#33: Let's all chant "I think it can! I think it can! I think it can!"

FCA Thread Title  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What should the next thread title be at FCA?

• So, how about that Clay Aiken?
    • The guy is just endlessly fascinating, isn't he?
    • Artificial insemination, well at least we know he had a hand in it.
    • If you claim he's got titanium balls, why not let him use them?
    • I'm happy to let Clay do whatever he wants.
    • I have ears and a brain and a heart, and I like what OMWH does to them.
    • Magical Mercurial Music Maker!
    • Clay--still the one.
    • In general, his voice just DOES something good to me. It makes things seem...better, somehow.

Good day, all.

Tijala, welcome home. Did I see that you're from Spokane? I grew up in Sandpoint and my sisters live in Spokane. We're practically family already!

To reply to Clay related stuff in the AI thread.....

I'm just not so sure that he can afford to be eccentric in his song choices anymore. I love OMWH but it's clearly for his fans and perhaps not a wider audience? Just posing that little gem. When people keep cracking on his song choices but praise his voice than clearly there's some kind of a message there. Not so sure Clay cares to listen though - he loves this CD and the concept and the songs. I guess the next CD will tell us what he's learned from this one. I sure do hope its a sleeper though.

I think that your "eccentric" is Clay's personal preference in song choice. He prolly thinks hip-hop is eccentric. This is where I think there is the biggest divide in fandom - some want to hear and see what he chooses to do next, some are sure that if he sings different songs and does other things differently, he would get more popular acclaim. Clay seems to have told us that he is gonna do as he likes, not pick stuff just because it is "marketable". I don''t get the impression that being a pop star is the only thing that he wants to do or that matters the very most to him. Don't think he will start to choose songs to please reviewers or individual fans either, JMO.

I think he is creatng his own niche, not trying to fit in any of the ones fans or critics have wanted him to change himself for.

Also firmly believe that when he does change things, it is because he wants to and not because of "market research".

I only have a few minutes before I head off to work but I wanted to respond to this. I completely agree with this. I think Clay is doing what is right for him because he is never going to please every fan, critic, or dj, so he does what he likes and wants and I completely respect him for that. It also helps that he sings music that I like to hear, although I haven't heard anything that came out of his mouth that I didn't, unless it was that he might not tour this year, or something like that.

And KAndre, thanks for helping us newbies not feel so left out of this thread. I would love to meet all of you but with all the talk about the friendships made, I was starting to feel like I did all through my school years. I've always been one of those square pegs that never seemed to fit in. I'm more comfortable with it now, and can actually appreciate being different, however there are days when I still wish that I was part of the crowd.

Heh...nothing so MEEEE! than quoting myself, huh? But Iseeme, I just wanted to make sure you know that this post was in no way specifically addressing or judging yours! Nope...as I mentioned, I just started meandering through the mangled neurons in the old brain matter and this stuff oozed out...Your points I quoted were really just the sparks that got my thoughts skittering here and there...no worries! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I could be wrong but I think Ruben got derailed with piss-poor management and his family's sucking him dry!
Iseeme, what do you mean here about his family? I've always liked Ruben...and I like the sound of his voice. That he and Clay remain good friends tells me a lot about Ruben, actually. I'm seriously concerned about his health, however, after seeing him on the finale recently.

When people keep cracking on his song choices but praise his voice than clearly there's some kind of a message there. Not so sure Clay cares to listen though - he loves this CD and the concept and the songs. I guess the next CD will tell us what he's learned from this one. I sure do hope its a sleeper though.
This is interesting. I do see the rationale behind this idea, and it makes me think how we (the fans) have reacted to/discussed the 'worth' of each of Clay's cds.

MOAM---the high sales came from Clay being on the heels of the American Idol machinery and hoopla; the cd was 'over produced' and didn't let Clay's voice shine--too much SOUND, etc....Sales of that CD also dropped after the first big push...(although almost 3 million copies ain't nuthin' to sneeze at!)

MCWL--platinum holiday sales; voice is MADE for these songs; many 'nju' bought because of perception of that match

ATDW--poor Clay--'only went gold'! MANDATED to sing tired loved songs; RCA out to ruin his career; retreads and ho-hum according to the critics; fans in love with Clay's one writing credit; covers expected by those who diss him anyway; Clay destined for obsurity because he's singing schmaltzy covers, etc.

OMWH--only dubuted FOURTH?!?!? less than 100,000 first week---sign of imminent failure; cool! some uptempo songs! NJU don't like the uptempo songs. SOU beautiful or syrupy; EIDN---ooh, Clay's growling at us! Fake funk?; lyrics so meaningful/lyrics maudlin and overly sentimental trite and the cd's depressing; dayum, what a voice!/production is so OTT and 'canned'

The fans and critics exchange seats now and then in their assessment of Clay's music, but there's always some reason/excuse found for Clay not being THE BEST SELLING AND MOST CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED MUSICAL ARTIST IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT! :rolleyes:

I honestly think that NEEDING that "BEST of SHOW" designation is what hinders some fans from truly enjoying their fandom. If Clay isn't better than everyone else out there---as reflected in rankings and numbers and radio play and critics' praise--then something's 'wrong', either with him or his management or the label or his dogs or....

BTW, this is merely an unprepared rambling--I do not profess to have researched anything, nor do I have footnotes for any of my allegations! :cryingwlaughter:

I'm just flappin' my jaws 'coss I wanna go home and not be here at the office pretending I'm actually DOING something productive. Bear with me, 'kay? :lilredani:

Good day, all.

Tijala, welcome home. Did I see that you're from Spokane? I grew up in Sandpoint and my sisters live in Spokane. We're practically family already!

Not Tijala....but it was me you got the Spokane from, so let me correct that. No, not Spokane, she lives in Montana; but it was in Spokane that we met.

I love Sandpoint AND Spokane! Two of my favorite places when I lived out West. Going to PM you, actually....I have a bit of a favor I won't bother the board with.

It ain't just us and it ain't just Clay.

Good point and it's going to be interesting to see how DC's career grows. I do see some similarities in qualities of the two men---I know that DC's the first guy on the show since Clay that I actually find myself attracted to in interesting ways. Never mind 'pretty boys' like Ace and Michael John, etc. DC's got a twinkle in his eye and a knowing something in his grin that makes me think there's something worth finding out about, you know?

I find DC interesting, too, also the first since Clay. Definitely not the same kind of interest, but interest nonetheless.

Tijala, we're practically neighbors! Well, I'm in Central Washington, closer to Seattle than Spokane, but still, it's nice to "see" a Washington face! I've heard that the fan group in Spokane is (or was) quite active.

When DH and I were headed to St. Paul for NAT my mother could not believe that we were getting together with people that I met on the in.ter.net. She was appalled and very frightened for us. Probably thought she'd never see us again. :cryingwlaughter: Now my family accepts my friendships, but still makes fun of our traveling to see Clay.

