#33: Let's all chant "I think it can! I think it can! I think it can!"

FCA Thread Title  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What should the next thread title be at FCA?

• So, how about that Clay Aiken?
    • The guy is just endlessly fascinating, isn't he?
    • Artificial insemination, well at least we know he had a hand in it.
    • If you claim he's got titanium balls, why not let him use them?
    • I'm happy to let Clay do whatever he wants.
    • I have ears and a brain and a heart, and I like what OMWH does to them.
    • Magical Mercurial Music Maker!
    • Clay--still the one.
    • In general, his voice just DOES something good to me. It makes things seem...better, somehow.

WOW. thx.gif

That info from Berkeley is impressive. I am not surprised tho, cause I notice the musicianship on the CD more and more each time I play it.

It took me several hours to catch up today, and it seemed like every page I got thru warranted another page to be aded to the list!!

If y'all are still interested in "How cha cha got her fandom started..." -- I'll tell you... [interjection: "she's going to tell, she's going to tell..."] :D

The summer of 2003 was really busy for me. #1 chachadotter had almost graduated from college and decided to get married in Sept. So no AI tour for me!! I wasn't even hooked up to the online fandom! I did, however, have some experience in jumping into bed with strangers by virtue of an All My Children message board and subsequent gatherings around the country following a country-rock band (Sons of the Desert).

In Oct I found the LBFCA and by Jan had jumped in with both feet by deciding (one night about 2 am) to buy tickets to the NCC basketball game where Clay was singing the NA. After driving 5 hours and taking a deep breath, my friend and I ventured into the restaurant in Charlotte and into the bosum of the Broads. (detailed account here)

When the IT arrived I couldnt' do just one!! I ended up back in Charlotte for the opening and then several more including Raleigh, Winston-Salem, St Louis (in which the highlight was throwing the red shorts up on the stage and having Clay pick them up!), DC (grainy but still niiiice!), St Paul to name a few!!

I had a blast in all those places!! The outstanding event was in St Paul when we were leaving the hotel and cmae out to find Clay's van pulling up!! I got to see him up close and personal for the first time for about 2 seconds!

The subsequent tours were equally as fun, but I didn't come here till about a year ago... and tho I'd met some posters here before (waves to Cotton, Kareneh, and Diva), I hadn't met very many until this past month at O'Lunney's in NYC. (I still have to post the pics I took there) There I saw Muski, Claygasm, Playbiller, Fear, Kareneh (tho not with the big group), couchie, luckiest, cindilu, annabear, duckyvee, and I'm sure I've forgotten someone!

I saw a bunch of eHP members at Diva's in Dec as well... KAndre, merriieee, scarlet, solo, 00lsee, perusingOne, kimieye..... and....... of course I had dinner with couchie and her lurker friend in SF in Nov! Oh, yeah, I met Zena at Diva's in February too, where is she lately, Diva too for that matter??

And I met ausdon in DC when she and her family were on that whirlwind tour of the east coast!!!

Needless to say, I think this fandom is TERRIFIC! and I wouldn't trade all these experiences for the all the money in the world!! (and needless to say [redundantly] I'd have a lot more money if it weren't for Clay!!) :F_05BL17blowkiss: & :hugs-1:TO ALL!!!

I embrace the Broads' motto of "IT'S ALL CLAY AIKEN'S FAULT!"

AND I LOVE HIM FOR IT!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

My issue is that people (not just iseeme talk about Clay's "stature" as an artist...compared to whom? His biggest selling album while impressive, still didn't actually make the top ten selling albums of 2003 (that would be 50 Cent, Norah Jones, Linkin Park, Evanescence, Outkast, Beyoncé, R. Kelly, Hilary Duff, Toby Keith and Coldplay) or 2004 (Usher, Norah Jones, Eminem, Kenny Chesney, Gretchen Wilson, Tim McGraw, Maroon 5, Evanesence, Ashlee Simpson, and "Now 16: Now That's What I Call Music!"). Remember Hillary Duff? Who has managed to sell 13 million albums so far? Whose last CD only went gold? Who, as far as I tell, is got bumpkiss in the way of promotion?

