it on just as background. I really wasn't paying attention, but would listen whenever someone was signing a Clay song. What I heard wasn't good. There was a twangy, ear-piercing version of Star of Bethlehem, a mournful All is Well that sounded like the Well had just been poisoned, an emotionless Mary Did You Know that might have been asking if she knew what time it was. There were countless forgettable versions of the other Christmas classics.

Maybe it was because I'm a fan, but the skating show music was very different. Clay has a warmth in his voice that embraces the listener. It's more than "I stay on pitch", many of the people I heard were doing that. Maybe Gladys Knight was right, way back then, it's pure and it's magic.

Anyway, after listening to a lot of good music, and a few clunkers, all day, Clay stood out as one I would want to hear again, back flap and all.

Thanks for answering my question about AIW guys....I'm downloading now....

I watched a special about Bob Newhart the other day and something people kept saying about him reminded me of Clay. You know, Bob Newhart made his fame from playing this very understated character, this nice guy, but his peers postulated that perhaps one reason this was so successful for him is that underneath that persona the real life Bob was this high energy, even slightly edgy guy. He was also a private person, keeping his heart to himself while at the same time always being aware of and alert to his audience, willing to go all out for their laughter. So, even though he perfected a nervous stammer and pretended to be a shy everyman, there was a contrasting, interesting energy about him that appealed to people. I think Clay Aiken, despite his fondness for napping, is a high energy, even slightly edgy guy. He's always watching, thinking, and learning. It's amazing what a quick mind he has. So, he has the appearance of a mild-mannered tortoise...and people who don't see past that persona might be lulled into forgetting how that particular tale turned out. As I recall, the bright-eyed cocky poptart rabbit didn't win. heh.

I read Bob Newhart's memoirs a few months ago, and I got the same feeling you did 00lsee. I can see Clay being that same kind of guy.

You know, I read all kinds of theories about Clay and his feelings on superstardom, and what he wants, and I end up nodding along with almost all of them. What does that tell me? That we really know diddly-squat about what he wants. It's really more about what WE want for him, IMO. I just find it so fascinating.

merrieeee, so sorry to hear about your MIL. {{{{{hugs}}}}

I also sometimes wonder if it's also because of him being from a rural area

I have not been around much. I just was trying to catch up and figure out how the current conversation started.

But when I got to this - Please ldyjocelyn, I'm not trying to give you a hard time - but I just had to :cryingwlaughter:

Now - ME? I'm from a rural area in SC. Grew up in Marion, SC, the big city had a population of 8000 - which I think has gone down in recent years. We were surrounded by tobacco farmers - who also grew corn, raised pigs and cows and collards and green beans. Many of my classmates were from farm families. I was a "town girl" - but I lived on the outskirts - on the edge - the road behind us was dirt for YEARS!

Clay grew up so far from that it ain't even funny. He grew up more like my son in Greensboro. His high school had a population of 1600. And there were 4 big HS's in the city and 4 more in the county.

My HS had maybe 450 and it was the only HS!

I have wanted to smack Clay many times for his referring to Raleigh in Mayberry like terms. Because he just didn't live Mayberry. I did. Except I wasn't in the mountains.

That was part of his schtick! But that man has NEVER been a country bumpkin. He was a city boy. Don't you believe him when he says is wasn't a city boy. Maybe not city like NYC, but city none the less.

Silly man.

OTOH, people are so ready to believe anyone with a Southern accent IS country, I guess sometimes it's just easier to play that up instead of trying to fight it.

I'll shut up now.

:whistling-1:

Oh don't shut up on my account! I did mention in my post that I didn't know what he was really talking about, because to me Raleigh is totally big city. I can beat all of you, probably, in my growing up things -- grew up near a town of 300, closest "big city" was a half hour away, and they had a population of 40,000. High school class was 80 kids (I just barely made the top 10 percentile of my graduating class, ranked at number 8). So yeah, I think Clay's quite "full of it" when he plays up the rural schtick. OTOH, I find in kind of charming in a weird way, because I think he knows he's playing it up.

The thing is, I think there are several fans out there who BELIEVE his schtick, that since he talks with an accent, he must not be all-that-bright. That he certainly can't know how to run his career because of where he grew up. Things like that. IMO these people can't see it as schtick, that they really do think he's a bit of a hick. And then I wonder what they must think of me, with my town of 300....

Good Lord, just watched the clip. You'll shoot your eye out with that thing! [lame Christmas Story reference]

Off to MY mom's today for the weekend. Ya'll be good!

