#26: "Irreverent, surprisingly fearless, a total delight and a surprise!"

Ansamcw

Thread title poll  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title on the FCA board?

• I'm considering running for President!
    • Ya' gotta give me somethin', honey!
    • The man's a joy magnet!

Hee, luckiest1 and I were posting at the same time.

Bookwhore -- What Not to Wear on TLC. Love that show! But I'm so out of it, I only have 3 purses, and maybe 8 pair of shoes total. I'd rather buy tickets to Clay shows than buy 50 pair of shoes. *g*

CRAP! ON TOP AGAIN!!!

http://cityguideny.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=9477

Hannah calls our guy "strapping". :)

I think I hear some fans heads exploding. :whistling-1:

Well, I heard something explode, but I think it was my libido...

heh

:lmaosmiley-1:

No, I was referring to the "they're embarrassing me" part. I'm sure that will hurt some people.

heh

:lmaosmiley-1:

No, I was referring to the "they're embarrassing me" part. I'm sure that will hurt some people.

Oh...

*blush*

heh

I think it was my ovaries. Oh, wait, they already are.........

:cryingwlaughter: :F_05BL17blowkiss: :cryingwlaughter:

Oh this is just another part of Clay that I find fascinating. He's said he was never a fan of anyone. Well I can't imagine how it feels for him to have uber fans, fans so focused on him, sometimes to the exclusion of everything else going on. So when he looks at clack of himself singing a duet with QUiana yet you only see him on the video that embarasses him. Or when every time he does somethign, anything, the applause and enthusiasm is overwhelming. After all these years he still hasn't embraced it but it's him. That's the way it is. And in this case I think it's him that has to change a mindset, and he may never do that. But I"m ok with that. I really don't take it personally. I'll continue to react to him how I always do. And that's all any of us can do.

Thought he was puny. Bwah!

Perhaps, but I don't think it's worth taking it personally. Sounds to me like a rehash of the comments he made about opening night, when he wasn't sure how the other actors would react to the overwhelming response he got. He later said that they were fine with it so he relaxed about it. No big deal.

I think the embarrassment comes from the fact that he's on stage with all these other experienced theatrical veterans, all highly talented individuals, many of whom are highly respected within the Broadway community, and yet when he, a relative newbie, walks on stage, the audience goes crazy over every little thing he does. He may feel almost apologetic toward his fellow castmates, because he may feel they deserve as much adulation or more, but be because he's the "celebrity," he gets the most exhuberant response. It's a very modest mindset, which I find enormously appealing.

I really don't think he actually means, "my fans are embarrassing to me because they're too over-the-top." I believe he's actually saying to Hannah and the others, "I'm embarrassed that I'm getting so much more attention because I know you deserve it, as well." I absolutely don't think he or the cast want the audiences to be quieter or less enthusiastic than they have been.

My guess is that Clay is sensitive to the fact that "stunt casting" may cause resentment among regular Broadway performers, because they often don't get the mainstream recognition they deserve. Hannah may be a brilliant actress who is highly regarded on both sides of the Atlantic, but whose photo do they put on the side of the bus (or in that article)? I'd bet that one of the reasons he's been embraced by the cast is because he respects the talent of the others and tries to give them their due. If he were to strut around behaving like he deserves all the adoration, he'd probably be far less popular, and much less happy.

And honestly, I think these seasoned performers know what it's like when celebrities are in a production. I'm sure it doesn't surprise them at all that Clay would get the biggest response. What probably has surprised them is how much attention has been showered upon them as well.

Jenna... WORD!!! I think you are entirely correct. I have only read at CH and they seem to feel that the quote was referring to opening night and not currently. Sometimes people just seem to need something to angst about, it seems to me. LOL

Love the banner! Actually, the eyes part is much better for me, since I do not like his hair in that picture, so just focusing on the eyes makes it very thudworthy!