People do realize that 98% of released CDs sell less than 100,000? I've got some post around here that gave the breakdown - but honestly, even back in the day 100,000 is freakishly good. Gold and Platinum are the 1600 (or whatever the number is right now) of the SATs - most people just can't get that. Ever. And the way the music industry is changing...Those going gold in a week? Ain't gonna happen again. People are hearing his (and other people's) music - they just aren't buying it. That's an industry problem, not a Clay problem.

My issue is that people (not just iseeme talk about Clay's "stature" as an artist...compared to whom? His biggest selling album while impressive, still didn't actually make the top ten selling albums of 2003 (that would be 50 Cent, Norah Jones, Linkin Park, Evanescence, Outkast, Beyoncé, R. Kelly, Hilary Duff, Toby Keith and Coldplay) or 2004 (Usher, Norah Jones, Eminem, Kenny Chesney, Gretchen Wilson, Tim McGraw, Maroon 5, Evanesence, Ashlee Simpson, and "Now 16: Now That's What I Call Music!"). Remember Hillary Duff? Who has managed to sell 13 million albums so far? Whose last CD only went gold?

People do realize that 98% of released CDs sell less than 100,000? I've got some post around here that gave the breakdown - but honestly, even back in the day 100,000 is freakishly good. Gold and Platinum are the 1600 (or whatever the number is right now) of the SATs - most people just can't get that. Ever. And the way the music industry is changing...Those going gold in a week? Ain't gonna happen again. People are hearing his (and other people's) music - they just aren't buying it. That's an industry problem, not a Clay problem.

ITA. I think Clay's stature as a recording artist has always been somewhat inflated by the fandom. You can credit the AI machine for the lion's share of MOAM sales. That CD had all of AI and the aftermath and controversy as publicity. But after an first week of sales, his sales went down, down, down - and rather quickly. IMO, Clay was NEVER a superstar recording artist so to expect him to be treated like one or sell like one IMO is unrealistic. I have always thought he was more of a cultural phenom than a music phenom.

On the other hand, I don't think we have heard the last of this wonderful album. Do I think it will go platinum? No, I don't. I have my doubts about gold. But I do not think anyone at RCA or TC is giving up on it. I just cannot imagine they would assemble the people they did to record this CD just to give up on it after 2 weeks of promotion. I still think there is more to come we just don't know about. And I am still not giving up the possibility that in time OMWH may get a significant amount of radio play. Remember what Clay said - AC radio takes time.

Now maybe I am the one not being realistic but any other scenario makes no sense to me. I still believe in this album, in the future of Clay's career and in Clay.

I believe OMWH will be the little album that could.

I think it can. I think it can. I think it can.

My issue is that people (not just iseeme talk about Clay's "stature" as an artist...compared to whom? His biggest selling album while impressive, still didn't actually make the top ten selling albums of 2003 (that would be 50 Cent, Norah Jones, Linkin Park, Evanescence, Outkast, Beyoncé, R. Kelly, Hilary Duff, Toby Keith and Coldplay) or 2004 (Usher, Norah Jones, Eminem, Kenny Chesney, Gretchen Wilson, Tim McGraw, Maroon 5, Evanesence, Ashlee Simpson, and "Now 16: Now That's What I Call Music!"). Remember Hillary Duff? Who has managed to sell 13 million albums so far? Whose last CD only went gold? Who, as far as I tell, is got bumpkiss in the way of promotion?

KAndre... thanks for the info. A little perspective is a good thing. Just like somewhere I read that Usher didn't hit it big until he'd been in the biz for 10 years.

And... thanks for the recap! It is always a blast to read your recaps. I love them! You guys are a riot!

Scarlett... It's your turn, now!