Good Morning Everyone,

9 Days until The BAF Golf Outing!

20 Days until Clay is on Broadway!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

wow...go away for a few days during the holidays and you never get caught up. :P

Had to remark about this because I only know this singer named Clay. Clay Aiken. That's the name I first heard for him on AI and it's the name on the tickets. I never thought Clayton was a different person, only that Clayton had shortened his name to Clay because the name "Clay Aiken" has a certain star quality to it -- and he was going for it. I don't think there's another persona when he's performing. He can be silly and teasing, most often at his own expense. He can be a prankster on stage, and I've watched the person once named Clayton Grissom do the same things on Hometown Connection. I've seen old photos and videos when he had dark brown hair, auburn hair, brighter red hair, glossy blond hair, and he's worn it straight or permed, in various cuts and styles, and frequently changed back and forth, from what I can see. That's the same guy. So I don't get it so much when people say that he's going back to Clayton with lighter hair combed off the face and glasses. Going through all the combinations of however he can look, one by one, seems to be a lifelong journey for him. Maybe he'll settle on something and stay with it for a while, or maybe he'll have different looks for different tours, depending on his mood. Also, I think the man that takes the stage with command, control and who oozes charm and confidence, with a mastery of the limelight, and inimitable instincts for comedy -- that's Clayton too -- same guy. I see him as having a large personality that encompasses his time on the stage or in the public eye. I understand the way he feels about what people call him. I go by a nickname with 3/4 of the people I know. But quite a few old friends and family call me by my given name. I would think it totally weird if people started calling me something different from what they normally do, and I'm the same person regardless of what I'm called. Yeah, I know that was a straight line you could drive a truck through!

Anyway, my umpteenth reiteration of love and admiration for Clay is upon me. I'm refusing to put limits on him in my mind and imagination, so I don't think he should limit himself. He's capable of whatever he wants to do and he's been demonstrating that quite handily for a few years. Of course, I don't see him as a rock star -- but then I don't see anybody as a rock star anymore. Jim Morrison was a rock star. Bono was a rock star. The Beatles were musical genius. Clay is a singer who happens to be a pop star, among other things, and as a pop star the sky's the limit for him. He can move around and explore different types of music under the pop umbrella and I expect him to do just that in his long and winding career, a career unbound by the definitions and limitations of others -- hopefully.

Since you said it better than I could about the Clay/Clayton thing, I'll just 'word' you keepingfaith. I do believe my brother, Russ/Russell/Skip/Skipper would agree. All the name/s did for him was give him a time reference as to when someone came to know him and how personally they knew him. My brother never changed to fit the name.

You know, I read all kinds of theories about Clay and his feelings on superstardom, and what he wants, and I end up nodding along with almost all of them. What does that tell me? That we really know diddly-squat about what he wants. It's really more about what WE want for him, IMO. I just find it so fascinating.

Just a big fat, 'Amen!' from me.

I was glad to see you're back home safe and sound also, ldyj. I kept watching that MN storm and thought of you driving. Ack! I'm ready for spring now, btw.

...eta, someone, somewhere, pages back, referred to that lovely picture of Clay dancing with a special needs gal, as dancing with an older woman. If I'm not mistaken, that is not a older lady, but a younger woman with special needs that gives somewhat of an older appearance. I don't think it matters, really, but the anal-retentive side of me is rearing it's ugly head today, so I thought I would make mention.

Ha! I'm pretty sure I've got you all beat when it comes to small town. I grew up in a town of maaaybe 100 people. I always rolled my eyes a little at Clay's reference to Raleigh as 'small town'. Until I went there. Sure it's a city, but it's the most rural city I've ever seen. It 'feels' small town.

ETA: I've always said that Clay will have exactly the career that he wants to have. There isn't a doubt in my mind. Will that always jive with what 'we' want for him? Prolly not. Does that bother me? Not a bit. In fact it excites me beyond belief. I am just thrilled to be along for the ride.

Okay, are you guys serious about an FCA/Spam pin? Doing Clay on Broadway? Is the 'Spamalot' name going to be a copyright problem?

OK, so am I the only person who preferred Clay's body this summer, more filled out and with the no so double chin? And prefer him with light colored hair and no bangs? And don't mind glasses if he feels he needs them? Ok, then, that goes pretty far in explaining why I am out of step with 95% of the fandom.

I never saw the "fat" in the summer, I don't really see the "puffy" in the skating show, I am not so sure I see more prominent cheekbones now than any other time.....love the glasses, love the hair off his forehead, love the newly blondish hair. But then again, I am always out of step with the majority of the fandom, so what else is new? ;)

I also don't think Clay turned away from superstardom. I think he made choices based on what was best for him at the time and he had no idea what would happen once he left LA. He mentioned in his ET interview, a while ago, that he realized, at some point, that the world didn't revolve around him. I think he must have come to terms with some things about fame and chose to be true to himself, let go and let God and all that. I'm not saying I know any of this for sure but I get the impression that Clay would like to be as successful as possible without compromising his values and principles. I can't imagine how heady it must have been when he first came off of Idol and had no time to process his success. I believe he has done that and he appears to be a happy guy.