Now, back to my usually lurking...

Yikes...I just lost the post I have been composing for the last half hour.

bottlecap

I'm by no means a marketing maven nor do I play one on the boards, but I do have some thoughts about Clay's relative silence. I think it would not really have been to his benefit to do any hard-core promo* this week, as it would have been muffled and overshadowed by all the noise surrounding the AI hoopla. As it is, Clay gets a bunch of collateral mentions in the David vs. David chatter - most of which seems to have been positive. The timing of the release of OMWH means that it gets noted in the "Where Are They Now / Successful Past Idols" blurbs. Cooksy gets to do his victory lap this week and suck up all the press attention. In the next week or so, the media will have moved on from AI and Clay can pop up again, with the AOL Sessions and Leno and Kimmel repeats and hopefully some other new stuff we don't yet know about. It's all good!

Thanks for you for your perspective on Clay's silence. As well as this the guy does need a rest before going once more into the fray.

Welcome Tijala (darn I can't get the emoticons to show all..so imagine a bouncy happy smiley here)

Thanks luckiest1 for the free ringtone info. I am pretty clueless when it comes to my cell phone. I think I might have taken a handful of pix on it since I got it over a year ago and that included one of the Schubert Theatre. An usher came pretty quickly to inform me that was not allowed... and even tho' I can always use another pretty picture of Clay it was 10 minutes to curtain time and I just wanted a picture of the pretty theatre.

ldyjocelyn

I'm also unfortunate in that I have no one close to me, geographic wise, as a Clay buddy. No Cluncheons for me, sadly. I really wish I had something like that, a regular time when I could let my fangirl out a bit more.

Me too....no one close to me. I had the pleasure of having lunch with KarenEh in Houston last spring and babbled away for the whole time. I had never had that pleasure of talking about my Clay obsession to someone who completely understood. It was a great feeling.

Which reminds me I hope that when I visit Houston at the end of October can I meet the posse. Pleeease? (imagine a pleading smiley here)

goldarngirl can vouch for me...goldarngirl was generous enough to respond to a post of a Clay concert newbie asking about Sterling Heights which resulted in my visiting her and travelling to the concert with her. It was my very first Clay concert. It was all very exciting and a little overwhelming. There I met a fan from Winnipeg whom I had met on LBFCA and had been e-mailing and in December joined her in Minneapolis and again in New York in April.

Even tho' I have always thought that it would be wonderful to visit New York, I never thought that I actually would. Love of Clay and having 3 enthusiastic Clay fans to join up with made it possible for me.

A year and a half ago it would never have occurred to me that I could form a friendship with someone halfway across this country, stay with her and her family and then join the cavalcade of fans going to a concert in Michigan. A year ago, the idea that I would go see the same musical 4 times in the space of 5 days would seem totally improbable and tho' I did enjoy The Lion King, I wish I had seen Spamalot for the fifth time. If I lived in Ontario, I would go to New York every spring and stay in a hostel just so that I could explore the museums, having got a taste of that in April.

Becoming an obsessive fan of Clay Aiken has opened up a an exciting new world to me.

And KAndre, thanks for helping us newbies not feel so left out of this thread. I would love to meet all of you but with all the talk about the friendships made, I was starting to feel like I did all through my school years. I've always been one of those square pegs that never seemed to fit in. I'm more comfortable with it now, and can actually appreciate being different, however there are days when I still wish that I was part of the crowd.

justclay, I've only been here 2 days longer than you! It is intimidating when people know each other, but I just said WTH and jumped into posting with both feet. Which might explain how I've managed so many posts even though I'm usually shy.... :blush:

I've always been one of those square pegs that never seemed to fit in.

Hey, justclay! You and Clay have a cun.neck.shun! His current interview schtick is to call himself a square peg being forced into a round hole.

Muski takes a Jemock moment here... :hubbahubba:

I just announced to two coworkers that the meeting we'd originally scheduled for today at 2 will be moved to 11:30...then I'm cutting classes for the rest of the day! :clap: Not getting anything done anyway...

That's my rationale. Think it'll work on the boss? :lilredani:

Via CV

Crooked Turret

Clay Aiken’s “Something About Us”

May 23, 2008 at 10:09 pm (Music) (American Idol, Clay Aiken, Entertainment, lyrics, Music, On My Way Here, Pop, Regie Hamm, Something About Us, The Way, Time of My Life)

One of the pleasures of listening to Clay’s On My Way Here is that it features a variety of sounds, from songs which are more pop to songs that have rock, r&b, or jazz influences, like “Something About Us” (Track 4).

I have to be honest. I first heard “Something About Us” when snippets from the CDs were put up on an online retailer’s site, and was a wee bit disappointed. I thought it sounded old. But once I got hold of the CD, and heard the song in its entirety, it became one of my favourite songs on there. The jazzy arrangement complements the deeply romantic lyrics perfectly. And the whole effect is rather cool (not dated at all). Plus LOVE Clay’s vocal work on this song.

My favourite line? “It’s old and new / It’s a classic tale of two / in a perfectly perfect love” . It captures perfectly what I like about this song, that it feels so timeless.

Clay mentioned that he found this track himself while wandering around songwriters’ myspace pages. And that he thinks it’s a beautiful song (Which it is). I find it interesting that this song has so much in common with “The Way” from Clay’s Measure of a Man CD. I’m SO tempted to extrapolate here that Clay is extremely idealistic when it comes to romance. I think myself that you stand a higher chance of finding a partner if you’ve a more practical outlook… And I better stop right there before I put my foot further in it. I don’t KNOW Clay, so who am I to comment, eh?

Interesting American Idol connection:

Regie Hamm, one of the co-writers of “Something About Us“, just won the American Idol Songwriter contest with the song “Time of My Life” (and will have his song released by David Cook).

Know nothing about this person but he did a great job of encapsulating SAU, IMO.

To reply to Clay related stuff in the AI thread.....

I'm just not so sure that he can afford to be eccentric in his song choices anymore. I love OMWH but it's clearly for his fans and perhaps not a wider audience? Just posing that little gem. When people keep cracking on his song choices but praise his voice than clearly there's some kind of a message there. Not so sure Clay cares to listen though - he loves this CD and the concept and the songs. I guess the next CD will tell us what he's learned from this one. I sure do hope its a sleeper though.

I think that your "eccentric" is Clay's personal preference in song choice. He prolly thinks hip-hop is eccentric. This is where I think there is the biggest divide in fandom - some want to hear and see what he chooses to do next, some are sure that if he sings different songs and does other things differently, he would get more popular acclaim. Clay seems to have told us that he is gonna do as he likes, not pick stuff just because it is "marketable". I don''t get the impression that being a pop star is the only thing that he wants to do or that matters the very most to him. Don't think he will start to choose songs to please reviewers or individual fans either, JMO.

I think he is creatng his own niche, not trying to fit in any of the ones fans or critics have wanted him to change himself for.