You all are making sense. Even though when I spoke of Clay's stature I was thinking more of as a performer/celebrity/singer than just a singer. But.....as I said, you all are making sense. But I don't think it's just been the fandom that makes him to be a big star.....I mean he IS introduced as a multi-platinum recording artist, has sold 6 million CDs, etc. That's nothing to sniff at and it does carry some expectations in the industry I would guess. I get bogged down in the crappy reviews. I still think these people are somewhat prejudiced and don't give Clay Aiken the attention or respect they give others. I'll go kick one of the cats or something and get over it though.....honest.

Well, what started out in the AI thread as a sort of David Cook post kind of sprouted wings and horns. But there was some good conversation out of it. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I let Clay worry about his career and CD sales.

What the hell would I know about it?

I worry about important things....like how tight will his pants be? Will his butt show? You know, intellectual stuff.

I hadn't met very many until this past month at O'Lunney's in NYC. (I still have to post the pics I took there)

I know play and muski don't want their pictures posted, but I hope you can share some of the pics you took! I created a thread in Members Only for them. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I still think these people are somewhat prejudiced and don't give Clay Aiken the attention or respect they give others. I'll go kick one of the cats or something and get over it though.....honest.

Hee. I totally agree with you on this....they just don't. They probably never will. I guess I have come to accept it. Their opinion is not all that important to me.

My philosophy has always been to take life one day at a time, because we don't know what tomorrow will bring and that is how I approach Clay and his career...I am just going to enjoy his music and whatever happens next, happens...and I hope it will be just as exciting to the fandom as Spamalot was.

aikim, I love your philosophy, and I'm trying my best to adopt that as well.

*I think it can, I think it can, I think it can*

I let Clay worry about his career and CD sales.

What the hell would I know about it?

I worry about important things....like how tight will his pants be? Will his butt show? You know, intellectual stuff.

...Will he lose the butt without the nightly bottle dance to keep it in shape? OMG, no! :cry4:

Clay3-8-08.jpg

Leave it to wandacleo and bottlecap to emphasize the RIGHT things to worry about! Hee.

One year ago, in May 2007, I knew absolutely no one in the fandom. When I joined FCA last year and merrieeee realized that I live in the Houston area, she invited me to lunch one Saturday last May and I drove 60 miles across town and met merrieeee, KAndre, Kareneh, Scarlett, and Solo standing outside a barbecue joint. Soon 00lsee and PerusingOne arrived. After what I would learn to be a typically loud and boisterous eHP lunch, we departed for Hobby Lobby, and I was officially inducted into the group when KAndre forced me to buy glitter. My compliance bestowed everlasting minionhood. Yes, I bought several colors of glitter, what of it? Next I found myself at merrieeee's house where PerusingOne opened her travel bags and produced this contraband known as Cheez Doodles, which were devoured by the lovers of cheez, which apparently is everyone in the eHP other an me. It's the "Official Snack of the eHP" -- only you can't get it in Texas.

Plans were made to meet in two weeks to work on nametags. Clay soap. and slipknots for tiny horses. For that work session, I summoned my sister, an arts & craps aficionado who possesed not one, but TWO glue guns. By the time the evening ended -- oh wait, the evening didn't end -- by the next morning I was committed to seeing Clay Aiken for the first time ever in Dallas. The eHP makes offers you can't refuse. Be forewarned if you haven't met them, they are highly addictive.

So when July 4th FINALLY rolled around, I trek back to merrieeee's, and after Scarlett finally showed up, and I met Playbiller for the first time, and after KAndre happily accepted the red, white and blue sparkly/glittery cap (because we minions have responsibilities), it's off to my Virgin Clay Experience. That afternoon in Dallas, KAndre and I make a run to Love Field to pick up muskifest and Claygasm.

After spending the night in Dallas at the home of a total stranger, who was the most congenial and lovely person, it's back to Houston with Playbiller and I drop her off at the Hyatt in downtown Houston, but not before going the wrong way down a one way street. I have worked in downtown Houston for over 25 years. I know it like the back of my hand. So, I suppose the fact that I was going the wrong way on Clay Street evidenced the complete fog I was in. I know Play was relieved when I pulled up at the Hyatt!