Great paragraph, especially the bolded line, and it describes my beliefs about Clay's star and how he seems to be following it, too.

On the question of seeing Clay more than once. I do. As often as I want. Coss he makes me happy. The joy he provides is priceless. Time is the only commodity we can never get back...and I opt to spend mine with HIM. If there are other diversions that provide that kind of joy to you, seek them out. You only live once. I saw quite a few entertainers in my time, but IMO Clay has them all beat. It's a personal thing really. Happiness is the best medicine for what ails ya'. If Engelbert Humperdink frees your mind, takes you to another place and makes ya' happy, go for it!

Love, love, love this explanation for multiples (hee). I think I'll file it away in a safe place and use it the next time anyone gives me grief over the choices I make. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

{{{{merrieeee}}}} Sorry to hear about your MIL.

So I had to drive 3 hours round trip last night to deliver some prescription pills to my ex for my son (we arranged a meeting point that was halfway for both of us). My son went up there on Boxing Day and was supposed to stay until New Years Day. Nice respite for me, right? Wrong. When my ex pulled up to get the pills, out jumped my son, and announced he missed me so much, he was coming home. Greeeeeeeaaaaaaaat. I mean, I love my kids and miss them when they aren't here, but I was kind of looking forward to a nice, peaceful weekend of watching clack and stuff. *pouts*

cindilu2, great banner!

Good post keepingfaith. I agree. A Clay by any other name is still a Clay. *g* I wuv him so.

merrieeee your news makes me so sad. I will be thinking of you and your family. (((((hugs))))

I think the only thing Clay is a victim of is some of his fans! :whistling-1:

I started out thinking that Clay was going to be a major Superstar, like Elvis and The Beatles, with his talent. I believed he wanted it all and he wanted it badly. I also love a more pop Clay than a Christmas Clay, but I have come to realize that Clay isn't going to be, or even wants to be, the kind of superstar that I had invisioned for him. Well, maybe he did but has come to realize his style of singing doesn't lend itself to that type of superstardom. I do believe he wants to be a famous celebrity, not just a singer, but within the realms of his comfort zone. All I can do is hope there are enough people who will love what he wants to do and will support him in a career. So I just have to accept that and just support the things he does that I like and skip the stuff I don't. Just like I would do for any celebrity. I've always been here to support and help him to get a career, even if some of it isn't to own my particular taste. I am still here supporting him. He's a very talented singer and I think he does well on TV. I think Spamalot is going to open doors for Clay. I see large amounts of promotion for him this year and I still think 2008 is going to be his break out year. He is just not going to be in the league with Elvis and the Beatles, like so many thought, but I see him as being able to be comfortable and make a great living for the rest of his life.

I don't know why, but I've had a soft spot for Philippe Candaloro for a while. Yep, he's cheesy to the extreme, and probably way too cocky, but I still like him. *shrug*

I always enjoyed Philippe too...mainly because he was different. He dared to step out of the "accepted" in a very provincial sport. He dared people to notice him. To his credit, he was also just good enough to get that notice. Wasn't he like "Mr. 3rd Place" for awhile?

Alas, he also suffered from the "Prince problem" ... so I could never think of him "that way"

I think that Clay decided to be true to himself and not sell out in order to be the latest, greatest thing. I LURVE him for being true to his values and convictions. I wouldn't love him if he were a cocky, self-absorbed rock stah, even if he sold millions upon millions. There are many others who can be self-absorbed rock stahs, who are here today and gone tomorrow. But there's only one Clay, and I have a feeling he'll be around for a long time. Of course I love his voice, but it's his authenticity and heart that keep me mesmerized and coming back for more.

Amen.

NJU stories, I don't mind them much, I brought one here after all, but I would prefer that people did not ooh and aah if it is a teen ager or a male.

Oh I don't mind the stories. Just the term and the significance it has taken on in the fandom. I think some fans have handed over much of their enjoyment of Clay to this hazy, undefined group. I think an inordiante amount of time is spent fretting over what the "NJU" (just typing that felt icky) think ... as if they are this monolithic group that will somehow have their collective heads turned if only Clay would do this and such.

I dunno I guess it reminds me of one of the NEW STATS in the baseball world that always leaves me shaking my head....

VORP --- Value Over Replacement Player. The number of runs contributed beyond what a replacement-level player at the same position would contribute if given the same percentage of team plate appearances.

So now instead of talking about what a player has actually accomplished on the field we are comparing him to these nameless faceless "replacement players." When one of STAT Boyz brings up a players VORP .... I'm like..."Uh isn't that the one with the imaginary players?" Hee. When I look at a player I don't see his numbers so much as ... what have you done on the field for me lately...???" No made-up-people-number can change that. *g*

I feel disrespected as an mature woman when that happens.