Also firmly believe that when he does change things, it is because he wants to and not because of "market research".

I just want to word this whole post; my feelings exactly...I think there would be a lot less angst in the fandom if some would just accept Clay for who is instead of trying to mold him into who they want him to be.

There are day when I really want to ask some of the more critical fans why they are here; it seems like Clay will never live up to what they think he should be so why not move to a "pop star" who will meet their criteria for a successful "pop star".

Kim

I just want to word this whole post; my feelings exactly...I think there would be a lot less angst in the fandom if some would just accept Clay for who is instead of trying to mold him into who they want him to be.

Aikim - I'm NOT trying to change him and I DO accept him for who he is. I'm merely asking opinions for why you think people aren't buying this CD. Please don't misunderstand my post. It was just a basis for discussion.

Starting to wish I hadn't even bothered to bring this post over from the AI7 discussion because it's getting twisted in all kinds of directions it wasn't meant to be.

Via CV

Crooked Turret

Clay Aiken’s “Something About Us”

May 23, 2008 at 10:09 pm (Music) (American Idol, Clay Aiken, Entertainment, lyrics, Music, On My Way Here, Pop, Regie Hamm, Something About Us, The Way, Time of My Life)

One of the pleasures of listening to Clay’s On My Way Here is that it features a variety of sounds, from songs which are more pop to songs that have rock, r&b, or jazz influences, like “Something About Us” (Track 4).

I have to be honest. I first heard “Something About Us” when snippets from the CDs were put up on an online retailer’s site, and was a wee bit disappointed. I thought it sounded old. But once I got hold of the CD, and heard the song in its entirety, it became one of my favourite songs on there. The jazzy arrangement complements the deeply romantic lyrics perfectly. And the whole effect is rather cool (not dated at all). Plus LOVE Clay’s vocal work on this song.

My favourite line? “It’s old and new / It’s a classic tale of two / in a perfectly perfect love” . It captures perfectly what I like about this song, that it feels so timeless.

Clay mentioned that he found this track himself while wandering around songwriters’ myspace pages. And that he thinks it’s a beautiful song (Which it is). I find it interesting that this song has so much in common with “The Way” from Clay’s Measure of a Man CD. I’m SO tempted to extrapolate here that Clay is extremely idealistic when it comes to romance. I think myself that you stand a higher chance of finding a partner if you’ve a more practical outlook… And I better stop right there before I put my foot further in it. I don’t KNOW Clay, so who am I to comment, eh?

Interesting American Idol connection:

Regie Hamm, one of the co-writers of “Something About Us“, just won the American Idol Songwriter contest with the song “Time of My Life” (and will have his song released by David Cook).

Know nothing about this person but he did a great job of encapsulating SAU, IMO.

If I had to guess, I'd say it is a blog site of a Claymate. Seeing the song they selected to highlight and the use of the word "EXTRAPOLATE" :cryingwlaughter:

Aikim - I'm NOT trying to change him and I DO accept him for who he is. I'm merely asking opinions for why you think people aren't buying this CD. Please don't misunderstand my post. It was just a basis for discussion.

Starting to wish I hadn't even bothered to bring this post over from the AI7 discussion because it's getting twisted in all kinds of directions it wasn't meant to be.

Iseeme My post was not in response to your post at all, so please don't feel bad; just a general observation of posts I have seen recently and in the past. To be honest and I hope no one takes offense at this, but since I don't watch AI; I generally scroll by any posts having to do with AI.

I know people enjoy talking about the show and the contestants; etc., but it is just not my thing. I am sure there are those who skip over my posts all the time.

I actually enjoy your posts very much because you mirror my feelings quite often.

Kim

IMO, I don't think it's being twisted at all...but also IMO, I think the topics are pretty interrelated. "Clay isn't selling? OMG, he should change to make himself more marketable!" See where I'm going with this? I don't think that's what you were saying at all Iseeme, but there are many of us here who have read that opinion time and time again, and are a little battle-weary because of it.

I think one of the first questions that should be asked, really, is -- Is Clay really selling that badly? In comparisons to his earlier works, sure. But the comparisons really don't work anymore, because of the changes in climate in the music industry. So, I guess in that way, I would say that is my opinion and the answer to your question. The industry is in a terrible slump, plus the economy is in the toilet, and thus....less CD's are being bought. Period.

But at the same time -- there are many artists out there who would KILL to sell 10,000 copies in their second week, and sell over 100,000 in two weeks. So, in that way, he's a major success. It's just when compared to his previous sales, it pales. (See: previous paragraph.) I really do think that's the one big difference this go around.

As for his song choices -- well, Clay is Clay. He's gonna do what he's gonna do, and he seems willing to accept the consequences. If the songs he chooses for this album don't connect with a larger audience (for whatever reason) -- I still think his next album will be songs that he wants to choose again. It's that old "chicken and the egg" thing, IMO: an artist shouldn't make music that they think their patrons want, they should make music and art that they themselves want to make. Sometimes, gold is struck, and both the artist and patrons connect; but it frequently doesn't happen that way. And so, I think he'll just continue to make the music he wants, and if the albums don't sell, he'll deal with that.

It's all pretty relative, isn't it?

___

Clayzor, after actually going to that blog, I think you may be right about a fan writing it -- but is that such a bad thing? If it comes up in a blog search...*shrug* Rather see some gushing come that way about one of my favorite songs on the album *g* than some scuzzy scumbag rumor....

Rubs hands together thinking - Fresh Meat!!

Welcome newbies, hope you join in all the discussions.

Well, my vbattery is bout out and I won't be on much longer - came tothe beach to find my cable is out, sincie it is a holiday weekedn,they won't repair it until the day after I am gone, and I have to be there, so I have no repair apppointment. No cable TV, means no Tv at all - no reception at the beach , no radio, and no internet. I am at the library, but it is about to close for the long weekend. i see the trolls are at it in the news, no idea why, such jerks I will play my CD in my computer and play games, but nothing else I can do.

I should get a lot of work done with no distractions.

FIrst fan I met was Fearofh2o who called to tell me to watch AI, I hadd been resisting because I had a life them. This built in fan friend provided me with a room in NC and I provide one to her in the NYC area and he AC area. Saved us from having to rent rooms for the most part.

First non-family Clay fan - would be spot, who then intorduced me to TRunningfree, a local and a really nice person I get to see at most concerts.

After we all met up, we went off to the AI2 PROC dinner where HD and Daisybubmle were comparing BAF shirts and Jude was telling dog stories about her own sweet dog, Buzztechie was sharing camera tips, I can see the otehrs there, but the names are just skipping from my mind, so they sould forgive me. I am stresse,s must run.

Diane.

For something a little different (in other words, I spent all morning composing this stuff and I'm posting it now come hell or high water!)