The next day I went to a pre-show confab and met many, many people, and hooked up with ldyjocelyn who would be spending the night with axe-murderers my sister and me. Following that unforgettable concert, ldyjocelyn invited my sister and I up to her room, and that's where I first met HeidiHo -- whom I would later meet in another hotel room in NJ! (I love you, HeidiHo!)

Next morning it was on to Tulsa and as soon as we got to the hotel we ran into our roomie Clayzorback -- who is the cutest thing and most dynamic and fun person to be with. Yeah, security was calling the room that night, probably because I could never learn to laugh quietly .. especially after the best damned martinis in the world! Clayzor is not only a gourmet cook, she makes a bad-ass martini. And then I met sheiladownunder and thoroughly enjoyed hearing of the escapades of Clayzor and sheila as they searched for ice on an upper floor. Hmmmmm.

I flew alone to Florida last August and was picked up by another stranger who wouldn't be a stranger for long -- Kimiye! (Oh Kimiye, I really look forward to seeing you in Houston soon!) Kimiye and I arrived at the hotel at the same time the eHP were literally falling out of their car, having just returned from another roller coaster experience and finding a new cell phone for KAndre who left hers at Busch Gardens. Florida was just a gas all the way around -- Clay was magnificent and funny and wonderful and it was all just FUN. I got to know the lovely Ficus, such a sweetie she is. I also got to know/see/sit by/observe some of the notorious fans and some of the nicest fans -- and even had a FC experience that was such bullshit I still can't believe anybody swallowed that crap.

I didn't make any Christmas shows because that old thing called WORK. Dammit. But did enjoy another eHP dinner in February when muskifest was in town, and we all got to meet the lovely Desertrose. Hope to see you again soon, DR!

I went to NY with the eHP in April and saw Spamalot five times, and it wasn't enough!!! I finally got to meet the fabulous Couch Tomato, eeeeeeeeeeee, and her friend whose screen name I don't know (if she has a screen name), and the beautiful ShellyC, all the while wandering around the city with 00lsee (such a doll, she is) and the amazing merrieeee-Jane, and rooming with HeidiHo, who I think I'm now engaged to. The rest of the eHP were riding wooden roller coasters and eating PhillyFood! At Spamalot I was able to reconnect with Claygasm and Playbiller, although too briefly.

So welcome to all the newbies. The way things have gone for me in the past twelve months, there's a good chance that you could be sleeping with me in a strange town before long! So be nice! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

ITA. I think Clay's stature as a recording artist has always been somewhat inflated by the fandom. You can credit the AI machine for the lion's share of MOAM sales. That CD had all of AI and the aftermath and controversy as publicity. But after an first week of sales, his sales went down, down, down - and rather quickly. IMO, Clay was NEVER a superstar recording artist so to expect him to be treated like one or sell like one IMO is unrealistic. I have always thought he was more of a cultural phenom than a music phenom.

Great post, Claygasm. I totally agree.

I do think that Clay has made a choice to sing the kinds of songs that feel authentic to him, knowing that they may not be the most radio-friendly or commercial songs out there. He has often said he is not cool, and quite frankly, he doesn't seem particularly interested in becoming cool. It's quite possible that his musical tastes will never be perfectly aligned with widespread popular tastes. He is going to be himself, and if that means he doesn't become a superstar, so be it.

It's a risk, and at this time, it certainly can seem a bit scary. However, I've come to believe that it is more important to him to feel true to himself than to have success in the music industry. I still think he's ambitious. I'm sure he wants to continue to be able to tour and sell CD's. But I just have this feeling that the stubborn streak in him that caused him to become a vegetarian for two years may also make him unwilling to change himself just to achieve airplay and/or "cool" status. Clay made the kind of album he wanted to make. If it succeeds or fails, it's on his terms, and I think he understood that going in.