I think the embarrassment comes from the fact that he's on stage with all these other experienced theatrical veterans, all highly talented individuals, many of whom are highly respected within the Broadway community, and yet when he, a relative newbie, walks on stage, the audience goes crazy over every little thing he does. He may feel almost apologetic toward his fellow castmates, because he may feel they deserve as much adulation or more, but be because he's the "celebrity," he gets the most exhuberant response. It's a very modest mindset, which I find enormously appealing.

I really don't think he actually means, "my fans are embarrassing to me because they're too over-the-top." I believe he's actually saying to Hannah and the others, "I'm embarrassed that I'm getting so much more attention because I know you deserve it, as well." I absolutely don't think he or the cast want the audiences to be quieter or less enthusiastic than they have been.

My guess is that Clay is sensitive to the fact that "stunt casting" may cause resentment among regular Broadway performers, because they often don't get the mainstream recognition they deserve. Hannah may be a brilliant actress who is highly regarded on both sides of the Atlantic, but whose photo do they put on the side of the bus (or in that article)? I'd bet that one of the reasons he's been embraced by the cast is because he respects the talent of the others and tries to give them their due. If he were to strut around behaving like he deserves all the adoration, he'd probably be far less popular, and much less happy.

And honestly, I think these seasoned performers know what it's like when celebrities are in a production. I'm sure it doesn't surprise them at all that Clay would get the biggest response. What probably has surprised them is how much attention has been showered upon them as well.

You don't need to guess - Clay said it directly in that Broadway.com article. He was sensitive about the other people's possible feelings, to the extent that it figured in on whether he'd accept the role or not. He's just that kind of guy. And a) we don't know when that article was written. It could be referring to the opening night, b.) we're reading a quote from Hannah about what she said Clay said - doesn't mean it's verbatim, and c) Clay's opening night blog said it all.

I was at the show(s) this weekend, and I'll spare you the fangirly details and just relate two quick things. We met Chris Sieber and Hannah after the show, and they were both very warm and gracious. Hannah spoke to us for a good ten minutes, and they both signed autographs and posed for photos. They both said how much they enjoyed the audience enthusiasm, and Hannah especially was appreciative that we waited and were very happy to be meeting her. She invited us to check out her website (hannahwaddingham.com) and sign her guestbook. Also, some of the other folks I was with sat with some friends/family of Chris's. They told him how Chris came back to the US from England with Hannah so she wouldn't have to be 'alone'. They also said how he was not particularily thrilled about Clay being in the show (the popstar/stunt casting thing), but that after two weeks of rehearsal, he was completely over his apprehension, and that Clay was hard working and a nice, talented guy. Now I didn't hear that with my own ears, but I did hear it first hand from some very nice ladies. So, I'll take that article for what it's worth - and I'll agree whole heartedly with Hannah. Tall and strapping. Slurp. Uhhuh.

A couple photos I managed to snap. Considering they're taken with the camera held over my head and hoping for the best, they aren't too bad.

I wish I hadn't caught him mid-blink, but he still has lovely stubble and sideburns.

th_DSCN0472.jpg

This is him handing back my playbill. Eeeeeee!!

th_DSCN0473.jpg

th_DSCN0471.jpg

th_DSCN0469.jpg

I only post this one cuz you can see his lovely, long legs. Sighhhhhh. Even though it's partially perspective, Jerome is freaking huge!

th_DSCN0466.jpg

Chris and Hannah

th_DSCN0475.jpg

Heheh, if Hannah only ever heard of Clay from AI2, it's not surprising she thought he'd be short and/or puny. Everybody I know that only ever saw him beside Ruben is surprised to find out he's 6'1" I'm still taking a moment on the 'strapping' part. *drool*

Cindilu - I'd love to hear the fangirly details!! Did you notice much difference between the shows you saw on the weekend vs opening weekend? I think it's great you chatted with Chris and Hannah after the show....I'd love to see the pictures too!

eta: thanks for the pics!!