Kimmel recap

Friday, May 16: Having successfully resisted the blandishments of Scarlett to leave on Thursday (unlike Solo, who is weak, weak I tell ya!), I leave on Friday and actually arrive at my gate at the airport while they are still boarding! It looks like I have a row to myself! I am wrong. Tottering down the aisle is a million year old lady. Who is really spry compared to the billion year old lady following her. And of course the million year old lady snags the aisle seat. And won’t give it up. So the billion year old lady has to wait for the million year old lady to get up so she can sit in the middle. Oh joy. And of course, since I made the mistake of drinking a cup on coffee that morning, I don’t quite make it to California before I desperately need to answer a call to nature. And neither of those old biddies are willing to move. I had to crawl over them, clinging desperately to the back of the seats in front to get out. And to get back in. And the one in the middle didn’t know how to work her seat belt. Or the tray. It was a long flight. After landing, I realize I had no earthly idea where anyone was. Except that PerusingOne was somewhere in Miami. I called Solo. She said to go check out the Kimmel line. I then realize I didn’t actually know where Kimmel was either, even though I had been there three times before. Solo sighed and told me to go to Hollywood and Highland. So off I went. I reported back to Solo that the Kimmel line was short and discovered that Scarlett had made her go to the Kimmel line too because she didn’t think I would get there in time. So instead of getting into the Kimmel line, we went and ate at California Pizza Kitchen. Then we got into line. Then we waited for someone to get into line behind us, made friends and abandoned the line because we were tired of sitting on the ground. So I noticed that Mac Cosmetics had some perfectly lovely chairs. And so we got make overs. Solo tried for that invisible makeup look. I let them go all out. But I did make Solo put on visible lipstick. And some guy tried to pick her up. So after a couple of hours we went back to the line. And apparently missed the lemonade stand and the bust. I’m sure we were broken-hearted. Uh huh. Scarlett showed up. And we waited in line. And waited. And waited some more. Then the Kimmel line made us stand in the sun. And after listening to us bitch, fetched us umbrellas. They let us in early though. We watched the same film clips that we always watch. We (they) cheered like they always cheer at Clay beating up Jimmy. Then they finally started to seat us. Ok, this part will be continued!

Saturday, May 17: Something is wrong with us. We wake up at 5:30 am. That psycho Solo opens the curtains and the morning lights comes in and stabs us repeatedly in the eyes. Damn California sunshine. We decide since we have the convertible to drive down the Pacific Coast Highway. Scarlett tries to convince us that San Francisco really isn’t that far away; unhappily for her, we all have access to Google maps. Solo, whom we trust no matter the evidence, suggests we just drive up to Santa Barbara on the 101 and take the PCH back down to Marina del Rey as there are just TONS and TONS of nice seafood restaurants all along the PCH. Having gone through all the little brochures we collected yesterday, we decide to have breakfast at the Farmer’s Markets. Of course, by the time we actually leave the hotel and get there, it’s actually lunch time. If Clay isn’t actually involved, our temporal senses are a tad weak. Just a tad. The Farmer’s Market has tons and tons of healthy stuff to eat immediately upon entering the Market which we immediately bypass in favor of other, more interesting things to eat. Scarlett decides on Cajun (because going all the way to Cali for Cajun food is just sensible), Han and PO decide on about 5 lbs each of a bunch of South American style meat (man, those bacon wrapped chicken things were good!) and I get some Cantonese style pork and chicken and noodles and stuff. We start noshing – and in the eHP, noshing is a free-for-all, if you see something good on somebody else’s plate, we will just help ourselves. They actually managed to give us too much food to finish – which is REALLY hard to do. So off we went to explore. And the further we went, the sicker I felt. At first, I think maybe I had a little sun sickness because we drove over here with the top down and I didn’t actually wear a hat and drinking water is usually beyond my capabilities. So I sit down and PO makes me drink like a whole HALF a bottle of water. At which at point my stomach says “screw this shit – something has GOT to GO” and I make a beeline back to the restrooms. Solo and PO sent Scarlett with me because she knows where they are which is a good thing as when she got there she started throwing up before I did. Damn that tasty pork!

Having accommodated our bellies, me ‘n Scarlett bought giant cute hats and me ‘n PO bought delightfully cheap sunglasses ($5 a pair!) and all of us went ahead and bought the healthy type food (Filipino mangos and cherries) and headed back to the parking lot where Scarlett proceeded to try and kill us by spraying tons of the most pungent sunblock I’ve have had the misfortune to come across. We kept screeching at her to turn around, she would make a 360 and spray us some more, giggling. We decide to go to Target and get sunblock that couldn’t be sprayed, and swimsuits because we were in Claifornia, the sun was hot, and Scarlett said the water would be nice. Do not trust Scarlett and comments about nice water. Roddy (my lovely new GPS – the eHP are very fond of his extraneous comments) found us a Target although the parking sort of sucked as apparently no one could convince the other drivers that more than one level had parking. Scarlett and I found swimsuits (mine was like nine bucks total), beach towels and sunscreen LOTION; Solo found some limeade, and we headed for Santa Barbara. Got in the convertible, dropped the top, and got on the 101. At which point, apparently something went wrong in the backseat, judging from the loud and colorful shrieking from the back seat. Scarlett (who had called shotgun) and I were perfectly fine. Perhaps something about the back seat led to some sort of hypochondria. Heh. Of course, I couldn’t put the top down while driving, and when we did hit traffic and I tried to put it down, it only went down part way and then I couldn’t see and the windows seemed to operate at random. We eventually get to Santa Barbara and find the beach, which is not at all crowded. Scarlett and I change into out swimsuits, ignoring the eyerolling from Han and PO, and walk across the warm sand to the water. WHICH FELT LIKE THEY HAD IT SHIPPED DIRECTLY FROM THE ICEBERG OFF ALASKA. Damn, that crap was COLD. And that little short dictator that goes by the pseudonym “Scarlett” had the mistaken impression that she could talk me into immersing more than 30% of my body in that excuse for a freezer. I’m sorry, there are certain body parts I possess that I like defrosted and plan to keep them that way. After approximately a grand total of three minutes in the water, I get out to try and get warm again. Solo and PO are willing to go in up to their ankles and immediately come out again. We eat some cherries and decide to try the scenic thing. I can’t figure out how to tell Roddy how to get to the PCH, so we just start driving aimlessly. We pass what looks to be a perfectly NICE restaurant, but noooooooo….Solo says there are TONS and TONS restaurants closer to Marina del Rey. So we drive up and down and around about and in and out and end up escaping some golf course. But it was very scenic. We eventually get back to the 101 and start looking for the PCH. And I sorta forgot about the bitching about the top down on the way up to Santa Barbara and accidentally leave the top down. And you all will be shocked to note that the bitching started up again! After lots of driving, we finally find the entrance to the PCH, pull over, and put the top up. Yay me! Scarlett spots a seafood restaurant. After we pass it. And with no way to turn around. But Solo says don’t worry about it. There are TONS and TONS of restaurants closer to Marina del Rey. After about 100 miles of driving and seeing NO restaurants, Solo sez, “Maybe I was thinking about another part of the PCH. Uh huh. Oooookay. Well, we got the bright idea to go to Santa Monica Beach and eat there. There are LOTS of restaurants there. One problem. Everyone else in the world seemed to have the same idea at the same frickin’ time. Damn them. We decide to go to the restaurant PO had picked out earlier, because by this time, PO seems to have passed out from hunger. Except we didn’t actually know where the restaurant was. So we went back to the hotel. Where I ran upstairs to Google the restaurant. Except the maid had unplugged my computer. So by the time I finished cussing, logging back on, finding something to write on, writing it down and headed back for the car, PO said “fuck it all” and went to the hotel room to lie down. So me and Solo and Scarlett, exhausted but hungry, head to this restaurant. I begin to think that PO abandoned us on purpose. We get to the restaurant, valet park, look at the frou-frou interior, and decide sand and shorts are universally accepted everywhere. We are seated and promptly ignored for the next 20 minutes, while looking at the freakishly overprice menu. They actually named their entrees. I was semi interested in “Sam” who was caught by “Captain Bob” somewhere in Virginia. Scarlett commented, “What? They don’t have fish in the Pacific? Ooookay!” The heads thumping on the table as we repeatedly nodded off eventually caught a random waiters attention and we were eventually allowed to order the world’s nastiest chicken soup, and some sushi rolls that we were apparently supposed to eat with our fingers as it was apparently to much to ask that they would bring chopsticks and a soup spoon with our meal. A manager showed up and made noises about how sad he was we were ignored – we grumbled something and he went away. We asked for our check. That took another 20 minutes to show up. The check then had some $10 charge on it that I know perfectly well we didn’t order. The manager shows up after we get the check with little boxes. With some cheap ass cookies in them. He says compliments of the restaurant. I question the $10 charge. He says, oh see! We deducted it later. Yeah, but it was in the part usually used to calculate the tip. I do NOT like this restaurant. At ALL. And it turned out that the valet parking was not complimentary. OK, now I HATE this restaurant. We manage to make it back to the hotel in one piece. PO is taking up three quarters of the bed. I poke her, but she doesn’t move over. I claim my teensy corner and plot revenge.