Personally, I tend to doubt that Clay will ever drift too far away from the kind of music he makes now. Those who want "rocker" Clay, IMHO, shouldn't hold their breath. I think all we can do is appreciate him for who he is, even if he never becomes the next Elvis.

But I also believe that anything is possible, and with the right set of circumstances, he could be a superstar. It might take just the right song in the right situation, a perfect role in a perfect project, or some unexpected, unplanned set of events that cause people to take note of his gifts. However, I do think it can happen. He's too talented to be written off entirely.

Next morning it was on to Tulsa

*puts on concert ho hat again* I was there! :D

Loving all the recaps of getting in cars with and sleeping in hotel rooms with strangers who could be axe murderers!

I hadn't met very many until this past month at O'Lunney's in NYC. (I still have to post the pics I took there)

I know play and muski don't want their pictures posted, but I hope you can share some of the pics you took! I created a thread in Members Only for them. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I still think these people are somewhat prejudiced and don't give Clay Aiken the attention or respect they give others. I'll go kick one of the cats or something and get over it though.....honest.

Hee. I totally agree with you on this....they just don't. They probably never will. I guess I have come to accept it. Their opinion is not all that important to me.

lucky - send me a link to that members only thread will you?? :F_05BL17blowkiss:

message to anyone who was at O'Lunney's - I will blur your faces if you want me to....

As soon as I saw the post by berkeley brought over from CH I thought of keepingfaith. She knows a lot more about music than I do and I wanted to know what her take on it was!

So....kf where are you?

Ok, on another note, isn't Gibby from the Denver area? Scary tornado there today. Check in Gibby! Hope you're ok!

Aw, thanks for thinking of me, CG! Yeah, a tornado touched down northeast of us yesterday. I've been too buuuusy since then to check in! Everything's okay, though.

Welcome, Tijala! I'm glad you jumped in and started posting!

BWAH..I thought somebody was playing a trick on me. heh. I'm all into the latest technology EXCEPT when it comes to phones. All I care is that I can dial and get someone. Hell I don't even do call waiting. If it's important, they'll call back. :cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter: Oh and trying to text back Lucky was hilarious... I tried for like 20 minutes to simply say...I'll be there in 30 minutes, then I gave up!!

BWAH! I got a text that said "Pp". cindilu2 translated it as "please phone" in shorthand. I thought maybe she had to go to the bathroom. :cryingwlaughter: Apparently, we were both wrong!

:cryingwlaughter: That made me laugh really hard!!

I agree with the posters who are saying that Clay is making the kind of music he wants to make, regardless of whether it's cool or not. I, for one, am glad that he's being true to himself. I think that 'success' at doing whatever is popular, even if it's at odds to oneself, would be very hollow. Particularly to someone as intelligent and discerning as Clay.

And I very, very much enjoyed the information about the CD musicians from Berkeley. Doesn't surprise me a bit that they've played for so many well-known and respected artists. I noticed immediately that the musicianship and production on this album is top-notch.

And now, I'm off to Indiana Jones with my family. Should be fun!

Next morning it was on to Tulsa

*puts on concert ho hat again* I was there! :D

Damn it -- I could have met you that night? Damn it!

What I think is funny retrospect is this kind of thing -- being at the same concert as annabear and realizing that we could have known each other that much sooner, but it took more message board postings at FCA for it to happen. The same thing has happened MANY times -- I know I met playbiller, FearofH2O and luckiest1 at the Winston-Salem IT. And yet, now we KNOW each other, and we can't wait to get together again!

Lurkers, just try to dip you feet in from time-to-time. I swear we don't bite... Really, we don't.

Yep, ldyj! I wasn't posting much anywhere last summer, but I was listening to the CV cellstream when the SRHP tour kicked off and decided literally at the last minute I was going to go to Tulsa. I was already taking the rest of the week off work, so why not take a little roadtrip? :whee:

To reply to Clay related stuff in the AI thread.....