Yeah. That. Not to mention that if the thought is about desired demographics...mature men are no more desirable than mature women. It's all about how soon your going to die.

A little OT, but not really. From CNN, The monster that ate entertainment.

This...

TMZ.com is a unit of Time Warner, as is CNN

...should tell you everything you need to know about journalism today.

OK that must be some kind of record...6 edits just to bold everybody's name.

Amateur :cryingwlaughter:

Gosh, cannot find who said this earlier, as I sped through all these latest posts, but I agree that Clay will be "just as successful and as big a star as he wants to be." He is one ambitious, focused and directed guy. He may be broadly talented, but I think he is singularly directed. JMO, but I feel he wants to be in that exact place where God wants him, where all of his talents will be used to their utmost. I dont think he really knew 4 years ago just where that place was. Not sure he knows exactly now, either. It takes a lot of guts and faith to just put all your talents out there and see where it takes you. Titanium and full of faith. And, a realization that you have to "just ignore" (TMA CHA) those who may criticize, critics and "fans" alike.

When I read comments from fans that Clay doesn't know his own musical direction, I think they are missing the point. Of course, he doesnt, he can sing anything, and he is on a journey that I think is endlessly fascinating to watch. He is teaching us as he goes.

Cha Cha T ... you are welcome for the Bing Crosby DVDs link. Hope you find the one you want. Just back up through that site. He has lots of old specials other than Bing, too .... Martin, Como. I love the internet. One of my favourite old TV series was Brooklyn Bridge, and I was so excited when I found someone on a yahoo chat board who had DVDs of the whole series. I, like Clay, have a short attention span and would much rather watch DVDs of TV shows than an entire movie.

Love that new banner :F_05BL17blowkiss: He just warms my heart.

I must have missed the "interesting" skating move, but now I'm curious. Can someone point me to the clip?

I think it's during DSIAFCD, isn't it, y'all? Shae Lyn opens her legs, sqats and then glides by right in front of our man, and shows him her wares. The harlot.

If it's the move I'm thinking of, it's a pretty unattractive for sure. I recall a pair of ice dancers from Russia years ago (late 80's, early 90's?), Bestemianova and Bukin, who used it in their free dances. They might have been the first in the skating community to use it, I'm not sure, but it was just as unattractive then as now. Something about a skater doing that move alone makes it worse, though. Shae Lynn and Viktor were famous for they hydroplaning moves. I don't know if she did one of those in this show.

About this urban rural thing, and I'm not disputing anyone's experience or observations, and I don't know Clay, so I really don't know what his experience was. Like most folks, I'm going to see the world through my own filters. I grew up in Raleigh, within the city limits, in a neighborhood of little 50's boxes, but the road in front of the house I grew up in wasn't paved for as long as I lived there. Across the street was a vacant field; it still is, according to google maps. Our house was different from most of the homes of the relatives we went to visit in more rural areas, and I grew up thinking that indoor bathrooms were invented in the 50's and my family just happened to be the first to get one. As a teenager I worked in a summer camp out where Clay grew up, a decade before he was born; we rode for about a half-hour on a camp bus with all the kids, and at the time it was wooded land all the way. That would later become "north Raleigh" and the area is quite developed now, and I don't know where Clay's family stood in that process. Raleigh has grown tremendously in a few decades, as has the whole region. It has always been the state capitol, and there have always been wealthy and sophisticated people there, but I wasn't raised among them. For me, it's easy to see how someone could grow up in Raleigh and still feel deep down like a country bumpkin, and that hasn't changed for me despite lots of education and world travel. Sophistication is something I will just never have or be. I really have no idea if Clay is like me or not, and how much of his schtick is how he really feels and how much is an act. I know he's not stupid, anymore than I am, and I know he's far more qualified to run his career than the sophisticated folks who noticed that his jacket flap wasn't clipped, and who are so quick to point out all his other various fashion no-nos, and I'm sure they cringe at and mock people like me too, who just don't understand the "right" things to do, which was what I was agreeing to in ldyjocelyn's post.

Cindilu Great banner!

One of the big topics of conversation over the past few years is how RCA, Clive, etc. are always putting Clay in a box and I have to always laugh at that, because the fans are the biggest "box stuffers" of all. Some want him only to sing rock songs; some love ballads; some don't want him to do anything but sing....no TV, no Broadway. Somehow the concept of just letting Clay have the career that he wants and allowing him to acheive those goals in the matter he sees fit doesn't seem to compute with some.

Oh and back to the "nails on the chalkboard" list...I would like to add "Up Tempo"...still have no idea what people mean by that.

Kim