Sunday, May 18: What the hell did we do Sunday? Oh yeah. We found this GREAT breakfast place that Solo insisted we could walk to (but we drove. We are in California. I think walking is illegal). They had a delicious chocolate chai – and for some reason, Scarlett got an ostrich burger. We decide to go and see “Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay” which so stupidly funny it was just wrong and on the way there we saw a PR God (at least that what it said on his license plate) and if we find him again, I’m sure we will refer him to Clay. After the movie, Scarlet made us walk down the Santa Monica pier so she could ride this crappy roller coaster. Then we had to walk up the pier again. Then we though we would go to Venice Beach. Apparently with everyone else on the freakin’ continent followed us from last night in Santa Monica. We went back to have dinner across the street from where we had breakfast at this nice Italian place next to the naked man building. We park across the street. It turns out that PO has some sort of policy against being hit by a car so she makes us go to the corner to cross the street. Of course, paying attention to street lights is something people do who are NOT in the eHP, so that not getting hit by cars things seems to be intermittent. This restaurant was GREAT (I told our waiter that the other restaurant sucked but apparently it sucked so badly I gave the wrong name). The waiter warned us that the bread was addictive and not to fill up on it – that the portions were HUGE – and that we would have to ask for water. All of which turned out to be true. We didn’t even have room for dessert. Being that full, me and Scarlett and Solo said screw walking to the corner and strolled across the street. Guess who didn’t even make the attempt? We had to drive across the street to get her lazy butt! And she was proud of that!

Monday, May 19: We wake up AGAIN at 5 freakin’ thirty in the morning. It’s like some sort of punishment from our brains. We pretend to sleep but it’s inevitable – someone’s laptop is open and they are laughing loudly at a variety of things that they feel obligated to share with us. Because if we can’t sleep, no one is sleeping. We piddle around until around nine and me and PerusingOne abandon Solo and Scarlett, having agreed to meet them for lunch at the Farmer’s Market, planning to carefully avoid the Chinese food place, tasty though it was. At least going down. We hop in the convertible, put the top down, and head for Target, as PerusingOne was not as forward thinking as me and Scarlett and didn’t buy a swimsuit Saturday. And I needed stuff to eliminate all evidence of my horrible car karma for this weekend. We arrive at Target at 9:35. Our massage appointment is at 10:00. I tell PerusingOne that we gotta be at the massage place in 20 minutes, and she claims to have heard that I said she had twenty minutes to shop – and since she wasn’t Scarlett that would be plenty of time! I acquired some stuff in an orange bottle GUARANTEED to get rid of scratches and am out of the store and applying the goop by 9:40. I am shocked that the goop actually worked on 80% of the marks! But there’s no PerusingOne. She finally comes trailing her happy butt out at 9:51! But we say what the hey and take off, arriving at the massage place at 10:10. They seem to be happy to see us and off we go to our separate rooms. OMG, that was one of the best $55 for 60 minutes I’ve gotten and they kept us a little past 11 even though we were late. Healing Hands totally ROCKS people! Of course, as my therapist tells me goodbye, she mentions to PerusingOne that she hopes we enjoy our next concert and PO turns on me like a rabid badger. I say it was better for me to tell her that I met her at a Clay Aiken concert as opposed to the diviest karaoke bar known to mankind in Las Vegas. PO thought about it for a second, and agreed, and off we went to Beverly Springs (even though I sort of lost the directions). Roddy likes the back way (oh yes he does) but he’s quick and we pull up to the perfectly lovely building covered in green marble. There are lion dog statues at the entrance and lots of running water. We pay our $30, pick up our towels and head to the ladies locker room. And the first thing we see are some gorgeous cherrywood lockers, some really nice and big cloisonné jars, a lot of comfortable looking couches and a stark naked old Asian lady sitting in front of the lit fireplace, rubbing various parts I really didn’t want to see. PO and I think maybe she’s just really, really comfortable in the dressing room and we put on our swimsuits and head to the door accessing the springs. As we pass by the naked old Asian lady, she looks us up and down, puts her hand over her mouth, points a finger at us and laughs. Loudly. I poke PO to see why she’s laughing at us, PO shrugs and goes through the door, upon which we discover that this is apparently the gather place for a variety of old nekkid ladies. They are everywhere. Now, PO and I are probably the edgiest members of the eHP – we have so much street cred it’s coming out of our ears and this episode just confirms that. We always buck the crowd. If everyone else is nekkid, we are gonna cover our shit up. Because we’re cool like that. Yeah. That’s the ticket. Cool. We creep into the hot springs and even at the shallow end, they are serious about it being HOT. But lord, it felt GOOD. They built a fountain in the middle where the water was bubbling up and had a waterfall in a grotto with a skinny Buddha. It was seriously nice. After about 15 minutes we got out with wobbly legs and sat in chairs in front of ANOTHER lit fireplace, while waiting for the old nekkid ladies to abandon the chaises. While we were waiting, a young cute black girl was being shown around. Clothed. But carrying a towel. Me and PO decided, oh yeah, we will soon have company in our clothed coolness. But she came back out. Nekkid too. She was so not cool, we couldn’t hang around her. By then the chaise lounges freed up and we wandered in there. And totally relaxed. Except PO tried to drape her towel over herself to look like she was nekkid too. And another nekkid lady was lying next to us in a total Aphrodite pose only instead of having her hand over her hoohaw, she had the green hair net thingie that they gave us with the towels. But we did the hot springs again, and actually immersed ourselves in the cold water (I swear, it should have had ice cubes in the thing, but man it felt good!) and we did the sauna and the dry heat and tried not to look at the sit down showers and the various parts being washed. And yes, we showered in our swimsuits too. Because we are CUTTING EDGE. It was so totally worth the 30 bucks.