I'm just not so sure that he can afford to be eccentric in his song choices anymore. I love OMWH but it's clearly for his fans and perhaps not a wider audience? Just posing that little gem. When people keep cracking on his song choices but praise his voice than clearly there's some kind of a message there. Not so sure Clay cares to listen though - he loves this CD and the concept and the songs. I guess the next CD will tell us what he's learned from this one. I sure do hope its a sleeper though.

I think that your "eccentric" is Clay's personal preference in song choice. He prolly thinks hip-hop is eccentric. This is where I think there is the biggest divide in fandom - some want to hear and see what he chooses to do next, some are sure that if he sings different songs and does other things differently, he would get more popular acclaim. Clay seems to have told us that he is gonna do as he likes, not pick stuff just because it is "marketable". I don''t get the impression that being a pop star is the only thing that he wants to do or that matters the very most to him. Don't think he will start to choose songs to please reviewers or individual fans either, JMO.

I think he is creatng his own niche, not trying to fit in any of the ones fans or critics have wanted him to change himself for.

Also firmly believe that when he does change things, it is because he wants to and not because of "market research".

I just want to word this whole post; my feelings exactly...I think there would be a lot less angst in the fandom if some would just accept Clay for who is instead of trying to mold him into who they want him to be.

There are day when I really want to ask some of the more critical fans why they are here; it seems like Clay will never live up to what they think he should be so why not move to a "pop star" who will meet their criteria for a successful "pop star".

Kim

Kim,

I was thinking about posting about this, but did not know exactly what i wanted to say, without being too wordy and critical.

So, I will just WORD you, as this is exactly the way I feel.

merrieeee, the guys that Berkeley referenced from the OMWH sessions are part of the more current Steely Dan sessions and tours, but not from their halcyon days.

FYI: Nathaniel Kunkel is the nephew of Cass Elliott.

The men on this CD are the longtime Steely Dan band, backing Donald Fagen and Walter Becker --- and not a single one of these “music critics” recognized them or their musicianship.

Depends on whether by "longtime" you mean back in the glory days of Steely Dan -- the 70's and early 80's -- which they are not. The Steely Dan band of fame was Fagen and Becker -- with Jeff Baxter, Jim Hodder, Michael McDonald, Denny Dias, and David Palmer. I haven't done any research on the OMWH musicians, but no doubt they are first class session players if they are in the current Steely Dan touring/recording family. Fagan and Becker are known for being exacting and temperamental taskmasters so they would only be working with consummate professionals.

I'm finally cooling off -- not 'cause I'm mad, but because the compressor went out in my AC yesterday. And it was a Hot Mess in Houston yesterday and today. Fortunately the compressor was still under warranty so only had to pay $600 for labor, but still I may need to order a small cup of gumbo at the eHP lunch next week. Or half a crawfish poorboy! That would fit. It's taken a couple of hours, but it's cool again and I can finally breathe! Ahhhhhhhh.

Interested to read about everyone's "lowered expectations" and I'm not going there in my mind, because it's always been about how important Clay is to ME. Tell me who are the superstars today. Nigel Lythgoe said that the AI Finale this year would have "the biggest star in the world" -- was that George Michael? Maybe in his opinion. But I don't know anyone else who thinks so. Is it Beyonce? Timberlake? Celine Dion? Madonna? There's no consensus about the biggest and best of anything, and especially something as subjective as music. And since Clay is the ONLY person I've traveled to see, that makes him the biggest star in the world for one kf. That's not subject to change.

As many times as it's been repeated that the record business is on the way out, so many get up in arms about record sales. Clay made a major move this year. He expanded his celebrity and experience to a starring role on Broadway in a highly acclaimed limited run. He has cred as a singer, he has cred as a personality, and now he has cred as a first-class actor and comedian. And his friends in the business are the movers and shakers. If someone needs to reel in their enthusiasm because he didn't sell more records than Neil Diamond and Toby Keith, so be it. If you want to go crazy because he had a 78% fall off in the second week, well Madonna had a 71% fall off on her second week. So? The business is tanking and at a rapidly expanding rate of tanking.