KAndre tumbles into the FCA to whine, but is temporarily distracted a tall, strappin' man...

Man. This has been the longest, most annoying long weekend ever. Of my two desktops, the one with XP stopped working. Sounding like the hard drive friend. Oh well. Finally take it into Data Doctors (because HP seems to have welded the HD in there and I have better things to do). They call me back Monday - good news: the hard drive is fine. Bad news: the motherboard is toast. Dammit. I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeed XP - Elvira totally rejects Vista for upgrades (and I like playing old school Sims - my Clay Sims kicks butt!). So I'm desperately hunting up a cheap XP box - and every freakin' refurbished unit at MicroCenter has freaking VISTA on it! Damn. And of course on Saturday as I am happily organizing the last of the data DVDs I'm sending to claytonic, the frickin' 250 GB iomega external hard drive refuses to be seen. It makes a dead parrot look lively.

And I was forced to have my last root canal done today. And the evil Dr. A (having determined that a flopping, weeping patient is difficult to work upon) shot me chockful of anesthesia. So now one of my eyelids doesn't seem to work properly. Or if it is, I can't tell. And I have a little nubbin of a tooth that my tongue keeps wanting to mess with. And I can't get my temporary crowns until next week. And I can't get my Vicodin until after work. Dammit.

It is funny how in the beginning, the other actors ran away from the stage door, as if no one cared about them. Well, surprise, they have found they are appreciated as well. I still need to get Tom and Hannah to sing my book.

But - you might have to pay them for that, Play!

:cryingwlaughter:

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

:hubbahubba: for banner! He always takes my breath away!

Clay embarrassed by fans...I think the OTT's of some may embarrass him at times; but I think regarding Spamalot, it is all tongue in cheek and not to be taken seriously.

Kim

If people choose to read the word 'embarrassed' as some kind of insult towards the fans, there's no stopping that. I, however, take it to mean that he is (or was potentially) embarrassed by the attention. Much as I might say, 'stop, you're embarrassing me,' to someone who is complimenting me profusely in public. (Not that that's ever happened, lol). It's not that it wouldn't be appreciated, it's just not always easy to be centered out. There's a huge difference between embarrassing and humiliating. I suspect some folks just want to feel badly, or want to portray him as ungrateful. Or perhaps they're projecting just a little.

At the risk of repeating myself, I say- his blog the night of his debut says it all.

BTW, lovely, lovely banner 00lsee.

If people choose to read the word 'embarrassed' as some kind of insult towards the fans, there's no stopping that. I, however, take it to mean that he is (or was potentially) embarrassed by the attention. Much as I might say, 'stop, you're embarrassing me,' to someone who is complimenting me profusely in public. (Not that that's ever happened, lol). It's not that it wouldn't be appreciated, it's just not always easy to be centered out. There's a huge difference between embarrassing and humiliating. I suspect some folks just want to feel badly, or want to portray him as ungrateful. Or perhaps they're projecting just a little.

At the risk of repeating myself, I say- his blog the night of his debut says it all.

BTW, lovely, lovely banner 00lsee.

Yup this is how I see it too. The fans embarrass him because of the extra attention he gets.

I sometimes I worry that he does not connect the fans cheers and adulation to his own talent and actions. I mean I am not his mom or his family. I am not buying his cds or following his every performance or go to his concerts because of loyalty or because I want him to succeed. I go because he is a damn good singer and entertainer and is cute to boot and I am getting my money;s worth. I do think that he worries that he does not really deserve the cheers...he still does not get why we are here...

Love the banner. Very nice.

I agree with many of the comments about Clay. I don't think he really gets all the fan excitement about watching him perform or just watching him. When fans go too far sometimes, I believe it does embarrass him. Unfortunately, those who don't recognize themselves will never realize they are the OTT ones. Others who are perhaps overly sensitive to it and who are not doing anything to be concerned about will back off a little, which is a shame.