As we left the Beverly Springs, I was commenting to PO why they went with such a Asian theme (which I really liked), looked up and realized we were in some sort of (whatever flavor of Far East)town, with the dual language signs and everything. PO helpfully commented that she thought it was Japanese (even though she doesn’t know what Japanese script looks like) because it didn’t look Korean (even though she doesn’t know what Korean script looks like either). She could recognize German though, and that wasn’t it. So off we went to the Farmer’s Market, finally answering the numerous calls Solo had left us, and confirmed that she and Scarlett were on their way, and that they had already eaten, because they had decided to go off to some aquarium. I got a seriously good gyro plate, PO got a burrito with the good mole (we trust California and Mexican food – no bar-b-que though. We have standards and they start and stop with Texas. KAndre does a fairly rude gesture in the direction of one Mr. Clay Aiken and his mustard based NC stuff.). We also go to get a slushy from the place we got our slushy on Saturday, but there was a different young dude there. Who wasn’t half as charming as he didn’t want to sell us the giant 44 oz slushie for $4 like the other perfectly lovely man. He said he would have to charge me twice as much. PO felt the need to translate for him. I refrained from thumping her. Eventually Solo and Scarlett caught up with us (after a few minutes of “To your right – your right – your OTHER right – ok, back up – behind the crepes but in front of the watermelon juice – yes, there are really crepes in front of us – why would we make that up – ok, turn around 286.5 degrees to your left – hop on one foot – why? – because we can see your butt and if you actually look up you can see us too), and Solo went to get some more food. Because we are very fond of food. Of course, as soon as she got the chicken wings (not as good as the Philly chicken wings, but pretty damn good), Scarlett immediately declared she wanted chicken wings too. Which she wouldn’t have eaten. But we did let her get lemonade. Lots and lots of lemonade. We piddle around at the Farmer’s Market until it is time to get Scarlett back to the hotel to make her flight.

Once we see Scarlett off, we mess around in the hotel until we determine we have enough time to watch DwtS. And then PO has the bright idea of getting some to eat before DwtS starts. And it should be sushi to go, as Solo said there was a sushi place right across the street. And I had to go and to drive them for no particularly reason that I could see BECAUSE I WASN’T ACTUALLY HUNGRY considering we had just EATEN two hours ago. So we get in the car, and I ask Solo where the sushi place is, and she responds, “How the hell should I know”, and PO says, “Well, you saw it” and Solo says, “Well you saw it too”, and PO says “Like you expect me to remember things I see”, and then they start looking up random sushi places, and refuse to go into a perfectly lovely sushi place that had a great big sign out front saying “50% off all sushi”, and PO picks one and gives me the address and when we pass a sushi at that address and ask her to confirm she says “What? Who? How?” and doesn’t actually say frickin’ “Yes” until we have passed it and I couldn’t exactly do a U-turn in the middle of an intersection and we make the block and manage to get there. They go into to the sushi place and apparently get sucked into sort of interdimensional time warp because I look up and it’s been 45 freakin’ minutes, and I don’t know about you people but the words “pick up to-go” and sitting on my ass in the car forever and a day don’t see to go together. And of course I had left my cell in the hotel room. So I march into the restaurant to discover that Han and PO had been making bets with each other to see how long it would take for me to say “fuck it all” and come in looking for them. Because they didn’t have their cells either. And of course the temperature had started to drop like a frickin’ brick. And the stupid restaurant had their frickin’ front door OPEN. So after another 15 minutes of grumbling, growling and bitching, they bring out their order. We start heading for the car. Han looks in the back and discover the bastards had given them the wrong food. I say eat it anyway! But nooooooo they want what the fuck they ordered. They go back into the restaurant. I go back to the car, turn it on and turn on the frickin’ heat. Another 20 minutes later (and oh yes, I think HARD about the fact that we coulda had a frickin’ 3 course sit down meal in the time it took for us to get this “fast food to go”) they eventually show up and back to the hotel we go.

Han and PO ate the stuff they recognized and abandoned what they didn’t, we eventually pack up all the stuff we are taking with us, and off to the airport go me and PO. After an uneventful 10 minutes drive, we drop off the car at Hertz and Hertz takes us to the airport, still uneventfully. PO is actually like an hour early for her flight – I am actually almost 2½ hours early. I sit around waiting for the plane to board. The plane is at the gate early. I am feeling good. Everyone is seated. I am in the front exit row. All by myself. I move to the middle row so I can take up all the space. A drunken man is escorted out of first class, and I can hear him commenting, “Well, I had first class on the other flight – it was a natural mistake – do I have to give the drink back?” Yeah, right. He sits next to me. I roll my eyes and move to the window seat. He doesn’t want to put his stupid bag in a stupid overhead. He says it’s a Mother’s Day present for his wife. He says he lost his wife in a poker game last year. He says he just won her back this year. He says you don’t really wanna talk to me, right? I say, “Right.” Finally. Everyone is on the plane and in their seat. Early. I can feel a miracle taking shape! The stewardess is asking the captain can we take off early! Oh yes, YES! They are shutting the door! The skyway is pulling back! And we are just sitting there. And sitting there. It’s like they ordered sushi. The pilot eventually comes on and says, “Well, they sort of dropped something out there. So we had to cut off the engines. And we need some sort of official dude to put it back. Then they have to fill out some paperwork. Then we can go.” We finally take off 1½ hours after our official departure time. Aaaarrrrgh.