I mention Clay Aiken to very few people who don't know who he is. He's in the collective consciousness. And he's out there still learning, growing and showing us more of himself. OMWH is excellent music. If some of the LA-scene critics don't like it, I'm not surprised because it isn't Top 40 club music, which is what they're interested in . So what? Is anybody saying Clay Aiken can't sing? I haven't heard that. Are they saying he's not putting out the music they like to listen to? Yeah, some are. But I don't listen to the tripe they like either so we're even. I discount their opinions, with cause. To each his own. And Clay is all my own in my world of music appreciation. Please do not disturb this adoring fan.

Fans always come and go for whatever reason, and I wouldn't spend 5 minutes of my time trying to determine why. No one seems to be able to foretell the future, any more than they can agree on the past.

So my suggestion is to, in the immoral words of Adam Clayton Powell, KEEP THE FAITH, BABY!

ETA: I learned my lesson on critics many moons ago. There was a time when I gave critics more power than deserved, and as a result I bought many albums that I gave away or threw away. I went to see many movies that I left wishing I had my $5 back. I bought too many books that were left unfinished because they were Terrible! I soon learned that there were a couple of critics that I had respect for, but I still wouldn't give them undue influence. And there were many more critics that in writing why they gave a movie only one star, or a thumbs down, would mention a criticism of it that compelled me to see it. These comprise some of my favorite movies. Hasn't this happened to anyone else? I've always thought that critics are a passing thing for people as they figure out where their individual tastes and inclinations are in relation to another's critical assessment. Then when it comes to these flash-in-the-pan internet reviewers. How can you trust that? Whether you're inclined to agree and disagree, just any self-proclaimed arbiter of taste on the internet should be viewed with a jaundiced eye.

But the member's only thread is really not for member's only. Its still on a public board. I have to ask that my picture not be posted either. For some reason it makes me a tad uncomfortable. And I am sure my lurker friend who was there that night would feel the same.

However, I would love it if someone could PM me the pictures of everyone. Can't we you just PM the pictures to everyone who was there???

Great post, Claygasm. I totally agree.

I do think that Clay has made a choice to sing the kinds of songs that feel authentic to him, knowing that they may not be the most radio-friendly or commercial songs out there. He has often said he is not cool, and quite frankly, he doesn't seem particularly interested in becoming cool. It's quite possible that his musical tastes will never be perfectly aligned with widespread popular tastes. He is going to be himself, and if that means he doesn't become a superstar, so be it.

It's a risk, and at this time, it certainly can seem a bit scary. However, I've come to believe that it is more important to him to feel true to himself than to have success in the music industry. I still think he's ambitious. I'm sure he wants to continue to be able to tour and sell CD's. But I just have this feeling that the stubborn streak in him that caused him to become a vegetarian for two years may also make him unwilling to change himself just to achieve airplay and/or "cool" status. Clay made the kind of album he wanted to make. If it succeeds or fails, it's on his terms, and I think he understood that going in.

Personally, I tend to doubt that Clay will ever drift too far away from the kind of music he makes now. Those who want "rocker" Clay, IMHO, shouldn't hold their breath. I think all we can do is appreciate him for who he is, even if he never becomes the next Elvis.

But I also believe that anything is possible, and with the right set of circumstances, he could be a superstar. It might take just the right song in the right situation, a perfect role in a perfect project, or some unexpected, unplanned set of events that cause people to take note of his gifts. However, I do think it can happen. He's too talented to be written off entirely.

Jenna, I've missed wording you! So here's a big fat word! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

This is REALLLY off topic, but does anyone have any clue as to why a remote for the TV would just stop working? And yes, I just changed the batteries and that didn't help. It isn't "talking" to the TV.

Thank God it wasn't a Kimmel or Leno night.......