Hey Iseeme, if I replace the word "eccentric" with "eclectic" in your post, I kind of agree with your point. I do believe that this CD was really as much a gift to the fans who have stuck by him as it is a picture of what type of music Clay likes to sing. I think his comments (roughly paraphrased) about "don't expect to hear Ashes, EIDN, Falling on the radio" speak to that, as well. They are songs that he must have expected many in the fandom to enjoy, and I bet he looks forward to singing them in concert as much as we look forward to hearing them! However, your point about people cracking on his song choices (and may I also add his choice of lyrics) but not his voice rings true, to me. Critics and some of the "NJU" clearly can't seem to warm up to him singing uptempo music, or funky music, or green eyed soul, or what have you. They have him squarely in their own little boxes (mainly the ballad box). I think Clay enjoys singing many types of music, and doesn't want to be put in any box, and I hope he doesn't take too much of what is said in reviews to heart. I love this CD and I love that he allowed himself to experiment with different genres and sounds. But your comment about "not sure he can afford to be eccentric eclectic" ;) means, to me, that maybe you feel his lower sales this time around are as a result of that? I am not sure I agree with that, if so.

I think one of the first questions that should be asked, really, is -- Is Clay really selling that badly? In comparisons to his earlier works, sure. But the comparisons really don't work anymore, because of the changes in climate in the music industry. So, I guess in that way, I would say that is my opinion and the answer to your question. The industry is in a terrible slump, plus the economy is in the toilet, and thus....less CD's are being bought. Period.

But at the same time -- there are many artists out there who would KILL to sell 10,000 copies in their second week, and sell over 100,000 in two weeks. So, in that way, he's a major success. It's just when compared to his previous sales, it pales. (See: previous paragraph.) I really do think that's the one big difference this go around.

Exactly! It's like comparing apples and oranges. And here I am, eating my own words, because I didn't really realize just how much the market had changed before we started watching the OMWH numbers roll in. I predicted he'd sell at least as many as ATDW in his first week. Maybe it's just my usual rose coloured glasses talking, but I now think that you can't compare this year's numbers with even last year's numbers, let alone 2006 or, God forbid, 2003. I keep reading that this CD has sold so poorly......yet I don't consider #4 and over 100,000 to be poor at all. JMO obviously.

And now for something completely different......heh........this very informative post about Clay's studio musicians used on OMWH, from berkeley at the CH:

I’ve been meaning to take a look at the histories of the musicians and technicians who contributed to "On My Way Here" since the credits were first available --- hey, I read movie credits, too, since I’ve been in them and I see the names of friends all of the time.

It took me two weeks, but as I Googled their names, I laughed --- and then I laughed harder.

The men in the "On My Way Here" video bear no resemblance to the Central Casting pop band in the “Invisible” video. They have the look of people who have been around a while, and everything I could hear as I listened to the album revealed remarkable levels of musicianship. One of them, the guitarist, even looked a bit familiar to me, and I thought it was interesting that the pianist was allowed to sing on the CD.

The CD reviews were so at odds with the evidence of my own ears. On song after song, supporting Clay’s extraordinary voice, interpretive skills and growing artistry, I could hear some especially fine musicianship and the same kind of top-flight production that earned Kipper and Sting a Grammy for Best Pop Album.

These are the men behind the “uninspired, stock music.”

Keith Carlock - Drums (links to his MySpace):

Keith has played and/or toured with Steely Dan, Sting, James Taylor, Donald Fagen, Walter Becker, Diana Ross, Faith Hill, The Blues Brothers Band, Leni Stern, David Johansen and the Harry Smiths, Richard Bona, Chris Botti, Wayne Krantz, Harry Belafonte, Oz Noy, Paula Abdul and Grover Washington, Jr, to name a few.

Keith was recently voted number 1 Pop drummer and number 3 Best All-Around in Modern Drummer's 2008 Readers Poll.

There's some interesting stuff at Keith's website and in this article from Drummer World Magazine.

Freddie Washington – Bass (links to his website):

Freddie joined Herbie Hancock’s band at age 19, and has played in sessions or on tour with Steely Dan, Michael Jackson, Al Jarreau, Aaron Neville, Lionel Richie, Anita Baker, B.B. King, Elton John, Stevie Wonder and Whitney Houston, Donald Fagen, The Crusaders, George Benson, Denise Williams, Johnny Mathis, Burt Bacharach, and Kenny Loggins.

He has a platinum record as the songwriter of Patrice Rushen’s smash hit, “Forget Me Nots.”

Here is Freddie's Bio and a great article on his work with Donald Fagen from Bass Player.

Jon Herington – Guitar (links to his MySpace):

Jon has played with Steely Dan for both recording and touring. Jon has also toured with Donald Fagen, Boz Scaggs, Bette Midler, Phoebe Snow, Madeleine Peyroux, saxophonist Bill Evans, the contemporary jazz superband Chroma, and jazz/blues organ great Jack McDuff.

Read Jon's Profile and his reviews at his website, and watch him featured on "My Old School" in this AOL video of Steely Dan.

Jeff Young – Piano, Organ, Vocals (links to his MySpace):

Jeff has played with Steely Dan, Sting, Boz Scaggs, Jackson Browne, Shawn Colvin, Phoebe Snow, Michael McDonald, Curtis Stigers and many more. He appeared in the acclaimed Broadway musical “Gospel at Colonus.” Vonda Shepard once sang in his band, leading to Jeff being hired to play for several episodes of “Ally McBeal.”

Back in February, I mentioned him before when I posted this from Kipper's website:

1 March 2007

USA trip and new music

I am currently in the good ol’ US of A travelling coast to coast. I have been to New York for A&R meetings then up to Chicago to work and hang out with my good friend and writer extroadinaire Richard Marx then down to Nashville and now in LA staying with Jeff Young of Steely Dan and Jackson Brown fame, now this man can play the Hammond!! I lunched with Julia Fordham at Shutters on the beach and visited legendary producer Bob Clearmountain and his wife Betty, what a treat and sat in on a mix session for a new Bruce Springsteen DVD.

There's a connection between these four musicians.

The men on this CD are the longtime Steely Dan band, backing Donald Fagen and Walter Becker --- and not a single one of these “music critics” recognized them or their musicianship.

Fusing jazz, pop and blues, multiple Grammy-winners Steely Dan (Donald Fagen and Walter Becker) are one of the most acclaimed bands in music history. They are members of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

See Clay's session men at work with Steely Dan HERE under “pics from the road.”

Assumptions are an interesting thing. Critic after critic, determined to dismiss any effort Clay put forward, wrote reviews with little or no bearing on the reality of the music on "On My Way Here" --- right down to trashing musicians they had praised in other reviews. According to multiple sources, Keith, Freddie, Jon and Jeff are considered among the best session men in the world --- unless they are playing with Clay Aiken.

And as for the “sound” of the album:

It was recorded and mixed by Nathaniel Kunkel (links to his MySpace.)

Nathaniel’s work with Sheila Nicholls, The Crystal Method, Lyle Lovett, Graham Nash, James Taylor, and Sting, among others, “has earned him the reputation of being one of the foremost authorities on engineering in surround sound.

“Nathaniel’s mix work has garnered him industry acclaim and awards, including Grammy awards for his work with Lyle Lovett, B.B. King, The Trio (Emmylou Harris, Linda Ronstadt and Dolly Parton), and comedian Robin Williams; Surround Music Awards for his work with Graham Nash, James Taylor and Insane Clown Posse; and an Emmy for his recent work with Sting.”

Nathaniel is the son of drummer Russell Kunkel, a longtime James Taylor sideman.

Here's a great article on his work with David Crosby and Graham Nach from Mix Online, "the world's leading magazine for the professional recording and sound production technology industry."

Read about his Studio Without Walls, and check out the artists Nathaniel has worked with.

Finally, Cameron Craig engineered the strings. (links to his MySpace)

Cameron is a Grammy-winner who has worked with Duffy, The Hours, Suzanne Vega, Amy Winehouse, Tina Turner, Joe Strummer, Garbage and Blur, among many others.

Unfortunately, none of these websites are up to date, so there's no mention of their work with Clay. (I suppose RCA didn't think it was worthy of note in their press release.)

So it doesn’t matter what some critics say, because they clearly don’t have a clue. I know that Clay got the best in the business to work on this album, people with experience, artistry, awards and respect within the music industry, where it really counts.

Working with Kipper and Jaymes Foster, Clay Aiken got to work with the best --- and the results are evident on "On My Way Here". It’s only fitting, because Clay is one of the best, as well.

I guess I'm going to have to show the recording credits to my husband -- the big Steely Dan fan. As a matter of fact, my husband, his brother, and I are going to see Steely Dan live in Chicago in a few months. I wonder if these guys will be there. Anyway, I'll have to print this out and give it to my husband....

OTOH -- Steely Dan, while in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, was also wildly derided when one of their albums won Album of the Year a few years ago. IMO, they were probably considered the "cool kids" in the 1970's, but today? Not so much.

Which of course means that "cool" is a damn stupid thing to me.

*looks at profile location longingly*

Luckiest - "eclectic" is a better word! Thank you.

I guess I don't agree that he's not doing too badly! Yes there are alot of artists out there that would kill to sell 100,000 CDs in 2 weeks but they aren't necessarily someone of Clay's stature. I just hope he doesn't drop in to oblivion in the coming weeks. To drop 81% the second week isn't exactly something to cheer about.

It's a beautiful CD and Berkeley's post just points out the care that was put in to making it! And it just makes me feel like there is so much prejudice out there against Clay that the asshat critics don't even bother to pay much attention to the CD or the musicians......it was Clay singing so therefore pfffft!!!

My concern is whether he'll be allowed to make CDs that only sell 100,000-200,000 copies. That was an impressive list of musicians and I don't imagine they came cheap. Kipper probably required more than $1.98 to produce the CD. So.....who pays for all that if the CD doesn't sell enough to break even for the label. Okay, I'm just going through some mental meanderings....what ifs and how comes. I don't expect answers.

I don't know the answer to the CD question; Clay and RCA are the only ones who know what was expected and whether Clay achieved that nor not and as always, I figure there is so much more that we don't know than we do...so I really hate to speculate in "what ifs".

I just don't think a successful CD is the be all and end all for Clay's career and I hope that he is not putting all his eggs in that particular basket and given his decision to do Spamalot, I don't think he is.

My philosophy has always been to take life one day at a time, because we don't know what tomorrow will bring and that is how I approach Clay and his career...I am just going to enjoy his music and whatever happens next, happens...and I hope it will be just as exciting to the fandom as Spamalot was.

Kim

ringbacks? ringtones? Hell, I haven't even turned on my 'voice' recognition thingy yet on my phone! :cryingwlaughter: However, that ringback concept has me thinking devilishly of putting Clay ringbacks for my various family members!

BWAH! Let's see...which bit can I have older, disdainful teenaged daughter hear when she calls me to tell me about her latest 'going with Lauren to the movies' social calendar entry? :whistling-1:

And for the soon-to-be 13 year old daughter who openly disses me any time Clay's name comes up? Hmmm....that one will be fun to choose. <_<

And for DH---Something About Us, no doubt. :wub:

kewl! :mockery-046:

muski... how about I Survived You for one of them... hopefully you both will... :cryingwlaughter:

justclay... don't you understand yet, girl... we (and Clay) are making our own cool! We ARE cool! It's the rest of the idjits who aren't... you know... the dilusional ones who think they are the cool ones. "I stick out my tongue at you" said in French Taunterese. :cryingwlaughter:

Interesting stuff about his backup on this cd. Very impressive. I do wonder why this was not brought out with the launch. Maybe they wanted the critics to do their thing, then it will be brought out and they can look like they have egg on their collective... faces! I hope, I hope!!!

Clay shocked many on Broadway with his talent. He's going to do more stuff that will shock people with his talent. Eventually enough people will be shocked that he will cease being the whipping boy for the too cool crowd. He's a strong man. He knows what he fighting against and exactly how not easy it's going to be. If it takes another five years of him continuing to excel at whatever he does, I'll still be here to applaud!

There are many things of Clay's that can light up somebody's world, aren't there? :whistling-1:

Welcome, Tijala! No need to be afraid...bottlecap really isn't as scary as she seems.... :whistling-1:

hee....

huh? Ohmigod! I wrote that out loud? :P

I keed because I love, bottle.. :lipstick:

bottle? :lilredani:

:flirtysmile3:

bottle?

:thgimme:

BOTTLE!?!?!??! Oh NO! :crapsign:

bottle?

:da_best:

This made me laugh out loud. Seriously.

Welcome, Tijala. :)

Luckiest - "eclectic" is a better word! Thank you.

I guess I don't agree that he's not doing too badly! Yes there are alot of artists out there that would kill to sell 100,000 CDs in 2 weeks but they aren't necessarily someone of Clay's stature. I just hope he doesn't drop in to oblivion in the coming weeks. To drop 81% the second week isn't exactly something to cheer about.

It's a beautiful CD and Berkeley's post just points out the care that was put in to making it! And it just makes me feel like there is so much prejudice out there against Clay that the asshat critics don't even bother to pay much attention to the CD or the musicians......it was Clay singing so therefore pfffft!!!

My concern is whether he'll be allowed to make CDs that only sell 100,000-200,000 copies. That was an impressive list of musicians and I don't imagine they came cheap. Kipper probably required more than $1.98 to produce the CD. So.....who pays for all that if the CD doesn't sell enough to break even for the label. Okay, I'm just going through some mental meanderings....what ifs and how comes. I don't expect answers.

Welcome. :) I think a big drop from week one to week two is typical for Clay, because he does have such a devoted fan base. Pretty few fans want to wait a week to hear what he has to offer! You also have to factor in the QVC sales which made up a pretty large percentage of his first week numbers. In any case, we will have to agree to differ on whether or not he is "doing well". I can't imagine a record label being stupid enough to drop someone who can come in at #4.......but what do I know? Nada. :cryingwlaughter: